Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

33rd Cup - Race 1

Crew List:

Defender: Alinghi 5 (Alinghi (SUI))

Bowman: Piet van Nieuwenhuijzen (NED)

Midbow: Curtis Blewett (CAN)

Pitman: Rodney Ardern (NZL)

Trimmer upwind: Simon Daubney (NZL)

Trimmer downwind: Nils Frei (SUI)

Mainsail trimmer: Warwick Fleury (NZL)

Traveller: Pierre-Yves Jorand (SUI)

Helmsman: Ernesto Bertarelli (SUI)

Tactician: Brad Butterworth (NZL)

Runner: Murray Jones (NZL)

Navigator: Juan Vila (ESP)

Floater: Jan Dekker (RSA/FRA)

Floater: Loïck Peyron (FRA)

Pre-start: Peter Evans (NZL)

Challenger: USA (BMW ORACLE Racing (USA)):

Bowman: Brad Webb (NZL)

Pitman: Simone de Mari (ITA)

Jib Trimmer: Ross Halcrow (NZL)

Wing Sail Trimmer: Dirk de Ridder (NED)

Wing Sail Caddy: Joey Newton (AUS)

Tactician: John Kostecki (USA)

Skipper/Helmsman: James Spithill (AUS)

Navigator: Matteo Plazzi (ITA)

Aft Pit: Thierry Fouchier (FRA)

Mast: Matthew Mason (NZL)

USA must be a small country ;-)

And New Zealand must be HUGE. Remember how you came to have the cup in the first place Flojo, with your ring-in crew of "Swiss-Kiwis".

Edit: two blokes beat me to it!

Yep. I think one of them moved to the US ;-)

fuck off ya square headed chocolate gobbler........this one is still well and truely entrenched at the beach in NZ

Ooops. Normally i understand the kiwi slang quite well, but not this. Can ya pleez xplain?

jesus christ that was bizarre.

you can't leave us hanging like that........

Not looking good..

from VS:

12:15 Conditions are unfortunately still very unstable. There is 4 knots of wind at the start line and it started raining.

Mr Clean, do you know anything about a 1PM cut off for racing?

Anything but re-runs would be great about right now.........................................

Weather Mark : stable wind 240° 11 Knots - Committee Boat : 300° 1.5 Knots

17 minutes ago from Seesmic - Source Tweeter AC

The story is this: After unsuccessfully getting any signal at all past 18 NM, we headed another 10 NM out to sea to find a glassy calm. About 30 minutes later a light breeze came in, maybe 4-6 knots, and Alinghi immediately went to their zero and started going upwind, obviously doing their best to get something going in the light air. About 3 dozen boats followed them including us at about 12-13 knots, but after 500 meters or so they lost the breeze and came back down to earth. BMW never came off their tow - they've got the wing reverse cambered and just getting dragged around at a couple knots.

So another 2 hours of floating around and we were cracking jokes about the monster Rising Sun over here, and Mer said "why don't we ask them for internet?"

So we rolled over and sure enough saw RISING SUN pop up on the wi-fi, but it had a password protection just like a hotel. So I called them on 16, and of course switched to 69 for answer, and asked the XO if Sailing Anarchy could borrow an internet password. After a couple of confused answers they told us to come 'round the stern, a nice guy jumped aboard and handed us a password and user name.

And while the signal is not huge and the speed not great, we've got internet for the moment!

Then one of the BMW boats came over and asked us what we needed, and we told them we were all set. They said "They thought you worked for us" and Grant Davidson said, "They do."

Funny shit.

Mer is going to try to load a few pics and we'll keep you posted just a few minutes and she should be able to get some pics up.

how's the official broadcast or the BMW one?

As an Australian its doing me good to hear all you yanks complaining about being up half the night watching the AC. I can remember listening to radio commentary of Gretel surfing past Weatherly to win a heat of the 63? AC. It was about 4am I was listening under the bedcovers with a crystal set my parents didnt know I had.

Seems like over the years I have spent a heap of time in the middle of the night listening/watching AC.

So all you Yanks

HTFU mate!

We still have the anticipation of watching these mighty boats race so I'm all for hanging in there.

Go the Anarchy!

Are the jails in Valencia as nice as the ones on Mac?

that was my train of thought too

bmw cast is still rolling the jimmy interview, gonna remember the "had to sail to school" story the rest of my life now

scrolling across the bottom it says

"we are still holding tight waiting for stable winds"

The story is this: After unsuccessfully getting any signal at all past 18 NM, we headed another 10 NM out to sea to find a glassy calm. About 30 minutes later a light breeze came in, maybe 4-6 knots, and Alinghi immediately went to their zero and started going upwind, obviously doing their best to get something going in the light air. About 3 dozen boats followed them including us at about 12-13 knots, but after 500 meters or so they lost the breeze and came back down to earth. BMW never came off their tow - they've got the wing reverse cambered and just getting dragged around at a couple knots.

So another 2 hours of floating around and we were cracking jokes about the monster Rising Sun over here, and Mer said "why don't we ask them for internet?"

So we rolled over and sure enough saw RISING SUN pop up on the wi-fi, but it had a password protection just like a hotel. So I called them on 16, and of course switched to 69 for answer, and asked the XO if Sailing Anarchy could borrow an internet password. After a couple of confused answers they told us to come 'round the stern, a nice guy jumped aboard and handed us a password and user name.

And while the signal is not huge and the speed not great, we've got internet for the moment!

Then one of the BMW boats came over and asked us what we needed, and we told them we were all set. They said "They thought you worked for us" and Grant Davidson said, "They do."

Funny shit.

Mer is going to try to load a few pics and we'll keep you posted just a few minutes and she should be able to get some pics up.

ESPN and America's Cup are showing us live shots of folks milling around the harbor. Other feeds appear to have gone dark.

Funny shit.

One's showing reruns, the other the darcena, Cable went to Athletics an hour ago.

RECAP FOR CLEAN:

Boats bobbing around.. no wind and Jobson talking about Glory days.

Jobson signs off says will be back

They send us to the webcam of the docks and some woman who sounded like Charlie Brown's mom weeewaaweewaa

Then she stopped and drumming began.

Sill webcam and people walking by

BMW Racing coverage is good, but their filler content loops after 30 mins or so. They are running a ticker on the bottom with only basic info about the delay. Not much wind in Barcelona either. Where's the SA party tomorrow?

I love it.. I got to AC33 for the "official" feed.. download player or

"If you do not wish to download the player, you may watch a lower quality stream by clicking on the MEDIUM QUALITY button now"

I click on the MEDIUM QUALITY button and I get this:

"Sorry, this video is not available due to a copyright claim."

436 User(s) are reading this topic (164 Guests and 15 Anonymous Users)

And the forum is holding , good work people.

Webcam from Valencia harbour shows the flags becoming really nervous with the wind picking up.

Twitter says Top Mark : 245° 9 Knots - Committee Boat : 335° 3 Knots #ac33

"we are still holding tight waiting for stable winds"

Gotta love it.

I've sailed maybe...100 regattas.

Perhaps

Maybe

One

of them was in "stable winds."

Pinnacle of the sport eh?

ESPN and America's Cup are showing us live shots of folks milling around the harbor. Other feeds appear to have gone dark.

The sailing came on TV and then disappeared again, and now I'm watching the ernie-vision equivalent in cycling. Instead of sailing in RAK they are cycling in Qatar. I've watched for 5 minutes and haven't seen a living thing except the cyclists.

436 User(s) are reading this topic (164 Guests and 15 Anonymous Users)

And the forum is holding , good work people.

I'm a bit hazy on this but didnt we have lots more than this in San Diego on Wing Day?

Changing back to LoFi now..

So, is there any hard info about the time it cuts off?

While the PRO may think the boats can finish this course in say 3 hours, he MUST allow 7 hours under the Deed, so finishing at night seems unlikely - what time is nightfall in VLC at this time of year?

The plug must be very close to being pulled?

Updates from AC33 Site:

12:21

It is reported that things did look a little more promising. The windward mark has moved north and west, so it is now just over two miles offshore at El Saler beach. And the breeze is building and at 11-12 knots at 240 degrees there, so the breeze is still moving left. At the start boat, offshore, there is only 1.5 to 3 knots. Of course there are no published, set limits of windstrength and Principal Race Officer Harold Bennett has refused to be drawn to discuss 'numbers'. As background... there is a prescription from the Deed of Gift in the Sailing Instructions which, in essence, says the Race Committee 'may' stop Leg 1 if in its opinion there is a wind shift of 30 degrees. So, a variance of more than 40 degrees between WW1 mark and the start, and now (in as long a it has taken to write this) 80 degrees, is not going to inspire him with real confidence to 'go'.

Sky Sport in NZ is saying that the course is being reset and the wind is starting to build... fucking deja vu for 32nd AC! stupid Ernie and his whoring out of venue for the 32nd cup, if he had gone somewhere else we would be watching racing about now!

getting very tired of playing Call of Duty and watching Olympic preview shows

Webcam from Valencia harbour shows the flags becoming really nervous with the wind picking up.

Twitter says Top Mark : 245° 9 Knots - Committee Boat : 335° 3 Knots #ac33

They certainly look like moving now

Somali pirate take-down story now on the Military Channel. Guess that's about as nautical as I'm going to get this morning...

No warning signal after 16h30 #ac33

25 minutes to abandonement

??? Local time is 1:10 pm so more than 3 hours to go.....

BOR Feed says

"Stay Tuned - We are about to interview grinders and the design team on what is happening or not happening out on the track"

VS reporting:

13:00 It seems the breeze is picking up but it's still unstable. As per the official 33rd America's Cup twitter there's 3 knots at the committee boat from 335º and 9 knots from 245º at the weather mark

christ this sux.

just got off the plane in hong kong after a long haul flight thinking i had missed the race only to find out its a drift-a-thon.

and they are showing tennis on the tv.

what are the chances of them getting off a race today?

or do i hit the bars for a few hours

No warning signal after 16h30 #ac33

25 minutes to abandonement

That can't be right. I calculated 1000 VLC to = 1830 here in Darwin. If it's now just past 2140 here, it's only 1310 VLC - a long wait for 1630! Another 3 hrs 20 - I'm not going to make it!

You know you've got a jazz crew when Loick Peyron is your float...

Also, I see Mason is down as mastman on BMWOR. What does a mastman do on a boat with powered winches and furling sails? Is he purely there to shift the headsails around?

One of the reports off the water in the last couple of minutes gives the following wind readings:

245° at 6.5 knots at the top mark and 330° at 3.5 knots at the Race Committee boat. So it doesn't look like there's going to be anything happening quickly.

Hey, I know everyone's filling in time - but has anyone got a factual update on VLC conditions? Guestimates of race or not?

No pressure ;)

Edit: Thks Dayracer.

You know you've got a jazz crew when Loick Peyron is your float...

Also, I see Mason is down as mastman on BMWOR. What does a mastman do on a boat with powered winches and furling sails? Is he purely there to shift the headsails around?

Or he goes up the mast to look for Alinghi and windshifts.

Anyone else have to take Wednesday off work as well?

loook at all of us fuckers watching our screens...I bet if my old lady asked me to get up and watch facebook with her for updates I would tell her to go fuck herself....ha! :o

If there is no race today, do they go tomorrow?

nup they will race wednesday if nothing happens today. and every second day till they can get the 2 or 3 races required

That might be some entertainment while we wait..

loook at all of us fuckers watching our screens...I bet if my old lady asked me to get up and watch facebook with her for updates I would tell her to go fuck herself....ha! :o

can you get that on video and post it so we fuckers have something to watch?

Anyone had any luck with the video on the AC site? Both the High and Medium feeds are blank. High says it cannot be displayed in this browser, and Medium says it cannot be displayed due to copyright issues.

Anyone had any luck with the video on the AC site? Both the High and Medium feeds are blank. High says it cannot be displayed in this browser, and Medium says it cannot be displayed due to copyright issues.

the ac site sucks. same issues here.

Weather Underground has the depressing story: 8 kts SW at a buoy near the windward mark, but wind speeds low and directions all over the place if you look at the onshore stations around Valencia. Don't see how this will stabilize to a raceable breeze today. Go to http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat...lencia,%20Spain and click on "Wunder map" to see for yourself.

christ this sux.

just got off the plane in hong kong after a long haul flight thinking i had missed the race only to find out its a drift-a-thon.

Ozzie - hit Wanchai hard, or come and join the rest of us moaning at the RHKYC bar...

No problem here with the AC site, your not missing much just a webcam view.

Works perfect on the East Coast of the States on high, and just checked medium - works as well. All you see is a view of the Darsena...

Twitter 33ACup: Top Mark : 230° 4,5 knots - Committee Boat : 280° 4,5 knots

OK, but what is the wind at 60 meters? shoudn´t be enough?

Yep, my webcam feed is working and is showing the flags flapping nicely but the wind looks to be at the wrong angle

From the AC site,

12:21

It is reported that things did look a little more promising. The windward mark has moved north and west, so it is now just over two miles offshore at El Saler beach. And the breeze is building and at 11-12 knots at 240 degrees there, so the breeze is still moving left. At the start boat, offshore, there is only 1.5 to 3 knots. Of course there are no published, set limits of windstrength and Principal Race Officer Harold Bennett has refused to be drawn to discuss 'numbers'. As background... there is a prescription from the Deed of Gift in the Sailing Instructions which, in essence, says the Race Committee 'may' stop Leg 1 if in its opinion there is a wind shift of 30 degrees. So, a variance of more than 40 degrees between WW1 mark and the start, and now (in as long a it has taken to write this) 80 degrees, is not going to inspire him with real confidence to 'go'.

Download the installer, install it, than launch it from your windows menu "Program/RayV" and so it's opened in a new tab and work nice and fluent... in high quality!

AC video site has worked perfectly since nothing started happening at 0345........Chrome Browser

At least I got to see the shuttle night launch

Same issue here in Philly...

Using ESPN360 and BOR feeds.. both working fine.. ESPN showing Darsena (same feed at AC, but looks like it is delayed a little)... BOR is doing interviews..

Note: the trick of opening the RayV onits own works - it will open a new default browser window..

James Spithill up next on BOR interview feed..

Using ESPN360 and BOR feeds.. both working fine.. ESPN showing Darsena... BOR is doing interviews..

Watching both and I am seeing a lot of ribs unfortunatly most are coming back in .

Using ESPN360 and BOR feeds.. both working fine.. ESPN showing Darsena... BOR is doing interviews..

Watching both and I am seeing a lot of ribs unfortunatly most are coming back in .

could be refueling.

Who is the fat guy in the white shirt conducting interviews on the BMWO site?

The two interviewers are Peter Lester and Martin Tasker.

racing abandoned for the day

see y'all tomorrow lovely folks

christ this sux.

Ozzie - hit Wanchai hard, or come and join the rest of us moaning at the RHKYC bar...

lol

yeah . been thinking about it. how many are down there?

the usual crowd.?

ps someone will have to but the drinks. i aint a member