sailjunke

Members
  • Content count

    11
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

sailjunke last won the day on July 23

sailjunke had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

33 Kiss-ass

About sailjunke

  • Rank
    Newbie

Profile Information

  • Location
    Rockwall, TX - RCYC
  • Interests
    anything on the water

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. sailjunke

    Sharkskin

    First gen 3Di - a.k.a. Deck rippers and hardware busters
  2. They lost their mast in the Mac last year (I was on the Transpac) and again in another race after that. When I made the decision and told the owner, I asked if a rigger tunes the rig after the yard stepped the mast. He did t and only relied on the yard. Big mistake IMO. The forestry was too long, the backstay wouldn’t allow you pull to max, and I felt the strouds were too long (I cranked the shrouds so that the turnbuckle touched the nut and I still couldn’t reach max tension on the shrouds). They have since addressed the forestry and backstay but not the shrouds, as far as I know.
  3. I just did this iin this years Chicago Mac (the boat had a new mast put on and there were rigging issues and too much play in the mast for the conditions). Here are thoughts on how to best approach this discussion: 1. Know your facts. Don’t just tell him/her it is unsafe; be specific. I spent several hours measuring and testing the rig, and discussed the rig findings with a couple of riggers I know and trust. I gave the owner a list of areas that were unsafe for the conditions. One or more issues individually were reason enough to pull the plug. Combined it was a no brainer. 2. Don’t rely on your judgement alone. I have over 20 years and 10,000 miles offshore experience, as a watch captain and boat manager. However, I still discussed the situation with two riggers I trust, a pro sailor I have known for years, and two owners of like boats. I used this data as part of my fact finding discussion mentioned in item #1 above. 3. Once you make your decision, be steadfast, don’t second guess, and speak with conviction (with supporting facts). 4. Depending on your position on the boat, you may be liable. I was the watch captain for the boat. I would not take the boat in the conditions forecasted knowing There were weaknesses that could be catastrophic. With my experience, position on the boat, and knowledge of the issues, I would have been liable for any loss of life or limb. 5. Let go of the struggle in making the decision. It is ultimately the boat owners decision for a no-go. Stick with your decision and let go of what the owner decides. The owner of this boat let a much less experienced crew talk him into trying to get replacement crew for me and my buddy (also very experienced). I found out and gave them a tongue lashing in an email, which I probably shouldn’t have done. Fortunately for them, they didn’t find the crew and the boat sat at the dock. Needless to say, the poor decision making by the owner and other crew solidified my decision to never sail on this boat again.
  4. sailjunke

    Available to Crew in Dallas

    Either day. There are standing races Saturday afternoon. Come by around noon.
  5. sailjunke

    Available to Crew in Dallas

    Come out to Rush Creek Yacht Club on Lake Ray Hubbard in Heath. Plenty of opportunities on various boats.
  6. sailjunke

    Looking for a ride in HK

    PM me. I have a couple of contacts at the RHKYC. They have a really good sport boat program, and if you like to trap, get on a Magic 25.
  7. sailjunke

    CHI-MAC Race Wx

    I couldn’t agree more. The owner of the boat I was supposed to be on brought me in from out of state to help with the race (this would have been my fourth Mac on this boat). The boat lost their rig not too long ago and had a new rig recently stepped. Before arriving, one of the regular crew notified me that the mast seemed to be bouncing during a recent race. When I arrived to the boat on Thursday, the first thing I did was pull on the forestay to see how much the rig actually moved. It came forward about 8”. Big concern. We measured the forestay and checked against the boat class specificactions. All good there. The shrouds were at base, so I cranked them down to max. If it moved then, there would be serious issues in the race. Pulled the forestay again - 5” of forward movement. One more thing to try...went hard on the backstay, still 2-3” of forward flex. My mind was made up (I have over 20 years experience and over 10k offshore miles), but I still wanted additional opinions. I called a couple of rigger and pro friends who 100% agreed with my synopsis. My buddy and I made the decision Friday morning to not sail this boat, informed the owner of our decision, and strongly encouraged him to pull the boat from the race (which he eventually did). The boat was not safe for those conditions. I tried to hop on another boat Saturday morning, but that is always difficult as boats are usually all set that close to start. As fate would have it, this is why I was sitting at the CYC bar when the MOB call came in and took action to help. Delivering this bad news is extremely difficult as I’m fully aware of the money and time it takes to prepare for a big race. However, there is no amount of money or time that trumps safety. I never once questioned or regretted my decision to pull the boat from the race. I met several of the Imedi team Friday night and enjoyed drinks with this great group of people. My heart goes out to Jon’s team and family.
  8. sailjunke

    CHI-MAC Race Wx

    Thanks, Jorge. I couldn’t just sit around. I’ll be at the club Wednesday night and fill you guys in.
  9. sailjunke

    CHI-MAC Race Wx

    I participated in the search yesterday and it is time to speak up to counter all the arm chair quarter backs... I made a no go decision with the boat owner (who brought me up to help with the race) Friday night due to rigging issues. I was sitting at the bar enjoying a dark and stormy when the MOB call came in. Staring me in the face was an 86’ Viking with a three level fly bridge. My first thought was that would be a great boat to help in the search. I decided to see if the owner and/or captain were on boat and ask if they’d be willing to help. Both were on board, visiting from Florida, and immediately they agreed to assist in the search. We hailed the USCG, they gave coordinates, and we went out. The search grid was only 5 miles from CYC. USCG had us set up a 1.5 mile east/west and .2 mile south turn grid pattern. We did this until the USCG called off the search. I was on the fly bridge with binocs actively looking the entire time. The weather was ridiculous with breaking waves and spray from the waves were blowing over the top of fly bridge. After a couple of hours, I identified one target about 500 yards off our bow and my heart skipped a beat. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a black rubber fender. There were over 20 boats and three helicopters out there running crossing grids over nearly 50 square miles. Until you have done a search pattern in weather, you have no clue what it is like search for a needle in a haystack. And completely impossible to locate any targets at night in those conditions. The Imedi team continued to search well past the USCG calling off the search (after nearly 8 hours). It was sobering, and if you weren’t out there, keep your bullshit speculation to yourself. A huge thank you to David who owns the Viking 86 (pictured) for not hesitating to go out and burn $1000’s in fuel to helo in the search.