Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PoliticallyIncorrect

B-Boat Anarchy

OK all you Leif Bailey lovers! You've got your OWN thread now. Let's start singing the praises of The Editors favorite small boat designer.

Fat_bastard_1_.jpg

The S/A of old:

Bravura 29

So, we're looking around at the results at the recent North Sails Race Week in Long Beach, CA, and we notice that the new Leif Beiley designed Bravura 29 finished next to last in its PHRF Class. Now, we weren't there so we don't know what exactly happened, but the finishes were not good, and early reports are that the thing isn't very fast anyway. It's also a bit odd looking and seems to lack sail area and in this day of sprits and huge asso's, the sail plan seems pretty dated. Oh well, it's not exactly a Farr-type pedigree. Oh yeah, that and it's pretty pricey - something well over $100,000!

But then we remembered that the great Peter Isler had reviewed this boat for Sailing World. Surely his knowledge of boats and Yale education would give us insight into this boat, right? Not exactly. Not only was his review politically correct drivel, it included this gem: when talking about the boat and price he referred to this 29', over $100,000 less than speedy speedster as "a great value." A great value? Not a "good" value, or a "fair" value, either of which would be inaccurate and flatly untrue. No Isler called it a "great value".

Now the question is, for whom does Isler summate that this pig would be a great value? If it is such a "great value" we must assume that Isler has one on order, because surely he wouldn't want to pass up on a "great value", would he? Is there one person, besides the designer, who would possibly call this boat a "great value"? Obviously Isler feels no responsibility to provide an honest evaluation for readers. Now, granted no need to hammer the boat unmercifully, but jesus, how about stepping up and telling it like it is? When Car & Driver reviews a car, you get an honest, albeit subjective review. And we know that all reviews are subjective. But I doubt you'll see them call, say a $100,000 Panoz Esperante a "great value". Perhaps a little dough changed hands during the Bravura 29 review? Now then we would understand what Isler means by "great value"!

posted 6/26/01

I didn't want to paste the whole thing - it's at Features/Archives/Editorial/2001:Sore Loser

OK all you Leif Bailey lovers! You've got your OWN thread now. Let's start singing the praises of The Editors favorite small boat designer.

Go little B-Boats!!!

post-7232-1261418419_thumb.jpg

Bravura 29

So, we're looking around at the results at the recent North Sails Race Week in Long Beach, CA, and we notice that the new Leif Beiley designed Bravura 29 finished next to last in its PHRF Class. Now, we weren't there so we don't know what exactly happened, but the finishes were not good, and early reports are that the thing isn't very fast anyway. It's also a bit odd looking and seems to lack sail area and in this day of sprits and huge asso's, the sail plan seems pretty dated. Oh well, it's not exactly a Farr-type pedigree. Oh yeah, that and it's pretty pricey - something well over $100,000!

But then we remembered that the great Peter Isler had reviewed this boat for Sailing World. Surely his knowledge of boats and Yale education would give us insight into this boat, right? Not exactly. Not only was his review politically correct drivel, it included this gem: when talking about the boat and price he referred to this 29', over $100,000 less than speedy speedster as "a great value." A great value? Not a "good" value, or a "fair" value, either of which would be inaccurate and flatly untrue. No Isler called it a "great value".

Now the question is, for whom does Isler summate that this pig would be a great value? If it is such a "great value" we must assume that Isler has one on order, because surely he wouldn't want to pass up on a "great value", would he? Is there one person, besides the designer, who would possibly call this boat a "great value"? Obviously Isler feels no responsibility to provide an honest evaluation for readers. Now, granted no need to hammer the boat unmercifully, but jesus, how about stepping up and telling it like it is? When Car & Driver reviews a car, you get an honest, albeit subjective review. And we know that all reviews are subjective. But I doubt you'll see them call, say a $100,000 Panoz Esperante a "great value". Perhaps a little dough changed hands during the Bravura 29 review? Now then we would understand what Isler means by "great value"!

FT 7.5

EVEN THOUGH I WASN'T THERE... the FT 7.5 finished next to last in its class at Key West '09. Then I remembered SA said all these great things about the boat. Why would they lie to us like that, are they biased or something?

I could be wrong, but I'd bet a 20 yo B-32 design could run down Ed's FT-10 design in anything over 6knots, both directions. Same for the B-25 and the FT-7.5

Sorry puppy doggie but I came from a B32 to the FT10. The FT10 is much quicker both ways. The ratings do not lie.

Hey Sail Dago, this is MY thread! Get your own! If I say the B32's faster, it just iz...cuz...this iz SA/JA phantasy land, and the posterz alwaz right...

EVEN THOUGH I WASN'T THERE... the FT 7.5 finished next to last in its class at Key West '09. Then I remembered SA said all these great things about the boat. Why would they lie to us like that, are they biased or something?

At a recent talk given by Bob Perry the question was asked "Why did you design the FT7.5 with chines?" The answer was something to the effect of "The client thought chines were cool, and they are sort of en-vogue right now. The client wanted them so we drew them on the boat." Great design philosophy... Nothing wrong with Perry, his talk was mostly centered around his designs being what the client wants, which is the case with the FT7.5. Just thought it was interesting.