So this is where those who have bagged this AC, fall over. First, you pick apart the protocol claiming its unfair (even though no one has complained about it) then you complain about the new class of boat saying "Its too expensive, and too dangerous, and they should've just stayed with the Cats" and "The Boat is stupid, GR75, JC75 yada yada yada) when the number of existing/ accepted/ Potential Challengers would seem to discredit that argument altogether. Then you said the CoR shouldn't have Veto rights, even though according to the Deed Of Gift, MUTUAL CONSENT exists only between Defender and Challenger, therefor its the only way it could work. Also, the last time LR gave up their Veto rights, they were shafted by a group of Challengers beholden to Larry Ellison and his vision.
Then you said "Dalton complained during AC34 about costs and now he's being a hypocrite) So take your earmuffs off for a second and stop screaming lalalala so you actually understand WHY and HOW the situation differs.
* AC34 was much more expensive than AC32, it was a new class of boat, and a new direction. It was steered away from Monohulls into Multihulls
* First we had Mascalzone Latino who were CoR following BMW Oracle's win in Valencia in 2010.
* They soon withdrew due to the costs being too high (something Dalton argued many times, and was ultimately correct)
* Artemis Racing became CoR
* ETNZ and LR entered making 3 Challengers. LR was late and bought a design package off ETNZ
* Artemis suffered disaster, after disaster, after disaster and were bundled out by LR.
* ETNZ introduces Foiling, which becomes the new norm in the Americas Cup.
* Last minute Rule Changes directly impact the Cup match, ETNZ is not able to adapt and overcome, and they lose the Cup.
* Bermuda happens, two CoR's withdraw, one due to costs being too high (Again) the other due to their own Naivety thinking if they waived their veto rights as CoR, the Challengers would work together to defeat the Challenger, where the opposite happened and the challengers worked together to try and help the Defender retain.
A whole slew of underhanded tactics on the part of ACEA/ Oracle Team USA to try and stop the ETNZ/ LR partnership failed in its attempts.
* ETNZ wins the Cup
* They introduce the AC75, they attract what is now 5 Challengers, with potential for more, still those who "disagree" with Dalton say he's a hypocrite, when in reality, the costs compared to the previous cycle aren't that different. To your average everyday non-sailor, YES they are ridiculous, but they've always been ridiculous! they've never been cheap, even in Bermuda the costs skyrocketed.
in terms of previous costs they're actually not that different. Its all relative. The previous cycle was supposedly also focused on cost-cutting, yet we still only had 5 teams, and we had teams spending hundreds of millions of dollars on their campaigns. Max Sirena (The Skipper of a current AC team) said a team could compete this time around on a 50-60 million dollar budget, the problem is the good old Sailing Anarchy folks who obviously know better, don't believe him! haha!
The real issue is, they're bitter because ETNZ won, and Dalton was right all along. They want LR to give up their CoR rights again, even though they got shafted last time because of it.
They want a "Cheap event" (Even when there has NEVER been a cheap event). They bitched and moaned about only 3 challengers, and how its a failure because there's not many teams, and now they're bitching and moaning because there's too many and they're hoping there won't be any more entries because that would mean more teams than last time and they can't bitch and moan about costs anymore (even though they will) and they only want teams who are serious about winning this time, and teams focused on the future are a waste of time anyway.
They think Dalton is a hypocrite because he complained about costs during AC34 , even though he was right.
They think the AC75 is stupid and too dangerous, even though Bernasconi has said they are doing everything they can to mitigate the chances of harm to boats and sailors (The problem is, again those same old Sailing Anarchy posters don't believe the head of a design team who clearly out-designed every other team, because they somehow know better than he does)
They think the AC75 is "Stupid" even though no team has bagged the AC75 and is excited and looking forward to sailing it, but of course, they're lying because what else are they)
They think the Press is bias towards ETNZ and they don't like people who quote stories from the Press, because the Press only report the "Favorable stuff"
All of the reasons for bagging this Cup are all BS. Yet they still put their fingers in their ears and yell lalalala because they don't want to hear the truth.