Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SeQuBu

Beneteau & Columbian Schoolship "Gloria" colide ....

Pretty sad when something like that happens, but it could be worse --- the Beneteau could have sunk.

All this happend in Valapraiso/Chile, last Sunday when a Fleet of boats was dismissing the Tallship race "Vela Sudamerica 2010"

1_regata%285%29.jpg

1_regata%281%29.jpg

1_regata%282%29.jpg

1_regata%283%29.jpg

I hope no one got hurt during that. Lots of potential to dump someone in the water with lots of motoring boats around which could get nasty quickly!

It looks to me as though these photos have not been posted in sequence. It looks as though it should be 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 4th based on the progress of the BendyToy past the green structure on the deck. Why did it happen, the Bene motoring too close to the Tall Ship and getting snagged by one of the braces seems the only conclusion to me. Any more informed opinion than my guess?

Yes, the 1st pic should be 4th

Also the Skipper was not carefull enougth & got way to close with most of the Boats not mantaining a save distance (you can see several other boats very near to the Tall ship without real space to manuever in case of an emergency).

What I have heard is exactly that, that the Boat got kooked up with the Tallship beacause it was evading colition with an other boat.

Any way, no one got hurt so it was for most just a scarry moment .... but anyway, those things should not happen.

Interesting to note lifejackets worn on one of the stand-by boats, but none on the "victim" boat, even as she gets heeled rail-down.

Wanna bet the hatch and companionway weren't closed either?

Don't know the time sequence here, but if more than a couple of minutes, it's time to think damage-control.

Yep, that boat is from Chicago. Sailed by some guy name Chris Columbus. He has had that sail number for a long time.

Valpariso was a party town when i was there, the US Navy pulls in there every year on UNITAS (united) cruises. When we left Valpariso, it looked like the beginning of the deployment on the docks at Norfolk..grin..