Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theworm13

Wow...SA misses out on this?

So I get home from BIIRW (Bermuda) expecting to see all the details on a little rule 69 protest from the Bermuda race week. Yet nothing on SA? WTF? Come on all you SA diggers, start digging! Yep, 2 people were brought up and found guilty of a rule 69 violation in the J-24 fleet. Lets go...start digging...

So I get home from BIIRW (Bermuda) expecting to see all the details on a little rule 69 protest from the Bermuda race week. Yet nothing on SA? WTF? Come on all you SA diggers, start digging! Yep, 2 people were brought up and found guilty of a rule 69 violation in the J-24 fleet. Lets go...start digging...

so what happened?

That's some serious... Any details that ISAF may receive ?

Mark

Dude, if you were there, you tell us. I just did the Newport to Ensenada and there was no drama at all. I had to pay a 1-star hooker forty pesos to hassle the skipper to make up for the lack of drama.

Dude, if you were there, you tell us. I just did the Newport to Ensenada and there was no drama at all. I had to pay a 1-star hooker forty pesos to hassle the skipper to make up for the lack of drama.

Pics or it never...oh...only 40 pesos? Nevermind.

(They have a rating system for hookers?)

Ok...here is what I do know and was posted on the protest board. 2 J-24 competitors on the winning boat, Scott Snyder (I think Snyder), and Tim Wilkes were protested under rule 69 for gross misconduct. The pc found Tim Wilkes guilty and gave him a warning and no further action. No mention of Scott.

Now...from what I know. This was not a racing issue, it happened in the evening. I have rumors of what happened, but no firm info...so not posting it here.

My understanding was that the PC felt that they could only give a warning since it was not racing related, and they could not DQ the boat since it was not the whole crew, only 2 of the 5. So the best they could do was a warning with regards to BIIRW.

Now...what will USSailing do? They should now deal with this as both were US sailors and I assume both were found guilty of rule 69. Some sanction should be given I suspect.

So anyone have details on what did happen?

Ok...here is what I do know and was posted on the protest board. 2 J-24 competitors on the winning boat, Scott Snyder (I think Snyder), and Tim Wilkes were protested under rule 69 for gross misconduct. The pc found Tim Wilkes guilty and gave him a warning and no further action. No mention of Scott.

Now...from what I know. This was not a racing issue, it happened in the evening. I have rumors of what happened, but no firm info...so not posting it here.

My understanding was that the PC felt that they could only give a warning since it was not racing related, and they could not DQ the boat since it was not the whole crew, only 2 of the 5. So the best they could do was a warning with regards to BIIRW.

Now...what will USSailing do? They should now deal with this as both were US sailors and I assume both were found guilty of rule 69. Some sanction should be given I suspect.

US SAILING will do nothing. Warnings under r69 are not reported to us sailing, only penalties. the PC was wrong that they could not penalize the competitors (and by extension, the boat).

post-1322-127283986462_thumb.jpg

I have rumors of what happened, but no firm info...so not posting it here.

If people only posted firm info this forum would have six posts. What's the dirt? Bar fight? Screwing the PRO's daughter?

I have rumors of what happened, but no firm info...so not posting it here.

If people only posted firm info this forum would have six posts. What's the dirt? Bar fight? Screwing the PRO's daughter?

Screwing the PRO's daughter? If only Lesbian Robot was around, we might be able to get the full story.

Fine...the rumor was that the competitors were pissing on another competitors boat after the party at the yacht club (and taking pictures, etc). Pretty disrespectful considering the boats are donated by the fleet (not chartered), the fleet provides housing for all competitors, and this was one of the Bermudian boats (who also hosted a party for the fleet at his house).

Personally...I would have tossed them from the regatta, banned them from ever coming back to the club, and reported them to the national authority. That is total disrespectful behavior, drunk or not, and warrants appropriate action considering the entire circumstances.

Again, this was the "rumor" as to what happened. IF someone has more info to correct me, please post here or pm me and I will edit my post.

Wait... They got tossed out for adding salt water to boats sailed in salt water? :blink:

So we're learning here that it's not cool to piss all over the decks of a competitor's boat?

How 'bout #2? Is it OK to leave a little loaf on the cockpit sole?

Somebody Else...I think you would agree that while pissing on a boat does not "harm" it in any way, it is totally disrespectful and inappropriate behavior in any situation.

And BTW...I think a "warning" under rule 69 is a total BS situation. So if we have someone with 3-4 "warnings"...does that serve any proper justice? Each PC could simply warn the same person who has received other warnings.

I believe that any rule 69 situation should be sent to the national authority regardless of the result. Rule 69 is a major deal, and being found guilty (and warned) should at the minimum be tracked. The national authority may not impose a penalty on the first offense, but a repeat offender would at least then be dealt with.

And yes, this situation REALLY ticks me off. The more I think about it, the more it bothers me. The host fleet/individuals go WAY out of their way to provide the best event possible. This should be considered an HONOR to attend. Behavior like this should never be excused in any way, and it is totally disrespectful. And as a competitor it is even further disrespectful to us to realize that they were the winners of the event who didn't even sail on the last day (they had it won with the 2 throw-outs). A DSQ would have at least taken the win away from them, which based on those actions they did not deserve.

Both of the individuals cited are not new to the scene either, Tim runs a sailing photo company and Scott was attending his 4th BIIRW. They are not just drunk nubs who did something stupid, they know better.

I'm done with it, I hope one or both post something here at least trying to explain themselves or clarify what happened...but I doubt they will.

and all the witnesses were sober at the time of the incident...and gave reliable evidence before the pc ???

Wait... They got tossed out for adding salt water to boats sailed in salt water? :blink:

So we're learning here that it's not cool to piss all over the decks of a competitor's boat?

I was carefully instructed at J/24 Worlds a few years ago by my brilliant aussie skipper that urine is the best deck cleaner for a J/24. Maybe Timmy knows too. And leaving a loaf for a friend just says "I'm so grateful for your friendship," doesn't it?

and all the witnesses were sober at the time of the incident...and gave reliable evidence before the pc ???

Ok one more post. The person who brought this to the attention was the owner or crew of another boat who was going down to check on their boat. They either photographed the incident, or were clear enough to report it, I have no reason to doubt that it happened...

Urine is a body fluid and if done to a person can be considered a felonious attack (unless you are paying for the pleasure ).

If the story is true, they should be booted from the regatta and the offenders should be banned for a period of a year.

Trolls at best.

not the first time I've heard of that happening. The first time I heard of that kind of story it did include a loaf left on the deck. As long as no damage was done it's not that big of a deal IMO. If someone does something like that, there was usually something done by the victim to warrant such a behavior.

The way I would have handled it:

If they were from out of town I would have them scrub the boat until satisfactory and ban them from the club

If they were locals/from the immediate area I would have them scrub the boat, have them write and sign a formal apology and put them on probation.

Taking this to the national authority is going a little overboard for something like this

Somebody Else...I think you would agree that while pissing on a boat does not "harm" it in any way, it is totally disrespectful and inappropriate behavior in any situation.

Keep a sense of proportion. If you exclude for pissing on aboat, what are you going to do for bad manners offences that are really serious?

And BTW...I think a "warning" under rule 69 is a total BS situation. So if we have someone with 3-4 "warnings"...does that serve any proper justice? Each PC could simply warn the same person who has received other warnings.

I believe that any rule 69 situation should be sent to the national authority regardless of the result. Rule 69 is a major deal, and being found guilty (and warned) should at the minimum be tracked. The national authority may not impose a penalty on the first offense, but a repeat offender would at least then be dealt with.

You're totally misunderstanding how rule 69 works. It works at two levels:

• Firstly it provides a mechanism for dealing with 'bad manners', unrelated to racing, starting with a warning for lesser offences, which this is, going up to excluding really seriously bad mannered competitors from racing, thus protecting the host club's rights to maintain their good manners standards and not remain obliged to accommodate people who they would expel and eject from their premises, for really serious breaches of good manners. If the protest committee settles for a warning, that is where it stops.
  • Secondly, it provides a mechanism for dealing with 'gross breaches of sportsmanship' that call for sanctions beyond merely a DNE under rule 2, or which may otherwise evade the protest requirements. Although a protest committee might give a DNE under rule 2 and a warning under rule 69 for an incident, these racing related gross breaches of sportsmanship, will usually get higher than a warning, and will therefore get reported to the MNA/ISAF so that they can take further action if they choose to do so.

Your hypothetical about a 'serial bad manners offender' is a bit silly. Surely we can assume that our fellow sailors are not unmannerly boors. We certainly don't want a national database of bad mannered sailors. A protest committee is not prevented from acting on its own knowledge of previous events, and if necessary might take a previous warning into account and give a penalty thus attracting the attention of the MNA.

I was carefully instructed at J/24 Worlds a few years ago by my brilliant aussie skipper that urine is the best deck cleaner for a J/24. Maybe Timmy knows too. And leaving a loaf for a friend just says "I'm so grateful for your friendship," doesn't it?

Brilliant my arse.

Everyone knows urine is sterile. It's also excellent for curing tinea and the amonia acts as a powerful cleaning agent.

All considerations regarding disrespect aside, I personally think all J24s deserve to be pissed on. As a racing boat, they are a piece of crap. However, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to launch a turd on one.

Mex

Whether Urine is sterile (unless you have a bladder infection) is IRRELAVANT.

This type of conduct at any Venue needs to be shown as something that will not be tolerated. Whether being spat, pissed or a rude dump, these F's need to be BANNED for the rest of the year. I personally would find the A-Holes and give them a good BITCH-SLAP if it were my boat.

The only place sailors can get away with this type of shit is here on the SA forums, where you can hide behind a sock puppet (you can thank the Ed for that).

This type of conduct at any Venue needs to be shown as something that will not be tolerated. Whether being spat, pissed or a rude dump, these F's need to be BANNED for the rest of the year. I personally would find the A-Holes and give them a good BITCH-SLAP if it were my boat.

The only place sailors can get away with this type of shit is here on the SA forums, where you can hide behind a sock puppet (you can thank the Ed for that).

Dunno about all that Davey. If I showed up in the morning to a turd in my cockpit, I would laugh my ass off. Y'all need to buy a sense of (potty) humor.

Ahhhhh- Now I don't know the boat owner or what may have preceded the said incident, but I do know both Scott and Tim & can tell you they are both decent guys. Must have been having a good time & apparently got a little carried away. Probably not hard to believe that I have been guilty of doing the same on occasion. Although I can say that I have never pissed/deuced on any body's personal property, I do know of a guy who had the mast-hole of his laser crapped in... I would go ape-shit if that happened to me, but from the outside I really gotta chuckle...

I might agree they owe some sincere apologies, but that is about it.

my .02 C

I'm with you Dawg. No place for that kind of behaviour in the sport!

I might agree they owe some sincere apologies, but that is about it.

+1

Dunno about all that Davey. If I showed up in the morning to a turd in my cockpit, I would laugh my ass off. Y'all need to buy a sense of (potty) humor.

Clean, GIVE ME A BREAK, if I went to a 2.4mR regatta and found out someone pissed on my boat.............I carry a kershaw in my wheelchair pouch........I would look for a noodle to cut off.

You do not spend thousands of dollars to travel to a regatta (it costs almost 2k minimum for me to travel back east and do a regatta) and have some worthless piece of crap piss on your boat.

Maybe you do not care but I do and I am sure the majority do also.

On the Tele as I write this, is the Mike ************ "Austin Powers, Gold Member", I do know what potty humor is and going potty on someones boat is not potty humor.......it is just plain DISGUSTING.

GROW UP.

damn DAWG, did you just watch the wings game?

.........................who pissed on who ???

The PC could totally have kicked them out of the regatta had they wanted to. Remember what happened at BIRW last year?

To be fair, the two aren't really comparable.

One inflicted serious damage on a Block Island resident's property, and was also severely illegal. (Isn't DUI a felony?) Not to mention dangerous.

This was disrespectful, yes, but physically harmful or dangerous, no.

The PC could totally have kicked them out of the regatta had they wanted to. Remember what happened at BIRW last year?

Baryly....BARLyY....WHyRy'S THy CAPS LOCK ON THIS FUCKING THING?

Ydit - Thanks for thy anonymous pm. Is thyry an occasional caps kry thing? Yvvry timr I hit thy "y" kyy, it dhits thy byd..

Thanks,

Yvyn.

Clean, GIVE ME A BREAK, if I went to a 2.4mR regatta and found out someone pissed on my boat.............I carry a kershaw in my wheelchair pouch........I would look for a noodle to cut off.

You do not spend thousands of dollars to travel to a regatta (it costs almost 2k minimum for me to travel back east and do a regatta) and have some worthless piece of crap piss on your boat.

On the Tele as I write this, is the Mike ************ "Austin Powers, Gold Member", I do know what potty humor is and going potty on someones boat is not potty humor.......it is just plain DISGUSTING.

GROW UP.

What you have to remember is that clean does not own a race boat, and he also does not have enough pride to care if someone takes a dump on the boat he is going to race on...

I would say that the majority here would be pissed off if someone shit on thier boat..I'm talking boat owner and crew..better not let my guys find out who thinks it's potty humour to take a shit on our boat...

but then obviously we don't have cleans sense of humour...

I wonder how funny it would be for him if he didn't see the offending pile, slid in it, got shit on his shorts, shit on his sa tee shirt and sa jacket and had to sit on the rail with his crew mates, stinking up the place... maybe they would see the funny side...

going potty on someones boat is not potty humor.......it is just plain DISGUSTING.

GROW UP.

First: I don't think you're allowed to use "going potty" and "grow up" in the same context.

Second: People "go potty" on other people's boats all the time. They're called "marine heads" and they are the definition of disgusting.

Third: What is really disgusting is sleeping with your head 9 inches away from someones butt as they are blasting out yesterday's burritos, separated from the nastiness by a thin piece of marine plywood called a "bulkhead".

Dispespectfull? Probably, but unless it was in your bunk get over it.

Sailed offshore with guys who made it quite clear that pissing on the deck was far preferable to a MOB.

Ever seen the results of half a loaf of bread spread over an unattended deck? Now thats uncool.ph34r.gif

I'm with you Dawg. No place for that kind of behaviour in the sport!

Absolutely

Sailed offshore with guys who made it quite clear that pissing on the deck was far preferable to a MOB.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif[/img]

Totally agree that pissing on the deck of the boat you are sailing on is infinitely better than a MOB. Done it myself on other boats many times and requested crew to do it to my boat. However there is normally white water involved to clean everything - including your foulies!

However pissing on an opponent's boat, especially when that guy has provided hospitality for the fleet, is WAY out of order!

New name forcast for the J/24 fleet, perhaps in annapolis: "Golden Shower"

when/where are you sailing next B)

GROW UP.

What you have to remember is that clean does not own a race boat, and he also does not have enough pride to care if someone takes a dump on the boat he is going to race on...

I would say that the majority here would be pissed off if someone shit on thier boat..I'm talking boat owner and crew..better not let my guys find out who thinks it's potty humour to take a shit on our boat...

but then obviously we don't have cleans sense of humour...

I wonder how funny it would be for him if he didn't see the offending pile, slid in it, got shit on his shorts, shit on his sa tee shirt and sa jacket and had to sit on the rail with his crew mates, stinking up the place... maybe they would see the funny side...

I'd laugh MY ass off and probably piss myself :lol:

However pissing on an opponent's boat, especially when that guy has provided hospitality for the fleet, is WAY out of order!

Yep. although it would depend where - on the topsides - "grow up kiddy and go polish the guys boat till it shines". Inside the cabin or where it will drain into the cabin then you're out of the event AND paying for a full hygenic clean up job. Urine is *normally* sterile, but the exceptions can be very nasty indeed.

Point of order!

Was it:

A - Drunk pissing of dock in the dark and realize halfway through you are pissing on a boat?

B - Pissed on boat on purpose?

C - Pissed on boat on purpose while yelling "Look at me"?

Modify with target of piss:

1 - Hull

2 - Deck

3 - Cockpit

4 - Down open hatch

Now establish punishment:

A1 - Clean every J24

A2 - Clean every J24 AND get a DSQ/DNF/DFL for one race

A3 - Clean every J24 AND get a DSQ/DNF/DFL for one race and buy round for all competitors.

A4 or B1 - Two month suspension + Clean every J24 AND get a DSQ/DNF/DFL for one race and buy round for all competitors.

B2 - Four month suspension + Clean every J24 AND get a DSQ/DNF/DFL for two races and buy round for all competitors.

B3 - Six month suspension + Clean every J24 AND get a DSQ/DNF/DFL for all races and buy round for all competitors.

B4 - 1 year suspension + have to deliver a Mac 26 while wearing a tutu.

C1,2,3 and 4 - 1 year suspension + have to deliver a Mac 26 while wearing a tutu AND have phone number on Craigslist under some kind of "will do donkey porn for cheap" category.

All IMHO of course..........................................

Seriously - If I had set this up and provided the boats, I would be changing their result to DFL big time. Just plain rude to people that did a lot for you to have fun.

I havent laughed like this in days, what a great topic on a sad story!

althoug pissing on someones boat inshore sucks, im guilty of it too. I once worked for Tallarook in the whitsundays, we did maintenance on charterwreck Samurai, a nice s&s 50 foot or so wich was on the dry that week. After a week worth of sanding, filling dents and varnishing the interieur, old waynedrunk the owner decided in his ever lasting wisdom, he would be chaeper of not paying us.

We got pretty drunk that night, and went back to the yard in ABM, and pissed all over the fresh sanded starboard side. The regular maintenance guy came in the next morning and spraypainted its current red on her without cleaning (i know)

i still feel guilty towards the boat though, such nice lines

i totally agree with dawg on this.

If someone pissed or for that matter shit on my boat, they would not have to worry about a rule 69 warning. And I would take my 2 years off with the satisfaction that I pounded his fucking head in. <_<

mr clean, what say u if someone pinched a loaf in your sailing boot?

"This boat smells like shit."

As a visitor in another country I'm pretty much disgusted. You're an Ambassador for both the sport and your country when you compete abroad.

US ailng should initiate action

Should this happen to me while I was "other wise occupied" and I catch you, I'd gladly take the rule 69 penalty and take a hike from sailing.

First I'd shave my head, pierce something then travel the world writing ficticious marine poetry for a few years until I fucked the wrong daughter then went back to hiding as a suit and tie tax compliant yacht owner. We clear?

Ah, you think I haven't been part of the after regatta rugby scrums that totally trash bars and that sort of shit?

Run a muck all you like outside. Best behave at the host club though....you can party pretty bloody hard without making a cunt of yourself

young fellers...do well at sailing.........have a few long drinx after doing well...........big future..........host club has not closed off that future.........win/win..............now wearing some shame....dealt with by host club............what is the problem ?????????????

too many of you have bought your blue blazers and cravatts too soon !!!!

...............too many of you have never done shit like this ???????????????

i do not think so......................

where is the damage .....except to feelings ??????????????????

pl lock this thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

young fellers...do well at sailing.........have a few long drinx after doing well...........big future..........host club has not closed off that future.........win/win..............now wearing some shame....dealt with by host club............what is the problem ?????????????

too many of you have bought your blue blazers and cravatts too soon !!!!

...............too many of you have never done shit like this ???????????????

i do not think so......................

where is the damage .....except to feelings ??????????????????

pl lock this thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not man up and take a piss on me instead? Why piss on the boat?

Tell us where you draw the line? Not like you have any pride in ownership.

Point of order!

Was it:

A - Drunk pissing of dock in the dark and realize halfway through you are pissing on a boat?

B - Pissed on boat on purpose?

C - Pissed on boat on purpose while yelling "Look at me"?

Modify with target of piss:

1 - Hull

2 - Deck

3 - Cockpit

4 - Down open hatch

Now establish punishment:

A1 - Clean every J24

A2 - Clean every J24 AND get a DSQ/DNF/DFL for one race

A3 - Clean every J24 AND get a DSQ/DNF/DFL for one race and buy round for all competitors.

A4 or B1 - Two month suspension + Clean every J24 AND get a DSQ/DNF/DFL for one race and buy round for all competitors.

B2 - Four month suspension + Clean every J24 AND get a DSQ/DNF/DFL for two races and buy round for all competitors.

B3 - Six month suspension + Clean every J24 AND get a DSQ/DNF/DFL for all races and buy round for all competitors.

B4 - 1 year suspension + have to deliver a Mac 26 while wearing a tutu.

C1,2,3 and 4 - 1 year suspension + have to deliver a Mac 26 while wearing a tutu AND have phone number on Craigslist under some kind of "will do donkey porn for cheap" category.

All IMHO of course..........................................

Seriously - If I had set this up and provided the boats, I would be changing their result to DFL big time. Just plain rude to people that did a lot for you to have fun.

Don't know the circumstances, but know the guys and it was prob an oh crap moment between the dock and the boat when someone surprised them mid Piss. Who hasn't done this at some point.

Otherwise what Kent said.

you guys are turining this into a pissing contest ohmy.gif

Don't know the circumstances, but know the guys and it was prob an oh crap moment between the dock and the boat when someone surprised them mid Piss. Who hasn't done this at some point.

Agree. We've sent this thread to Tim to see what he has to say, if he's not too pissed after reading it.

salt water from above

salt water from below ????

where is the damage ???????

what is malicious ????????????

they were drunk

wtf

This was disrespectful, yes, but physically harmful or dangerous, no.

i piss on my own boat

better than mob

where is the damage ?????????

slap on the wrist....is in proportion

take a cold shower and look at yourselves more closely

If it was case of caught short and it's been blown out by some officious local I'll back off. Just doesn't read like that to me from what's been tabled here

Fine, I'll just chill with "mouth wide open".

Fuck you juvi cunt. I'll make it memorable.

Holy Crap!!! 58 people reading this thread right now....

I predict this one ain't over by a long shot! More to come too...

Holy Crap!!! 58 people reading this thread right now....

I predict this one ain't over by a long shot! More to come too...

that's what happens when threads are mentioned on the FP

From Tim:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I find it fascinating how much time and words can be absorbed by hearsay and speculation. Furthermore, I think it is reckless for some of your forum participants to draw conclusions and offer their suggestions on punishment without knowing anything about a given situation. I certainly would not want to live in a society they were governing.

So let's clarify a few things. First of all, if we were found guilty of what we were accused of, sanctions would have been taken and those found guilty may have been banned from participating in events governed by the sailing organizations related to the jury.

However, we were not found guilty. There was no evidence and witnesses to the hearing showed that the accusations were wrong. A warning was given to let all involved know that the jury takes these matters seriously and if anyone is caught doing such things at a sailing event, they plan to take action. On a side note to anyone who plans to use a rule 69 accusation as a means for revenge: You stand a high chance of being sued for defamation of character in a real court. Take that statement very seriously.

About the accusers, they were four members of a J24 crew who violated class rules on a previous day by carrying two spinnakers and offering outside assistance to another J24 on the race course. These people were asked by us and another boat to "do the right thing" and withdraw from those races. They did not. We told them, as well as the crew they assisted (by giving them their second spinnaker between races) that we would not protest this but felt they should make the right decision themselves. The other boat which received the outside assistance; whom I have a high regard for; who is a great sailor and our toughest competition on the course, withdrew from the race. I'm looking forward to sailing with him or against him in the future.

So what does all this mean? Remember we are all sailors and most of you can attest to the fact that incidents considered to be "Gross Misconduct" take place many times at many regattas. I have certainly attended enough regattas in my time to have witnessed this first hand. In most cases these are not even malicious acts. Just sailors having fun in a "less than tasteful" manner. Be careful people, you ARE "Sailing Anarchists". Keep the sport fun. I've certainly enjoyed your (SA) parties and hope to see you at one of them again soon.

Best regards,

Tim Wilkes

Told ya so.....wink.gif

Good on ya Tim for doing the right thing. And congrads to Dan the whole crew and yourself on a great regatta. See ya at Dillon.

Clean,

Well done. I think this is the best post I've ever read from you and I take back most of the cynical things I've said about you. This is actually real journalism, providing not only the other side of a position, but allowing a person to state his position under his own name and thereby draining the intellectual sludge from this discussion.

Thanks,

Beau

From Tim:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I find it fascinating how much time and words can be absorbed by hearsay and speculation. Furthermore, I think it is reckless for some of your forum participants to draw conclusions and offer their suggestions on punishment without knowing anything about a given situation. I certainly would not want to live in a society they were governing.

So let's clarify a few things. First of all, if we were found guilty of what we were accused of, sanctions would have been taken and those found guilty may have been banned from participating in events governed by the sailing organizations related to the jury.

However, we were not found guilty. There was no evidence and witnesses to the hearing showed that the accusations were wrong. A warning was given to let all involved know that the jury takes these matters seriously and if anyone is caught doing such things at a sailing event, they plan to take action. On a side note to anyone who plans to use a rule 69 accusation as a means for revenge: You stand a high chance of being sued for defamation of character in a real court. Take that statement very seriously.

About the accusers, they were four members of a J24 crew who violated class rules on a previous day by carrying two spinnakers and offering outside assistance to another J24 on the race course. These people were asked by us and another boat to "do the right thing" and withdraw from those races. They did not. We told them, as well as the crew they assisted (by giving them their second spinnaker between races) that we would not protest this but felt they should make the right decision themselves. The other boat which received the outside assistance; whom I have a high regard for; who is a great sailor and our toughest competition on the course, withdrew from the race. I'm looking forward to sailing with him or against him in the future.

So what does all this mean? Remember we are all sailors and most of you can attest to the fact that incidents considered to be "Gross Misconduct" take place many times at many regattas. I have certainly attended enough regattas in my time to have witnessed this first hand. In most cases these are not even malicious acts. Just sailors having fun in a "less than tasteful" manner. Be careful people, you ARE "Sailing Anarchists". Keep the sport fun. I've certainly enjoyed your (SA) parties and hope to see you at one of them again soon.

Best regards,

Tim Wilkes

However, we were not found guilty. There was no evidence and witnesses to the hearing showed that the accusations were wrong. A warning was given to let all involved know that the jury takes these matters seriously and if anyone is caught doing such things at a sailing event, they plan to take action.

So, did you pee on the boat or not?

Is that a real rule, you can't have a second kite on board? Seems kind of dumb to not allow a 1 back up for the sail that is most easily torn. Don't say it's for cost containment because each boat probably has a second one in their trailer box.

I love how people who are accused of things never come out and publicly state that they did not do commit the act. They always say we were found not guilty............which now days really means there was not enough evidence to convict, it does not mean they did not commit the act.

don't pee on my boat.

pee_j24.gif

The only thing that I find really amusing about this thread is the position (I think I've read it right) that some have taken on the alleged incident.

That position being:

"It's no big deal. If someone pissed on my boat, I'd laugh."

Or something to that effect. I know I'm paraphrasing and if I am off, just say so.

So, back to my read.

I once had a discussion with someone who was trying to make a point about not keeping their commitments. They consistently didn't deliver on work they were assigned, or commitments they kept. Frequently, almost consistently, when the work item was due, I'd hear, "sorry. didn't/couldn't do it. Someone else will have to finish it."

When confronted with this behavior, I was getting nowhere with, "can't you keep your word? keep the commitments you make? people are depending on you. they keep their word to you. can't you return the courtesy?"

So I tried a different tack. I tried a little hypothetical.

"So, if you were planning a motorcycle trip and had your bike in the shop, and they promised to have it done before your trip, and they didn't communicate with you that they were late or couldn't do the work on time, and when you went to pick it up, they basically blew their promise to you off. Your bike isn't done. You can't take it on your trip. You were counting on it. They basically just said 'too bad'. Are you telling me you'd be OK with them not delivering on their promise, OK with them not keeping their word, and OK with how that turned out?"

"Yup," he replied. "Wouldn't bother me a bit."

I told him I didn't believe him. I thought him a liar of convenience.

So, when I read the posts here who treat pissing/even shitting on someone else's boat as no big deal, I really wonder, honestly wonder, how well they would actually take someone *else* pissing (even shitting) all over *their* boat without their consent.

I'm all for not blowing things out of proportion, and there *are* worse offenses but, I really don't believe that it would be as small a deal as some have described.

Not that I expect any, most, or even all of you to care what I think.

The only thing that I find really amusing about this thread is the position (I think I've read it right) that some have taken on the alleged incident.

That position being:

"It's no big deal. If someone pissed on my boat, I'd laugh."

I personally don't find it a big deal, but understand folks that are slightly less tolerant of shenanigans. To me that's not the issue. Personally I believe that Rule 69 should never be invoked for off-the-water bullshit - there is no fucking reason in the world that a protest committee should be in the business of regulating behavior. They should stay the fuck away from kids getting caught with booze, bar fights, and vandalism: That's what the goddamned police and courts are for. If misconduct off the water is truly something that should be punished, call the authorities or at least report them to the host club, which can evaluate the evidence and boot people from their premises if warranted. If the abused party is too much of a pussy to report the illegal acts to the cops, they should STFU - in my opinion.

Is that a real rule, you can't have a second kite on board? Seems kind of dumb to not allow a 1 back up for the sail that is most easily torn. Don't say it's for cost containment because each boat probably has a second one in their trailer box.

I love how people who are accused of things never come out and publicly state that they did not do commit the act. They always say we were found not guilty............which now days really means there was not enough evidence to convict, it does not mean they did not commit the act.

After hearing from Tim, I am convinced either he or one of his pals pissed on the boat I am also in the camp that wouldn't be very happy if someone pissed on my boat,and the spinaker stuff on the course he brings up is thrown in for deflection.

And Mr Clean, be real. If you came back to your boat one night and your wife stepped on a soft turd in the cockpit with her bare feet, I doubt you would find it funny. Unless you normally have more than one turd in your cockpit.

They should stay the fuck away from kids sailors/reporters getting caught with booze, bar fights, and vandalism: That's what the goddamned police and courts are for.

weed too right? :lol:

After hearing from Tim, I am convinced either he or one of his pals pissed on the boat I am also in the camp that wouldn't be very happy if someone pissed on my boat,and the spinaker stuff on the course he brings up is thrown in for deflection.

And Mr Clean, be real. If you came back to your boat one night and your wife stepped on a soft turd in the cockpit with her bare feet, I doubt you would find it funny. Unless you normally have more than one turd in your cockpit.

I have a fairly disgusting sense of humor, Moondance. And while I understand those that would find it offensive, I find pranks that don't damage anything or require extensive work to fix to be generally a good show.

@ zipped: of course!

Yes Dawg that's a real rule. 1 kite on the boat for racing. I think you only allowed one of everything. 1 jib, 1 genoa 1 main 1 kite.

This is true for most other OD classes as well. I think there is something in there that allows you to switch at some point, with the consent of the rest of the fleet, if the damage is catastrophic. Usually this will happen between race days, or the guy physically has to go in and get it from the dock Box, thus rendering the next race moot. Also Stops people from the same club giving the guy an advantage if winning etc etc etc....

I have a fairly disgusting sense of humor, Moondance. And while I understand those that would find it offensive, I find pranks that don't damage anything or require extensive work to fix to be generally a good show.

@ zipped: of course!

So some drunk pisses all over your mainsheet at the dock. You sail the next day, and occasionally put the mainsheet or you trimming hand in your mouth. After the days racing, the drunk comes up to you and says "dude, I think I wee'd on your mainsheet last night as a prank, let me hose it off for you".

That would be cool right? just a big funny.

Yes Dawg that's a real rule. 1 kite on the boat for racing. I think you only allowed one of everything. 1 jib, 1 genoa 1 main 1 kite.

This is true for most other OD classes as well. I think there is something in there that allows you to switch at some point, with the consent of the rest of the fleet, if the damage is catastrophic. Usually this will happen between race days, or the guy physically has to go in and get it from the dock Box, thus rendering the next race moot. Also Stops people from the same club giving the guy an advantage if winning etc etc etc....

I gotta say that does not make sense from a J 24 POV. I can understand on a modern sprite boat where the kite is usually sheeted tighter because of the higher angles they sail. A j 24 sails much deeper and kites are out a bit further, add tight roundings with floaters and ringy dingies and I bet there are more tears in the J24 fleet than the M24 fleet?? (anyone know)

If I sailed a J24 I would push to change that rule.

Come on Dawg, didn't you see WIND!!!. No rules for the final, That is exactly how they got to use the Womper...........laugh.gif I just know it is like that in the s20 fleet. 99.99 % of the time everyone would agree that it was OK, but then again I have seen protests for floorboards at the nat level. We have switched mains because of the big wind thing, (in the morning not after the day started) but so did everyone else in the fleet. wink.gif