Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

otwabandanaman

Satellite phone becoming an issue can anyone give us any help

Issue is we don't have one and we have not been able to rent or borrow one on short notice. Might have one by Thursday afternoon but it's Spain which means not til Monday. Anyone within a couple hours that can lend us a plain old Iridium or Sailor we will happily pay the bill and be eternally grateful.

You should probably pin the request in the sailing anarchy forum (and this one) for maximum exposure.

You should probably pin the request in the sailing anarchy forum (and this one) for maximum exposure.

actually check in Cruising Anarchy...........

Good planning bro, I suppose mobile phones in the first world reach 50 miles ashore...

Good planning bro, I suppose mobile phones in the first world reach 50 miles ashore...

Welcome to OTWA.

At least in this edition everything is Ernestos's fault.

A little late - no? Weren't techies offering advice when Clean was solely set on finding a blimp? Too much SA hot air wasted on this one.

Thank you for all who are working to solve this problem for us. The rest of you can lick me.

Day late and a dollar short Clean but here's a link. Offices in US and UK but nothing in Spain.

http://www.allroadsat.com

Get someone to do a google search using google.es (Spain version) not the US site.

Might be able to turn something up. There HAS to be a sat phone rental available in Valencia.

Other option,

If Rising Sun will still provide wireless access you can use SKYPE mobile app. That will allow you to text using minimal bandwidth right through your

web enabled mobile device. Best of all, it's practically free.

All good ideas, and so far they've all fallen short just because Spain is slow as dirt unless you have piles of cash to throw at a problem. Hopefully the official ACM feed will still be functioning on Friday and Sunday as we've assumed it would all along (the reason we weren't concerned with OTW coverage from far offshore in the first place BTW), if not we will continue to work to find something to get some minimal text info to you.

Get someone to do a google search using google.es (Spain version) not the US site.

Might be able to turn something up. There HAS to be a sat phone rental available in Valencia.

Your best bet in Spain seems to be the rental of an Iridium phone from Fibertel.

Direct link is http://www.fibertel.es/alquileriridium.html

Email cgonzalez@fibertel.es

Phone (+34) 902 123 660

(+34) 91 426 1094.

It'd seem that they have offices in Madrid and Zaragoza only, email or phone them to sort this out.

(source: website)

Good luck!

My suggestion - go low tech instead of hi-tech!

1. Relay your posts by VHF to someone on-shore at a computer, ideally at regatta HQ so they can also pick up info from there as well. A big antenna with plenty of juice reaches about 20 miles, right?

2. If VHF doesn't work, use SSB to relay posts. I would bet our friend Melvarossa Beach has an SSB set ready to go. This works for plenty of people at sea.

I think I can speak for the masses that Anarchists are jonesing for old-school Clean reports from the scene of the action, in the form of posts to a thread. That's where OTWA began and it's still my favorite way of following what's happening.

yep

VHF ship to shore phone call , full duplex and talk all day

with digital cell call you can dial from the handset...does Spain have that?

just need line of site or a big mast...know if there's any around?