Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tom13013

considering a j80

the j80 seems to be the mix of sport that i want and cruising which my family wants. hows it do in phrf? and any other suggestions of similar boats i might want to look at?

the j80 seems to be the mix of sport that i want and cruising which my family wants. hows it do in phrf? and any other suggestions of similar boats i might want to look at?

I love my J 80 and have even slept overnight on it. Not too bad for one person . For 2, not terrible. If the climate is o.k. you can spend your awake time in the cockpit and just sleep in the cabin. Bring aboard water jugs, a propane or butane stove, a 12 volt dvd player. It took me years to figure out that the porta potti is best placed on the quarter berth when using. Otherwise, it is way too low.

Good luck.

Not so much space below - show her the Andrews 28 and you'll be good. Seriously, the J/27 has a much more dual-purpose interior.

and check the hull/keel sump VERY CAREFULLY before signing !

try looking here.....

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=102617

I have to say though, I don't know of many 26 ft race oriented boats that you can cruise on, unless you go pocket cruiser/older design. You might need to get up to 30 ft or so.....

try looking here.....

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=102617

I have to say though, I don't know of many 26 ft race oriented boats that you can cruise on, unless you go pocket cruiser/older design. You might need to get up to 30 ft or so.....

+1

If you had of read J Anarchy for more then 40 second you would know J80's suck in PHRF.

As for cruising with the family, they are fantastic if you are a family of dwarfs that like to sleep on top of each other.

http://adventure.roxen.com/?category=1190924181-

Who says you can't do long distance cruising with a J80 - check out this link ...

I love my J 80 and have even slept overnight on it. Not too bad for one person . For 2, not terrible. If the climate is o.k. you can spend your awake time in the cockpit and just sleep in the cabin. Bring aboard water jugs, a propane or butane stove, a 12 volt dvd player. It took me years to figure out that the porta potti is best placed on the quarter berth when using. Otherwise, it is way too low.

Good luck.

... therefore it really depends where you live. If you are in Annapolis, Texas, San Diego or Long Island Sound, you have a decent One Design fleet showing up at enough events to have fun. The 80 is sailed best in OD races and you can have fun with a 135-150% jib and a decent PHRF rating for that in areas which have an average of 10-20kn of wind. In those conditions you can win - anything less than that, consider it a fun race, anything more you'll get smoked downwind.

If you had of read J Anarchy for more then 40 second you would know J80's suck in PHRF.

As for cruising with the family, they are fantastic if you are a family of dwarfs that like to sleep on top of each other.