Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

otwabandanaman

33rd America's Cup Video Guide

Petey's 33rd Cup Anarchy Promo Reel (fun and big thanks to sponsors) http://www.justin.tv/s/xB1drI4/clip/62062773bba1be2f

BMW/Oracle Logistics and Facilities manager Grant Davidson. http://www.justin.tv/s/xB1drI4/clip/bbae9d50924ec686

33rd Cup Principal Race Officer Harold Bennett http://www.justin.tv/s/xB1drI4/clip/e7819ffcaff932b3

8 February Race Day - Intro http://www.justin.tv/s/xB1drI4/clip/f02fa54828abd5fd

8 February Race Day - Commentator discussion and banter - great stuff. http://www.justin.tv/clip/12b26411de3f1e94

Crew climbs the BMW/Oracle wing just before racing blown off. http://www.justin.tv/s/xB1drI4/clip/0432741a2ae8336c

8 February Race Day - Final Discussion after AP over A http://www.justin.tv/s/xB1drI4/clip/9bf0c377d5c3be89

A bunch of excellent links!!!

Thanks a ton otwabandanaman!

Somebody please stick this thread

Sincere thank you, not only for putting all of this together but for putting it in one easy to find place.

We'll keep adding to it all week. These are my favorite:

Layline 33rd America's Cup Anarchy "Cocktail Hour" Number 1 with the world's top Cup journalists; Bob Fisher (Guardian UK, tons of other print and online media), Richard Gladwell (Sail-world), Pierre Orphanidis (Valencia Sailing) and Kimball Livingston (Sail Magazine).

http://www.justin.tv/s/xB1drI4/clip/03374526a31fb6ff

Layline 33rd America's Cup Anarchy "Cocktail Hour" Number 2 with some of the world's top multihull builders/designers/engineers. Former multiple F-18 World Champ and creator of the Extreme 40 Mitch Booth, hardware and legendary midwestern sailor Peter Harken, composites/carbon wizard Goran Marstrom, and Marstrom Composites head engineer Kårl Ljung. http://www.justin.tv/s/EoasEKI/clip/0dfb7d9e6b978bfd

Tomorrow is the C-Class boys - it will rock and we'll keep pushing to get the most engaging and influential people in sailing on our show.

Love Petey's promo:

Promo is very good. Would be great if Petey used some video of USA-17 with the wing instead of soft sails though. ;)

WetHog :ph34r:

We'll keep adding to it all week. These are my favorite:

Layline 33rd America's Cup Anarchy "Cocktail Hour" Number 1 with the world's top Cup journalists; Bob Fisher (Guardian UK, tons of other print and online media), Richard Gladwell (Sail-world), Pierre Orphanidis (Valencia Sailing) and Kimball Livingston (Sail Magazine).

http://www.justin.tv/s/xB1drI4/clip/03374526a31fb6ff

Layline 33rd America's Cup Anarchy "Cocktail Hour" Number 2 with some of the world's top multihull builders/designers/engineers. Former multiple F-18 World Champ and creator of the Extreme 40 Mitch Booth, hardware and legendary midwestern sailor Peter Harken, composites/carbon wizard Goran Marstrom, and Marstrom Composites head engineer Kårl Ljung. http://www.justin.tv/s/EoasEKI/clip/0dfb7d9e6b978bfd

Tomorrow is the C-Class boys - it will rock and we'll keep pushing to get the most engaging and influential people in sailing on our show.

Thanks for what you're doing Clean & All. The Cocktail Hour #1 is undoubtedly the best, most engaging and interesting bit of media out there that I have seen to date. Brilliant.

I would love to see a similar format with LE, RC, EB & BB. What are the chances of that? I would certainly give my right and left bollock to see it, but alas....

P.S. The justin.tv format was a good choice for hosting - all other streaming from AC & BOR etc has been totally fucked where I am.

Just want to add my thanks as well Mr. Clean,

From my point of view in California - the weekend coverage sucked. If you were catching the bug and wanted to start getting into it leading up to the first race - the problems with all the 'feeds' and the really, really mixed bag of successful content delivery - most feeds just didn't deliver - sucked big time.

Now, after the first non-race, there is lots of really good stuff on Justin.tv. It is now really clear that LIVE action is not going to be available as a rock solid internet feed.

It's also really clear that the good stuff will be available the day after.

hmmm, do I go to Golden Gate Yacht Club in the middle of the night for the next race, or to South Beach Yacht Club where they have a decent big screen, or do I just get a good night's sleep, take the phone off the hook, then go to Clean's uploads?

I agree with Shroo - "The justin.tv format was a good choice for hosting - all other streaming from AC & BOR etc has been totally fucked where I am."

but is it worth staying up all night for at home, or would it be the site of choice for a Yacht Club viewing party?

Either way Your content is great!

Do the sponsor's have anything I want? - That's another story.

HOLY SH******!!! Just had one of the most amazing nights anyone could ever wish for thanks to SA (especially clean), our new friend Fili**** at BMWO, and Tom Ehman for being such a gracious host.

For my photos, I unfotunately only post to one spot inside Facebook. Heres the link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2471728&id=6236964 and watch the video that was Live and I know Clean adn Company are currently editing and about to post. Hope they don't cut the first 15 minutes where I bullshit with JC about earlier today while we wait for the important people to show in the Press room. Can't beleive I met some of my sailing idols tonight.

Whatever you do, don't tune in ESPN360 with Jobson...

He said "That's Harold Evans there in the middle, the Principal Race Officer" in the first 5 minutes of their Race 1 video.

Reminded my of the " ol' stink eye" video Clean shot in Albany.

Alan

Congatulations on finaly getting your shit together in an amazing media event!

The C Class interviews were so key to the origins of the whole wing thing.

It would be interesting if you might talk to Duncan MacLane, who is working for Alinghi.

He also drives Steve Clarks boat.

He has won quite a number of Little America's Cups, both as skipper and NA

A phone interview with Dave Hubbard, "the father of the wing" might be insightful as well.

Dave was hired by BMW Oracle

Rock on Bro...

Alan

Congatulations on finaly getting your shit together in an amazing media event!

The C Class interviews were so key to the origins of the whole wing thing.

It would be interesting if you might talk to Duncan MacLane, who is working for Alinghi.

He also drives Steve Clarks boat.

He has won quite a number of Little America's Cups, both as skipper and NA

A phone interview with Dave Hubbard, "the father of the wing" might be insightful as well.

Dave was hired by BMW Oracle

Rock on Bro...

+1000 Dave Hubbard's insights would be priceless, Duncan's too...

I'm sure he will wait till the event is over to spill his guts........depending on his contract with BOR.

Hey Clean I heard that one of the teams (I think Oracle) is using a new binocular / laser technology mounted up the wing to provide live wind information out to 300 meters in front of the boat? Has anyone mentioned this type of technology? If so could you get some more info on it.. Thanks so far for all the feeds, amazing stuff!

Hey Clean I heard that one of the teams (I think Oracle) is using a new binocular / laser technology mounted up the wing to provide live wind information out to 300 meters in front of the boat? Has anyone mentioned this type of technology? If so could you get some more info on it.. Thanks so far for all the feeds, amazing stuff!

Argh! WTF???

Justin.tv has decided it doesn't talk to Flash 10.1 beta.

It fucking did 2 days ago!

Would be great if Petey used some video of USA-17 with the wing instead of soft sails though. ;)

WTF? No original vid except for some clips of Clean driving a car and in-port action? Y'all too tired to shoot original footage of the yachts?

Not that it's any of our business, but you ARE in the public limelight and all... What the hell have you been doing that keeps you up all night? :)

you do realize that there hasnt been a race yet.....right?

just checkin.

Any chance the videos can be put on youtube or somewhere else? Justin TV doesn't allow the use of the track bar to skip into the video, very annoying given the time it takes to download the entire video. Watched the C-Class video about half way, but accidentally reloaded the page and was forced to watch it from the beginning again. Instead of waiting for an hour to download half the video, I gave up. Not worth it. Am I missing something?

Any chance the videos can be put on youtube or somewhere else? Justin TV doesn't allow the use of the track bar to skip into the video, very annoying given the time it takes to download the entire video. Watched the C-Class video about half way, but accidentally reloaded the page and was forced to watch it from the beginning again. Instead of waiting for an hour to download half the video, I gave up. Not worth it. Am I missing something?

Yes Francisco, you are! If you wait for the video to load for a few minutes, you can skip to anywhere you want on it.

Do you ever get the feeling that the skill is rapidly going out of actual sailing ? It's more about the skill of building and designing fast boats

Do you ever get the feeling that the skill is rapidly going out of actual sailing ? It's more about the skill of building and designing fast boats

It would be interesting to see how they are capturing this data, displaying it and then using it real time. OR is this just data collecting for post sail/race analysis?

you do realize that there hasnt been a race yet.....right?

just checkin.

I'd like to change my comments, previous comments were wrong. What you've done has been great, and must be very hard work.

The way it's working out is disappointing, probably more to you guys than almost anyone else. The cost of maintaining a team overseas and double whammy of no races so far, along with doubts over when it will actually go down is brutal. I hope the SA OTW team can hang in there for the racing when it finally takes place.

There's one obvious advantage - as many other journalists move on, you could become one of if not THE only team in town to cover the event.

How are things looking as far as being able to hang in there? At the very least, I hope you have some down time to relax and enjoy being in a new locale.

What you're doing is greatly appreciated, in spite of the disappointment shared by many over what is completely out of your control.

It would be interesting to see how they are capturing this data, displaying it and then using it real time. OR is this just data collecting for post sail/race analysis?

The "catch the wind people" are on the same spectator boat as me and brought a demo unit out on Monday. The unit is pointed like a pair of binoculars, a button is pushed to acquire a read, and the wind speed and direction at 400, 700 and 1000 meters is displayed simultaneously. Rotate the unit five degrees, shoot again and you have another profile.

The unit can also be tilted up to pick up gradient information.

Marcus young pt1

Marcus young pt2

Wow...he IS young.

And Jenny did a great interview!

(Right up till Clean asks about GGYC accepting an Anarchy Challenge entry...actually pretty amusing.)

Marcus young pt1

Marcus young pt2

Good interview -

When will you have Fred Meyer's interview posted ??

Love Petey's promo:

Now that gets me fired up for this even after all the delays. Lets not forget how we were all cranked up to see these two monsters go at it. Too much Alinghi in the clip though.

Is it me or does that thing look like the head of that robot Walle.

Marcus young pt1

Marcus young pt2

That was perfect. Some good, serious questions from Genny and a little dose of anarchy at the end. Good formula. Keep it up.

Marcus young pt1

Marcus young pt2

fukking Brilliant!!!!!! Genny is awesome. Clean, nice "snowballs" and Petey , I didn't get sick with the camera work .

The Marcus Young videos were great!

Waiting for them . . . not so great . . . kind of like waiting for . . .

Getting them on YouTube - also great, much easier to view . . . never did get RayV to work, haven't seen much of the BMWOracle show, but able to easily view all the YouTube stuff.

The 'Lightship' is coming up out our way. With a start in San Francisco Bay, a trip through the Golden Gate, and a trip back. The PRO of that race is careful about lives being lost, which has happened many times in that stretch of water. Boats have been lost (without and without loss of life). I forget just how far it is upwind, maybe just shy of 20 nm?

Point is, the trip out is typically upwind, but everything from drifting conditions to the South Tower Devil wind can be expected during the race. Flat water, huge ocean swells (we have 25ft swells tomorrow), and treacherous currents.

When the Yacht America went to England, I think she raced in the same sea as the Fastnet race. Two areas of the world with similarly challenging conditions.

It was really cool to watch two sailors from a part of the world with challenging conditions talking about this. Jenny brought up the issue of the America's Cup being a race of boats against boats, or a race of sailors against sailors. Back at the turn of the century it was both.

When I raced Tornado Catamarans, your boat had to be very fast. You had to sail it as fast as you could, and you had to sail the best course you could. If a competitor tuned their boat better than you did yours . . . the difference, even if it was slight, resulted in very large separations very quickly. The high aspect of the rigs meant that once separated, you couldn't see much of your competitor, the rigs sort of disappeared. It was boat against boat, sailor against sailor, and often, you and your crew alone against your selves.

For the 33rd, if the PRO goes out 30 miles, sets a line 90 degs to the prevailing wind and sends a mark boat 20 miles in a straight line upwind, 90 degrees to the start line - what would that be?

If one of the boats couldn't handle it?

Would it set the America's back to the turn of the century, or be a fitting start for the next century?

Great interview of MY and it was super rapport between Genny & him that made the interview refreshing. Was super to here of his understanding of the role of a yacht club in the AC. MY is a cool bro & he will make a great Commodore of a AC winning club. Maybe a supportive Commodore of SA AC getting into the next AC.

Great interview of MY and it was super rapport between Genny & him that made the interview refreshing. Was super to here of his understanding of the role of a yacht club in the AC. MY is a cool bro & he will make a great Commodore of a AC winning club. Maybe a supportive Commodore of SA AC getting into the next AC.

Where is the interview located? I went to the archives section of the otwa link, and I do not see it.

Where is the interview located? I went to the archives section of the otwa link, and I do not see it.

It's linked to about 5 posts above this one

I think sailing the new technology is unexplored territory, from sportboats to kiteboards to foiling speedsters, and requires plenty of skill just like sailing slower boats.

The fact that this race looks not to be a race because one boat is just too much faster than the other doesn't mean no skill is required to operate the boats, it just means that stretching the rule one way is faster than another, if you're willing to spend the zillions.