Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stephanie May

2010 U S Mutlhull Championship Coverage

Greetings from sunny, hot & humid Galveston Bay. Next week (May 23 - 27) we'll be home to the 2010 U. S. Multihull Championship - better known as the Alter Cup. I've been drafted as "official" photographer for this year's event and look forward to getting some great shots from my post on the Safety Boat. Of course, I'll post on SA as well, but there's just one problem...Houston Yacht Club is situated smack dab in the middle of a cell phone black hole. Coverage varies from spotty to non-existent regardless of provider. :angry:

Rather than leave you guys wondering WTF all day, my partner and I are working out a "relay" network, so we can get updates online as quickly as possible. Photos will likely post at the end of the day, but we'll "twat" or what the hell ever we have to in order to get timely updates to the masses. We may pale in comparison to the Tybee coverage, but we will get the word out.

FYI - conditions look to be sunny, low 90's with wind from all over the compass @ everything from zero to 20 kts. Welcome to Texas. Have nice day ;)

If there's anything you think you would like to try, just ask. Can help you figure out how to do cheap livecasts, and so on. Call me to discuss, and thanks for the hard work in advance. Will be watching!

If there's anything you think you would like to try, just ask. Can help you figure out how to do cheap livecasts, and so on. Call me to discuss, and thanks for the hard work in advance. Will be watching!

Thanks, Clean - we'll be practicing this Sunday along with the 20 teams. I'll be trying lots of different combinations to see just what's going to work. I'll be in touch...

Thanks, Clean - we'll be practicing this Sunday along with the 20 teams. I'll be trying lots of different combinations to see just what's going to work. I'll be in touch...

No probs doll. We've tried it all and are happy to help.

248 563 0657

Official website for the event: http://championships.ussailing.org/Adult/USMHChampionship.htm

Check out the competitor's list! Yikes! Hard to pick a clear favorite in that list!

On the C2, JC hands down. He's racked up some serious hours on that boat in the past week.

JC for sure, Mike and Tripp have also been putting a hurt on the fleet for the past few seasons. Watch out for Taylor and Matt as well (both kids under 18)!

Have fun, let us know who is sailing what boats as well.

Have fun, let us know who is sailing what boats as well.

They're all sailing Capricorn C2's :D

That was easy.

We plan on doing an interview of the PRO on Sunday as a practice run - he'll explain the format, etc - it's actually pretty cool. Not your typical cat fight 'cause all the boats are out-of-the box identical.

YasminePathe:

I appreciate your efforts and all the thought that has already gone into this. Now I have a place to send interested friends to. Are you posting to the USSailing site or another?

Later,

Dan DeLave

YasminePathe:

I appreciate your efforts and all the thought that has already gone into this. Now I have a place to send interested friends to. Are you posting to the USSailing site or another?

Later,

Dan DeLave

Dan, I am not certain what all will be involoved. My "official photographer" title is for US Sailing. I've volunteered to update SA and I'll be coordinating with Mr Clean - I'm taking Thursday off to get my ducks in a row & we'll be doing a dry run on Sunday. So you can definitely direct friends/family to Sailing Anarchy for pix & updates.

In addition, I will check to see who/when results will be posted to US Sailing's website and give you guys a definitive answer here.

At this point, weather is looking like typical Texas/Galveston Bay late spring...big wind on Sunday (puffs to 25kt) for practice then laying gradually thru Thursday with showers in the forecast the last two days. This PRO is well known for running a large number of races each day - he runs an awesome event. He was PRO when we hosted F18 North Amercians a few years ago.

I did not know that Billy Richnow was the PRO for this. He is very good! I also ran into him during the A-Cat Worlds down in Islamorada Florida. I went down there to video a couple of days of the event.

Good luck with ironing out the equipment.

Later,

Dan

Call me anytime to chat YP. Will be watching tomorrow, and will run something tomorrow night on the front page to get people in here. 248 563 0657.

Alter Cup - Practice Races 05/23/10

The Alter Cup Competition kicked off today with the practice races and many of the competitors got their first taste of sailing the new C2 F18's supplied by AHPC. The 20 teams split into two groups and managed to get on one of the 10 boats for about an hour and 15mins practice. The wind was averaging 13 knots and the water was lumpy – typical of Galveston Bay.

The first group paid the price of using the new slippery boats with 5 of the 10 teams capsizing when they hit gusts after rounding the windward pin post-45345-127470282579_thumb.jpg

The second group fared much better though and spirits seemed high at the skippers meeting. The slippiness of the new boats and the length of the sheets seemed to be the main moans around the room. The boats will be washed tomorrow morning with a cleanser that should make the boats just a little less slippy.

The local Texas team is led by John Tomko, who has competed in the Alter Cup several times . Just three weeks ago whilst practicing in Galveston for the competition, disaster struck when his crew at the time (Ian Billings) broke his foot getting caught in the foot strap of their Wild Cat. Thankfully John managed to recruit Jonathan and although they have never sailed together before this weekend they looked good out on the water today. Ian was along to support the team and posed for a picture. post-45345-127470284798_thumb.jpg

After the skippers meeting the two fleets for tomorrow's first races were decided, by pulling slips of paper out of a cup. The B fleet will be racing first and the first 5 from both fleets will make the actual A Fleet. From then on it's the top 7 in A staying up and the top 3 from B moving up to A. With such a tight competition though, any error and relegation to the B Fleet could mean kissing the title goodbye.

So lets see how they do tomorrow, we all have our favorites. Let the racing begin!

Dude! Your VM was full & you didnt answer the phone last time I called :P Promise to try again today - it was shithouse mouse yesterday.

Meadia blackout?! May as well be - cell phone svc still sucks @ HYC + RC was on the water until nearly 5 pm yesterday. I also seem to be having Clean's luck with regatta software/hardware - my photo capture software went haywire last night. I'm uploading a few here & will send some more later today.

First race is at 10:30 CDT today. Goal is to have races last approx 30 mins +/- The round robin format requires all boats to the beach between races and there are two fleets competing. U S Sailing would like 10 races for each fleet...that's 20 in 4 days. Yikes...

Sunday's practice course was a one mile windward/leeward. The 13 kt windspeed yielded 7.5 minute legs for the fastest boats during their practice races. The course will not change during the week...only the length and that will be relative to windspeed.

RC will be on the water 6 or more hours each day, so I'll only be able to call in info. We'll relay the best we can. US Sailing will have the best data as their onsite rep has to keep up with who races next. He promiised to be relaying realtime info to the U S Sailing site... My pix will be uploaded no earlier than 4 pm local time unless something unforeseen happens.

Gotta run - will be in touch.

Marlies voluteered to post some pix & reports. She will be on the beach the rest of the week helping out so expect to see some stuff from her

Call me anytime to chat YP. Will be watching tomorrow, and will run something tomorrow night on the front page to get people in here. 248 563 0657.

In the world of high performance racing those teams taking home hardware week after week can count the industry innovators among their members (examples here). That edge gained by having the designer in their corner shows on the race course. The machines can keep no secrets, withhold no promised performance edge…their maker tells all. Its the ultimate advantage. With Greg Goodall onsite, this years Alter Cup competitors all share that advantage.

Youd expect the company providing the one-design boats for an event to send a top notch support team. Australian High Performance Catamarans went one better - they sent Greg Goodall, the designer of the F-18 C2, as well.

Before Sundays official practice session, Greg moved among the newly assembled boats tweaking parts while answering an endless stream of questions. He had time for everyone and everything.

Robbie Daniel and Jill Nickerson of Fun in the Sun, AHPC's US importers, are on site as well, working hard and yet finding time to be available to everyone to answer questions.

Monday is the start of official racing.

Article by Stephanie May / Yasmime Pathe

post-27-127470885817_thumb.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks the C2 hullshape looks like a pregnant baleuga(sp) whale?

You are thinking of the Infusion... LOL

Alter Cup - Practice Races 05/23/10

The Alter Cup Competition kicked off today with the practice races and many of the competitors got their first taste of sailing the new C2 F18's supplied by AHPC. The 20 teams split into two groups and managed to get on one of the 10 boats for about an hour and 15mins practice. The wind was averaging 13 knots and the water was lumpy – typical of Galveston Bay.

The first group paid the price of using the new slippery boats with 5 of the 10 teams capsizing when they hit gusts after rounding the windward pin post-45345-127470282579_thumb.jpg

The second group fared much better though and spirits seemed high at the skippers meeting. The slippiness of the new boats and the length of the sheets seemed to be the main moans around the room. The boats will be washed tomorrow morning with a cleanser that should make the boats just a little less slippy.

The local Texas team is led by John Tomko, who has competed in the Alter Cup several times . Just three weeks ago whilst practicing in Galveston for the competition, disaster struck when his crew at the time (Ian Billings) broke his foot getting caught in the foot strap of their Wild Cat. Thankfully John managed to recruit Jonathan and although they have never sailed together before this weekend they looked good out on the water today. Ian was along to support the team and posed for a picture. post-45345-127470284798_thumb.jpg

After the skippers meeting the two fleets for tomorrow's first races were decided, by pulling slips of paper out of a cup. The B fleet will be racing first and the first 5 from both fleets will make the actual A Fleet. From then on it's the top 7 in A staying up and the top 3 from B moving up to A. With such a tight competition though, any error and relegation to the B Fleet could mean kissing the title goodbye.

So lets see how they do tomorrow, we all have our favorites. Let the racing begin!

Great job Marlies! Thanks for the update girlfriend :)

Yasmine just rang me up and said she's about to get on the water. Updates to come!

Breeze is at 12 knots or so, US Sailing rules are for some seriously short races. PRO Billy Richnow. Bob Webbon is on the RC as well. Apparently Gordon, who originated the Alter Cup, is on RC too. This ain't no monohull committee.

It's also "beach justice" down there - you got a beef, you deal with it right after your heat, on the beach.

Race 1 'B' Fleet 05/24/10

As you know, this isn't the actual B fleet at the moment. It is a randomly picked out group. The first 5 teams qualify for the A fleet.

Actual Start Time: 10.35

Conditions – Blowing about 14 Knots from 150 deg, lumpy

First to Windward Mark – Maybe Jason – not known, the wind was shifting and the committee were concerned with re-setting the course. Fast downwind leg.

Roundings at the bottom: Jason, Reiss, DeLave

Windward Mark: Reiss, Jason, Thomas

Finish time: 11

Finishing order:

Position Skipper Name Notes

1 Jason

2 Reiss

3 Thomas

4 Newberry Main came unhooked but got sorted before race start

5 DeLave

6 Palmer

7 Stiemsma

8 Tartaglino

9 Newsome

10 Flanigan Went for a swim on the way to the start line. Lost their spinnaker twice when the jam cleat let go (boat 4). Not planning to protest.

Protests – Tartaglino want re-dress for a bungee breaking that was holding the tack line. Decisions will be published later.

The weights of the teams have been published (barring Shafer and Pitt - not underweight). Heaviest teams: 389lbs Ingram/Herendeen and Marshack/Marshack, lightest team 280lbs Palmer/Agnese carrying 11+28.

Great effort by Taylor Reiss (15) and crew Mathew (17) coming in second place. See picture of Taylor, Mathew and boat designer Gregg Goodall. post-45345-127471860104_thumb.jpg

Just got a call from Jacques:

Greg and Jacques fouled Ollie, there was contact so they had to do a 360. Jacques, "The youth team was quick!"

13 puffing to 20 and warm and choppy. Sounds like fun. A fleet on the water right now.

Race 1 'A' Fleet 05/24/10

The first 5 teams stay in the A fleet. The bottom 5 teams will go into the B fleet and go back out onto the water.

Actual Start Time: 11.55

Conditions – Blowing between 11 and 14 Knots, lumpy

Windward Mark – Easton, Schafer, Melvin, Glaser, Casey, Tomko, Marshack, Ingram, Hoog, Gillespie

Roundings at the bottom: Easton, Melvin, Schafer, Glaser, Tomko, Casey, Marshack, Ingram, Gillespie, Hoog

Windward Mark: Easton, Melvin, Schafer, Tomko, Glaser, Casey, Ingram, Marshack, Gillespie, Hoog

Sailor in the water at the top turned out to be the defending champion John Casey. Unfortunately that made them slip from 6th to 9th place. As he says though –'the day's not over yet!'

Finish time: Approx 12.25

Finishing order:

1 Easton

2 Melvin

3 Schafer

4 Tomko

5 Glaser

6 Marshack

7 Ingram

8 Gillespie

9 Casey

10 Hoog

Protests – Gillespie seeking re-dress – updates to follow.

Other:

Tartaglino will not get re-dress for a bungee breaking that was holding the tack line. A picture of the judges deliberating.post-45345-127472359037_thumb.jpg

Easton team looked very strong out front – see picture of Mike Easton and crew Tripp Burd post-45345-127472360284_thumb.jpg

Jacques:

JW JC got flushed (as stated above). New boats (of any ilk) are slippery as hell, and skippers are having a hard time holding on. Replacing Ronstan Halyard cleats with Harken due to spin cleats letting go.

Race 1 'A' Fleet 05/24/10

The first 5 teams stay in the A fleet. The bottom 5 teams will go into the B fleet and go back out onto the water.

Actual Start Time: 11.55

Conditions – Blowing between 11 and 14 Knots, lumpy

Windward Mark – Easton, Schafer, Melvin, Glaser, Casey, Tomko, Marshack, Ingram, Hoog, Gillespie

Roundings at the bottom: Easton, Melvin, Schafer, Glaser, Tomko, Casey, Marshack, Ingram, Gillespie, Hoog

Windward Mark: Easton, Melvin, Schafer, Tomko, Glaser, Casey, Ingram, Marshack, Gillespie, Hoog

Sailor in the water at the top turned out to be the defending champion John Casey. Unfortunately that made them slip from 6th to 9th place. As he says though –'the day's not over yet!'

Finish time: Approx 12.25

Finishing order:

1 Easton

2 Melvin

3 Schafer

Anything interesting with Pete moving to 2nd place on 2nd leg?

Race 2 'B' Fleet 05/24/10

Fighting for the top 3 places to go into fleet A! First place 11pts, last place 20pts for the B fleet. Points table to be published later. Hoping to complete 3 races of A and B fleet today.

Actual Start Time: 13.10

Conditions – Blowing about 15 Knots, lumpy

Windward Mark – Gillespie, Casey, Newsome, Tartaglino, Palmer, Hoog, Flanigan, Steimsma, Marshack (OCS but came back), Ingram (OCS but came back)

Roundings at the bottom: Casey, Newsome, Gillespie, Tartaglino, Palmer, Flanigan, Ingram, Marshack, Steimsma, Hoog

Windward Mark: Casey, Gillespie, Newsome, Tartaglino, Palmer, Flanigan, Marshack, Ingram, Steimsma, Hoog

Capsize on the last leg – Palmer on boat 1.

Finish time: Approx 13.50

Finishing order:

1 Casey

2 Gillespie

3 Newsome

4 Tartaglino

5 Ingram

6 Marshack

7 Flanigan

8 Steimsma

9 Hoog

10 Palmer

Protests - None

Other:

Gillespie will not get re-dress for last race.

A cheesy smile from JC - they qualify for the A fleet this time. post-45345-127472816331_thumb.jpg

The Gillespie team also qualify, despite the crew still limping from being bashed against the boat in the previous race. She explains that the adrenalin is helping with the pain management! Newsome team qualifies in third position. They will now have a break for two heats, until the last A fleet race.

Small correction for your photo. That DEFINITELY is not JC. That is JW. I know I know, hard to tell them apart, with both having dazzling haidoo's.

Race 2 'A' Fleet 05/24/10

Of course all of the competitors want to be at the top of this group, most importantly they need to stay out of those last three places, which would relegate them to the B fleet. First place 1pt, last place 10pts for the A fleet. Slight delay at the beach with the spinnaker cleats being changed on every boat. On about a third of the boats the blocks were flexing a little and allowing the lines to pop out. Greg (apologies for the previous misspelling of his name) thinks it may be something to do with the plastic material, but he had an alternative that could be swapped in on every boat.

Actual Start Time: 14:45

Conditions – Blowing about 10 Knots, less whitecaps than earlier

Windward Mark: Shafer, Glaser, Thomas, Melvin, Reiss, Easton, Jason, Tomko, DeLave, Newberry

Roundings at the bottom: Shafer, Thomas, Melvin, Glaser, Reiss, Easton, Tomko, Jason, DeLave, Newberry

Windward Mark: Shafer, Melvin, Glaser, Reiss, Thomas, Easton, Tomko, Jason, De Lave, Newberry

Finish time: Approx 15:10

Finishing order:

1 Shafer 28minute race for the lead boat – impressive considering the wind has laid down some.

2 Melvin

3 Glaser

4 Thomas

5 Reiss An impressive result from the youth team – it was a close call for 4th position

6 Easton

7 Tomko

8 Jason

9 DeLave

10 Newberry

Protests - None

Other:

John Tomko and Jonathan managed to avoid relegation by swapping 8th for 7th place after the first leg – Good news for the local Texan supporters!

With no protests for the last few races, the judges are able to kick-back and relax! So far no re-dress has been given for anything.post-45345-127473377632_thumb.jpg

Marlies, if you and Andrew and Yasmine want to coordinate a short piece for the front page explaining what's going on and providing links to this page and whatever else is pertinent, we'll surely run it tonight. Tell JC to get his ass to a computer and write his own competitor report and we'll include that too. Wish I was there, actually. Seems like a real blast.

Race 3 'B' Fleet 05/24/10

All teams scrabbling for the top 3 places and promotion to A fleet.

Start Time: 16:07

Conditions – Blowing between 7 and 11 Knots, only a few whitecaps now

Dan DeLave OCS but went back.

Windward Mark: Ingram, Jason, Marshack, Flanigan, Stiemsma, Hoog, Palmer, De Lave, Newberry, Tartaglino

Roundings at the bottom: Jason and Ingram with a big lead over the rest of the field (see photo of two blue spinnakered boats in the lead.post-45345-127473888225_thumb.jpg Third chasing boat is Marshack) Then Flanigan, Palmer, Stiemsma, Newberry, DeLave, Tartaglino, Hoog.

Windward Mark: Ingram, Jason, Marshack, Flanigan, Palmer, Stiemsma, DeLave, Newberry, Hoog, Tartaglino

Finish time: Approx 16:37

Finishing order:

1 Ingram

2 Jason

3 Palmer The other youth team qualify for A fleet!

4 Flanigan

5 Newberry

6 DeLave

7 Marshack

8 Tartaglino

9 Hoog

10 Steimsma

Protests – None.

Other:

What happened to Marshack? They hit the offset mark and had to do a 360 after the spin was up. Not so good for them, but that enabled the other youth team to progress to the A fleet – Taylor Palmer (17, shown on the left) and crew Mac (16) managed to overtake Flanigan during the last leg to squeak into third place. post-45345-127473889762_thumb.jpg

Race 3 'B' Fleet 05/24/10

All teams scrabbling for the top 3 places and promotion to A fleet.

Start Time: 16:07

Dan DeLave OCS but went back.

Windward Mark: Ingram, Jason, Marshack, Flanigan, Stiemsma, Hoog, Palmer, De Lave, Newberry, Tartaglino

Roundings at the bottom: Jason and Ingram with a big lead over the rest of the field (see photo of two blue spinnakered boats in the lead.photo 8.JPG Third chasing boat is Marshack) Then Flanigan, Palmer, Stiemsma, Newberry, DeLave, Tartaglino, Hoog.

Windward Mark: Ingram, Jason, Marshack, Flanigan, Palmer, Stiemsma, DeLave, Newberry, Hoog, Tartaglino

Finish time: Approx 16:37

Finishing order:

1 Ingram

2 Jason

3 Palmer The other youth team qualify for A fleet!

4 Flanigan

5 Newberry

6 DeLave

7 Marshack

8 Tartaglino

9 Hoog

10 Steimsma

Protests – None.

Other:

What happened to Marshack? They hit the offset mark and had to do a 360 after the spin was up. Not so good for them, but that enabled the other youth team to progress to the A fleet – Taylor Palmer (17, shown on the left) and crew Mac (16) managed to overtake Flanigan during the last leg to squeak into third place. photo 9.JPG

And little Mac Agnese there...well, he's a Melges 24 World Champion. I think he was 11 years old in '05 when he won.

Race 3 'A' Fleet 05/24/10

Last heat of the day and time to separate the men from the boys – or maybe not!

Start Time: 17:15

Windward Mark: Thomas, Easton, Shafer, Melvin, Casey, Reiss, Glaser, Newsome, Gillespie, Tomko

Roundings at the bottom: Thomas and Easton tied, Casey and Reiss tied, Melvin, Shafer, Glaser, Gillespie, Tomko, Newsome

Windward Mark: Easton, Casey, Thomas, Reiss, Melvin, Shafer, Glaser, Tomko, Gillespie, Newsome

Finish time: Approx 17.43

Finishing order:

1 Easton With a great lead

2 Casey

3 Melvin

4 Reiss

5 Thomas

6 Shafer

7 Tomko

8 Glaser

9 Gillespie

10 Newsome

Protests – None

Other:

Just on the end line Taylor lost Mathew off the boat. But the race committee judged that the boat had broken the plane! That was close for them! That means Glaser, Gillespie and Newsome are relegated to B fleet.

Day 1 points table to follow.

Finishing order:

1 Easton With a great lead

2 Casey

3 Melvin

4 Reiss

5 Thomas

6 Shafer

7 Tomko

8 Glaser

9 Gillespie

10 Newsome

It's funny to see just the skipper names. The crews are trimming all three sails and get no love. The skippers are just along for the ride on these boats.

In light wind the skipper is up front and some of us still do our own main. and the jib is self tacking. So the crew is really just a sheet monkey for the spin. so just down wind they are busy. and some down haul here and there up wind. The tiller nut is the most important thing.

Results from Alter Cup day 1!

Rank Name Pts

1 Pete Melvin, Nat Shaver 7

2 Michael Easton, Tripp Burd 8

3 Alex Shafer, Nigel Pitt 10

4 Taylor Reiss, Mathew Whitehead 11

5 Greg Thomas, Jacques Bernier 12

6 Pease Glaser, Jay Glaser 16

7 John Tomko, Jonathan Farar 18

8 Ollie Jason, Patrick Gilles 21

9 John Casey, John Williams 22

10 Sarah Newberry, Jamie Livingston 29

11 Bill Gillespie, Holly Hoffman 29

12 Dan DeLave, Eileen Haubl 30

13 Jeffrey Newsome, Michael Siau 32

14 David Ingram, Mark Herendeen 33

15 Ken Marshack, Eric Marshack 39

16 Taylor Palmer, Mac Agnese 39

17 Sandra Tartaglino, Trevor Burd 40

18 Daniel Flanigan, Eric Witte 41

19 Dave Stiemsma, Ben Thorsen 45

20 John Hoagr, Todd Christiansen 48

Sorry about the format! I'm having trouble working out how to get a table on here!

Final Report.doc

All of those guys are good, but really, focus on this:

All of you old guys better watch out!

Interview with the young punks! Let's hear em.

In light wind the skipper is up front and some of us still do our own main. and the jib is self tacking. So the crew is really just a sheet monkey for the spin. so just down wind they are busy. and some down haul here and there up wind. The tiller nut is the most important thing.

You are mistaken. The team is the most important thing not the skipper.

You are mistaken. The team is the most important thing not the skipper.

I'm pretty confident he was being facetious.

Yes I was and BTW my crew was right there when I wrote it.

I was responding to Hobie's comment of.

"It's funny to see just the skipper names. The crews are trimming all three sails and get no love. The skippers are just along for the ride on these boats."

First things first - a HUGE thank-you to Marlies for doing the race by race updates. Here she is testing one of our high tech wind indicators.

Competitors are shuffled around and sent back on the race course (or not) based on order of finish for their previous heat. The selection process is almost mystical - part mathematical; part divination as far as I can tell. Whatever the case, it's certainly more than I can deduce from my watery vantage point.

The wind was awesome starting out around 14 and laying to 10 by 5 pm. However it was likely the best wind of the week as it's forecast to lighten up a bit more each of the next two days and then do a 180 on Thursday (oh joy).

Most of the sailors are off to a double secret party thrown by our local A-cat boys. Discretion, valor and all that keeps me from tagging along to report on any shenanigans. Plus, Clean wants some sort of something for later on so Andrew and I are up late working...promise :)

post-8977-127476362215_thumb.jpg

More pics of marlies, please.

And thanks a ton to you girls for keeping us posted.

GO TAYLOR and MATT!!!!

Rank Name Pts

1 Pete Melvin, Nat Shaver 7

2 Michael Easton, Tripp Burd 8

3 Alex Shafer, Nigel Pitt 10

5 Greg Thomas, Jacques Bernier 12

6 Pease Glaser, Jay Glaser 16

7 John Tomko, Jonathan Farar 18

8 Ollie Jason, Patrick Gilles 21

9 John Casey, John Williams 22

10 Sarah Newberry, Jamie Livingston 29

11 Bill Gillespie, Holly Hoffman 29

12 Dan DeLave, Eileen Haubl 30

13 Jeffrey Newsome, Michael Siau 32

14 David Ingram, Mark Herendeen 33

15 Ken Marshack, Eric Marshack 39

16 Taylor Palmer, Mac Agnese 39

17 Sandra Tartaglino, Trevor Burd 40

18 Daniel Flanigan, Eric Witte 41

19 Dave Stiemsma, Ben Thorsen 45

20 John Hoagr, Todd Christiansen 48

Sorry about the format! I'm having trouble working out how to get a table on here!

[/size][/font]

First, to pay for the event, organizers need 20 teams. The manufacturers can't make 20 new boats make sense ($300,000 worth of boats!) but 10 does (with an extra spare). We need to rotate teams to make the event make sense.

Some basics on the rotation system; it's called the promotion / relegation system and was adopted by the multihull championship from model yacht racing in 2005. Basically (as you have seen), you have 10 boats and 20 teams. You race in two heats, A & B. The first round is randomly assigned, raced, and each fleet is scored 1 through 10 points. The top five from each fleet then make up A and the bottom five from each make up fleet B. Fleet B races then Fleet A races. At this point and forward, fleet A is scored 1 through 10 and fleet B is scored 11 through 20 points. The top three from that B fleet get promoted to A fleet and the bottom three from A get relegated to B for the next round. This top three / bottom three is continued for the duration of the event. Note that B fleet sails first so that the last race of the event decides the winner. We used to sail A fleet first but the last B fleet race was kind of anti-climatic.

This system overcomes a problem with the matrix and some other rotation systems where the best sailors aren't always sailing against each other. In the matrix system, it's possible that the winner and the runner up never met on the water. This system is pure and puts the best against the best constantly.

The other twist is boat assignments. the sailors usually form an illogical consensus about which boat is a "fast boat" and which is a "dog" even though, statistically, the boats have proven to be exceptionally even. However, in an overly nerdy effort to keep things as fair as possible (and to be able to prove that the boats are very even), the rotation system is managed to try and put every team on a different boat every round for as long as possible. We have some software that manages the boat assignments and team rotations and we've made it consistently to the 8th and 9th round before teams start to repeat on a boat they've sailed previously in the event. As you can imagine, with sailors moving between fleets, keeping them from repeating on a boat is a job suited better for a computer.

What Jake fails to mention above is that he wrote the software and ran the Championship for a while. Take some credit, buddy.

First, to pay for the event, organizers need 20 teams. The manufacturers can't make 20 new boats make sense ($300,000 worth of boats!) but 10 does (with an extra spare). We need to rotate teams to make the event make sense.

Some basics on the rotation system; it's called the promotion / relegation system and was adopted by the multihull championship from model yacht racing in 2005. Basically (as you have seen), you have 10 boats and 20 teams. You race in two heats, A & B. The first round is randomly assigned, raced, and each fleet is scored 1 through 10 points. The top five from each fleet then make up A and the bottom five from each make up fleet B. Fleet B races then Fleet A races. At this point and forward, fleet A is scored 1 through 10 and fleet B is scored 11 through 20 points. The top three from that B fleet get promoted to A fleet and the bottom three from A get relegated to B for the next round. This top three / bottom three is continued for the duration of the event. Note that B fleet sails first so that the last race of the event decides the winner. We used to sail A fleet first but the last B fleet race was kind of anti-climatic.

This system overcomes a problem with the matrix and some other rotation systems where the best sailors aren't always sailing against each other. In the matrix system, it's possible that the winner and the runner up never met on the water. This system is pure and puts the best against the best constantly.

The other twist is boat assignments. the sailors usually form an illogical consensus about which boat is a "fast boat" and which is a "dog" even though, statistically, the boats have proven to be exceptionally even. However, in an overly nerdy effort to keep things as fair as possible (and to be able to prove that the boats are very even), the rotation system is managed to try and put every team on a different boat every round for as long as possible. We have some software that manages the boat assignments and team rotations and we've made it consistently to the 8th and 9th round before teams start to repeat on a boat they've sailed previously in the event. As you can imagine, with sailors moving between fleets, keeping them from repeating on a boat is a job suited better for a computer.

Jake - this is far & away the best damn explanation for how the scoring system works. If I'd known the creator was in our midst, I'd certainly have asked you for clarification. Thanks. If you don't mind, I'm passing a copy of this around :)

Today dawned hot and without breeze. The early low overcast is a sure sign we're in for light air & steamy conditions. Oh joy. I'm sure I have whiplash from bouncing around in the rib all day and my farking ears feel like toast points. Before I slather on another layer of SPF Albino and head for the regatta, I'll leave you with a moment of sailing zen...

post-8977-127479437543_thumb.jpg

Thanks Yasmine / John...but I didn't create the rotation system...I did write some software to help but regretfully didn't have time this year to make it completely flexible to prevent the user from backing into blind corners! I hope Kevin can work through it - I'm still planning some improvements. John Williams was the one that first brought it to the AC in 2005 as Chairman. This is my first year not being involved with the event (either as organizational help or a competitor) since 2005 and I miss it.

With an event like this, the requests for redress and protests can really slow things down. Redress can be largely affected by the equipment supplied and it looks like both AHPC and the protest committee have a great handle on it so far!

Yasmine see if you can get your ISO lower so you lose the graininess on all your pics.

Boats going out for the 2nd race of the dia, 1st A fleet race.

Dan Delave took the bullet for the 1st B fleet race. Good on him and Eileen.

Breeze has been pretty steady all morning, at about 7 knots I think.

Race 4 'B' Fleet 05/25/10

First heat of the day and it's the B fleet competitors heading out, hoping to get in one of the top 3 positions. The B fleet heat is held before the A fleet heat of each race so that the last heat on Thursday will be the A fleet. The PRO (Billy Richnow) is hoping to run 10 races (20 heats) over the 4 days, with 6 heats again today.

Start Time: 11:03

Conditions – Average of 7 Knots (mark set at 130̊ initially), light chop.

On the beach: The main on boat 8 wouldn't catch – Robbie Daniels from Red Gear Racing (shown pulling up the main) fixed it and finally team Tartaglino managed to get on the water. post-45345-127480642138_thumb.jpg

Windward Mark: Didn't manage to get those positions apart from seeing that Dan DeLave had been leading from the start. Windward mark concerned with a big righty coming in at 150̊. A great advantage for those on the left side of the course going upwind.

Roundings at the bottom: DeLave, Glaser, Tartaglino, Newsome, Gillespie, Stiemsma, Flanigan, Newberry, Marshack, Hoog

Windward Mark: DeLave, Glaser, Newsome, Gillespie, Tartaglino, Marshack, Flanigan, Newberry, Stiemsma, Hoog

Finish time: Approx 11:28

Finishing order:

1 Dan DeLave

2 Newsome

3 Glaser

4 Tartaglino

5 Gillespie

6 Marshack

7 Flanigan

8 Newberry

9 Stiemsma

10 Hoog Flipped on boat 4 but drifted across the line

Protests – None

Other:

Wind readings coming from the committee boat only 7 or 8 Knots but it looked windier (about 12 knots) from the beach. Boats pretty quick downwind and most teams were double trapping.

Dan DeLave (with crew Eileen) seemed to be on a mission from the off today; first to get his boat number (number 1 incidentally), first at the beach and first across the line. He explained – I felt we had something to prove today! post-45345-127480643267_thumb.jpg

JC and tomko attempted the right side on the first beat but it didn't pay off too well. They both made some gains back on the downwind but it looks like Easton is leading back up the left. Greg and Jacques are leading up the right with Alex and Nigel behind them.

Looks like the left side boats are going farrrrrr, but I think it's because there is this really big barge in front of me and I can't see anything. Maybe I should climb to the top of the crane???

KB - the seabreeze typically fills in between 1 and 2 PM and usually goes right. The wind is forecast to be lighter than normal for this week - you can usually count on a solid 10-15+ by midafternoon for this time of year, maybe not so much this week.

Greg and Jacques took the right side of the 2nd beat and made crazy trees to round weather in 1st, and then Easton and Tripp came in from the left. Greg took OFF downwind and won the race with Easton behind him. JC had a beautiful header that I thought was going to prove well but there were so many boats fighting for the top 7 it was a a fight, for sure. But it looked good.

Race 4 'A' Fleet 05/25/10

So going into day 2 we have Melvin, Easton and Shafer at the top of the leader board - but it's really tight up there. Many people have commented on how stacked the competition is this year.

Start Time: 12:06

Conditions – Maybe 10 Knots, light chop.

Windward Mark: Easton, Thomas, Jason, Melvin, Reiss, Casey, Shafer, Tomko, Palmer, Ingram

Roundings at the bottom: Easton, Thomas, Melvin, Jason, Casey, Reiss, Shafer, Tomko, Palmer, Ingram

Windward Mark: Thomas, Easton, Shafer, Jason, Melvin, Casey, Reiss, Palmer, Tomko, Ingram

Finish time: Approx 12:36

Finishing order:

1 Thomas With an impressive lead

2 Easton

3 Shafer

4 Melvin

5 Jason

6 Casey

7 Reiss

8 Tomko

9 Palmer

10 Ingram

Protests – None

Other:

So the worst happens for the local Texas team (John Tomko and Jonathan). They have been hanging close to the relegation positions every race and unfortunately this time they get flushed to the B fleet along with the youth team (Taylor Palmer and Mac) and Ingram. They will have to get their boat assignments and get straight back out there for race 5, B fleet.

Ollie Jason and crew Patrick posed for a photo. They look the deal, but will they be able to finish in a higher position in the table today? They were in 8th at the end of yesterday. post-45345-127481038572_thumb.jpg

So going into day 2 we have Melvin, Easton and Shafer at the top of the leader board - but it's really tight up there. Many people have commented on how stacked the competition is this year.

Windward Mark: Easton, Thomas, Jason, Melvin, Reiss, Casey, Shafer, Tomko, Palmer, Ingram

Roundings at the bottom: Easton, Thomas, Melvin, Jason, Casey, Reiss, Shafer, Tomko, Palmer, Ingram

Windward Mark: Thomas, Easton, Shafer, Jason, Melvin, Casey, Reiss, Palmer, Tomko, Ingram

Finishing order:

2 Easton

3 Shafer

4 Melvin

5 Jason

6 Casey

7 Reiss

8 Tomko

9 Palmer

10 Ingram

Protests – None

Other:

So the worst happens for the local Texas team (John Tomko and Jonathan). They have been hanging close to the relegation positions every race and unfortunately this time they get flushed to the B fleet along with the youth team (Taylor Palmer and Mac) and Ingram. They will have to get their boat assignments and get straight back out there for race 5, B fleet.

Ollie Jason and crew Patrick posed for a photo. They look the deal, but will they be able to finish in a higher position in the table today? They were in 8th at the end of yesterday. post-45345-127481038572_thumb.jpg

Cool...and how do you link to the "kid rock" story on FP????

2nd b fleet race , marshak and tomko leading 4 boats up the right. There is one boat coming up the middle by itself , and the 5 boats on the left aren't looking too hawt right now, but it's pretty hard to tell from here.

Looks like the right side of the course just got launched.

2nd b fleet race , marshak and tomko leading 4 boats up the right. There is one boat coming up the middle by itself , and the 5 boats on the left aren't looking too hawt right now, but it's pretty hard to tell from here.

Looks like the right side of the course just got launched.

Noooooope, the leading right boats AND the leading left boats are killing it around the marks. And my bad, but Tomko was on the left and he cleared the mark 1st.

Finishing order:

2 Easton

3 Shafer

4 Melvin

5 Jason

6 Casey

7 Reiss

8 Tomko

9 Palmer

10 Ingram

Protests – None

Other:

Alex and Nigel made quite a comeback on that last loop.

Tomko killed it around the 2nd weather mark, with a major lead. But Taylor Palmer rounded 2nd, so let's hope that works out so we can get the kids back up in A fleet.

Sarah Newberry rounded the mark in THIRD and I really hope that sticks. Gotta get some girls back up in A fleet! Plus, Sara is awesome. We went to hibachi last night and she totally put me to shame by eating more than me. The guys kept saying it wasn't a competition, but we knew what was up.

Sounds like the finish was Tomko, Sarah, and Taylor Palmer. So, Tomko and Palmer move back up to A after getting flushed the last race, and Sarah gets to take her rightful place and represent hot sailor chicks everywhere. Good stuff

Argh, I got my bow numbers wrong. Sarah was FOURTH! But it's ok because the other female skipper Sandra was 2nd. Yay for chicks.

Race 5 'B' Fleet 05/25/10

Fighting for those top 3 spaces and promotion to the A fleet!

Start Time: 13:16

Conditions – Maybe 11 Knots (seems to be picking up), light chop.

Windward Mark: Tomko, Steimsma, Tartaglino, Flanigan, Marshack, Newberry, Palmer, Hoag, Gillespie

Roundings at the bottom: Tomko, Tartaglino, Marshack, Palmer, Newberry, Gillespie, Hoag, Flanigan, Steimsma

Windward Mark: Tomko, Tartaglino, Marshack, Hoag, Gillespie, Newberry, Flanigan, Palmer, Steimsma

Finish time: Approx 13:50

Finishing order:

1 Tomko

2 Tartaglino

3 Marshack

4 Newberry

5 Gillespie

6 Hoag

7 Palmer

8 Flanigan

9 Steimsma

10 Ingram DNF

Protests – None (The judges think this might be down to their good grimaces)

Other:

Ingram with boat number 2 had problems before the start losing the shackle from the main sheet block when the pin came loose. They used some of the Halyard core to fix it prior to the race but had to retire before the weather mark when it didn't hold. They will score 21 for that. But there should be a throw-out coming, eliminating each boats highest score. That will happen if we get to 5 races.

This is the best result from Hoag (sorry for the previous name misspelling!). The team, which hail from Seattle, say that they never get winds of more than 10 up there! But now they are getting used to it. 'It felt better' they said.

Looks like JC and another boat over on the right doing stellar things on the boats on the left. But here's the thing: every time, the boats on the right look great. Until the leading left boats come up and BAM. That just happened. It's either really hard to tell from our point of view, or there's something out there that I can't see.

Pete Melvin rounded in first, and he is owning the #1 spot on the downwind. JC and J Will and behind him by a few measurable boat lengths. And then Ollie is behind them, and they are all going right side downwind. I wish I were out on the water so I could see what it is they want over there.this is the FURTHEST right I have seen these boats on the downwind all regatta, and they're screaming.

Breeze picked up right before this race, too.

That was a really short leg.

EVERYONE wants the right gate and it got a little jammed up, it looks like. That would have been fun to hear.

Everyone is headed back left with Pete in the lead, on what looks like a good lift. JC is one of 2 boats over here on the right and it looks like he's on an awesome layline. Mike and Tripp are also over here on the right and they've tacked under the Johns. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE BRING ME A BOAT?? I can't see!!! Aaaaaaaccccckkkkkk.

Pete's over on the left making trees on Greg and Jacques. Looks like JC's lay might not work out, but it's still a little early to tell.

Could be a good crossing between Melvin from the left and JC from the right , and it looks like JC is ON THE LAYLINE afterall and this could very well be a match race around the top mark!

Pete's around the top, followed by JC and JWill, then Alex and Nigel. All of them are on the right side again, and I reeeeeeeaaaaaaally want to know what's out there.

I'm sitting on a chainsaw case on the back of a truck, and I'm in Texas. Can this be any more typical? We had mexican food for breakfast, our radio has been set to Mexican rap for 5 days, and it's been breezy since we got here. I'm not complaining, YA'LL.

Pete's around the top, followed by JC and JWill, then Alex and Nigel. All of them are on the right side again, and I reeeeeeeaaaaaaally want to know what's out there.

I'm sitting on a chainsaw case on the back of a truck, and I'm in Texas. Can this be any more typical? We had mexican food for breakfast, our radio has been set to Mexican rap for 5 days, and it's been breezy since we got here. I'm not complaining, YA'LL.

Good stuff, Katie.

Race 5 'A' Fleet 05/25/10

Second race of the day for the A fleet and the competition is really hotting up!

Start Time: 14:20

Conditions – Reading of 9-10 Knots, light chop.

Windward Mark: Melvin, Casey, Jason, Shafer, Easton, Thomas, Reiss, Glaser, Newsome, DeLave

Roundings at the bottom: Melvin, Shafer, Thomas, Casey, Jason, Reiss, Easton, Glaser, Newsome, DeLave

Windward Mark: Melvin, Casey, Shafer, Easton, Jason, Thomas, Glaser, Reiss, Newsome, DeLave

Finish time: Approx 14:50

Finishing order:

1 Melvin

2 Casey

3 Shafer

4 Jason

5 Easton

6 Reiss

7 Jason

8 Glaser

9 Newsome

10 DeLave

Protests – None

Other:

So the junior team Reiss manage to avoid going into the B fleet on the last leg. That means there are 5 teams that have managed to avoid relegation so far; Reiss, Melvin, Easton, Shafer and Thomas.

Another good race for John Casey and John Williams (apologies for confusing the two in previous posts).

Pete Melvin (shown below) is a boat designer as well as sailor. He designed the Morelli and Melvin Infusion built by Nacra. Pete usually sails with his son James but for this event he is sailing with Nat Shaver who works for him, Nat has previously designed a Moth!

post-45345-127481857505_thumb.jpg

Just found out the drama from the last race. Mathew Whitehead (crew of Taylor Reiss) pulled the spinnaker block out of the deck rounding the second windward mark, but he managed to hold onto the spin sheet until the end! Mathew said 'it hurt real bad! The boys managed a 6th postion in that A fleet race. Gritty performance - good job boys! The next race is slightly delayed whilst the boat is fixed...

Also, apologies for the error in my previous table - showing Jason twice. The results for 5A:

1 Melvin

2 Casey

3 Shafer

4 Thomas

5 Easton

6 Reiss

7 Jason

8 Glaser

9 Newsome

10 DeLave