Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ultaracer613um

Test Drive Day - Austin Yacht Club (Texas)

On April 24th the Austin Yacht Club will host a Test Drive Day.

- See the attached flyer -

This will be a great opportunity to get on the water and check out a variety of different boats. Currently they have several J's, a Melges 24, Viper 640, Flying Scott and a Vanguard Nomad lined up to be on the water and available. Their also working hard to add some cats and other neat designs - so stay tuned!2010_test_drive_small.pdf

This will be a great opportunity to get on the water and check out a variety of different boats. Currently they have several J's, a Melges 24, Viper 640, Flying Scott and a Vanguard Nomad lined up to be on the water and available. Their also working hard to add some cats and other neat designs - so stay tuned!2010_test_drive_small.pdf

Assume it's ok to disseminate this on a wider level outside the existing participant base?

Edit to Add: in the spirit of "better to ask for forgiveness than permission". I had already sent the flyer to a friend of mine who owns the most popular Gyms in town (Pure Austin). and he's printing and posting at both of their locations.....sorry???? or is that a good thing???

I'm going to be in Austin May 6-10. Are the Friday night beer cans happening? :)

Question: If I retire in the Austin area..is an Olson 30 too big for your fleets?

tpletcher - if it gets folks out and gives an opportunty for new blood in the sport, bring it on! Hope you'll be there as well!

janer - you betcha on the beer cans. I think first boat starts around 6ish or 6:30? Not 100 percent on that - check www.austinyachtclub.org for more info. I think have drinks and food afterwards. I also think they get a TON of boats out for this. We're going to trap out our viper for the next firday night , put the 10-year old in the bucket and have a great time.

spar wars- O30 is a great boat for lake travis. We use to have two that activly raced and did very well, one was sold and the other is sitting in the dry sail area. Our average turn-out for a-fleet is Hobie 33, J29's, J27, Vipers, Melges 24's, J80 - etc Typical flat-water shifty lake sailing, the light olson does very well.

Question: If I retire in the Austin area..is an Olson 30 too big for your fleets?

Very cool. I'll be there. It'll be great to see what a fast boat can do.

Great, see you at the club! There will be a nice selection of fun boats to try out.

Very cool. I'll be there. It'll be great to see what a fast boat can do.

I'm going to be in Austin May 6-10. Are the Friday night beer cans happening? :)

Friday night beer cans will be on. But it is the the SC 21 intergalactic regatta that weekend.

PM me for a ride. Ill hook you up with someone.

Weta weta weta!

I think I want one!

I wonder what color it is?

Looks like we will also have one of the new US Watercraft manufactured J/105's in attendance. Should be a little something for everyone at "Test Day"!

Looks like we will also have one of the new US Watercraft manufactured J/105's in attendance. Should be a little something for everyone at "Test Day"!

I hope that front moves through quicker than expected otherwise it could be a bad day. Suppose to be windy too.

Sailflow has winds at 14 when they start, laying down to 10 @ 1PM. Perfect conditions! Could be cloudy but otherwise a perfect day to be out on the water.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?hourly=1&query=78734&yday=113&weekday=Saturday

This makes it look picture perfect

I hope that front moves through quicker than expected otherwise it could be a bad day. Suppose to be windy too.

Our trip to Galveston just got canceled, so we are going to be out there 10am sharp. Looking forward to it. We are new to Austin and this looks like a great way to find out what's up. Used to race & liveaboard on the west coast, but haven't owned a boat for a few years and now we are thinking about owning again.

You recover enough from last weekends debauchery to give rides Ultra? #218 will never be the same again. I thing Danger is still drunk...

Sorry to hear your trip got cancelled - but great that you'll be able to join us!

AYC has a lot to offer in terms of competitive sailing and good relaxed fun - on and off the water. If your' not too far from the club you might also consider coming out for our Friday night beer can series.

Stiffler's Mom -> lakefest was an event to be remember (or forgot). Looking forward to the May event in Houston.

Our trip to Galveston just got canceled, so we are going to be out there 10am sharp. Looking forward to it. We are new to Austin and this looks like a great way to find out what's up. Used to race & liveaboard on the west coast, but haven't owned a boat for a few years and now we are thinking about owning again.

Sweet. Whats the pre count for Shoe race? Maybe a drink or 2 on Dulcinea Fri night??? Screamer will be there and in better form than last weekend.

Please introduce yourself to me. I'll be hanging out all day helping the 6'8" Peruvian (Felipe) work it. Should be a great easy going time.

Hi folks, this is the 6'8" Peruvian (thanks, Dave!) with a quick update on the Austin Yacht Club Test Drive Day: This thing is taking on a life of its own. Enthusiasm for the event has been huge, with more boats added to the list every day.

The list of boats participating now includes:

- Bic O'pen dinghy

- Corsair 31 Trimaran

- Farrier 25c Trimaran

- Flying Scot

- J/22 (tentative)

- J/80

- J/105

- Melges 24 sportboat

- Nacra 20 catamaran

- Vanguard Nomad

- Viper 640 sportboat

- WETA Trimaran

Many thanks to the local Austin Yacht Club sailors who are making their boats available for this event, as well as to the following:

- Jboats Southwest: arranging for a J105 at the event, and providing water and sodas during the day

- KO Sailing: John Kolius himself will be coming up to the event with a Weta Trimaran and Bic O'pen dinghy

- Rondar Raceboats/Viper 640: Providing a Viper, AND sponsoring the post-event keg

If you're anywhere near Austin, TX, join us this Saturday, 4/24, starting at 10:00am, at the Austin Yacht Club. (http://www.austinyachtclub.net)

PM me with any questions.

Thx,

F.

post-8938-127197505798_thumb.jpg

2010_test_drive_letter v2.pdf

We had a very active five boat fleet for many years. sometimes...one still sails. The boat is a fine m atch for J-29, Hobie 33 PHRF racing here as each one ahs a favorite condition where it beats the other two types...so Yes please come join theh fun.

Can I sail Bartlett's Moth?

Good for you guys. Richmond YC has been doing a similar "sail a small boat day" for a while. The benefits seem obvious. I hope the concept keeps spreading.

Hi folks, this is the 6'8" Peruvian (thanks, Dave!) with a quick update on the Austin Yacht Club Test Drive Day: This thing is taking on a life of its own. Enthusiasm for the event has been huge, with more boats added to the list every day.

The list of boats participating now includes:

- Bic O'pen dinghy

- Corsair 31 Trimaran

- Farrier 25c Trimaran

- Flying Scot

- J/22 (tentative)

- J/80

- J/105

- Melges 24 sportboat

- Nacra 20 catamaran

- Vanguard Nomad

- Viper 640 sportboat

- WETA Trimaran

Many thanks to the local Austin Yacht Club sailors who are making their boats available for this event, as well as to the following:

- Jboats Southwest: arranging for a J105 at the event, and providing water and sodas during the day

- KO Sailing: John Kolius himself will be coming up to the event with a Weta Trimaran and Bic O'pen dinghy

- Rondar Raceboats/Viper 640: Providing a Viper, AND sponsoring the post-event keg

If you're anywhere near Austin, TX, join us this Saturday, 4/24, starting at 10:00am, at the Austin Yacht Club. (http://www.austinyachtclub.net)

PM me with any questions.

Thx,

F.

post-8938-127197505798_thumb.jpg

2010_test_drive_letter v2.pdf

Can I sail Bartlett's Moth?

Good for you guys. Richmond YC has been doing a similar "sail a small boat day" for a while. The benefits seem obvious. I hope the concept keeps spreading.

LOL! You'll have to negotiate the Moth ride with John... not sure the moth lends itself to test drives by us mere mortals!

Thanks... the response to this event has been fantastic. Let's hope the turnout is good and we get some new sailors and fun boats added to the local fleet!

Hmmmm... Maybe I will rig up a Sidewinder!!!

There is a Bandit 15 in the local ads too.

Never start to windward of Felipe ( the 8' 6" Peruvian). When he starts hiking, you suddenly find you've fouled the leeward boat.

Here's a pic of a Flying Scott:-

Thought I'd attached it earlier in the thread.wink.gif

post-13437-127202546604_thumb.jpg

Gov - i think the point is to get people interested in sailing ;-)

No Sailing Anarchy for you, 8 hour. Or until that dark-hulled viper looks like new again.

Hmmmm... Maybe I will rig up a Sidewinder!!!

There is a Bandit 15 in the local ads too.

Good luck on the demo day, mabye something similar could be done @ ABYC, lot's of cool toys running out of there these days...

Already sounds like this may spread - something being put together down on Galveston Bay where race attendance has been on the decline, and chatter in the DFW area.

I think the key here is doing a comprehensive test-sail with a good number of designs.. that way new sailors dont get "pigeon holed" into a boat that may not be the best fit for them. It'll be cool for someone to be able to see if they like cruising on a J105, splashing around on a WETA tri, zipping around on a small sporty or ripping around on a F31 Tri - all on the same day and in the same location.

I've heard from folks who sail on small lakes over a hour away and people who've never sailed before excited to have the opportunity to come out and play. Barrier broken?

Demo Days are great! We used them in the 2000 time frame to build the local J/80 fleet at AYC. It then extended to fleet practice days with a format of 6 starts in a row. Start-go a few hundred yards, turn back, and then start again. On the 6th start we would race a 4 legged race and then do it again. Had on the water coaching from the local sailmaker and good sailors. The goal was to get our new fleet up to Fort Worth and Houston fleet level. Worked great. And it was lots of fun. I almost wish that's all we did!

The Houston J/105's did something similar last fall and seemed to get a lot out of it.

I'd like to get Ultraracer, KO Sailing, and a few others and have the same type of demo day in Houston and Dallas.

It's a great way to get new sailors into the sport. So many non-racing sailors and non-sailors are interested but are not comfortable committing to a boat and jumping into the racing game. Test Drive Day gives them a venue to experiment with the possibility of jumping into the game. Other racing sailors may be intrigued with OD racing, sport boats, etc. but not willing to commit. Again-Test drive day is a way for them to experiment and see if they want to go high performance, race OD, etc. To that I say "If they only knew"!

With the way this test drive day is shaping up it looks like we will have an extremely wide range of performance and cost for sailors to experience. Good Stuff!

I'm going to be in Austin May 6-10. Are the Friday night beer cans happening? smile.gif

Friday night beer cans will be on. But it is the the SC 21 intergalactic regatta that weekend.

PM me for a ride. Ill hook you up with someone.

Actually, the AYC members of AustinCats are planning a Catamaran Test Sail Day at AYC from 12:00 - 6:00 p.m. on May 8th (most of us will be at Lake Buchanan April 24-25 for the Hill Country Regatta). You can find more details at: http://groups.google...ats/web/cat-day or sign up to reserve your ride on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook....106265239404434.

We expect most of the local F-18 fleet (Infusions, Capricorn, Tigers), as well as a few I-20's, for those of you who feel the need for speed!

Nacraphiliac

Nacra F-18 Infusion #543

AustinCats+Test+Sail+Day+Flyer.pdf

some of the boats will be rigged for rides in tonight's beer can races

Start is at 6:30. be there earlier to get a ride...any week all summer too. In a few weeks the race start will switch to 7

AYC Test Drive Day. What a great day! Weather was great, maybe a little on the windy side but a great turnout.

I'm sure that there will be several new sailors in the Austin area. Many were in the process of discovering sailing, re-discovering sailing, and discovering that there are a lot of fun and fast sailboats out there.

We had a steady stream of people, some were looking to crew, several took rides on boats they've never sailed on before, all had a good time. Others wanted to check out the YC and the local racing scene.

We will be taking this show to ports of call in Kemah/Seabrook and Dallas/Fort Worth.

Besides it's a great excuse to go sailing all day and meet new people!

I was one of them. Freakin' awesome today! Thanks guys!

Thanks to Paul for the killer ride on his Corsair 31. And thanks to Steve for the killer ride on his Melges 24(?) - and for letting me fly the kite for a while (and Winston for showing me how it's really done).

I've been sailing a C27 for a couple of years now on the lake - so seeing 17 then 12 knots respectively on these boats, and feeling that acceleration under a Code 0 on the Corsair and the spin on the Melges...freakin' priceless.

I'm so hooked.

I drove down to the point quite a few times today and the dock was always full of folks waiting to go sailing. Great idea!!

There were others who would have loved to give more rides but the wind was too close to their own comfort range to bring along newbies...so they stood and handed out compliments behind the backs of those who were out sailing....those are of course the very best kind

This should be a much mopre regular thing.

Observation:

Lordy lordy lordy/...The Weta is a wetter ride than a laser

+1. The biggest thing for newbs is just finding a boat to get out on. This was a perfect way to allow them to do that.

Well done.

It was a great day and the Weta is awesome. I haven't been on a multi hull in 20 years or so and never thought much about them until now. We saw 20.2 knots on the corsair 31 and 15.5 upwind. So now I'm really thinking about buying something with a trampoline on it. The Weta is perfect for what I want but who am I gonna race against? Multi hull participation is not real high although Steve and others are trying to change that. I'll be out in a couple weeks for the cat test drive day and see what I think then.

Great job Felipe! This better be a yearly event from now on!

Hey rol - I think I sailed with you out there. We were on the Corsair at the same time when the 2 year old kid was driving, yeah? Are you the Cheoy Lee guy?

Dude, you HAVE TO OWN again!

PM me and I'll take you out on my crappy C27 sometime. You'll do more tacking than you've ever dreamed of!

I'm sure Apex will have some great shore-side pics to share - but this was a super idea! This is one of the only pictures i had a chance to snap on the water.

I left the dock with my first two sailors around 10:00 and didn't stop until around 3 or 4 PM.. thanks to all the J80 guys who were packed up and done early for sucking down most of the keg (kidding)

The weta and F boat's were cool rides for sure. I was hoping to get a shot at the Weta but Apex kept me busy with sailors.. Got close to the F-boat for a while but the breeze filled and those guys were GONE. Caught big Steve and crew on the Melges ripping down the lake a few times (everyone was ALL smiles).

And word - smackdaddy! fast is FUN

post-31705-12722482348_thumb.jpg

Ultra - sorry I missed the Viper ride dude. I was really wanting to get on after I finished the Melges ride with Steve - but you were just heading back out.

I'm sure you've heard it a million times - but thanks for giving us newbs a chance to taste fast. This kind of thing should be happening all over the country.

If one of you good people wants to start a list of clubs/associations that hold this sort of thing, we'll host it somewhere on SA and maintain it as some kind of master list. Should get others thinking, and get some to step up and do the same. If there were a hundred of these types of events around the US, I guess we'd see our numbers start to grow pretty quickly. Good on y'all.

Thanks, Clean. It was a fun event for all involved (huge smiles all around). We'll certainly see some new crew come out of the deal, and maybe some new boat owners/club members as well! Here's a little write-up that'll be going into our club newsletter:

---------------------------------------

Austin Yacht Club Test Drive Day

Well, the Austin Yacht Club Test Drive Day is now behind us, and what a day… By all accounts a huge success. Mother nature came through with spectacular weather, delivering bright sun, warm temps, and great breeze in the high teens gusting to the high 20's (maybe even a bit TOO MUCH breeze at times), which made for some e-ticket rides.

The Corsair 31 broke 20 knots boatspeed during 2 different outings today, giving some new sailors the thrill of a lifetime. TheJ-80, Melges 24, and Viper 640 also provided some big thrills and serious downwind sleigh rides, leading to "bugs in the teeth" smiles on all the sailors as they came off the boats. John Kolius on the Weta Trimaran was kept busy non-stop, starting at 9:45 am all the way past 3pm, as people lined up for a ride on this ultra-fun little tri, skippered by an Olympic silver medalist and America's Cup sailor (how often do we get to do that!?!). Likewise, the Corsair 31, Melges 24,J-80, and Viper 640 sailed pretty much non-stop, with a mix of experienced sailors, beginners, and complete newcomers all coming away smiling as they went from boat to boat. The J-105, which sailed over to AYC from way up the lake for this event, was busy all day giving rides to folks who were looking for something a little more relaxed than the Melges or Viper, but even they saw speeds over 10 knots under white sails only. I think the skipper was kicking himself that he left his kite at home, because he would've liked to go chasing after the sportboats. Even the Bic O'pen got a workout, as full-grown adults shoehorned themselves onto the little skimming dish of a boat to go scoot around the harbor in between rides on the bigger toys.

Among the many highlights of the day:

• The 6-yr old boy who went for a ride on the Corsair 31 Tri (thebiggest and fastest boat at the event by far), promptly took the tiller andexpertly drove the big tri upwind to the amazement of all onboard. Whenthe boat pulled back in after the ride, he didn't want to get off… Momand Dad, looks like you've got a natural sailor on your hands!

• The teenage sailor who took her two non-sailor friends out onthe Viper, and within minutes took over the helm from the skipper, on their wayto some serious speed runs in the big breeze. Quite an intro to sailingfor her two friends! After the ride, she informed her parents thatthey were going to have to buy a Viper 640. Way to go!

• All the folks who went out on the Weta, and came back soaked tothe bone (there's a reason it's called the Weta… turns out it really makes youwetter!) but didn't seem to care one bit. Who cares if you're a littlewet and cold when you're going fast!

All in all, we hosted close to 40 people at the event, with a great mix of club members, new sailors, and even non-sailors who wanted to comeout and see what the fuss was all about. It was also great to see a really young crowd at the event, and without exception all the kids seemed to walk away itching for more. A recurring theme as we all stood around the keg after the event (thanks, Viper 640/Rondar for the beer) was how much fun people had, what a great idea the Test Drive concept was, and how we need to do this on a regular basis at the Club. In two weeks, there will be a multi-hull test driveday at AYC, and plans are already in motion for another big AYC test-drive event in the fall. We highly recommend to other clubs that they host similar events, to help rekindle the excitement in sailing, and maybe even get some new people into the sport.

Thanks to all of the AYC members who generously gave up their day & provided their boats for test drives. Without them, this event would not have been possible.

Many thanks also to our sponsors, JBoats Southwest, RondarRaceboats, and KO Sailing (John Kolius himself came up from Houston with theWeta Trimaran and Bic O'pen dinghy).

Felipe Payet

Austin Yacht Club

Viper 640 USA-103 – The Stig

A few photos from the event are attached. There will be more as I gather pictures from all the folks who took them.

Can one ever outgrow a Bic O'pen? Not if the breeze is on!

post-8938-127225557989_thumb.jpg

New Viper sailors - Boy, they don't look like they're having any fun at all! ;-) (photo by Ultraracer)

post-8938-127225642874_thumb.jpg

Early morning at the Test Drive Day, boats lined up ready to go play

post-8938-127225558759_thumb.jpg

The Corsair 31, fastest ride of the day, at 20.2 knots recorded boatspeed

post-8938-127225559346_thumb.jpg

Getting ready to go play

post-8938-127225559971_thumb.jpg

John Kolius on the Weta making someone wet, with the Viper 640 in the background

post-8938-127225560819_thumb.jpg

Is someone about to go swimming?

post-8938-127225562468_thumb.jpg

More pictures:

About to go on a Melges 24 joyride

post-8938-127225665517_thumb.jpg

What, another Viper? These f*ckers are breeding like rabbits! tongue.gif

post-8938-127225668797_thumb.jpg

The WETA heads out for yet another ride

post-8938-127225666238_thumb.jpg

Oops! Someone went for a swim!

post-8938-127225668084_thumb.jpg

Damned Viper sailors, can't take anything seriously...

post-8938-127225692541_thumb.jpg

Time to pack up for the day and go find the beer

(unbeknown to the Viper sailors, the J-boats guys had already tapped the keg and were doing their best to finish it!)

post-8938-127225670318_thumb.jpg

That was awesome guys. First time we've been sailing in awhile and what a great day for getting back into it. The Viper is very cool. Loved driving with chute up. Chris & I will definitely be up for some crewing on the sportboats for the Friday night beer cans. I'll send you an email Felipe.

For the record: I did NOT get wet on the Bic (upper capsize pic). :) Old habits never die, I guess.

That was awesome guys. First time we've been sailing in awhile and what a great day for getting back into it. The Viper is very cool. Loved driving with chute up. Chris & I will definitely be up for some crewing on the sportboats for the Friday night beer cans. I'll send you an email Felipe.

For the record: I did NOT get wet on the Bic (upper capsize pic). :) Old habits never die, I guess.

Sounds great! Definitely e-mail me your contact info. Would love to go sailing with you guys.

And regarding the Bic, I can confirm the above. We witnessed a perfect capsize recovery executed while staying dry. Quite an accomplishment for an adult on that tiny boat! smile.gif

Looks like a great event. Congratulations on such a great turnout and sparkling weather.

Over the years in Annapolis, (another AYC), we have tried to bring new classes including the Viper to members and guests, but with two issues to overcome. First, there has been no club property (at any of AYC, EYC or SSA) that could commit to the space necessary to grow a new class. And second, without a five boat minimum for a one-design start, difficulty in getting starts in early building years due to lifeline requirements for PRHF of the Chesapeake.

I was curious to ask if either of these were an impediment for Austin YC, and how you look to covercome them? I would be interested in other thoughts on this issue as well from other Anarchists. As one of the early Viperers (USA-37), I gave up the boat as the local fleets (primarily PHRF) made it near impossible to race the boat regularly while we were building towards numbers for one-design. I do think though that the work of Justin and Paul has shown that Vipers can fill a need and build enthusiasm among younger sailors.

I'd love to take another run at it in Annapolis, and would be interested to engage this group on ideas.

Best,

Dan

I was curious to ask if either of these were an impediment for Austin YC, and how you look to covercome them? I would be interested in other thoughts on this issue as well from other Anarchists. As one of the early Viperers (USA-37), I gave up the boat as the local fleets (primarily PHRF) made it near impossible to race the boat regularly while we were building towards numbers for one-design. I do think though that the work of Justin and Paul has shown that Vipers can fill a need and build enthusiasm among younger sailors.

I'd love to take another run at it in Annapolis, and would be interested to engage this group on ideas.

Best,

Dan

Dan:

Yes, we have faced some of the same challenges starting a fleet in Austin, but in other respects we've been lucky. For example, we're fortunate that real-estate is not a problem for us in Austin, so it's not a problem for Viper owners to get dry-storage space at the club. At worst, there can sometimes be a waiting list of a couple of weeks, but all the Viperers who've wanted to keep boats at AYC have been able to do so (we're up to 4 boats now, from NONE two years ago!) The Texas fleet is also showing healthy growth, so in addition to local PHRF sailing, we have a three stop TX circuit this season where we'll definitely be racing OD vs. 2-3 Dallas area boats, and new Viperers from Corpus Christi and El Paso. Kudos to Ultraracer for pulling together this year's circuit.

On the PHRF front, we have a similar requirement that there need to be a minimum of 5 boats racing to get an OD start, and since we're still at 4 local boats, we continue to race PHRF, as part of our local "A-Fleet". Fortunately though, the lack of lifelines has not been a problem for us, and we have a good time out there mixing it up with the other A-fleet boats: several J-80's, 2 Melges 24s, several J-29s, a Hobie 33, and until recently, even a Flying Tiger 10M! In typical PHRF fashion, the conditions tend to dictate who wins more than the skills of the sailors (the sportboats do well in very light or in big breeze, and we get waterlined to death in medium air), but we still have a ton of fun, and the PHRF A-fleet regulars have been very welcoming of the sportboats.

Interestingly, both the Viper and the J-80 fleets are seeing growth in Austin, so we'll soon either split off into regular OD starts, or perhaps we'll race as "fleets within a fleet" within PHRF A (starting with the big leadbellies, but scored separately).

On the lifeline question, anarchist Schoonerman may be able to share some of his experience dealing with SF Bay PHRF, where he was able to succesfully get a rating for the Viper in what was not necessarily the most welcoming environment.

Here's a little vid I shot on the Corsair 31 hauling mail. But iphone video and youtube don't do so good together.

Sweet! Was that the 20 knot run? You guys must have gotten on right after we got off (I was on the run with the kid).

That thing did move!