hhn92

J35 Anarchist

J35 and Slacker,

Thank you very much. That is the most useful, specific and succinct feedback I've received in about a year of asking questions. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Woofa,

You might check with "svgreatwhite" on this. He has singlehanded his J-35 for many years in the Puget Sound area, & done very well.

I have just bought a J-35 for the main purpose of doing doublehanded races. Past boats are; J-92, J-37, J-33,

Hobie 33, J-35, O-30, and others.

The J-35 has decent accomodations, can be cruised by a couple, is very workable doublehanded, and is relatively inexpensive. Also, still comopetitive in full crew races. My current choice.

Loc

The trick for any boat that will be sailed short-handed is the ability to balance out the sailplan and forces. All boats become a handful if you don't adjust the sailplan and trim as conditions change. The J/35 offers a very powerful, relatively high-load setup which I can balance out in almost any reasonable conditions. Sure, when I get lazy any don't reef early enough, or change down from the #1 to the #3 as the breeze builds, it's a bitch.... but I think that's the case on any boat.

The comments about needing the crew weight on the rail.... if you are sailing boat for boat, single handed vs fully crewed....DUH... the fully crewed gets around the course faster. But that's not the point! All it does is lower the true wind speeds where you shift gears.

The J/35 offers you a responsive, strong, sea-kindly and quick for her age design that will keep you coming out on the lake for the shear joy of it all.

OH... and we sail PHRF on lots of nights with 4-5 and have a blast, even when it's blowing 20-25!

Go for it!

J35M8

Question for J35 owners...

I'm looking at a J35 and am getting contradicting feedback, re: the suitability of the boat for what I'm looking at doing with it. Thought that perhaps the buck might stop here, in this forum...

My intentions are to use the the boat primarily for Great Lakes long distance singlehanded racing - 100 to 300 miles in the Lake Ontario Short-handed Racing Series we have up here. Secondary use would be around the cans with a small crew for weeknight beer can racing and weekend regattas, just for practice, shits and giggles. For those events, likely a small crew = 4 or less.

So, my questions is this...

I have done my forum research and have talked to various previous and present owners of J35's. Some laugh out loud at the idea of single/short handing a J35, citing the boat as wild, needing crew weight, squirrely in high winds, etc., etc. Others say that the boat is no problem to single/short hand and have the race results to prove it.

So, my question to this forum is, which is it? Really?

Please note up front:

- around-the-cans racing is **not** a high priority, it's an added bonus,

- crew has already been taken into consideration and arranged for around-the-can racing,

- yes, I do know how few creature comforts there are down below and I don't care.

Opinions welcome...

Ditto, it is about set up. Have seen them very succesfully raced short handed

Thanks for a great time at the Mid Atlantics! Seriously cool regatta and party. Thanks to Bump for organizing a fantastic event!

glad you guys finally came out and mixed it up with the fleet

I hope you'll see more of us next year,. though not tons. You guys sailed very well. We felt like we were finally getting the hang of it by the end!

glad you guys finally came out and mixed it up with the fleet

The trick for any boat that will be sailed short-handed is the ability to balance out the sailplan and forces. All boats become a handful if you don't adjust the sailplan and trim as conditions change. The J/35 offers a very powerful, relatively high-load setup which I can balance out in almost any reasonable conditions. Sure, when I get lazy any don't reef early enough, or change down from the #1 to the #3 as the breeze builds, it's a bitch.... but I think that's the case on any boat.

The comments about needing the crew weight on the rail.... if you are sailing boat for boat, single handed vs fully crewed....DUH... the fully crewed gets around the course faster. But that's not the point! All it does is lower the true wind speeds where you shift gears.

The J/35 offers you a responsive, strong, sea-kindly and quick for her age design that will keep you coming out on the lake for the shear joy of it all.

OH... and we sail PHRF on lots of nights with 4-5 and have a blast, even when it's blowing 20-25!

Go for it!

J35M8

I'm looking at a J35 and am getting contradicting feedback, re: the suitability of the boat for what I'm looking at doing with it. Thought that perhaps the buck might stop here, in this forum...

My intentions are to use the the boat primarily for Great Lakes long distance singlehanded racing - 100 to 300 miles in the Lake Ontario Short-handed Racing Series we have up here. Secondary use would be around the cans with a small crew for weeknight beer can racing and weekend regattas, just for practice, shits and giggles. For those events, likely a small crew = 4 or less.

I have done my forum research and have talked to various previous and present owners of J35's. Some laugh out loud at the idea of single/short handing a J35, citing the boat as wild, needing crew weight, squirrely in high winds, etc., etc. Others say that the boat is no problem to single/short hand and have the race results to prove it.

Please note up front:

- crew has already been taken into consideration and arranged for around-the-can racing,

- yes, I do know how few creature comforts there are down below and I don't care.

Opinions welcome...

Yeah, what they said.

And another ditto of thanks for all the comments and weigh-in's. The info has been useful. In the best of all possible ways.

Guess I know what boat I'm on next summer... ;)

When I was looking to move up (in length) from my former 26 footer, I looked at a number of mid-30 footers. My requirements were for a quick boat for Wednesday nights and the occasional weekend, and easy for my wife and I to double-hand for weekends. A broker-friend steered me away from the J35 because, as he put it, that's too powerful a boat. Well, long story short, we ended up getting a J35 and are very happy. To me at least, it seems like an ideal boat - easily driven even with shortened sail (which makes it easy for my wife and me to sail without a crew), but also very responsive to a good crew and full press of cloth. As has been said earlier, it's mostly about making sure to have the right sail plan up before the shit hits!

When I was looking to move up (in length) from my former 26 footer, I looked at a number of mid-30 footers. My requirements were for a quick boat for Wednesday nights and the occasional weekend, and easy for my wife and I to double-hand for weekends. A broker-friend steered me away from the J35 because, as he put it, that's too powerful a boat. Well, long story short, we ended up getting a J35 and are very happy. To me at least, it seems like an ideal boat - easily driven even with shortened sail (which makes it easy for my wife and me to sail without a crew), but also very responsive to a good crew and full press of cloth. As has been said earlier, it's mostly about making sure to have the right sail plan up before the shit hits!

Yeah, I'm hearing that pretty load and clear (re: managing sail area). And all of the respective comments in that regard have been a big factor in my decision. The skipper I currently distance race with is a fanatic about sail changes and I do bow, so I don't have an issue with switching things up as needed. Also, I have no ego-related qualms about shortening sail before things go sideways. So I think that this just might work out...

The thing that has hit me most about the J35 so far (and I've only had her a year) is that in many light-air conditions and even using only a #3 (with my 4-year-old grandson aboard), we were still moving as fast or faster than the wind and in total control!

2011 Sailing Schedule ..... Time to start planning!

Just got the eMail from the NOODS folks and it made me start assembling the schedule for next year. Let's hear it from the other Great Lakes boats about events that you know about.

June 3-5: Detroit NOODS, Bayview Yacht Club, Lake St Clair [J35 & T35]

June 10-12: Mills Trophy Race, Lake Erie (Toledo to Put-in-Bay) [J35 & T35]

June 10-12: Chicago NOODS, Chicago Yact Club, Lake Michigan

June 24-26: Cleveland Race Week, Lake Erie (dates not certain)

July 16-18: Chicago Mac Race, Lake Michigan

July 23-25: Port Huron to Mac Race, Lake Huron [J35 & T35]

July 30-31: J-Fest (Great Lakes Championship), Harbor Springs, Lake Michigan [J35 & T35]

August 5-6: Sr. Bay Weekend, Lake Erie (Put-in-Bay) [J5 & T35 & S35]

August 26-28: 2011 North American Championships, North Cape Yacht Club, Lake Erie [Don't miss this one!]

Start thinking about forming a flotilla of boats that sail in the Harbor Springs event and then transport around the mitt down to Put-in-Bay (leave Sunday evening and arrive by Thursday afternoon). Use the Sr. Bay Weekend as a final tuneup for the main event! Arrangements are being made for no-cost/supercheap dockage at North Cape between the Put-in-Bay event and the NAC. Especially for the Lake Michigan fleet..... you have got to make the trip!

I will start things off. TIME MACHINE is planning on Detroit NOODS, Mills Race, PH Mac, Harbor Springs, Sr. Bay Weekend, NAC! It's going to be a blast!!!

J35M8

And another ditto of thanks for all the comments and weigh-in's. The info has been useful. In the best of all possible ways.

Guess I know what boat I'm on next summer... ;)

WW...

Hull #130 (Located at North Cape Yacht Club, Lake Erie) and Hull #121 (Located Lake St. Clair) both on the market now. 121 has taken out an advert in SA. PM me for contact information for #130.

Just got the eMail from the NOODS folks and it made me start assembling the schedule for next year. Let's hear it from the other Great Lakes boats about events that you know about.

July 30-31: J-Fest (Great Lakes Championship), Harbor Springs, Lake Michigan [J35 & T35]

August 26-28: 2011 North American Championships, North Cape Yacht Club, Lake Erie [Don't miss this one!]

Start thinking about forming a flotilla of boats that sail in the Harbor Springs event and then transport around the mitt down to Put-in-Bay (leave Sunday evening and arrive by Thursday afternoon). Use the Sr. Bay Weekend as a final tuneup for the main event! Arrangements are being made for no-cost/supercheap dockage at North Cape between the Put-in-Bay event and the NAC. Especially for the Lake Michigan fleet..... you have got to make the trip!

I will start things off. TIME MACHINE is planning on Detroit NOODS, Mills Race, PH Mac, Harbor Springs, Sr. Bay Weekend, NAC! It's going to be a blast!!!

J35M8

If a fella was to say, get a chance to get to be in the area during one of these regatta's, what would be the chance to sail some 35 one design races?

J35M8

If a fella was to say, get a chance to get to be in the area during one of these regatta's, what would be the chance to sail some 35 one design races?

~HNN, Speaking for my boat's program, the NOODS, MAC, Sr. Bayweek and NAC are already FULL BOAT. We will probably be looking for great crew to fill some spots for the Mills and J-Fest, but won't know until we get closer to the date. Lot's of folks who race in these parts read this thread and if their skippers don't, there is usually someone on the crew who does..... or PM me. J35M8

J35M8

I would say that other then the MAC races you would have a good shot at getting a ride on any number of the Lake Michigan boats. PM me with your infor and I will pass on to the J/35 Lake Mi fleet owners

August 5-6: Sr. Bay Weekend, Lake Erie (Put-in-Bay) [J35 & T35 & S35]

J35M8

I would say that other then the MAC races you would have a good shot at getting a ride on any number of the Lake Michigan boats. PM me with your infor and I will pass on to the J/35 Lake Mi fleet owners

LT.... trolling for crew, but you did not say which events on the schedule you are doing! Is the Lake Michigan fleet going to hang out after the Chi-Mac for the Harbor Springs event? How many of you will be coming around the mitt to visit and race with us at Put-in-Bay and the North Americans?

J

Go for it!

J35M8

Please note up front:

Opinions welcome...

I'll help you bring her out East for the next Newport to Bermuda :) :)

August 5-6: Sr. Bay Weekend, Lake Erie (Put-in-Bay) [J35 & T35 & S35]

J35M8

LT.... trolling for crew, but you did not say which events on the schedule you are doing! Is the Lake Michigan fleet going to hang out after the Chi-Mac for the Harbor Springs event? How many of you will be coming around the mitt to visit and race with us at Put-in-Bay and the North Americans?

J

I am really pushing the LM boats to do Harbor Springs this year. I hope to have at least half a dozen boats up there from LM and maybe more. No idea yet on teh NA's Probably won't know until the owners meeting at SS in Chicago in Feb

Go for it!

J35M8

Please note up front:

Opinions welcome...

I'll help you bring her out East for the next Newport to Bermuda :) :)

would love to but not this year. Would rather to it on a J44 anyway. Bit of a haul for the 35 though I know a few do it every year

recent murmerings indicate the likelyhood of a J35 start for both the Down The Bay race from Annapolis to Hampton and Southern Bay Race Week

Must be all the white fluffy stuff again.

ayup

recent murmerings indicate the likelyhood of a J35 start for both the Down The Bay race from Annapolis to Hampton and Southern Bay Race Week

four boats in for each so far... one more for 1D start!!!!

Chicago Mac Race needs one more J/35 entry to get our own section. If Chicago Mac is on your bucket list this would be a great year to do it. Potential Charters available. PM me if you are interested.

Anyone know why CYC won't let us do a level 35 class with the Thomas and Shock 35's Only 1 thomas and 2 shocks entered and it would make the race a lot more fun for all but CYC won't have it.

do the other boats want in? or is it just a J35 idea?

do the other boats want in? or is it just a J35 idea?

The Thomas is for sure up for it. Looks like we have some hoops to jump through but CYC is cooperating and we may get this done.

If any of the East side MI boats are interested, I have the offer of use of a J/35 trailer to get you to the other side of the Pennisula. Could pop you out and into St Joe in a few hours and a short motor to Chicago and no interstate permits needed. PM me if your intersted but don't hesitate as there are only a dozen or so spts left in the race.

Inaugural Coast Guard Foundation Overnight Race...

Oline entry here

Overnight long distance race to nowhere in particular.. start and finish in Annapolis

good shakedown race for upcoming offshore events without the hassle of delivery back from Hampton LOL

One design start offered for J35s

so we've got our 1D start for both Down the Bay and Southern Bay Race Week

and another fun race it was :) J35's took 4&5 overall behind a 120, Farr 36, and a SC72... not bad for a 30 yr old design.. beat one of the 120's and the J111 too.

While you guys kick ass at your local club, thought I'd share a photo of the well deserved afterlife of my J35. Just chillin' in the Spanish Virgins.

post-42223-043354200 1311037962_thumb.jpg

<br />Who's in for the N/A's at NCYC Aug. 25-28?<br />

From the J35.org linky

Who is coming?

•MAN-o-WAR Fleet:2 (MS)

•WHIPLASH Fleet:11 (MI)

•FALCON Fleet:11 (MI)

•Mr. BILL's WILD RIDE Fleet:11 (MI)

•SCREAM Fleet:11 (MI)

•TIME MACHINE Fleet:11 (MI)

•DOUBLESHOT Fleet:11 (MI)

•MAJOR DETAIL Fleet:11 (MI)

•MAGIC Fleet:8 (PA)

Who might be coming?

•SISTER Fleet:8 (NY)

•POISON IVY Fleet:8 (OH)

•WHITEHAWK Fleet:11 (OH)

•BOZO'S CIRCUS Fleet:3 (IL)

•AFTERSHOCK Fleet:3 (MI)

•JUBILATE DEO Fleet:11 (MI)

Only 9 confirmed, though I heard there was a 10th. Dont know who.

Only 8 signed up for the J35 NA's at NCYC. Double Shot dropped out.

How come when the NA's are in Chicago, Muskegon, Toronto, or Annapolis boats from Fleet 11 show up, but when its in Fleet 11's back yard no one from Chicago, Toronto, Muskegon, or Annapolis wants to come up and play? Maybe we should change this to the Lake Erie J35 Championships.

Please discuss amongst yourselves.

Speaking only as a shoe-string operation from Naptown. Event is too close to CBYRA race week for me to be able to get crew to do both. And as the shoe-string implies, transportation/logistics expenses are way beyond my annual budget. Very few if any of the Naptown boats have their own trailer. Annapolis Race week is the beginning of the real meat of our season down here. We've got 8 boats doing race week, and those same 8 and possible a couple more will be doing Oxford 2 weeks later, AYC Fall Series in Oct and the MA's in Nov.

If anyone is interested in coming down to the Bay for any of these, I'll be happy to provide free dock space on West River. I can accomodate 2 or 3 boats on my dock and a couple more at my club.

<br />Only 8 signed up for the J35 NA's at NCYC.  Double Shot dropped  out.  <br /><br />How come when the NA's are in Chicago, Muskegon, Toronto, or Annapolis boats from Fleet 11 show up, but when its in Fleet 11's back yard no one from Chicago, Toronto, Muskegon, or Annapolis wants to come up and play?  Maybe we should change this to the Lake Erie J35 Championships.<br /><br />Please discuss amongst yourselves.<br />

Major Detail dropped. Now only 7 boats. The J35 Class(es) really needs to discuss this for any future J35 NA to be successful.

Here are the J35 NA results from NCYC La Salle,

1. 4 USA 43828 Falcon J 35 Edwin Bayer 4 2 2 1 2 2 2 15.0

2. 5 USA 42968 Mr. Bill's Wild Ride J 35 William Wildner 2 1 8/DSQ 4/TLE 1 1 1 18.0

3. 6 USA 73120 Magic J 35 William Hertel 1 3 1 4/TLE 6 5 3 23.0

4. 3 USA 32193 Man-O-War J 35 Thomas Beery 5 4 3 2 3 3 5 25.0

5. 1 USA 40937 Time Machine J 35 Robert Gordenker 3 5 4 4/TLE 4 4 4 28.0

6. 7 USA 97481 Whiplash J 35 Gregg Whipple 6 6 5 4/TLE 5 6 6 38.0

7. 2 USA 25187 Scream J 35 Rick Balsley II 7/TLE 7 6 4/TLE 7 7/TLE 7 45.0

Robert G. and all of NCYC did a great job in putting this together. Those who did not show up missed a great regatta. Lots of wind on Sunday.

Congrats to FALCON.... More details of the results at yachtscoring.com and full race replays at www.kattack.com If you were not there you missed an epic regatta.

FALCON - Transported by water from Detroit Yacht Club

MR. BILL'S WILD RIDE - Transported by water from North Star Sail Club

MAGIC - Transported by water from Erie Yacht Club

MAN-o-WAR: Transported by trailer/F350 from Singing River Yacht Club (Pascagoula MS)

TIME MACHINE - North Cape boat

WHIPLASH - Transported by water from Tawas Bay Yacht Club

SCREAM - Transported by water from Crescent Sail Club

So a boat from Mississippi makes the effort and none of the Lake Michigan or East Coast boats can match it.... hummmmmm. Top Drawer Race Committee, Free hoisting, Free bottom wash, Free beer, Free dockage, Breakfast and dinner included in entry fee, live race tracking, beautiful venue........ What's it going to take?

J

Here are the J35 NA results from NCYC La Salle,

1. 4 USA 43828 Falcon J 35 Edwin Bayer 4 2 2 1 2 2 2 15.0

2. 5 USA 42968 Mr. Bill's Wild Ride J 35 William Wildner 2 1 8/DSQ 4/TLE 1 1 1 18.0

3. 6 USA 73120 Magic J 35 William Hertel 1 3 1 4/TLE 6 5 3 23.0

4. 3 USA 32193 Man-O-War J 35 Thomas Beery 5 4 3 2 3 3 5 25.0

5. 1 USA 40937 Time Machine J 35 Robert Gordenker 3 5 4 4/TLE 4 4 4 28.0

6. 7 USA 97481 Whiplash J 35 Gregg Whipple 6 6 5 4/TLE 5 6 6 38.0

7. 2 USA 25187 Scream J 35 Rick Balsley II 7/TLE 7 6 4/TLE 7 7/TLE 7 45.0

Robert G. and all of NCYC did a great job in putting this together. Those who did not show up missed a great regatta. Lots of wind on Sunday.

OK first of all BUMP!

Can't even stay on page 1 of the J section?? Pathetic.

Two, I could use some input, especially from the pros out there who have been racing J/35's forever and really have the boat figured out.

We are going to be running a speed clinic for J/35 owners and crew in Muskegon Mi as we have a group of newer owners and owners that are looking to grow thier crews, this spring which will include lecture time, breakout sessions by crew position, and OTW speed testing to demonstrate what was talked about in the classroom. Hope to have 6 hulls set up in one design trim and we will finish the weekend off with a race or two.

Looking for content and structure input. For instance how would you set up the break out sessions? Helmsmen and Tactitions, trimmers, mast and bow,

Specific topics to cover, Sail trim for the various sails and condiditons is obvious, What else? What are the "secrets"

Guest speakers, Who would you recommend for us to bring in as a Keynote speaker on the J/35? How about instructors?

We intend to make this low cost, include all meals, two really full days. We will be limited due to the OTW contraints of having only 6 boats to about 50 participants but if it goes well we can look at running it again later.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or input that you might have.

Larry Taunt

J/35 Fleet Captain for Lake MI and Superior

OK first of all BUMP!

Can't even stay on page 1 of the J section?? Pathetic.

Two, I could use some input, especially from the pros out there who have been racing J/35's forever and really have the boat figured out.

We are going to be running a speed clinic for J/35 owners and crew in Muskegon Mi as we have a group of newer owners and owners that are looking to grow thier crews, this spring which will include lecture time, breakout sessions by crew position, and OTW speed testing to demonstrate what was talked about in the classroom. Hope to have 6 hulls set up in one design trim and we will finish the weekend off with a race or two.

Looking for content and structure input. For instance how would you set up the break out sessions? Helmsmen and Tactitions, trimmers, mast and bow,

Specific topics to cover, Sail trim for the various sails and condiditons is obvious, What else? What are the "secrets"

Guest speakers, Who would you recommend for us to bring in as a Keynote speaker on the J/35? How about instructors?

We intend to make this low cost, include all meals, two really full days. We will be limited due to the OTW contraints of having only 6 boats to about 50 participants but if it goes well we can look at running it again later.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or input that you might have.

Larry Taunt

J/35 Fleet Captain for Lake MI and Superior

BTW My boat is still in the water.... for at least a few more days!

post-15596-036668900 1319055843_thumb.jpg

I own Hull # 238 sailing on Saginaw Bay Lake Huron.

Good to see the BERNOULLI boat on the list

Bernoulli was purchased and moved to west Michigan. She is undergoing a refit and paint job at the owners home, and will hopefully sail from the MYC next spring. She will be renamed Hotstick (yes, the third hotstick, what can we say, we like the name). We will be deciding what boat to race at our crew party this Saturday when Hotstick #2 (hobie33) gets pulled from the water. Damn she was a fun ride.

post-47337-090872300 1319113219_thumb.jpg

<br />OK first of all BUMP!<br /><br />Can't even stay on page 1 of the J section??  Pathetic.<br /><br />Two, I could use some input, especially from the pros out there who have been racing J/35's forever and really have the boat figured out.<br /><br />We are going to be running a speed clinic for J/35 owners and crew in Muskegon Mi as we have a group of newer owners and owners that are looking to grow thier crews,  this spring which will include lecture time, breakout sessions by crew position, and OTW speed testing to demonstrate what was talked about in the classroom. Hope to have 6 hulls set up in one design trim and we will finish the weekend off with a race or two. <br /><br />Looking for content and structure input. For instance how would you set up the break out sessions?  Helmsmen and Tactitions, trimmers, mast and bow,<br /><br />Specific topics to cover,  Sail trim for the various sails and condiditons is obvious,   What else?  What are the "secrets" <br /><br />Guest speakers,  Who would you recommend for us to bring in as a Keynote speaker on  the J/35? How about instructors?<br /><br />We intend to make this low cost, include all meals, two really full days. We will be limited due to the OTW contraints of having only 6 boats to about 50 participants but if it goes well we can look at running it again later.<br /><br />I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or input that you might have. <br /><br />Larry Taunt<br />J/35 Fleet Captain for Lake MI and Superior<br />

Rig tuning 101

<br />OK first of all BUMP!<br /><br />Can't even stay on page 1 of the J section??  Pathetic.<br /><br />Two, I could use some input, especially from the pros out there who have been racing J/35's forever and really have the boat figured out.<br /><br />We are going to be running a speed clinic for J/35 owners and crew in Muskegon Mi as we have a group of newer owners and owners that are looking to grow thier crews,  this spring which will include lecture time, breakout sessions by crew position, and OTW speed testing to demonstrate what was talked about in the classroom. Hope to have 6 hulls set up in one design trim and we will finish the weekend off with a race or two. <br /><br />Looking for content and structure input. For instance how would you set up the break out sessions?  Helmsmen and Tactitions, trimmers, mast and bow,<br /><br />Specific topics to cover,  Sail trim for the various sails and condiditons is obvious,   What else?  What are the "secrets" <br /><br />Guest speakers,  Who would you recommend for us to bring in as a Keynote speaker on  the J/35? How about instructors?<br /><br />We intend to make this low cost, include all meals, two really full days. We will be limited due to the OTW contraints of having only 6 boats to about 50 participants but if it goes well we can look at running it again later.<br /><br />I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or input that you might have. <br /><br />Larry Taunt<br />J/35 Fleet Captain for Lake MI and Superior<br />

Rig tuning 101

Great idea! One I hadn't really thought about

Thanks,

I've been looking for a J35 or 36 to do what you have done with your boat. Coastal cruising with a great sailing boat. Would you mind telling me how this boat works out for short handed sailing? Are there any suggestions or tips you can pass on. Have a few boats in my area, a J35 and a J36. Any comments on either for what I want to do. Prices are close. Any advise appreciated.

While you guys kick ass at your local club, thought I'd share a photo of the well deserved afterlife of my J35. Just chillin' in the Spanish Virgins.

Lela51,

The main issue with buying these boats is racing history and the repairs required to make sure it's in safe oceangoing conditions. Not the same conditions that you'd go out to race at a bay than cruise with the family. Having said that, it's not the budget cruiser it seems to be. I have PMd you and I'm willing to share any information about my six year experience which has been 60% project and 40% family cruise. About singlehanding the J35, I will post here and would appreciate any feedback from others.

I have never sailed my boat with a crew. We're a family of four and our weights add up to #450. Initially, I found the boat had huge weatherhelm, causing great fatigue. Easily overpowered and out of control above 15kts TWS with a #135 genoa. I looked for the North Sails tuning guide and found that rake was excessive, and my forestay was more than 4" too long (can't recall total length right now). After reducing rake, things improved a bit, but still, I found the boat was maybe too light and hard to keep on a groove. Reading that crew weight for the boat was 1600# and seeing pictures of these with six on the rail, I figured I needed some weight, so I built two 100g transferable freshwater tanks as settee backs. With this new weight "under" the rail, the boat started making sense to me, and it was a beauty to sail. Weatherhelm was reduced substantially, and the boat wasn't overpowered upwind until 18kts TWS. My latest gear addition this year was 350# of batteries on top of the keel. Last trip to Culebra (20mi upwind) had three 25kt squalls and 5'-6' waves. I just reefed my genoa. Very stable, soft motions, slicing more than jumping, never felt tired, and I could've gone for another 20 miles w/o autopilot. I may be giving up some speed when reaching and downwind, and the boat floats approx. 2" deeper now, but in terms of ease of handling and cruising comfort, to me it's a no-brainer to keep it this way. On the picture at anchor, boat's loaded up with water and battery bank in place. You can tell line of flotation is exactly on bottom paint line. I wonder if this is where they're supposed to be with a full crew on board.

In conclusion, I think the greatest factor to making this boat shorthand is dealing with the weight and balance issue. Besides from that, I've positioned primary winches further aft, where trimming with tiller in hand is easy. Also, I keep my main halyard routed aft, to the port primary winch. This is basic to me for raising sail while "maneuvering" the battens up the lazy jacks. The genoa furler line is also led back to the helm.

Hans

Lela51,

The main issue with buying these boats is racing history and the repairs required to make sure it's in safe oceangoing conditions. Not the same conditions that you'd go out to race at a bay than cruise with the family. Having said that, it's not the budget cruiser it seems to be. I have PMd you and I'm willing to share any information about my six year experience which has been 60% project and 40% family cruise. About singlehanding the J35, I will post here and would appreciate any feedback from others.

I have never sailed my boat with a crew. We're a family of four and our weights add up to #450. Initially, I found the boat had huge weatherhelm, causing great fatigue. Easily overpowered and out of control above 15kts TWS with a #135 genoa. I looked for the North Sails tuning guide and found that rake was excessive, and my forestay was more than 4" too long (can't recall total length right now). After reducing rake, things improved a bit, but still, I found the boat was maybe too light and hard to keep on a groove. Reading that crew weight for the boat was 1600# and seeing pictures of these with six on the rail, I figured I needed some weight, so I built two 100g transferable freshwater tanks as settee backs. With this new weight "under" the rail, the boat started making sense to me, and it was a beauty to sail. Weatherhelm was reduced substantially, and the boat wasn't overpowered upwind until 18kts TWS. My latest gear addition this year was 350# of batteries on top of the keel. Last trip to Culebra (20mi upwind) had three 25kt squalls and 5'-6' waves. I just reefed my genoa. Very stable, soft motions, slicing more than jumping, never felt tired, and I could've gone for another 20 miles w/o autopilot. I may be giving up some speed when reaching and downwind, and the boat floats approx. 2" deeper now, but in terms of ease of handling and cruising comfort, to me it's a no-brainer to keep it this way. On the picture at anchor, boat's loaded up with water and battery bank in place. You can tell line of flotation is exactly on bottom paint line. I wonder if this is where they're supposed to be with a full crew on board.

In conclusion, I think the greatest factor to making this boat shorthand is dealing with the weight and balance issue. Besides from that, I've positioned primary winches further aft, where trimming with tiller in hand is easy. Also, I keep my main halyard routed aft, to the port primary winch. This is basic to me for raising sail while "maneuvering" the battens up the lazy jacks. The genoa furler line is also led back to the helm.

Hans

Some of these boats do extremly well short handed, both around the cans, and distance racing, and w/o the extra weight. Paladin, who sails out of Port Jeff LI comes to mind....won the Bermuda Race double handed division.

Long ago I had a sailmaker take me out on my J/35 and show me how to sail in on the SF Bay. Never had a problem with weight or ballast again. The right set of sails and a C%$#&( load of backstay and it just rips to weather in 18-25kn of wind. Ours is nothing special, just the family RV.

-jim lee

Long ago I had a sailmaker take me out on my J/35 and show me how to sail in on the SF Bay. Never had a problem with weight or ballast again. The right set of sails and a C%$#&( load of backstay and it just rips to weather in 18-25kn of wind. Ours is nothing special, just the family RV.

-jim lee

So Jim what jib do you typically use when daysailing with the family in 10 -15.

dunno what Jim would use, but just out cruisin around in those conditions would be a #3 and a full main, flattened a bit but certaintly not reefed. could carry that config up into the low 20's without freaking out too much.

dunno what Jim would use, but just out cruisin around in those conditions would be a #3 and a full main, flattened a bit but certaintly not reefed. could carry that config up into the low 20's without freaking out too much.

Delivered home one year from the Clearwater-Key West race. Left KW on a cloudy windy wet and cool day, double-handed, with a full dacron main and #3. Wind off the bow 50 deg or so, close reaching, washing machine wave pattern. The boat was managable and no problem, talked to a J40 later who read 30knts on their wind meter overnight (ours was down). Other than the rough wave pattern it was not a bad ride wind wise. At one point beam/broad reaching outside Sarasota Bay we hit 11.5 knots off of a wave with a well timed puff into the mid 20's. Putting in a reef would have helped with the load on the boat, but it was not unmanageable.

Our mantra for the trip was 'the further we go the better it will get'. We would be closer to the Fla coast, the water would get flatter, the wind would lay down. Not.

It was dead on the nose at 20-25 up Tampa Bay, with the last mondo puff laying us on our side just outside of the basin, just as we were out of position to drop the jib.

Oh well, it was not the boat's fault...........................

Sorry, I don't read this forum often.

When doing the RV thing we just use the 95% for everything up to about 20 just like bunp-n-grind said. Above that, just pull down the jib. If it starts getting really hairy with the main alone, mist blowing across the top of the water. Reef the main. We only have the second reef because by the time we want to reef, we want a big reduction.

Its the easiest 35' boat I've seen for RV work. Seeing it performs so well with only a 3 speed, Cruising, Scary & Hairy.

-jim lee

Hey Baddog. You posted about getting together a little early season tuning class on the mid-west coast. Anything come of it? I got Mort all fired up for this season and we would probly make the trip across the mitten for an April wknd.

Hey Baddog. You posted about getting together a little early season tuning class on the mid-west coast. Anything come of it? I got Mort all fired up for this season and we would probly make the trip across the mitten for an April wknd.

Well unfortunately the idea died due to lack of interest. Only had two or three owners who expressed any interest or even bothered to respond and your the second or third. Don't understand it personally.

I was just itching to be in charge of something in April though so we are hosting US Sailing Safety at Sea seminar on April 21st details at www.mycregistration.com clicky

Hoping to do an owners meeting on April 28th at Blue Chip Casino if I can work out the details. More to follow.... B)

So it looks to me like for the first time in what 28? years no J35 North Americans. WTF Can't somebody in this class get it together? Heard rumors Tawas on Lake Huron, Erie PA, even Philly time is running out for 2012 somebody be bold.

So it looks to me like for the first time in what 28? years no J35 North Americans. WTF Can't somebody in this class get it together? Heard rumors Tawas on Lake Huron, Erie PA, even Philly time is running out for 2012 somebody be bold.

I believe it is being held in Erie in Sept. Are you an owner? If so perhaps some of that energy could best channeled in helping the class grow by volunteering for a post in the class (I believe semi recently there were posts open). If you are not an owner I would think there are still positive volunteering things that could be done to help the class grow rather than lament its decline, just my 2 cents.

I was intrigued by a couple of ads i saw this week. A j35 in Va Beach for $25,000 (stripped interior) now under contract. Some in the mid west for $35,000ish

This seems like a great phrf boat and weekend cruiser if you can find one without a soaked hull, which I am guessing they must be at these prices?

I was intrigued by a couple of ads i saw this week. A j35 in Va Beach for $25,000 (stripped interior) now under contract. Some in the mid west for $35,000ish

This seems like a great phrf boat and weekend cruiser if you can find one without a soaked hull, which I am guessing they must be at these prices?

They are great boats, one of only a select few that are in the american sailboat hall of fame. I think they make great both around the cans and offshore boats and because of this I think you are seeing a mini resurgance/interest in the boats. As for a little moisture even if they were to have a small amount at those prices you can afford to put some money into them and still come out with a nice, fast, strong boat. As a semi new owner (2 years) I am very happy with the boat thusfar.

As a long time owner (20 years & many many miles) I'm still happy with mine! Just a really really nice all around boat.

But I've said this before. Sorry, I'll shut up now..

-jim lee

These things don't happen by themselves. People need to get involved and take action. I have been astounded at the level of hand sitting going on. 2012 is on in Erie, 2013 will likely be on Lake MI (Milwaukee or Muskegon) and then back to the Chesapeke in 2014 I would imagine.

These things don't happen by themselves. People need to get involved and take action. I have been astounded at the level of hand sitting going on. 2012 is on in Erie, 2013 will likely be on Lake MI (Milwaukee or Muskegon) and then back to the Chesapeke in 2014 I would imagine.

I am part of the fleet out of EYC in Erie. My spinnaker trimmer and tactician are the ones that originally raised the idea of having the NA's at Erie, after the relatively low turnout and clusterfuck at the NA's in North Cape. (Not knocking Robert or anyone of his committee, who really held it together and made it the best it could be with such a low boat turnout, and helped me out when I broke my hand....). I'm pretty certain it's going to happen, and be hosted at our club. I really, really hope so anyway.

Hotstick (J35) was splashed today in Muskegon Lake. The mast should be up by now. I can't wait to get on the water.

Hotstick (J35) was splashed today in Muskegon Lake. The mast should be up by now. I can't wait to get on the water.

Congrats! I am a few weeks away and jealous! :)

Naptownish based boats from Fleet 7 website

Name Sail Number Hull

Aunt Jean 53408 7 active

Bad Company 40248 124 active

Bump In The Night 32339 active

Bzing 33757 active

Dakota Girl 97864 263 active

Eighth Deadly Sin 73027 163 not very active

Fatal Attraction 41791 209 not very active

Frequent Flyer 83445 211 not very active anymore since owner bought Farr 40

Maggie 40738 157 active

Medicine Man 73000 123 active

Red Dragon 40105 not very

Rebel Yell 73425 268 active

Scot-Free 33927 104 not active

T-Bone 41870 188 active

Tiamat 33785 88 not very

WINDEPENDENT 53427 70 very active

Charlie 53355 13 occassional

Cheers 63251 147 inactive

Rampage 41135 I've never seen this boat

Uncle Joe 41463 168 seems to be only wed nights in West River

Any info on Scot Free would be appreciated. I've crewed on Deck Works (J30) and raced my own J 24 for the past year and a half. Divorce was final yesterday and I think I deserve a new boat....

And you come to this forum recently divorced and yet empty handed? You know the rules. . .

Name Sail Number Hull

Aunt Jean 53408 7 active

Bzing 33757 active

Maggie 40738 157 active

T-Bone 41870 188 active

Tiamat 33785 88 not very

Any info on Scot Free would be appreciated. I've crewed on Deck Works (J30) and raced my own J 24 for the past year and a half. Divorce was final yesterday and I think I deserve a new boat....

Scot free, is that a blue boat? I think the owner of Windependent was racing it as a loaner while his boat was laid up for a while last year. Mark did pretty well with the boat, but apparently it needs some upgrades to some of the deck gear and running rigging.

And you come to this forum recently divorced and yet empty handed? You know the rules. . .

Hah!

I do know the rules and I have the requisite documents ready to post. However, they are on my phone and I am currently logged on to a Gov't computer so there will be a slight delay!

Name Sail Number Hull

Aunt Jean 53408 7 active

Bzing 33757 active

Maggie 40738 157 active

T-Bone 41870 188 active

Tiamat 33785 88 not very

Scot free, is that a blue boat? I think the owner of Windependent was racing it as a loaner while his boat was laid up for a while last year. Mark did pretty well with the boat, but apparently it needs some upgrades to some of the deck gear and running rigging.

Yes..Scot Free is the blue boat. I'm supposed to go take a look at her next week. Sounds like Frequent Flyer might be on the market as well. More to follow....

Scott free seems to be a fast boat Mark always did better with it than his boat.

from the horses .... errrrr Kevin's mouth...

Frequent Flyer is for sale or possible charter.

Hull 233 1988 Boat is clean, dry and in good shape.

If anyone knows of someone who maybe wanting to get into the class this may be a good option. The boat is pretty much race ready and would require little to no work/expense to go racing. Over the years this boat has preformed well and been very competitive. This would be a great ride for someone. Anyone know how to get this message out to the national fleet I would appreciate the email list or if you have it feel free to forward it along.

Thank you

Kevin

I'll PM you his ph #

Scott free seems to be a fast boat Mark always did better with it than his boat.

So..every bit of the running rigging will need replacing. She apparently took a "T-bone" hit at some point but the patch seems to have been done properly. Balto plate is in "fair" condition....haven't seen the sail inventory....intrigued. More to follow.

you get a peek at FF yet?

Just stumbled on this discussion. Raced both on and against Scot-free for many years. I don't think we ever really had boatspeed issues. The boat always seemed fast in OD competition, but I think we had a hard time keeping the sail inventory as fresh as some of the other boats in the fleet. Crew consistency and having to swap out people for different jobs on the boat may have been an issue, too. It would not surprise me if some of the running rigging needed replacement. But the boat was consistent, reliable and well-mannered...I have a deep fondness for 35's!

Personally, I think I had as much fun with that boat/fleet as was humanly possible to have. The 2006 NAC was a complete hoot. It's a great fleet on our Bay, excellent folks and a ton of fun...well, more like 5.25 tons of fun. ;)

you get a peek at FF yet?

Not yet...out of town all of next week so it will be at least early May.

buying a J-35 this week. Any hints (racing and cruising) past all the normal stuff? Will be sailing it in the PNW.

buying a J-35 this week. Any hints (racing and cruising) past all the normal stuff? Will be sailing it in the PNW.

Congrats.

What are you looking for?

Thank you.

Speed is what I am looking for.

Anyone use a asymmetrical with the pole for reaching?

Thank you.

Speed is what I am looking for.

Anyone use a asymmetrical with the pole for reaching?

I have used one and have seen it used a few times (we borrowed it for a Key West race once). Seems to have a narrow band of effectiveness. When it works it is great to keep you in the game with the assym boats. After a certain point then go back to the symm. Having such a little amount of time with it I do not have specifics on angles and wind speeds, just what we felt by the seat of the pants.

Lacking an assymmetrical I have used a 1.5oz spin with a staysail under it when on a beamish reach with some success. Dragging a runner with the pole on the headstay has always been a fight to hang-on to the assyms, especially on a long leg going down the bay.

Almost always a losing one too.

thanks for the input.

The boat does not come with an asym but I might have to look for one for those narrow little bits. Got to keep the crew jumping, anyways.

thanks for the input.

The boat does not come with an asym but I might have to look for one for those narrow little bits. Got to keep the crew jumping, anyways.

this setup works great took syms off the boat now 5 years

post-2536-029473600 1335714202_thumb.jpg

what did you use for your sprit?

I made it

I own composite solutions

pole is carbon on deck 1.3XJ and retractable very simple

changing this year to in hull type like 105 / 109 cleaner foredeck

jeff

The death of a J35 (Oblivion) on the southern tip of Taiwan ... this one was from Bashford / Australia.

Boat was sailed from Singapore and was sold to a local Taiwan owner.

During the Chinese New Year holidays (Feb 18 2010), the J-35 Oblivion arrived at Houbihu harbor around 9:00pm but the crew got mixed-up with the lights that mark the harbor entrance and ended-up on the reef about 150 yards off the harbor entrance. Pleasure boating is almost non-existing here and the only boats going in and out of this harbor are local fishing boats and tour operators ... they know the place but still, very few boats sail in / out of this harbor at night.

We had 35-40 knts from the NE that day and they were running late. Skipper sailed his boat on the rocks just next to the harbor entrance and could never get it out.

The J35 was standing on the rocks while each waves lifted and dropped her on the reef pushing her higher and higher on the reef ... it got pounded for hours before she finally lost her keel. The boat is definitely strong.

Without a keel pinning it down, it got dragger on the rocks and her port side was torn-out. The rest is history.

Crew got pulled out of the surf by a jet-ski. No-one was hurt but Oblivion was crushed.

The owner came back in the morning and hired local boat salvagers to pull her out of there.

He complained to the local government for not installing proper navigation aids. At least they could make sure this doesn't happen again but till today, there are no markers, lights of alignment system to guide the non-local sailors that arrive safely at night.

Lesson learned for this skipper: Never sail into a un-marked harbor at night.

Owner is still sailing ... just ordered a new Soto41 that should be in the water this fall.

post-48936-095670900 1336990147_thumb.jpg

Hello fellow J35 anarchists. I recently purchased a J35 in the PNW! Though my boat was not sold with a trailer... and the quote from Triad is a bit too steep. Anyone have any recommendations or know of a J35 that isn't traveling anymore that may have a trailer available? Thanks!

Hello fellow J35 anarchists. I recently purchased a J35 in the PNW! Though my boat was not sold with a trailer... and the quote from Triad is a bit too steep. Anyone have any recommendations or know of a J35 that isn't traveling anymore that may have a trailer available? Thanks!

I believe that the old Jubliante Deo out of NCYC (now Alpha Puppy out of Chicago) used to sit on one, note sure if it was sold with the boat or if the owner plans to use it if it was sold with the boat.

Fast Feather? I do not have a lead on a trailer.

say emmylou. i have been thinking about what you are planning on doing. when you are done, can we see what the end result looks like?

what did you use for your sprit?

I made it

I own composite solutions

pole is carbon on deck 1.3XJ and retractable very simple

changing this year to in hull type like 105 / 109 cleaner foredeck

jeff

Starbuck, indeed! That's me... You I assume picked up the boss?

Also, emmylou, photos/description of the current deck mounted install would be cool also! Looks great and would be fun for short handed and cruising days.

Starbuck, indeed! That's me... You I assume picked up the boss?

Yes, I bought the boss. See you out on the sound.

Anybody know the dimension of the Stuffing box Flax off hand?? Haven't had a chance to measure the fitting and want to order some so i can repack before the boat goes back in the water. Thanks for any help!