• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HeloDriver

J28?

I owned one for a couple years, nice cruising boat for a couple. Sails well in breeze but not a very good light air boat. If you are looking for a small cruising boat I'd recommend it, not a racer though..pretty slow.

I owned one for a couple years, nice cruising boat for a couple. Sails well in breeze but not a very good light air boat. If you are looking for a small cruising boat I'd recommend it, not a racer though..pretty slow.

I've been sailing on one for about 20 years. Very nice boat - faster than any cruising boat up to 35 feet, comfortable cockpit, enough room in the cabin, no significant problems. Anythin specific you want to know?

I've been sailing on one for about 20 years. Very nice boat - faster than any cruising boat up to 35 feet, comfortable cockpit, enough room in the cabin, no significant problems. Anythin specific you want to know?

Just guessing, but I'd doubt it's faster than a J30, J32, J33, or J34c. And that's just in J Boats past line up. Pretty bold statement saying it's faster than any cruising boat up to 35 feet.

Just guessing, but I'd doubt it's faster than a J30, J32, J33, or J34c. And that's just in J Boats past line up. Pretty bold statement saying it's faster than any cruising boat up to 35 feet.

PHRF Rating is about the same as a J-24's. Faster then most cruiser/racers of the same size/vintage (Pearson 28-2, Tartan 28, Catalina 28, etc., and many older 30 footers (Tartan 30, Oday 30, Pearson 30, etc). I'd say the J32/34C are legitimate cruisers, but the 30/33 are on the racer/cruiser side of things, and not as fair a comparison. Your point, however, is valid. There are a fair number of sub 35ft cruising boats that are faster.

+1

Really Ugly boat too.

+1

Really Ugly boat too.

What 28 foot cruising boat with standing headroom that rates 168 ish is better looking?

+1

Really Ugly boat too.

What 28 foot cruising boat with standing headroom that rates 168 ish is better looking?

Cal 28-2

Laser 28

Roughly the same or better performance. The J28's stern section is not good looking at all. The 32 & 42 has a better looking one

+1

Really Ugly boat too.

mac 26 :P

I think they are pretty nice looking boats, especially for a 28 footer. Nice sailing boats too. However, the 34c is a better choice(why would I think that????)

DD

+1

Really Ugly boat too.

Andrews28

+1

Really Ugly boat too.

Andrews28

+1000

j28rudder.jpg

Talked to a few owners and for some reason they went with a complex HIGH DOLLAR (for a 28')rudder that can be fun

The problem with that rudder set up is the Harken bearings were junk. If they have not been replaced, they will have to be. I've owned a j/37 and now a j/34c and both had bearing issues. I now have the jefa bearings and no issues. The Harkens locked up solid and would not turn at all. This is a "must fix" on any J/boat with harkens that has seen salt.

DD

pics or it doesnt exist...

like the front page

The Andrews 28 is pretty spartan compared to the J28.

AND the Andrews is just as ugly as the J28. WAY too high of freeboard.

In 28 feet its hard to get standing headroom without some freeboard. In a light boat like the Andrews...its even harder. But not too many people these days will buy a boat and use it for cruising without the standing headroom part. Not to say it can't be done, or that many haven't already done it. Just that it won't sell today as a cruising boat 'less you can standup in it.

Don't think the Andrews meant as a cruiser anyway...its more a racer that one can comfortably weekend/overnight. Or have 4 guys stay on during an away regatta.

The Andrews rates 168 ish?

A quick web search found an article on the Andrews that quotes a Vancouver PHRF of 89. 168 doesn't seem right at all.

I've owed one for 7 years now. Beer can wednesday nite and some weekend racing with dacron sails. The boat will compete PHRF with any crusiing boat under 35'. I regularly complete againest a C&C 33, (beat them), a C&C 35 (flip a coin)and an Ericson 32, (70/30 I win) I can fly a chute with three guys and cruise to BI for a four day weekend in comfort. In this catagory of sailing it's ususlly the sailor not the boat that wins

You will be hard pressed to find a better 28' boat package. My next boat will be a 34c or 35 c when I can afford the 2x price.

I've owed one for 7 years now. Beer can wednesday nite and some weekend racing with dacron sails. The boat will compete PHRF with any crusiing boat under 35'. I regularly complete againest a C&C 33, (beat them), a C&C 35 (flip a coin)and an Ericson 32, (70/30 I win) I can fly a chute with three guys and cruise to BI for a four day weekend in comfort. In this catagory of sailing it's ususlly the sailor not the boat that wins

You will be hard pressed to find a better 28' boat package. My next boat will be a 34c or 35 c when I can afford the 2x price.

jfdubu,

Where do you sail out of?

~ psyklik

Narragansett bay, Wickford YC wednesday series, weekend stuff

jfdubu,

Where do you sail out of?

~ psyklik