Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Clark

Fred is in SO much trouble

can you get some good film of two cats match racing tight

I think that can be arranged.

Swedish Scuba Chicks would "blow" our budget.

We no longer have a big problem.

Yesterday's inkblot

post-738-128102249886_thumb.jpg

Breeze 12-15.

SHC

Steve,

Any reason why the speeds and VMG are higher and better angles on Starboard, rather than Port tack. There seems to be a considerably difference. Was this tide or current effect?

Amazingly impressive numbers for a mono-hull sailor. Looking forward to the big event.

TR

Swedish Scuba Chicks would "blow" our budget.

We no longer have a big problem.

Yesterday's inkblot

post-738-128102249886_thumb.jpg

Breeze 12-15.

SHC

Was doubting the value of this place until I ran into this thread.

Really useful information here and those are some impressive numbers/angles that boat can sail.

Is that still with the old wing?

My undrstanding of that test is that it is with Cogito's wing. We are still waiting to see the new wing for Aethon.

My undrstanding of that test is that it is with Cogito's wing. We are still waiting to see the new wing for Aethon.

Maybe it's the new one, Steve posted he had no more big problems. Guess he doesn't want to lay the cards on the table yet might have a break through.

Is there any word on what changes the new wing brings?

Never paid this much attention but after seeing BMWO, then this, then the Moth, it gets one wondering if its realistic we see them on cruising boats.

Not to hijack this awesome thread, but you jest about the cruising part.....right?

Not to hijack this awesome thread, but you jest about the cruising part.....right?

Not really, look up Harbor Wings. Now lets get this thread back on track. 10 days and counting till the British arrive. 16 days until the I4C/LAC.

Speeds are warped because of the bit of water we were sailing on and the direction of the breeze. Don't interpret too much from he ink blot. It isn't a real polar because it does not correct for shifts in the wind. It simply tells you what directions you went and the speed you went, you should not infer tacking or gybing angles from this data. Even if there is a VMG line, it really is meaningless without a true wind solution.

This is with the old wing. Not that that is a bad thing, Wings don't blow out like sails, so the boat isn't being handicapped much if at all by the "old" kit.

We are racing to complete the new wing.

It looks more different than it is, which isn't to say that there are significant changes from the Cogito wing, both in the aerodynamic and the controls. Some of these changes have been problematic and have put us behind schedule. Don't expect a thing of beauty, because we probably won't have time to do much in the way of finish painting.

We may have to go graffiti...

SHC

Don't expect a thing of beauty, because we probably won't have time to do much in the way of finish painting.

SHC

Like you told me, All you need is 545. The rest is weight.

I really wish I could be up there for this. What kind of RV accommodations are there close to the race area? How big of a boat if any,wouldyou need to watch?

Good luck Steve.

Don't expect a thing of beauty, because we probably won't have time to do much in the way of finish painting.

SHC

I really wish I could be up there for this. What kind of RV accommodations are there close to the race area? How big of a boat if any,wouldyou need to watch?

Good luck Steve.

I don't think Fred has spent any time with finish paint either. Just hope that you get it rigged and working with enough time to put it to the test before you trounce Fred:)

Kevin is in the Feild of Dreams.

As opposed to the Avenue of Broken Dreams.

"If you build it, it will break."

There are RV parks in the area, look it up, there are several and I don't know which one is least likely to be full.

We will, most likely, be sailing north of the bridge and or north of Gould Island. This is a bit of a poke from Newport in a slow or small boat, but it also isn't big water. On the other hand we reserve the right to sail outside off Beavertail if the conditions are right. That is the Atlantic Ocean and you might not want to be doing that in a 10' inflatable.

In any event, we don't expect to be right near the shore.

SHC

Just read a few earlier posts and would like to add one reason for raising the windward (asymetrical) board: keeping it down could break the leeward board.

Imagine that the working (leeward) board is generating the required horizontal lift with zero angle of drift. If, at this point, you lower the windward board, it will generate the same lift force, but in the opposite direction. To keep the forces balanced, the working board will have to produce twice the lift force it was producing before and, among other things, this means that its max work load will be twice as much as before.

Conclusion: to sail with the windward board down, the leeward board has to be twice as strong and, as a consequence, twice as heavy.

Take care,

Luiz

SHC

Good luck Steve.

And you can watch the live coverage SA and Mr/Mrs Clean and his crew will be providing. It promises to be GREAT!

Fredo & Blunted,

When do you see your fleet of boats headed south to Newport?

TTS

We are also in a race - to repair our damaged wing - so our departure will probably be pretty late, since we will be able to work faster here than in a feild ops shop in Newport.

We are also in a race - to repair our damaged wing - so our departure will probably be pretty late, since we will be able to work faster here than in a feild ops shop in Newport.

Makes sense. I hope that the wing repairs are going well. That must be one hell of a job to do.

Makes sense. I hope that the wing repairs are going well. That must be one hell of a job to do.

Ditto from me!

Seeing as it is so close, has anyone invited anyone from Sea Cliffe YC to come along and take a look at this year's event. I don't know who is currently the chairman of trustees of the ICCT anymore but I know that a number of past trustees were sad to see the C class no longer being used. No, I'm not knocking the ICCC but it would be nice if the event could be returned to its roots.

Contact details for SCYC can be found here.

I think Sea Cliff just a few months ago settled out their lawsuit with ACP or ACM or whatever over that weird Italian version of the ICCT that SC licensed.

Just a little more difficult than putting an I14 together a week before the 99 worlds on the grass in Melbourne I'd expect.

Loving watching your work Fredo... Good luck!

Yesterday's inkblot.

Wind SW 15-20

Ebb tide, steep chop.

Cogito wing.

post-738-099266500 1281365809_thumb.jpg

New wing staggering to completion.

With any luck we will put it into the air this weekend.

With a bit more luck it will stay there until we decide to take it down.

SHC

Just a little more difficult than putting an I14 together a week before the 99 worlds on the grass in Melbourne I'd expect.

Loving watching your work Fredo... Good luck!

Ha! Yeah, just a bit more complicated! But the deadline is just as real. I learned a lot getting that boat ready for 99 and we got a lot of help from some great blokes in AUS, without which we'd have never made it in time. That was a great regatta - not to be missed.

Fortunately, Rob and Rossi are way more skilled than I'll ever be at composite work and if anybody can put the wing back together in time, they can. They are confident, and therefore so am I, but it'll take them a lot of nights of hard work. If they make it in time they are true heros to the class. I know they will give it all they can to make it on time, 'cause that's the way they are. Working with them is one of the pleasures of C Cat sailing.

Fredo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HFRtsaDcEI

sorry, after 4 hours of uploading it's not there.

MC

Steve, Fredo, Blunted, Larso, IC Youth Movement and the rest who have participated in this thread,

I know that all of you are racing against the clock to get ready for the event, so I just want to thank all of you for taking the time out of your preparations to keep up with this thread and keep the information flowing. Hats off to all of you for your continuing efforts. It is greatly appreciated by all of us who have followed here on SA. Steve, hope you get the new wing flying, Fredo, good luck with the repairs that are going on and may all of you get to Newport healthy, with fast boats and ready to battle one another. Again, thanks.

TTS

Hello Steve,

Almost had a plane ticket to see you in Newport, but other things are going on here.

I wish all the teams the best of all things ,weather ,wind and competition and

I am going to trust Clean and the gang to help me see this

amazing event.

But of course I want Steve to win, give em hell, Steve.

All the Best

Nat

in Santa Fe

Fredo & Blunted,

When do you see your fleet of boats headed south to Newport?

TTS

wish i was there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HFRtsaDcEI

sorry, after 4 hours of uploading it's not there.

MC

Steve, Fredo, Blunted, Larso, IC Youth Movement and the rest who have participated in this thread,

I know that all of you are racing against the clock to get ready for the event, so I just want to thank all of you for taking the time out of your preparations to keep up with this thread and keep the information flowing. Hats off to all of you for your continuing efforts. It is greatly appreciated by all of us who have followed here on SA. Steve, hope you get the new wing flying, Fredo, good luck with the repairs that are going on and may all of you get to Newport healthy, with fast boats and ready to battle one another. Again, thanks.

TTS

What he said!

Yesterday's inkblot.

Wind SW 15-20

Ebb tide, steep chop.

Cogito wing.

post-738-099266500 1281365809_thumb.jpg

New wing staggering to completion.

With any luck we will put it into the air this weekend.

With a bit more luck it will stay there until we decide to take it down.

SHC

Kinda hard to interpret without more data for comparison, but it seems like 25kt is doable through the water for this boat, whereas I recall you saying 20-ish was the top end before, so that seems like an impressive step forward unless it is all tide-assisted or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A39vPzdTE0c

We'll see how long this stays up before the copyrighters take it down.....

Enjoy

Wow.

Truly interesting watching the high pressure side wing skin surface at this low angle - it is far more "alive" than I expected. The other thing I noticed is that maintaining air flow across the wing was done by Fredo on the rudder - not by constant sheeting. It appeared that the boat was steered to maintain trim, rather than sheeted for trim. This may be due to this being a practice session, without marks & lay lines, but the helm prediction (as opposed to reaction) of the wind seemed anticipatory, instinctive and automatic. Keeping the wing "hooked up" and driving at a constant power level seemed to take priority over boat course.

They appeared to be sailing the wing, rather than sailing a set course. I wonder how easily the wing stalls and falls out the steady drive "groove" we were looking at?

I could be completely out to lunch however.

--

Bill

That was a great video. What an awsome pespective. The resolution on the camera is so much better than most that I have seen from the masthead. Thanks, TTS

yep definitely a nice video Magnus! looks impressive from this angle especially in HD! Can't wait to finally see the beast in real though! And it'll be great to finally line-up Invictus against you guys to see where we stand! I hope you make it to Newport a few days before the race...

From what I hear it seems Invictus has now cleared customs and is waiting for us in New York. Norman is flying out Friday and will go recover the trailer down there. Most of the team is flying out on Sunday so we're hoping to be operational by Monday and get a lot of practice before the race. I'm sure we'll still find time for a few more tweaks as well to get Invictus in as good a shape as it's ever been!!! it's all getting tantalisingly close now! Bring on the weekend!

Steve hope you've planned good weather and nice winds for us!!! Here in the UK it's rather dire at the moment! Summer's been and gone!

See you all out there!

Cheers,

Juls.

Enjoy

Wow.

Truly interesting watching the high pressure side wing skin surface at this low angle - it is far more "alive" than I expected. The other thing I noticed is that maintaining air flow across the wing was done by Fredo on the rudder - not by constant sheeting. It appeared that the boat was steered to maintain trim, rather than sheeted for trim. This may be due to this being a practice session, without marks & lay lines, but the helm prediction (as opposed to reaction) of the wind seemed anticipatory, instinctive and automatic. Keeping the wing "hooked up" and driving at a constant power level seemed to take priority over boat course.

They appeared to be sailing the wing, rather than sailing a set course. I wonder how easily the wing stalls and falls out the steady drive "groove" we were looking at?

I could be completely out to lunch however.

--

Bill

Nope, It's an optical illusion. It looks like the bow is all over the place but that's only bc the cam is connected to the wing. So when the bow moves across the frame, it's the wing moving not the bow. If you want a reference point, look at the tiller and how much it moves.

MC

I can't wait to see the challenge and defense! Its been great to follow along, this is not to be missed. I've booked my flight to Newport to watch final two mach races, see you there.

Nope, It's an optical illusion. It looks like the bow is all over the place but that's only bc the cam is connected to the wing. So when the bow moves across the frame, it's the wing moving not the bow. If you want a reference point, look at the tiller and how much it moves.

MC

Is it an optical illusion or is there twist in the front element?

Why are you controlling the angle of attack instead of the camber? Are you changing as the AWA changes or to control the amount of power?

Probably not my place to answer but pretty much all post Cogito wings have fwd element twist control. This was the main difference between Cogito and Yellowpages back in 96.

Probably not my place to answer but pretty much all post Cogito wings have fwd element twist control. This was the main difference between Cogito and Yellowpages back in 96.

So the one thing I haven't had time to get my head around is how you get that twist control. How is it done?

Magnus, how did you get the Clysar to pulse to the beat? Now that's skill. Great video.

Simon, I don't get too close to the wing for too long because the bits don't take well to drool. I think I kind of figured out twist once I understood that the main spar is not fixed to the ribs in element 1. The main spar fits nearly snug in the ribs and is supported - but not fixed. It can rotate and move a bit.

I think it's only fixed on the boom box (wing box?) at the base of the wing and to a strutted lever arm up the wing at (or near) the top of the main spar. I'm probably not on-term but you can fill in the blanks.

Add some control lines that exit in front of Magnus that work with the strut and lever arm up the rig and you have twist.

I hope I get a 50% on my explanation. 5-0 and go.

#1 element twist:

The main structural element of the wing is a round mast. This is inside the #1 element of the wing forward of t6he quarter chord.

The wing surface is attached to this spar above the hounds such that the spar rotates with the wing surface.

Below the hounds, the wing is located on the spar with saddles, but is free to rotate relative to the spar.

At the bottom of the wing , there is a large boom like structure ( called the Boom Box) which is the foundation of the wing control system. This is attached to the wing surface but can rotate about the spar. At this height the spar has a rotation tiller, similar in all respects to what you see on any beach cat. If the tiller is centered on the boom box, the wing above the hounds lines up with the boom box and there is no twist. If the tiller is eased, the wing above the hounds will be eased by the same amount, thus twisting the #1 element below the hounds.

As the flap angle is controlled by a system that has all of its foundations on the wing, flap angle is unchanged by twist.

So all the twist happens in the bottom 25' or so of the wing, which is where the greatest speed differences in boundary layer occur.

That is at least how all of the Cogito wings operate, and 5 of the 7 wings at Newport will work this way. Patient Lady VI's wing was built before we thought of this and only has the ability to wash out flap angle. Aethon's new wing has an extended play version of the twist control which allows us to twist the entire span of the wing instead of the bottom 25' or so. This comes at the cost of some additional complication that has me channelling Lindsey Cunningham on a nightly basis. We will see how this works by next week.

Bill from the frozen north has also noticed how active the film surface is. This has also been a concern of mine, and so the new wing has composite skins instead of shrink film. The hope is to have a more reliable flying surface and achieve some gains by maintaining the exact section shapes. Making all that down to weight is a bit of a trick, but we think we have pulled it off.

Pictures when we stand it up.

SHC

So the one thing I haven't had time to get my head around is how you get that twist control. How is it done?

To the point above, yes since Cogito came along, we all pretty much do it the same way now in principal.

There is a structrual tube (The spar) up the LE of the wing, generally inside the cowl. It takes a number of loads, compression, from rig tension and crew weight. It also accomodates bending loads, and finally torsional loads.

The spar has acts as a torsion rod, it has a short arm off the back of it inside the boom box. The amount you allow that arm to fall off from center determines how much twist the front element has. 300" or so off the deck at the hounds, said spar is glued into the rib at that height. So what the lower arm does is what the rib at 300 does relative to the boom box, AKA the bottom of the wing. The ribs between the boom box and the hounds just hang on the spar, like a curtain rod. They are not glued on, just held in place with a nice fit and some shock cord.

Above the hounds, the spar is fixed relative to the angle of the ribs, not glued, but not moving either. So that menas that all you twist, in the number one element, is between the boom box and the hounds. This allows you to twist the enite wing profile in the area where there is the most gradient effect, when sailing downhill, which translates into, a nice wing that is working from top to bottom when sailing off the wind.

An older wing like PL does not twist like that, so you have to decide if you want the top or the bottom of the wing to be trimmed right off the breeze, cause you cannot have both.

The aft flap twist control is a relative system. Essentially the delta translates the camber angle at the boom box to the camber angle at the hounds. If you ease the system, it's the base camber angle, minus whatever you ease into it. So 20 degrees minus 10 equals 10 degrees of camber at the hounds, which also looks like leech twist to soft sail sailors.

So in practical terms, upwind, we have the front twist locked at zero and downhill we ease it out to get an even break across the wing from top to bottom, on the LE. The #3 twist, we generally have boned until we are depowering and don't want to take any more camber out. This is actually pretty important as it effects the downwash of the whole wing. As you all know an even downwash profile will produce the lowest possible induced drag for a wing, which translates into higher or faster. The trade off is still having the right amount of heeling moment to fly a hull, and having enough camber that your net vectors actually kind of point forwards not all sideways which only loads up your underwater foils.

Finally, to answer another question, why don't I play the camber instead of the sheet? Well we had this debate at length with the BMWOR team as well, especially Joseph Ozane. In theory and in practice, playing the camber does indeed work. But to my mind it works too slowly to be good enough to trim the boat properly, meaning keeping the hull flying at the right altitude without steering all over the map which is of course draggy. No doubt we'll see some different approaches to this problem in two weeks. The equally valid question would be, "why don't you play with the flap twist instead of the sheet?" Ask Invictus and you will see that's likely what they are doing judging by their recent comments. Again, think back to induced drag........Can you see the circle forming here?

Jesus, both Steve and I posting the same thing +- simultaneously. we should both shut up and get back to building.

Jesus, both Steve and I posting the same thing +- simultaneously. we should both shut up and get back to building.

No way should you guys shut up. You are the best, this thread is the best and we are all very lucky to have both of you posting as much as you do. Many, many thanks to both of you (yet again)!

If only the guys at the Big AC were this open.

Awesome looking machines and great comentary for us lay people to see how and why.

So having had a few minutes to think about this......

Does this mean that the leading edge mouldings have to be able to twist?

Bill from the frozen north has also noticed how active the film surface is. This has also been a concern of mine, and so the the new wing has composite skins instead of shrink film.

So the cat's out of the bag, Steve !

Does this mean that the leading edge mouldings have to be able to twist?

While this shouldn't be a problem with an open "U" profile, my concern is for the new wing where there's a teardrop, closed hence torsion-resistant profile. But it's so obvious Steve must have thunk of it..

Steve, it looks as though the Canadians have gone with a taller wing, how about yours?

leading edge moldings twist because they are not closed at the trailing edge. Therefore have zero torsional stiffness.

SHC

leading edge moldings twist because they are not closed at the trailing edge. Therefore have zero torsional stiffness.

SHC

You said you were using a composite skin all around not just for a leading edge molding. Doesn't that create a closed shape? Maybe we have to wait until its ready to see exactly what you are talking about.

In seach of "MR. Clean",

I hear you need a place to crash for the little america's cup and a way to get on the water, I believe I can help you with this challenge and look forward to hearing from you.

contact me via email:

yarrow@yarrowsport.com

cheers,

yarrow

I14 usa 1134

NSF member

In seach of "MR. Clean",

I hear you need a place to crash for the little america's cup and a way to get on the water, I believe I can help you with this challenge and look forward to hearing from you.

contact me via email:

yarrow@yarrowsport.com

cheers,

yarrow

I14 usa 1134

NSF member

I figured he could just crash on "Meteor" :ph34r:

MS

bah mr clean is a stupid username lollolololololololololollololololo

Dear lololol:

Welcome. Somehow you may have ended up at the wrong location on the Internets. This particular thread is one of the best conversations of leading edge developments in the sailing community, and the people here value it very much. You might find the "Political Anarchy" or "General Anarchy" forums more fun, as there are lots of people there that share your personality and typing style.

Please do not feel it necessary to respond to this.

Cheers,

--

Bill

u call tihs leading lol tihs is epic suxxorz lololololol

Dear lololol...

This is one of the few threads on this forum that has class. Please try to refrain from denigrating it. As mentioned, there are other threads on this site where it is perfectly acceptable to lower one's standards to the level of underachieving expectations.

Thank you.

Bruce Geffen

Owner, "Nice Pair"

Sorry for the lack of posting, it's been a little busy over here on the island. Cunningham and I went sailing on Orion with Jimmy and Glens fully repaired wing on Tuesday. We had a little help with our rudders from a friend of the Canadian C Class effort.

Here ya go Clean. Enjoy.

post-35852-043957600 1281578282_thumb.jpg

post-35852-057891500 1281578289_thumb.jpg

post-35852-079904700 1281578296_thumb.jpg

post-35852-030270800 1281578351_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the lack of posting, it's been a little busy over here on the island. Cunningham and I went sailing on Orion with Jimmy and Glens fully repaired wing on Tuesday. We had a little help with our rudders from a friend of the Canadian C Class effort.

Here ya go Clean. Enjoy.

Hey - is she Swedish? I thought only Swedes in bikinis were allowed to help with rudders! She doesn't look Swedish.....! <_<

<head explodes trying to work out if thats signal or noise> :wacko:

On another note.

Slinko liberated Invictus from the docks yesterday.

She is, as we say, in the house.

SHC

Pardon my impertinance but what is the schedule and format for this event. Who exactly will be racing and what is the process for reaching the finals then winning the whole event?

Pardon my impertinance but what is the schedule and format for this event. Who exactly will be racing and what is the process for reaching the finals then winning the whole event?

Copied from NYYC website:

International C Class Catamaran Championship

August 22-28, 2010

New York Yacht Club

Harbour Court, Newport, RI

GENERAL FORMATThe International C Class Catamaran Championships (IC^4) will be hosted at New York Yacht Club in Newport, RI from August 22-28, 2010. The IC^4 is the successor to the Little America's Cup as the championship event for the for the C class catamarans.

Racing begins with an up-to-12 race series of fleet racing to determine the seeding for the match racing. The top two seeds will have a first to five point match race series to determine the winner of the International C Class Catamaran Championship. The course is a 6 mile windward-leeward, with one mile legs and up to four races each day. The course area will be weather dependent, but either north of the Newport Bridge or off Beavertail. Boats will launch off the beach at Harbour Court and store their wing sails in a duo-purpose hospitality tent.

I4Ccatfrombehind.JPGI4Ccatsm.jpgI4Ctwocatsupwindsm.JPG

SCHEDULE SCHEDULE Aug. 15-22Facilities at Sail Newport available for trainingSaturday Aug. 21 Measurement at Sail Newport by appointment Sunday Aug. 22

1600-1800

Measurement at NYYC by appointment

Registration at NYYC Sailing Center

Competitors meeting at NYYC Sailing Center

Opening Reception

Monday Aug. 23 1100

Warning signal for the first fleet raceTuesday Aug. 24 1100

Warning signal for the first fleet raceWednesday Aug. 25 1100

Warning signal for the first fleet race

Cocktails & BBQ Dinner

Thursday Aug. 26 0900

Meeting with the Umpires (for top two teams)

Attention signal for the first match race

Friday Aug. 27 1100Attention signal for the first match race

Saturday Aug. 28 1100

TBD

Attention signal for the first match race

Final Awards ceremony after racing

Sunday Aug. 29 Break down and departure

Happy days! Did she look in one piece Slinko? When you shook the box, did anything rattle? Now I'm starting to get excited. The new Rocket has just been all consuming and I have barely had time to consider the other women that now awaits in Newport. As it stands I will be going from one wing to the next. I've just literally come from the first stages of the assembly of Sailrockets new wing and now will have to leave it for two weeks in the hands of another. It's been pretty stressful trying to get everything sorted in time. We are on the waterfront in East Cowes. Our view of the Medina is blocked by Team Oracle and the V5 boats used for the 1851 cup. The Extreme 40's were based a stones throw away and yet we didn't see any racing throughout Cowes week. It's a self enforced regime all for the love of wings. The only thing that will distract me from this wing... is that wing.

It is going to be such a pleasure to simply be out sailing these boats in this company and in Newport. The event has grown into more than we could have hoped for and it really is hard to know what events are about to unfold.

It shouldn't take us long to get out on the water. INVICTUS is all packed away in her road trailer and that's how she arrives down in Weymouth for a weekends sailing. Some of the team will arrive before the 15th (when we arrive) so if some of the basics are sorted then we could even be sailing the following day. Hell, we could be lining up against Steve in four days. Like I said, Happy days.

By the way, On behalf of the team Invictus team, thankyou to Slinko and Steve for picking the boat up and taking it to Newport. Hopefully we can return the favour when ah... you come over here to try and win the cup back someday;)

p.s. seriously Slinko, did it rattle when you shook it?

Good News Larso, glad it did not come to any harm, that you know of so far.

Well we start loading the 53' trailer tonight with PL for the French team, plus a world of spares from the shop.

The two road trailers are awaiting their cargo at the City Station, the newer of the two being fitted to accept Canaan this very moment. Full packing will commence later in the weekend.

We'll be rolling around Wednesday AM for sure with 4 boats and at least two RIBs in tow.

We still have an pant load of work to get done before we roll. It will be nice for you to show up with a 95% operable yacht to go sailing in.

Can't wait to line up. It'll be like mating season for C-cats, with offspring not arriving for two years after conception.

Happy days! Did she look in one piece Slinko? When you shook the box, did anything rattle? Now I'm starting to get excited. The new Rocket has just been all consuming and I have barely had time to consider the other women that now awaits in Newport. As it stands I will be going from one wing to the next. I've just literally come from the first stages of the assembly of Sailrockets new wing and now will have to leave it for two weeks in the hands of another. It's been pretty stressful trying to get everything sorted in time. We are on the waterfront in East Cowes. Our view of the Medina is blocked by Team Oracle and the V5 boats used for the 1851 cup. The Extreme 40's were based a stones throw away and yet we didn't see any racing throughout Cowes week. It's a self enforced regime all for the love of wings. The only thing that will distract me from this wing... is that wing.

It is going to be such a pleasure to simply be out sailing these boats in this company and in Newport. The event has grown into more than we could have hoped for and it really is hard to know what events are about to unfold.

It shouldn't take us long to get out on the water. INVICTUS is all packed away in her road trailer and that's how she arrives down in Weymouth for a weekends sailing. Some of the team will arrive before the 15th (when we arrive) so if some of the basics are sorted then we could even be sailing the following day. Hell, we could be lining up against Steve in four days. Like I said, Happy days.

Larso, Glad to hear that it made it safely. Hope that your new wing for Sailrocket is going well. See you in Newport.

TTS

The two road trailers are awaiting their cargo at the City Station, the newer of the two being fitted to accept Canaan this very moment. Full packing will commence later in the weekend.

We'll be rolling around Wednesday AM for sure with 4 boats and at least two RIBs in tow.

Scary! The Canadian Bacon scenario come true :D

Looking forward to meeting you

Larso:

We peeked inside and everything looks like it should.

Nothing had obviously shifted.

SHC

local support,

my name is Yarrow Thorne, I'd like to offer any support any teams that may need support leading up to this event. I'm a local I-14 sailor and live in Providence. If anybody needs an extra hand or help please just contact me:

email:

yarrow@yarrowsport.com

cheers,

yarrow

i have a question. when we say that part of the event is "match racing," will this be full-on agressive match racing with umpires, penalties, etc.? Or is it just two boats drag racing trying not to break themselves or each other?

i have a question. when we say that part of the event is "match racing," will this be full-on agressive match racing with umpires, penalties, etc.? Or is it just two boats drag racing trying not to break themselves or each other?

James Spithill is on one of the boats.

Have you ever heard of the "Pitbull" not being agressive when racing?

:rolleyes:

On Match racing C Class catamarans.

This can be plenty mano a mano, but we don't really like to hit each other. remember that these boats are 2' long, 14 feet wide and 40' tall and weigh 350-400 pounds. So bows go right the fuck through hulls if you t bone, and if you crack into someones stern beam you might break both boats.

I have done most of the classic match race moves, and chasing someone away from the line at 15-18 knots is pretty exhilarating. Some things just don't work.

Finally, I think match racing is all about speed. Unless the boats have been specially equalized, I think the fastest boat always wins a match race. Which is why they spend so much to get just a little at the America's Cup.

SHC

On Match racing C Class catamarans.

This can be plenty mano a mano, but we don't really like to hit each other. remember that these boats are 2' long, 14 feet wide and 40' tall and weigh 350-400 pounds. So bows go right the fuck through hulls if you t bone, and if you crack into someones stern beam you might break both boats.

I have done most of the classic match race moves, and chasing someone away from the line at 15-18 knots is pretty exhilarating. Some things just don't work.

Finally, I think match racing is all about speed. Unless the boats have been specially equalized, I think the fastest boat always wins a match race. Which is why they spend so much to get just a little at the America's Cup.

SHC

Very well put! Thanks for the explanation.

What surprised me was how little looking up at the wing is going on there :huh:

Could just be the cut but also I guess since the wing keeps its shape you only have to confirm its trim occasionally & most of the time you can just go by feel?

Here ya go Clean. Enjoy.

What a great thread.

But you do know that women are interested and post here too?

Where are the pics of the the boyz.? I suspect the boats look more sexy, but that's just me. :lol:

Enjoy

nice work on the boat, nice driving and nice tunes.

whose tunes?

cheers, K

Need To Feel Loved: (Seb Fontaine & Jay P's Type Mix) , Reflekt Feat. Delline Bass's ,

Various

It's All Gone Pete Tong, Sound track

Label: EMI Records Limited

Release date: 2005

One funny movie too.

Here ya go Clean. Enjoy.

What a great thread.

Where are the pics of the the boyz.? I suspect the boats look more sexy, but that's just me. :lol:

Here's a photo of lawn boy. All the girls seem to love him....

post-1634-090080300 1281706237_thumb.jpg

Here ya go Clean. Enjoy.

What a great thread.

Here's a photo of lawn boy. All the girls seem to love him....

post-1634-090080300 1281706237_thumb.jpg

Fair enough. I am in Newport so will swing down to see if the boats or the boys look better in person. Can't tell much from that picture. Try to keep all the boats and wings in one piece till I get there please.

This thread has everything and now to complete the picture, Blunted has become a digital pimp! :D