Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DryArmour

Golden Gate Yacht Club & Club Nautico di Roma News Conf

Golden Gate Yacht Club & Club Nautico di Roma

will be holding a joint press conference announcing details of the 34th America's Cup

Rome,Thursday 6th May 2010

To register interest RSVP media@americascup.com

will be holding a joint press conference announcing details of the 34th America's Cup

I take it hat the bolded text means that GGYC now has all the commercial assets from Ahinghi...

I think it will be details concerning the CONSULTATIVE PROCESS to be deployed on behalf of AC34.

I very much doubt there will be details about the Cup itself.

Do not be looking for a protocol, venue, or boat design this early in the process.

Do look for a plan describing how these decisions will be made.

Yep, it sure-as-hell is strange to see BOR controlling "americascup.com"

All of it on a wing and a prayer (maybe two, even three, prayers).

Right now I am wishing Marian was here to witness all this!

She would not be a happy camper!

The site still looks a whole lot like SNG is still running it...perhaps they haven't had time to make the needed changes.

The site still looks a whole lot like SNG is still running it...perhaps they haven't had time to make the needed changes.

The Whois on the site:

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:

Gil-Robles, Ana rpp@americascup.com

America's Cup Properties Inc. c/o AC Management SA

Av. Giuseppe Motta 31-33

PO Box 145

Geneve 1211

CH

+41 58 944 04 00 fax: +41 58 944 04 10

Record expires on 28-Dec-2010.

Record created on 10-Feb-1999.

Database last updated on 27-Apr-2010 09:19:23 EDT

Why would she not be a happy camper???

At least we should wait until after May6th before we start to condem BOR!!!

According to RG here

--

Indications are that the 34th America's Cup will be staged in San Francisco, probably in monohulls sometime in 2014.

While a formal protocol is not expected to be announced on 6 May, the basic parameters of the Match, prescribed by the Deed of Gift, being the dates, type and size of yacht and preferred venue are expected to be revealed.

The window under which entries will be accepted and timeframes for entry is also expected to be announced. This period could be open for a year or two. The objective of this phase has previously been to identify potential participants and then embrace those clubs into a process to determine the conditions under which the Challenger Selection Series and Defence will be conducted.

Part of the process adopted during that multi challenger phase was to allow the Challengers to select the size of the boat (which the Challenger is required to do under the Deed of Gift) and it is expected that a similar process will be followed for the 34th America's Cup. That being so, a multihull is unlikely because of the perceived advantage that Golden Gate would have with that type of inshore racing technology.

--

Why would she not be a happy camper???

At least we should wait until after May6th before we start to condem BOR!!!

No, no .. you misunderstand me.

Marian would not like the fact BOR is now running the show.

She was an unrepentant (though sometimes delightful) Europhile.

I am not criticising BOR.

On the contrary, so far they have done everything right.

And their Victory Tour is a total triumph.

There is some formidable brainpower in BOR.

According to RG here

Part of the process adopted during that multi challenger phase was to allow the Challengers to select the size of the boat (which the Challenger is required to do under the Deed of Gift) and it is expected that a similar process will be followed for the 34th America's Cup. That being so, a multihull is unlikely because of the perceived advantage that Golden Gate would have with that type of inshore racing technology.

Sounds like Richard has the goods.

It makes sense!

According to RG here

Sounds like Richard has the goods.

It makes sense!

He (or possibly his sources) suggest this is the reason, and by implication suggest that GGYC would be open to multihulls but are letting the Challenger(s) dictate the boat type.

So.. The Challengers... We know Alinghi wants to go multi, many at BOR too, and TNZ is open to the possibility. That is the top 3 premiere teams currently, so then who is calling this shot - and why? And why should GGYC let them? Can ML as CoR dictate that, as is being suggested?

They could have a box rule of some kind to limit the perceived advantage, they have time too, so I say: They should step up to the plate! Like Bertarelli said, "Why would you want to go slowly???" BB too.

Oh well, there are pro's and cons, it'll be fun regardless what they come up with.

According to RG here

--

Indications are that the 34th America's Cup will be staged in San Francisco, probably in monohulls sometime in 2014.

While a formal protocol is not expected to be announced on 6 May, the basic parameters of the Match, prescribed by the Deed of Gift, being the dates, type and size of yacht and preferred venue are expected to be revealed.

The window under which entries will be accepted and timeframes for entry is also expected to be announced. This period could be open for a year or two. The objective of this phase has previously been to identify potential participants and then embrace those clubs into a process to determine the conditions under which the Challenger Selection Series and Defence will be conducted.

--

WRT to monos, Stan Honey said the same in his Innerview yesterday on the front page (starting at 14:30)...and I wonder if that was also RG's source? It does make sense. I also liked his idea of super fast 60 foot skiffs. Can you imagine?

I would be surprised if they give all of what RG says they will - I'd expect one of the 4 (of boat, venue, protocol, timing) to be announced, but not all.

Preferred Venue: We know the preferred venue already (San Francisco) and we can also be fairly sure that no certain agreements have been struck yet with the preferred venue. I would be stunned if anything beyond what we know about venues comes out, with the possible exception of their deadline for determining which and when.

Boat: To watch Stan Honey and read RG say basically the same thing, makes me think either A) RG is gathering assumptions from that Innerview or B) they are talking with the same source at BOR or ML and coming to the same conclusion. So a boat announcement would be very nice.

Timing: To me, this is the most likely and most neccessary for the rest to work effectively. Even general timing + announcements as to when the rest will be announced will be helpful.

Protocol: Perhaps - I think those here more expert in this area can better speak to where in the order this is likely to happen.

According to RG here

--

--

WRT to monos, Stan Honey said the same in his Innerview yesterday on the front page (starting at 14:30)...and I wonder if that was also RG's source? It does make sense. I also liked his idea of super fast 60 foot skiffs. Can you imagine?

I would be surprised if they give all of what RG says they will - I'd expect one of the 4 (of boat, venue, protocol, timing) to be announced, but not all.

Preferred Venue: We know the preferred venue already (San Francisco) and we can also be fairly sure that no certain agreements have been struck yet with the preferred venue. I would be stunned if anything beyond what we know about venues comes out, with the possible exception of their deadline for determining which and when.

Boat: To watch Stan Honey and read RG say basically the same thing, makes me think either A) RG is gathering assumptions from that Innerview or B) they are talking with the same source at BOR or ML and coming to the same conclusion. So a boat announcement would be very nice.

Timing: To me, this is the most likely and most neccessary for the rest to work effectively. Even general timing + announcements as to when the rest will be announced will be helpful.

Protocol: Perhaps - I think those here more expert in this area can better speak to where in the order this is likely to happen.

Make it like the US Open, Weta's for everyone. :lol:

According to RG here

--

--

Timing only on the 6th AFAIK. No boats or venue.

No, no .. you misunderstand me.

Marian would not like the fact BOR is now running the show.

She was an unrepentant (though sometimes delightful) Europhile.

I am not criticising BOR.

On the contrary, so far they have done everything right.

And their Victory Tour is a total triumph.

There is some formidable brainpower in BOR.

You know Hastings, she once tried to convince me that the tales of you having a penchant for little boys were correct. I didn't buy it, not my problem anyway. The way you suck up to Grant's and now BOR's asses might show she wasn't far off the mark, but still not my problem.

But now, seeing your repeat use abuse of her name, and what you think she stood for, in order to suit your own manipulations, I'd rather reckon you're some kind of a necrophile , so how does it feel Hastings, screwing a cold decomposing body ? rolleyes.gif

Well thank fuck there is finally something happening.

I still await them to front with the damn Challenge letter/cert :huh:

....//

You know Hastings, she once tried to convince me that the tales of you having a penchant for little boys were correct. I didn't buy it, not my problem anyway. The way you suck up to Grant's and now BOR's asses might show she wasn't far off the mark, but still not my problem.

But now, seeing your repeat use abuse of her name, and what you think she stood for, in order to suit your own manipulations, I'd rather reckon you're some kind of a necrophile , so how does it feel Hastings, screwing a cold decomposing body ? rolleyes.gif

Ah - finally some life coming back - even if is a low life.

According to RG here

--

--

Boat: To watch Stan Honey and read RG say basically the same thing, makes me think either A) RG is gathering assumptions from that Innerview or cool.gif they are talking with the same source at BOR or ML and coming to the same conclusion. So a boat announcement would be very nice.

Thats my belief too. The road trip of 5 weeks will be the gathering of inputs for making decisions in the plan for a plan.

Thats my belief too. The road trip of 5 weeks will be the gathering of inputs for making decisions in the plan for a plan.

On Feb 19th JS responded to the question what do you think of multihulls, "I'm hooked" was the enthusiastic reply. Looks like he still is

Maybe some folks should get together and do an intervention and rescue him from the dark side (or take a trip there and see maybe its not as horrible as you fear)

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=106569&view=findpost&p=2808537

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:30 AM

-8 glued together A class fit in a container of which the aussie container that is headed to Cesenatico gets packed this Saturday the 17th and leaves on the 24th. There are 13 Aussies coming and we will again fill the top ten again.

- The next worlds are in Demark and the rotation goes 2 Europe, 1 America and 1 Australia/New Zealand (of which its looking like Australia might start getting a 2 to 1 ratio over New Zealand cause we get more boats turn up. So the worlds after Denmark will be in the USA or Brazil.

-James Spihill is going to the worlds in Cesenatico but he won't win. He sailed at McCrae in Melbourne on the weekend just gone on his new ASG3 and was a little rusty but not to far off the pass. Ashby is right back on the pace even though he was pushed by a couple of up and coming young guns he will be the man to beat and that will be an extremely hard thing to do, which will leave Stevie as bridesmaid again nobody else will come close to these 2.

-Glenn and Jimmy are also doing around texal together and the F18 worlds. Glenns on the helm.

i just read this note from an Anonymous in Pierre's website that i could not resist in sharing.

just because for some reason i get the feeling this person might know more than he is letting on.

and because it could actually spur on some debate...been too relaxed in this freaking forum.

--------------

Pierre, don't waste your time and money going to the Oracle dog and pony show...

The 34th America's Cup match will take place in San Francisco, most probably in September 2014.

Oracle's design team has been working full time on the new boat since more than a year. They will public the new rule, giving them a nice 3-year advantage over everybody else.

Coutts will organize in San Francisco a Defender Series together with 2-3 puppet teams. This will give Oracle yet another advantage over the challengers.

At the same time, Oracle will take part in the LV regattas as well as the Challenger Selection Series, up to the semifinals. Nevertheless, the Defender Series will allow Oracle to bypass any restriction the protocol might include on the number of boats, crews, design, technology transfer or training.

In fact, the new protocol will establish the so-called "Challenger Training Series" that will be compulsory and limited in time. The challengers will ONLY be able to train on AC boats during those periods, set by Oracle.

Since Coutts is not stupid, the "CTS" will be held far away from SF. Valencia wants to hold them but there are other candidate cities, such as Rome, Abu Dhabi or even Hong Kong.

In 2012, the CTS and the LVT will only be held on the new Cup boats. Fair enough you might say, but these boats will be provided by Oracle......

The challengers will NOT be allowed to launch a new Cup boat before September 2013, giving them just 12 months of preparation.

Finally, and that's the best part, the counties of San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Cruz, Marin, Sonoma, Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, Solano, Napa and Monterey will prohibit the establishment of any challenger on their territories before October 2013. Why October? Because this way no challenger will be able to take their own wind measurements during the month of September in an area that spreads from Point Arena to the north down to Monterey to the south.

Oracle will provide all meteorological data for the month of September but with an obvious enormous margin of error....

I bet we will see a protocol far worse than what Erne$to signed together with their sham challenger, the CNEV.

10:37 AM

-----------------

I still await them to front with the damn Challenge letter/cert huh.gif

So what's so fucking important about that ?

its the start of the challenge. if things turn ugly during negotiations of mutual consent, then the chellenge should revert back to that document, the date, the boat, and other DoG terms.

that is what's fucking important

i just read this note from an Anonymous in Pierre's website that i could not resist in sharing.

just because for some reason i get the feeling this person might know more than he is letting on.

and because it could actually spur on some debate...been too relaxed in this freaking forum.

--------------

Pierre, don't waste your time and money going to the Oracle dog and pony show...

Or waste your time reading anything below... Lol

It's quite well written but is also a bit "out there" on what the big agenda supposedly is...

I still await them to front with the damn Challenge letter/cert huh.gif

its the start of the challenge. if things turn ugly during negotiations of mutual consent, then the chellenge should revert back to that document, the date, the boat, and other DoG terms.

that is what's fucking important

No shit Sherlock ? So Hoom the fuck are you anyway ? Sounds like you're quite the fucking expert ? Perhaps the previous poster was right - where is that document if it is so important ?

NEWBIE...WHY DON'T YOU FUCK OFF AND SHOW US YOUR TITS, EH?

--------------

Finally, and that's the best part, the counties of San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Cruz, Marin, Sonoma, Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, Solano, Napa and Monterey will prohibit the establishment of any challenger on their territories before October 2013. Why October? Because this way no challenger will be able to take their own wind measurements during the month of September in an area that spreads from Point Arena to the north down to Monterey to the south.

Oracle will provide all meteorological data for the month of September but with an obvious enormous margin of error....

I bet we will see a protocol far worse than what Erne$to signed together with their sham challenger, the CNEV.

-----------------

I'll only respond to this bit because the other stuff seems like the usual bullshit.

First, I find it interesting, especially in a area like San Francisco, that all of those municipalities agreed to team up and honor this agreement to prohibit Challengers from setting up anything in the greater Frisco area prior to October 2013. But lets assume they do, whats to keep any individual from a specific Challenger to purchase property and prop up a weather station on the roof? What could be done by this cabal of municipalities from preventing an individual to do something like that?

WetHog :ph34r:

I would like to attend one of these inter county/city gov't meetings, anyone have a website with a calendar/agenda of whats up next?

Hey, did I hear Chrissy is coming to SF to be TE's assistant?

Damned, things have been so quiet since the win...

I may go watch Panama Canal Web cams for old times sake.

I'd let her drive...If Russell said it was okay.

I really hope you are JS. My hero! :)

--------------

The 34th America's Cup match will take place in San Francisco, most probably in September 2014.

Oracle's design team has been working full time on the new boat since more than a year. They will public the new rule, giving them a nice 3-year advantage over everybody else.

Coutts will organize in San Francisco a Defender Series together with 2-3 puppet teams. This will give Oracle yet another advantage over the challengers.

At the same time, Oracle will take part in the LV regattas as well as the Challenger Selection Series, up to the semifinals. Nevertheless, the Defender Series will allow Oracle to bypass any restriction the protocol might include on the number of boats, crews, design, technology transfer or training.

In fact, the new protocol will establish the so-called "Challenger Training Series" that will be compulsory and limited in time. The challengers will ONLY be able to train on AC boats during those periods, set by Oracle.

Since Coutts is not stupid, the "CTS" will be held far away from SF. Valencia wants to hold them but there are other candidate cities, such as Rome, Abu Dhabi or even Hong Kong.

In 2012, the CTS and the LVT will only be held on the new Cup boats. Fair enough you might say, but these boats will be provided by Oracle......

The challengers will NOT be allowed to launch a new Cup boat before September 2013, giving them just 12 months of preparation.

-----------------

Very interesting, let us see what is coming in may...

--------------

-----------------

Very interesting, let us see what is coming in may...

Iteresting it would be if there were any facts provided. As is, it's just a piece of worthless garbage. However, I am not surprised that you find it interesting, TC. I bet you'll be REALLY surprised on May 6th...

Called CNR trying to be invited to the affair. The setting will be magnificent - not the clubhouse but the Musei Capitolini , right next to the Mayor's office. This confirms VO/CNR have top government connections ..

Called CNR trying to be invited to the affair. The setting will be magnificent - not the clubhouse but the Musei Capitolini , right next to the Mayor's office. This confirms VO/CNR have top government connections ..

Very cool, thanks for that.

Was my favorite morning walk the times I stayed on Piazza Navona. Crossing that street and climbing those stairs is quite a rush.. You must be right about them having top connections, what a location.

I really hope you are JS. My hero! :)

If it is JS, he was posting while helming during the races, or somebody was using his log in. ;)

If it is JS, he was posting while helming during the races, or somebody was using his log in. ;)

Yep, but what all could he do with those glasses?? :) I know he reads here occasionally, it is possible he will say Hi sometime.

On the above, that looks like some massive symbolism. I am beginning to believe this announcement could be bigger than just a Plan for the Plan. Rome is Challenging.

I am beginning to believe this announcement could be bigger than just a Plan for the Plan. Rome is Challenging.

or just the opposite, if you havn't got much to say you better blind 'em with an exquisite environment ... and while having a grin, I'm quite sure that if TE would have been involved he would have preferred this do to be held in the EUR vicinity wink.gif

Is the Cup there? If so, then they are planning a presentation and a presser. I think there's a chance we'll hear boat too.

I think they will stick to their plan. Announce a timetable for the making key decision points, maybe talk a little about how the decision making process and consultations will happen. RC will be there, with Vincenzo Onorato.

It will be live streamed but unfortunately Noon Roma time is 3am Pacific so I hope someone records it?

More "old" ideas and a nice pic of Tom:

<<America's Cup: Should we be playing the Short Game?

Alinghi had won the 31st America's Cup, in Auckland, and was preparing to defend. The recession was on no-one's radar. CNEV definitely wasn't operational. And, it was a time when all was sweetness and light on the America's Cup scene.

Passing through New Zealand in late January 2005 on this way to the next Challenger meeting in San Francisco in early February, was then Chairman of the Challenger Commission, Tom Ehman (USA) - whose America’s Cup pedigree extends back into 1980 when he was a rules advisor for the New York Yacht Club and the defenders.

After a diet of Cup campaigns, 1987 in Fremantle with America II, organisation of the ’88 and ’92 Cups in San Diego and as Dennis Conner’s rules advisor in 1995, followed by an involvement in Formula 1 motor-racing, Ehman got back into the Cup in 2000 with AmericaOne and with then Oracle BMW in 2003.

He was the first Chairman of the Challenger Commission – a group representing all Challengers - following the appointment of BMW Oracle and the Golden Gate Yacht Club (San Francisco) as Challenger of Record.

The first half of the interview, was an update on the agenda for the Challenger Commission, and was straight down the party line.

With that out of the way, Ehman started thinking laterally, and the ideas flowed.

Sail-World presents the following not trying to be clever or smart, but to show that maybe there is another way of thinking about the America's Cup - by playing the short game, rather than the long version that seems to be on the table.

While Ehman's focus then was on the 2007 regatta, he couldn't help but try and peer over the horizon beyond Valencia.

'The biggest problem with this event, in my personal opinion', he says, 'is the time.'

'It’s way too long between events, when we are not changing the boats. This event (31st America's Cup) should be happening right now in ’05. We should have raced here in 2003, gone off and done some events like we did. And the Challenger selection series should already be starting in March or April. If that were the case then the cash-burn rate for the teams would be half what it is at present. So you get as much or more sponsorship revenue (some would say more, because you get two big events in four years) for half the price!

(continued) >>

Welcome to "ignore."

Wanker. Reading some of the puerile shit you seem to post around here I'd say you were doing me a favour. Fucking Tosser.

for fucking seven posts you are carving yourself a niche. real smart dude, real smart!

at least i give it to you...those are two huge pieces of tits there.

but not my cupa...

--------------

-----------------

Well,my I.Q. droped a few points just reading that drivel.

...the counties of San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Cruz, Marin, Sonoma, Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, Solano, Napa and Monterey will prohibit the establishment of any challenger on their territories before October 2013. Why October? Because this way no challenger will be able to take their own wind measurements during the month of September in an area that spreads from Point Arena to the north down to Monterey to the south.

That's kind of ridiculous.

Welcome to "ignore."

Wanker. Reading some of the puerile shit you seem to post around here I'd say you were doing me a favour. Fucking Tosser.

for fucking seven posts you are carving yourself a niche. real smart dude, real smart!

at least i give it to you...those are two huge pieces of tits there.

but not my cupa...

Like I could give a fuck really. Only dropped in to see if BOR were living up to their promises of transparency and plain dealing. Starting to look like maybe not ? BTW - thanks for the heads up about the importance of the Challenge Document - strange that it has never been published - maybe they just don't want anybody to exploit any potential weakness in its formulation prior to rolling out the "Mutually Agreed(y)" conditions of the next match ?

The Deed says "friendly competition between countries" it does not say "secret agreement between friends"...

The Deed says "friendly competition between countries" it does not say "secret agreement between friends"...

Sure sounds closer to the intent than "Coerced secret agreement between enemies".

Like I could give a fuck really. Only dropped in to see if BOR were living up to their promises of transparency and plain dealing. Starting to look like maybe not ? BTW - thanks for the heads up about the importance of the Challenge Document - strange that it has never been published - maybe they just don't want anybody to exploit any potential weakness in its formulation prior to rolling out the "Mutually Agreed(y)" conditions of the next match ?

Welcome back Squid, it hasn't been the same with you away. Good to see you are still a psychopath.

Sure sounds closer to the intent than "Coerced secret agreement between enemies".

As someone once told me "The America's Cup is not a sport, it is a war between nations, fought in sailing boats"

No scoop on Rome, seems like RC and VO will be among those present is all I know. I would not expect any of the 'big four' decisions, it is still way too early, so your guess is as good as mine what the heck they will fill the air time with. Given the setting, I half expect a LOT of Italian, out of a lot of molto-importanto Italiano's basking in the glow of the Cup.

Most likely, but no harm in that. Anyway, just managed to get my invitation - forwarding this thread to the very kind lady at CNR may have helped - so I should be able to weed out the hot air and relate whatever substantial is unveiled.

Nor does it say "The Defender is required to tell Tornado-Cat the complete terms of the challenge and the match immediately upon receipt of the challenge or it shall be deemed invalid."

No scoop on Rome, seems like RC and VO will be among those present is all I know. I would not expect any of the 'big four' decisions, it is still way too early, so your guess is as good as mine what the heck they will fill the air time with. Given the setting, I half expect a LOT of Italian, out of a lot of molto-importanto Italiano's basking in the glow of the Cup.

Most likely, but no harm in that. Anyway, just managed to get my invitation - forwarding this thread to the very kind lady at CNR may have helped - so I should be able to weed out the hot air and relate whatever substantial is unveiled.

That's great.

Curious thing here, about a potential Moby Lines IPO. Maybe some of those importanto's had something to do with Moby getting some new ferry routes? Could be just the G-Trans, probably good news for VO regardless.

http://translate.goo...randChannel%3D0

edit:

The IPO proceeds will be used for "strengthening the existing routes, opening new and have little cash available for acquisitions in the Tyrrhenian basin there are more sellers than buyers, there are opportunities for consolidation."

edit2: better article here

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.affaritaliani.it%2Feconomia%2Fmobylines16042010.html

Nor does it say "The Defender is required to tell Tornado-Cat the complete terms of the challenge and the match immediately upon receipt of the challenge or it shall be deemed invalid."

Bor presumes that because the Deed does not specifically prohibit a secret agreement it is legal, but the it is contrary to the word and the spirit of the Deed.

Bor presumes that because the Deed does not specifically prohibit a secret agreement it is legal, but the it is contrary to the word and the spirit of the Deed.

FFS!!!

Where does it say that anything has to be made public? Nowhere. Please can you show me a single example that shows it is usual practice for the challenge document to be made public. In all the years I have folloowed the Cup, the only time I can remember the challenge documents being made public (at the time of the challenge or even soon after) was when GGYC issued their challenge last time. The only thing I have any recolection of is protocols for the matches being announced.

The matter is actually very simple. As we all know that there are negotiations happening to determine the Protocol for the next Cup, seeing the challenge document would be a total red herring and be of no use at all, which is probably why it hasn't been made public in the past. The things that are in the challenge document are so basic that it is highly improbable that there is a mistake and we know that the club is eligable. In fact, the challenge document is so basic I am pretty sure I could write a Deed legal one in less than 10 minutes and I probably wouldn't have to look anything up to do so.

As such, the non publication of the challenge documentation is not an issue.

FFS!!!

Where does it say that anything has to be made public? Nowhere. Please can you show me a single example that shows it is usual practice for the challenge document to be made public. In all the years I have folloowed the Cup, the only time I can remember the challenge documents being made public (at the time of the challenge or even soon after) was when GGYC issued their challenge last time. The only thing I have any recolection of is protocols for the matches being announced.

The matter is actually very simple. As we all know that there are negotiations happening to determine the Protocol for the next Cup, seeing the challenge document would be a total red herring and be of no use at all, which is probably why it hasn't been made public in the past. The things that are in the challenge document are so basic that it is highly improbable that there is a mistake and we know that the club is eligable. In fact, the challenge document is so basic I am pretty sure I could write a Deed legal one in less than 10 minutes and I probably wouldn't have to look anything up to do so.

Since when the mistakes of the past make law? What a stupid belief ! If that was the case, the history of the AC would make quite a funny "AC common law".

Yes it is a bit of paper hastily written on a Bor boat in order to buy time to write a protocol before any other real challenge can derail Bor plans for the cup.

Where did you see in the Deed that secret agreement and hip pocket challenge are allowed ? It has nothing to do with the word and the spirit of the Deed and what GS intended to create.

. . . Please can you show me a single example that shows it is usual practice for the challenge document to be made public . . .

You're welcome.

That link is not helping you at all A Guirri. THe America's Cup Committee represented the Defender and nowhere in the article were any details of that particular challenge discussed. The column merely quoted a few members of the Committee that received the Challenge. This is very much like what happened after AC33 with the press conference.

As such, I think all you've proven is that it is common for there not to be much news before MC has been reached.

FFS!!!

In all the years I have folloowed the Cup, the only time I can remember the challenge documents being made public (at the time of the challenge or even soon after) was when GGYC issued their challenge last time.

The NoC for CNEv was also published, that is how we found out that they had challenged with a V5 boat, but said in the NoC that it wasn't the boat they wanted to use, but wanted something else that didn't currently exist.

Of course the 1988 NoC was made public. On most other occasions it was irrelevant, as it was made known by the Defender that they would accept a the Challenge in a predetermined boat (the 12 metre), or a boat to the IACC and then ACC boat, and a Challenger was lined up, duly complied, and was accepted. Now, like CNEV in 2007 we have a situation where the Challenger has to nominate a boat and dates for the Challenge to be valid, and neither appear to be in the public domain. It is accepted that under Mutual Consent the parties can do what they like, however the Challenger has to make a first pitch, before Mutual Consent can be started, as you have first to lodged a valid Challenge before the MC process can start.

What is that boat? We don't know.

What are the dates? we don't know.

Then you start the MC process.

What is the venue? That is for the Defender to name, at some later time when they have it sorted out. But the MC process is not dependent on that.

RG

The NoC for CNEv was also published, that is how we found out that they had challenged with a V5 boat, but said in the NoC that it wasn't the boat they wanted to use, but wanted something else that didn't currently exist.

The NoC from CNEV was only made public as a result of the court case, it was in one of the documents SNG filed.

FFS!!!

In all the years I have folloowed the Cup, the only time I can remember the challenge documents being made public (at the time of the challenge or even soon after) was when GGYC issued their challenge last time.

Of course the 1988 NoC was made public. On most other occasions it was irrelevant, as it was made known by the Defender that they would accept a the Challenge in a predetermined boat (the 12 metre), or a boat to the IACC and then ACC boat, and a Challenger was lined up, duly complied, and was accepted. Now, like CNEV in 2007 we have a situation where the Challenger has to nominate a boat and dates for the Challenge to be valid, and neither appear to be in the public domain. It is accepted that under Mutual Consent the parties can do what they like, however the Challenger has to make a first pitch, before Mutual Consent can be started, as you have first to lodged a valid Challenge before the MC process can start.

What is the venue? That is for the Defender to name, at some later time when they have it sorted out. But the MC process is not dependent on that.

RG

+ 1000

. . . Please can you show me a single example that shows it is usual practice for the challenge document to be made public . . .

You're welcome.

That link is not helping you at all A Guirri. THe America's Cup Committee represented the Defender and nowhere in the article were any details of that particular challenge discussed. The column merely quoted a few members of the Committee that received the Challenge. This is very much like what happened after AC33 with the press conference.

As such, I think all you've proven is that it is common for there not to be much news before MC has been reached.

Sorry but I'd have to disagree. If you read the piece again you will see that Dunraven is asking that the NYYC publish the correspondence as soon as possible and clarifying (as a matter of courtesy) that he can release the same to the UK Press. Note that the date of this article is December 8 1894. This reflects the position that it is the Defender's prerogative to authorise release of private correspondence in the matter (it would appear). In this case - and because of a high degree of public interest in the matter (I suppose) - the NYYC were agreeable to this.

If you Google "Dunraven expects a Race" you will find an article published Jan 3 1895, which contains relevant correspondence for the issues that they were discussing. If you Google "Dunraven Writes to James D Smith" you will find an articele dated 26 February 1895 in which Dunraven (writing 31 Jan 1895) confirms the acceptance of his Challenge as of correspondence received from the NYYC 14 Jan 1895.

Therefore you can see that in this case - one in which there was high anticipation that MC would be achieved and that the public interest was held in regard - the issues at hand were in the public realm prior to formal acceptance of the Challenge and contemporaneously with the process of deciding the Challenge acceptability. It is interesting to note that the process of MC precedes the acceptance of the Challenge in this case.

Of course this doesn't mean that this is a precedent for what has to happen today - but it certainly is not correct to say that the "norm" has been for all correspondence to have been shrouded in secrecy for fear of prejudice to negotiations ?

FWIW.

It is accepted that under Mutual Consent the parties can do what they like, however the Challenger has to make a first pitch, before Mutual Consent can be started, as you have first to lodged a valid Challenge before the MC process can start.

RG

And all of that is irrelevant UNLESS the mutual consent process breaks down. You of all people should know that.

FFS!!!

RG

So, you are suggesting that type of boat and possible dates should not be included in the mutual consent process? I think it would be much better to ask for the input of the challengers both regarding possible dates and boat design before going public with suggestions. Since all that however, is dependent on the venue (depth and size restrictions?) it is a for more complex process than you suggest and most certainly not a linear one. I am pretty sure that behind the scene there is an awful lot of talking going on and imo it is good that it is currently not in the public domain. Once BMWOracle and ML have achieved MC on the key parameters with the key players (ETNZ, Origin, Prada and the likes) it is time to go public and try to encourage other teams to join.

[i think it would be much better to ask for the input of the challengers both regarding possible dates and boat design before going public with suggestions. Since all that however, is dependent on the venue (depth and size restrictions?) it is a for more complex process than you suggest and most certainly not a linear one. I am pretty sure that behind the scene there is an awful lot of talking going on and imo it is good that it is currently not in the public domain. Once BMWOracle and ML have achieved MC on the key parameters with the key players (ETNZ, Origin, Prada and the likes) it is time to go public and try to encourage other teams to join.

I think you have nicely captured the process.

Thursday will likely confirm something along these lines.

The fact the annoucement is in Italy suggests a major role for te CoR.

Does anyone have that link about the Maddalena LVT losing a bunch of government money that was originally earmarked for event expenses?

Does anyone have that link about the Maddalena LVT losing a bunch of government money that was originally earmarked for event expenses?

Try this (but you'll have to translate it). Haven't heard anything further on the matter, I suppose the government has worked around it.

BTW, am told Thurday's affair will see a 1-minute welcome by Rome's Mayor, then short speech by CNR's president. After that just VO, RC and Q&As.

std_USATourD3_0282.jpg'USA Victory Tour - Day 3 - Cup in San Diego - Onboard the USS Midway - Russell Coutts - Larry Ellison' BMW Oracle Racing © Photo Gilles Martin-Raget Click Here to view large photo

BMW Oracle Racing the holders of the America's Cup have advised that Russell Coutts and Vincenzo Onorato, representing the Defender and Challenger of Record respectively, will reveal details of the 34th America’s Cup Match during a press conference in Rome on Thursday 6th May.

The pair will usher in a new era of cooperation and consultation between teams as the America’s Cup community comes together to rejuvenate sailing’s ultimate prize as the premiere international sporting event.

The press conference, scheduled to start at 1230 CET, 2230hrs (NZT); will be held at the spectacular Musei Capitolini, in the heart of Rome, the home city of the Challenger's yacht club.

Coutts, the CEO of BMW ORACLE Racing and Onorato, the principal of the Mascalzone Latino team, will jointly lay out details for the next event, as well as a roadmap of significant dates towards the 34th America’s Cup.

The press conference will be streamed live on the internet at www.americascup.com and be available for on-demand viewing immediately afterwards.

Sail-World will carry full coverage of the event.

And if you want to cleanse your heart and mind of the past two and a half years, flick onto the new www.americascup.com and let the images take you back though the good times. It's great therapy. Well done, guys!

by Richard Gladwell

... live on the internet at www.americascup.com and be available for on-demand viewing immediately afterwards.

The just-now-released new look is encouraging, check it out.

Definitely a step up.

<object width="560" height="340" id="lsplayer" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.livestream.com/grid/LSPlayer.swf?channel=34thac&autoPlay=false"></param><param'>http://cdn.livestream.com/grid/LSPlayer.swf?channel=34thac&autoPlay=false"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed name="lsplayer" wmode="transparent" src="http://cdn.livestream.com/grid/LSPlayer.swf?channel=34thac&autoPlay=false" width="560" height="340" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object><div style="font-size: 11px;padding-top:10px;text-align:center;width:560px"><a href="http://www.livestream.com/34thac?utm_source=lsplayer&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=footerlinks" title="Watch 34thac">34thac</a> on livestream.com. <a href="http://www.livestream.com/?utm_source=lsplayer&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=footerlinks" title="Broadcast Live Free">Broadcast Live Free</a></div>

Text from website:

The oldest trophy in international sport: re-energised by unprecedented collaboration between the Defender and the Challengers

* - New, fair rules and independent professional management will give an equal opportunity to all teams

* - A new class of fast, exciting boats created in conjunction with all teams

* - The 159 year old competition made irresistible to commercial partners with regular racing in multiple venues under professional, neutral race management

* - Transformed television and online coverage will place race fans right at the heart of the action, wherever they are in the world

This was the message today at the first press conference of the 34th America’s Cup, which saw the trophy brought to the home city of the Challenger of Record, the Club Nautico di Roma.

Speaking in the Sala Exedra in Rome’s Musei Capitolini, surrounded by some of Rome’s most precious treasures, Russell Coutts representing the defending Golden Gate Yacht Club and Vincenzo Onorato on behalf of the Challenger of Record, mapped out the future of the America’s Cup.

The press conference webcast was streamed live around the world.

Discussion & debate; consultation & collaboration

“Diktat has been replaced by discussion, confrontation by consultation,” said Coutts, four time winner of the iconic competition.

“Our minds and our ears are open. We are receptive to ideas.”

The opportunity to shape the rules and the design of the new boat has been offered to potential teams.

The management of the on-the-water racing will be controlled by an independent, neutral and professional authority, not the Defender.

New Protocol rules

Yesterday teams received the Protocol used in the 32nd America’s Cup and were asked: “What would you change to make the competition better?”

This document was negotiated by the Golden Gate Yacht Club and produced the successful 2007 America’s Cup. Feedback from the teams will be used to shape a new Protocol for the 34th Match.

The wide-ranging reforms would not have been possible without close co-operation with the other teams – who will be the Defender’s rivals when racing gets underway.

In particular Coutts noted the unprecedented collaboration between the Challenger of Record and Defender: “The task would have been impossible without working in partnership with Vincenzo Onorato.”

Onorato was given the honour of revealing the key decision date targets on behalf of the entire America’s Cup community.

Key dates announced

* - Protocol for the 34th America’s Cup will be issued by 31st August

* - Design rule released by 30th September

* - Notice of Race & Sailing Instructions published by 31st December

* - Venue confirmed by 31st December

* - Challenge Period open from 1st October – 31st January 2011

New thinking on television

A bow-to-stern re-think of the entire television and media output is already underway.

Not only will fans be able to turn-on and tune-in, anytime, on any platform, but they will be made to feel as if they are on-board themselves, right at the heart of the action, alongside the best sailors in the world.

New boat- faster sailing & thrilling racing

The new design rule will be a critical element of building a spectacular event.

Renowned but neutral designers – Bruce Nelson and Peter Melvin – have created two different concepts – a multihull and a monohull.

Teams will sit down this month and discuss which concept to adopt and begin the process to create a design rule.

The requirements of the new America’s Cup Class rule are:

* - It should produce dynamic and close racing

* - It should use advanced, efficient and cost-effective technologies

* - It should be distinctive and epitomize the pinnacle of the sport

* - It should be able to race in any venue in winds from 5-35 knots

The ability to race in all venues and in most wind strengths is vital to make race scheduling reliable for fans and broadcasters.

“Delays kill interest. Even the hard-core fan doesn’t like having to wait for enough wind to race,” said Coutts.

Venue and Year-host cities evaluated

2013 and 2014 were named as the most likely dates for the next Cup.

Sufficient time is needed to evaluate venues and create impressive, efficient infrastructure for the Cup Village.

Coutts confirmed that American sites were not the only ones under consideration. But he noted: “Every candidate city knows that a very strong case has already been put forward by San Francisco.”

Cities in the USA and Europe are under consideration.

Highly experienced specialists have been engaged to manage the evaluation process.

Regular racing in multiple locations

Host cities are also being sought for a series of regular racing for Cup teams. This racing will be integrated into the America’s Cup, in a plan developed in conjunction with the World Sailing Teams Association.

Changes welcomed by Cup community

Paul Cayard, six-time America’s Cup competitor and representing not just Sweden’s Team Artemis but the World Sailing Teams Association, commented on the reform package:

“We believe that the WSTA and its Louis Vuitton Trophy events are exactly the type of activity that needs to be incorporated into the big picture of the America’s Cup.

“With its global venues in important markets, regular calendar of events, tight racing in America’s Cup class boats, equal representation for each team, these events represent great commercial value that the teams can pass along to their sponsors.”

Challenger trials for the challengers & litigation ended

Coutts confirmed that the Defender will not participate in the Challenger trials as the previous Defender had done. And that all litigation from the contentious 33rd America’s Cup was over because of a settlement signed last month with the Swiss.

“That episode is history. Our focus is the future,” Coutts said.

Text from website: lotsa yada yada

And that all litigation from the contentious 33rd America's Cup was over because of a settlement signed last month with the Swiss.

"That episode is history. Our focus is the future," Coutts said.

I suspect our master of pomposity will dedicate a whole thread to it, full with bold lines, but one might consider that this Rome fling was more about this last phrase than anything else, it was a psychological closure of the previous cycle and all the shenanigans that went with it, and the start of the next cycle ... one would hope without too many shenanigans, but then one could also hope to win the lottery twice in one day wink.gif

We would not want Albatros disappointed. So here goes.

Having now watched it I reckon this event in Rome was a manifestation of the new "globalism" we are about to see in the AC. I just hope this evokes challengers from Asia, Latin America and poorer parts of Africa.

There are some places in the world (eg. Canada, parts of Europe) where it is routine to work in multiple languages and across cultures.

I thought the Rome arrangements were pretty good and, as usual in these kinds of things, the interpreters were under massive pressure. I thought the structure of this event was an expression of a more ecumenical approach to AC racing than before.

Second, I thought Russell hit the right spots. The words "consensus" and "consultation" were in every second sentence. As Albatros notes above, this event was the end of the previous episode and begining of the new. Some questions contained incendiary potential and RC easily batted away those they do want to answer at this time.

It was interesting to see who was in the audience. I did not see Xlot because I do not know him. But there at the front was Bob Fisher. That guy well understands the importance of showing-up. Being on scene. Did anyone see Stuart?

Fourth, I do not know why Russell would not say the words "Louis Vuitton." But Bruno's presence in the crowd clearly signals what we should expect.

I have just reread Cam Lewis's RTW on a big multi book. Jeez, that is him! Put in a suit after a scrub down.

There were no big surprises at Rome.

But a lot to applaud.

I take this event as a 'we gotta tell 'em something.......' event.

Hopefully............this means that they are taking their time to try and get it right. Getting San Fran sorted to make a decision on hosting will not come overnight, and so this leaves a hole that has to be filled before moving-on to the next phase. My feeling is they are trying to lay the groundwork, and when SF or wherever is solidified, then the rest of the details will fall in place. Sending the protocol for review is a good step. Kind of shows that VO and his club are willing to make it a 'group effort'. But as RC stated, GGYC is not going to be involved in the CSS, that they have to run their own selection, and this is as it should be.

But until that moment, they cannot state much as fact and decided, as much as we all would like to have it.

I have a feeling that LV and the WTSA is going to be the running regatta circuit leading-up to the CSS and Cup match, as too much is already set-up, in place, running, and BOR are already invested in it. And I think the LV Cup will be back in the challenger format.

No bad news, not as much news as we wanted, but the framework is in place.

All in all, a good day.

Any idea when the GGYC plans to update their site? I'd recommend the following:

Change the header from "GGYC challenge to the 33rd America's Cup" to "GGYCs Defense of the 34th America's Cup" or simply News on the 34th America's Cup...something!

A link to the new improved americascup.com website

The most recent release (posted above) about the PC.

And really...why wasn't there an announcement up about the Presser today?

For example: http://www.clubnauticoroma.it/Documents.asp?DocumentAreaID=221

While I certainly enjoyed seeing and hearing everything, I can't help but wonder why they had a press conference?

Gorgeous venue, great to see the challenger with the defender, but why not announce this in a release? Why the expense?

Except...if this is to woo sponsors, get attention, and signal, by being in Rome, that they truly are working mutually.

I'm looking forward to hearing about what's next from the WSTA - I think you're right, HHN92.

Any idea when the GGYC plans to update their site? I'd recommend the following:

Change the header from "GGYC challenge to the 33rd America's Cup" to "GGYCs Defense of the 34th America's Cup" or simply News on the 34th America's Cup...something!

A link to the new improved americascup.com website

The most recent release (posted above) about the PC.

And really...why wasn't there an announcement up about the Presser today?

For example: http://www.clubnauticoroma.it/Documents.asp?DocumentAreaID=221

The absence of the YC officials irritates me.

Ray Thomas was there from the GGYC was there someone present from CNdR?