Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Jimmy Cracked Cheese

After a pretty long process and BMW's PR team working hard to find the time, Jimmy Spithill is ready to hang out with the OTW folks on camera some time tomorrow. ASK YOUR QUESTIONS RIGHT HERE.

After a pretty long process and BMW's PR team working hard to find the time, Jimmy Spithill is ready to hang out with the OTW folks on camera some time tomorrow. ASK YOUR QUESTIONS RIGHT HERE.

Q #1... WTF was up with that stalled start... how did it happen and why did it take so long to get out of

How much changed in the way the boat was run and sailed when you changed from soft sails to the wing?

Do you think this technology developed with the wing will be brought down through the smaller classes since it is getting so much publicity?

You've gone from a northern Sydney beaches sailor to a world class Americas cup skipper in a very short time can you tell us what a few big turning points in your career were?

Q #1... WTF was up with that stalled start... how did it happen and why did it take so long to get out of
Its not the first time he's fucked an otherwise excellent start.

He did that same thing several times in IACCs.

Its not the first time he's fucked an otherwise excellent start.

He did that same thing several times in IACCs.

To be fair this is the first time either of these boats have gone one on one. Alinhgi were completely deceived by the speed USA 17 entered the box and made a bad call. Then they got caught in irons after holding them above the line. Easy screwup to make in any multihull.

Mr. Spithill,

- Can we expect changes to the crew line-up for the triangle course?

- Was there any form of relief of the boss when you told him he couldn't come for race 1?

- Have you managed to take the alarm system off?

- How different will be the second pre-start be with the unfavoured side and Alinghi now knowing your aggressive pre-start antics?

Congratualations on the win in race one and best of luck in races 2 and 3.

Regards,

John

Either of these questions will do...

1. Would you rather fight

a reindeer

or

12 midgets?

OR

2. Would you rather fight

a cripple with blades for hands

or

a zombie with no teeth?

Did you pace your boat upwind to stay with Alingi, not let them have different wind?

Does the crew doing their spider monkey impersonation on a tack slow the time to tack down?

Is there more speed in the boat? Would you tell us if there was?

Which crew member will drink the most beer tonight?

On the start did Alingi force you into the wind or did you do it to yourselves?

Who and what went in the water pre-start? What was that conversation like? ;-)

How much are you using the HUD vs. feel of the boat?

When you realized how quickly you were gaining on Alinghi, was anything said on the boat about their speed vs yours or did everyone just keep heads down?

Alinghi would have crossed the line around 9:33 after you, had they not made any turns. Given that you were sailing in what we can assume were the top end of their optimal conditions, are you now comfortable in saying that the DOG is faster?

Congrats to BOR big win in race one.

Go to Layline.com or call 800-273-9491 and if you order $200 or more in Gill gear get a FREE Gill Race Series Technical Shirt (as worn by Clean and Team). We hope you all have enjoyed SA's OTWA coverage of the America's Cup.

Congratulations on your convincing win in race 1.

After you passed Alinghi the upwind leg, for a short time they began to close the gap again before you got USA-17 back into gear. I think you had furled the headsail by this point. Was Alinghi in better wind, driving better or were you just getting used to feeling the groove without the headsail?

Also, during the race, both upwind and downwind, you seemed to be doing a better job of keeping only one hull in the water than Alinghi. How much of this is because of the ability to trim the wing more easily than a soft sail?

And finally, why would you ever again want to helm a monohull that drags lead under the water?

Alinhgi were completely deceived by the speed USA 17 entered the box and made a bad call.
Yup, they were totally hamming it up pre-race idling around with the code 0 up & 'having a hard time lifting the centre hull'.

On the BOR feed Jimmy said they had a winch problem being why they got stuck O_o

Jimmy,

15 minutes and 28 seconds, that's a hell of a lot of time between two finishes. What went through your head the first time you looked back and saw A5 literally kilometers behind you? Elation? Fervor? Relief? Sadness for them? Also, how were things on the boat during that quarter of an hour? Business as usual? Celebration? Breath holding to see just how far behind they were?

Thanks

InNeedOfSomeRestraint

What does he think of BB's claim that the line wasn't set to his liking and how much did he feel that contributed to the penalty?

Downwind, when you hit the header with extra velocity, bore down 10 to 15 and accelerated to 25 knts, did anyone crack a smile?

Jimmy,

You seem to have developed a good relationship with Glenn Ashby who in turn knows the Maquarie Innovation / Yellowpages guys really well. Any chance of you and Glenn turning up to the next LAC on a recycled yellow C Cat?

Congratulations on the win, it must be a huge relief after so long theorising about what the other boat may be good at and how they might be handled. Along that line, from an on the water decision makers perspective, what 3 things have you learned about A5 that you didn't know before and what 3 things do you think that you've showed off to A5 as a result of the time actually racing pretty even conditions?

! Doing the walk over the beam did you ever get close to the Swan dive?

What about the orange box and swimmer in race 1, whats up with that?

Tell Jimmy I've reserved him a login here at Sailing Anarchy....

He said he pushed the boat harder today than ever, how so?

What was he thinking when he realized he was outpointing A5?

(Or has he known that for a while?)

what is the first thing Larry and Russel said to you after the race??

did you expect to walk away from A5 so easily??

What was your fun-meter pegged at??

Ask Jimmy...

How hard did they push the boat on the last leg?

And of course...How's it feel to be skipper of the fastest America's Cup yacht in history?

Ask Jimmy...

How hard did they push the boat on the last leg?

And of course...How's it feel to be skipper of the fastest America's Cup yacht in history?

Already answered: He DOES smile

4356709421_ce29c6e41d_o.jpg

Congratulations on the win, it must be a huge relief after so long theorising about what the other boat may be good at and how they might be handled. Along that line, from an on the water decision makers perspective, what 3 things have you learned about A5 that you didn't know before and what 3 things do you think that you've showed off to A5 as a result of the time actually racing pretty even conditions?

Never mind, the questions are now moot.

Does Mr. Spithill think that he could be the next ambassador to our sport? Could he be the next Michael Jordan of sailing in respect to being the face of what youth sailors want to become?

OK, I gotta say it. I don't give a flying F about hot chicks or anyone's opinion. I wanna see the boats and quite frankly, You had a chance to show thwe boats all of the time and you didn't. The VE is interesting as a perspective, but you focused on it most fo the time. Just another bullshit session brought to us by the raging egos.

Let's watch the sailing guys.

OK, I gotta say it. I don't give a flying F about hot chicks or anyone's opinion. I wanna see the boats and quite frankly, You had a chance to show thwe boats all of the time and you didn't. The VE is interesting as a perspective, but you focused on it most fo the time. Just another bullshit session brought to us by the raging egos.

fuck off, newb. clean and crew gave us color, detail and insight nearly round the clock. if it didn't add to your appreciation of this event, you weren't paying attention.

fuck off, ya little wanker.

So basically you wanted SA to show you exactly the same thing you could have seen from THREE OTHER FUCKING STREAMS AT THE SAME TIME?

ffs I applaud them for doing something different!

So basically you wanted SA to show you exactly the same thing you could have seen from THREE OTHER FUCKING STREAMS AT THE SAME TIME?

+1

+1

I'd say ditto. But she's far too polite. Guy's a yutz.