eurochild

Members
  • Content Count

    193
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About eurochild

  • Rank
    Member

Profile Information

  • Location
    Auckland

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. eurochild

    AC 36 Protocol

    Presume that's re "Each competitor is only permitted to sail one boat at a time... [except the defender during the challenger series]". What's the thinking there (re the first part not the defender part), trying to even the playing field for 2 vs 1 boat challenges?
  2. eurochild

    AC 36 Protocol

    Thanks Indio, was just reading same. That just seems to step back to the circa 2000 expectations so nothing too dramatic. Should still provide plenty of opportunity for people in Warkworth I'd think. One other thing in the dates is that the Challenger entry cutoff is in June, ahead of the venue confirmation cutoff in August, though it says 31 Dec 2018 for "Late entries close"
  3. eurochild

    AC 36 Protocol

    Also, +1 that having the COR as the title sponsor is a bit suss. The Louis Vuitton Cup is quite a tradition by now. And the party starting in Auckland from late 2019 with super high tech 75 footers - brilliant, can't wait.
  4. eurochild

    AC 36 Protocol

    Nationality rule a little stiffer than I would have guessed. Good on them though. (A bit confusing; it's 20% citizens + the remaining 80% doing 380 days residency - so 100% have some level of requirement). I'd think the 380 days might be a bit challenging even for well-meaning mercenaries given that they are probably travelling with other regattas (Volvo etc) and then from summer 2019 they'll need to spend a lot of time in Auckland. No Constructed in Country mentioned? And no questions about it? Did I miss something? Or would that be expected to be part of the design rule.
  5. eurochild

    So were ETNZ cyclors a factor or neutral

    NP. And I'll stick to my interpretation ;-) Thanks Herald for the misleading title.
  6. eurochild

    So were ETNZ cyclors a factor or neutral

    Thanks @Sailbydate His previous comments on the topic I'd interpreted more to mean that stored power is going away so the dynamics will change. e.g. This story which could be read either way. America's Cup: Cyclors set to be banned from next event, says Grant Dalton but if it literally means cyclors as such are banned (presumably this has been confirmed elsewhere) then I guess we wait to see it crop up more outside the AC.
  7. eurochild

    So were ETNZ cyclors a factor or neutral

    This one has probably been discussed but given the above, will we see non-cycle grinding again? (Except for minor winches or if explicitly outlawed...)
  8. eurochild

    Team NZ

    The bit at the end about the benefits of isolation was interesting too.
  9. eurochild

    AC36 - The Venue

    Just as we in NZ will remember this Cup for the 5am starts, and I remember late nights watching the Auckland Cup when I lived in New York. For those that love the sport it is part of the experience. (Actually, 5am was quite convenient once you got used to it. Though it made the rest of the day boring as hell). But I think we would have to agree that for the "casual viewer" it poses a little more of a challenge.
  10. eurochild

    Team NZ

    ART beat ORA 13 times in a row in practice. In the round robin ETNZ beat ART twice (one very close) but loses to ORA both times, in one case the gold medalist Burling getting himself in a clumsy position to be luffed away from the top mark. It's an opaque sort of event... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAaot_LM4j8&feature=youtu.be&t=2h1m15s
  11. eurochild

    AC36 - The Venue

    Well after looking at the website for the COR I'm happy enough to go there, cup or no cup! http://www.circolodellavela.it/ita/index.asp AC36 is going to be great and after all the squabbling dies down Auckland will end up with some cool new bits of infrastructure I'm sure. The overseas naysayers and whiners have to my eyes only one valid concern. Time zone.
  12. eurochild

    AC36 - The Venue

    Yeah on those 50 footers that course is about 1 minute long...
  13. eurochild

    What was your favorite race/moment?

    ART sailing out of control over the boundary line on the windy day. ETNZ skipping a gybe and overtaking by heading low low low to the mark Race 6.
  14. eurochild

    Team NZ

    Thanks @react F'n "skiff generation" ;-)
  15. eurochild

    Team NZ

    Certainly a strange choice in the circumstances. Talking of crusty, I'm too old to know what ETNZ chose, sounds like they had some fun with it, was it Mr West?