Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrpytlak

J80 Worlds in Newport

I'm pretty much begging my old owner in Annapolis to take me on. We're fatties, so we'd have to be 3 up. So, who's in?

ooooh! J80s look so fun! I've been dying to try one out.

I won't know my school schedule for a while but chances are I would only be able to make two or three days. But if anyone needs crew for a day or two, let me know!

Also available for the Sail Newport Regatta in July (iffy on Friday but I can work on it once I know my summer schedule).

142-147lbs, 6' female fordeckie (but can trim spin if I'm forced off the bow :D ). Racing experience on Olson 30 and Flying Tiger 10M. You've probably seen me in DaWoody pics.

I can drink like a fish if required.

Based out of Rhode Island (I'm about ten-fifteen minutes north of Newport).

SO what's with the dates...same time as the Annapolis Sailboat Show??? Guess that eliminates any of us trying to make a living at the sailboat business being at the event...

Not like the sailboat show changes it's dates..ALWAYS Thursday to Monday in October with Monday being Columbus day. I thought this class was pro friendly??

Mikie

That is stupid was thinking about doing the event. Boatshow is more important

SO what's with the dates...same time as the Annapolis Sailboat Show??? Guess that eliminates any of us trying to make a living at the sailboat business being at the event...

Not like the sailboat show changes it's dates..ALWAYS Thursday to Monday in October with Monday being Columbus day. I thought this class was pro friendly??

Mikie

Already got word that Scotty Nix will be on a boat. I'd assume Klinger will be there. It all depends on where the "pros" priorities are.

Why is the event in the fall/winter ? I don't understand the logic.

BTW is anyone a Wiki member ? The J80 page has dates of the Worlds mixed up between La Trinite and Kiel

BTW is anyone a Wiki member ? The J80 page has dates of the Worlds mixed up between La Trinite and Kiel

From what I hear from the Nappy 80 guys is they were looking for fall wind in Newport. Sounds cold to me, but they have heat in the IYAC.

Columbus Day in October is far from winter on the southcoast of New England. The water is still very warm and the breeze is up. Great sailing conditions.

I lived in NY for 3 years - the trees are pretty in October but I recall the weather being pretty variable - as you say perhaps that's the point.

I lived in NY for 3 years - the trees are pretty in October but I recall the weather being pretty variable - as you say perhaps that's the point.

The real sailing around here is almost always in the fall--summer events lack sufficient breeze. Sept/Oct are the months when you can count on better wind.

Nice J/80 just popped up on the classifieds for $22,500 - would be a great option for anyone on a budget that wants to join the fray. The keel tabbing was re-done and it has UK/North class sails. Take a look.

Saw that! If only I had a real job......

Nice J/80 just popped up on the classifieds for $22,500 - would be a great option for anyone on a budget that wants to join the fray. The keel tabbing was re-done and it has UK/North class sails. Take a look.

Don't forget to mention that you're the one that listed it ok?

Oh wait...

You already did...