Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wjquigs

Delaware Bay

Does anybody sail on the Delaware Bay? Seems like not, and I'm wondering why. Everybody is so gaga about Annapolis/Chesapeake and all I see there is crazy overcrowding, 2 hours of traffic to get to your boat, marinas that fill up 2 months in advance, and too many opportunities to run aground. In my fantasy world where I win the lottery, I have my choice of 0.1 acre with a mooring on the Chesapeake, or 10 acres with a dock on the Delaware. Which should I choose?

Bill

Delware Bay has very little, in fact almost no sheltering harbors for keel boats. There are a few creeks off of the main bay here and there but they are shallow. If you have waterfront right on the bay, it would be a great place to have small boats, catamarans, or windsurfers.

I've made several deliveries up and down the Delaware Bay. There's a tremendous volume of large shipping traffic that plies that route. Other than the shipping channel, much of the Delaware is shallow. Because of that shallow depth, coupled with the fetch off the Atlantic, it can get very rough. I would not want to keep a boat there for pleasure sailing or racing. From my experience, it's a waterway to get past, not one to live and sail on.

Full disclorure: I sail on the Chesapeake and love it.

...FC

I grew up on Broadkill Beach north of Lewis NEVER saw anybody with a boat power OR sail that did not get beached using those air rollers as you could walk 500 feet off the beach in most places no problem

Even in Lewis with plenty of docks there might have been sailboats but not many

If you can get a boat on the Delaware, then where would you go? Cape May would probably get old as it's the only reasonable destination short of Trenton/Philly. There's a whole lotta nothin' 'twixt the two. Delaware Bay is not a destination, it's a place to get through as quickly as possible.

Of all the places I've been on the water... Delaware Bay is without question the last place I wish to return to. And I'm including the oversized frog pond near where I grew up.

about the only thing that can use the Delaware without worrying about traffic or depth is a windsurfer, adn not too many places even then. From a few miles north of Lewes all the way north it's an unpleasant, industrial collection of mudflat and shite. As others have said, a place to be gotten through, not linger. Not even the same universe as the Chesapeake, much less the same league.

you guys are harsh- but truthful. I was trying to be diplomatic and not rag on the Delware Bay too much. But you are right. As far as sailing keelboats on the Delware, not good.

The Delaware, is that not just the body of water that connects the Cape May canal and the C & D?

Which crappy, square, brown, 4-6ft wave would you like today ?

Go to the Cheaspeake and do not look back..

Sail safe!

I had never sailed on the Delaware until I delivered my first 40' Freedom from Deale to Boston. We had a great day from Deale to the C&D, then set out for Cape May the next day. That was probably the hardest that Perkins ever worked in its entire 25 year life. I thought we were never going to get past the power plant. we ended up having to 'tack' our way under power down the Del. just to make headway. When we got to the entrance and turned for Cape May, the seas smoothed out like we were back on the Chesapeake. Then the engine died, choked out from all the crap the Delaware had stirred up in the tank. Next time, I'm going the long way, outside.

have moved boat up and down the delaware many times. not really much to see. cape may , lewes, wilmington and phila .

powerful currents make it difficult to sail in. saw a fleet large cruisers racing in the northern delaware in september. some sailing in cape may and lewes but all day sailing.

I've made several deliveries up and down the Delaware Bay. There's a tremendous volume of large shipping traffic that plies that route. Other than the shipping channel, much of the Delaware is shallow. Because of that shallow depth, coupled with the fetch off the Atlantic, it can get very rough. I would not want to keep a boat there for pleasure sailing or racing. From my experience, it's a waterway to get past, not one to live and sail on.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Full disclosure, I DON'T sail on the Chesapeake (all that much, WLIS guy myself for the most part) - What he said is spot on.

Have transited Delaware Bay many times in vessels big and small here is my opinion- In a large vessel (100' +) it is the most boring body of water on the planet. In a small vessel it is the most miserable body of water on the planet.

The State of Delaware should get an additional congress seat for the amount of people that bay has made absolutely miserable.

...FC

what he said.. DelBay is a yawnfest

Awhile ago someone was bitching about Naptown having so many boats, no place to park, expensive slips, etc., which made it a horrible place to have a regatta.

I suggested that there were towns on Delaware Bay that would pay THEM to park :lol:

I've been in hurricanes and Gulf Stream storms, but the outright nastiest sail I ever did was a beat from the C&D to Cape May.

...FC

what he said.. DelBay is a yawnfest

I get to Broadkill a few times a year. A lot of beach cats in evidence, above the tide line, but seldom see one out. Could be a fun place to get a beach cat fleet together...not sure one exists.

Spinal Tap wrote a song dedicate to Delaware Bay

Cape May Point is better....fewer tourons.

Nice beach (day trip), lacks the fine dining, great pubs and ginger bread architecture Cape May is famous for.