Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

33rd Cup - Race 1

second hand report:

Wind at weather mark is 220 deg at 8.5 knots

» At start at 1.5 knots

» This from PJM on SkySport

So, was anybody else extremely impressed by the commentators schpiel about keels? I for one never knew that the big lead thingy at the bottom of the skinny thingy was used to keep the boat upright. I was under the impression that sailboats stayed upright by magic.

In other news, it's nice to know I'm not the only schmuck who's still up at 4:30 watching this bloody race. I thought that Long Island Sound had exclusive rights on painfully long postponements.

who wants a latte?

is this a disaster? people would tune in to see images of a boat drifting and no commentary. what about some pre-recorded stuff, this will just turn people off.

Believe it or not we have a room full of people watching in PA streaming from aup.com on the projector and listening to some woman gargle on the speakers!

thanks for being here y'all. any problems?

Only that alot of peeps are having trouble finding this as the chat thread Scot.

how's that again?

maybe bc the first 2 links on the fp go to the special report page but there is no vid there just the justin.tv side bar

Good morning SA brethren.

For me the ESPN360 link is the fastest and most pause/glitch free.

I am so tired, cant decide if I should brew a pot of coffee or wait to see if I am going to get to go back to sleep till 7.30. Tough choices.

How bout them Saints.

I wonder if the choppers have to re-fuel? What's their flight time?

What's the spaniard saying?

is this a disaster? people would tune in to see images of a boat drifting and no commentary. what about some pre-recorded stuff, this will just turn people off.

Like the last two and a half years hasn't done that already?

I just know someone on the water in Valencia is saying.... "It's never like this here"

Great line!

this is turning into a world-wide circle jerk...

who wants a latte?

What do you mean no commentary. I get to hear someone that sounds like Alvin from the chipmunks blather on in lord knows what language.

Maybe this was what BB was talking about when he said that BMWOR had a secret plan to stop racing today.

In other news, it's nice to know I'm not the only schmuck who's still up at 4:30 watching this bloody race. I thought that Long Island Sound had exclusive rights on painfully long postponements.

No, we can go toe-to-toe with you here on Tampa Bay, on occasion.

We have had breeze on into the 20's over the weekend. The J24's should have loved it at the mids................

Believe it or not we have a room full of people watching in PA streaming from aup.com on the projector and listening to some woman gargle on the speakers!

Just think you could be listening the Gary Jobson babbling on top of it all if you had the ESPN360 feed up

thanks for being here y'all. any problems?

Only that alot of peeps are having trouble finding this as the chat thread Scot.

how's that again?

A lot of peeps were scanning Ac forum looking for the chat thread I have posted a link to here.

It worked. The user count went from 180 to 350 in about 2 min .

who wants a latte?

http://espn.go.com/broadband/espn360/playe...mp;league=NCAAM

Try the espn360 link above. Live commentary, not bad coverage considering the lack of action. Right now it seems to be the best going.... Go to "live now" and it will show. I needed to download the player system, but no big deal.

Randy Smythe and Gary Jobson commentating BTW

SB

who wants a latte?

What do you mean no commentary. I get to hear someone that sounds like Alvin from the chipmunks blather on in lord knows what language.

i know - wtf is that???

Just think you could be listening the Gary Jobson babbling on top of it all if you had the ESPN360 feed up

Instead we have Charlie Brown's Mom talking in some foreign language

So, was anybody else extremely impressed by the commentators schpiel about keels? I for one never knew that the big lead thingy at the bottom of the skinny thingy was used to keep the boat upright. I was under the impression that sailboats stayed upright by magic.

this is just like racing. I slept poorly for 4 hrs., I'm now up, my head hurts, it's clod, there's no wind and boat are just bobbing around.

Deep breaths fellow junkies. What's a sailing race without a postponement or two? We've been waiting a long time for this, we can manage another hour.

Drumming now..............................does that indicate a firing squad??

this is just like racing. I slept poorly for 4 hrs., I'm now up, my head hurts, it's clod, there's no wind and boat are just bobbing around.

I am officially bored & that takes some doing.

I was perfectly happy watching the boats flopping around with no commentary but this chick could at least fake an orgasm for us or something damnit!

Good morning SA brethren.

For me the ESPN360 link is the fastest and most pause/glitch free.

I am so tired, cant decide if I should brew a pot of coffee or wait to see if I am going to get to go back to sleep till 7.30. Tough choices.

How bout them Saints.

same here.

wasn't Clean going to do a live show? all i got is a slideshow with poorly timed music (music starts 3 minutes into the list of sponsors).

-m

More coffee? Beer? Bailey's and coffee? None of the above and back to sleep? Blow off work?

Gus, what would you recommend?

I hope the bar is open! Turn on OTW Anarchy discussion.

is there a live ticker i can follow from my pc at work? (no java, streaming, ...)

thanks

(go BOR, greetings from switzerland)

Twitter might be best

http://twitter.com/33acup

http://twitter.com/Alinghiteam

http://twitter.com/bmworacle2010

Seems to be an ac33 tag as well that is being used

http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23AC33

Schoonerman says that all you lame-asses need to stay up with us here at the GGYC and HTFU.

Also this came from the chat thread: womper= wing of massive power ernesto run!

'Copters passing each other. Must be re-fueling time..........................

Any on the water feeds? The americascup.com site seems to have gone to a web cam on shore... Even drifting boats would be better than cold folks milling around aimlessly under a cloudy sky... :(

I am officially bored & that takes some doing.

I was perfectly happy watching the boats flopping around with no commentary but this chick could at least fake an orgasm for us or something damnit!

Seriously...I was much happier watching bobbing boats pretending that I had a clue as to where the wind was so that I could pretend to know when this was going to start....

While we are just pissing around here, who is this female, is she the one talking?

33_AC_PRE_RACING_PHOTO_BY_MEREDITH_BLOCK_14.jpg

i thought there was no "lower" wind limits. Surely A5 wants to start now???

Like watching fucking grass grow

Deep breaths fellow junkies. What's a sailing race without a postponement or two? We've been waiting a long time for this, we can manage another hour.

So you're totally cool sitting here listening to some schmuck yelling in espanol and playing tribal drums like they're about to eat some tourist? :P

Feed EB to the natives :lol:

up all night

coffee no longer effective

it's Miller time (actually a brew of more honored lineage)

will sleep when dead

The main point of the discussion was that the BULB from BMWO's V5 boat weighed the same as both these boats COMBINED which is actually an interesting factiod

i thought there was no "lower" wind limits. Surely A5 wants to start now???

Surely you're right, but the fact that it's not consistent over the course is more likely the hangup.

Whichever boat reaches the breeze first wins, almost a coin flip. Gotta wait for it to fill in.

Anyone freezing their tits off in East Coast USA? Commiserations if the weather is giving you grief.

It's bloody humid here in Sydney, but I'm not complaining.

All the leaves are brown......................and the skies are grey.........................I just went for a walk.............on a winter's day..........................California Dreaming, on such a Winters daaaaayyyy.................

we all must be nuts.

357 people, most up at the crack of dawn, on this thread discussing the images from a boring webcam half a world away.

we all need help.

-m

Its -3c here in helsinki! The warmest its been in along time!

I might go skiing and check back after lunch....

Still too early for beer :)

Anyone freezing their tits off in East Coast USA? Commiserations if the weather is giving you grief.

It's bloody humid here in Sydney, but I'm not complaining.

Sounds like the Lucy show - with Bobalu(?) on the bongos! Go Ricky!! And Lucy's fake spanish.
Spanish game show...without the hot senoritas.

Any guesses on the length of the postponement? I'd like to go back to bed and reset my alarm for, say 1.5 hours

Just noticed on the americascup.com feed, the background shows BMWO leading Alinghi...

I'm gonna be hearing that drumming and the Charlie Brown teacher voice for days, thank you very much.

The BMWO livestream has a header saying racing at 9 EST (been like that all night)

did I mention its almost 2 AM? not sure what I am typing

we all must be nuts.

357 people, most up at the crack of dawn, on this thread discussing the images from a boring webcam half a world away.

we all need help.

-m

enlighten us! Oh almighty!

Thanks to everyone who is making this coverage happen

Sat at LHR T3 - 60 mins to take off then 14hrs out of contact ! Buggar, looks like I'll have to watch the highlights ...

I'm here at the GGYC waiting with about 50 other die-hards.

Someone here yelled out to the crowd the following: "Marcus Young, the GGYC Commodore, just called from the Windward Mark. They are seeing 15 knots of wind there."

Someone here yelled out to the crowd the following: "Marcus Young, the GGYC Commodore, just called from the Windward Mark. They are seeing 15 knots of wind there."

that is some good fuckin news!

Just for the record:

Those of us living in bass ackward ends of the planet where limited data plans are still common should bear in mind that at 500-1000Kbit/s that the official site Medium setting is using, you're burning 220-450MB per hour so don't go bitching to your ISP if you went cheap on your data allowance.

that is some good fuckin news!

Except if it builds much more it will be postponed for too much wind while they're is still nothing at the starting line.... :lol:

Been sitting in a closed bar with no lights on getting attacked by mozzies. This is now down right annoying.

there's and a half of lost sleep.............fark me

Where's this OTWA coverage anyway? Haven't seen or heard anything SA.

that's a good question. haven't heard from clean...

Fuck it, I'm going back to bed. I'll catch Walter Cronkite's report on the CBS Evening News.

Video Camera - check

credit card - check

bail money - check

Mrs. Clean - check

suitcase - check

sponsers - check

interveiws - check

bag of quarters for the wind machine - ............oh crap!

What kind of operation are you running here anyways?

Not good for the sport but part of the sport as well.