Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DryArmour

She sets off- Abby Sunderland

I would think that her biggest enemy right now would be exposure and hypothermia. Who knows if she got the survival suit on and for the length of time she'll be immersed in cold sloshing water inside the boat, lest she got it pumped out, the survival suits only do so much...

agreed...it's the cold.

Bullimore managed to stay out of the water in his upturned hull....if she can too.....???

he had a hamick set up for such an occassion, dont know if abby's team had thought that one through or not.

One of the news links said she manually activated the epirb down below, and the one in her suit, but the one if the raft is not activated. So, you think she moved one into the cockpit, for better reception? I thought both were tracking the same path? So, both below, whether turtled or not?

I have no clue at this point. I did find some references that EPIRBs work fine through glass but I'm not sure about carbon (that does conduct, read reflect). It does make sense to store one below in the event that she capsized and had no knowledge/confidence that the hydro unit released/activated. And having the PLB on her suit makes great sense.

So let me backtrack, you are most certainly right, but I'm still guessing she's upright.

If the EPIRB works, the VHF should as well for the earlier stated reasons.

What's the best case scenario (fully charged new batter) stand by time for a handheld VHS radio's batteries if you don't transmit at all? My experience has not been good with the battery life on those things

She'll have no idea when the aircraft is overhead. She'll need to be monitoring and hope she's got enough juice left to transmit if she hears the plane calling her.

Just received an email from our favourite Sailing journalist site - Sail World - with link to an article penned by our favourite journo - Nancy Knudsen - link here - http://www.sail-world.com/CruisingAus/index.cfm?SEID=0&Nid=70615&SRCID=0&ntid=119&tickeruid=0&tickerCID=0

Her team seem to think she has lost her keel and is inverted. Heard the same from Abby's dad on ABC Radio's AM program about 45 mins ago. Doesn't sound good. Hope she keeps herself warm coz she's got a long wait for help.

They had conditions for when to set off the EPIRB according to this article in the LA Times:

"Casher said the family is looking at three possible scenarios. Either the boat's mast came down, giving her no ability to sail the vessel; the keel hit something and possibly flipped the boat upside down; or she may have broken an arm or leg while being whipsawed about in violent waters.

"She set this off not because she lost communication, but because something else was wrong," Casher said. They had set very clear guidelines for when to activate emergency beacons – and losing communication alone was not enough, he said."

One of the news links said she manually activated the epirb down below, and the one in her suit, but the one if the raft is not activated. So, you think she moved one into the cockpit, for better reception? I thought both were tracking the same path? So, both below, whether turtled or not?

I have no clue at this point. I did find some references that EPIRBs work fine through glass but I'm not sure about carbon (that does conduct, read reflect). It does make sense to store one below in the event that she capsized and had no knowledge/confidence that the hydro unit released/activated. And having the PLB on her suit makes great sense.

So let me backtrack, you are most certainly right, but I'm still guessing she's upright.

If she's dismasted, the VHF ariel may be gone if it was at the top of the mast. If it is a whip ariel, it may have been lost in the knockdowns. The radar was. Without an ariel she will not be able to transmit, but should recieve. The hand held (if she has one) will probably be only 1W so might not broadcast thru the hull if it's inverted.

I know Bullimore turned his epirb off and then back on on a few occasions to let people know that he was still alive, i wonder if team abby discussed this senario maybe with one of the activated epirb's????

Ian

little cat... thanks for the heads up, i didn't know about the carbon hull issues!

The epirb will transmit through hull no worries at all for those that asked!

I thought someone said it was a carbon hull, just glass?

A final note - the EPIRB signal will not broadcast through a carbon hull. We stuck our EPIRB inside the boat when the Coast Guard picked us up, turning what should have been a simple and quick boat recovery into an almost impossible ordeal

http://www.sfbama.or...rim950412.html.

Does Wild Eyes have a carbon hull?

http://www.abbysunde.../abbys-boat.php and all other http://www.abbysunderland.com/ pages have been pointed at her blog ONLY for some reason??

C

Any idea why they disabled their website???

Alan Paris sailed BTC Velocity (Wild Eyes) and it appears the hull may just be Kevlar reinforced?

In which case she could be inverted...I still think the rigging is just down. It would take impact to de-bulb Wild Eyes IMO.

Name of Vessel BTC Velocity BTC Velocity

Captain Alan S. Paris Alan S. Paris

Fan No. 441 441

Design Scott Jutson

Construction Jon Sayer

Construction Year 2001

Vessel type Carbon

Hull material Divinycell/Eglass/Kevlar

Master degree metres:12.19

Waterline length metres:12.07

Side width metres:3.53

Ate depth metres: 3.59

Sail area

Ballast weight 7,300 pounds 7,300 pounds

If she's dismasted, the VHF ariel may be gone if it was at the top of the mast. If it is a whip ariel, it may have been lost in the knockdowns. The radar was. Without an ariel she will not be able to transmit, but should recieve. The hand held (if she has one) will probably be only 1W so might not boadcast thru the hull if it's inverted.

I don't think you can find a modern handheld that doesn't have a 5W capability. IIRC, 5W is what the EPIRB is putting out about once a minute.

Rusalka, I hope she threw out the rechargeables and has a brick of Alkaline AAs to work with. If you believe the manufacturers, on receive they should go on the order of 20hrs, so at least 10?

All we can do for now is speculate and hope for the best. If the onboard epirb was activated and then her personal epirb it's possible she has launched her raft, tethered it to Wild Eyes, boarded the raft and activated her personal epirb. I assume there's another epirb on the raft so she may be keeping that in reserve. At least in the raft she's got a degree of protection from the elements. It's possible Wild Eyes has damage to the coachhouse and taking water if the mast has gone, making the raft a better option (even though people who have been in the situation always say the raft is the last option, tethered or not). All this assumes she's not hurt herself and she has the strength left to launch the raft, not always an easy task.

Hang in there mate.

Can I assume that there's not much on Kerguelen in way of tools, manpower, boats and aircraft?..........

Nope. One supply ship coming from La Réunion very infrequently, that's about it.

I'm not a sailor and came here to follow Abby. I won't be participating in the drama because it isn't appropriate right now. I'd hope that people would reserve their comments for information on the rescue effort. There will be plenty of time for analysis and criticism later.

I've read that she is about 500 NM NNE of Port-aux-Francais, in the Kerguelen Islands. The islands are currently 12 hours ahead of PST, which makes it 1:55 AM. Current air temperature is 35 degrees with potential snow in the early morning forecast. Sunrise isn't until 8:11 AM. So she is still 6 hours away from daylight and cold.

How much of this is problematic for Abby? Since I'm not a sailor, I can only go by what I know, which isn't much. It just sounds fairly dire.

Poor girl...she's probably terrified right now. I hope she is okay and that she is found safely.

It's dire. But those are conditions I hope she was expecting and prepared to sail in. If she is in her boat, she'll be fine, cold, shaken but fine. If she is outside, that's going to be a very cold 40 hours. Exposure at those temperatures are not to be taken lightly, even in a survival suit. However considering that she triggered two EPIRB and that the third one is not deployed there is a good chance that she is with her boat, hopefully inside. The boat she's in is robust and solid, so as long as she can stay with it she could be recovered.

The cause of the trigger is speculation at this point, but it could be anything from being swamped by a big wave, filling everything with water and killing all electronic, being rolled and losing the rig, or simply losing a rudder due to impact with some kind of object. As long as the hull is somewhat intact waiting inside keeping warm is the best thing to do, ideally releasing some kind of droge(sp?) to keep the boat facing the wind and waves. Something worse would be losing the keel as the boat would be still floating but inverted, or being badly holed and having to deal with cold water everywhere. Better not think about this.

For the people saying that the Australians are coming to help her, forget it. She's too far away from anything and out of range of any aircraft capable of pulling her out of there. The only reason they send over a plane is to try to get in VHF range, even a visual is going to be tough with a big airbus, especially with cloud cover and possibility of snow. But hopefully they'll get a fix on her position and some news. Her only hope to get out are the boats in the vicinity, and apparently two are steaming full power toward her.

And yeah: FUCK OFF NEWB (I sooo wanted to do that).

What a jerk!

Right, called a jerk by a n00b for using SA official greeting on another n00b.

I almost forgot: Fuck off Newb!

Rusalka, I hope she threw out the rechargeables and has a brick of Alkaline AAs to work with. If you believe the manufacturers, on receive they should go on the order of 20hrs, so at least 10?

I hope you're right, but on the whole I am not so impressed with the preparation for this stunt so who knows....

All we can do for now is speculate and hope for the best. If the onboard epirb was activated and then her personal epirb it's possible she has launched her raft, tethered it to Wild Eyes, boarded the raft and activated her personal epirb. I assume there's another epirb on the raft so she may be keeping that in reserve. At least in the raft she's got a degree of protection from the elements. It's possible Wild Eyes has damage to the coachhouse and taking water if the mast has gone, making the raft a better option (even though people who have been in the situation always say the raft is the last option, tethered or not). All this assumes she's not hurt herself and she has the strength left to launch the raft, not always an easy task.

Hang in there mate.

I doubt the Sat Phone was ruined by water as I believe the Iridiums at least are pretty waterproof. It could be a battery problem and she may no longer have recharge capability.

I don't know what sat phone she has on board. My Iridium phone is not in the least bit waterproof -- it may be sort of dust and spray resistant but I'd hate test that. Also the antenna connection is weak and a bit fiddly so could be damaged if she was trying to change antennas. I suspect that the battery might be dead since they were using it to talk through the engine issue. If the ship's electrical system is down I don't see how she could recharge it. And, as you say, getting the antenna pointed at an SV can be a chore at times. Best case is when the sun comes out she'll maybe get some solar or something and be able to call in. That would be even better than VHF with the Airbus I think. Hoping for both.

. And, as you say, getting the antenna pointed at an SV can be a chore at times. Best case is when the sun comes out she'll maybe get some solar or something and be able to call in. That would be even better than VHF with the Airbus I think. Hoping for both.

Also if the rig is gone (which seems much more believable than the keel being gone) the period that the boat rolls will be much faster making it even harder to make a connections.

In those high wind and big breaking wave conditions I don't think the tether would last long and there would be a significant chance of having a catastrophic contact with the vessel if one chose to remain attached. If I felt the need to deploy the raft, I would board quickly and cut the tether.

Somebody help me out here. I recall that Isabelle Autissier (PRB) lost a boat in this general area in one of the early BOC's and was rescued by a boat from ??. Anybody remember the location and how long it took them to get to her. The cabin top was gone but she stayed inside.

In those high wind and big breaking wave conditions I don't think the tether would last long and there would be a significant chance of having a catastrophic contact with the vessel if one chose to remain attached. If I felt the need to deploy the raft, I would board quickly and cut the tether.

You don't get in the raft until the boat sinks underneath you.

Step UP into the raft.

Somebody help me out here. I recall that Isabelle Autissier (PRB) lost a boat in this general area in one of the early BOC's and was rescued by a boat from ??. Anybody remember the location and how long it took them to get to her. The cabin top was gone but she stayed inside.

98-99 Around Alone.... Rescued by fellow competitor Giovanni Soldini onboard FILA... I don't remember the lost cabin top though

You don't get in the raft until the boat sinks underneath you.

Step UP into the raft.

yes a lesson everyone learnt after the 79 fastnet

You can pray to god as much as you like it isnt going to help in the Southern Ocean in winter.

Pray to the rescue guys I would.

Been watching this all day. My prayers go out to Abby. Hang tough little girl.

If anyone's interested I calculated the time zone where she is. It should be 7:21AM now (I'm writing this at 9:21PM EDT). The sun rises in her location at 8:11AM. The sun sets at around 4:30PM. That does not leave a lot of daylight hours for search.

And another very long night for her to get through before a vessel can get to her. The nights are the worst.

Thinking positive thoughts and sending good ju-ju.

yes a lesson everyone learnt after the 79 fastnet

This stunt went bad because of lessons that were not learned.

Lesson 1: Don't try to sail across the Indian ocean in the roaring 40s in June.

Just deciding to leave port in this case shows such poor judgement that you wonder what other lessons they have not learned.

98-99 Around Alone.... Rescued by fellow competitor Giovanni Soldini onboard FILA... I don't remember the lost cabin top though

No, that was the second boat she lost and they were approaching Cape Horn. This must have been the race before then. She was lifted off by heli, there was footage of the rescue on a video they did of the race.

No, that was the second boat she lost and they were approaching Cape Horn. This must have been the race before then. She was lifted off by heli, there was footage of the rescue on a video they did of the race.

In '95 she was lifted off Ecureuil Poitou Charentes II about 750 miles SW of Adelaide according to: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/helicopter-rescue-as-autissier-abandons-yacht-1566402.html

So much self serving crap on this post.

Really guys, whether you agree or disagree with the voyage really doesn't matter, right now there is a 16 year old human being possibly fighting for their life - or has alread lost it with the nearest physical help close to 2 days away asuuming they pinpoint her right away which is unlikely to be easy with the conditions that exist in the area at the moment.

To hell with the criticism of her, or her family or the others who encouraged this venture - this is a young girl in trouble and we should stop the speculation and simply wish her well and the rescue authorities every luck and success in locating and resuing her.

C'mon guys - grow up

Shanghai Sailor

In '95 she was lifted off Ecureuil Poitou Charentes II about 750 miles SW of Adelaide according to: http://www.independe...ht-1566402.html

That's right. Forgot about that one. My bad.

She had to leave when she did to try to make the record. Even though she had stopped twice once below the equator. Guess they were trying to push for a finish then appeal to let the record stand. Then the parents would be able to cash in. Had she been sailing the whole time she would have been done before the storms really got bad down there. But if they waited till decent weather then she would never get the record and then its no money for the parents.

I truely hope Abby is ok. She should be at home and her parents should be out there.

GodSpeed young lady.

Hi all, newbie here. Thanks for your expertise.

Found this link to a world sunlight map. The dawn line creeping westward towards her location... a welcome sight.

http://www.die.net/earth/

Safe home to Abby and the search team. I bow to the experts here on charting a course around the world by sea, but seeing locations with the name Antarctica in the area .. !!!! ... astonishing.

Really guys, whether you agree or disagree with the voyage really doesn't matter, right now there is a 16 year old human being possibly fighting for their life - or has alread lost it with the nearest physical help close to 2 days away asuuming they pinpoint her right away which is unlikely to be easy with the conditions that exist in the area at the moment.

To hell with the criticism of her, or her family or the others who encouraged this venture - this is a young girl in trouble and we should stop the speculation and simply wish her well and the rescue authorities every luck and success in locating and resuing her.

C'mon guys - grow up

Shanghai Sailor

Would you want your husband or wife risking their life to try and rescue her from her (or her dad's) stupidity?

C'mon guys - grow up

Shanghai Sailor

agree 100%

Would you want your husband or wife risking their life to try and rescue her from her (or her dad's) stupidity?

Moot point. If they're SAR, that's what they do and do well, regardless of greed, stupidity or just plain bad luck and Thank God for that...

UPDATE:

Abby's EPIRB position has drifted 12 NM @ 64 degree true in 12 hours....They are still both together........Not really sure if both have built in GPS i think only one does.....but one of them is giving GPS position.

Third EPIRB with built in GPS has not been activated.....

Qantas Airbus 320 has taken off with spotters aboard and VHF radios they will be there in about 2-3 hours from now.

Sunrise in her location is 2:04 am UTC 7:34 pm PDT

They will make several low passes attempt to make VHF radio contact them climb to altitude to make a lot of noise.....they have maybe 2 or 3 hours loiter time....they burn a lot of fuel if not at altitude.

She would not activate EPIRB's for just lost comm's...There was a lost comm's plan..

This is direct information.....

The EPIRB and the VHF will communicate

thru a fiberglass hull no problem.

Battery life is an issue of big concern

if the closest thing out there is 40+ hours away

by sea. Best thing a Quantas jet can do is a fly-over.

She doesn't need anything dropped to her.

That's idiocy.

I am hoping that she understands issues

with hypothermia and the concept

of sticking with the ship until you have

to step up into the life raft.

According to the builder of the boat, the

hull and its built in flotation and compartmentalized

structure makes it pretty unsinkable.

Upright or turned turtle the safest place

for her right now is probably

inside the boat.

What I don't know about is internal ventilation

in that boat when flipped over. 40-60 hours in a

with zip ventilation says a buildup of CO2 would be an issue.

Anyone know anything about this??? please let us know.

Maybe periodic opening of that stern escape hatch?

Popping off the EPIRB's is a good thing.

Be it a knockdown, torn away rig, busted keel or whatever,

it shows shes still alive and cognitive enough to

fire them off.

Loss of comm is not surprising, turtle that boat

and its a jumbled mess down below. The fixed

sat-comm system would be dead PDQ and the two

handheld sat-phones on-board might not be findable

in the dark and loss of power situation.

Also with all the water sloshing around if its not

stowed in a sealed container the electronics are going to be

toast almost right away if they are not designed to be submersible

(EPIRB's are designed for that, Iridium sat phones probably not.)

For everyone saying "whats she doing out there in the first place"

go read the first 60 pages of this thread.

Hope for the best, pray for her, and save the rest for later.

Moot point. If they're SAR, that's what they do and do well, regardless of greed, stupidity or just plain bad luck and Thank God for that...

Agreed---these guys don't get into this line of work because they failed the McDonalds hamburger making quiz.........

They're not rescuing her from her dad's stupidity, they're rescuing her from the Southern Ocean.

They won't be SAR.

It will be a civilian ship that gets to the location first in any kind of meaningful way. Not SAR personnel.

A civilian merchant mariner is going to be asked to get in a launch in the middle of the southern ocean to check out her boat.

They won't be SAR.

It will be a civilian ship that gets to the location first in any kind of meaningful way. Not SAR personnel.

A civilian merchant mariner is going to be asked to get in a launch in the middle of the southern ocean to check out her boat.

While that is also true, those guys would hope someone else does the same for them if it hit the fan....

UPDATE:

Abby's EPIRB position has drifted 12 NM in 12 hours....They are still both together........Not really sure if both have built in GPS i think only one does.....but one of them is giving GPS position.

Qantas Airbus 320 has taken off with spotters aboard and VHF radios they will be there in about 2-3 hours from now.

They will make several low passes attempt to make VHF radio contact them climb to altitude to make a lot of noise.....they have maybe 2 or 3 hours loiter time....they burn a lot of fuel if not at altitude.

cheers Scott, lets hope they spot a yacht the right way up with a downed rig with a young girl in the companion way waving her arms off at them.

I'm still guessing she is not inverted as the EPIRB signals are being received and I would have thought they would have been pretty badly attenuated, both by the hull and the skin layer of sea water that has to be there.

I don't really know, but I had a PLB go off belowdeck, stuffed inside a damp PFD with the VHF antenna still wrapped around the device.  The signal made it through some bulkheads and the fiberglass/plywood deck -- the satellite received it just fine.  Based on that, I can easily believe that an EPIRB could transmit well enough through the hull of an inverted sailboat.

UPDATE:

Abby's EPIRB position has drifted 12 NM in 12 hours....They are still both together........Not really sure if both have built in GPS i think only one does.....but one of them is giving GPS position.

where did you get the news? link please.

see my post again for a few more details....

UPDATE:

where did you get the news? link please.

See my post again for a few more details

To hell with the criticism of her, or her family or the others who encouraged this venture - this is a young girl in trouble and we should stop the speculation and simply wish her well and the rescue authorities every luck and success in locating and rescuing her.

well said.

They won't be SAR.

and.....

are you telling us that you never got help becasue you made a mistake? you must be a great sailor!

Before SHTP we sign something that acknowledges we will be responsible for self rescue and not to expect others to save us.

Have I been bailed out of tough places before? Yes. I have asked anyone to risk their lives to do it? No.

through the hull no problem.

(from an EE who designs comm systems, no speculation)

Battery life on handhelds and EPIRB is a major concern.

The Thrane Satcomm is probably down due to being in the water

or the power to it being dead.

The Iridium sat phones are probably lost in the jumble or dead

due to being wet.

The Abbysunderland.com web site seems to have been taken down and

re-directed to the blog site.

C'mon guys - grow up

Shanghai Sailor

Thank you for saying that so well.

Abby Sunderland? More like Abby Sunderwater!!

Fucking idiot! Do you think that's funny?

Not one poster here would like to be in Abby's shoes right now. Have a little decency and keep it either positive or, if not, factual.

If you are a sailor, close your eyes and try to imagine the conditions Abby has been through and is right now experiencing - if she is still alive. And the worst your imagination can come up with won't even come close. All sailors should be empathising with the young girl who is in very bad trouble, in waters very few of us have ever sailed.

ESPN reporting on it now too.

2 EPIRBs chirping is definitely not a good sign. Maybe she's in a raft. C'mon little girl, hang on till somebody gets to you.

Is topping the news here in LA on the Radio.

Can someone give me the latest for her LAT LON and I will go have a look at the Wx.

Somewhere 2000 nm west or wnw of Australia and east or ese of Reunion Island.

UPDATE:

Abby's EPIRB position has drifted 12 NM @ 64 degree true in 12 hours....They are still both together........Not really sure if both have built in GPS i think only one does.....but one of them is giving GPS position.

She would not activate EPIRB's for just lost comm's...There was a lost comm's plan..

This is direct information.....

SMSScott

Once again thanks for the infowink.gif As you can guess we are all very worried about abby , but our worry probably pails compared to what you and the "Team " are going through, so for you to take the time to update us on here speaks volumes ! Thanks again for doing what you could for the Abby!

ian

through the hull no problem.

(from an EE who designs comm systems, no speculation)

Battery life on handhelds and EPIRB is a major concern.

The Thrane Satcomm is probably down due to being in the water

or the power to it being dead.

The Iridium sat phones are probably lost in the jumble or dead

due to being wet.

The Abbysunderland.com web site seems to have been taken down and

re-directed to the blog site.

The web site Redirect is how it is set up during overload

Somewhere 2000 nm west or wnw of Australia and east or ese of Reunion Island.

wsw of Perth Western Australia

thru a fiberglass hull no problem.

Jerry, from the description of BTC Velocity

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=102689&view=findpost&p=2879278

do you think there's NOT any carbon in the hull...i.e. more likely it's carbon fiber mast, spar, etc.?

C

P.S. SMSScott - do you know?

Agreed---these guys don't get into this line of work because they failed the McDonalds hamburger making quiz.........

I don't know but I believe that in this case, as in many other ocean rescues, the mariners on the scene will not be professional SAR people. Certainly they are heroes either way.

C'mon guys - grow up

Shanghai Sailor

Thank you for saying that so well.

Abby Sunderland? More like Abby Sunderwater!!

Fucking idiot! Do you think that's funny?

Not one poster here would like to be in Abby's shoes right now. Have a little decency and keep it either positive or, if not, factual.

If you are a sailor, close your eyes and try to imagine the conditions Abby has been through and is right now experiencing - if she is still alive. And the worst your imagination can come up with won't even come close. All sailors should be empathising with the young girl who is in very bad trouble, in waters very few of us have ever sailed.

Well said Reci. I have been sitting here for 3 hours going thru my head what I would be doing. What my Priorities should be. My health,My ships health,plan for future, Keep wits,inventory-what works what don't. Anybody else thinkin that way? Care to share!

They won't be SAR.

and.....

are you telling us that you never got help becasue you made a mistake? you must be a great sailor!

Before SHTP we sign something that acknowledges we will be responsible for self rescue and not to expect others to save us.

Have I been bailed out of tough places before? Yes. I have asked anyone to rist their lives to do it? No.

Rusalka, you're a sensible bloke. But do you really think the crew of the boat first on the scene won't be queueing to volunteer? Even when it's dangerous, seamen look after their own. And that's why we help others whenever we can, because one day it could well be us.

Some things the Airbus can do: since one of the EPIRBS is transmitting GPS, they probably will be able to get a visual. Depending on what they see they will be able to work out some kind of rescue plan with the approaching ships, given whatever equipment the ships have on board. They will then have 30 hours to work on it instead of not knowing what to expect until they are right there. Obviously if they can make VHF contact they can talk Abby thru various things. Even if she only hears the aircraft noise, this would be a big morale boost, which in the circumstances could be crucial to survival.

They won't be SAR.

and.....

Have I been bailed out of tough places before? Yes. I have asked anyone to risk their lives to do it? No.

Well, since you left the west coast for Maine, you might not be aware that Skip opted to ask for help a couple of years ago and he received it from an AMVER vessel. No harm, no foul. Its proof that it happens to the best of us.

Rusalka, you're a sensible bloke. But do you really think the crew of the boat first on the scene won't be queueing to volunteer? Even when it's dangerous, seamen look after their own. And that's why we help others whenever we can, because one day it could well be us.

I am certain they will, because that's what we do for one another.

But this is an utterly needless situation that she ended up in due to pure stupidity. There is no reason for this to be happening. It was entirely predictable that it would happen. It looks like many people here predicted it. If someone dies trying to save her it will be 10 times the tragedy.

I have put my own life in danger to go out and drag others in danger in.

You question getting out there, but not the decision to do it, it has to be done.

Not at this scale, but it is all relative.

C'mon guys - grow up

Shanghai Sailor

yes, as a singlehander I am sure you face this question a lot.

i just had an email from sail-world saying that her boat was upside down. no details on where this info came from though.

Quick question for SMSScott:

How does it feel to participate in placing an innocent young girl at risk?

Although honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about her. Look at all those prayers on her Facebook page! It will definitely be ok, I hear that God is especially powerful in the Southern Ocean during winter. I bet she's praying too, so she'll be safe.

You are a Grade A Prime#1 cunt! My Wife has told me not to use that expression so much, but I have no hesitation using it here. If by some misfortune you are a parent go look your child (children) in the eye and tell them you could care less about a kid dying or in danger if it supported your opinion. If you don't have kids, run to the nearest sterilisation clinic. Ya Prick!

But this is an utterly needless situation that she ended up in due to pure stupidity. There is no reason for this to be happening. It was entirely predictable that it would happen. It looks like many people here predicted it. If someone dies trying to save her it will be 10 times the tragedy.

Not a huge Ken Barnes fan, is ya?.........

Reports I just heard on the radio said that an A310 has been sent.

Which can do what exactly? Fly slower & lower? Drop shit out of a trap door? Or just for re-con and comms?.......

it's a QANTAS jet rick....recon and comms only

But on the positive side the coffee on QANTAS is way better than on Virgin....

Hang in there Abby!

Well said Reci. I have been sitting here for 3 hours going thru my head what I would be doing. What my Priorities should be. My health,My ships health,plan for future, Keep wits,inventory-what works what don't. Anybody else thinkin that way? Care to share!

To quantify, I wouldn't be there in the first place, on my boat or hers... However, if on Oh Joy, I'd hope that some of the keel stepped main would survive and maybe the mizzen. If so, perhaps I could hoist the mizzen with a couple of reefs in it (yes it has two) and tie the tiller off the opposite way to heave to. Seeing as I have no manual pump below (something to be rectified), I'd likely either be tethered in the cockpit pumping my ass off or hiding below, strapped into the sea berth praying a lot and trying to stay warm and dry. Not much else to do except hold on, keep warm and kinda dry while waiting it out. Attempting to rig something afterwards to sail out of there is a given...

i just had an email from sail-world saying that her boat was upside down. no details on where this info came from though.

None of this would be possible without the incredible support team, affectionately called Team Abby, here in Marina del Rey. Headed up by her dad, Laurence, they have systematically put the best of the best onto an already incredible boat. Built for safe but fast single-handing in the Southern Ocean, she is equipped with 5 water tight bulkheads, an escape hatch and a self-righting system. http://soloround.blo...arture-set.html

Can someone with experience with bulbs explain how they think Wild Eye's lead bulb broke off???!!

Nice Open 40 page - http://www.finot.com/bateaux/projtprepa/40open/dosclient_ang.htm

C

Not a huge Ken Barnes fan, is ya?.........

This guy?

barnes-topper.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-01-04-barnes_x.htm

That boat is sailable. There's a simple jury rig to be done there.

Ken Barnes was not a sailor. Ken Barnes was a just a misguided and opportunistic poseur who should still be out there, drifting along with Reed, sargasso weed and the plastic trash island, contemplating his reasoning that 8D batteries were impervious to gravity ........

But it is happening none the less. It is what it is. Most SAR events shoudn't have happened. But they do. The 'I told you so' line is gettin a little old.

Just as many know alls said the same thing about Jessicia and were shown to be dicks. Of course anyone with the slightest knowlage of seaman ship knows she shouldn't be down there in winter. But she was and now is the time for us too offer support for one of our own. A sailor. It's all been said 10,000 times mate.

Anything new to add?

GeoHack - Sunderland's last known position on June 10, 2010

http://toolserver.or...June+10%2C+2010

I think you are 8-9 degrees too far North. What I saw was that she was ~ 550 NM NNE of Kerguelen. That would put her at roughly 42-43 S.

In any case, I am going to have a difficult time crawling into a warm bed tonight imagining what Abby is up against. She had been in my thoughts all day and will continue to be until she safely accounted for. Godspeed to all involved in the Southern Ocean right now.

Don't believe what you read there can be no conformation on that...you can believe every thing i say, unless i make a honest mistake....i will strive not to give out mis information...But I am not a PR person.

Where that came from is Laurence Abby's father has said all through the day.... that is what he thinks (the keel broke off and the boat is upside down) but he does not know.....

Nobody right now can know......there is a news spokesman Jeff Casher (he is on the team with me and speaks to Abby twice daily for a good part of the trip) and he will not give misleading info......so if his words are reported correctly or you hear it from his mouth most likley it is so.

The chartered aircraft will be overhead at around 10:30pm PDT

Rusalka

mate the first 70 pages in this thread make the points that you have raised over and over again and you really should read them if you want but for the moment this is not time or the place to begin the investigation , once she's rescued ( hopefully well) we can start the attacks!!wink.gif And they will be good i can assure you!

Ian

As time goes by without Jonsailor chiming in, I'm afraid that seems more and more likely. Some time ago in this thread he mentioned that he had spoken with Abby's father about some keel attachment issues. He may well be spending a lot of time on the phone to people in the States, and RCC Canberra.

It looks like I was wrong about the hull material, so hopefully Abby's safe inside the upturned hull and the jet will establish VHF comms soon.

That's a lot better than when I woke up to the news - when I heard the PLB was acitivated, I thought she was in the water and gone for all money.

Hopefully the US government will prosecute the parents and anyone involved in this trip for child endangerment for letting this child embark on this crazy adventure.

Hopefully the US government will prosecute the parents and anyone involved in this trip for child endangerment for letting this child embark on this crazy adventure.

Hopefully you will burst into flames in 4 seconds.

Well now that would kind of mean that someone SAW the boat. As the Airbus is still hours away from reaching that 20, it doesn't seem like a very reliable report.

The boat may well be upside down but having someone "report it" does not make sense unless SAT phone communication has been reestablished.

Rusalka

mate the first 70 pages in this thread make the points that you have raised over and over again and you really should read them if you want but for the moment this is not time or the place to begin the investigation , once she's rescued ( hopefully well) we can start the attacks!!wink.gif And they will be good i can assure you!

You ar