Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

malvarrosa

Valencia in motion - House of the America's Cup 2010

Cloudy but not raining this morning I am posting here some update on both teams activity.

It seems the hour of truth arrived, and to start, see the Vava (EB's private yacht) just mooring in the megayachts dock at the darsena ...

I would like to see the Rising Sun (LE's one) as well in Valencia waters like in 2007, or even docked by DoGpound although it is not a very glamourous place.

post-40889-1262694601_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262694623_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262694644_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262694657_thumb.jpg

A5 hull is now landed by Cassandra B. Mast under unloading . It seems she is going to be barged and/or towed to the darsena base where this morning activitity was frantics ... carnes and more cranes (see in next posts)

post-40889-1262695097_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262695118_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262695147_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile the DoGpound looks finished and with DZ under cover ...

Trimaran's magnificent black and white painted hull has been unwrapped, and remains well protected and gleaming under the 40X40 meters tent (right side of the pic).

Wingsail is under the biggest tent (75 meters lenght) on the left side, and only one wrapped mast rmains outdoors on the floor.

Allow me a personal statement: she is heart touching. It's a thrilling gift ...

(this evening in Spain is the arrival of Three Wise Men - Los Reyes Magos -) and all the our good and wise children will be receiving their gifts (as in Santa's night yours)

post-40889-1262695903_thumb.jpg

Let's go now to BOR base in the darsena. Water front is cleared and compound has been extended to Luna Rossa and Shosholoza former bases) See the two X40 cats afloat in front of Shosho

post-40889-1262696449_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262696467_thumb.jpg

It seems the hour of truth arrived, and to start, see the Vava (EB's private yacht) just mooring ...

Had you posted this on Dec 28 (Dia de los Inocentes, Spain's equivalent of April 1st), you could have confirmed that Ernesto was going to take advantage of Defender not having to be propelled by sails alone .. :lol:

MB thanks heaps for your updates and great photos

Cranes and more cranes at Alinghi's base.

Handling room in the darsena bases are not enough as for the IACC yachts on AC32 used to be (easy to operate with plain travelifts)

This time is going to be the mother of all wars, and get the zillas ready to fight is an outstanding operation. How lucky we are!!

post-40889-1262697292_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262697310_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262697326_thumb.jpg

Alinghi's dismantled super crane waiting on trucks to be carried to the base.

Veles e Vents -(Sails and Winds)- building at the bottom is having a special makeup by Rita (always elegant)

post-40889-1262697667_thumb.jpg

MB - Great pics again! Thanks for your efforts! :blink:

+100 MB is our man on the scene! Way to go!

Trimaran's magnificent black and white painted hull has been unwrapped, and remains well protected and gleaming under the 40X40 meters tent (right side of the pic).

Wingsail is under the biggest tent (75 meters lenght) on the left side, and only one wrapped mast rmains outdoors on the floor.

(this evening in Spain is the arrival of Three Wise Men - Los Reyes Magos -) and all the our good and wise children will be receiving their gifts (as in Santa's night yours)

Malvarrosa, did you actually see the black and white hulls from under wrap? There was some speculation that she was getting a new paint job under the tents in San Diego before she left.

This is spectacular coverage you are providing! Thanks a ton!

Malvarrosa, did you actually see the black and white hulls from under wrap? There was some speculation that she was getting a new paint job under the tents in San Diego before she left.

This is spectacular coverage you are providing! Thanks a ton!

Gleaming Black & White, 100% granted...

Excellent work, excellent.

You are definitly holding-up to the standards we got spoiled to in SD.

Thanks very much. ;)

Meanwhile Rising Sun is today in the Caribbean, 3.500 nm away from Valencia still on time to get the race course as in AC32.

Will she come around? I would like to play basketball with Larry at the sterndeck

post-40889-1262706251_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262706668_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile Rising Sun is today in the Caribbean, 3.500 nm away from Valencia still on time to get the race course as in AC32.

Will she come around? I would like to play basketball with Larry at the sterndeck

Lets park the Rising Sun in the Darsena so as to fullfill the NOR requirement

Lets park the Rising Sun in the Darsena so as to fullfill the NOR requirement

Yeah, didn't say the 'yachts' had to be parked in the Darsena?

The race boats can then stay where they need to.

MB, you ever come to NYC, I'm buying............thanks

Thanks a million, MB!

Boy, did these programs land in a big way. Huuge footprints!

The size of the cranes (!!!) and the docks, in the commercial harbor, and at the BOR harbor boatyard, and at the Alinghi base, and at the BOR base; the massive amount of infrastructure in concrete, the wide streets, purpose-built AC base buildings; for visitors the wide choice of hotels, a Valencia metro line running directly to the AC Village.... It's all quite jaw-dropping. Looking at today's arrival photographs, it is like wow all over again, like deja vu but all the more impressive for the big sudden impact this time.

Whoever is still trying to compare Valencia to RAK's dusty little island can just go flick-off now! Lol

Well more thrill this evening in Valencia. Stay tuned for a while and I will post a new harvest at Alinghi darsena's base

Here first the A5 mast!!!

post-40889-1262714507_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262714557_thumb.jpg

Handling room in the darsena bases are not enough as for the IACC yachts on AC32 used to be (easy to operate with plain travelifts)

This time is going to be the mother of all wars, and get the zillas ready to fight is an outstanding operation. How lucky we are!!

Its actually funny to see how congested the Alinghi base in the Darsena looks already with all the cranes in that small space.

BMO on the other hand must be loving their location, especially compared to their SD base which was very cramped.

A5 in the Valencian waters for the first time in her life !!!

Just arrived to the darsena alongsided with two Alinghi ribs. Historical moment, don't you think so?

post-40889-1262715066_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262715097_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262715112_thumb.jpg

This is great stuff VB. Thanks again.

Right now they are starting to lift the mast, I am not ther beacuse it was raining. I post this last one and I hit the road to the darsena. Will try to catch something else

post-40889-1262715409_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262715430_thumb.jpg

I missed the first mast lifting but I had a second chance ... second truck with another mast arrived under the rain

Here you have night pics (I am not a good photographer, excuse me for that)

post-40889-1262722299_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262722332_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262722356_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262722375_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262722406_thumb.jpg

I missed the first mast lifting but I had a second chance ... second truck with another mast arrived under the rain

Muy bueno, MB. No te excuses, que esto es muy de agradecer!

Once again, the pictures are fantastic and you are a fine photographer. Thanks for the onsite info!!! :blink:

Muchisimas Gracias MB tanto para todos sus trabajos fotográficos y el tiempo dedicado gran capturar estos momentos históricos. Sus fotos y su contribución están empezando a competir con el gran contenido que Philippe Chaplin nos envió desde Suiza!

Oh.........................you're just terrible. :o

But keep-up the practice! ;)

Somehow we'll manage.......................................................

It's been a thrillig day in Valencia (Commercial Port and Port America's Cup).

Time to rest has come, but before going to sleep I would summarize as the hour of truth.

Both zillas are now in the corral and for the first time the have been very close each other. CZ in the water towed by DoGpound only 600 meters far from DZ ...

Guess how many LUCKY people in the world have been able to actually see, and almost touch the two DoG fighters same day, same city, and within a period a 2 hours only ... I know ONE.

Historical moment, prelude of many others from now on. I can't wait to see them rigged and sailing ...

Let's see what happens tomorrow.

I hope no more surprises, I trust the Defender will be A5 and the Challenger USA

Time to rest has come, but before going to sleep I would summarize as the hour of truth.

Both zillas are now in the corral and for the first time the have been very close each other. CZ in the water towed by DoGpound only 600 meters far from DZ ...

Guess how many LUCKY people in the world have been able to actually see, and almost touch the two DoG fighters same day, same city, and within a period a 2 hours only ... I know ONE.

Historical moment, prelude of many others from now on. I can't wait to see them rigged and sailing ...

I hope no more surprises, I trust the Defender will be A5 and the Challenger USA

Malvy: MUY bien hecho y te lo agradecemos mucho! La perspectiva de estar alli nos da todos mucho animo. Si jamas nos conocimos algun dia, te invito yo.

Buenas.

Nice work, MB.

Now, do you have access to a really fast boat?

Once again MB thanks, and do you have some local info related to TV coverage

In case Alinghi fail to make it, is it posible to organise a live streem, and how much $ will take to found it

MB

Just too brilliant, well done. Keep it up.

A comment regarding my personal war on the trolls, I am always amazed that in a truly good thread like this there is not a sign of them and yet in the bullshit threads they are like a rash you cannot get rid of.

My personal view is that they do not even like the AC or these magnificent boats and just are objectionable people.

Translation of a local article, Las Provincias

Clash of the Titans

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...=auto&tl=en

god I love Google translations! I love the paragraph in this article headed "Giant Carp"... but I was disappointed, because they never mentioned any fish...

Skipped through a translated Italian one today, the title was "America's Cup: The Soup Opera" - maybe that's where the giant carp come in.

By a good Spanish AC writer, Jaume Soler

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...0%26tbs%3Dqdr:d

excerpt

The Copa America has been from its inception an art exhibit marked by a dose of mystery and secrecy about designs and developments of the boats.

Pero en esta ocasión supera todos los límites de lo imaginable. But this time exceeds all bounds of imagination.

Tecnología jamás vista: ninguno de los dos equipos sabe dónde está el límite del otro, dentro de una 'carrera de armamento' en la que entre ambos equipos han gastado unos 300 millones de euros. Technology never seen none of the teams know where the edge of another within an 'arms race' in which the two teams have spent about 300 million euros.

En esta ocasión se ha ido a los extremos máximos, barcos de dimensiones de 90x90, auténticos "monstruos" con velocidades de vértigo que tendrán que demostrar de lo que son capaces en tan sólo tres regatas que se celebrarán, si las condiciones meteorológicas lo permiten, los días 8, 10 y 12 de febrero en aguas de Valencia. This time he has gone to the extreme highs, 90x90 size boats, real "monsters" with blazing speeds that will have to demonstrate what they can in just three races to be held, if weather conditions permit, on 8, 10 and 12 February in waters off Valencia.

There are some unique photos of the A5 unloading at here

http://www.photoshelter.com/gallery/Alingh...000PgF69KY5X98/

This photo among others is labeled 'Alinghi's chandlery' - do we know where that tent is? In the darsena somewhere, but I don't see the Alinghi base right by it.

http://www.photoshelter.com/gallery-img-sh...0000KCjLcxazVlI

This one is curious too, what is that? edit, must be the foil exit - just surprised you can't also see the x-beam in view

http://www.photoshelter.com/gallery-img-sh...0000fmryX8lSi4E

post-41620-1262754546_thumb.jpg

Very Exciting MB. Your photos and commentary are much appreciated. Your Passion shines through!

This photo among others is labeled 'Alinghi's chandlery' - do we know where that tent is? In the darsena somewhere, but I don't see the Alinghi base right by it.

This one is curious too, what is that? edit, must be the foil exit - just surprised you can't also see the x-beam in view

Could it be a water ballast intake or exit?

Could it be a water ballast intake or exit?

It has a classic foil cross section visible. But there's a (small) chance that this is actually forward of the foils that we do know about.

Could be just the view angle. Anyone?

Awesome A5-photos!

THX to all photographers!

Any chance to get similar ones from DZ/BOR?

Or do they prefer to stay hidden in their private comercial harbour area?

Translation of a local article, Las Provincias

Clash of the Titans

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...=auto&tl=en

god I love Google translations! I love the paragraph in this article headed "Giant Carp"... but I was disappointed, because they never mentioned any fish...

:lol: Carpa in Spanish has two meanings: Carpa/tent/tienda and Carpa/fish/pez de agua dulce

Google will improve translations, no wonder

Here it is . Alinghi chandlery at the bottom of North breakwaters. I will check today ...

post-40889-1262770230_thumb.jpg

This is not the traditional towing operation as in the past AC32 with the IACC yachts ... even for a soft sail rig entering the darsena canal

post-40889-1262774670_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262774687_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262774705_thumb.jpg

Today is Día de Reyes in Spain (Tree Wise Men - The Epiphany) Holiday, no work, unless for the AC DoG teams.

I have family engagements with our children, but enogh free time to get soime pics in the morning

A5 is on dry under the tent. New Alimghi tent "chandlery" is at the PAC entrance, with BOR DoGpound south at the horizon ...

post-40889-1262796435_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262796481_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262796557_thumb.jpg

This is not the traditional towing operation as in the past AC32 with the IACC yachts ... even for a soft sail rig entering the darsena canal

Those images give a GREAT view of "Grand Central" - and I'm not convinced from that view that it has less drag than DZ's central hull.

Today is Día de Reyes in Spain (Tree Wise Men - The Epiphany) Holiday, no work, unless for the AC DoG teams.

I have family engagements with our children, but enogh free time to get soime pics in the morning

A5 is on dry under the tent. New Alimghi tent "chandlery" is at the PAC entrance, with BOR DoGpound south at the horizon ...

Looks like when the wing is up, it will be very visible from the Darcena.

Those images give a GREAT view of "Grand Central" - and I'm not convinced from that view that it has less drag than DZ's central hull.

It looks to me the the foward dolfin striker has less than 1/3 M above the static W/L.... in ANY SEA STATE their FUKED.....

Understatement of the week!

In San Diego you could see it easily from 3 miles away. It's 200 feet tall. That's like a 20 story building. It is veritable architecture!

You may bet ... 100% garnted

It looks to me the the foward dolfin striker has less than 1/3 M above the static W/L.... in ANY SEA STATE their FUKED.....

To add to MB's great pics and enthusiasm, there are a bunch more good new shots for seeing the under-structure at Alinghi here

Why? What will happen if it touches the water?

It is probably designed to go under if needed.

Looking at the new pictures, A5 does not look as fragile as it is usually described. Tensile structures are very resistant: think of short mast upside-down.

Looking at the new pictures, A5 does not look as fragile as it is usually described. Tensile structures are very resistant: think of short mast upside-down.

Not fragile at all, it looks VERY strong. What we like to toss around is what drag problems that solution might incur, what the possible drag penalty is.

In water, it seems obvious that

- when towing they do drag it at times, certainly in Valencia that will be true.

- when sailing, they ~better~ be up on a hull - which is obviously the plan at all times anyway. In waves and swell, maybe they will have to be a long way up.

In air, at 40 knots, it's a lot more complex.

Either way, the back-drag force will be minuscule by comparison to the forces it is built to take, which are obviously ~very large~.

Look carefully - there is slack in the guy wire between the main Grand Central strut and the fwd Dolphin striker. So when he actual mast is installed and the forestay tensioned, I suspect that you probably will see 1/2 meter clearance.

And yes, its not fragile, just lots of drag.

Huge off-axis loads, out of the Tensigrity design planes. You cannot model the wave effect on the structure, too many variables. If it was'nt an issue why the 1M wave limit?

They KNOW it is an issue..

As far as flying a hull to keep it clear, just how long can Ernie keep it up on a 20mi beat? How many tacks will he be forced to do?

What I love in MBs shots are all the left over IACC boats shrink wrapped and left out on a dock. I think I have seen 3 so far. A bit sad and a vision of what could have been but I suppose its better than seeing the Chinese one chopped up with a chainsaw.

You know, it was a formidable task for anyone to take-on covering the DoG boats after what we were spoiled on by the cam in SD, Woody, Squid, SR, MF, etc, etc. along with photos, insider info, BOR postings by TE, etc.

MB has done splendidly in bringing on all he can within the constraints of not having a 'pass' to get closer. We need to work on that for him. He is getting down there and 'gettin' 'er done' with what he has available.

Now...................need a web-cam that can do justice to the big multi-hulls that are preparing for battle.........................

What a pleasure to read about and SEE what's happening now, without the pollution of the trolls.

SA AC is fun again! :rolleyes:

Thanks to all of the contributors.

Looks like a Hang Glider. :lol:

20 knots North wind cold and rain today at Port America's Cup,

Alinghi's super crane used to handle two masts is now being dismantled by another brother

Good business for "Gruas Bonet"

Former ACM Regatta Operations compound start to put ribs on water (lazily)

post-40889-1262861568_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262861685_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262861756_thumb.jpg

BOR DoGpound under the rain today. All tents locked and a lot of activity under the carpas

Alinghi's agenda looks similar, constricted by the weather conditions ...

post-40889-1262862646_thumb.jpg

post-40889-1262862690_thumb.jpg

MB

Great work again as we have come to expect.

In the last picture what are the catamarans on the dock? Are they ACM or something completely seperate?

Cheers

MB

In the last picture what are the catamarans on the dock? Are they ACM or something completely seperate?

Cheers

These are part of the AC32, ACM regatta operations fleet, which included catamarans for the Race Committee (flybridged), catamarans open for buoying marks, and course marshalls (spectators boats traffic sheriff) catamarans. Most of them were auctioned in 2007.

This time ACM apparently is not organizing the race-(EB seems to be sulky)- . Defender's money is spent ONLY in the neccessities of Alinghi team, handling granes and cargo ships.

Look at the IJ, nominated but not hired yet ... 31 days left ... tick tock tick tock

It's really exasperating

MB

Cheers

These are part of the AC32, ACM regatta operations fleet, which included catamarans for the Race Committee (flybridged), catamarans open for buoying marks, and course marshalls (spectators boats traffic sheriff) catamarans. Most of them were auctioned in 2007.

This time ACM apparently is not organizing the race-(EB seems to be sulky)- . Defender's money is spent ONLY in the neccessities of Alinghi team, handling granes and cargo ships.

Look at the IJ, nominated but not hired yet ... 31 days left ... tick tock tick tock

It's really exasperating

The cat on the water and the 4 or 5 on the dock, are they still ACM (Alinghi) owned?

If they were auctioned off then it seems they would not be there together. Nice fleet, I bet they do get used for the same purposes again, if they are still ACM. I'm not sure that there is any distinction between ACM and Alinghi left any more.. it basically got "folded in" as someone put it in a BYM interview.

edit: and the tent next to them, who's tent is that? Is it new?

MB

Cheers

It's really exasperating

The cat on the water and the 4 or 5 on the dock, are they still ACM (Alinghi) owned?

If they were auctioned off then it seems they would not be there together. Nice fleet, I bet they do get used for the same purposes again, if they are still ACM. I'm not sure that there is any distinction between ACM and Alinghi left any more.. it basically got "folded in" as someone put it in a BYM interview.

edit: and the tent next to them, who's tent is that? Is it new?

I am not sure they all were sold out. Difficult to sell buoying cats, (who might be interested?) very nice toys to use in a weekend local club nautico amateur regatta ... These must be still owned by ACM.

Regarding Alinghi / ACM ... Geez, I was thinking the same, ... look a this pic from this afternoon, handling office stationery at the entrance of former ACM offices, next to Alinghi patio ... the guy at the door with Alinghi jacket ;)

These must be still owned by ACM.

Regarding Alinghi / ACM ... Geez, I was thinking the same, ... look a this pic from this afternoon, handling office stationery at the entrance of former ACM offices, next to Alinghi patio ... the guy at the door with Alinghi jacket ;)

That is good!

Can you please point on your map where these boats and the ACM tent are?

These must be still owned by ACM.

That is good!

Can you please point on your map where these boats and the ACM tent are?

The tent is not new, it has been always there since 2006.

Old picture in Google Earth doesn't show the new turning bridge for the F1 Valencia Street Circuit

post-40889-1262877848_thumb.jpg

This pic!!

Swiss number plate as well on the van... Do you think they are bringing their stationary from Cheesyland ?

Old picture in Google Earth doesn't show the new turning bridge for the F1 Valencia Street Circuit

Yes, had noticed that - so picture must be at least two years old. Will the (local son) Calatrava bridge provide a shortcut between the two bases?

About your "(frayed) flags" picture, I was relieved to see the Spanish one flying alongside the Generalitat's. I mean in Barcelona there's this acute stressing of the Catalonian identity: no doubt historically justified (we've all read Orwell's Homage), it's a bit perplexing to an outsider.