• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skyehigh

Evelyn 32-2 Vs. Evelyn 32 MOD

Its been hard for me to find info, pics, or anything on the 32-1 (or MOD).

same here. i have no idea how many hulls were produced,

but no matter because they were apparently unphotographable.

no picture is known to exist --believe this one is a 26, below

post-1-1098976981.jpg

Go to evelyn32.com this boat is for sale in my area. The keel has been changed and a bigger rig has been added. For exact info on this boat go to ecsa.net and look at it's PHRF cert. Boat name is Elusive.

Shit.. thats it. Thats the actuall boat I'm looking at! MORE PLEASE!

woo-eee....teeny bit of IOR in her.

you are planning to CRUISE this vessel, right SkyHi?

what's it rate?

rates 144...does not seem like a gift at approx 7000 #'s

LWL not given on the owner's ad...but with all that overhang...24?

Skyehigh

This is the the very first Evelyn built and was originally owned and raced by a rigger. It has a custom mast and the keel was changed out way back when. The rudder was also moved about 2 inches forward. I know the boat well, I have raced against the boat for years. In it's time it was light years ahead of it's competitors and has always done exceptionately well racing. The new owner bought it 4 years ago and races it single handed. He had the Hull and topsides of the boat awl gripped and it looks awesome. He also added new main & jib 3DL's and the boat is near unbeatable in 12knots and under....when it's over 15 he needs a lot of weight on the rail and he's overpowered....I've raced the boat maybe 30 times with our old C&C and have only won a handfull of times because he does it all be himself and we have 7 bodies on the rail. The boat is in pristine shape and he cruises it by himself all the time so it can do it all. A great all around boat and hard to find one better to fit the Racer/Cruiser mold.

PHRF/Cruise

then I hope you are realistic about how much time you'll

actually get to cruise. I got rid of a cruiser/racer 5 years

ago because I virtually never got to cruise it...race weekends

eat up the cruising sked like you would not believe, espec

if you have a wife and/or kids.

the boat looks like it's in incredible condition...but, will its

IOR performance characteristics bore you in 2 years?

If you are a young guy, I would think

about a more exciting performance package UNLESS you are

sure you'll get in two or three decent cruises a season....which

most people cant do or dont do unless cruising is a priority.

my 2 cents

and one more thing. You have to think about the

day you want to sell it....it's tough getting rid of

IOR boats these days. I think a very proud Cal 30

(Ron Holland design) down here was actually donated to a non-profit because

it sat unsold for a long while, even after a pronounced

price drop one or two times. it was at 17.5 last time I saw it

listed.

The market for IOR boats is terrible now...think of it in 5 years.

Acually I was talking about "No End"... which is totally hosed. I went to look at it yesturday and I'm still high from the mushrooms growing down below! As far as Elusive, it looks brand new, I think I would get out to cruise on a boat like that. I have other boats I can crew on for perfoemance for know. Thanks again for feed back.

Beerdidclam

I agree with you about having a cruiser/racer and not being able to cruise it...it sucks!!! It's kind of driving a huge winnebago to the corner store for milk.This Evelyn is a little different though in that a classic good looking boat never goes out of style. As for the IOR characteristics, I can say when I raced against it I wasn't bored. The boat was just plain fast. I think he's won every year he's owned it, and I'm not talking just one or two races but the whole season (which is 7 months). I've been inside it and he has it pretty plush. It really is a good mix between crusier/racer. If you wanted to just race it, you could strip her out like her last owner and campaign it and do very well with her but the way it is set up now you can still sail to those races a day away race it and than sleep on it.

This Evelyn is a little different though in that a classic good looking boat never goes out of style. As for the IOR characteristics, I can say when I raced against it I wasn't bored. The boat was just plain fast. I think he's won every year he's owned it, and I'm not talking just one or two races but the whole season (which is 7 months). I've been inside it and he has it pretty plush. It really is a good mix between crusier/racer. If you wanted to just race it, you could strip her out like her last owner and campaign it and do very well with her but the way it is set up now you can still sail to those races a day away race it and than sleep on it.

i agree it is does look like it's in brilliant condit.

and who says you have to race in PHRF A to have

fun?

what the hell, SkyeHigh, go for it!

Skyhigh,

If you are looking for a phrf boat that you don't mind getting some sails for, then I think that No End might be a good one. The Palmers never really sailed it to the boats potential, and they also never bought a single sail for it. The sertals used to clean up with it back in the day(as they do with any boat). I have sailed on it before, and it has a lot of potential. I would offer him 8 grand for it, put a main and a headsail on it, and I honestly wouldn't be turned away from it because of its track record. Actually it was in a fire about 12 years ago(not a bad one), and has been all rebuilt with west system, by the owners father who is talented with glass. He also faired the keel last year. For it's age I think it's a cool looking boat.

What happened to evelyn32.com? I would like to get a hold of the owner of Elusive.

jeezis...i just went to evelyn32.com...it's a website about

FRUIT BASKETS.

wtf is this world coming to...

i race against 2 evelyns and they rate different phrf (141 and 144 i think) because and this is what i was told direct from the boats owners "one has an american rig and the other a canadian, the american being a bigger rig" can anyone explain this?

i race against 2 evelyns and they rate different phrf (141 and 144 i think) because and this is what i was told direct from the boats owners "one has an american rig and the other a canadian, the american being a bigger rig" can anyone explain this?

Isn't it because Americans like to show off a big stick? Oops......should have posted that in PA

Isn't it because Americans like to show off a big stick? Oops......should have posted that in PA

ya probably right

apparently the american rig has got more sail area

junior