hhn92

J35 Anarchist

Funny to see someone asking about cruising a J35. We're wondering about the same thing. Looking for a dual purpose boat for Maine and coastal racing. How are these boats holding up structurally? I know that its totally dependent on how the boat was treated but assuming a dry boat that's never been wet, is there any reason for concern about durability?

I have cruised mine a lot(when I am not racing). They are fast enough that I rarely us anything but the delivery main(with slugs) and a #3 jib. Storage is not real wonderful, but I am able to use one qberth for big stuff like the inflatable boat and sails. I do not have pressure or hot water, but I have never had it on any of my boats and don't miss it now. I do miss not having counter space around the stove. My dad built me a sink cover and I have seen removable "side table" installed on the bulkeads between the stove and settee berth.

Mine is a 1985 (#117) and seems to be holding up well.

This is pretty right on, as you will not have all the amenities of a true cruiser, but with some creativity you can have an enjoyable time with the boat.

Our only issue is the depth factor. Around Fla. some of the nice spots you would like to go are not accomodating for a 7' draft.

Our '84 model has had the work around the bad spots done, and is still solid.

Strip her out and she is still fast, too.

Funny to see someone asking about cruising a J35. We're wondering about the same thing. Looking for a dual purpose boat for Maine and coastal racing. How are these boats holding up structurally? I know that its totally dependent on how the boat was treated but assuming a dry boat that's never been wet, is there any reason for concern about durability?

I have cruised mine a lot(when I am not racing). They are fast enough that I rarely us anything but the delivery main(with slugs) and a #3 jib. Storage is not real wonderful, but I am able to use one qberth for big stuff like the inflatable boat and sails. I do not have pressure or hot water, but I have never had it on any of my boats and don't miss it now. I do miss not having counter space around the stove. My dad built me a sink cover and I have seen removable "side table" installed on the bulkeads between the stove and settee berth.

Mine is a 1985 (#117) and seems to be holding up well.

This is pretty right on, as you will not have all the amenities of a true cruiser, but with some creativity you can have an enjoyable time with the boat.

Our only issue is the depth factor. Around Fla. some of the nice spots you would like to go are not accomodating for a 7' draft.

Our '84 model has had the work around the bad spots done, and is still solid.

Strip her out and she is still fast, too.

In the PNW, we have very little trouble with thin water. Only a few places around here cannot accomodate 7 ft draft.

Let's see if we can un-hijack this thread.... Want a ride? Take it to crew-anarchy! Where are all the J/35s. There are 324 of them out there.

Based on this thread so far we have

• Rocket
  • Bad Dog
  • Falcon
  • Time Machine

Let's hear from the rest of the fleet out there.

I'll start by adding a few that I know of

Hull 130 Jubilate Deo, Western Lake Erie

Hull 74 Habenero, Muskegon

Hull 135 Bule Magic, Eastern Lake Erie

+ predator, friends socal boat

How do J35's go for cruising. I know they are a racing design but with the addition of a table and a few lightweight mod cons are they a capable fast cruiser that occasionlly can still be a race winner. Are they too tender? too lightweight?

Our J/35 is used almost exclusively for cruising, '87 hull #287. It has the 'J/40 forepeak' option, hot & cold pressurized water, 2 water tanks, etc etc. so I think it was a cruiser from day one. My wife and I love it, its great for a couple for coastal cruising. Yeah, storage space is limited but my wife calls the 2 aft quarter berths his and her closets.

Mine has suffered from the usual J-Boat wet core ills, the forepeak had to be recored, there was not one bit of bedding on the vent scoop forward from when it was built apparently, and once the inner glass skin was peeled off, the mooring cleat missed the plywood backing block by a mile, great work there TPI, so water had soaked a big section of core forward.

Other than that, she seems to be holding up well, and its a great fast little pocket cruiser.

They work great as cruisers! That's why we bought ours back in '92.

Cabo San Lucas..

cabo.jpg

Fatu Hiva in the Marquesas (South Pac)..

fatuHiva.jpg

Never missed the pressure or hot water. Storage is a little tight but it can be done. The added weight of being a full time live aboard does kinda' knock the performance edge off. (When cruising) We have the standard forepeak. I never could figure out why anyone would want the J40 one.

We now use it as most would use a Catalina 36. Family RV. Sometimes beer can racer. Its great for that. It will still be sailing when everyone else has to motor. And, if it ever gets nasty out, take off the jib and just lope along. It sleeps 4 kiddies in perfect comfort. 5 if you put one on the floor.

-jim lee

So - can someone clue me in on the keel sump issue?

Didn't know there was one in 35's.

Well, I don't know that there is, really. I was reading up on the breed, however, and found at least one reference to having the keel sump "done." I'm looking for the reference now. It was news to me, hence the question.

EDIT: Found the reference. It was in Sailing World's budget PHRF racer series. J35 Article Of course the post child for J35 keel concern was a local boat that took its keel off on a ledge near here. On the other hand, she was back in action quickly and gives us fits on the race course these days.

Thr keel sump issue is a well known issue with early j boats. It is very easily taken care of. We did it during the first refit of Broken Leash. Talk to Casey about it Sideshow.

We are in the middle of our second refit to our J/35 Broken Leash. We are buffing it out for a retirement/ cruising boat. It already has been set up for short handed racing.

I'm most interested in what folks are doing for an A-sym solution...

Thanks for the suggestion to talk to Mike, Kitty. I would also be interested in what you turn up on the Asym front - particularly for a shorthanded racer. Check out the sprit on the boat earlier in the thread.

How about decks? From what I read, water in the deck core is mostly how these boat's finally die.

We were thinking (lightly), instead of chasing down core issues in No Tomorrows, take a splash mold off the deck and just infusing ourselves an entire new one.

It looks like the deck is only held on around the edge, the main bulkhead and around the cockpit floor. Cut the old deck off and glass on a new foam cored vinyl ester one. Might be a neat way to solve the problem once and for all.

I wonder what J-Boats stance would be on someone supplying new decks for old used J/35s would be?

What do you think?

-jim lee

How about decks? From what I read, water in the deck core is mostly how these boat's finally die.

We were thinking (lightly), instead of chasing down core issues in No Tomorrows, take a splash mold off the deck and just infusing ourselves an entire new one.

It looks like the deck is only held on around the edge, the main bulkhead and around the cockpit floor. Cut the old deck off and glass on a new foam cored vinyl ester one. Might be a neat way to solve the problem once and for all.

I wonder what J-Boats stance would be on someone supplying new decks for old used J/35s would be?

What do you think?

-jim lee

[/quote

re-do the cockpit if you're going to all that trouble.

I now own a top shelf moisture meter, I think its a pre-requisite for any TPI built boat. After the deck core issues were found (we lost out on a beautiful J/42 we were in the process of buying when the wet deck core was found, it killed the deal) I got one for my birthday, the same one used by the surveyor when he did my boat. So I know a whole lot of wet areas on my own boat.

The issues I have seen are all related to the lack or the limited bedding on all the fittings. Plus the deck area around the built-in stb anchor locker. This was a big issue on my boat, so I had it removed and now there's no issues other than an area around the aft vent, again, no bedding evidence at all.

I think re-decking a J/35 would be way expensive, even done yourself. I've heard of J/24's having it done, but the 35 is way more complicated.

I was poking around NEB last winter, and the J/35 hull mold is out back in the weeds. There's a bunch of J molds there, I heard that when TPI was out of the picture they ended up there. You could do a 'midnight mold' of a new deck if you could find it in the weeds.

re-do the cockpit if you're going to all that trouble.

I was thinking it'd be cool to have the late J35/J33 cockpit. I've always thought I'd want that if I went with a J35 of my own.

Cruisin' on a J/35 and very happily. Mine is 1984 hull #131. Not the most practical. Some people love driving Europe in a 911. They'd understand. You can check out our movie "Sailing Culebra 2010" on YouTube.

You're right on missing people on the rail, so first, I had a #3 (106) done. It missed power under 12kts, and 20 gals of water wouldn't do it for us, so I had potable water/ballast tanks fitted, 95gals ea. Now I have a 135%genoa and it's perfect. Deck mounted bowsprit is by Forte, and it works nice, too. All deck was inspected and repaired in 2005 and once again in 2009 (november). Rot was found especially near chainplates, under primary winches (which I relocated aft for singlehanding), and all along genoa and jib tracks. Final stage will be blister repairs, sump reinforcement, and epoxy bottom.

post-42223-1263690643_thumb.jpg

Cruisin' on a J/35 and very happily. Mine is 1984 hull #131. Not the most practical. Some people love driving Europe in a 911. They'd understand. You can check out our movie "Sailing Culebra 2010" on YouTube.

You're right on missing people on the rail, so first, I had a #3 (106) done. It missed power under 12kts, and 20 gals of water wouldn't do it for us, so I had potable water/ballast tanks fitted, 95gals ea. Now I have a 135%genoa and it's perfect. Deck mounted bowsprit is by Forte, and it works nice, too. All deck was inspected and repaired in 2005 and once again in 2009 (november). Rot was found especially near chainplates, under primary winches (which I relocated aft for singlehanding), and all along genoa and jib tracks. Final stage will be blister repairs, sump reinforcement, and epoxy bottom.

That is a really sweet vid.

That is a really sweet vid.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Good video!

So, you added the cockpit coamings?

Interesting about the waterballast. A couple of the early J35's came from the factory with waterballast and raced the Singlehanded Transat(OSTAR or whatever it is called now). I think Tony Lush sailed one and got 4th? Another was sailed by a guy in New Orleans. We emailed a few years ago and he sent pics of his waterballast arrangement. Interesting install. I used to have the pics, but I think they are long gone.

Good video!

Interesting about the waterballast. A couple of the early J35's came from the factory with waterballast and raced the Singlehanded Transat(OSTAR or whatever it is called now). I think Tony Lush sailed one and got 4th? Another was sailed by a guy in New Orleans. We emailed a few years ago and he sent pics of his waterballast arrangement. Interesting install. I used to have the pics, but I think they are long gone.

Yes, I added those. Just 1.5" tall and they keep everyone dry. A bit added back support is nice, too.

Do you remember where the ballast was placed on those boats? I decided behind settees, in fiberglass, shaped to the hull and bonded. Afterwards, cabinets were added on top. A rule bilge pump in each makes the transfer to the other tank in 3.5 mins. Pumps switches located near helm.

Good video!

Yes, I added those. Just 1.5" tall and they keep everyone dry. A bit added back support is nice, too.

Do you remember where the ballast was placed on those boats? I decided behind settees, in fiberglass, shaped to the hull and bonded. Afterwards, cabinets were added on top. A rule bilge pump in each makes the transfer to the other tank in 3.5 mins. Pumps switches located near helm.

What I remember about the waterballast tanks is that they were up high and outboard right under the deck. And it ran from in front of the icebox/galley area to aft into the quarter berth area in the widest part of the boat. I believe that he had enough volume for about 900 pounds. In solo configuration, he used the small auxiliary engine to moved water. It was a Jboat design specifically for solo racing. I will see if I can find the pictures, but I am sure that they are gone.

Another interesting thing about the J35 OSTAR configuration was that the boat had to be less than 35feet to be at the upper end of the class. So the rudder was moved 6" forward and the transom cut off. When I was communicating with the gentleman from New Orleans, he had put the boat back into one design configuration after his first OSTAR(moved the rudder aft and added a false transom) but was reconfiguring it back to race another. I don't think he made it to the start. I believe his name was Jim Bates and he was a judge in New Orleans.

What I remember about the waterballast tanks is that they were up high and outboard right under the deck. And it ran from in front of the icebox/galley area to aft into the quarter berth area in the widest part of the boat. I believe that he had enough volume for about 900 pounds. In solo configuration, he used the small auxiliary engine to moved water. It was a Jboat design specifically for solo racing. I will see if I can find the pictures, but I am sure that they are gone.

Were they tubes, like the MOB tube from the stern?

What I seem to remeber is that the tanks were box or triangular shaped with the top of the tank the deck and the outboard side the hull. They seemed to take up a lot of space, but the the location was high and outboard about where the crews weight would be if the crew was hiking out. I thought that he said that the tanks were sectioned such that you could trim fore and aft too. I cannot find the pictures at all. I think I lost the emails at work and since I retired, they are gone.

Here is an interesting article that Jim wrote about the 1984 OSTAR: http://www.petitbateau.org.uk/articles/another.asp

I would think that tanks behind the settee would be the best place for an existing boat.

Do any of you go to the J35 forum? http://www.j35.org/

occasionally

Late out..,..

Yeah let's hear it for the J35....I have seen enough of their transoms in my time.

When they were really smoking I was no where good enough to dirty their decks.....I am not worthy... I bow to those who are wiser than me...

Great boat, and see - it still looks great compared to the tubby euro-js.

Does it go higher than the 36?

Prefer frac's myself. But the 36 had build quality issues?

What I seem to remeber is that the tanks were box or triangular shaped with the top of the tank the deck and the outboard side the hull. They seemed to take up a lot of space, but the the location was high and outboard about where the crews weight would be if the crew was hiking out. I thought that he said that the tanks were sectioned such that you could trim fore and aft too. I cannot find the pictures at all. I think I lost the emails at work and since I retired, they are gone.

Here is an interesting article that Jim wrote about the 1984 OSTAR: http://www.petitbateau.org.uk/articles/another.asp

I would think that tanks behind the settee would be the best place for an existing boat.

I check it for new post periodically. Not a lot of traffic though

J/35 #208 post

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php...t&p=2687052

posted it to the wrong thread.

I always thought a taller frac carbon rig (no checks) and only running non overlapping head sails would be cool for short handing. I really love the 35's but it seems you could do some work to em to make em easier to single hand.

Is that dumb? I donno. I'd just hate to be single handing and having to do a heavy 1 to 3 peal at 230 in the morning in weather.

Late out..,..

Yeah let's hear it for the J35....I have seen enough of their transoms in my time.

When they were really smoking I was no where good enough to dirty their decks.....I am not worthy... I bow to those who are wiser than me...

Great boat, and see - it still looks great compared to the tubby euro-js.

Does it go higher than the 36?

Prefer frac's myself. But the 36 had build quality issues?

That's kinda what I was thinkin with the taller frac rig on a 35 in my post above.

J/35 #208 post

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php...t&p=2687052

posted it to the wrong thread.

I always thought a taller frac carbon rig (no checks) and only running non overlapping head sails would be cool for short handing. I really love the 35's but it seems you could do some work to em to make em easier to single hand.

Is that dumb? I donno. I'd just hate to be single handing and having to do a heavy 1 to 3 peal at 230 in the morning in weather.

Yeah, you raise a key issue for me, trying to figure out how to make it easier to solo. One recommendation is to just go with a #3 and then a code zero on a furler for point to point racing/cruising. Haven't figured out a good place to tack the zero yet.

What I have been using is about a 140% on a furler, a #1 too big in anything other than light air with no weight on the rail.

Hadn't thought about taller, J36 type rig. Will have to think that, the effect on the the sail plan, but boat seems so jib dependent to me, not sure.

Thanks -

Hey J/35 sailors,

Next weekend we have the annual meeting of the J/35 & T/35 Association (Middle Great Lakes Area). For many years now we have sailed races with the combined fleet. First boat over the line wins the flag!

There are of course some differences in the performance of the J and the T depending on the wind and sea state. However, we all have a great time and there is the feeling that it really is a 'LEVEL' competition. I have been talking with the SCHOCK 35 fleet folks with an eye towards including the S/35 in the mix. This could add quite a few boats to the events.

A question..... anybody out there have experience with racing both J/35 and S/35 in the same event. Were the boats pretty equal.... upwind... downwind.... heavy air.... light stuff....

Hey J/35 sailors,

Next weekend we have the annual meeting of the J/35 & T/35 Association (Middle Great Lakes Area). For many years now we have sailed races with the combined fleet. First boat over the line wins the flag!

There are of course some differences in the performance of the J and the T depending on the wind and sea state. However, we all have a great time and there is the feeling that it really is a 'LEVEL' competition. I have been talking with the SCHOCK 35 fleet folks with an eye towards including the S/35 in the mix. This could add quite a few boats to the events.

A question..... anybody out there have experience with racing both J/35 and S/35 in the same event. Were the boats pretty equal.... upwind... downwind.... heavy air.... light stuff....

In the PNW, for a number of years, we had a "Level 73" class that consisted of J35's, Express 37's and Schock 35"s that all rated 73 PHRF. The class was dominated by the J35's and more recently the Express 37's. The Schock 35's always seemed a little off pace. Last summer, the PHRF council changed the 73 rated boats to 72 as an administrative change to make the handicaps divisable by 3. At the same time, the Schock 35's were changed to 75.

I always felt that the Schock 35's should be able to sail with the J35's especially in light air. They are lighter and have more SA. In stronger winds, we are consitently faster upwind, but about the same down. Right now we only have three Schock 35's racing in Puget Sound and only one seems to be sailed well, so it is hard to compare. I think a large fleet of Schock 35's are still raced in Southern California and they would probably tell you that they are faster than J35's.

I raced on a friends Schock 35 a few times last Summer and was suprised to be able to able to beat a J35 and a Express 37 fairly consistantly. And yet I have little trouble beating the Schock with my J35.

Do the Schocks and J35's rate the same in your area? Do you have any race records that you could compare to check for similarities? If you have a larger group of Schock 35's, they may have worked at making their boats go faster than the few we have in our area.

Do the Schocks and J35's rate the same in your area? Do you have any race records that you could compare to check for similarities? If you have a larger group of Schock 35's, they may have worked at making their boats go faster than the few we have in our area.

I think they do rate the same on the Chesapeake. I've raced on both. in any given race one or the other will have an advantage. Over the course of a series or a season where you would have vaying conditions in terms of sea state and wind velocity I think those advantages and disadvantages would average out and the competition would be pretty close.

I think they'd be good candidates for a "level" class in a multirace regatta or series. for a single race, not so much...

your mileage may vary.

I always felt that the Schock 35's should be able to sail with the J35's especially in light air. They are lighter and have more SA. In stronger winds, we are consitently faster upwind, but about the same down.

I have only seen the J35 against a modified Schock 35 that was raced hard in our area. (retractable keel and rudder set-up, with some mods in the bow area) I cannot remember the rating, 72 vs 75 sounded about right, along with your observations WRT wind and speed.

I have a pic of our boat back in the 90's ahead of 'Morning Glory', with Rolex '08 US SotY winner Jeff Linton driving, right on our tail in a triangle race at Bradenton YC. Breeze was on and the two sailed just as you state, J faster upwind and the S35 equal to maybe a touch faster down.

That race was my first time on a J35 and funny that it was 'rocket'. We also took the win.

SV... Great input. The J and T and S all rate the same.... 72. There several 'clumps' of S/35s that sail head to head. They seem to be working their way up the speed ramp!

I think your right that it really comes down to the sailors, how they handle the boat and the choices about where to go on the course. That's what makes for One Design or Level racing!

If we can combine the J and T and S.... and get 50% turnout at the Sr. Bay Week (Put-in-Bay, Lake Erie) we could have 13 boats on the line!

I think they'd be good candidates for a "level" class in a multirace regatta or series. for a single race, not so much...

This is really the key if you are racing differant boats in a Level class.

post-4794-1265066463_thumb.jpg

Here we are leading a Schock 35 in January 2001. And we stayed this same distance ahead of them for about 15miles to the finish.

SV... Great input. The J and T and S all rate the same.... 72. There several 'clumps' of S/35s that sail head to head. They seem to be working their way up the speed ramp!

I think your right that it really comes down to the sailors, how they handle the boat and the choices about where to go on the course. That's what makes for One Design or Level racing!

If we can combine the J and T and S.... and get 50% turnout at the Sr. Bay Week (Put-in-Bay, Lake Erie) we could have 13 boats on the line!

True, there are 10 Schock 35's on Lake Erie and there are efforts in that class to hold OD racing at both Cleveland Race Week and the Bay.

I think it would be great to grow a level class, based on my experiences on both the J and S 35s I think that over the course of a series (therefore assuming some variety in conditions) the performances would even out and make for some great racing.

Hey all you long time posters..... Take note of what the newbee did..... FRONT PAGE NO LESS!

Check out the Front Page piece about CAVALLINO!

Nice Job.

post-42223-1262819506_thumb.jpgI found and purchased hull #131 (1984) at a local yard in December 2004 as "Ventajero". After an extensive retrofit, and converting it into a single-handed fast family cruiser, it went in the water in june 2006 as "Cavallino". This is my first post in any sailing forum, although SA has been my home page for some years now. Great to have a J Forum here! Happy 2010, everyone.

Hans Moll

Puerto Rico, USA

There used to be a very active level 72 on Lake Erie. J's, Schock's and Thomas 35's. It seemed each boat had a condition that slightly favored them but by years end the race results were remarkably close. Very fun, it would be great to see that come back again.

True, there are 10 Schock 35's on Lake Erie and there are efforts in that class to hold OD racing at both Cleveland Race Week and the Bay.

I think it would be great to grow a level class, based on my experiences on both the J and S 35s I think that over the course of a series (therefore assuming some variety in conditions) the performances would even out and make for some great racing.

J:

Talk about fun.... the "J/35 & T/35 Association" (mostly Lake St. Clair and Huron boats) has decided to make the I-LYA Sr. Bay Week event a counter for their Championship Series. A verbal commitment to come down to P-I-B has been made by 8 boats so far and it looks like we could get another 4 or 5. Combine those boats with 8 Schock 35s and 5 more J/35s from Lake Erie and Lake Ontario and all of sudden we have a 20+ boat fleet racing LEVEL-72. First boat across the line gets the beer!

As you say.... Very fun and great to see it come back again!

In 2011 the J/35 North American Championships will be held at North Cape Yacht Club. The Bay Week event will be 2 weeks before the big event.... a perfect way to get the boats and crews really dialed in.

There used to be a very active level 72 on Lake Erie. J's, Schock's and Thomas 35's. It seemed each boat had a condition that slightly favored them but by years end the race results were remarkably close. Very fun, it would be great to see that come back again.

Hey all you long time posters..... Take note of what the newbee did..... FRONT PAGE NO LESS!

Check out the Front Page piece about CAVALLINO!

Nice Job.

post-42223-1262819506_thumb.jpgI found and purchased hull #131 (1984) at a local yard in December 2004 as "Ventajero". After an extensive retrofit, and converting it into a single-handed fast family cruiser, it went in the water in june 2006 as "Cavallino". This is my first post in any sailing forum, although SA has been my home page for some years now. Great to have a J Forum here! Happy 2010, everyone.

Hans Moll

Puerto Rico, USA

That was sweet, as is the boat and the mods made to fit their needs.

Looks funny without the bow pulpit though..............................

Hey J/35 sailors,

Talk to Bill Newman, owner of "Aftershock" in Muskegon MI he has raced both very competitively. Guess which one he owned first? :D

Nothing more satisfying than clawing your way over the top of a competitor. Nice pic and congrats on B-o-Y!

Hope to see MAGIC, WHITEHAWK, POISON IVY and BLUE MOON at the Bay in August!

post-29194-1266427011_thumb.jpg

US 73120 "Magic" ex "Taz"

Erie, PA out of the Erie Yacht Club

2009 Boat of the Year

Nothing more satisfying than clawing your way over the top of a competitor. Nice pic and congrats on B-o-Y!

Hope to see MAGIC, WHITEHAWK, POISON IVY and BLUE MOON at the Bay in August!

post-29194-1266427011_thumb.jpg

US 73120 "Magic" ex "Taz"

Erie, PA out of the Erie Yacht Club

2009 Boat of the Year

Magic has plans for Bay and LYRA as well as returning as BOY

while it's still early enough for planning purposes... There will be a lot of one design racing for J35's on the Chesapeake coming up late this summer and well into the fall.. Starting Labor Day Weekend, CBYRA Annapolis Race Week, Sat, Sun, Mon.. the following Fri, Sat, Sun is the J35 North American's at Gibson Island Yacht Club. The first weekend in October is the AYC FAll Series Long distance Race. two weeks later is the 2day Big Boat Weekend and Finale to the AYC Fall Series.. Halloween weekend brings the IRC East Coasts if you have an IRC Cert and just want to keep on racing.... The weekend of Nov 5,6,7th is the J35 Mid-Atlantic Championships at West River Sailing Club a few miles south of Annapolis. The local fleet will be happy to provide assistance in finding lowcost storage for any boats wishing to stay on after the NA's. I can accommodate a couple boats at the dock at my house and there is plenty of dry storage in Annapolis and West River.

The official NORs for these events should be up on the CBYRA website in a couple weeks or so.

Anyone know what became of the J35 Hot Entrée that I sailed on out of Ida Lewis is Neport, RI? Won the NA's in 86 but I lost touch with Paul a few years after. I can't remember her hull#.

Wow,, no one knows? Big frigin suprise.

Current J owers bought POS cookie cutter labels like I-Zod colthes in the 80's. How do you like your Whale Wall Corduroys?

Ask anybody who was involved with the 50's or maxis what became of them, and there's an instant reply.

You d-bags don't even know your roots. Just signing a check for a "label" to be cool at the YC. Looks cool on your fleece vest BTW.

PJ has always been a great guy & SJ a douche. AJ & JJ are simply useless tag-alongs. LOADS of respect & thanks to Rod, but your buyers have NO sence of history, and where all this good stuff started.

What a shame for the name.

Wow,, no one knows? Big frigin suprise.

Current J owers bought POS cookie cutter labels like I-Zod colthes in the 80's. How do you like your Whale Wall Corduroys?

Ask anybody who was involved with the 50's or maxis what became of them, and there's an instant reply.

You d-bags don't even know your roots. Just signing a check for a "label" to be cool at the YC. Looks cool on your fleece vest BTW.

PJ has always been a great guy & SJ a douche. AJ & JJ are simply useless tag-alongs. LOADS of respect & thanks to Rod, but your buyers have NO sence of history, and where all this good stuff started.

What a shame for the name.

so if yer such hot shit, why the fuck dont know what happened to a boat that YOU sailed on?

hot shit? I'm a has been, washed out hired gun. My brain is toast, and I can hardly keep track of what boats I raced on. This was like a gazillion years ago.

Aren't you anficionado on this stuff?

• Like 1

hot shit? I'm a has been, washed out hired gun. My brain is toast, and I can hardly keep track of what boats I raced on. This was like a gazillion years ago.

Aren't you anficionado on this stuff?

the only thing I'm an officianado of are Pitmans cigars. he does get some goodies.. I just happened to find a boat that I liked. I know very little about the history of them.

J:

Talk about fun.... the "J/35 & T/35 Association" (mostly Lake St. Clair and Huron boats) has decided to make the I-LYA Sr. Bay Week event a counter for their Championship Series. A verbal commitment to come down to P-I-B has been made by 8 boats so far and it looks like we could get another 4 or 5. Combine those boats with 8 Schock 35s and 5 more J/35s from Lake Erie and Lake Ontario and all of sudden we have a 20+ boat fleet racing LEVEL-72. First boat across the line gets the beer!

As you say.... Very fun and great to see it come back again!

In 2011 the J/35 North American Championships will be held at North Cape Yacht Club. The Bay Week event will be 2 weeks before the big event.... a perfect way to get the boats and crews really dialed in.

TRUE - There are now 10 S35's in the water in Lake Erie - 2 in Sandusky, 1 in Huron, 2 in Cleveland, 3 in Fairport, and 2 in Erie, PA.

I have talked with most of them and would be surprised if we could not have 8 or 9 boats at both Cleveland Race Week and Bay Week.

Will be fun to see the J's at the bay - you should consider coming down to Cleveland for race week too.

TRUE - There are now 10 S35's in the water in Lake Erie - 2 in Sandusky, 1 in Huron, 2 in Cleveland, 3 in Fairport, and 2 in Erie, PA.

I have talked with most of them and would be surprised if we could not have 8 or 9 boats at both Cleveland Race Week and Bay Week.

Will be fun to see the J's at the bay - you should consider coming down to Cleveland for race week too.

there is only one 35 in the water in Erie, there is one on the dry which has not been in the water in at least two years...

I was referring to Raven and Shock Top.

I know they both raced last year, right?

Oh yeah, both the schocks in Erie raced last season... I am assuming both will be doing Bay this year. Don't know much about CRW, I'm bringing my juniors over and also may be on a 22 there, tough to get a good crew together for so much traveling (me not having a real job when I am home for the summer makes it easy to drive anywhere during the weekends)

Who just sold their J35 from Detroit to LIS? JPD in SA is looking for ground transport. . .

Jaeger

This is done deal.

The previous owner took fantastic care of this boat and I consider myself lucky to have found her...now all I have to do is learn how to sail it....

Jaeger

This is done deal.

The previous owner took fantastic care of this boat and I consider myself lucky to have found her...now all I have to do is learn how to sail it....

Cool boat--I remember that it was never raced that hard. Did you buy it from the original owners?

Good luck with the learning curve: more touches=better performance.

Jaeger

This is done deal.

Cool boat--I remember that it was never raced that hard. Did you buy it from the original owners?

Good luck with the learning curve: more touches=better performance.

Thanks...I believe this is the second owner who has not raced in years either.

Haven't raced on a J/35 in quite a while, but here's a leeward mark rounding at the 1995 Youngstown Levels Regatta.

41322 is Whitehawk, which races out of Grand River, OH.

Not sure of the other 2.

post-112-1263230489_thumb.jpg

One of the ones going upwind looks like 41744, the Usual Suspects out of Toronto. No longer sailing.

As was stated earlier, they have gone to the dark side and now have a J-105 of the same name.

Haven't raced on a J/35 in quite a while, but here's a leeward mark rounding at the 1995 Youngstown Levels Regatta.

Not sure of the other 2.

One of the ones going upwind looks like 41744, the Usual Suspects out of Toronto. No longer sailing.

As was stated earlier, they have gone to the dark side and now have a J-105 of the same name.

Wow, that old kevlar is really gold.

so this is a real longshot but does anyone have the picture from sailing world maybe ten years back with the 35 Taz on the cover?

Not sure of the other 2.

Our J35 back in the early 90's had a main that was laminated with a 'gold' foil, to try and protect the kevlar from UV degradation.

From reports, you could not put on enough sunscreen to keep from getting cooked. Also that it delaminated pretty fast.

I remember watching it come-up the coast off of Clearwater one year during the Kahlua Cup, the sun shimmering off the sail in the light air beat to the finish.

Anybody else ever see one of these 'coated' sails?

Hey J/35 sailors,

Talk to Bill Newman, owner of "Aftershock" in Muskegon MI he has raced both very competitively. Guess which one he owned first? biggrin.gif

Good luck getting Newman on here - he has just gotten comfortable with e-mail in the last couple years! I grew up sailing with Bill, first on the Schock 35, then the J35. We were indeed very competitive on both boats. With the Schock, we were competing weekly on Muskegon Lake against the likes of Heartbreaker, Top Gun and Fox Fire. We also sailed against the T35's and Tripp 36's in the Level 35 class at the Chicago Noods and Verve Cup in the early '90s, and won that division at least once. The Schock is a superior boat upwind in light air, although the hulls have a tendency to sag over time, and can benefit from stiffening with a bit of structural aluminum to tie everything back together. I recall that we stood better than even chances against the better J35's as soon as we started pulling bodies off the rail. As has been mentioned already, if the J35, T35, and S35 are raced in a level class over the course of several days or longer, the relative strengths and weaknesses will balance out and a great series can be had.

The only significant issue I can recall regarding sailing level within this group was brought forth by an owner from Chicago, who shall remain nameless (although he is the namesake of one of these boat designs). He took great exception to anyone using check stays, as his particular design had none. He claimed that they were not structural in any of the boats, and as a sail trim control, they presented an unfair advantage to everyone else. It the end the RC allowed them, and I believe it was suggested that it was an oversight on his designer's part, considering the need of the boat to be powered up in light chop.

Anyway, we always enjoyed sailing in the Level 35 class, we had lots of closely contested regattas, and everyone stepped up their game because of it. So, call 'em level, because they are.

Oh, and if anyone has any issue with my newbie status, screw you!

Not sure of the other 2.

Our J35 back in the early 90's had a main that was laminated with a 'gold' foil, to try and protect the kevlar from UV degradation.

From reports, you could not put on enough sunscreen to keep from getting cooked. Also that it delaminated pretty fast.

I remember watching it come-up the coast off of Clearwater one year during the Kahlua Cup, the sun shimmering off the sail in the light air beat to the finish.

Anybody else ever see one of these 'coated' sails?

I recall something similar on the Henderson 30's in the mid ninety's definately on Purple Haze and New Wave

post-24684-127077793195_thumb.jpg I have hull number 260 "Surprise" in Penobscot Maine, with a new awlgrip and bottom job. The perfect phrf racer and weekend cruiser. They just don't make a sweeter boat than the J/35.

post-24684-127077793195_thumb.jpg I have hull number 260 "Surprise" in Penobscot Maine, with a new awlgrip and bottom job. The perfect phrf racer and weekend cruiser. They just don't make a sweeter boat than the J/35.

wow great work! she looks good as new

Hello, I mentioned some interest in a J/35C on another thread that I started but didn't get much of a responsesad.gif I was also thinking about a J/34C. Whatever, it has to be shoal draft , raceable, and make my wife happy! (comforts)

Jerry

Wow.

That is a nice 'Surprise'......................................

SWEET! If it looks great in the shed.... it looks SO MUCH better out on the water!

Good luck getting Newman on here - he has just gotten comfortable with e-mail in the last couple years! I grew up sailing with Bill, first on the Schock 35, then the J35. We were indeed very competitive on both boats. With the Schock, we were competing weekly on Muskegon Lake against the likes of Heartbreaker, Top Gun and Fox Fire. We also sailed against the T35's and Tripp 36's in the Level 35 class at the Chicago Noods and Verve Cup in the early '90s, and won that division at least once. The Schock is a superior boat upwind in light air, although the hulls have a tendency to sag over time, and can benefit from stiffening with a bit of structural aluminum to tie everything back together. I recall that we stood better than even chances against the better J35's as soon as we started pulling bodies off the rail. As has been mentioned already, if the J35, T35, and S35 are raced in a level class over the course of several days or longer, the relative strengths and weaknesses will balance out and a great series can be had.

The only significant issue I can recall regarding sailing level within this group was brought forth by an owner from Chicago, who shall remain nameless (although he is the namesake of one of these boat designs). He took great exception to anyone using check stays, as his particular design had none. He claimed that they were not structural in any of the boats, and as a sail trim control, they presented an unfair advantage to everyone else. It the end the RC allowed them, and I believe it was suggested that it was an oversight on his designer's part, considering the need of the boat to be powered up in light chop.

Anyway, we always enjoyed sailing in the Level 35 class, we had lots of closely contested regattas, and everyone stepped up their game because of it. So, call 'em level, because they are.

Oh, and if anyone has any issue with my newbie status, screw you!

Good point, Bill spent all winter skiing but I he does read his email periodically! He would be fine on the board as long as Blaine set's it up for him :)

The plan is to hold the J/35 Great Lakes Championship Regatta (otherwise known as the Top of the Lake Regatta) in Cheboygan MI the weekend after the Mac races. This is a jointly run event by the Lake MI and Lake Huron/ St. Clair fleets. We have had as many as 19 boats on the line in past years and the conditions have always been amazing, with intense racing, steady winds, and no interference or delays. Just bang bang racing all weekend, with great food and parties on shore. Unfortunately the regatta has suffered because their is no home yacht club or owner in Cheboygan to handle the organizational basics.

To date no one has stepped up to take charge this year. Anyone Game? Not too much involved and this is an economy event in a place eager for our business so all it should take is a few hours and few phone calls to organize, do an entry mailing, arrange food, tent, and marina. We have most of the answers including RC just need someone who can pull it all together.

Any volunteers PM me! I am working on the Lake MI Fleet but need an East side volunteer!

Larry, the East side J35's are going to Bay Week Aug 6th=8th Cheboygan died from lack of participents

That would be the week after the Cheboygan regatta but if that is the case wish someone would have told the West side :(

Hi Larry--we only had six on the line in 2008 (Touch of Grey was there, but had no crew and cruised out on friday). Add in the cost of the whitefish dinner and a couple hundred bucks for hookers at the Gold Front, it just got too expensive with minimal class participation. If we could have added Bozo, Hokua or you guys to the mix (as well as all of the other eastside 35's--Griffin, Gold, Snipe, Rowdy, Ragtime), it would have at least lowered the price for hookers. . . Besides, I got tired of Wild Bill or those More Cowbell guys controlling that damn blender.

I'd be happy to help resurrect it, but it seems that there is substantial interest in going to Erie this year. Maybe 2011?

Hi Larry--we only had six on the line in 2008 (Touch of Grey was there, but had no crew and cruised out on friday). Add in the cost of the whitefish dinner and a couple hundred bucks for hookers at the Gold Front, it just got too expensive with minimal class participation. If we could have added Bozo, Hokua or you guys to the mix (as well as all of the other eastside 35's--Griffin, Gold, Snipe, Rowdy, Ragtime), it would have at least lowered the price for hookers. . . Besides, I got tired of Wild Bill or those More Cowbell guys controlling that damn blender.

I'd be happy to help resurrect it, but it seems that there is substantial interest in going to Erie this year. Maybe 2011?

No problem with the decision and reasoning. I proposed dropping the regatta last summer at the NA's or moving it to Harbor Springs (My personal preference)but I thought the consensus was that we try to recommitt to it this year. Appears we got our wires crossed. No Worries, we will go to Harbor Springs. It is early enough to adjust. Thanks!

Let's talk about 2011 in the fall

The hookers give group rate discounts?blink.gif Is there a rewards card for that? Or do they just give mileage?

Missed the blender party last year when they cancelled the race due to too much wind. Hummers, mmmmmmmmmmmm!

The hookers give group rate discounts?blink.gif

That would be the "crew discount."

The hookers give group rate discounts?blink.gif

That would be the "crew discount."

Since this thread's discussion of GL sailing has become so um, 'interesting', keep the rest of us updated in case anyone can make plans to be at your events, whether with their boat or to maybe come along as crew for those that may want to go there and to help those that may need crew.

Also all the info on the GL thing with the various 35' boats, which sounds overall as a good thing, no matter the brand. I have enjoyed reading how you guys have worked together.

Keep it 'up', so to speak..............................................

At this point the Lake Michigan/Lake Superior fleet has the following schedule set for 2010:

Chicago NOOD Regatta June 11-13

South Shore YC Queens Cup June 25

Chicago YC Race to Mackinaw July 24

Little Traverse YC Little Traverse Cup July 30 - Aug 1

Chicago YC Verve Cup August 20-22

Muskegon YC Lake Michigan Championship/Governors Cup Sept. 4-5

Please come join us!

Eastern Great Lakes events schedule:

• Detroit NOODS (June 4-6)
  • Port Huron to Mac Race (July 17-20)
  • I-LYA Sr. Bay Weekend (August 6-8)

Other events that need our support are on the DRYA schedule, the North Cape schedule and other sites.

Let's not forget the 150 year celebration at the Buffalo Yacht Club.

Also the folks at Edgewater Yacht Club and the Cleveland area put on a full seasons of events.

And once you get done up on the Lakes, head on down to the Chesapeake Bay..

Saturday, September 04, 2010 CBYRA Annapolis Race Week J35 1D Start

Sunday, September 05, 2010 CBYRA Annapolis Race Week J35 1D Start

Monday, September 06, 2010 CBYRA Annapolis Race Week J35 1D Start

Friday, September 10, 2010 J35 NA's Gibson Island

Saturday, September 11, 2010 J35 NA's Gibson Island

Sunday, September 12, 2010 J35 NA's Gibson Island

Saturday, October 02, 2010 AYC Fall Series DISTANCE RACE!!! J35 1D Start

Stick around Columbus Day Weekend for the Annapolis Boat Show

Saturday, October 16, 2010 AYC Fall Series Big Boat 2 day J35 1D Start

Sunday, October 17, 2010 AYC Fall Series Big Boat 2 day J35 1D Start

Friday, November 05, 2010 WRSC J35 Mid Atlantic Championships

Saturday, November 06, 2010 WRSC J35 Mid Atlantic Championships

Sunday, November 07, 2010 WRSC J35 Mid Atlantic Championships

at this point I'm not sure about the availability of hookers in the Annapolis area, but i'll assign some dedicated crew to research this issue.

Annapolis Race Week is notorious for missing one key ingredient............wind.

We were there in 2006 as our prep for the NA's, and the locals were the one's that said that to us, as several races were cancelled.

Annapolis Race Week is notorious for missing one key ingredient............wind.

We were there in 2006 as our prep for the NA's, and the locals were the one's that said that to us, as several races were cancelled.

picky picky picky

at this point I'm not sure about the availability of hookers in the Annapolis area, but i'll assign some dedicated crew to research this issue.

May have to talk the partners into shipping the boat north after summer. (Need a couple of good Lotto numbers too)

Anybody gotta spare empty trailer sitting around?

How many are you expecting for the NA's and how many regularly race your series?

May have to talk the partners into shipping the boat north after summer. (Need a couple of good Lotto numbers too)

Anybody gotta spare empty trailer sitting around?

How many are you expecting for the NA's and how many regularly race your series?

Don't know what the expectations are for the NA.. NOODS, Race Week and Fall series typicaly draw 10-12ish.. we had 8 for the MA's last year with very little promotion.

The old J35 "Obsession" has been totally re-fit at Mullers in Annapolis, Over 600 hours of my own labor, plus some of Muller's crack fiberglass team and she's ready to rock again....the crew needs to get the boat handling down but she definitely has the speed and we are on our way. Here is a video of the transformation. Check it out at http://picasaweb.google.com/TeamBzing/Movies#5470536613539176002

Obsession was one of the old boats. Around 83 or 84. I sailed for the original owner that had it till last year, when it was sold to the Ches Bay. A friend of mine sent me a pic of it sitting at Mullers in Nappy a few weeks ago. Any of you Ches Bay guys know what's going on with it? She was a ridden hard old girl for sure. I'd think she'd need a ton of work to get her a fighting chance in OD stuff.

The guy that owned the C&C99 Bzing bought her and is doing a pretty major refit.. or so I've been told..

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any 35's that weren't rode hard for a few years. They all show battle scars by now..

Hey Bump....

Those battle scars will buff out in most cases. If there is major structural damage, even that is usually repairable. When I look at the cost of a used J/35 and double it to take into account the re-fit, it's still a whole lot of boat for the dollars spent.

Another thought.... are there J/35s out there in the Del/Mar/Va area that are not taking part in the racing scene or the One Design scene. There are at least 3 here on the Great Lakes that are fast Cruisers or who just race double-handed and some PHRF. As a One Deisgn racer and supporter of that part of the class, I need to remind myself that there is still room for lots of fun and enjoyment of the J35 for the occasional racer or the cruiser. If there are.... how are they participating in the sport of sailing?

I have done some shorthanded sailing in TIME MACHINE and it's always a hoot. One night we got the boat balanced out and lashed the tiller. She stayed within 2 degrees of TWA for 6 hours! It was magical!

The old J35 "Obsession" has been totally re-fit at Mullers in Annapolis, Over 600 hours of my own labor, plus some of Muller's crack fiberglass team and she's ready to rock again....the crew needs to get the boat handling down but she definitely has the speed and we are on our way. Here is a video of the transformation. Check it out at http://picasaweb.goo...536613539176002

Wow! What a project and what a result. Looks Great Bzing. cool.gif