hhn92

J35 Anarchist

Blast reachers are great in the right conditions...and on longer, distance type races can pay dividends. On shorter W/L type races, with shifting winds, they can be a detriment, as they don't allow you to point.  If you can point to say 30 deg apparent with your number 1 genny, then the best you can expect with a high clewed blast reacher is about 40 deg apparent.  So then your forced into a sail change, which if light air is costly from a have a bunch of guys running around on the bow, and if heavier air, do you have enough time to do it based on remaining distance to the pin...

I'm with HHN92 on this one.  For W/L racing, barberhauling the sheet forward and outboard on the light 1 is a better answer.

HHN92, Crash - thanks for the advice.   I'd like to try barber hauling the genoa before fooling with headsail swaps - too much to go wrong and eat time with those.  I've seen barber hauls rigged a lot of different ways - how would you rig it?  

FWIW, we fooled with the reacher post-race.  Sure enough, it was good for another half knot or so in the 60 degrees or so around a beam reach breeze, doesn't heel the boat as much, and it's much easier to trim correctly on that point of sail than the #1.  Promising for distance races.   

Does your boat have the t-track along the edge of the deck?  If so, there are two easy choices. One is to have a pin stop car on that track, somewhere right around/slightly forward of max beam.  Then a snatch block and an extra sheet.  We used to leave the snatch block on the coiled extra sheet.  Tie extra sheet on to clew, attach snatch block to track.  Take tension on a winch, while easing primary jib sheet.  With a little experimentation you can figure out where the car needs to be.  

Slightly more complicated is a snatch block on the end of the extra sheet.  Put second snatch block over existing jib sheet, then take on barberhualer while jib sheet is eased.  Typically car can be a little farther forward then in plan A above.  With block on, you can play both sheets to get the right clew position...

Yes, it's got the T-track all the way up.  We've got a couple pin stop cars  which will work fine for barber hauling the genoa sheet.  I'll give it a try and let you know.     

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:51 AM, Lex Teredo said:

When to use the reacher?

We've recently had a couple PHRF W/L races in shifty winds that created longish reaching legs, and have found the #1 hard to trim well.  Spinnaker reaching hasn't been a great option because the spin won't fly higher than about 105' if the wind is light, and while we can go a little above the beam in heavier wind (with the crew earning every beer hiking out hard) the shifty wind makes us perform additional gybes and it adds length to the leg.  Or we wind up dousing and re-setting the unsatisfactory #1. This kills the race for us.    

So I'm considering breaking out the jib top (reacher) as a compromise - it's 155-proportioned except for the cutaway foot and high clew.  It looks pretty and efficient on a beam reach, but I don't know the sail very well.  

Any thoughts from the Brain Trust on the right conditions to use the reacher vs. the #1 and the spinnaker? 

The jib top works so well on a close reach we banned them here in the Great Lakes for OD work.. Didn't want to raise the bar in the arms race.  If legal for your PHRF rating they are a great sail for those in between angles.

HHN92 advice on barber hauling is the next best thing.  We don't go to the spin until the wind is at 120 TWA ,  Barber hauled 1 is as fast or faster and obviously easier closer. 

Good Luck!

59 minutes ago, lartaunt said:

The jib top works so well on a close reach we banned them here in the Great Lakes for OD work.. Didn't want to raise the bar in the arms race.  If legal for your PHRF rating they are a great sail for those in between angles.

HHN92 advice on barber hauling is the next best thing.  We don't go to the spin until the wind is at 120 TWA ,  Barber hauled 1 is as fast or faster and obviously easier closer. 

Good Luck!

So what is to stop the use of Code Zeros? They are quicker than genoas and ups the arms race. 

Just now, George Hackett said:

So what is to stop the use of Code Zeros? They are quicker than genoas and ups the arms race. 

Usually a code zero will get you a rating hit. as it is more Sail Area,  not class legal either if doing OD.  Jib top is the same SA so no rating hit.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:36 PM, Crash said:

Does your boat have the t-track along the edge of the deck?  If so, there are two easy choices. One is to have a pin stop car on that track, somewhere right around/slightly forward of max beam.  Then a snatch block and an extra sheet.  We used to leave the snatch block on the coiled extra sheet.  Tie extra sheet on to clew, attach snatch block to track.  Take tension on a winch, while easing primary jib sheet.  With a little experimentation you can figure out where the car needs to be.  

Slightly more complicated is a snatch block on the end of the extra sheet.  Put second snatch block over existing jib sheet, then take on barberhualer while jib sheet is eased.  Typically car can be a little farther forward then in plan A above.  With block on, you can play both sheets to get the right clew position...

Yes, this is like what we do, pre-rigged snatch block and a shackle to the clew, playing both sheets or individually depending on trim. I like the floating set-up myself but on a 35 it gets weird with the lifeline and sheeting angle. On other boats it worked well where there was more side-deck and a tighter primary sheeting angle. With the floating block if you needed to tack for some reason you could let the primary sheet run to get the tack in and then clean-up the barber-hauler sheet after.

Agree the reacher would be best on distance courses or random leg bay courses. not w/l's. Good luck with it and report back on your results.

52 minutes ago, lartaunt said:

Usually a code zero will get you a rating hit. as it is more Sail Area,  not class legal either if doing OD.  Jib top is the same SA so no rating hit.

Sounds like what ever rating system you are in, they do not know how to rate sails. CZs are lumped in with spinnakers, not genoas. And if my memories have not failed me. Class genoas are 153% and spinnakers are 180%. So you could build a CZ to 170% like I have done on my boat and have a true weapon. And IRC treats CZ as kites, not headsails. 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:06 PM, ~HHN92~ said:

Yes, this is like what we do, pre-rigged snatch block and a shackle to the clew, playing both sheets or individually depending on trim. I like the floating set-up myself but on a 35 it gets weird with the lifeline and sheeting angle. On other boats it worked well where there was more side-deck and a tighter primary sheeting angle. With the floating block if you needed to tack for some reason you could let the primary sheet run to get the tack in and then clean-up the barber-hauler sheet after.

Agree the reacher would be best on distance courses or random leg bay courses. not w/l's. Good luck with it and report back on your results.

Thanks for the tips.  We used the barber haul on a long leg in a distance OD race last weekend, so no reacher.  Had some new crew and the wind was solid (17-23) and sporty, and although the other J/35 ran off under spinnaker, we sailed high close to the rhumb line to take advantage of the barber hauled #1 and not test the guest crew (or newish skipper) too much.  We got hit with a big 30+ kts gust about 90 minutes in, which lasted a few minutes - and the boat was very controllable with that rigging.  We rigged the barber haul a couple minutes after the #1 was up, and noticed an immediate 1 kt improvement on a beam-close reach over the genoa alone, and a big advantage was that the sail didn't flog with gusts and lulls, and we hit spinnaker-level speed in the puffs - without broaching or blowing a spinnaker, as a bunch of other boats did. 

Later on in the evening we rigged the reaching kite and that gave an additional knot (and more, wind got to 120 apparent +/- 15 degrees for an hour at 21kts steady, with bigger gusts and we went surfing & sledding for a couple hours.  We still lost a good deal of time - maybe 15 minutes? - to the other J/35 on the 5 hour reach/downwind leg despite sailing maybe two miles less over ground, so next time I think we will copy them, and if they run off I'll run off, and if they reach with the #1 I'll try that too, use the barber haul where the fast guy's choice is to close reach.  

BTW, we averaged around 7 kts for 10 hours, up and downwind, with maybe two hours at only 9-12 knots wind.  She has such good manners in a blow, particularly under the spinnaker, and it stood out in sharp contrast to a couple more tender boats that we saw doing death rolls into a broach.  God, I love this boat. It is insanely good.

yes, they are very forgiving boats to sail. I love mine.

And back to barber hauling: If you run guys for your spin off of the tee bar on the rail, they make very quick and easy barber haulers. Just slide them to where you want them and transfer the genoa sheet over to the guy. Have made some big gains doing this a couple of times.

10 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

Thanks for the tips.  We used the barber haul on a long leg in a distance OD race last weekend, so no reacher.  Had some new crew and the wind was solid (17-23) and sporty, and although the other J/35 ran off under spinnaker, we sailed high close to the rhumb line to take advantage of the barber hauled #1 and not test the guest crew (or newish skipper) too much.  We got hit with a big 30+ kts gust about 90 minutes in, which lasted a few minutes - and the boat was very controllable with that rigging.  We rigged the barber haul a couple minutes after the #1 was up, and noticed an immediate 1 kt improvement on a beam-close reach over the genoa alone, and a big advantage was that the sail didn't flog with gusts and lulls, and we hit spinnaker-level speed in the puffs - without broaching or blowing a spinnaker, as a bunch of other boats did. 

Later on in the evening we rigged the reaching kite and that gave an additional knot (and more, wind got to 120 apparent +/- 15 degrees for an hour at 21kts steady, with bigger gusts and we went surfing & sledding for a couple hours.  We still lost a good deal of time - maybe 15 minutes? - to the other J/35 on the 5 hour reach/downwind leg despite sailing maybe two miles less over ground, so next time I think we will copy them, and if they run off I'll run off, and if they reach with the #1 I'll try that too, use the barber haul where the fast guy's choice is to close reach.  

BTW, we averaged around 7 kts for 10 hours, up and downwind, with maybe two hours at only 9-12 knots wind.  She has such good manners in a blow, particularly under the spinnaker, and it stood out in sharp contrast to a couple more tender boats that we saw doing death rolls into a broach.  God, I love this boat. It is insanely good.

Its a great solid boat that will bring you home every time. Smart taking it conservative with guest crew, etc. until you gain more experience with the boat, conditions, and sail selection. Talk to and watch what the other boats do and you will climb the learning curve, maybe a couple of bumps in the road but that is part of the learning process, finding the limitations.

With the big barn door rudder she will take quite a lot, but there is a point where she gives up. In high reaching winds make sure to have someone on the vang, they will be your 'throttle' man to help maintain that control with the rudder. On many wipeouts you never see the vang eased, it is a critical control in those conditions.

Go get 'em.

The J/35 class website has a lot of helpful tips.  For shaft strut cutlass bearing replacement go here.

The people in the Fix It forum will have more detailed comments to offer you if you run into problems.  You may want to search the forum first though. 

I would clean it up, paint it and make sure to keep the shaft clean and zinc'ed. Lots of life left on the strut. Make sure your cutless bearing is good. 

Thank you, The article about the cutlass bearing is what i was looking for.

I´m reading every thing i find about the propeller and other parts related to vibrations while running under engine power. Trying to determinate how much vibration may be considered normal. I believe I have a two blade feathering Martec, and I read it would normally cause lots of vibrations, on my case over 2000 rpm I start wondering if it is sane to let it vibrate continuously.

The shaft has a little play on the cutlass bearing, changing it could help solve the problem, I'm also looking at the propeller for any service it may need that would help diminish the issue. Some info on this would be welcome too.

resized_20170722_143011.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:05 AM, Andres Marangunic said:

Thank you, The article about the cutlass bearing is what i was looking for.

I´m reading every thing i find about the propeller and other parts related to vibrations while running under engine power. Trying to determinate how much vibration may be considered normal. I believe I have a two blade feathering Martec, and I read it would normally cause lots of vibrations, on my case over 2000 rpm I start wondering if it is sane to let it vibrate continuously.

The shaft has a little play on the cutlass bearing, changing it could help solve the problem, I'm also looking at the propeller for any service it may need that would help diminish the issue. Some info on this would be welcome too.

resized_20170722_143011.jpg

That's not a Martec, it is a feathering prop by the company I cannot think of right now.

Day 1 of North American Championship Regatta in Annapolis MD.   Light and variable winds allowed only one race to be completed.  Mr Bill's Wild Ride of North star Sailing Club in Harrison Township MI took race one with Aunt Jean of the home Annapolis YC in second place, and Major Detail of the Port Huron Yacht Club, Port Huron MI took third.  Full results on Yachtscoring.

Let's hope for some better winds for day two so the race committee can bang out some more races!!

22 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Another east coast BS Regatta

What a wonderful contribution to the discussion! 

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:07 PM, ~HHN92~ said:

Wish I could have talked our guys into it. Will there be pics, etc.?

I was in town for a brief appearance but did not get out on the water.  I am sure someone was taking pics though and I will post some if I get copies.

Day 2 results   Mr. Bill goes 1,1,3,   to maintain first place,  Major Detail goes 4,4,1, to move into a tie for second place with Abientot who went 2, 3,2, for the day.  Aunt Jean is hot on their heels only 2 points behind after going 3,2,7 on day two.   Bill is going to be hard to catch but anything is possible and the fight for the other two podium position is fierce! Full results HERE

3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

How do you no butteheade?

2 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

What a wonderful contribution to the discussion! 

Maybe I used the wrong words.
There are may J 35 around the country. Quite a few here in Calif.
Not having it on middle ground made it an East Coast Event.
A J 35 is a tough boat to trailer.

I wonder how many would trailer their boats if it were held in the SF Bay?

Maybe.  It was a really good event.  Some of us local skippers who are new-ish to the J/35 or not yet heavily into the OD side of things were talking about conspiring to get out more often, and how to goad some of our less active friends into coming out more often.  The racing is too good (for its own sake and for improving our performance as a boat) to consign ourselves to PHRF. We are a first year program and took the wooden spoon but when we finished a couple races within a hooded sand wedge of the back of the pack, knew it was the best we had sailed since standing the program up.  It left the crew energized and a few of them asking about practicing and trying to race more OD.  That's partly the result of the quality racing but also because of how well the event was organized, and how gracious the other skippers and crew are.  We took the wooden spoon but by aping the better boats we got to within a hooded sand wedge of the back of the pack in a couple races.  And I am confident that my bow & mast guys podiumed in the after party competition on at least two of three days.  

Fleet 7 leadership and the Annapolis YC, and a bunch of former J/35 owners and sailors on the RC, did an immense amount of work to make it happen.  All praise to them, and to the Detroiters who came out and kicked butt.  I didn't ask the Detroiters the cost, but suspect it's at least half the median price of any decent quality J/35 listed on Yachtworld.  It's not clear my program will ever be in a position to do that, but if there was to be a left coast NA's in a few years from now, and I could find a local boat to charter out there, I'd speak with the crew about making the trip.    

Any thoughts on that, Meat? 

Any round numbers on what it took to truck the boats from Detroit to Nap town? May go to work on the gang for the next time it is in town, FL to MI is probably too long a haul to persuade them to go for it.

2 hours ago, ~HHN92~ said:

Any round numbers on what it took to truck the boats from Detroit to Nap town? May go to work on the gang for the next time it is in town, FL to MI is probably too long a haul to persuade them to go for it.

Understand that for one of the boats trucked commercially that it was about $7k trucking, plus mast and splash, probably another $1.5K.  Definitely cheaper potentially to borrow trailer and rent a dually to tow.

Certainly looking at the potential of tripping to the NA's next year from Annapolis.  If it was lined up with the Mac, may provide better bang for the buck.

Got to say, we really appreciate the effort of the J 35 leadership, AYC, welcoming nature of Fleet 7 and effort of the boats that can travel, has made for a great introduction to J 35 Class racing over the last year.

Roll on the fall series, Mid Atlantics and more into 2018.

Been back in Detroit for about an hour and a half, Fleet 7 did an outstanding job with the NA's. It's always good when you win it, but this was not my first rodeo, that would have been Chicago 96-97? Roger it was good to meet you, and thanks for giving us that 3rd. Hope that Tawas can pull off 2018 NA's after the 2nd Mac race next season. Come on up try the freshwater, tick off a couple of boxes, time does not wait. 

12 hours ago, rogerlantuk said:

Got to say, we really appreciate the effort of the J 35 leadership, AYC, welcoming nature of Fleet 7 and effort of the boats that can travel, has made for a great introduction to J 35 Class racing over the last year.

Roll on the fall series, Mid Atlantics and more into 2018.

Howay, Roger!  You guys sailed (and partied) really well.  Looking forward to many races against you... hopefully we don't spend all of them looking through binocs, admiring the lettering on your transom.  Chapeaux!

Trucking from the Clinton River (just north of Detroit) to Jabins is $7200 round trip, Jabin yard fees for unloading/loading boat and steppjng/unstepping the mast about $1700. Keep in mind Jabins only picked up the mast and put it in the boat, me and my crew did all the assembly and disassembly.

Yard fees in Michigan generally will be considerably less, as will lodging.

BTW, hats off to AYC and Fleet 7, a very friendly welcoming group. My fourth time bringing Wild Ride to Annapolis and its always a good Time.

Wild Bill Out

Big thanks to AYC and Fleet 7 for putting on a great event.  Big thanks to the Major Detail and Mr. Bill's Wild Ride for making the trip from the Midwest to Annapolis.   I just got word today that Tawas YC is pull out for the 2018 NA's so we are looking for a new venue.  I would like to keep it on the Lake Huron/St. Clair  area if we can.   More to follow!

Any more J-35s that want to join the fun in Winter Vashon? We have four right now; Great White, Shearwater, Those Guys and the Boss. We just need one more to get a one design start. Something Special, Melange, Altair, Solution, Grace E? Just need one more...

On 1/21/2018 at 10:30 PM, ~HHN92~ said:

So, what is the normal rate to charter a 35 for the NA's?

I had discussed this a few years ago with someone from the lakes coming out here.. at about 2k for the boat plus cost of insurance rider and them  using their own sails.

9 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

I had discussed this a few years ago with someone from the lakes coming out here.. at about 2k for the boat plus cost of insurance rider and them  using their own sails.

Thanks, I keep prodding our guys that we need to do one of these things to see where we really are at. I will keep working on it....

Just to let you know, even though it is Still winter, we are still racing in the PNW. Feb 17, Toliva Shoal Race. We experienced winds as high as the low 40's.

21451-M-1.jpg

• Like 1

Prop Question.  i currently have a Martec, but they are out of business if i am correct.  so, who else can make a folding prop?  not sure i want to go with a Max Feathering Prop. 

Gori makes a class legal folding prop for the J/35.   

Unfortunately you missed the group buy that Anarchist Larry Taunt arranged on behalf of the class a couple years ago but he can probably tell you which model is the right one for the boat.  

20 hours ago, George Hackett said:

Prop Question.  i currently have a Martec, but they are out of business if i am correct.  so, who else can make a folding prop?  not sure i want to go with a Max Feathering Prop. 

Did that happen recently? I sent our prop to them a couple of years ago and we able to get a rebuilt one after finding ours was too far gone.

My understanding is that Martec is still in business but are only refurbishing propellers and no longer manufacturing.   The Gori prop purchase program involved the Vari fold  and we purchased through AB Marine. Contact was geoff@ab-marine.com .  Depending on your engine and transmission there were slight variances in the propeller but AB Marine can assist in the process.

The people who have the Gori Propeller have been very happy including myself.  PM me if you have any specific questions.

I just purchased J 35 "Steamboat". I'm not racing it this year (I don't think;)) until I get some more important things done. I want to rebed starboard turnbuckle and remove chainplate and do some work on bulkhead where chain plate attaches. Yes, I had survey and area is structurally sound. Least of my problems is cushions. They're probably original (1983) Wife hates them and they smell of mildew. I know a couple of upholsterers. Any suggestions? I'll probably remove V berth cushions and quarter berth cushions for now and get cabin cushions done. I need foot pump for cabin sink. Any ideas where to get one? Rudder bearings are good. Motor is good, but I want to replace the bellows assembly where shaft exits hull. Surveyor suggested benetau assembly. Any ideas? I also want to replace lifelines. I don't know if there is a supplier of old J Boat parts or if I just get parts like any other boat. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions once I move boat from Greenwich to City Island. Last question for today: boat has running backstays. I intend to use them, but current owner said he never did. He also said he was never on a blast reach in heavy seas. What say yea?

First off, welcome to the fleet.  You're going to like that boat. 

Second, those aren't running backstays, they are check stays.  The mast is very flexible and how it's trimmed makes a huge difference.  Backstay pressure is key to keeping her flat upwind at an optimal 10-12 degrees heel and to controlling weather helm, but the mast will pump upwind if it is choppy.  Checkstay tension helps stop mast pumping, and I am told helps with pointing even when it is not pumping but I haven't fully figured that out yet.   

Third - if you are reupholstering spring for upgraded foam. It's a lot more comfortable to sleep on.

Thanks Lex. I'm assuming the checkstays run from the larger aft block (ahead of the spin turning block) and to cabin top winch?

You can rig them how you like.  Mine are rigged that way.  To stop pumping, I can pull them directly, and I have cleats where I sit.  It only takes modest pull (okay, I'm the size of a small brown bear) to put enough tension on to stop pumping.  

The guy who uses them to trim for pointing a little better really grinds hard on them, and I think his lead them from the turning block on the toerail up to the aft cabintop secondary.

The check stays should go from the mast to blocks mounted on tabs either side of the backstay, then to the blocks on the rail and forward. Other than class mandated items that require the original supplier parts you will source things like lifelines, etc. from local outlets.

Check your chainplates for cracking where the lowers mount, with the perpindicular mounting to the bulkhead and the slight offset pull when loaded with back stay ours had a crack coming out of one of the pin holes for the shroud. The chainplates are made from a somewhat odd thickness of stainless, a local metal fabrication shop that made new ones for us had to special order the correct sheet stock.

• Like 1

Stepping off the dock with the crew following this week's iteration of the Wednesday World Championships, an old guy with a sailor looks at the procession and says, "You guys sail with all those people... on just one boat?"  Big laughs from my crew, but yes, crew management is maybe the single biggest headache for us as a new program. 

It's gotten a lot easier this year (second season as a full time program) using TeamSnap.  It isn't a deluxe application, it's pretty simple to handle, has a website and a phone app for access, and it automates most of the availability emails / texts.  People in the crew pool get a couple weekly reminders asking them whether they are available for an event.  It's simple to enter events into the calendar, and the app takes over from there.  There are multiple tiers of service (free, basic, pretty good, premium). I paid about $70 for the pretty good service.  One thing that is nice is the ability to send a quick email / text only to those people signed up for an event, and it's quick and easy to send an email to the whole crew pool.  There are some things I can't do - I have a roster of about 7-8 guests who I would like to keep on a separate list for big regattas or if we desperately need crew, and there's no way to keep those names separate from the master list.  But otherwise it's really handy and given the price I'm not going to complain much.  I'm not affiliated with the application maker nor do I have any commercial interest in the company, just thought some of you might like to know about it.   

https://yachtscoring.com/current_event_entries.cfm?eID=4588

J35 NA's in Cheboygan Michigan July 27 - 29th.  15 registered.  Should be fun.