Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

33rd Cup - Race 1

Anyone had any luck with the video on the AC site? Both the High and Medium feeds are blank. High says it cannot be displayed in this browser, and Medium says it cannot be displayed due to copyright issues.

Download the installer, install it, than launch it from your windows menu "Program/RayV" and so it's opened in a new tab and work nice and fluent... in high quality!

My bad..AC site??...linky please...been watching the livestream from BOR site...tried the A5 site but only reruns of "off dock" video....

PP

Anyone had any luck with the video on the AC site? Both the High and Medium feeds are blank. High says it cannot be displayed in this browser, and Medium says it cannot be displayed due to copyright issues.

AC video site has worked perfectly since nothing started happening at 0345........Chrome Browser

At least I got to see the shuttle night launch

I saw it from Ponce Inlet - where were you?

cool, eh?

Good to see that Harold was not pressured to start a race that would not necesarily have been won by the faster boat.

Damn. I stayed up all night for this. crap I can't afford to do that again.

Not bad for Oracle. They did not have a chance in such light winds.

Hope its 50 knots on wednesday.

what a f'n waste of time

at least it wil give the media time to figure out what went wrong with the converage that was non existent. good thing they had a trail run.

not being for either camp ...if I had to bet my house......DZ to win

looking forward to the first race...can't wait ...hope it will be close

holy shit today at work is going to be miserable. I have not pulled an all nighter in years. DAMN DAMN DAMN

bahahahaha! i went out on a date instead of watching it! wohoo now i dont miss anymore!!

...and now you're back at home posting on a SA.

No happy ending then?

The multiple site live internet coverage today while waiting on RC was virtually non-existent. A boring waste of time.

Be funny if after a billion dollars spent (or more) and non-precedented courtroom wrangling time, that G-d might decide not to provide any wind to hold these races after all. We'll see if this cosmic joke ends (starts) on Wednesday.

Are the jails in Valencia as nice as the ones on Mac?

that was my train of thought too

No jails on Mac Is. Boat ride over to St. Ignace.

only thing more boring than drifting around for hours under AP is watching others do it on TV (computer hooked up to TV)

alright race is called for the day here are a few pics from mer. We are heading back to upload all todays video and pics. Also don't forget to watch our live cocktail hour tonight at 6:30gmt with multi-hull experts including; Goran Marstrom, Mitch booth, and a couple other great guests it is one you don't want to miss.

bmw_alinghi_postponed.jpg

postponed_2.jpg

Well, I wouldn't mind having the final race during the weekend... At least I could watch it on TV.

Are those the 3DLs or 3Dis on A5?

Was wondering about that! Any sail experts here?

3DL

3Di's are black

alright race is called for the day here are a few pics from mer. We are heading back to upload all todays video and pics. Also don't forget to watch our live cocktail hour tonight at 6:30gmt with multi-hull experts including; Goran Marstrom, Mitch booth, and a couple other great guests it is one you don't want to miss.

Where are you holding the cocktail hour?

So does BMWO keep the starboard entry for the next race, or does it go to CZ?

Rumor has it there's a video posted...

Too bad I give up after two minutes of ads...

BMWO will keep the starboard entry for race one and three

BMWO will keep the starboard entry for race one and three

Grazie!

So Clean, did they even get close to each other with enough sail up to get any idea of ability to manuvoer?

Winever

Harold Bennett - 22 Minutes and most of what you'd want to know about the RC.

Watch live video from onthewateranarchy on Justin.tv

Grant "Guthrie" Davidson, team logistics and facilities manager, FUNNY guy!

The full 70-minutes of OTW Cocktail Hour with some of the top ac journalists in sailing.

So Clean, did they even get close to each other with enough sail up to get any idea of ability to manuvoer?

Winever

Nope. Definitely not. And someone who really should know says the crossover is 7.

Anyway, here is the day 1 intro - Genny and John are as awesome as I thought they'd be, and I am hiring them again for sure.

And here is day 1 wrapup. There was nothing in between.

Climbing the wing:

Where are you holding the cocktail hour?

In a back room at BMW's base.

John: "We're definitely going to get a race in."

He bet on the Colts, right?

:lol::lol:

Are the jails in Valencia as nice as the ones on Mac?

that was my train of thought too

No jails on Mac Is. Boat ride over to St. Ignace.

Is this from personal experience?

Harold Bennett - 22 Minutes and most of what you'd want to know about the RC.

Grant "Guthrie" Davidson, team logistics and facilities manager, FUNNY guy!

Dude, ever hear of a key light? Filming your subjects against a bright window with no fill light is kinda dumb. Nice silhouette job.

Having said that - you guys are doing a great job, Clean. Especially on short notice.

cheap

So whatever happened with BMW protesting Alingi's sails? I never saw the decision.

i believe it is in the NYSC and the ruling will be made at the end of Feb. or beginning of March...

hey, i hear you guys got to check out some fallas stuff. it could be a little to early yet but just in case they start to set up a lights ornaments (impressive) in some of the streets of old town...calle Cuba & Puerto Rico are two spots that are just amazing. to walk around and go bar hopping amongst the lighted streets with the statues in the corners, well you won't see that anywhere else really.

have fun!

just finished watching the last part live of the second Cocktail Hour, in time to hear Peter Harken tell the story about the guy who carved the wooden ball bearings... good stuff! looking forward to watching it in its entirity

also was able to finally watch the HB interview, again good stuff

in a way, this first race delay will allow many of us to catch up a little with some of the coverage already done, before it becomes 'old news'

as I found watching the first Cocktail Hour with the journos in its entirity; gotta say Pierre called the delay

and how interesting to go through the long postponement, and eventual abandonment, and then hear what the Fish had said, beforehand, about setting a 'perfect' windward leg- as he said, in the old days, it was more of a 'now competitors, sail 20 miles upwind to a mark to windward (more or less)' and that was it because in the late 1800s they didn't really have the ability to set a 'perfect' windward leg

well, we do now- but is it POSSIBLE for an RC to set a 'perfect' windward leg over 20 nm? and will this need to satisfy what we now think of as a 'perfect' windward leg (with wind velocity and direction consistent) mean ENDLESS delays...

or should the RC just, kinda, let them go, consistent wind direction and velocity be damned?

but Clean and Genny and the gang, keep it up, good stuff, keep it comin'

This might be the most common question concerning the cup race -will any cable channel be broadcasting the race next weds?

Clean, With racing a wash today the only thing to look at was your Cocktail Hour and interviews. I don't know what the other press were busy doing but it was clear that sitting in a studio doing commentary over the official feed won't cut it. Thanks for making it happen. You and the SA team rock!

Great OTWA video on the way out to the race course today, but that sound was horrible. I'm sorry if this sounds petty and weak, but the overmodulation made me turn it off. It sounds like a Jr. high school auditorium metal band with air horns being blown into the mics. Nails on a chalkboard would be a step up. Video is fine, audio is gut wrenching.

Overmodulation. Is there a sound level meter that someone can look at, or maybe a test that can be played back for QA?

Overall, two thumbs up, and a middle finger for the sound!!

0451 and we still aren't asleep. Working on "nails on a chalkboard."

We appreciate it!!

0451 and we still aren't asleep. Working on "nails on a chalkboard."

Dude, if I was going to prison for a long spell, I'd pick you as my cellmate... You're awesome.

Clean, I don't post often enough (I tend to lurk...) but I wanted to thank you for your efforts. Watching you guys put this together and doing your best to make it work is simply inspiring. I'm almost thankful that there was no race so that you had the extra time to tweak things into perfection (or a reasonable facsimile thereof...)

I can only imagine the flambé this thread might have been had things not gotten tweaked... :blink:

Good job Clean & crew!!

Yesterday's non-race is just what to expect in an AC.

I recall being a pimply kid in deep North Queensland in 1974 trying to follow the cup in a time of no web.

Raced out of school at lunchtime on my bicycle, and off to the corner shop which got a couple of copies of the national newspaper (the "Australian") each day and hoping desperately that one remained. (Didn't know you could ask them to keep one !).

Newspaper in sweaty hands (after spending my lunch and pocket-money on a plane-delivered newspaper) - would there be any coverage ?

Or would it be deleted from the hillbilly edition in favour of a footballer's-cat-stuck-in-tree story ?

Sometimes a few juicy paragraphs, sometimes even a photo, but sometimes a cancellation - and back to school hot, hungry, and none the wiser.

Now here in south-western Australia the cup's on after work. Excellent. Except for the humungous demand on servers.

That pimply kid was about to get into catamarans in 1974. Had I known what was to come my brain would have exploded.

HOLY SH******!!! Just had one of the most amazing nights anyone could ever wish for thanks to SA (especially clean), our new friend Fili**** at BMWO, and Tom Ehman for being such a gracious host.

For my photos, I unfotunately only post to one spot inside Facebook. Heres the link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2471728&id=6236964 and watch the video that was Live and I know Clean adn Company are currently editing and about to post. Hope they don't cut the first 15 minutes where I bullshit with JC about earlier today while we wait for the important people to show in the Press room. Can't beleive I met some of my sailing idols tonight.

Show - and yeah we cut out the bullshit session bro - sorry!

http://www.justin.tv/clip/3313e2dcf3bc8d41...ppN2f8&s=na

Clean, the OTWA with the Wing designers and A Class guys...I could have watched that for hours.

Did you catch the "nodding" from the wing's designer, USA can sail backwards!

Jimmy Spithill at the start is armed with a boat that can stop on a dime, has less drag (can "luff" longer than his competitor), and sail backwards out of that position. WOW.

Did you catch the "nodding" from the wing's designer, USA can sail backwards!

Jimmy Spithill at the start is armed with a boat that can stop on a dime, has less drag (can "luff" longer than his competitor), and sail backwards out of that position. WOW...

you can sail any fully battened cat backwards in light winds

<not to put too much load on the rudders>

jamb the traveller way over to windward, sheet the main in tight....

traditional joke on hobies here when waiting for committee

to decide on the wind, helps bend their minds a little...