Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dixie

SATURDAY LIVE RACING: On-The-Water Anarchy in SF Bay

Watch this thread for reports from anarchists on the 3BF racecourse in San Francisco Bay...

The Three Bridge Fiasco has some incredible rules, ones that could drive most race committees and any novice racer up a wall. The salty sailors of San Francisco seem to love this race and basically everyone who sails will be there. With 359 boats registered, a starting line that goes either way, no set course and a finish line that also goes either way, the name of the race - Fiasco - seems comparatively mundane. The Three Bridges and associated marks are: Golden Gate (Blackaller Buoy) Bay Bridge (Treasure Island) and Richmond-San Rafael (Red Rock) and can be rounded in either direction.

War Dog started an anarchy fleet a few years ago - An Unofficial Anarchy Fleet he calls it, and is now up to 40 boats full of anarchists. Well not so full - this is a D/H or S/H race. In heavy air it would be a bear for two people to sail some of these boats around this 21 mile course with a heavy afternoon ebb tide, but this year's 3BF looks like it could be a drifter.

If the wind picks up, some of the folks who've been planning their course all week may change it from Counter Clockwise (Treasure Island, Red Rock, Blackaller) to Clockwise. Either way, the SAers are not just racing for fame and glory, but also for Rum and Tequila, along with some SA and H20 Shots swag.

This fun race has more participation than most sailing bodies of water ever see...something to think about if you're trying to get the boats out in your lake or bay.

For those of you on course who want to send in reports - have at it.

Clean, Photoboy and I have cobbled together a little plan and I am going to be out on with H2O Shots' Photoboy on his 20' red rib starting in the mid morning near TI and will send in reports from my Blackberry. You can call or write me, and we'll also be monitoring the "Unofficial" SA channel 72. Clean's gonna help with the posting.

Good luck y'all.

Dixie

DixieSail@gmail.com

305-951-6924

excellent! Don't forget that photoboy has offered an H20Shots t-shirt to the first three anarchists to show him a legible sign that says "Yankees S*ck" or "F*uck the D*dgers" on the water so he can shoot it.

Watch this thread for reports from anarchists on the 3BF racecourse in San Francisco Bay...

Great write up Dixie,

I'll be on the Got Wind and Water Photo Boat (no, we aren't competing with PhotoBoy, we have a different agenda). This Photo Boat is a Green Tartan 4600 named 'Gokuraku'.

I'll have my netbook computer with me, will be monitoring channel 72 - I'm hoping to be able to get online while passing through Raccoon Straits and will attempt to upload a photo of the 359 boats drifting around the starting line for all the SA'ers who will not be sailing in the race. I'm also going to attempt a shot of boats getting around the Blackaller (clockwise) with the Golden Gate in the background.

For more information on GOTWAW - www.gotwaw.com - for the GOTWAW event page go to - http://www.gotwaw.com/calendar/12213453/?s...tAction=editing

This is gonna be tits. Rain has stopped up here in Petaluma. Sounds like sun. I'm bringin my Speedo!

Not exactly on the water yet, I've uploaded some SailFlow Graphs to the Got Wind and Water 3BF pre-race photo album.

In the spirit of Valis, there are graphs for the GG Bridge, Pt. Blunt, TI and Corte Madera Channel.

There is also an intelecast mixed surface plot and the official Surface Anaylsis.

Here's the link:

http://www.gotwaw.com/photos/813931/12853129/#12853122

JaySea

0645. 3 to 5 kn in the south bay, blue sky. looks like rain on racecourse

Just picked up donuts for the crew. I slept in my foulies; it's race day.

Mrs. War Dog (and the puppies) are working on a sign. Time for a cup O joe then.........................

Boogity.......Boogity.............Boogity.....................LETS GO RACING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya out there!!

0720. berkeley, 2-4 kt, clouds disapating

exploratorium cam shows high water, little wind, a low dissipating cloud deck, and activity at the stfyc hoist

Holy shit - loading video to Youtube is so fast it just scared me. Why can't I have a connection like this on the water!!!!

From solosailor on Outsider:

exploritum cam showing at least 10 m24s rafted at the stfyc docks

very high water and glassy

however flags in the marina are showing some breeze from the east

exploritiunm cam -

the white m24 hooked to the white VW van is going in the water -- the blue open 5.7 (or whatever) has a jib up in the parking lot and is showing some breeze from the east

Nice Shot there from Aa! - I'm getting texts here -

First one from JaySea saying they are off and running in the GOTWAW boat up the estuary. The Tartan 4600 GUKuRAKRU turns out to have a WHITE Hull not green as previously thought.

Oh what a day.

Crew forgot food and was half hour late after retrieving it.

Then the motor died at Jack Lodon square. Kame gave us a tow till we could get it goiing again.

Mtoring up the city front there is enogh wind to hold the main out. Hope it holds till the start.

Woohoo a TBF race day.

Scot was disneylanding but I caught dawg and dixie's story is going up on front page now.

exploratorium cam

ebb has started on the beach - 9:20 - ten minutes to the first start

someone spooked the herd - and the m24s are leaving moore land at the st francis

exploratorium cam

glassy off crissy

all the wind on the water looks east

slack water @ harding

blackaller, hope it's right. time to run spin around

Another pic from Cento:

And the first start is underway thanks to Solosailor:

cento2.jpg

exploratorium cam

24 min after the first start - looks like the counter clockwise leaders are all the way up to the stfyc

Aa remind me what boat? And does someone have the link to the entry sheet at hand?

The Moore 24 fleet is heading towards the East from the start line, as wind fills in from the south.

anybody ever go redrock - TI - Blackaller?

Some will today!

someone spooked the herd - and the m24s are leaving moore land at the st francis

The wind at GG Bridge is 0.0 G 1. The wind over at Richmond is more interesting with 7.0 knots from 170 and a Gust of 8.9 and building.

From dixie:

It is truly a sight to behold - all the boats just inside the gg bridge slowing east toward TI.

We are up with the Moore fleet just west of TI. Scott Easom is leading on his boat - Eight Ball.

Conditions are partly sunny 5 to 8 out of the SW. Not too much chop. Kinda gorgeous.

exploratorium cam

big difference - east of GGYC - lots o east breeze

west @ crissy - glassy - with the outside boats showing the only movement

I think redrock - TI - Blackaller looks like a smart bet just now

From Dixie:

We are now poised just under the bay bridge. Its actually kinda warm here. I can here the traffic overhead but the boats are quiet. No traffic yet on 72.

Sailors actually have to go around Treasure island and its attached real island yerba buena. Then go back under the BB again then heading N toward Red Rock.

Everyone on the Moores is getting their poles out ready for a down hill run. Eight Ball is still leading

exploratorium cam

big difference - east of GGYC - lots o east breeze

west @ crissy - glassy - with the outside boats showing the only movement

I think redrock - TI - Blackaller looks like a smart bet just now

Gonna be tough to make the whole course with light east wind and max. ebb of 5.8 knots at 4 p.m.

post-10646-1264879415_thumb.png

Now this is OTWA old school!! Keep bringing it kids!

It's amazing how much easier it is while wearing a bathrobe and eating fried eggs and bacon with coffee.

More from Dixie:

1107 just hearing first calls on 72. A bit garbled but they sound happy.

We were just hailed by a tug / construction boat who's all upset about the boats going under the part of the Bay Bridge that's under construction. He called the RC on 68. They don't want boats hugging YB as they head north.

More from dixie:

Bad wabbit just under the BB - a nice hoist!

The gorgeous Yucca an old wooden boat just went by...skipper Hank Easom must be 75 or so now...

Phillipe Kahn on a j100 just chillin on the rail passing boats

And a start pic from her blackberry:

start.jpg

This is gonna be tits. Rain has stopped up here in Petaluma. Sounds like sun. I'm bringin my Speedo!

TMI, JP!!!!

Correction: not her blackberry - sent by someone else. Dixie says "mini-transat rolling by everyone with a lite kite up"

FUCK! I wish i was there. Bettering my education in Sacramento and stuck in class today. FUCK

Go Kris and Patrick on BOONDOGGLE - Make Wendy proud! You Guys ROCK!

Go Rob and Kristen on TIGER BEETLE - Hope you are having fun!

Go The Wendy!

Nancy

From Valis via Dixie:

In an incredible moment of strategic insight, we decided to loiter by

the start line an extra 45 minutes, pretending we were going to foul

anybody on starboard.

Clearing the pin by a mere 2 inches, we abandoned our initial plan

and headed for red rock since we believe it is warmer there.

Wind is about 8 knots and Jeff beck is playing.

Deep6 is on twist. The boat sorta stopped just under the western span of the BB. They are putting up a kite now to try and get out of the hole.

Solo sailer just whizzed by twist.

Just heard from War Dog and Pogen. They rounded Blackhaller at 1125 and are heading North to Red Rock sailing along with several Moores and Express 27s.

Bunch of photos uploaded here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2032...p;id=1193661819

This is a good one, from EVK4 on Valis:

A mouse ate our spinnaker, switching to cruising division . Halfway

to red rock, racing a catalina 22 ftw! Top panel pic - er, remnants of.

kite.jpg

Just stopped by Yucca - its one of 150 8 Meters ever made. Hank said he's had it for about 89 years and his crew said he's been sailing on it for 44. Gorgeous boat.

There are also a LOT of boats - as in 30 to 40 - who seem to be stuck up by Blackaller. The crew who rounded TI first know their lives must suck.

Still light here - maybe lighter. The biggest part of the ebb is still ahead. That's when the Red Rock river switches on.

Most of the boats seem to be doing TI RR BH route. A few are going clockwise and are pretty close to RR.

From Dixie:

We are coming up on Ay Caliente now who are going the other way - heading from RR going to TI. Not sure if they already rounded BH but my guess in No.

So crazy to see boats racing in totally opposite directions int he same race.

Just talked to Tinkerer 007 on Samba. They rounded RR first with they think about 20 or 30 other boats. On their way to TI now.

Just saw Mitch on a multihull. 'Hapa Girl'. He said they came around RR and is seeing boats where he does not want to see them. "We went the wrong way". And then he gave us 3 Heinikins. Bonus Points!

Alan, your reports without audio or video rock! Keep it going!

Alan, your reports without audio or video rock! Keep it going!

Cock.

This ain't mine anyways, I'm just Dixie's bitch.

They are listening to Jeff Beck on Dixie???!

Wasn't he that guy whose only claim to fame was launching Rod Stewart's career?

You know, Rod Stewart -- the guy who launched 10,000,000 mullets!

Dixie is the nickname of the reporter who decided to make OTW possible for this one.

More from Valis via dixie:

Wing and wing approaching red rock. Very little wind here, avoid this

area!

Btw, valis is big and white with lots of teak trim and more anchors

than spinnakers.

Scott Easom (hank his dad is on Yucca)just rounded Red Rock. We think he's the first boat to round two marks.

I am taking photos and will post them once I get over to GGYC and see the Nor Cal Sailing guys.

Drifter Alert.

The mains are not filling anymore over here at Red Rock by the Richmond Bridge. As driver dave said "we have sun, clouds and glassy reflections". Looks like the current is pushing us toward the bridge. The golden gate bridge.

Here comes Haggers in the Star. Drifting wing and wing toward Red Rock.

We are now enjoying adult beverages and talking about Spinner Island.

From Valis:

Rounding red rock with three thousand spinnakers heading our way.

Umm, now we have to go upwind?

Just heard from Layla on 72. They have just rounded BH and TI heading over to RR.

War Dog heard this and said "didn't you know you were supposed to go clockwise?"

Just saw double trouble make a simply gorgeous jibe.then they yelled oh fuck twice but we couldn't see anything wrong here. I have it on vid so we can see later.

exploratorium cam

west wind at crissy field - big wake on anita rock from the ebb

Sully sailing on a nice shiny black 5.5 says they were one of a very few escapees from the Blackaller craziness. They are still at least a mile from rounding their 2nd mark, Red Rock.

We are heading up behind Angel Island now to check out the guys still in sail jail.

Nice one Paige. I got a funny call from Ronnie Simpson a few minutes ago. He's about to splash his new boat (the singlehanded transpac one) in Alameda and he goes "are you here in a RIB dude?!!"

"No, I'm in a bathrobe," I answered.

Good times.

Just stopped by Yucca - its one of 150 8 Meters ever made. Hank said he's had it for about 89 years and his crew said he's been sailing on it for 44. Gorgeous boat.

From the Ditch.

557726244_SSnes-XL.jpg

557726365_MdQFT-XL.jpg

Yucca is one hell of a fine looking boat.

Thanks for sharing.

No idea from when this comes, but it's just past treasure island and I just got it from solosailor.

Heading to ggyc now. Uploads coming assuming Larry supplies free wifi.

edit: he does!

First around Treasure Island, First to round the 2nd Mark Red Rock and ultimately First to Finish....here's

Eight Ball - Scott Easom's Moore 24 (some call it a Moore 25) rounding the Red Rock.

IMG_0269.jpg

exploratorium cam

many boats working the relief on the shoreline downwind from BH - making ground too

More Moores (and one Star) heading toward the construction zone on the eastern span of the Bay Bridge

(by the way these are taken with my little Canon, so excuse the lackluster quality)

IMG_0196.JPG

Here's a random shot I just now got from the Race Deck at the GGYC of boats heading down from Blackaller to the finish line just off the deck here.

IMG_0003.JPG

from solosailor:

Very busy 2nd half.... Lots of position changes, very tough and gratifying.

CLEAN are you sure Scot isn't here????

Check out the crew on Mr. Magoo.

IMG_0261.JPG

One more report from Valis:

We have rounded TI and there is wind, bleased wind. Oh yeah, a favorable current too...yep, 8.3 sog!

Passed a bunch of boats going around ti the other way, not sure how that worked, they must have done blackaller first and excaped that parking lot.

We still have todo blackaller thanks to our unique crisscross strategy. Not many boats went the way we did, at least ones that started 45 minutes late that is.

Here they are going to Red Rock (they asked us to hurry before they took their pole down <_< )

IMG_0263.JPG

Anyone notice a couple of double-handed white J/24s out there?

I saw one...but not sure I got a shot of them. I'll look through and see.

As long as the bastards weren't sinking, I guess that's good ;) Two of the SF one-design fleet were out double-handed, so there should have been some good match racing going on, assuming they didn't hole one another.