Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nut-hatch

Building J/24 Gin Pole

I recently acquired a broken lower mast section that is just begging to be turned into a Gin Pole for my J/24. Unfortunately I have never seen one in action.

I would love to see the correct setup instead of blundering into this and guessing......

Does anyone have a pictures / pictures of a J/24 Gin Pole setup in action?

Thanks, Paul S.

Good thread, to bad there is no one here to reply. J Anarchy sucks.

give me a day to go down to my YC and take some pics of my buddy's gin pole.

We place are gin pole (old J24 mast) over the spinnaker downhaul eye with a piece of carpet to protect the deck which is a good spot and the pole cant slip around

We have 3 lines ,Everything is good quality running rigging you have to be careful BUT your only lifting 75 pounds

One fixed head-stay which goes to the bow fitting and TWO lines which we run through the eyes on the lifeline stanchions and then to the winches to tighten them up and get the pole straight

Its only hard the first time because you have to get the lines the correct length after that it takes 5 minutes \

We use a bridle just below the spreaders to lift with and find a 4:1 block and tackle(old boom Vang works ) about right for easy hand control

You need 19' of lift MINIMUM to get the mast clear of the hull and then be able to lower it down and set it on top of the pulpits

If you cut it close on the lift you get the mast ALMOST clear of the hull and have to start over :)