Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recidivist

Jessica Watson - Respect

OK, I was one of the worriers. Not a naysayer, but seriously concerned for a young kid in a small boat and a large, empty and unfriendly ocean.

Well, this slip of a girl has been going for about 65 days (I haven't checked) - that's over 2 months. She's clocked about 7500 nm solo since starting out. She's now somewhere about 40 degrees south - after crossing the equator - that's 40 degrees north-south, a lot more than I've ever done in one trip.

She's climbed the mast, fixed stuff and seems to be in good spirits. Maybe there is some PR spin, but generally she seems to be enjoying herself and coping well. The tough stuff is just ahead, and I hope the Southern Ocean is kind to her.

She has my respect. Well done Jesse, and good luck in the cold days to come.

R

Very nice, R.

Any way we can we get an S/A e-Christmas card to her, from all of us?........

Give me a boat, pay my bills, and I'll sail around the facking globe too! Go The Blubb!

You look like Jessica?..........

Give me a boat, pay my bills, and I'll sail around the facking globe too! Go The Blubb!

OK, I'll play.

Clearly you don't think there's anything very special about what Jesse Watson is doing - it's just a matter of someone giving you a boat and you too can do it.

Well, an enormously experienced round the world solo yachtsman and Antartic expeditioner HAS given Jessica a boat - at the tender age of 16. When someone like Don McIntyre steps up and backs A KID, you know that kid is something pretty special.

I'm assuming you're a little older than Jessica. The fact that so far no-one has thought of donating a boat to you to sail around the world probably tells us something about how your potential is percieved by those around you with money and experience.

I think I'll stick to "Go Jesse".

Very nice, R.

Any way we can we get an S/A e-Christmas card to her, from all of us?........

Worth looking into Rico. I'll see what I can find.

Will we need Daniel Taylor's expertise on SSB's, PactorBator modems and all things electronica?........... :P

With you 100% Recidivist. Outstanding effort thus far and obviously a tougher person mentally and physically than many of us (myself included) gave her credit for in the lead up.

And when she gets home safely let's hope that's the end of the "youngest ever" spiral.

Argus

Ah-ha! Success has many fathers, whilst failure is an orphan.

Jessica was very well prepared from the start , if only some people would have taken the time to do some homework on the subject before wading in with there ill informed and biased opinions.

She is going great guns but still has many challengers ahead. Even if she doesn't make it all the way around, she has my utmost respect.

We will be hearing lot about this girl in the future.

She is a star in the making. Keep it up Jess and stay safe!

A Christmas message from all here at SA would be greatly appreciated I am sure.

I see that most of here detractors (and their numerous sock puppets) have disappeared from here. And thank fuck for that.

With you 100% Recidivist. Outstanding effort thus far and obviously a tougher person mentally and physically than many of us (myself included) gave her credit for in the lead up.

And when she gets home safely let's hope that's the end of the "youngest ever" spiral.

Argus

Why is it always easier for some people to give criticism rather than praise?

This young woman deserves credit, support & recognition for following her dream.

That's a good suggestion - to send her e-mails at Christmas.

I will try to do it.

Thanks for the post.

Argus

Hear, f*cking hear!

My respect flows in no way from the "youngest" aspect, merely that she is a young person doing a bloody good job. And, like LB15, it's not necessary for her to make it all the way around (or unassisted). What she has done so far is good enough for me, but I still have a parent's natural fear of something going bad a long, long way from help. But I do now have greater faith in her ability to deal with (almost) whatever gets thrown at her.

Good luck Jesse.

Argus

Hear, f*cking hear!

My respect flows in no way from the "youngest" aspect, merely that she is a young person doing a bloody good job. And, like LB15, it's not necessary for her to make it all the way around (or unassisted). What she has done so far is good enough for me, but I still have a parent's natural fear of something going bad a long, long way from help. But I do now have greater faith in her ability to deal with (almost) whatever gets thrown at her.

Good luck Jesse.

We have many parents here on this forum that feel the exact same way (moi included). Methinks some of the child-less members here may have misconstrued some of our trepidations and fears (and ergo our posts) for something a bit different. Like ridicule and derision, instead of an instinctive paternal/maternal gut reaction to watch out for our youngins'.

Make sense?...........

Makes sense to me Rick, but there were some who were adamant that she wasn't up to it. I think those ones have been silenced, but you and I, and a few others, will continue to worry for her until she comes home, without any disparagement intended.

I should add, about 3 years ago JRTC announced that he wanted to do the trip around and become the youngest to do it. Our boat is similar in genre to the SS34 that has a proven track record, but it's a 1/4 knot faster so he was going to go for the speed record as well.

Mr Recidivist knew there was no way he could afford to get the boat into world-girdling shape, but was saved from worrying about that when Mrs Recidivist just said flatly NO!

So, not all kids get to follow their dreams :(

Jessica was very well prepared from the start , if only some people would have taken the time to do some homework on the subject before wading in with there ill informed and biased opinions.

She is going great guns but still has many challengers ahead. Even if she doesn't make it all the way around, she has my utmost respect.

I see that most of here detractors (and their numerous sock puppets) have disappeared from here. And thank fuck for that.

Nice try lb. I think if you take the time to think about it you'll see that I (and others here) haven't changed my opinion about anything other than recognising that she's done very well and - yes - made me eat some of my words about her ability & preparation. However nothing's changed about my opinion regarding "youngest ever" records and I still have the same concerns about her physical (read strength) ability if she has any major issues in the tough times ahead. So, sorry lb, I can't give you the satisfaction of subscribing to your fathers & orphans theory. Try to understand that being worried doesn't make someone a naysayer. Please do try.

Merry Xmas to all.

Argus

[/size]

Nice try lb. I think if you take the time to think about it you'll see that I (and others here) haven't changed my opinion about anything other than recognising that she's done very well and - yes - made me eat some of my words about her ability & preparation. However nothing's changed about my opinion regarding "youngest ever" records and I still have the same concerns about her physical (read strength) ability if she has any major issues in the tough times ahead. So, sorry lb, I can't give you the satisfaction of subscribing to your fathers & orphans theory. Try to understand that being worried doesn't make someone a naysayer. Please do try.

Merry Xmas to all.

Argus

Hey Argus mate my comments weren't aimed at you or boothy or any one else who has posted so far on this thread. I was referring to those turds like rich fry, liquid ring block, solosailer and others who were carrying on like fuckwits saying she is going to die, running a book on how long she would last and calling for her parents to be locked up.

Most people who had/has reservations about her safety voiced them in a sane and balanced way. Yet a small few attacked me personally for defending her, including receiving abusive e-mails and threatening phone calls to my office and mobile. And no I am not joking!

I am a parent too as you know and still share your concerns about the youngest record. So I couldn't resist a dig at those pricks!

Then again I am just as guilty of child abuse myself. I have bought my 10 year old an opti for Xmas. The shame, the shame!

BTW does an opti need batteries?

Merry Xmas Argus and all. Have a great and safe holiday.

I look forward to heckling at the presentations at all of your regattas next year!

And......

GO JESS!

I'd do it too and I'm a paraplegic. Talk about the first real disabled person to sail the easy around the world. I might consider rounding the Horn if I had the right boat too.

I hope the Southern Ocean is kind to her.

R

Have they ruled out the Panama Canal?

I hope the Southern Ocean is kind to her.

R

Have they ruled out the Panama Canal?

If you check her web site for her objectives and planned route, you would not need to ask the question.

Her objective is an "unassisted" circumnavigation which precludes a transit of the Panama Canal.

I personally don't consider it a proper circumnavigation for a sailcraft to use the Suez and/or the Panama Canal's.

I am also hoping that Abby Sunderland's route will include at least 2 of the great capes.

Not been a naysayer either. Wish I'd had that sort of focus when I was her age. Happy Christmas Jessica, be safe.

Good to see her progress!

And may good fortune and fair winds supplement her boat and preparation as she rounds Cape Horn....it's a venture I've decided to experience only vicariously!

I've been reading her blog since she started, she has a great attitude, so far at least she seems well prepared for it. Hope she continues to do well as she heads into the southern ocean.

Go Jess!

I'd do it too and I'm a paraplegic. Talk about the first real disabled person to sail the easy around the world. I might consider rounding the Horn if I had the right boat too.

You obviously don't know who Vinny Lauwers is.

From http://www.icmi.com.au/Speaker/Inspiration...s/Vinny_Lauwers

On Saturday 12th August 2000 Vinny Lauwers returned to Melbourne after seven months and two weeks at sea. It had taken seven years of preparation for Vinny to realise his incredible dream…To be the first disabled person to sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world.

PHB

Blubberboy - 3739 posts and still an Asshole, is that a record?

Blubberboy - 3739 posts and still an Asshole, is that a record?

Not even remotely close............ :lol:

On Saturday 12th August 2000 Vinny Lauwers returned to Melbourne after seven months and two weeks at sea. It had taken seven years of preparation for Vinny to realise his incredible dream…To be the first disabled person to sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world.

PHB

Nope never heard. How come there was no press or notifications to the sailing world??

Power to him

Hey Argus mate my comments weren't aimed at you or boothy or any one else who has posted so far on this thread. I was referring to those turds like rich fry, liquid ring block, solosailer and others who were carrying on like fuckwits saying she is going to die, running a book on how long she would last and calling for her parents to be locked up.

And......

GO JESS!

You're crowing about floating around for 60 days aimlessly skirting weather and land :lol:

No wonder ASStralians settle for second best. Give the key's to the city for just trying.

Well noted your above is in RED = DANGER ;)

she hasn't even started yet. Save your prayers and accolades for when she does.. :(

:unsure:

PHB

Nope never heard. How come there was no press or notifications to the sailing world??

Power to him

Because he's not a media slut

Power to him

SA has been around for almost 10years and I do not remember hearing any Aussie mention him or his exploits. I know you guys are sailing fanatics so either he kept things very quiet or no one really cared until the end of his journey.

Power to him

SA has been around for almost 10years and I do not remember hearing any Aussie mention him or his exploits. I know you guys are sailing fanatics so either he kept things very quiet or no one really cared until the end of his journey.

I never heard of him either, which doesn't mean much since I have never heard of a lot of people. I would like to suggest that a Dawg Circumnavigation Challenge is a worthy cause for SAYC and perhaps some of the funds from the SAAC Peoples Challenge.

What about it gang? I'd pitch in a few bucks for a worthy cause like that!

Wow.

IF this story is indeed true and Lauwers did the sailaround as mentioned, huge salute to THE MAN. Not just for the accomplishment itself but for as the overused quote goes, "just doing it" without hordes of PR and selfproclamations of greatness.

Huge respect and admiration for every element of this achievement.

Wow.

IF this story is indeed true and Lauwers did the sailaround as mentioned, huge salute to THE MAN. Not just for the accomplishment itself but for as the overused quote goes, "just doing it" without hordes of PR and selfproclamations of greatness.

This man was a ledgend, we did the rig for him and I sailed against him when he did a shake down Melbourne to Osaka 2 handed.

He phoned us from deep in the southern ocean saying he had destranded an upper shroud and that he had a window of about 4 hrs to change it with sta-loks cause the breeze was going to get below 40 knts.

The tough bugger climbed up, cut the damaged section and replaced it and got back on the deck in time.

He practically wore is arse away in the trip but draged himself around the world.

True hero

Vinnies boat is now owned by a couple I know over in Westerport Vic. Doing it up again after it had been on the hard for several years.

Wow.

You can buy his movie here.

34848.jpg

Wow.

This man was a ledgend, we did the rig for him and I sailed against him when he did a shake down Melbourne to Osaka 2 handed.

He phoned us from deep in the southern ocean saying he had destranded an upper shroud and that he had a window of about 4 hrs to change it with sta-loks cause the breeze was going to get below 40 knts.

The tough bugger climbed up, cut the damaged section and replaced it and got back on the deck in time.

He practically wore is arse away in the trip but draged himself around the world.

True hero

I met Vinny in Aus he was an inspiration, well done Vinny.......... :)

Yeah,thanks a lot chopes,im going to work hard to erase that vision from my brain.

Steve.

Go for it Jessica!!! All the best and godspeed...

To all you buffoons who can't manage to express any encouragement for this brave sailor:

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

Its interesting reading 2 great sailing blogs at the moment.

Jess has a friendly 'chatty' theme to it and is the 2nd one I read every morning.

The 1st is Berrimilla.

Different tone and a great read.

Not sure Jess needs to consulte the Dr as much as the '2 old farts'

(Their words not mine)

Buckets of respect to both boats and what they have/are acheiving.

Great start to the day.

Jess has a friendly 'chatty' theme to it and is the 2nd one I read every morning.

The 1st is Berrimilla.

(Their words not mine)

Great start to the day.

Funny you should bring up "the old farts"but it seems to me they're sailing a very similar vintage boat.

Might be something in the saying "everything new is old",eh?

Go Girl.

she hasn't even started yet.

RingDorkSystem,

The only one who hasn't started yet is Abby "Give Me Some More Money For My Open 40" Sunderland. Sure, she probably will.

But so what? Jesse rocks. Abby prays.

GO JESSE!

The 1st is Berrimilla.

(Their words not mine)

Great start to the day.

+1 Leka

When they all hopefully arrive back safely I am sure it would be an interesting session if the two old farts and Jessica had a consultation with the good Dr Murphy.

Best wishes to the all and they keep clocking off the miles.

PHB

Power to him

Because he doesn't have a nice ass (in a 16-year old way). Yeah, she's got guts but also has mommy and daddy with money and connections. Let's give this kid some well-deserved credit but let's not make her a saint. Not that it's a deal-breaker but it can't be hurting a bit that Jessica has daily satellite remote feeds to and from home so she remains connected to her world and all that this entails.

And yes, I have (or had) girls and if they did something like this, they'd have to do it without my meager means to finance it, sponsors or not. They'd have to navigate solo, no double-checking with Mission Command back home, no seagoing Lojack, no help with her homework... It would be truly a solo voyage. That, I would say, takes guts.

So either way, it's in the jeans (or the genes).

Because he doesn't have a nice ass (in a 16-year old way). Yeah, she's got guts but also has mommy and daddy with money and connections. Let's give this kid some well-deserved credit but let's not make her a saint. Not that it's a deal-breaker but it can't be hurting a bit that Jessica has daily satellite remote feeds to and from home so she remains connected to her world and all that this entails.

And yes, I have (or had) girls and if they did something like this, they'd have to do it without my meager means to finance it, sponsors or not. They'd have to navigate solo, no double-checking with Mission Command back home, no seagoing Lojack, no help with her homework... It would be truly a solo voyage. That, I would say, takes guts.

So either way, it's in the jeans (or the genes).

I kind of agree, after Robin Lee Grahm (1965 s a teenager) the first real amateur, did it everyone else seems like they are doing it for headlines.

This Vinny guy though, having not heard a peep about him until his finish seems to be the real deal.

Old news but just a bit about Vinny when he finished his little sailing adventure

After eight months at sea, Vinny Lauwers is home.

A huge turnout is assured when solo sailor Vinny Lauwers arrives at the Royal Yacht Club of Victoria in Williamstown, Australia today, becoming the first paraplegic to circumnavigate the globe. Lauwers, who lost the use of his legs in an automobile accident in 1990, has held a passion for the sea from an early age, and by age 16, had sailed several ocean passages. Since becoming a paraplegic he has compiled an impressive sailing resume, sailing in two Sydney to Hobart races, several Australian ocean races, and undertaking 18 Bass strait crossings for a total of 42,000 nautical miles of blue-water experience.

The voyage has been made to promote awareness of the capabilities of people with disabilities, and to encourage disabled and disadvantaged kids to follow their dreams. Once shoreside, Lauwers will begin a business venture devoted to raising funds to help kids with disabilities.

Lauwer’s vehicle of choice for the circumnavigation has been the 47-foot Van de Stadt–designed Vision Quest, a boat he had built to the structural stage in 1995, and which he finished with the help of friends and family. He set off in December for the 21,600-mile non-stop journey around the world, with 11 months of food on board, just in case. Eight months later, he is making landfall.

The route held all the travails one associates with sailing around the world alone, and these were relayed to Internet viewers worldwide from the website http://www.parasail.com.au/index.htm. There was no shortage of material to write about, as heavy weather had the sailor running under bare poles with breaking waves on numerous occasions, one of which he likened to sailing in a whirlpool brought on by strong ocean currents around the Cape of Good Hope. The elements took a steady toll on the vessel and its equipment. The radar started smoking and gave up the ghost right out of port. The autopilot also proved cantankerous before it could be repaired. A spare compass was pressed into service as was a spare toilet seat. The wind generator disintegrated, rigging needed replacing, and for several weeks in the Indian Ocean, Lauwers was out of satellite phone coverage areas, making the solo endeavor a truly solitary one, save for dodging ships here and there. Steering problems also plagued the latter part of the voyage. Ironically light airs posed the biggest danger last week as Vision Quest came close to a grounding just off the coast of Australia. Despite the adversity, Lauwer’s determination, conviction, and vision in the ‘round-the-world sail will doubtlessly launch the seafaring dreams of many, serve as an inspiration for the disabled and able-bodied alike, and stand as a record that can never be broken.

Still a fan (see post #2) but boy that is starting to look like the "1,000 Yard Stare"....hope she's just tuckered, hey who wouldn't be. I wish her the very best of luck. GTJ!

Wondering what the Sailing Anarchy Christmas card to Jessica read?

Most of us wish you luck and good speed,

but some of us think you're too young.

Email if there's anything you need,

like, did you remember the bungs?

Ask us if you need any clues.

Let us know when you get back.

We'll say we were always behind you

and try and get you in the sack

Oops we missed the chance at Christmas

So now we'll say happy new year!

and dont try and climb the mast

after drinking all the beer

:rolleyes:

Can we please wait until she's 18 for the sexual innuendo? Even the link on the SA homepage mentioned "age of consent in the Southern Ocean". Even talking about it is just about as sick as child porn, joking or not. So cool it, guys.

Can we please wait until she's 18 for the sexual innuendo? Even the link on the SA homepage mentioned "age of consent in the Southern Ocean". Even talking about it is just about as sick as child porn, joking or not. So cool it, guys.

You've made what, two posts to this blog, and already you want to be the conscience of the board? Sorry, that won't work. There's no point asking that of a group who routinely makes humor of cute women of any age old enough to become a public figure... double entendre not intended. There is an interesting dialogue on this board regarding the age of consent in various nations and even in various states in the US alone.

This lass has even posed for pics that, if she was "of age", would be considered nice shots of a cutie and I can't dismiss her knowing that she's bought into that, just because she's 16. Like I told my 15-y.o. twins back then, "Don't put it in the window if it isn't available." (I worked in retail at the time.) Oh, and the age of consent in Texas is 17 while I know 30-year-olds who should not reproduce.

There's a large difference between what one says, or what one thinks, and what one does about either one. When 45-y.o. members here start standing in line hoping for a date, that's when I'll start worrying about their individual morals. Until then, it's just a bunch of anonymous posters saying stuff. Please don't let it cause distress. They're a good bunch here in reality.

-ted

Hmmm, well, getting hit by a tanker on your shake down cruise is, quite objectively, usually not a good omen.

Still, I certainly know that with the sailing experience that I had at 16 (limited to a couple of years of summer day sailing on Long Island Sound), attempting at that time what she is doing (regardless of what boat I had been given) would very likely not have turned out well at all.

Good luck girl.

Hey LB - no sweat mate. You're right about some of the tools that have been on here. You're respected around here even if your heckles are p*ss poor. Look forward to seeing you in 2010 and, as you say, go Jess.

Argus

The next possible attempt at this feat should be heading off soon.

Abby's father rang me about keel bolts on ex BTC Velocity, ex wild eyes and we exchanged pleasant talk. He suggested Abby was to leave today (well, Australian new years day)

Anyone heard from over that way if she is ready or not??

I too am impressed with Jessica Watson so far. I can't imagine having been able to do that at age 16 - I was barely out of dinghies and onto Hobie 14s. Now she's survived a real storm, but gives us very few details. Indeed the complete lack of details about the sailing itself is bothersome. I know it's an unfair comparison, but I daily follow several sailing blogs, and the two "old farts" on Berrimilla give far more entertaining and informative details about their sailing (currently heading from Cape Town to Australia - http://www.berrimilla2.blogspot.com/), but admittedly they have a combined ~100 years of experience on her. Anyway, she's got some more stormy weather in store before Cape Horn, probably at least three more - http://www.weather.com/activities/recreati...tandbeach/surf/ for a simple image of what's to come.

The next possible attempt at this feat should be heading off soon.

Abby's father rang me about keel bolts on ex BTC Velocity, ex wild eyes and we exchanged pleasant talk. He suggested Abby was to leave today (well, Australian new years day)

Anyone heard from over that way if she is ready or not??

Last I heard she's delayed the start of the trip until early January. With all kinds of last minute modifications to the boat and a narrowing weather window for the Horn, Abby still has yet to spend a single minute sailing her boat alone. Sending her out without an extensive shakedown run borders on insanity.

Why does every Jessica thread always have to get hijacked about Abby FFS ?

If youse want to discuss her then can she not have her own thread somewhere. or is it a Brady Bunch Movie style Ploy ? "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha, Marsha, Marsha hahaaha.

Ohh Jess is getting closer to that Horn .. maybe " Mr Hard On grumble bum above" can get us to make some age appropriate alternative to this risque South American milestone :D

I hate when discussions devolve into anarchy.

Oh wait...

I'll give her credit for what she has already accomplished, and I am impressed.

Hope she has some proactive plan for hoving to when the waves really start breaking heavily. This is a slow boat that doesn't want to surf, and running off in severe conditions will most likely result in a roll over.

Even the Pardey's got their little 30' engineless wooden boat around Cape Horn east to west enduring winds over 50 knotts. But they did it by sailing conservatively, and hoving to when neccessary.

Slow boats just go over the falls and roll over when they run off.

Abby Sunderland - Respect

One (with her brother Zac) of the "Sportsmen of the Year" for 2009... LMFAO! So says the LA Daily News (link).

Amazing...Sportsman of the Year...Sportsman of the Year without having actually left. It's kinda like 'A for effort' I guess?

One (with her brother Zac) of the "Sportsmen of the Year" for 2009... LMFAO! So says the LA Daily News (link).
Cruising is NOT a sport...... racing a sailboat is. Why is it these 'record' hounds of late never race? Maybe they would have to stack up against others and perform. Her brother getting a nod is one thing but she has not even left the dock or achieved anything.

He he he he... on the hard

Wondering what the Sailing Anarchy Christmas card to Jessica read?

\

sicko, and never raced yachts by the other post asking what PHS is

Sorry again; sick of me to use the C word on a sailing forum. That quote's a shocker ay! :o

While some question the safety of a young girl alone on the ocean, it seems to me the little lamb is quite wisely placed away from the wolves.

Good sailing to you Jes. I love hearing about someone doing well in the face of adversity, kick ass girl!!!

I'll respect her when she brings it home. Until then..I'm dubious.

Fair enough, but she's looking good after two months out. The next two months, however, will be more telling. I like how prudent she appears, and hope she kicks its ass.

Nice work, Jesse.

I'll respect her when she brings it home. Until then..I'm dubious.

Your a hard marker smackdaddy. I have a lot of respect for what she has done so far and even if she gets around the Horn and says "that's enough I'm out of here" and head to the Falklands, I will still have a lot of respect for her.

GO Jess GO... :D

1st of all, all of you arm chair sailors here, you wouldn't have the balls!! to take on 10% of what shes done, in the boat she has, already!

So you can all stfu!!!! stfu!!! stfu!!! :ph34r:

Secondly!!... it takes an "Australian" :P women / teenager to have more guts to do this, than any, over mall attended, shopaholic, TV saturated, reality show yank, to do the same thing. :ph34r:

So until a "real yank sailor" gets out there and puts their ability where their mouth is, you should all be supporting this young Australian woman's attempt at setting a new record, 100%. :angry:

And if you have never sailed for more than 2 to 5 days minimum, solo, non-stop!!! then your opinion is worthless, ignorant, and has no importance here, and guess what??,,,, a 16 year old, Australian "female" teenager has more sailing experience, then you will at 30...40..50..or what ever age you are! No mater how many "day sails" you have been on, on San fran bay!!!........

So go back to your west marine catalog, and look for new stuff/toys/trinkets/gadgets and or clothes and boat-shoes, to try too impress your non-sailing friends that come to your "forever tied up in the marina boat", for drinky-poos!!! at sunset, at the dock, cause you never untie the dam lines and go anywhere.....

you bunch of losers!!!!!

Try really sailing!!!!! she is!!! and shes doing fine.......

GO Ausi Go!!!!

I too am impressed with Jessica Watson so far. I can't imagine having been able to do that at age 16 - I was barely out of dinghies and onto Hobie 14s. Now she's survived a real storm, but gives us very few details. Indeed the complete lack of details about the sailing itself is bothersome. I know it's an unfair comparison, but I daily follow several sailing blogs, and the two "old farts" on Berrimilla give far more entertaining and informative details about their sailing (currently heading from Cape Town to Australia - http://www.berrimilla2.blogspot.com/), but admittedly they have a combined ~100 years of experience on her. Anyway, she's got some more stormy weather in store before Cape Horn, probably at least three more - http://www.weather.com/activities/recreati...tandbeach/surf/ for a simple image of what's to come.

Agreed.

I would like to hear more from Jessica on lat/long, SOG, wind speed and direction.

As for the other 2 old farts in a windy bus shelter behind the SCG, you know they have a bit on when Alex says:

Bloody hell - still some big waves - often happens as a storm is abating.

If 1 x boat unit = 630nm, then I wonder what the height of a 'big' wave is????? :o

GO Jess GO... :D

1st of all, all of you arm chair sailors here, you wouldn't have the balls!! to take on 10% of what shes done, in the boat she has, already!

So you can all stfu!!!! stfu!!! stfu!!! :ph34r:

Secondly!!... it takes an "Australian" :P women / teenager to have more guts to do this, than any, over mall attended, shopaholic, TV saturated, reality show yank, to do the same thing. :ph34r:

So until a "real yank sailor" gets out there and puts their ability where their mouth is, you should all be supporting this young Australian woman's attempt at setting a new record, 100%. :angry:

And if you have never sailed for more than 2 to 5 days minimum, solo, non-stop!!! then your opinion is worthless, ignorant, and has no importance here, and guess what??,,,, a 16 year old, Australian "female" teenager has more sailing experience, then you will at 30...40..50..or what ever age you are! No mater how many "day sails" you have been on, on San fran bay!!!........

So go back to your west marine catalog, and look for new stuff/toys/trinkets/gadgets and or clothes and boat-shoes, to try too impress your non-sailing friends that come to your "forever tied up in the marina boat", for drinky-poos!!! at sunset, at the dock, cause you never untie the dam lines and go anywhere.....

you bunch of losers!!!!!

Try really sailing!!!!! she is!!! and shes doing fine.......

GO Ausi Go!!!!

Great Post!

From Jessica's latest blog:

>>thanks so much for all the messages of support. Whenever I sit down to down to read them, I normally laugh and smile the whole way through! Oh, and I just love the way you guys all keep yourselves entertained chatting in my absence!<<

Kind of makes you wonder if she's reading this thread on SA! Notice how she says she NORMALLY smiles.

Unless she has better things to do than read comments from a bunch of sailors suffering from cabin fever.

And......

GO JESS!

You're crowing about floating around for 60 days aimlessly skirting weather and land :lol:

No wonder ASStralians settle for second best. Give the key's to the city for just trying.

Well noted your above is in RED = DANGER ;)

she hasn't even started yet. Save your prayers and accolades for when she does.. :(

:unsure:

Graham, the world would be a better place if only your farther had pulled out. But I am sure neither you nor your mother has any idea who he is.

Stick to sailing your flying fifteen, dickbreath.

Her fan base is growing quickly - 653 comments after the other day's blog, those are some pretty big numbers, and likely translate to tens of thousands of folks watching her progress. Good for the sponsors and a positive sign for future 'youngest around' attempts (like 'em or not).

Does anyone have a handy link to the weather approaching the Cape like Born2Sail did with the Cheese Scow?

Ya - check out www.passageweather.com

There's a big blow (45+) coming through on the 13th. Could clobber both Jess and Dilip Donde pretty hard.

They may manage to just stay ahead of the beast, and it is forecast to die out as it approaches the cape

Does anyone have a handy link to the weather approaching the Cape like Born2Sail did with the Cheese Scow?

PassageWeather is probably as easy to understand as any...linky

Depends when she gets there, it could be time to get out the oars and row...

000.png

Her fan base is growing quickly - 653 comments after the other day's blog, those are some pretty big numbers, and likely translate to tens of thousands of folks watching her progress. Good for the sponsors and a positive sign for future 'youngest around' attempts (like 'em or not).

Meanwhile, Abby Sunderland is taking inspiration from Stephen Mann's recent voyage around the world via the Southern Ocean. Only problem is that Mann didn't do it solo (he had one crew, undoubtedly a very big advantage compared to managing a boat solo in Southern Ocean storms), and it wasn't a solo voyage: he made 10 (planned) stops along the way. (see link above)

A whole lot different from the "solo unassisted" plans that Sunderland apparently has. One wonders if she has a clear idea what the high Southern latitudes hold in store for her and her as yet largely untested (by her) Open 40.

A boat that, by the way, is most definitely not "a lot like" Mann's medium-displacement cruising type boat, as Sunderland optimistically claims in her blog today. Well, she hedges, they're alike "on the outside at least". Whatever that means!

It's naive-sounding comments like this that has inquiring minds wondering if she knows just what she's getting involved in...I find the contrast to the extremely able and articulate Jessica Watson very striking, almost scarily so. I'm finding Watson's blog postings about her voyage, and especially leading up to her imminent Horn rounding, to be insightful and very interesting, honest and heartfelt even. I doubt Abby, if she makes it that far, will have the same appeal...she just doesn't seem to "get it" as well as Watson, and comes across as a real naif in this video tour of her Open 40. I think Watson has a certain honest star quality which has captured peoples' hearts, sailors and non-sailors alike, judging by the hundreds of comments her daily blog postings receive.

Perhaps Sunderland will make it around, and she may well, but Watson has grabbed my cheering heart and attention. Watson has that certain "something" that makes her a leader, which Sunderland appears to lack, regardless of who gets the fucking meaningless youngest solo around unassisted record.

Meanwhile, Abby Sunderland is taking inspiration from Stephen Mann's recent voyage around the world via the Southern Ocean. Only problem is that Mann didn't do it solo (he had one crew, undoubtedly a very big advantage compared to managing a boat solo in Southern Ocean storms), and it wasn't a solo voyage: he made 10 (planned) stops along the way. (see link above)

A whole lot different from the "solo unassisted" plans that Sunderland apparently has. One wonders if she has a clear idea what the high Southern latitudes hold in store for her and her as yet largely untested (by her) Open 40.

A boat that, by the way, is most definitely not "a lot like" Mann's medium-displacement cruising type boat, as Sunderland optimistically claims in her blog today. Well, she hedges, they're alike "on the outside at least". Whatever that means!

It's naive-sounding comments like this that has inquiring minds wondering if she knows just what she's getting involved in...I find the contrast to the extremely able and articulate Jessica Watson very striking, almost scarily so. I'm finding Watson's blog postings about her voyage, and especially leading up to her imminent Horn rounding, to be insightful and very interesting, honest and heartfelt even. I doubt Abby, if she makes it that far, will have the same appeal...she just doesn't seem to "get it" as well as Watson, and comes across as a real naif in this video tour of her Open 40. I think Watson has a certain honest star quality which has captured peoples' hearts, sailors and non-sailors alike, judging by the hundreds of comments her daily blog postings receive.

Perhaps Sunderland will make it around, and she may well, but Watson has grabbed my cheering heart and attention. Watson has that certain "something" that makes her a leader, which Sunderland appears to lack, regardless of who gets the fucking meaningless youngest solo around unassisted record.

your gay ;)

admit and set your self free, granddaddy :lol:

It looks like our young heroine might have a tough time going around the horn. Good luck to her and fuck off RLS.

084.png

096.png

It looks like our young heroine might have a tough time going around the horn. Good luck to her and fuck off RLS.

084.png

096.png

That will be long gone, she is in for a dream drift around

I meant it only as I am not the best at installing watermakers, auto pilots and running complex wiring... and packing for this trip is something that does need to be done carefully.
Oh my.

Steven is really an amazing guy, of course he's an adult so he didn't get a load a criticism about his trip but he's one of those people that definitely has his head on straight.
Abby doesn't get it..... Steve didn't get criticism about his trip because of his vast experience, especially singlehanding. He was a professional rigger, did a lot of coastal singlehanding, did a Singlehanded Transpac, went off to the South Pacific, etc., installed EVERYTHING on his boat and THEN did his round the world trip, doublehanded mind you.

I watched Abby sail out of MDR yesterday, and I got a really, really bad feeling about this.

Her team couldn't even get the main up through the lazy jacks without alot of difficulty. Beginner 101 full batten main handling.

She can't even reach the head of the main to attach the main halyard without serious climbing at the base of the mast.

Abby looks like a dwarf on this powerful open 40, and it really started to set in on me how inappropriate and dangerous this boat choice is for her.

I've thought this stunt was stupid and reckless from the beginning, but it really made me sick to be there and see it in person.

In this down boat economy, I suspect the "boat builder" father is trying to support the family of 7 (one more on the way) with income from this stunt. Pathetic.

It's a long way down the coast before the horn with many places to bail out. I hope she has practiced with her survival suit and life raft, although I doubt it.

There just isn't any mention of any real training or prep on Abby's site like on Jessica's. Advanced first aid, no. Life raft procedure.....no. My wife who is a nurse says Abby's stunt is like learning brain surgery with the head already cracked open.

I really wish Abby the best, but it sure would be sad for her to lose her young life to this non-sense. I would really hate to see that. Will all the ignorant "cheer leaders" "go Abby go", attend the funeral in MDR?

Also Abby should also have been talking with Kathleen who sailed with Stephen Mann. I have spoken with her personally, and she basically said it was a miserable nightmare.

Watching Abby motor out of MDR at 2 knotts for her sunset photo shoot, I could only think one thing. JFC.......