Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

phomchick

News from San francisco City Hall Event

From a senior member of the design team: USA displacement is about 15 tons. Also, "Why would you go back to slow boats?"

From a senior member of the design team: USA displacement is about 15 tons. Also, "Why would you go back to slow boats?"

Last night JS said he was "hooked on multihulls" http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php...t&p=2747431

"cheese" the wing trimmer and JK brother in law commented that mainsheet/traveler loads were 20 tons on soft rig and 2 tons on wing rig. They used a commercail garage door opener remote to "trim" the wing

post-1447-1266701530_thumb.jpg

Apparent wind angles are 15 to 17 deg upwind and 20 to 30 downwind.

That's incredible!

From at the blog now, LE received a key to the city, pretty incredible too, isn't that normally reserved for heads of state?

--

Saturday, February 20, 2010

The key to the city

Just a quick note from the event - still happening - at San Francisco town hall. Mayor Gavin Newsom has just presented Larry Ellison and the BMW ORACLE Racing team with a key to the city. In doing so, Mayor Newsome paid tribute to the characteristics that he thinks would make his city a perfect venue to host the 34th America's Cup.

"This is a city of dreamers and doers and entrepreneurs and innovators - a city that has always been on the leading and cutting edge. So it is right and proper that we celebrate this accomplishment and hope that the Defence of this Cup will be right here on San Francisco Bay."

The crowd of hundreds on hand erupted in applause.

They were equally enthusiastic with Larry Ellison noted: "This has always been my favourite place to sail! Where else in the world can you get 28 knots of wind - every day - guaranteed? It's a fantastic place to hold a sailboat race, especially the America's Cup."

A press conference is scheduled to begin in a few minutes, so we'll have more from San Francisco shortly.

--

and from an entry last night:

--

Mike Drummond, design director, was asked what the top speed of the USA would be. He said while it would be hard to get to 50 knots, he would expect in perfect conditions, you could approach that number. The fastest the USA has been sailed by the team is 42 knots, in about 15 knots of wind.

--

Awesome shots, love every moment that cup is in the USA. Awesome job guys!

Larry's son had a film crew in Valencia and will be doing a 90 minute documentary.

That will be good. Hope it is not too one sided and a reasonable footage is given to Alinghi also.

Pls let us know when it comes out.

Same film of the DZ model that was previously inside the BOR base in Valencia.

former i14 world champ zack berkowitz standing there at the end (curly hair)

Here's a pic from in Valencia, you can see it more clearly than in the film above. It looks very accurate and it may even sail fast.

33v144k.jpg

Can't see RC ? Was he around ?

Looks like RC in post 8's second photo, the group shot on the stairs. He is standing to Melinda E's left.

Love to put that on a pond in a stuff breeze and see what it would do...

Maybe the next AC can be in these sized boats, RC style lol

Here's a pic from in Valencia, you can see it more clearly than in the film above. It looks very accurate and it may even sail fast.

33v144k.jpg

It was a fantastic event so glad I got to share it with my kids!!.........great to see alot of you there!!!!

RC was there - I was standing just behind where he was sitting between JS and TE. Great event. I didn't have any expectation other than I'd get to see the Cup and a few of the main guys. Glad they brought more people - all (or at least most) of the crew, some of the main design team, etc. Was quite the show. The Mayor didn't even hog the mic, which could be a first. And then TE played MC and asked JS, RC, and JK each a question so it wasn't just a couple of speeches.

Afterwards there was a scrum for autographs but they were giving out posters and hats and I was happy to see some of the people give way to the kids, but not always. I'm thrilled I got to go. My friend has the camera so no photos, but will post later if there's anything different than what's already been posted.

Larry's son had a film crew in Valencia and will be doing a 90 minute documentary.

That will be good. Hope it is not too one sided and a reasonable footage is given to Alinghi also.

It's by Larry's son and it is about Larry's quest for the cup. There won't be much Alinghi in it. The most surprising dialog in the four-minute preview they showed was Larry saying "It took me a long time, but I finally realized this was not the BMW/Oracle team, it was the American team!"

I missed my chance to get into the press conference (I let TE get away). Was there anything notable said there?

A few photos from today's event...

The Cup and security / George Schultz / Larry gets the key to the city

post-31070-1266715054_thumb.jpg

post-31070-1266715068_thumb.jpg

post-31070-1266715081_thumb.jpg

More photos...

Spithill, Coutts, Ehman / Mayor Newsom, Ellison, Spithill, Kosecki, Coutts / the Team

post-31070-1266715138_thumb.jpg

post-31070-1266715151_thumb.jpg

post-31070-1266715164_thumb.jpg

More photos...

post-20594-1266715670_thumb.jpg

Where is Tom going with his hand???

(Well, we always presumed a good working atmosphere at BOR ;) )

Thank you all for the great photos/coverage!!!

Thank you all for the great photos/coverage!!!

My pleasure! I only wish there was a way to identify SA members at these events. I managed to talk to Russell Coutts about RHough's idea for maxi boats racing inshore and offshore in San Francisco (he didn't seem convinced) and I met the former Commodore of St. Francis Yacht Club (a real gentleman). It was a really fun event!

A few photos from today's event...

The Cup and security / George Schultz / Larry gets the key to the city

Geez, George Schultz. I should have pushed the bro harder to get down there.........................

USA displacement is about 15 tons.
Metric or US? Either way, lighter than generally thought.

Am I the only person who doesn't like the most recent add on to the cup? Somehow it seems to muck up the balance.

Its too short or the curvature is wrong or something, just doesn't look right.

Might have been better to go for a convex curvature or a bigger outward step rather than matching the existing addon?

USA displacement is about 15 tons.
Metric or US? Either way, lighter than generally thought.

I didn't ask, but assume that is metric. Certainly lighter than generally thought, and from the answer I got, I suspect it is lighter than this.

Boat design will depend on area chosen, but a 50' length seemed to get mentioned..I think via Russell when asked about design posibilities

Uh ??

From a senior member of the design team: upwind VMG is about 1.4-1.5 x TWS and VMG downwind is about 1.8 x TWS.

Thanks, and here's a more direct link for that one on one

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=7288043

Worth a watch

Based on Larry's comments here, and some things that Mike Drummond said, I think there's a real possibility of multi-hulls in the next AC match.

Boat design will depend on area chosen, but a 50' length seemed to get mentioned..I think via Russell when asked about design posibilities

Uh ??

It really surprised me, the 60' multihull comments LE made in the one on one. They seem to be seriously considering it - fast, entertaining Generation-X boats with on board cameras and mikes, helicopters, screaming up and down the Bay in 40 minutes races. Wow..

edit: what pjh said too

After listening to LE, he seems to have it together. He wants his home of SF to have first dibs. If it does not work-out, then maybe SD. If that does not work, then let's look around. Very practical for someone who could almost try, like someone else we know, to dictate what and how things would be.

I am curious to see how things progress. I look forward to the best.

from SF Chronicle

--

America's Cup debuts briefly at City Hall

Ryan Kim, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, February 20, 2010

(02-20) 15:34 PST San Francisco -- Hundreds of yacht racing fans descended on San Francisco City Hall Saturday to welcome the return of the America's Cup to U.S. soil and campaign for its defense on San Francisco's Bay.

Images

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, left, and BMW Oracle Ra...James Spithill, skipper and helmsman of BMW Oracle, admir...Sailing fans photograph the America's Cup following a hom...

Six days after capturing the America's Cup off the waters of Valencia, Spain, the BMW Oracle Racing team headed by Oracle CEO and founder Larry Ellison led a triumphant homecoming for the Cup. The crowd was packed with members of the Golden Gate Yacht Club, which sponsored Ellison's team and will host the Cup after a national victory tour.

For many, the sight of the gleaming silver trophy was like beholding a religious relic, brimming with history and significance. Fans hovered nearby for pictures while soaring music and videos of the race played.

"It's terrific, it's exciting. Look at the size of it," said Stewart Morton, 71, a longtime San Francisco sailor. "We've always wanted it and this is the first time we finally got it."

Though many were happy just celebrating the win, talk quickly turned to hosting the event. Traditionally, the winner's yacht club hosts the next America's Cup races, which could happen in three to four years.

But there are questions about whether Ellison and the Golden Gate Yacht Club can stage a successful race locally. The primary concerns revolve around building a sailing village, providing rival teams areas for their own bases and negotiating the heavy cargo traffic traveling through the Bay.

Ellison met with San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom before the celebration to talk about hosting the next contest.

Ellison made clear he would love a chance to host the event locally, where it could bring in $1 billion in revenue. However, he's also being wooed by San Diego and Rhode Island, which have both hosted America's Cup.

He said a final decision would come within a few months.

"This has always been my favorite place to sail," he told the crowd. "Where else can you have 28 knots of breeze every day? It's a fantastic place to hold a sailboat race, especially America's Cup."

Newsom, for his part, said the city has identified about six locations for a sailing village and is exploring the possibility of building at the sites. He said races on San Francisco Bay could be viewed live by half a million people from points like Crissy Field, Treasure Island and possibly the new Bay Bridge with its planned pedestrian walkway.

"It would be a transformative experience to bring the oldest game to the biggest audience in the world," said "We will do whatever it takes to make this happen."

For local fans, the thought of not defending America's Cup locally is heartbreaking.

"As someone from the Bay Area, it's really special to think we could have the boats actually race in the Bay," said Karl Robrock, 30, from Alameda. "It'd be the first time in history here."

Los Altos resident Bobbi Callison, a 20-year member of the Golden Gate Yacht Club said it would be a dream come true.

"San Francisco Bay is busy but in terms of beauty, water, wind and currents, it's an ideal place to sail," she said.

Dozens of fans were left disappointed Saturday afternoon when organizers removed the Cup an hour earlier than announced in order to transport it San Diego for the first leg of a planned victory tour.

E-mail Ryan Kim at rkim@sfchronicle.com

--

Uh ??

It really surprised me, the 60' multihull comments LE made in the one on one. They seem to be seriously considering it - fast, entertaining Generation-X boats with on board cameras and mikes, helicopters, screaming up and down the Bay in 40 minutes races. Wow..

I had a short discussion with Russell Coutts, and he also seemed to be considering boats that would "engage the younger generation." I think multi-hulls are a real possibility for the next cup.

Uh ??

It really surprised me , the 60' multihull comments LE made in the one on one. They seem to be seriously considering it - fast, entertaining Generation-X boats with on board cameras and mikes, helicopters, screaming up and down the Bay in 40 minutes races. Wow..

You tell me! My jaw dropped under the sofa - really sounded like a convert and very rational, too.

But: soft sail ORMAs - I just cannot believe it, the French would walk away with the Cup ..

Cup on display in SF City Hall.
More writing on the bottom section than I'd expected, do they engrave all the sailors on the winning team or something?

I'd always assumed it just had the Date, Boat & Club names.

More writing on the bottom section than I'd expected, do they engrave all the sailors on the winning team or something?

I looked at it closely but the smaller print was hard to read, even from < 3' away, and they've been pretty guarded about how close you can get. The more recent matches are at the bottom of the cup, I could not read anything much higher very well, and the print size at the top is very small - I think you'd need to be within 12" to read it.

When it returns to GGYC I'll try to get a closer look and some close up photos.

I looked at it closely but the smaller print was hard to read, even from < 3' away, and they've been pretty guarded about how close you can get. The more recent matches are at the bottom of the cup, I could not read anything much higher very well, and the print size at the top is very small - I think you'd need to be within 12" to read it.

When it returns to GGYC I'll try to get a closer look and some close up photos.

The bottom shows the winning team's winning race and the time deltas. The last entry says something like Alinghi v Team New Zealand 'less than one second'

Actually what Larry said is that it will emphasize/focus on the challenge of AC 33. He's paying for it and saying its his perpsective so I'm ok with that. Get EB to pay for a documentary on the defense of AC 33.

I asked JS what he thought about multihulls, "I'm hooked!"

Worth a watch

Based on Larry's comments here, and some things that Mike Drummond said, I think there's a real possibility of multi-hulls in the next AC match.

Sorry we missed ID'ing so many Anarchists. It was a fun day, and all parties kept saying they do whatever it took to bring AC34 to SF. The Mayor was presented with a BMWOR team jacket, and LE seemed genuinly touched to get the key to the city.

At one point, someone (the Mayor I believe) asked "who here are sailors?" and almost every hand went up. I guess there were 400 - 500 people in the Rotunda. Too bad JS did not ask "who here are Anarchists?"

We thought there would be a media op with the Cup being brought up the steps of City Hall, and we were ready out front with our signage. But it had been spirited into the building before opening time, and was already set up when we were admitted at 11:00. Security was tight -- lots of black SUVs out front, guys with earpieces inside. Everyone had to pass a metal detector, amazingly they did not confiscate my rigging knife which I leave in my jacket pocket. Our signs were confiscated at the security station. All part of living in the Land of the Free, the Home of the Brave.

More pics here.

Worth a watch

Uncle Larry has 60 foot multi's in his head that would be cheaper to build and more of a one design like RC44's. To me that doesn't make sense for BMWO to want that. A lot harder for them to utilize designers if its a strict one design multi. Then again I know dick about designing boats.

Seems like RC's long lost WSL boats are making a come back. Wasn't one or two of those boats built already in Portugal?

WSL unveil new 70ft catamaran which they claim will be the fastest one-design boat ever built 26/07/07

34g51er.jpg

Here is a 2007 article on the WSL 70' Cat:

http://www.yachtingworld.com/news/415374/w...il-new-70ft-cat

WetHog :ph34r:

I had a short discussion with Russell Coutts, and he also seemed to be considering boats that would "engage the younger generation." I think multi-hulls are a real possibility for the next cup.

I was right behind pjh when he was chatting with RC. Had a chance for the following exchange before RC went off for the press conference/

Me: Russel, Congratulations! Great job, and thanks. (Shake his hand) And can you tell John to COVER. Nearly gave a lot of us a heart attack.

Russel: Yeah, but that was a great Layline call, wasn't it?

I sure hope they do multihulls :D

But they better not be one-design!

Where's Arnie!? The Governator hoisting the Cup would be awesome!

There is apparently going to be a 'special mystery guest' in San Diego today, think the report said they will also be on board the America in the flotilla carrying the Cup from the USS Midway to the SDYC at 1800. Could possibly be the Gubernator, no idea yet. Another good possibility might be DC?

When was the last time the America's Cup was celebrated in the White House? '87, DC and Ronald Reagan?

Pretty big news here, if this is true:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/artic...7282&pnum=0

Soon, Mason was lining up in his sixth America's Cup and the rest is history.

BMW Oracle went on to crush Alinghi 2-0 in the best of three showdown to return the Auld Mug to the US for the first time in 15 years.

It has been an intense six months for Mason, but he counts post-cup celebrations over the last week as the hardest. "The last few days have been pretty tough, harder than the sailing, I think," he joked.

Mason will re-join Emirates Team New Zealand for next month's Louis Vuitton series, making his way back to Auckland via the US where a number of functions have been arranged for the Oracle team, including one at the White House.

edit: DC/Reagan newsclip

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1320...pg=4919,2710377

Not the best, but it's what I got. I showed up late and couldn't get my gear set up in the media section, so I just handheld from the back:

I'll get part 4 sometime.

SCC,

Thanks for capturing and posting the video of the SF event.

Not sure if anyone else caught it, but I thought it was interesting to note of LE's comments of the potential challengers, he named China, South Africa, New Zealand, Sweden, France and Italy. Guess he overlooked England and Switzerland.

SCC,

Thanks for capturing and posting the video of the SF event.

Not sure if anyone else caught it, but I thought it was interesting to note of LE's comments of the potential challengers, he named China, South Africa, New Zealand, Sweden, France and Italy. Guess he overlooked England and Switzerland.

Yes, thank you for taking the time to get the vids.

I think LE did say 'the Brits' in his list. May have to take another listen to be sure, but definitly no Swiss.

The Team China base in Valencia was ready to be demolished if you ask me, it was now used by fisherman to mend their nets.

I think LE did say 'the Brits' in his list. May have to take another listen to be sure, but definitly no Swiss.

He Said:

"…this has always been my favorite place to sail, what other place in the world can you get 28 knots of breeze, everyday, guaranteed, it's a fantastic place…We'll look forward to hosting Team New Zealand, Team South Africa, the Swedes and the Brits, the French, the Chinese, the Italians, all of those teams from all over the world once again will be competing for the oldest trophy in sport, The America's Cup! We'll be competing in your city."

He said some pretty cool shit actually. Stand by...

Where's Arnie!? The Governator hoisting the Cup would be awesome!

Ah ... as a European from high central mountainous regions, he is on EB's side that Europeans cannot achieve anything as the system in America is biased against them. ;)

Here is the little preview of Larry's son's video. Excuse my handy-cam Clean-esque jiggles.

Here is the little preview of Larry's son's video. Excuse my handy-cam Clean-esque jiggles.

Very cool, thank you for doing this.

Off topic here but was watching a little video from Valencia and suddenly saw myself in it, heading out for Race 1! Small world..

frame

post-17804-1266774800_thumb.jpg

video

he named China, South Africa, New Zealand, Sweden, France and Italy. Guess he overlooked England and Switzerland.

There is a very clear reason for this. Team Origin and those English fags (edith cresson, PM of France on the English: 25% of them are gay) are ass kissing losers of the highest order. They lined up to suck Ernie's dick when he had the cup and said whatever Ernie told them to say against BMWO. I sure hope they don't even think of showing up for this cup cycle. Maybe it is better for their safety if they don't visit California in the next round. My advice, sit this one out you tea sipping faggots - uh, well, as I've been informed by my respected french colleagues.

As HHN92 pointed out above he did include the Brits, but not the Swiss. I' sure it was a simple oversight.

As I recall they kept volunteering to try and mediate an agreement between BMWO and Alinghi, and also claimed success with the 33rd protocol challenger negotiations. What a joke.

he named China, South Africa, New Zealand, Sweden, France and Italy. Guess he overlooked England and Switzerland.

There is a very clear reason for this. Team Origin and those English fags (edith cresson, PM of France on the English: 25% of them are gay) are ass kissing losers of the highest order. They lined up to suck Ernie's dick when he had the cup and said whatever Ernie told them to say against BMWO. I sure hope they don't even think of showing up for this cup cycle. Maybe it is better for their safety if they don't visit California in the next round. My advice, sit this one out you tea sipping faggots - uh, well, as I've been informed by my respected french colleagues.

What exactly is the point of this post? A little insecure in our sexuality? Jeezus...

As HHN92 pointed out above he did include the Brits, but not the Swiss. I' sure it was a simple oversight.

As I recall they kept volunteering to try and mediate an agreement between BMWO and Alinghi, and also claimed success with the 33rd protocol challenger negotiations. What a joke.

Origin - the only team having a worse performance than China at AC32 - came out with a very big fucking mouth saying that Oracle was wrong to deny Bertie his fantasy. Well fuck them. Why is it that the English having the weakest platform of all were the loudest? Because they wanted special consideration from the Swiss. That posture cost BMWO considerably in the early days when the publicity warfare EB was engaging had some credibility. OK, FF a few years and tell me why should Origin be included in anything now? They are idiots - they don't have AC experience, they don't have boats, they don't have a team. It is merely one rich loudmouth who tried to fuck Ellison last round. Let the Swiss and English go have tea on top of the mountain - the sailing community is done with their bullshit.

What exactly is the point of this post? A little insecure in our sexuality? Jeezus...

that is funny coming from a guy in SF. Hey, I didn't come to any conclusions one way or another re gay stuff. In fact, I cited my source - weigh that against what was said to draw your own conclusions. My sexuality has nothing to do with it. I freaking love fags - its the English I have a beef with. I hope AC34 will be totally surrounded with SF fags!!! The more the merrier! "he's a fairy fellow!!!" - as FM would say.

that is funny coming from a guy in SF. Hey, I didn't come to any conclusions one way or another re gay stuff. In fact, I cited my source - weigh that against what was said to draw your own conclusions. My sexuality has nothing to do with it. I freaking love fags - its the English I have a beef with. I hope AC34 will be totally surrounded with SF fags!!! The more the merrier! "he's a fairy fellow!!!" - as FM would say.

Isn't there a way you can take a shot at the Chinese in here somehow? Oh that's right, already did!

lmao

Isn't there a way you can take a shot at the Chinese in here somehow? Oh that's right, already did!

lmao

I've got nothing against the Chinese, in fact, I love chicken fried rice and those damn won-ton things. Besides, they really know what's going on when it comes to those service women who understand that a mouth is not for talking. I love Chinese!

Origin - the only team having a worse performance than China at AC32 - came out with a very big fucking mouth saying that Oracle was wrong to deny Bertie his fantasy.

Team Origin didn't take part in AC32. No British team did. If you're going to spout bigoted crap, at least try to get your facts vaguely right.

Origin - the only team having a worse performance than China at AC32 - came out with a very big fucking mouth saying that Oracle was wrong to deny Bertie his fantasy.

Team Origin didn't take part in AC32. No British team did. If you're going to spout bigoted crap, at least try to get your facts vaguely right.

Hey! way to go genius! you figured it out. The last place team, China, did even better than Origin which failed to show up - "an even worse performance than China". Get it dumb-ass? Origin has a big fucking mouth about how things should be run for someone who couldn't even get a boat to the venue. Stupid fucking Brits. Since the first day we took the cup off them, they haven't got their hands on it once. The English = 150+ years of total failure in sailing's biggest competition; and then Mills comes in and starts telling BMO that Ernie is right - fuck that.

Now, who's got their facts vaguely right - dumbshit? Leave it to a Londoner to fuck that one up.

Hey! way to go genius! you figured it out. The last place team, China, did even better than Origin which failed to show up - "an even worse performance than China". Get it dumb-ass? Origin has a big fucking mouth about how things should be run for someone who couldn't even get a boat to the venue. Stupid fucking Brits. Since the first day we took the cup off them, they haven't got their hands on it once. The English = 150+ years of total failure in sailing's biggest competition; and then Mills comes in and starts telling BMO that Ernie is right - fuck that.

They didn't try to get a boat to the venue in AC32 since they didn't exist as a team...

Origin challenged under the original protocol for AC33 so had a right as a challenger to express an opinion about that cup cycle. Personally, I think Mills was a bit poodle-ish but there you go.

They didn't try to get a boat to the venue in AC32

Origin challenged under the original protocol for AC33 so had a right as a challenger to express an opinion about that cup cycle. Personally, I think Mills was a bit poodle-ish but there you go.

Not trying to get a boat to the venue is an even worse performance!!!

"Mills was a bit poodle-ish" is a putting it mildly. He used his big fucking mouth to discredit what BMWO worked very hard for - merely to win points with Dirty Ernie. What a disgrace to slander a good hard working team - it order to win favor from a cheating scoudrel. But, this can be expected as norm in Europe where raping your neighbor via deceit is daily bread.

Good riddance Europe! At least when the Aussies and Kiwis take the cup they do it fairly.

Here's another article from a local silicon valley paper - a good read.

Silicon Alley Insider

I'd like to see this....

Alinghi had to do a 270-degree penalty

More evidence of the technical failings of the liberal education set.