Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cove

2011 Melges 24 Worlds

Well let just start talking about what everyone knows about CC Bay, what it will take to win on the bay. So here is a start you need great boat speed because it is not that shifty. The waves can be tough upwind. The hotels are reasonable and very close to the venue. The sailing area is very close to the marina. When you finish it is downhill to the marina. The water is warm and the people friendly. so chime in and see if we can get 80 boats to show up.

OK, let me be the first by recommending anyone seeking "local" knowledge seek "Cove". I think that refers to his domicile, Ingleside "Cove" on the bay. No one in the past 3 decades won more races in more boats on CC Bay than Cove. The dude's a freakin' genius and a day with him is worth a year of experience in this area. So, smart competitors will start seeking local knowledge by engaging Cove on board your M24.

Corpus is a really neat corner of the world. Sailing there will teach you everything you ever wanted to know about broaching.

I know that to many in the IMCA and USMCA, 80 boats would be a disappointment. There should be 100 plus boats at Worlds, considering the cost, the time of year, and the conditions, and the fact that the M24 West Coast scene is finally getting its act together. Assuming the Seattle boats are not too escared of the big wind and a half dozen of them make the drag down and the Midwest boats get off their asses, 100 should be do-able. Rumors around right now - solid ones - are the following boats are coming. With the whole "Road To Corpus" sailing series looking like it might be pretty special - and have a big league mainstream sponsor - things are looking very good for the US Melges Class for 2011. Some noise coming from Scandinavia that there may be a dozen containers coming in to Houston from Oslo/Gotebourg, and if the CCYC folks will help find a way to get the Houston-CCYC trip sorted at a discount, the class may be able to convince Heath and the boys from downunder to send a few over too. Final rumor is that top elements at BMW/Oracle Racing are thinking about it, especially if AC34 is a monohull skiff type situation. If Jimmy Spitty (2005 M24 World Champ/Luna Rossa) commits, and with Joe Fly the small-boat team for Azzurra, it wouldn't be long until we saw Luna Rossa, Mascalzone, even ETNZ possibly come in - most are M24 racers anyways. The best thing about Corpus is that the cost of competing is so low that the average racer can really, really afford to do this one. I am not joking when I say that a budget team can do the entire event, including 3 days of practice (so 10 days total) for 3 grand or so. The cheapest M24 worlds ever...

Add yourself or your team here:

-Pegasus 1 (Philippe)

-Pegasus 2 (Ullman)

-Pegasus 3

-WTF (Field)

-BrickHouse 1 (Kristen Lane)

-BrickHouse 2 (Peter Lane)

-Simplicity (Strauss)

-Blur (Kopf)

-Hoodlum (Hulsey)

-Layline (Weisleder)

-Uka Uka Racing (Santini/Bressani)

-Blu Moon (Rossini/Favini)

-Flying Elvis (Gulari)

-Cre843 (Siegler)

-PBR Street Gang (Hamilton)

-Full Throttle (Porter)

-Joe Fly (Maspero/Zandona)

I know that to many in the IMCA and USMCA, 80 boats would be a disappointment. There should be 100 plus boats at Worlds, considering the cost, the time of year, and the conditions, and the fact that the M24 West Coast scene is finally getting its act together. Assuming the Seattle boats are not too escared of the big wind and a half dozen of them make the drag down and the Midwest boats get off their asses, 100 should be do-able. Rumors around right now - solid ones - are the following boats are coming. With the whole "Road To Corpus" sailing series looking like it might be pretty special - and have a big league mainstream sponsor - things are looking very good for the US Melges Class for 2011. Some noise coming from Scandinavia that there may be a dozen containers coming in to Houston from Oslo/Gotebourg, and if the CCYC folks will help find a way to get the Houston-CCYC trip sorted at a discount, the class may be able to convince Heath and the boys from downunder to send a few over too. Final rumor is that top elements at BMW/Oracle Racing are thinking about it, especially if AC34 is a monohull skiff type situation. If Jimmy Spitty (2005 M24 World Champ/Luna Rossa) commits, and with Joe Fly the small-boat team for Azzurra, it wouldn't be long until we saw Luna Rossa, Mascalzone, even ETNZ possibly come in - most are M24 racers anyways. The best thing about Corpus is that the cost of competing is so low that the average racer can really, really afford to do this one. I am not joking when I say that a budget team can do the entire event, including 3 days of practice (so 10 days total) for 3 grand or so. The cheapest M24 worlds ever...

-Pegasus 1 (Philippe)

-Pegasus 2 (Ullman)

-Pegasus 3

-WTF (Field)

-Simplicity (Strauss)

-Blur (Kopf)

-Hoodlum (Hulsey)

-Layline (Weisleder)

-Flying Elvis (Gulari)

-Cre843 (Siegler)

-Full Throttle (Porter)

What about dirty girl????

Ok only 15 days for early registration for the 2011 Melges 24 Worlds. I know you all want to come have fun. We have 31 teams and are looking for the rest of you to sign up. Just in case you need the link http://www.melgesworlds.com/

Get a some early practice in at the M24 BLACK TIE REGATTA hosted by RUSH CREEK YACHT CLUB APRIL 1-3. This 3 day event will have a clinic/tune-up day on Friday with Farley Fontenot of Quantum Sails on the water Coaching. Saturday and Sunday will be feature racing and Party on Saturday night. Keep an eye on RCYC.org for NOR and Registration.

Also, April 15-17 is the 25th Annual Lakefest Regatta on Lake Texoma. Another great Tune up event that will be attended by many of the regional Melges 24 teams.

you still have time to sign up. CCYC sponsored the wind station in the bay so you can see what is happening. Here is the link http://lighthouse.tamucc.edu/overview/108 it is spring in CC and it can be windy. go to the link and see how much fun they are going to have and you are going to be missing.

If you are a North American M24 owner, why are you not at this regatta?

It looks freakin' awesome.

I know a lot of owners got sideswiped by the economy in the last 3 years, and that's understandable and they'll be back in the sport when things get better. But with close to 50 at Charleston, surely the opportunity to sail the Worlds at a place like Corpus is hard to pass up.

I'm driving the only Texas boat in this regatta.

by the way, i own a viper.... target, painted.

I know a lot of owners got sideswiped by the economy in the last 3 years, and that's understandable and they'll be back in the sport when things get better. But with close to 50 at Charleston, surely the opportunity to sail the Worlds at a place like Corpus is hard to pass up.

I own two Melges 24's and I'm not going to the regatta. The travel time and costs make it unreasonable for me to attend. It looks like it will be a good regatta.

you still have time to sign up. CCYC sponsored the wind station in the bay so you can see what is happening. Here is the link http://lighthouse.tamucc.edu/overview/108 it is spring in CC and it can be windy. go to the link and see how much fun they are going to have and you are going to be missing.

The 505s had this problem back in 1998 (I think). Lightly attended event but for those who attended it was considered amongst the best conditions they had sailed in. Big breeze and warm water. Plus if you are nice to me I will tell you all the good places to eat when you are there.

I own two Melges 24's and I'm not going to the regatta. The travel time and costs make it unreasonable for me to attend. It looks like it will be a good regatta.

Big mistake Savage. These will be the best conditions you will sail in this year. Hope you bring one of your boats.

it was 1999 for the 505 NA'sand we had wonderful conditions the boats left the dock at 1145 for a noon start.

I considered borrowing Simplicity for this event but I'm all out of Hall passes.

Great Class + Great Location + the fastest sailors in a grand prix class = a pretty damn attractive package.

My guess is that the economy is having a pretty large part to do with lighter attendance. It has a lagged impact on regatta attendance. The top teams had to be making plans to do this a year ago, and it felt pretty bad a year ago.

However 35+ M24s on a start line at Corpus is still going to be exciting. So go the Texans!

i'm a young 24 owner from chs so needless to say the trip is a big financial undertaking for someone in my position. teri absolutely bent over backwards for us to get there and it looks like we'll be on the line thanks in no small part to her help. contact her to see if there's anything she can do to push you over the edge when it comes to making the decision. texas hospitality at it's finest.

i'm a young 24 owner from chs so needless to say the trip is a big financial undertaking for someone in my position. teri absolutely bent over backwards for us to get there and it looks like we'll be on the line thanks in no small part to her help. contact her to see if there's anything she can do to push you over the edge when it comes to making the decision. texas hospitality at it's finest.

Teri has been working really hard for the past year. Thank you for recognizing her effort. The sailing is going to be great! See you there:)

Big mistake Savage. These will be the best conditions you will sail in this year. Hope you bring one of your boats.

Big Steve - With over 2000+ miles each way to tow the boat and gas at $4.00+ a gallon makes just getting there pricey. Then add entry fee.....Accommodations....food.... housing.... easily....$10,000 to $20,000 for a week of racing....

Would be much cheaper if I lived in the state as you do!

Good luck!

Big Steve - With over 2000+ miles each way to tow the boat and gas at $4.00+ a gallon makes just getting there pricey. Then add entry fee.....Accommodations....food.... housing.... easily....$10,000 to $20,000 for a week of racing....

Good luck!

accommodations and hsg...yikes, sounds expensive. talk to teri, she may be able to help out...with either. i'm 1300+ miles each way and i'm no where close to $10k, nevermind $20k.

This regatta will be Epic.

Texas Hospitality, The Corpus Blow, The Talent Level....f'n epic.

Outstanding job Teri !

This regatta will be Epic.

Texas Hospitality, The Corpus Blow, The Talent Level....f'n epic.

Outstanding job Teri !

It would be epic if there were double the number of boats registered. All the top players are present, but would be much more exciting with 60+ boats on the line. I know of at least 6-7 boats in Dallas and maybe one is attending...this economy really sucks.

CCYC is still willing to run a practice race/races Saturday the 30th at noon. If you plan on attending, please come by the club NLT than 11am to check in and go over a few things.

-Pegasus 1 (Philippe)

-Pegasus 2 (Ullman)

-Pegasus 3

-WTF (Field)

-Simplicity (Strauss)

-Blur (Kopf)

-Hoodlum (Hulsey)

-Layline (Weisleder)

-Flying Elvis (Gulari)

-Cre843 (Siegler)

-Full Throttle (Porter)

With all due respect, a $950 entry fee is not cheap and I know of 2 boats that aren't going because of the costs!

Sb3 worlds - 120 entries - £400 entry fee

M24 worlds - 35 entries - $950 entry fee

Go figure....

35 boats is quite frankly pathetic - Obviously more too it than just the entry fee, maybe no-one wants to go to seppo land.......

Sb3 worlds - 120 entries - £400 entry fee

M24 worlds - 35 entries - $950 entry fee

Go figure....

35 boats is quite frankly pathetic - Obviously more too it than just the entry fee, maybe no-one wants to go to seppo land.......

It's not in seppo land.

Good luck!

Unless you are treating your crew to some sweet hotel rooms and awesome dinners, I cant see how you break $10k.

Entry fee $1000

Fuel $1000

Hotel rooms $4000

Sandwiches and sundries $1000

Crew dinners and booze $3000

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Add in a set of 9K sails that will be worthless after a week of racing in Corpus.

Good luck!

Unless you are treating your crew to some sweet hotel rooms and awesome dinners, I cant see how you break $10k.

Entry fee $1000

Fuel $1000

Hotel rooms $4000

Sandwiches and sundries $1000

Crew dinners and booze $3000

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Here are my costs,

hotel rooms doubles at the la quinta inn 3 miles away $37 per night

total for the whole event $1500

fuel $2000

sandwiches make your own $200 whole event

crew dinners and booze, you are on your own.

I am lucky that is how my team runs but the expenses of doing worlds are around 4-5k

cheaper than the moth worlds this year....

Here are my costs,

fuel $2000

I am lucky that is how my team runs but the expenses of doing worlds are around 4-5k

You ought to throw a moth or two into the rig.

Moth's in Corpus - wow.

Probably be able to fit the remaining bits and pieces in a knapsack for the return trip.

Here are my costs,

fuel $2000

How much would it cost to spend the proper amount of time training? My biggest cost would be time lost at work. If my job was to sail, then it would be a problem.

What say you Viper owners ?

I say it sounds like it should be an epic regatta. I hope it blows like expected in Corpus for you!

Turnout is tough these days, particularly if local fleet racing is growing, people don't feel the need to drive 2K-3K miles for a big regatta. Vipers had a relatively low turnout at Charleston, largely for that reason. Gas is crazy expensive, which doesn't help. We have strong regional circuits in NE, TX and West Coast, with real local fleet racing happening all around those areas. Entry fees are usually a fraction of the total cost of a regatta, but the Viper NA's entry is >$200, $175 if I recall, for a 4 day event.

I roll like Bora (sort of!).Shared expenses for food & drink, though I try to by the first round ashore. I take care of the boat, entry, delivery costs. I travel a LOT, so I'm always looking for free lodging for myself and my crew. That makes it affordable for me. I think I've managed to only pay for lodging 2-3 times the past few years. I reciprocate by opening my home to visitors- Viperers, J24's, Sonars, Etchells, whatever. What goes around comes around... I also tend to sail with a lot of pick-up crews of locals, interested in sailing the Vipe, introducing them to the boat and the class. Sometimes I get some stellar crew, sometimes not so much! laugh.gif

My day job doesn't allow me to take more than a day for practice at a regatta, and that's even rare, but the time away from family and work is the other challenge.

You don't need to go insanely expensive if you work at it. Trashing a $9K set of sails in one event though? Really?? ouch. We get one suit per year.

I'm looking forward to local fleet racing starting in May, and not driving more than 200 miles for another regatta until our NA's in the fall.

Have fun! Get out the lead, sail fast!

What say you Viper owners ?

If the worlds were in Newport or Marblehead I would definitely be looking for a ride or a boat. Ultra is a Texan Viperer and he is driving a M24 at the Corpus Christi worlds. We love our Vipers but the chance to be part of World champs in one of the great sport boat classes (lets be honest, history will record that the Melges 24 broke all kinds of barriers for sport boat classes) against some of the best sport boat sailors, in a "breeze on" location would be hard to pass up.

In fact if Ultra had called me and said "There's a spot". My reply would probably have been "Hang on, I'll get my coat" If Simplicity were going I'd have been all over that.

The sad thing about Viper sailors is we are addicted to fast sport boats. (There is a thread on our web site "Viper Intervention" where we try and help folks with the addiction). When there is a weekend without a Viper regatta, we will get our poison however we can. + its damn fun to sail other boats from time to time. You can learn some techniques from other classes. The way we gybe chutes (early rotation) now came directly from crewing on Melges 24s.

yea folks it has been windy On CC Bay the last 24 hours but the water is warm

Recent Observations

Date/Time AirTemp(°F) WaterTemp(°F) WindSpeed(mph) WindGusts(mph) WindDir(°) Baropress(in Hg)

May 01 17:00 CDT 80.4 78.8 28.2 32.9 144 29.67

May 01 16:00 CDT 80.8 78.6 31.3 35.3 146 29.69

May 01 15:00 CDT 80.6 78.6 26.6 30.0 148 29.72

May 01 14:00 CDT 80.2 78.4 30.6 34.0 148 29.71

May 01 13:00 CDT 80.4 78.3 29.8 35.3 157 29.73

May 01 12:00 CDT 79.7 78.1 30.2 37.8 154 29.73

May 01 11:00 CDT 79.3 77.7 28.2 36.5 146 29.74

May 01 10:00 CDT 78.6 77.7 26.2 30.6 135 29.74

May 01 09:00 CDT 77.9 77.7 25.3 28.4 131 29.73

May 01 08:00 CDT 77.7 77.7 19.5 26.4 133 29.73

May 01 07:00 CDT 77.7 77.9 25.7 30.4 149 29.72

May 01 06:00 CDT 78.1 77.7 24.6 31.3 149 29.70

May 01 05:00 CDT 77.9 77.7 25.9 33.8 148 29.68

May 01 04:00 CDT 77.9 77.5 28.6 35.1 144 29.68

May 01 03:00 CDT 78.1 77.5 27.3 31.8 146 29.69

May 01 02:00 CDT 78.3 77.4 25.5 28.9 145 29.71

May 01 01:00 CDT 78.4 77.4 24.2 29.1 147 29.73

May 01 00:00 CDT 78.6 77.7 23.5 29.1 154 29.73

Apr 30 23:00 CDT 78.6 77.5 26.6 32.2 153 29.71

Apr 30 22:00 CDT 78.4 77.7 25.3 30.9 159 29.70

Apr 30 21:00 CDT 78.6 77.9 28.4 33.6 147 29.67

Apr 30 20:00 CDT 78.6 77.9 24.8 32.9 152 29.65

Apr 30 19:00 CDT 79.0 78.1 26.2 29.3 150 29.64

Apr 30 18:00 CDT 79.7 78.1 27.1 32.0 152 29.63

yea folks it has been windy On CC Bay the last 24 hours but the water is warm

Recent Observations

Date/Time AirTemp(°F) WaterTemp(°F) WindSpeed(mph) WindGusts(mph) WindDir(°) Baropress(in Hg)

May 01 17:00 CDT 80.4 78.8 28.2 32.9 144 29.67

May 01 16:00 CDT 80.8 78.6 31.3 35.3 146 29.69

May 01 15:00 CDT 80.6 78.6 26.6 30.0 148 29.72

May 01 14:00 CDT 80.2 78.4 30.6 34.0 148 29.71

May 01 13:00 CDT 80.4 78.3 29.8 35.3 157 29.73

May 01 12:00 CDT 79.7 78.1 30.2 37.8 154 29.73

May 01 11:00 CDT 79.3 77.7 28.2 36.5 146 29.74

May 01 10:00 CDT 78.6 77.7 26.2 30.6 135 29.74

May 01 09:00 CDT 77.9 77.7 25.3 28.4 131 29.73

May 01 08:00 CDT 77.7 77.7 19.5 26.4 133 29.73

May 01 07:00 CDT 77.7 77.9 25.7 30.4 149 29.72

May 01 06:00 CDT 78.1 77.7 24.6 31.3 149 29.70

May 01 05:00 CDT 77.9 77.7 25.9 33.8 148 29.68

May 01 04:00 CDT 77.9 77.5 28.6 35.1 144 29.68

May 01 03:00 CDT 78.1 77.5 27.3 31.8 146 29.69

May 01 02:00 CDT 78.3 77.4 25.5 28.9 145 29.71

May 01 01:00 CDT 78.4 77.4 24.2 29.1 147 29.73

May 01 00:00 CDT 78.6 77.7 23.5 29.1 154 29.73

Apr 30 23:00 CDT 78.6 77.5 26.6 32.2 153 29.71

Apr 30 22:00 CDT 78.4 77.7 25.3 30.9 159 29.70

Apr 30 21:00 CDT 78.6 77.9 28.4 33.6 147 29.67

Apr 30 20:00 CDT 78.6 77.9 24.8 32.9 152 29.65

Apr 30 19:00 CDT 79.0 78.1 26.2 29.3 150 29.64

Apr 30 18:00 CDT 79.7 78.1 27.1 32.0 152 29.63

Damn that is seriously steady wind. Can't wait to get there and feel the warm water!

We resent that remark and perhaps I should order something other than the two sets of Ullmans from the Long Beach loft next year? While the statement's true, don't trash us and we won't trash you.

A Melges Worlds will have sail measurement, on the water judges etc. This all costs money and you cannot compare entry costs to a club event or even a nationals.

I suspect costs for a Corpus Worlds on a single event basis would be quite a bit under Key Largo was but there you could double up with Key West.

I ballpark a worlds to be close to $20k including a jib/main/kite and that assumes crew picks up their own hotel and food and you are not paying a pro. If the owner does that you run to $30k quite quickly. Melges sailing is fantastic but top level events like a Worlds cost a lot.

I'm psyched about having the opportunity to race in this event. When my buddy called me i jumped on it. Great opportunity for some of the highest sport-boat racing in the world. Just wish there were a few other hacks like me attending, entry list looks pretty stacked. Ah well, another lesson in humility, but reckon it will be a super experience.

I've done several events with the boys this winter / spring, really fun boats to sail - especially when the breeze is on. Since my viper is busted it looks like i'll be slummin' it on a melges for most of this year. Ah, what a bummer huh...

ultraracer - I came DFL in the 2005 Worlds, some of the best racing I've ever done. Way more fun than winning an IRC race in the Solent. You'll have a blast.

Would gladly crew on the last place boat just to be there...

But as a Viper owner, $1000 entry? no way.

:rolleyes:

Two words.

Holy Crap.

On part of the downwind ride, the wake was so big it looked like a trench behind the boat. That is one crew which are READY!

I wanna go big air sailing again sooooon.

Melges 24 Rule Change:

DELETE:

pulpits, stanchions, lifelines.

ADD:

normal hiking straps.

RESULT:

way more fun for everyone.

Melges 24 Rule Change:

DELETE:

ADD:

normal hiking straps.

RESULT:

DELETE:

3 feet LOA

2 extra crew

ADD:

Viper 640 decal

RESULT:

way, way mo' fun for all

Melges 24 Rule Change:

DELETE:

ADD:

normal hiking straps.

RESULT:

DELETE:

3 feet LOA

2 extra crew

ADD:

Viper 640 decal

RESULT:

way, way mo' fun for all

You guys need to get a life. Why don't you go spend your time sailing and enjoying your vipers rather then tearing down the people who choose to sail other boats. Seriously. Grow up.

Itz a frakin joke dear, poking fun at the poster poking fun at the original poster. Why anyone, male or female, takes ANYTHING posted on the Anarchy as anything more than a time wasting distraction THEY need to get a life. FYI I went sailing last night with my crew, including children, had a blast. Next week I will be serving as a committee boat volunteer all week for the M24 Worlds, taking a week off work to help our guest enjoy their stay on the bay. Hope to see you out there.

:rolleyes:

Two words.

Holy Crap.

On part of the downwind ride, the wake was so big it looked like a trench behind the boat. That is one crew which are READY!

I wanna go big air sailing again sooooon.

Now if that doesnt get you excited to go sailing on any boat, not sure what would. This video is pretty good too. From 2:14 on....

Kristen, this is one of the best M24 videos I have seen. Good luck down there!

http://youtu.be/clVgcBhserg

Melges 24 Rule Change:

DELETE:

ADD:

normal hiking straps.

RESULT:

DELETE:

3 feet LOA

2 extra crew

ADD:

Viper 640 decal

RESULT:

way, way mo' fun for all

You guys need to get a life. Why don't you go spend your time sailing and enjoying your vipers rather then tearing down the people who choose to sail other boats. Seriously. Grow up.

I'm not pimping another boat. I've sailed the Melges 24 and I like it a lot... except the hiking. My suggestion, having sailed on many 3- to 5-man keel boats, is a valid one. Why don't you ask Buddy Melges what he thinks about hiking straps versus saw-your-gut-in-half lifeline hiking?

But feel free to ignore my best intentions.

I'm not pimping another boat. I've sailed the Melges 24 and I like it a lot... except the hiking. My suggestion, having sailed on many 3- to 5-man keel boats, is a valid one. Why don't you ask Buddy Melges what he thinks about hiking straps versus saw-your-gut-in-half lifeline hiking?

But feel free to ignore my best intentions.

Get over it. It's different, it hurts, and it's not changing. The Melges 24 is a powerful, fast, and difficult boat to sail well. But those of us who choose to race it, enjoy and even brag occasionally to each other of the pain we suffer. Just watch those videos again and remember when you once sailed that fast - on a MELGES.

Vipers are also GREAT boats but no one drags on and on about it being underpowered and tippy. ;) Go sailing!

Melges 24 Rule Change:

DELETE:

ADD:

normal hiking straps.

RESULT:

DELETE:

3 feet LOA

2 extra crew

ADD:

Viper 640 decal

RESULT:

way, way mo' fun for all

Okay, I find that quite funny I have to admit, but the truth is that the Melges 24 IS the king of the hill, grand prix sportboat class. We're gunning hard for a first ever 50 Viper start, while that's something the M24 has enjoyed for ages. But for the success of the M24, I doubt the Viper revival could have ever happened.

The J/24 and Melges 24 are both iconic keelboat designs that changed one-design racing pretty profoundly, IMHO.

Get over it. It's different, it hurts, and it's not changing. The Melges 24 is a powerful, fast, and difficult boat to sail well. But those of us who choose to race it, enjoy and even brag occasionally to each other of the pain we suffer. Just watch those videos again and remember when you once sailed that fast - on a MELGES.

Fine. You're not wrong.

However, something is seriously wrong when only 35 show up to a Worlds at a guaranteed heavy air site.

I'm pretty sure there would have been 80 if it was in Charleston or Key Largo.

That being said, I just got a frantic last minute call from a European friend, and it looks like I am saddling up the Anarchy wagon and headed to Corpus on Sunday morning. Will be in town for a few drinks and then turning around.

Fine. You're not wrong.

However, something is seriously wrong when only 35 show up to a Worlds at a guaranteed heavy air site.

Agree with that and it needs to be addressed. Lots of excuses to throw around. I'm confident management will have meetings and hem haw sessions before releasing a statement placing blame squarely in someone elses lap. In the meantime let's go sailing!

We've all raced lots of slow boats, at bad venues with substandard conditions and had a great time. For me, I get tired of throwing whole regattas, fleets and venues under the bus. It doesn't matter what you sail it matters that you sail.

Cheers and out

I'm pretty sure there would have been 80 if it was in Charleston or Key Largo.

That being said, I just got a frantic last minute call from a European friend, and it looks like I am saddling up the Anarchy wagon and headed to Corpus on Sunday morning. Will be in town for a few drinks and then turning around.

still not sticking around for the main event, huh?

Corpus is at the end of the world for most people. You would think 1/2 way between Dago and Miami it would be an ideal spot to meet "half-way" for bicoastal fleet action, but the sad fact is its simply a 20 hour drive from either coast one way and most people don't have the luxury of spending the equivalent of a full work week sitting behind the wheel to play weekend warrior. The distance, and a nonexistent local sailing scene, combine to make a 35 34 33 boat Worlds.

most people don't have the luxury of spending the equivalent of a full work week sitting behind the wheel to play weekend warrior.

Melges 24 Worlds == "weekend warrior"??? :blink:

Hardly!

most people don't have the luxury of spending the equivalent of a full work week sitting behind the wheel to play weekend warrior.

Hardly!

The majority of the individuals at a Melges Worlds will be weekend warriors, perhaps not in the top 10%-20% but overall.

Hardly!

The majority of the individuals at a Melges Worlds will be weekend warriors, perhaps not in the top 10%-20% but overall.

And that is what makes the class awesome, you get to go race against the best.

In the 2011 Worlds, I count 33 total, 10 corinthian. So 70% of the fleet are not considered corinthian by ISAF I suppose. Doesn't matter, gonna be one helluva carnage-fest. PRO states the class has no upper wind limits and we will be putting on the show, daily, until the committee boats can not longer hold an anchor. Scopolamine anyone?

20 hours my ass. Just passing through Montgomery, AL with GER-635 in tow and the SA rig. Honk if you see us!

In the 2011 Worlds, I count 33 total, 10 corinthian. So 70% of the fleet are not considered corinthian by ISAF I suppose. Doesn't matter, gonna be one helluva carnage-fest. PRO states the class has no upper wind limits and we will be putting on the show, daily, until the committee boats can not longer hold an anchor. Scopolamine anyone?

If you have a single pro aboard you are non-Corinthian, 3 weekend warriors and some help = pro team.

20 hours my ass. Just passing through Montgomery, AL with GER-635 in tow and the SA rig. Honk if you see us!

Well they've dropped the wind advisory this evening so your head winds should be below 30 for the final stretch.

Current Conditions

thanks pete stopping in kemah to grab a spare mast then late night arrival in cc

Mapquest says this.

Seattle to Corpus = 36 hours and 2335 miles

Charleston to Corpus = 20 hours and 1282 miles

Chicago to Corpus = 21 hours and 1308 miles

Miami to Corpus = 22 hours and 1436 miles

Hell we have 12 boats signed up for the Seattle NOOD the same time Worlds is going on... and two of our local boats are at Worlds.

NOOD link

4670 miles round trip at 9 mile per gallon

$4.25 per gallon and 519 gallons later = $2200 in fuel alone to get there and back.

Oh and then by the way the brick house team is down there practicing for the last 3 weeks on site. For the local hack it makes you want to sail against the best but.....

Good Luck to those that have the $$$ to go and sail against the best. I miss trying to do that. I figured it would cost about $12k to do Worlds for me from Seattle.

I burned 130 gallons from CHS to Corpus taking it easy. Crazy. Good to see the boys though and catch up. They were all pretty stoked - while huge fleet M24 events are awesome, this one will give the top guys a chance to do something they never get to - sail almost exclusively against other top guys. The difference between the top 15 teams and the bottom 15 will be a big one, and the battle for podium should be pretty epic. Super bummed to not get to stay around - Bora asked if I wanted to go for a practice sail, but I knew if I did, I probably wouldn't leave. So I left.

Any Avatar sightings yet? She arrived there last night.

I saw about 10 boats out there practicing earlier. Somebody must've forgot to pay the wind utility bill as it never got much above 5 knots today...

Bay Conditions

here's some coverage from the pre-worlds...... http://www.melgesworlds.com/

The Pre Worlds are over...Sorry for the lack of coverage today...Today's conditions were much different from yesterday...Blowy and cool today...Two good races in with the winner being Eivind Melleby on NOR 804, Full Medal Jacket, with Lorenzo Bressani on ITA 817, Uka Uka Racing taking 2nd, and 3rd place going to Conor Clarke on IRL 607, Embarr. The highest placing American was Charleston winner, Kristen Lane on USA 812, Team Brickhouse 812 at 8th place, and the placing Corinthian today was Erwan le Gall on USA 15, Abordage finishing in 12th place.

Cold Spot and Funtech Racing may need to take a refresher course in green cans...Since both seemed to forget to go around them not between them and ran aground before they even got out of the breakwater...Course this scribe learned from a little birdie that they may have been a little hungover, so this might have been more of a case of operator error due to decreased response time...

All in all today went well...A few glitches, but that's what Pre Regattas are for, and we've worked most of them out...

Registration is FINALLY closed...Heath Walters just brought the last sail up to be stamped...So, I can take a deep breath and relax for a bit...Yeah right...

Skipper's Meeting at 5:30 with Opening Ceremony and Pusser's Rum party to follow...Should be a great time...Wonder how many will have trouble finding the gap out from the breakwater tomorrow...

So, I'm going to sign off for tonight and have a Painkiller courtesy of Jamie Jackson and Pusser's...Jamie is being a wonderful sponsor and we look forward to having him with us all week...

Here's to a Great 2011 Melges 24 Worlds Regatta...More tomorrow...

Sunday May 15, 2011 5:02

[standby] See you tomorrow...

Clinic is over and the drinking and eating have begun...First race currently scheduled for 11am tomorrow...Pray for wind...

Cocktail flag is flying so I'm signing off for now...

Saturday May 14, 2011 4:01

Race #1 for the day is over...The first boat NOR 804 finished at 12:30:45...The race started at 11:13am...The results are posted on the web site...We didn't have a 2nd race today as the winds really layed early this afternoon. Currently having an informal Clinic on today's race...We're certainly hoping for more wind tomorrow...Had a dry front come through yesterday, which led to light winds today but starting to clock around now...Hoping for stronger winds tomorrow...

Saturday May 14, 2011 3:40

The first day of Pre-Worlds are here and the weather is georgeous...The wind is NE at 54* 6.4 kts with gusts to 8 kts...Air temp is 76* with beautiful clear blue skys...

Ist Race is under way...they are heading to the weather mark...

We will have daily live video chats each morning with Bora and maybe some of his team. Also should have some with Michetti (Uka Uka) and Goldsberry (Brick House) and maybe a few others. Can't be there, but sure can get the stories...

sporty showdown

We've talked ad nauseum about the tiny 32-boat Melges 24 Worlds fleet in Corpus Christi, TX, but the truth is that the winner of this Worlds will have fought just as hard for it as anyone in the Class's history. The World's top boats are in Texas, and with a mix of moderate and nuclear on order, it'll be all on down near old Mexico in a fleet that's got almost as many internationals as it does Americans.

Form Follows Function

Here's a little intro to the fleet – a form guide - that'll give you something to chew on as you watch the live blog coverage that's coming to you from the CCYC starting Monday at 11 AM.

Podium Play:

1) The odds-on favorite for the victory has to be Lorenzo Santini's Uka Uka Racing, with two-time M24 World Champ Rufo Bressani at the stick , Jonathan McKee on tactics, and the only 3-time M24 World Champ in history – Federico Michetti – trimming and doing boat prep. We'd be stupid not to pick the fastest Melges 24 of the past half-decade for the championship and it's theirs to lose.

2) One of the nicest sailors on the planet also happens to be one of the fastest, and we think Flavio Favini will be keeping Uka Uka honest all week on Blu Moon with Matteo Ivaldi calling the shots and an all-pro team in support.

3) This one is a toss-up for us, but we think a US boat will take the third spot. We'd like to think that Bora Gulari's ridiculous boat speed and a month of hard training with an awesome group of sailors will get him on the podium, but we think Full Throttle's Brian Porter will have Andy Burdick keeping him consistent over the 12-race series, and that'll make the difference and get Porter on the podium as first non-pro driver.

4) Andrea Rachelli and the Altea bunch are brilliant sailors, and consistently kick ass at the 50-80 boat regattas in Italy, and they love the breeze. Look for this largely-unknown-in-the-US team to sneak in in front of some of the bigger name teams.

5) Bora/Bear/Hutch/Frodo/Jonesey on West Marine/New England Ropes should be fighting with Altea and the 6th place boat by the end of the event. Then again, if the breeze comes on earlier than forecast (currently Wednesday is when the East Texas Wind Machine turns on again), all bets are off and these guys are ON.

6) Non-pro owner/driver Alan Field with the mini-hippie Shampain on prep/bow and Steve Hunt calling tactics have a habit of kicking ass up and down the regional events with WTF only to fail to beat the superstars in the big ones. 6 would be a good result for them, and that's where we'll slot 'em.

7) Riccardo Simoneschi is the International M24 Class President, but he lives and breathes big waves and powered-up conditions with his AUDI. With longtime superstar M24 racer Gabi Benussi yelling at him, this multiple Key West winner will be fast enough to get to the podium if he doesn't blow his cool. Otherwise, he's here.

8) Eivind Melleby is an incredible racer, nearly upsetting an all-star US fleet in Annapolis a few years ago, and coming to Texas with a new boat and great crew of Norwegians. Melleby may be a VOR vet, but he's best in light air like in the fjords – something there is precious little of in Corpus – and Full Medal Jacket will likely be run over by the top Italians and yanks in 25 knots and big, steep chop.

9) Kristen Lane has an awesome group of racers with Charlie McKee really getting her up to speed recently (including the first major sailor chick win in the M24 Class in a decade last month in Charleston), and a top 10 finish for her Brick House team at a tough Worlds like this will be a huge accomplishment for the San Francisco adrenaline junkie and her crew, and she's due for it.

10) Melges Australia head honcho Heath Walters has been spending an inordinate amount of time racing M24s all over Oz as he builds the local fleets up, and his laid-back attitude and comfort in big air and warm water should do well to get him in the standings as first Antipodean with Coco.

Spoiler Alert:

We don't have the usual situation in Corpus that we've seen in other Worlds; there's no Jimmy Spithill to come in like in 2005 and astonish the fleet, and we're pretty confident that our top 10 above, while probably not in the right order, will be pretty close. That being said, if the weather goes moderate and the wind stays under 20, Charleston college rock star sailor Dave O' Reilly can work some real magic, windsurfing sailmaker Dan Kaselar can show some serious speed, and Alec Cutler may be a M24 noob, but with most of Chris Larson's 2009 World Champ team aboard, he could easily pull off a top ten finish – or even a podium.

Talk Radio – SA Style

We'll be doing a LIVE daily video show with some of the skippers each morning starting Tuesday, and we'll post the archives of each day's video interview here in the Melges 24 Worlds thread. Go there to post your own questions for the sailors each day, and we'll be sure they get answered.

And don't forget, the event site has live blogging coverage starting at 11 AM, and you can find pre-worlds results and press release if you look for 'em.

WTF gets race 1. Go USA

sailing updates by Sail22 much better than the Melges24 worlds site.

http://www.sailingupdates.com/

race1.complete...

currently viewing Race 1 of the Melges 24 Worlds regatta.PlaceBow#Sail#NameOwner

USA 811

WTF (M24 Worlds)Alan Field

IRL 607

Embarr (M24 Worlds)Conor Clarke

SUI 596

Blu Moon (M24 Worlds)Flavio Favini

ITA 735

ALTEA (M24 Worlds)Andrea Racchelli

NOR 804

Full Medal Jacket (M24 Worlds)Eivind Melleby

ITA 817

Uka Uka (M24 Worlds)LORENZO BRESSANI

ITA 819

AUDI (M24 Worlds)Riccardo Simoneschi

USA 812

Brick House 812 (M24 Worlds)Kristen Lane

BER 655

Hedgehog (M24 Worlds)Alec Cutler

USA 604

Tom Slick (M24 Worlds)Jeff Wittenberg

JPN 783

Esprit (M24 Worlds)Eiichiro Hamazaki

FRA 644

ZIG ZAG 18 (M24 Worlds)Henri Samuel

AUS 686

Coco (M24 Worlds)Heath Walters

AUS 553

Bandit (M24 Worlds)Warwick Rooklyn

USA 820

New England Ropes/West Marine (M24 Worlds)Bora Gulari

USA 749

FULL THROTTLE (M24 Worlds)BRIAN PORTER

USA 344

Cold Shot (M24 Worlds)Steve Eller

USA 623

Brick House 623 (M24 Worlds)Peter Lane

USA 700

ARDOR/C.R.E.A.M. (M24 Worlds)David O'Reilly

USA 379

Team Velocitek (M24 Worlds)Daniel Kaseler

USA 24

Smokin (M24 Worlds)Kevin Clark

USA 786

BATTLE RHYTHM (M24 Worlds)Guy Mossman

USA 674

Rosebud (M24 Worlds)Scott Holmgren

GER 635

Unsponsored (M24 Worlds)Christof Wieland

USA 615

Funtech Racing (M24 Worlds)Charlie Hess

USA 675

Happy Thoughts (M24 Worlds)David Brede

USA 480

Monsoon II (M24 Worlds)Mark Hulings

CAN 121

Black Dog (M24 Worlds)Dave Black

USA 533

High Voltage (M24 Worlds)August Hernandez

USA 15

Abordage (M24 Worlds)Erwan le Gall

USA 494

Wee Jaggie (M24 Worlds)Andrew Walford

USA 201

Mako (M24 Worlds)Stephen McMillan

With the start line spitting distance from the dock and only 32 boats, they ought to be able to pop out at least 4 races a day and finish up on Wednesday / Thursday.

USA boats getting bullets, but UKA UKA going to be consistently at the top. Brick House is good....proving why they won Charleston in the second race today.