Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Melgesmania

Moth Worldchampionships 2010

Discounted Registration till the 15 th of Febuary.

Just thought we should start a new topic up on this.

Below are some links to video's of the venue:

Wind will be light to medium (6-15 knots) maybe 18-20 if a Shamal (Low pressure system) comes through.

Any tips on getting up quickly onto the foils?

Any tips

don't let the harbor water get into your mouth, nose, ears, eyes, or any open wounds

wash your hands after getting out of the water

offshore is better - but you gotta come back to the harbor to get out

Any tips

don't let the harbor water get into your mouth, nose, ears, eyes, or any open wounds

We are sailing off the beach. Grass area is complete now so rigging there and carrying direct into the water. I started a thread on this a while ago. All looking sweet as a nut, annoucnment on PUMA party will be coming soon.

Will have a mixed bag of conditions.

You can pump a heap to get up on the foils but we have a full jury so depending on if u want to get flagged i guess two pumps per wave or gust of wind.

Any tips

We are sailing off the beach. Grass area is complete now so rigging there and carrying direct into the water. I started a thread on this a while ago. All looking sweet as a nut, annoucnment on PUMA party will be coming soon.

You can pump a heap to get up on the foils but we have a full jury so depending on if u want to get flagged i guess two pumps per wave or gust of wind.

Couple of quick questions.

Tides, big or small? Hopefully not as bad as the 3.2m hi-lo tide over 6hrs I had on the weekend with 15 knot wind against. Made for some "interesting" downwinds.

And water temp? Guessing shirt and shorts weather for sailing which will be quite nice.

Any tips

Tides, big or small? Hopefully not as bad as the 3.2m hi-lo tide over 6hrs I had on the weekend with 15 knot wind against. Made for some "interesting" downwinds.

And water temp? Guessing shirt and shorts weather for sailing which will be quite nice.

Tide always goes in the same direction due to the man made islands. Goes from right to left as you look at the sea. But minimal 0.5 knots at the most.

Yep ill be wearing shorty wet suit bottoms and rashies, but not for warmth. If its windy you will wanna have a thin wetty just in case you are a fair weather sailor like me.

Any tips

Tide always goes in the same direction due to the man made islands. Goes from right to left as you look at the sea. But minimal 0.5 knots at the most.

Yep ill be wearing shorty wet suit bottoms and rashies, but not for warmth. If its windy you will wanna have a thin wetty just in case you are a fair weather sailor like me.

Thanks, might get myself a spring suit as used to 30 degrees all year round.

What's up? You seem to be pushing the no pumping. I am not sure about if we have the rules correct. We have just had marginal foiling regatta and came to

some good conclusions. If you are touting a non foiling regatta perhaps a world championship of a foiling boat should be in foiling conditions and the rules should be there to help promote foiling versus hindering it.

My .02.

Who is your international jury? Every isaf world

championship has to have an international jury...

they prob have no experence with moths, and just saw the isaf rule 42 video

beware

What's up? You seem to be pushing the no pumping. I am not sure about if we have the rules correct. We have just had marginal foiling regatta and came to

some good conclusions. If you are touting a non foiling regatta perhaps a world championship of a foiling boat should be in foiling conditions and the rules should be there to help promote foiling versus hindering it.

My .02.

Bora,

The class has amended rule 42 to allow the same 2 pumps for foiling, the same as everyone gets for planing and surfing.

Moth races have been, and will continue to be sailed in sub foiling conditions like everyone else sometimes gets to race in sub planing conditions. Its the moth class not the foiling class after all. Because the last 5 years have been about developing better foiling boats some of sub foiling performance of older moths has been lost.

There will one day be a sub foiling regatta where an unexpected winner will pop up and we will learn that some old ideas were in fact better sometimes. So be it.

I think it will be a sad thing if the oldest modern dinghy class decides to only sail in winds over foiling strength when a huge part of the world's sailing population sail in places withouth such wind. We will be restricting the class to a limited number of venues and will end up spending most of our regatta time sitting waiting for wind just like the sailboard people do.

All that being sail we are about to start the process of selecting the Jury for the 2011 Belmont WC and will be steering away from known rule 42 zealots.

Have a great time in Dubai.

Phil S

So you patronize me then agree!! Haha, it was our judges that came to us and said the class has a major issue with rule 42 and that they did not want to make any calls on it.

Twice per wave when going upwind is a hell of a lot of pumping. Plus I think the rule only has something mentioned after atack or gybe.

http://www.moth-sailing.org/download/MTH2009_CR_050609.pdf

Page 4 has the stuff you are talking about.

And for those who can't be bothered reading the link:

"When surfing (rapidly accelerating down a wave) or foiling (sailing with the hull clear of the water due to the effect of hydrofoils) or planing is possible, the boat's crew may pull the sheet controlling the sail in order to initiate surfing, foiling or planing, but only twice for each wave or gust or just after having completed a tack or gybe."

The IJ zealots could DSQ the whole fleet if they really pushed this rule.

Nah man, im keen on full pumping to get up. I just remember a lot of people making a big fuss about it before and killing the class for older people. Im not going to bag anyone or give anyone a hard time. I'm keen for postponing it onshore if the sea breeze is late.

I didnt mean i want people to be flagged, i just think its more likely in a lighter air regatta. chill.

There was exemption in the USA btw not to have a full IJ. We dont have that this time.

Phil I forgot to mention I agree there will be a sub foiling race and that is why I practice in sub foiling a lot!

Drama in the Moth Class - Finally! Tell you what - we'll make sure we follow the judges around really closely...

Proposed Rule 42 amendment.

"If the body weight of the skipper buttus nakedus is less than 85 kilos then pumping is not permitted. if the skipper weighs more than 85 kilos in birthday sutus then they can pump as many times as they like, so as to promote calorie burning to reduce weight so pumping is not required. And because they just need all the help they can get."

Unless ISAF give you permission to run without one. Smaller classes can get dispensation.

here's the problem:

"but only twice for each wave or gust or just after having completed a tack or gybe"

does that mean:

but...

-only twice for each wave or gust or,

-just after having completed a tack or gybe.

or

but only twice...

-for each wave or gust or

-just after having completed a tack or gybe.

in other words, one reading says unlimited pumping after just having completed a tack or gybe.

everyone hates lowriding. so let's just not race until it is foiling conditions.

Suggest that running racing in all conditions improves the quality of the sailors and boats as they have to adapt to the conditions. By taking the approach of no racing till foiling conditions, the need to improve the ability to get up onto foils wouldn't be there.

Happy sailing,

Fish

everyone hates lowriding. so let's just not race until it is foiling conditions.

By that do you mean 7kts when the 60kg guys start to fly, 9kts when the 75kg guys start to fly or 10kts when the 95kg guys start to fly? Why not make it 15kts so everyone gets an equal go, except the light guys.

We would also end up with boats which would not sail at all as low riders.

Eventually we would only sail where there are stong winds, WCs only at Garda, Gorge and Perth?

Does not make much sense to me.

By that do you mean 7kts when the 60kg guys start to fly, 9kts when the 75kg guys start to fly or 10kts when the 95kg guys start to fly? Why not make it 15kts so everyone gets an equal go, except the light guys.

Eventually we would only sail where there are stong winds, WCs only at Garda, Gorge and Perth?

Option C please (the 10kt one).

And I agree on only sailing where there is consistenly decent wind, makes total sense to me.

Dave had no probs flying at StG last Sat in 6-8kts. He flew past me in a light patch that had to be 5knots max, as I had the crew sitting in upwind on the NS14 (we weigh 118kg i.e. light)

Admittedly, I did see him pumping more than twice to get it foiling, but once up, 5 knots true seemed to generate enough to keep flying, including doing circles around a buoy.

Funny thing No 1 - the rest of the moth fleet was lowriding or watching

Funny thing No 2 - Dave spent at least double the time on the water to the rest of the moth fleet that day. 3-4hrs compared to 90min for everyone else.

Just observations.

I can't believe that they are still trying to push this 2 pump per wave or gust BS.

No one adheres to it and No one has been thrown out for it.

Sounds pretty silly to have as a rule to me.

People will pump to get onto foils, the advantage is too great when up and flying.

Is there going to be enough jury members to find every pumper in a marginal race? I doubt it.

Wouldn't we be better with a rule that says "pumping is allowed to initiate foiling"

Much easier to police.

It's not like a sailboard where they 'air row' all the way round the course in light winds.

MJ

Admittedly, I did see him pumping more than twice to get it foiling, but once up, 5 knots true seemed to generate enough to keep flying, including doing circles around a buoy.

Funny thing No 1 - the rest of the moth fleet was lowriding or watching

Funny thing No 2 - Dave spent at least double the time on the water to the rest of the moth fleet that day. 3-4hrs compared to 90min for everyone else.

Just observations.

Dave's tacks are some of the best on the planet so he can stay up a lot longer than the average Joe .... for me, I was making about 40% of my gybes and that was a HUGE difference in racing positions.

I vote 10 knots as a minimum, but I am a bit of a wuss so can I get 15 knot maximum as well. :P

A good argument could be made that it is good seamanship to pump a moth onto foils in marginal conditions. Seamanship is an allowance in the RRS. Slow speed sailing isn't very manoeuvrable in a moth, especially with such small chord length rudders and centreboards.

Now if it is not foiling conditions, ie. less than marginal, continuous pumping should not be allowed.

Perhaps an increased number of pumps to induce foiling should be allowed in SI. If it fails to achieve lift-off then let the book be thrown.

Also, my reading of RRS doesn't allowing pumping upwind at all except for a roll tack to get back up to speed.

Pumping should be allowed to initiate and sustain foiling in marginal conditions. Otherwise what, we pump twice then sit there with our windward wing bar in the water going 0.0 knots and thinking about how much we love not foiling? I agree with Dave, no body likes to low-ride.

Most of the time I sail my moth in sub 10 knots and pumping is part of staying upright. Many times got to jump in and pump the boom as the sheet is too slow through the purchase to stay on the foils or stay up right.

Have race committee flag allowing pumping in marginal conditions (but not to the extent that we pump our way around the course like windsurfers) and when no flag revert to pumping rule?

LETS FACE IT WE ALL HATE LOWRIDING

+2

+ US moth class

I don't like lowriding any more than the next guy, but there are a few possible responses:

1. Agree to not race below a certain windspeed

2. develop boats that foil sooner

3. develop sailing skills that get (and keep) the boat foiling in less wind

Agreeing to not sail in light stuff decreases the incentive to develop faster Moths a la #2, or faster sailors a la #3.

So I'm not for a limit. Let some dude go out there with a super efficient set of foils and/or better takeoff skills and beat everybody by being the only guy who can foil. If he (or she) can pull it off, they deserve to win.

LETS FACE IT WE ALL HATE LOWRIDING

+2

+ US moth class

I don't like lowriding any more than the next guy, but there are a few possible responses:

1. Agree to not race below a certain windspeed

2. develop boats that foil sooner

3. develop sailing skills that get (and keep) the boat foiling in less wind

Agreeing to not sail in light stuff decreases the incentive to develop faster Moths a la #2, or faster sailors a la #3.

So I'm not for a limit. Let some dude go out there with a super efficient set of foils and/or better takeoff skills and beat everybody by being the only guy who can foil. If he (or she) can pull it off, they deserve to win.

or 4. you could just let people pump when they need to get foiling

Does anybody even show up with lowriders anymore? If so then need to make it fair for them as in every dog has it's day.

Been "lurking" around this debate for a couple of days, it is a tricky one, but here's my 2c worth on it based on my personal experience at the PCCs last weekend. We had one marginal day with three races, one full foiling, one partial foiling and one low riding. To give you context to my comments, I am a weekend warrior type of sailor, been out of dinghys for 20 years, but came back into sail a foiling Moth about 18 months ago, older than most and probaly not the fitest but:

I really enjoyed all three races.

Clearly the marginal race was the most difficult as some were foiling others weren't. "Strangely" the placings in the fleet weren't that different between marginal and full foiling races, i,e it wasn't that all the light weights came to the fore in the marginal, nor the best "pumpers and oochers". They were the best sailors full stop. The non foiling race was fun and really close, again fleet positions werent that different, I snuck up a few places by disconnecting the flap, which I am not sure you can do on a Mach 2.

So what did we learn:

• Hold a race as long as wind speed is above drfiting. Its fun, exciting, competitive and still best sailors win. If it really is that light hold fewer races on the day
  • In marginal wind allow full pumping / ooching, by suspending rule 42 (kinetics if I remember right). It's not that hard to do nor that physical. I was lucky to get some tips and it's much more about rig set up than physical strength, this isn't windsurfer racing. If you have the fitness and agility to sail the boat, you can do this, even me! Naturally better sailors and more practiced sailors are better at it, but hey get out there a train in light conditions.

This way we will have exciting foiling racing in marginal conditions and AVOID the bun fight of a Jury trying police 2 pumps per wave tack gybe etc across 50 plus boats. As I said, my 2c and from the middle of the fleet, time to move with the times, stick with our Class ethos of being a development class and "free up" the racing of these truely awesome boats....

Flame away! :lol:

You gotta watch it, though - once you allow pumping, it DOES become extremely physical once top sailors get to grip with it and become better and better at it.

I was in windsurfers when the rules against pumping were first suspended. Even at the Raceboard Worlds, people just did a few pumps and "it wasn't hard to do nor that physical". But within a few months, pumping developed to the stage where it was hard to do and VERY physical. These days, racing in light or marginal winds in the classes that allow pumping requires about as much physical effort as bike racing, on top of all the rest of all the effort - and windshifts are ignored in favour of just pumping out to the layline. Some rigs are designed for better pumping power, which makes them biatches in a breeze, and the physical effort is such that classes have to restrict the number of light-air races per day to stop top sailors killing themselves by dehydration.

We foresaw none of those issues in boards when we decided to allow pumping, and we let a rather nasty genie out of the box with serious effects on the sport. What you will get if you allow pumping may be nothing like what you foresee.

I'm not in Moths anymore, but just thought I'd mention it.

You gotta watch it, though - once you allow pumping, it DOES become extremely physical once top sailors get to grip with it and become better and better at it.

I was in windsurfers when the rules against pumping were first suspended. Even at the Raceboard Worlds, people just did a few pumps and "it wasn't hard to do nor that physical". But within a few months, pumping developed to the stage where it was hard to do and VERY physical. These days, racing in light or marginal winds in the classes that allow pumping requires about as much physical effort as bike racing, on top of all the rest of all the effort - and windshifts are ignored in favour of just pumping out to the layline. Some rigs are designed for better pumping power, which makes them biatches in a breeze, and the physical effort is such that classes have to restrict the number of light-air races per day to stop top sailors killing themselves by dehydration.

We foresaw none of those issues in boards when we decided to allow pumping, and we let a rather nasty genie out of the box with serious effects on the sport. What you will get if you allow pumping may be nothing like what you foresee.

I'm not in Moths anymore, but just thought I'd mention it.

Get what your saying but the Moth is a different beast, once your on foils and generating apparent I'm not so sure the need to keep pumping....

whats so wrong about unlimited pumps to initiate foiling?

the 470 class allows unlimited pumping downwind to initiate planning.

Ian, what may turn out to be wrong with it is that it may end up being unlimited pumping, all the time. Which could mean that older sailors get burned off, and that you have to restrict the number of light air races (as the boards did after they got medical advice that not doing so could end up in sailors karking it from dehydration). And you may get sailors just pumping straight out to the layline, tacking and coming back in, ignoring windshifts because it's faster to sail a knock than tack (as you do in boards). And unrestricted pumping can make things like straight-leg Laser hiking and bike racing seem like comfortable, painless ways to spend the day. Unrestricted pumping can really fucking hurt, and why risk making sailing more painful?

Yeah, 470s pump - but isn't that only in certain conditions and directions? And are the Olympic 470 programmes necessarily the thing that the Moth class wants to emulate? What works for full time sailors may not work for a class trying to be more popular and to attract hot amateur sailors.

Whether that would in fact happen is another thing. As Black Pearl says, things may work differently in Moths. Formula boards don't pump much. Interestingly, one of the reasons Formula boards are around is that they are partly a reaction to the fact that most windsurfer classes allowed pumping, which turned many people off those classes and towards a new class (Formula) where it wasn't a factor.

On the other hand, even if pumping doesn't make a huge difference today, it's possible that once someone like AMAC gets into it, you may end up with gear designed to allow unrestricted pumping (which is often fucking awful to do) to work.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a problem, and as the only Moth I have is an old scow sitting under a decking, I'm just trying to give a perspective from someone who sails pumping classes. All I'm saying is that maybe the potential downsides (now and in the future) should be considered if rule changes are under discussion.

Chris,

I think this is the only place that pumping is being discussed. The moth class had a discussion a few years back and added foiling, tacking and gybing to the allowed list for two pumps per Rule 42. To date no one has had an issue with protests or jury so until that happens there is no incentive to change anything.

But if conditions in Dubai or other big event highlight a problem, then something more might need to be done.

This started out as a discussion about wind limits, which also has become contentious.

Like most other older moth sailors any future move to unlimited pumping will destroy my moth interest and commitment. Like past perceived dangerous developments which were banned (sailboards, catamarans, trapezes) I see unlimited pumping as a fundamental change in the class.

Phil S

FYI the exact IMCA rule is

12.1 RRS 42.3© is amended to read: When surfing (rapidly accelerating down a wave) or foiling (sailing with the hull clear of the water due to the effect of hydrofoils) or planing is possible, the boat’s crew may pull the sheet controling the sail in order to initiate surfing, foiling or planing, but only twice for each wave or gust of wind or just after having completed a tack or a gybe.

I notice that this states nothing about skipper body movement.

12.1 RRS 42.3© is amended to read: When surfing (rapidly accelerating down a wave) or foiling (sailing with the hull clear of the water due to the effect of hydrofoils) or planing is possible, the boat’s crew may pull the sheet controling the sail in order to initiate surfing, foiling or planing, but only twice for each wave or gust of wind or just after having completed a tack or a gybe.

right, so body pumping remains illegal...

right, so body pumping remains illegal...

Exactly ... In my experience aggressive body movement is just as big a part of pumping to initiate foiling as sheet movement is ....

In the past it was pointed out that pumping continuously was exhausting and us old guys would not be able to hack it. I like the idea of having a sport where the least fit is advantaged by the rules. (It is like the Olympics fat boys bath tub race.)

However I think that the rule at the moment is impossible to police so I will be developing my air rowing so I can try to keep up with the athletes.

We either have on the water jury and protests and arguments about different movements or we say do what you want and develop techniques and equipment to make the boats as fast as possible.

I also that that we have to acknowledge that pumping is best done when it is skillfully done.

Something for the AGM I think.

Doug

That is proven to be BS by the number of scows and skiffs still competing in club and state events. They mostly don't bother going to national or world championships because of attitudes like that.

Eventually we would only sail where there are [strong] winds, WCs only at Garda, Gorge and Perth?

Couldn't agree more (though where I sail is consistently over 10kn). If Moths only race in 10~30kn then pretty quickly the skiffs and scows will split into their own class and race by themselves. I think that would be a tragedy for Mothing.

Also, light wind is the only time mugs like me get to race with the fast guys on almost even terms. It means those gun skiff sailors who swap to foilers have to keep their low-rider skills up to speed or they'll find themselves at the back of the fleet. Or is that the point? Having got to the front by perfecting foiling, are they now one-trick-ponies who've forgotten how to sail in light air? Are they too chicken to tack into a lee-bow, or try driving over or under another boat?

Races should start if the 10 minute average wind is 5kn or more, the upper limit should be 20kn or maybe 25kn. Set the upper limit higher at nationals or worlds perhaps, but don't raise the lower limit.

In regard to pumping, my memory of the rule from a few years ago was once per wave to promote planning down waves with the implicit condition that it was only downwind (hard to surf down waves upwind, except in exceptional conditions). I suspect the rule was updated to include foiling without realising that it opened the door to upwind pumping, but only if you have a foiler. Previously, the only form of pumping upwind was roll-tacking - you can try that once per wave if you like but I doubt you can tack fast enough to do it. Twice is a practical impossibility in smooth or semi-smooth water. Personally, I couldn't care less about pumping, but do not want it to become the primary means of propulsion.

Seems to me that it isn't an issue at the moment, so wait until it is and deal with it then.

--

Rob

looks like I may be there for at least the middle weekend

will the club be open to visitors? - or will I need to get someone to put my name on the list? (and me pay the 10 dh)

Pete I am there all week so consider yourself on the list. yes you have to pay (fuck knows why the english management still insist on making the club members guests pay to have the use of the club as a guest of a member? fucked rule if you ask me).

moths? nice boat do they make them for men?

Pete I am there all week so consider yourself on the list.

thx DD - look fwd to seeing ya

ha ha - I'm gonna' get me one when they come out in men's sizes

Pete I am there all week so consider yourself on the list. yes you have to pay (fuck knows why the english management still insist on making the club members guests pay to have the use of the club as a guest of a member? fucked rule if you ask me).

You have the life Desert...!

You have the life Desert...!

life is not always as it seems PIL, but in this case it's pretty close

will the club be open to visitors? - or will I need to get someone to put my name on the list? (and me pay the 10 dh)

You can be on my list and my bar tab if you come and do some guest commentary for us.

We are at the airport right now, boarding in 10 minutes for Dubai. Damn I hope it's warm.

You can be on my list and my bar tab if you come and do some guest commentary for us.

We are at the airport right now, boarding in 10 minutes for Dubai. Damn I hope it's warm.

nope it's cold and blowing so you can be assured of no wind and hot come regatta time. sorry for the bad news. good news is that you are still going to be blown away by this place.

looks like i can be at the club saturday the 13th at least

looks coolish this week - and warmer next week

welcome to the 12 hour time change - at least from california

you still got the same ph# alan? me and dingo will stand around and give you a hard time

nope it's cold and blowing so you can be assured of no wind and hot come regatta time. sorry for the bad news. good news is that you are still going to be blown away by this place.

Well at the moment i am blown away by the third-world internet speeds and 12$ for a meager vodka and rocks. But after 26 hours of travel at least I am in a comfy bed!

Pete and DD I will update this thread with my local phone number as soon as I stick a SIM card in my phone. My SA email is acting up right now so you can hit me through alan@blocksail.com or on skype at Blocksail.

Look forward to seeing you both!

oh my... clean in dubai... this could get ugly!

are there any diplomat anarchists? if so, we may need you to negotiate a prisoner swap!

ps- dont forget to register with the US embassy

Well at the moment i am blown away by the third-world internet speeds

it'a a slow pipe out of the arab world - shoulda been there when a single Greek freighter dragged anchor over the fiber optic cable in the med

all porn sites and sites with questionable content are blocked too

12$ for a meager vodka and rocks.
43 Dh? Sounds right for a double in the hotel bar

most bars should be about 25 Dh for a pint of beer (7 bucks)

you can also get a license to buy alcohol from the unmarked liquor stores

How does Sailing Anarchy get through then?

good question .... shhhhhhhh...

I think the girl pics sneak in under the radar - the questionable content tho---i dunno

If you are bored waiting for the worlds to start, we put Mothcast show #13 up last week featuring part 1 of our chat with Bora, Anthony Boscolo and Matt Pistay. We discussed the relative performance of the Bladerider compared to the Mach 2, as well as Bora's preparations and the equipment that he will be using in the defence of his world title. Part 2 will be up next week.

If you are bored waiting for the worlds to start, we put Mothcast show #13 up last week featuring part 1 of our chat with Bora, Anthony Boscolo and Matt Pistay. We discussed the relative performance of the Bladerider compared to the Mach 2, as well as Bora's preparations and the equipment that he will be using in the defence of his world title. Part 2 will be up next week.

Just pointing out your website won't download files if you're viewing through Safari/Mac.

ps- dont forget to register with the US embassy

umm...yeah, I think I'll stay away from that.

Just pointing out your website won't download files if you're viewing through Safari/Mac.

That's strange, because I use a mac and safari myself ... if you are running snow leopard, quicktime 10 needs to fully load the show before you can download it, if not you can right click and save as. If that doesn't work, you can get it from itunes, just search for mothcast.

entry list:

Open (24 entries)

o

Bora Gulari, USA, Current World Ranking, 1

o

Arnaud Psarofaghis, SUI, Current World Ranking, 3

o

Dalton Bergen, USA, Current World Ranking, 4

o

Simon Payne. GBR, Current World Ranking 5

o

Scott Babbage, AUS, Current World Ranking, 7

o

Brad Funk, USA, Current World Ranking, 8

o

Rob Gough, AUS, Current World Ranking, 9

o

Andrew Macdougall, AUS, Current World Ranking 12

o

Chris Graham, UAE, Current World Ranking 13

o

Adam May, GBR, Current World Ranking, 14

o

George Peet, USA, Current World Ranking, 15

o

Mark Robinson, SIN, Current World Ranking, 16

o

Glenn 'The Great White Hope' Raphael, UAE, Current World Ranking, 20

o

Mikis Psarofaghis, SUI, Current World Ranking 27

o

James Cole, SIN, Current World Ranking 40

o

Magnus Gravare, SWE

o

Jonny Marshall, UAE

o

Rob Fordyce, UAE, NZL

o

Richard Davies, USA

o

Jean-Pierre Ziegert, SUI

o

Mike Lennon, GBR

o

Alex Adams, GBR

o

Simon Savage, UAE

o

Marc Bruegger, UAE

Junior (2 entries)

o

Alex Buerger, UAE

o

Marcel Herrera, UAE

Women (3 entries)

o

LIndsey Bergen, USA, Current World Ranking 32

o

Kerstin Sommer, UAE

o

Emma Aspington, SWE

Thats not the entry list!! There are alot more boats there:

Name Nationality Boat Make Sail Number Class M/F

Adam May UK Mach 2 GBR 3604 Open M

Alex Adams UK Full Force GBR 4082 Open M

Alexander Buerger Germany Bladerider UAE 3276 Junior M

Andrew McDougall Australia Mach2 AUS 3380 Masters M

Arnaud Psarofaghis Switzerland Mach 2 SUI 3 Open M

Ben Crocker Australia Prowler Zero AUS 3262 Open M

Bora Gulari USA Mach 2 USA 1 Open M

Brad Funk USA Mach 2 USA 3677 Open M

Chris Graham UK Mach 2 UAE 3679 Open M

Dalton Bergan USA Mach 2 USA 4 Open M

Dion Houghton HK Mach two HKG 3672 Open M

Dirk Weiblen German Mach 2 CHN 3637 Masters M

Dougie Imrie UK Bladerider GBR 3335 Junior M

Emma Aspington Sweden Bladerider SWE 3125 Women F

George Peet USA Mach 2 UAE 3615 Open M

Glenn Raphael Australia Mach 2 UAE 3680 Open M

James Cole Aust Mach 2 SIN 3711 Open M

James Phare UK Mach 2 GBR 3717 Open M

Jean-Pierre Ziegert Switzerland Mach 2 SUI 3392 Masters M

Jeroen Leenen Netherlands Bladerider UAE 24 Masters M

Jonathan Peats UK Bladerider GBR 3495 Open M

Kerstin Sommer Germany Bladerider UAE 3300 Women F

Lindsay Bergan USA Mach 2 USA 3592 Women F

Magnus Gravare Sweden Bladerider SWE 3279 Masters M

Marc Bruegger Switzerland Fastacraft UAE 3665 Masters M

Marcel Herrera Germany Bladerider X8 UAE 3231 Junior M

Mark Robinson Singapore Mach 2 SIN 3700 Open M

Martin Gravare Sweden Mach 2 SWE 3666 Masters M

Mauro Bettazza Switzerland Bladerider SUI 9362 Masters M

Michael Lennon UK Mach 2 GBR 3708 Open M

Mikis Psarofaghis Switzerland Mach 2 SUI 3623 Open M

Paul Hayden UK Mach 2 GBR 3632 Open M

Per Eskilson Sweden Bladerider X8 SWE 3140 Masters M

Philip Kasermann Switzerland Bladerider X8 SUI 3250 Open M

Richard Davies UK Bladerider X8 GBR 3431 Masters M

Ricky Tagg UK Mach 2 GBR 3594 Masters M

Rob Fordyce NZ Assassin UAE 3647 Open M

Rob Gough Australia Mach 2 AUS 9 Open M

Scott Babbage Australia Mach 2 AUS 7 Open M

Simon Payne UK Mach 2 GBR 5 Masters M

Simon Savage Australia Bladerider UAE 3357 Open M

Tim Penfold UK Mach 2 GBR 3607 Open M

Tomaz Copi Slovenia Mach 2 SLO 3712 Open M

Zack Maxam USA Mach 2 USA 3683 Open M

Some lovely pre-event pics from a lovely girl...

wheres the manly hairy turkish winning machine???

You had to ask. We can't get away from this guy! This is the view from our hotel window.

BORA TOWERS.jpg

go AMAC! Show us old guys how to do it, Andrew.

25 mach 2s on the line. Out only one year.

My new KAs for this windsurfing season are on the way. AMACs other artform.

ed

Man that was some serious carnage!!!

Two races sailed for the (pre-worlds) UAE Nationals in 20 knots and some of the shortest, gnarliest seas I've seen this side of Lake Erie. Lots of carnage, a handful of broken bits and pieces, and the World Champ pitching headfirst through his (now practice) mainsail. Good times, and video a comin'

First race was Arnaud, Chris Graham, Bora, then I forget who. Truth is that there wasn't really much 'racing' - it was more about keeping upright in the nasty chop. At one top mark, video of which is coming, the 2nd through 6th boats all capsized on the reach leg. Then Dalton nearly t-boned Bora. Good times.