Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

what is it

We know, it's a yellow Corvette parked on the lawn by some a-hole owner. And yes, we know that calling a Corvette owner an a-hole is redundant, but do you know anything about what this boat is? Then jump on in and tell us.

what is it 3 26.jpg

We know, it's a yellow Corvette parked on the lawn by some a-hole owner. And yes, we know that calling a Corvette owner an a-hole is redundant, but do you know anything about what this boat is? Then jump on in and tell us.

the boat is pure sexyness.

Jim Donovans scaled version of GP26 just over 20'

look in the sport boat thread

forgot, what do I win? laugh.gif

Guest multitranslation

don't know, it's a nice hull though...but will you tell us in the end? cause I always fail to see the correct answer at the end of these smart ass contests here, correct me if I'm wrong!

the Hawaii plates on the corvette were a tipoff

The CORRECT answer is the Donovan D6 (for the construction guys, it takes 37.5 of these to weigh as much as a Catepillar D6), but I cheat because it's my driveway and Al's Garage and Boatshop (My Dad was Al)where Jim has created it. What started as 8 to 10 weeks in my shop has celebrated it's 9 month annivesary. I would love to say it's because Jim is slow, but that's not it. He's just a perfectionist. He spent a week building and fairning the trailer rests and they still aren't done! Trust me, this boat is going to be awesome!

BTW the guy who owns the Vette also owns a matching Chevy truck. Tacky as hell, but he's actually a pretty nice guy...and his chick is totally hot!

BTW the guy who owns the Vette also owns a matching Chevy truck. Tacky as hell, but he's actually a pretty nice guy...and his chick is totally hot!

I really hoped the Corvette belonged to Jim Donovan's wife and it was going to be the Editor shown up as the 'a-hole'. Never mind.

Hawaii plates? Christ almighty, I can't squint my eyes that much without tearing.

Did you really have a what is it for a boat that has a ten page thread on this very site?

They are cool looking cars and are AMERICAN MADE!!!!

So useless and A-hole would be a more descriptive phrase? ( :lol:

Cheers

Guest multitranslation

That's not right calling all vette owners a-holes.

What nobody knows though, is that Chevrolet has Swiss roots! Who invented it? WE THE SWISS!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet

+1

The C6 is one of the best values in performance cars anywhere. You get way more than you pay for, compared to most performance cars. It handles really well and is a very livable daily driver. It may be the best car built in America.

Yes, Corvette owners tend to reinforce the douche image, as do Porsche owners. :rolleyes: That image is main reason not to own one.

If I had one, I'd sticker it up like this:

Corvette%202003%20001.jpg

It is the new International 14 - the Shu2 out of San Diego.

Upside down for what I imagine will not be the last time.

^ mmm... like the car

^^ LOVE the boat!!

With lots of Foreign shit!

+1

The C6 is one of the best values in performance cars anywhere. You get way more than you pay for, compared to most performance cars. It handles really well and is a very livable daily driver. It may be the best car built in America.

Yes, Corvette owners tend to reinforce the douche image, as do Porsche owners. :rolleyes: That image is main reason not to own one.

If I had one, I'd sticker it up like this:

Corvette%202003%20001.jpg

Hey, blow me

Screw the cars. I identified it as JD's D6 when I saw the rudder attachment and the scoop. :rolleyes:

Guest multitranslation

In your face Scot:

we know you hate Clarkson at least as much as the Vette if not more!

Yes, Corvette owners tend to reinforce the douche image, as do Porsche owners. :rolleyes:

So do BMW drivers. Oh wait, the Ed's got an M3 hasn't he? :lol:

i was thinking about that as i posted it!

Did you really have a what is it for a boat that has a ten page thread on this very site?

see post #14 and it is a brand new pic. relax chief.

whaddaya want?

In your face Scot:

we know you hate Clarkson at least as much as the Vette if not more!

There is no way to hate Jeremy Clarkson. Top Gear is the best show on television.

Oh, and JD is awesome (check my profile pic).

I had contemplated photo-shopping out the tow vehicle in the background, but as it turns out, it has made for a much more interesting topic . . .

Perfection has it's limits.

I am at the stage of what should be expected in a custom built racing yacht where a smooth and fair hull are actually important.

Where I have addressed all the hollows in the hull, there are those almost imperceptible "bumps" that appear when you get a high gloss coating on the hull and you can detect a small wiggle in reflected images on the surface.

The problem I face is that there is very little filler and a few thin coats of primer that have been sanded to an average thickness of 1/2 a coat of paint.

So it isn't possible to sand off the bumps without sanding into the laminate.

I am at the point where I need to make a choice:

Plan A: Add a thin coat of primer to seal the raw filler and be done with it.

Plan B: Add 20 lbs of high-build primer and spend another week long-boarding so I get a "perfect" hull finish

I'm happy with Plan A

the point here is that jim has drawn a really sexy boat that is going to just be fun to sail and no doubt haul ass.

Its a boat Donovan designed and is building to beat the hell out of the rest of us Hawaii sportboaters. Thing is gonna be sick, though I haven't seen it in person and it is less than 10 minutes from my house unsure.gif

"his chick" sounded in my head just like "his car" and "his truck"

funny, that.

And the boat? I know what it is. It's surfy fast.

and where is this going?

whaddaya want?

Lets see

our troops out of Iraq & Afganistan

to go back to the Gold standard

a six pack

maybe some whiskey

I need a new BYC hat (Bayview Yacht Club)

a boat

a little more water in AZ

I really like the SA fLeece....wink.gif (and I did see it on the front page, yes there is one)

It's the boat Jim designed for me before he hit the AutoCad scale fuction key.Kevin

How I wish it were that simple!

Direct scaling of hull lines is far too simplistic an approach to get the best designs, and although it seems like the most expedient way to "churn-out" hull lines, I never use this approach.

Sure the two hulls share a common lineage, but there are significant differences because I didn't have any rule restrictions that a GP 26 design needs to fit within.

My 20 footer design truly developed from a "clean" computer screen.

post-3763-126963675011_thumb.jpg

whaddaya want?

Lets see

a six pack

maybe some whiskey

a boat

I really like the SA fLeece....wink.gif (and I did see it on the front page, yes there is one)

FINE! a fleece too much...how about a belt? ph34r.gif

Guest multitranslation

It's the boat Jim designed for me before he hit the AutoCad scale fuction key.Kevin

How I wish it were that simple!

Direct scaling of hull lines is far too simplistic an approach to get the best designs, and although it seems like the most expedient way to "churn-out" hull lines, I never use this approach.

Sure the two hulls share a common lineage, but there are significant differences because I didn't have any rule restrictions that a GP 26 design needs to fit within.

My 20 footer design truly developed from a "clean" computer screen.

sweet design jim!

Like the boat.....Love the Car!!!

I'd take a ZR1 over any BMW M3 any day of the week. The Vette is one of the very best value Car's made in the World. To be in Hawaii driving a fast Convertible Vette would be awesome....akin to driving a TP 52 Downhill for a twenty mile leg going 18 knots.

I loved the You tube Video. I have an SRT8 and having over 450 Horses is intoxicating. Since you liked to bust the Vette owners here's one for the BMW owners......What's the difference between a Porcupine and a BMW??? With the BMW the Pricks are in the inside?? HaHAha.....

To be in Hawaii driving a fast Convertible Vette would be awesome....akin to driving a TP 52 Downhill for a twenty mile leg going 18 knots...

If you've spent any time driving on Oahu, you'd realize what a waste a fast car is; only a couple roads where it's possible to exceed 60 mph, and the cops all know them.

And traffic is incredibly bad on the freeways here; like driving a TP 52 at 4 knots.

I think that's why that Corvette never leaves that piece of lawn it's parked on - it's more of a lawn ornament.

post-3763-126970671598_thumb.gif

whaddaya want?

Lets see

a six pack

maybe some whiskey

a boat

Come on!!! Give the guy a fleece. He was real quick in replying. COME OOOOOOOOOON!!! (read the last with Peter Griffin´s voice)

Guest multitranslation

whaddaya want?

Lets see

a six pack

maybe some whiskey

a boat

Come on!!! Give the guy a fleece. He was real quick in replying. COME OOOOOOOOOON!!! (read the last with Peter Griffin´s voice)

how about we give you the belt instead? on your rear end!

Yes, Corvette owners tend to reinforce the douche image, as do Porsche owners.

SPAD_PorscheBoxsterSpyder.jpg

If you've never driven one, especially on the track, you'll never understand the appeal. Worth every cent and hold their value to boot.

It is the new International 14 - the Shu2 out of San Diego.

Upside down for what I imagine will not be the last time.

Ah, Jimbo, you've seen me sail before :)

Not too far off on the shape though. Here's the real thing. Less volume and less rocker because there's less weight. That should equal more kts (at least on those occasions when it is right-side-up).

post-13071-126992153249_thumb.jpg

I've been watching (and participating some) this build since day one and I fianally figured out why this boat looks so good. As Donovan has said, the foretriangle is the same as a M24 but the boat is 4' shorter. Guess what...Mustang, Vette - Long Hood, short trunk. This boat is the first Muscle Boat!