Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hart

J80's

I'm looking at purchasing a 26 foot boat, and have narowed down the options to a J80 and the Mac 26.

I'm told that the Mac planes, and also has good cabin space which would be good as I want to week-end with my family.

it also has the advantage that it doesn't need sails, so running costs might be less than the 80?

on the flip side, I can't find an IRC/SBR rating for the Mac, and would dearly love to know what it might be, and also there is the issue of residual value, and I think the J boat scores on that one

I would be interested to hear any opinions as I have searched SA for all of 1 sec and found nothing on either boat.

Since they're nearly identical in every respect, either one would be a good choice.

I'd lean a bit towards the Mac because the twin rudders and water ballast make it sail a lot like a Mini. This means you could race it across the Atlantic in odd-numbered years. That would be fun.

It's hard to argue against the 80's drop-keel though.

Since they're nearly identical in every respect, either one would be a good choice.

I'd lean a bit towards the Mac because the twin rudders and water ballast make it sail a lot like a Mini. This means you could race it across the Atlantic in odd-numbered years. That would be fun.

thanks very much, I really appreciate your insightful input. Now I have all the data I need, this has now brought me very close to a final decision.

My mates tell me that folding sails after sailing is a real pain, so I'm leaning a bit Mac-wards I have to say.

wait a minute, the mac comes in blue as well as white...that has to be the clincher!!

I wonder if there are upholstery options as well? Let me try the search function......

thanks very much, I really appreciate your insightful input. Now I have all the data I need, this has now brought me very close to a final decision.

My mates tell me that folding sails after sailing is a real pain, so I'm leaning a bit Mac-wards I have to say.

wait a minute, the mac comes in blue as well as white...that has to be the clincher!!

I wonder if there are upholstery options as well? Let me try the search function......

If you read the forums here at all, for like 3 to 12 seconds, you will see that the J/80 is a phrf killer, enjoying a rating it should not have, and it will easily beat 45 foot boats going to windward.

I'm looking at purchasing a 26 foot boat, and have narowed down the options to a J80 and the Mac 26.

I'm told that the Mac planes, and also has good cabin space which would be good as I want to week-end with my family.

it also has the advantage that it doesn't need sails, so running costs might be less than the 80?

on the flip side, I can't find an IRC/SBR rating for the Mac, and would dearly love to know what it might be, and also there is the issue of residual value, and I think the J boat scores on that one

I would be interested to hear any opinions as I have searched SA for all of 1 sec and found nothing on either boat.

Please tell me that this is a Joke!!!

Please tell me that this is a Joke!!!

Okay.

This is a joke.

next time I should wait until the morning of March 32nd I guess.....