Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Breakfast With Bruno

So look guys - I am on the penultimate leg of Dubai-JFK-ATL-Charleston; a marathon that taught me that Delta first class is awesome especially with Wi-Fi, that Emirates Airlines has fallen from grace in a big way, and that it sucks to fly with an infected ear.

Anyway, I've been chatting with Bruno Peyron since he announced the next edition of The Race - certainly the coolest sailing concept ever IMO - and he's agreed to sit down and talk to me about everything; Groupama about to smash his record, the future of RTW records, the safety of these boats, the effect of the AC on all of it, the Extreme 40s, of course everything possible about The Race, and whatever else pops into my head - and yours. We'll do it like I did Knut Frostad: Skype, minimal editing, and up on SA.

So please post your Bruno Peyron questions here.

I'm really curious on his input about Groupama, like does he think there's a chance the record will hold or it's just gotten get blown away?

I'm really curious on his input about Groupama, like does he think there's a chance the record will hold or it's just gotten get blown away?

What is his current position regarding tri vs catamaran for the Jules Verne (or The Race) ? (when somehow all the last boats are tris)

Has he a boat project of his own for the race ? :)

For their record start, did they look at the South Atlantic situation (going down) or was it just luck ?

Does he think a boat could not only stay in front of systems in the south, but even hop from one to the one in front ?

What does he think are the chances of the MOD70 becomming the new ORMA´s and establishing themselves as in the long run.

Will we see a MOD70 participate in "the race"

Does he think that the next edition after the first one, will be all on foilers (Hydropytere)

Why has been O2 not sailing for so many years ? - I'm big fan of cats :) and was a bit dissapointed when the The Race cat's vanished and then O2 too.

Will (ex-)Orange 2 be competing again at the top after almost 6 years or better make another boat from scratch ?

How about Gitana 13 or the others cats from The Race ? Jet Services V, Enza-NZ had very long lives, in comparison.

Cats vs. Tris (vs. Foilers if Hidroptere finally goes from in-shore to off-shore ) 

Bigger is better or over 100' there are also drawbacks -expenses aside. Is the limit how much sail the crew can manage ? 

Omani's A-100 concept from well proven Sodebo (and Idec) vs. new MOD-70 for off-shore races. 

Off-shore wing-sails ?

Is there any truth to the rumor that Bruno will be using O2 in the Route du Rhum?

What would his new boat look like if he were building one for The Race?

Will there be more than one class within The Race?

Does he know of any kite powered projects interested in a Race boat?

Whatever happened to his Pogo 2 Mini Transat campaign from a few years back? I though he showed promise.

Is he a Sailing Anarchy reader?

Is there any truth to the rumor that Bruno will be using O2 in the Route du Rhum?

What would his new boat look like if he were building one for The Race?

Will there be more than one class within The Race?

Does he know of any kite powered projects interested in a Race boat?

Whatever happened to his Pogo 2 Mini Transat campaign from a few years back? I though he showed promise.

Is he a Sailing Anarchy reader?

A lot of those questions were answered in this french interview :

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/course-regate/article/2892/the-race-2-le-retour-interview-bruno-peyron-idealiste-du-multicoque

i can translate it if you want ;)

On RTW runs, how much of the routing is influenced by seastate forecasts? More and more the comments coming from G-class multi's but also from the VOR are about seastate and their influence.

Are there reliable systems available for forecasting the seastate?

How big is the influence of seastate? good vs bad, 20%? 30%?

Merci pour le lien !

Some teasing :)

About The Race:

Bruno: " il n’y a pas de surprise : les trimarans sont plus rapides que les catas dans des vents légers et médiums. Le jeu est probablement égal dans 20-25 nœuds. Et dans des mers difficiles, les tris ont beaucoup plus de difficultés ; on voit bien que dès qu’ils en rencontrent, ils sont forcés de s’écarter. Le suspens de la course dépendra donc des conditions que l’on rencontrera !"

No surprise there: trimarans are faster in light to middle winds, both play equal in 20-25 knots. And in difficult seas, tris have more problems; we can see that as soon as they find them, they must bear away . The suspense of the race will depend on the conditions that we will find.

About the MOD 70' :

Bruno: "... sauf qu’ils ont choisi de ne pas en faire un bateau qualifié pour le Grand Sud. […] Ce choix stratégique différent, et respectable, les empêchera par conséquent de prendre part à The Race"

... but they have chosen to not make a boat qualified for the Big South. [..] This different, and respectable, strategic choice, will not allow them in consequence to enter The Race.

... hmmm ... you can toss out my question about A100 vs MOD70, interesting the MOD80 : kind a D35 enlarged: some of the advantages of a tri over a cat, but still like a cat in the light air - hard seas / tri-cat comparison ?

Also answered questions on O2 competitiveness:

Bruno Peyron est catégorique : le mythique catamaran Orange 2 serait tout à fait compétitif pour courir "The Race 2", une fois rebaptisé et passé en chantier.

Bruno Peyron is categoric: the mythic catamaran Orange 2 would be completely competitive to race "The Race 2", once re-christened and refurbished.

Which young sailor has the potential to be great ?

When The Race goes off with G-class boats in 2013 or 2014 please require them to have the capacity to relay pictures, video, e-mail and updates like Groupama 3 did.

Be sure to relentlessly badger the US about not having a boat on the drawing board for this race, let alone in the water.

What are the limits of technology today in a G class boat? Are nanotubes the next big thing in boatbuilding, or are the boats too stiff as it is? 1000 mi day or 40 day RTW practical?

Can he please make The Race Jules Verne compliant this time (start and finish over the Ushuant line)? So, in winning, a competitor should win both the Race and break the Jules Verne at the same time? Otherwise, doesn't The Race seems a bit of a pyrrhic/pointless? Won't the Trophee Jules Verne still be the real raison d'etre for these G-Class multis and The Race a sideshow?

Second, how does he avoid total mismatch with these boats, as there was last time?

Can he please make The Race Jules Verne compliant this time (start and finish over the Ushuant line)? So, in winning, a competitor should win both the Race and break the Jules Verne at the same time?

+1

What does he mean by the MOD70 not being qualified for the Deep South?? (in the V&V interview)

Was wondering about that also ...

If a boat "isn't qualified for the South", knowing that you can meet "deep south conditions" in many places, even as an exception, what does it mean ?

Otherwise about having the race counts for the Jules Verne as well, don't think it is that important : first a race starts at a precise date so it would most probably be sub optimal for a record attempt, and second for any serious boat project there is plenty of time to do both.

About "Second, how does he avoid total mismatch with these boats, as there was last time?", true that there was some, but on the other hand 3 were quite the same

66 minutes and I think I got in all your questions - even the one that Bruno answered from reading the forums himself. Good stuff.

Embedded interview:

<div><object width="400" height="100"> <param name="movie" value="http://s3.amazonaws.com/stlth/static/production/swf/audio_controller.swf"></param>'>http://s3.amazonaws.com/stlth/static/production/swf/audio_controller.swf"></param> <param name="wmode" value="opaque"></param> <param name="flashvars" value="song_label=bruno peyron on 2010-03-21.mp3&music_track=http://drop.io/download/public/ynozoavbdrajljlnxula/152712d5ed1f6256a6b38bab60d2bf103d88c7f4/Asset/25711117/v3/web_preview&autoplay=false"></param> <embed src="http://s3.amazonaws.com/stlth/static/production/swf/audio_controller.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="opaque" width="400" height="100" flashvars="song_label=bruno peyron on 2010-03-21.mp3&music_track=http://drop.io/download/public/ynozoavbdrajljlnxula/152712d5ed1f6256a6b38bab60d2bf103d88c7f4/Asset/25711117/v3/web_preview&autoplay=false"> </embed> </object></div>

Download the file for your iPOD or whatever here.

66 minutes and I think I got in all your questions - even the one that Bruno answered from reading the forums himself. Good stuff.

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"><param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=10838130-b49" /><embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=10838130-b49" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></object>

Download the MP3 file for playback on your iPOD here

Thanks a lot for this, good and complete interview, interesting

great interview. It was interesting to me to find out Peyron sails on a dragon.

I hope he succeeds with his plans. It would fantastic to have more ocean racing going on.

Keep em coming, Clean.

Shit, get the message Can NOt download, limit exceeded....

Would love to hear the interview. Was looking forward to the commute tomorrow but alas... I suspect mr Clean will find another way to share the file with us, thanks in advance. I'll check back later.

ten minutes. the front page blew up 10 GB of transfer quota, going back to my original host choice (which was down for upgrades on Sunday at press time)

Two things:

1) Dit a M. Peyron qu'il a besoin d'une site internet qu'on peut retrouver sur google.

2) To whoever asked about Nano-tubes in boats, keep dreaming. They have a theoretical breaking strength of about 1 KPa, while high modulus CFRP is about 700MPa. But, nanotubes cost (unfinished, by mass) about double the price of gold. Just to add insult to injury, you don't get very much for your money, we don't have the ability to grow them long enough to be a significant advantage over CFRP, even in a lab. When you see shit like "nano-tube" bike handlebars, it means when they made the bars, the threw in 3 g of nanotubes per tonne of Carbon Fiber, and added an extra 0 to the price.