Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AllezCatMan

2011 TransPac WANTS Multihulls- Finally Our Time has Come

Ahoy Gang. From the Desk of Pete Nangle 949-322-8814 Certified Marine Surveyor

The NOR was published this week for TP 2011. The old Allez Cat has long since left this world, but we have a recently bought a way cool cross 40 currently named Akimbo, and have fixed her up for ocean passages. We sailed in the 79 and 81 Transpacs hosted by ORCA, and had the time of our lives. The urge is back and the old guard at the TPYC have finally decided we should be included too. I'm going to feel awfully stupid if we are the only boat to go, and have to represent the whole multihull world. So, all you cats get your thinkin hats on and see if it may be in the cards. YOU CAN DO IT!! LIFE is too friggin short to not do this. If the official rules say you have to have an escape hatch, cut one or ask for a waiver. Just do it. I think all consideration will be given to help fill this class and start a new ERA. And another thing, dont anybody tell my grumpy old DAD that we are doing this. I will kidnap the old SOB if he even thinks about missing this. He's 85. We are Going. Period. Now we need the Lenemans, Reynolds,Steins, Wetzlers, Kanes, Hanels, Seamans, Alters, Choys, of the world to start planning NOW, and prepare to be chased down by some old farts in an old Tri.

Get your Zippy 8 day boats washed, waxed and ready to Rock. Cause we are coming after ya. The 11 day boat will be enjoying the ride..... attached find the NOR See you there.

You forgot Gibbs and Afterburner...

I was thinking the same thing. I'l bet Mike is on the phone right now trying to talk him into it.

Come on Bill, set the record for us cat sailors.

What's the minimum length? I was thinking doublehanded Pac Cup in 2012 if I can build enough confidence in my platform. Not there yet.

Just Listed who came into my brain after Java. If we had a socal hall of fame, these guys would all be there including Gibbs, Victor Stern, Norm Cross, Jack Swart, Bowie H, and quite a few more. We had some great races, and fun times. Fun to remember, like the end of transpac days. PRICELESS.

And I'll do it.... Fuck Off Newbie haha...... self service....

Will be interesting to see what sort of "safety rules" er castration factor is assigned to the multis. Can't be having one pinching the Barn Door now can we?

Get an R33 and go for it.

If it flies,****,or floats,rent it.

What's the minimum length? I was thinking doublehanded Pac Cup in 2012 if I can build enough confidence in my platform. Not there yet.

On the Weta?

Will be interesting to see what sort of "safety rules" er castration factor is assigned to the multis. Can't be having one pinching the Barn Door now can we?

Nah, nothing more than a self righting requirement.

And I'd bet they won't be eligible for the barn door.

Nah., not the weta, the big boat, Contour 34. Put us in the "cruisey" class. Before you ask "What's it rate" - it rates 30 Norcal BAMA PHRF. It's not a negative rater.

Barn door will be mono's , they have some new one for multis.

(Could be the called alot of fun things.... like the outhouse door or ??)

not self righting, following the Euro boys specifications and their big tri's for safety equip

Dam you asshats are going to make me read this thing.....

45 ft min

Ahoy Gang. From the Desk of Pete Nangle 949-322-8814 Certified Marine Surveyor

The NOR was published this week for TP 2011. The urge is back and the old guard at the TPYC have finally decided we should be included too. I'm going to feel awfully stupid if we are the only boat to go, and have to represent the whole multihull world.

I'm missing something. The 2009 Rules and Regulations have such for multihulls - inlcuding the 45 foot (ridiculous) minimum length that Mitch cites above. However, you seem to indicate that the next race, 2011, is special in that MH's will be allowed for the first time in a while - or how I read it. Either way, 45 feet is too long for a minimum in my reading of multihull racing history.

-phillip

2009 TPYC Rules

Multihull Fleet

1) Multihulls are unrestricted both in maximum length and rating.

2) Multihull ratings for handicap awards shall be assigned by TPYC.

3) The number of multihulls required to qualify the fleet is 2. Depending on entries the TPYC board may waive this requirement.

4) The minimum Multihull length is 45 feet, however consideration may be given to slightly smaller multihulls which meet recognized multihull stability standards.

5) In addition to recognizing the monohull course records on the existing Course Record Trophy, the multihull records will also be recognized by a separate column of plaques and models on that same trophy. The two boats which have already set multihull records will be added. To qualify for this trophy, multihulls shall race in accordance with RRS 51 or 52.

6) Non course record multihull contenders may use power sail handling with the same provisions at monohulls.

Pac cup is for us little guys

TPYC never let multis in before last year. They picked a number 45' for min length, and nobody signed up.

I only heard about it sitting in a bar the year before, when a board member started talking about it.

They really never got the word out either.

ORCA sponsored the renegade race that left at the same time and ended at the same place in years past.

They havent published their 2011 set of rules, but they were so dissapointed last year that nobody came,

that i'm betting it will be lowered to about 40, to let me in at least. Last night I penned a letter.....

I'm sure they want blue water ocean boats and won't go for F27's or R33s....

My bet is a nice Spindrift 37 will get in (Jerry)

Macgregor 36 probably not, but could waiver and try.

A review board to review every boat is what I'm proposing.

I'll call my contact to see what they are thinkin this time and report back tomorrow.

It says :

3.5 MULTIHULL YACHTS:

3.5.1 Multihulls are unrestricted both in maximum length and rating.

3.5.2 Multihull ratings for handicap awards shall be assigned by TPYC. Sufficient measurement and certificate

information must be included with a multihull entry to enable TPYC to determine a handicap.

3.5.3 The number of multihulls required to qualify the fleet is 2. Depending on entries the TPYC Board may

waive this requirement.

3.5.4 The minimum Multihull length is 45 feet; however consideration may be given to slightly smaller Multihulls

which meet recognized multihull stability standards such as ISO 12217.

I'll have to check it.... I've got 5 bucks that says I'll get in with a 40'er

experience of the skipper is a factor, and if you throw good parties it helps....

Word from an occasionally reliable source was the 45 foot min limit was set to keep the Formula 40's out. That would be a handful for sure.

Hmmm... recognized stability standards like ISO 12217 huh? If you check out the ISAF OSR they don't refer to ISO 12217 for multi stability because it's basically nothing and very few serious performance multis would meet it. Plus what ISO category are they referring to? category A for stability would basically mean a condomaran as you have to be large and heavy to meet the one quantitative requirement. Sounds like somebody didn't bother to check with anybody who new something about multis before they wrote the race requirement.

Well I know one of the owners of "Nice Pair" would like to do this race, but if the minimum length requirement is 40', then that would leave us out and from hauling the thing all the way out there. With that said, if anyone needs crew...PM me.

Well I know one of the owners of "Nice Pair" would like to do this race, but if the minimum length requirement is 40', then that would leave us out and from hauling the thing all the way out there. With that said, if anyone needs crew...PM me.

Me too

I started writing something positive which I quickly deleted. TPYC is NOT interested in anything that is a liability for them. Much like overnight and offshore multi racing almost anywhere race organisers don't want to get involved with " boats that can turn over". That is why they pick a minimum length and a stability factor that not many will meet. I have done 21 races to Hawaii and would do it in a heartbeat on a multi. TPYC loves to cover their ass and letting your average multi go wont be in the cards for quite a while yet. Our time is not now and very well may never be.

I started writing something positive which I quickly deleted. TPYC is NOT interested in anything that is a liability for them. Much like overnight and offshore multi racing almost anywhere race organisers don't want to get involved with " boats that can turn over". That is why they pick a minimum length and a stability factor that not many will meet. I have done 21 races to Hawaii and would do it in a heartbeat on a multi. TPYC loves to cover their ass and letting your average multi go wont be in the cards for quite a while yet. Our time is not now and very well may never be.

That is too bad to hear. But certainly have a lot of experience with it here. We have fought the good fight here on the Great Lakes and continue to do so thanks to REW and Gougeons and others who have worked tirelessly to make sure their are stringent regulations to calm the nerves of race organizers. I hope that the time will come for you all as well.

FWIW, Chris White recommends a minimum of 40' and 100,000 ft-lb of righting moment for a blue-water cruising trimaran. A racer would have more beam and be lighter, so a minimum righting moment criterion makes sense for requiring a certain size vessel.

The best thing I've seen on both wind- and wave-induced capsize is Barry Deakin's "Model Tests to Study Capsize and Stability of Sailing Multihulls". Admittedly this was aimed at cruisers and not racers, and had only limited coverage of trimarans, but at least he has some criteria based on systematic tests.

they refer to ISO 12217 as an established reference for multihull stability but even the ISAF OSRs don't make reference to it for multis. Plus what ISO category are they requiring? The statement is nebulous and in no way implies safety.