• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA Lurker

Cockpit Mesh Sheet Bags

We like the M32 black mesh bags with winch handle holders on the Melges 32 (don't know who makes 'em and the melges.com site doesn't list them for sale).

Suggestions for others?

We've used the Blue Performance bads for over two season now and they hold up very well. And keep our beers upright as well as keeping the lines organized.

LINKY

Z

We've used the Blue Performance bads for over two season now and they hold up very well. And keep our beers upright as well as keeping the lines organized.

LINKY

Z

I have been using Blue Performance as well. Like their design, and the fabric is reasonably decent. But the stiching is pretty poor... needs to be heavier weight since I have had any number of seams pulled. And the top nylon loops that hold the bag onto the clips pulls free... needs to be reinforced.

I actually was having a conversation with Katie, from the Custom Marine Canvas link above, about deck bags the other day when she stiched up one of my Blue Performance bags. She reckons you can get the same performance with better longevity and lower weight. When I finally wear mine out, I will give her a shot to see what she can come up with.

The lads on Cutlass had Goertz make them up bags. At least I think it was Goertz. They were really good bags.

LINKY

Z

After one year in Charleston sun my Blue performance sheetbags/winch handle holders turned to crap they're falling apart, very dis-satisifed.

I don't think you should have to dismount then and store below to keep out of the sun!

LINKY

Z

I have been using Blue Performance as well. Like their design, and the fabric is reasonably decent. But the stiching is pretty poor... needs to be heavier weight since I have had any number of seams pulled. And the top nylon loops that hold the bag onto the clips pulls free... needs to be reinforced.

I actually was having a conversation with Katie, from the Custom Marine Canvas link above, about deck bags the other day when she stiched up one of my Blue Performance bags. She reckons you can get the same performance with better longevity and lower weight. When I finally wear mine out, I will give her a shot to see what she can come up with.

The lads on Cutlass had Goertz make them up bags. At least I think it was Goertz. They were really good bags.

We got 7 years out of our last set of CMC bags, just replaced them this January.

LINKY

Z

+1 on problems with Blue Performance. This weekend I was trying to reattach the elastic loops and restitch the leather pieces that hold them to the bag. Nice idea, not very well executed.

Perhaps not exactaly what you're looking for but the bags that come standard on the J/122 are super nice

Port_inhauler_clutch_setup.jpg

*Pic stolen from the Otra Vez team site

Home made bags make the most sense to me. Vinyl mesh is easily found, the stitching is trivial, and you can have 4 instead of 1 so the crew has a spot for their own stash.

Regards

aa

We like the M32 black mesh bags with winch handle holders on the Melges 32 (don't know who makes 'em and the melges.com site doesn't list them for sale).

Suggestions for others?

Call Henry at Layline on Monday he can get you square with a couple of different options.

After less than 1 year my Blue performance sheet bags turned to shit, tears in lining, badly frayed elastic, failed elastic on front pocket,torn out top loop as seen in photos. I even put some sail repair sticky back on line, but it failed next to it.

post-442-127627936143_thumb.jpg post-442-127627939084_thumb.jpg post-442-127627934622_thumb.jpg

Fitting out a JOD 35 for last year's OSTAR, we used Gaastra Bags, two in the cockpit at the companionway entrance and two on the coach roof aft port and stbd. Sticky back velcro attachment. Two in the cockpit worked perfectly for two transatlantics. Two on the coachroof are sleeping with north atlantic cod having been ripped away during the race. Bad plan. Replaced in Newport with a pair of bags bought from the local West shop and screwed into place. All good for return voyage, now ready for Round Ireland double-handed in eight days.

Depending on where you are, Phyllis with Acadia Sails in Southwest Harbor made ours, plus lots of other custom canvas work. Beautiful work at a fair price.

Suggestions for others?

North Sails in Annapolis has a canvas department that will make them custom for you. You pick size, color, how much canvas to mesh you want, etc. Well worth the cost. They do not have beer holders, but the beer is supposed to be in your hand, not the sheet bags.