Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swedge Humper

Detroit NOOD 2010

Looks like the first one I will be sitting out in a while, probably make it down for a night. Looks like a pretty good turnout though, and some strong fleets.

Melges 20 - Hollerbach or Holzman

36.7s - Grizzly or Critical

Cal 25 - Holmebrew or whitefang.

Catalina 27 - Windward or Intense

Express 27 - Go the GLX, but probably Hod or Peter Fortune

IRC - Burden, Saturn or Rum if it is light.

J105 - Who cares?..Just kidding, don't know the fleet.

J120 - Carinthia

J29 - Baron with the local knowledge

J35 - Falcon or Mr Bill

Level 126 - Contender or Avatar

Melges 24 - Dow or Hulsey

NA40 - Prophit.

And the BoM76/PBS to once again kick the snot out the Red Devil paint shaker. Eat it, Bitches.

7.9's... Blackbeard ...loaded up

24's..... WTF or Toaster

ultimate 20... Tac Boston

viper.....jackpot / brad Boston

36.7's.....natty-j with Bora on board

IRC.... Several boats run aground

How on Earth don't the C&C 35's have their own class? What's happening to that class? They always have a strong showing for Mackinac...

Either way, sitting this one out for the second year in a row due to my studies. Will try my best to make it down for one of the nights.

My only prediction is that Swedge drinks to excess and introduces some young lass to the inside of an ocean racer while he introduces himself to the inside of some young lass.

36.7 I didn't see Legend on the list. It's so unlike Wang to leave something to last minute... They're always a tough contender.

IRC is going to be tough this year, especially if there is a lot of light stuff.

Swedge never drinks to excess. Never.

24's..... WTF or Toaster

Yep, I forgot the 7.9s. Dys Dog does have a hell of a local crew on that boat, but no time in the boat. Best of luck to the VTs.

Also, Jeff Sampson in the T-10s with a tame name this year.

Plenty of water in Lake St Stupid. It is getting to that spot that gets you in trouble.....

Looks like Wang is registered with a Viper, that could explain why Legend isn't registered.

24's..... WTF or Toaster

Yep, I forgot the 7.9s. Dys Dog does have a hell of a local crew on that boat, but no time in the boat. Best of luck to the VTs.

Plenty of water in Lake St Stupid. It is getting to that spot that gets you in trouble.....

Looks like Wang is registered with a Viper, that could explain why Legend isn't registered.

Ahem...Don't overlook Rebel in the 7.9 class. That crew is pretty stacked and is ready to kick some ass. The boat is in great condition and is well sailed.

I have a secret weapon. I drilled 20,000 1/8" holes in my hull and I put positive air pressure from farting inside the cabin to break the hydrotension of the water over the hull. If I stop farting, the boat will sink unless we all man the bail buckets. I just gotta make sure Barleymalt sets me up with enough home brew.

Tame unless you know the song and the movie that it was in.

"Little Green Bag" is playing during the opening credits of "Reservoir Dogs" as they are walking out of the dinner.

The scene then cuts to Mr. White hauling ass away in a car with Mr. Orange in the back bleeding out onto an all white interior.

So are they going to have name tags on? Who gets to be Mr. Pink?

Tame unless you know the song and the movie that it was in.

"Little Green Bag" is playing during the opening credits of "Reservoir Dogs" as they are walking out of the dinner.

The scene then cuts to Mr. White hauling ass away in a car with Mr. Orange in the back bleeding out onto an all white interior.

So are they going to have name tags on? Who gets to be Mr. Pink?

But compared to some of his other efforts, like Smelly Pirate Hooker it just doesn't have the same effect. Not to take anything away from the tune or the movie, it is a classic.

DD, don't have much kegged at the moment. There is plenty of good micro beer around though and Barview had Oberon on tap the last time I was there. I wish I had stayed away from the Final Absolution beer canning last night, my head would be in a better place..

Looks like the first one I will be sitting out in a while, probably make it down for a night. Looks like a pretty good turnout though, and some strong fleets.

Barley, I'm hurt ! You've already ruled out the 'Fly ?

24's..... WTF or Toaster

The VT's have handled a 7.9 before (think Richardson a few years back) they should be strong - 'specially with Brad and Tac in other fleets, they only have to worry about the 'Afro-Canadian' on Frequent Flyer.

24's..... WTF or Toaster

The VT's have handled a 7.9 before (think Richardson a few years back) they should be strong - 'specially with Brad and Tac in other fleets, they only have to worry about the 'Afro-Canadian' on Frequent Flyer.

Rebel will be doing 2 W/L tomorrow as a tune up in a secret location. We will be ready. Second in Annapolis really sucked.

Barley, I'm hurt ! You've already ruled out the 'Fly ?

Like my predictions are worth the storage they occupy...;). More local knowledge than anything, this regatta is usually light and shifty as hell and LSC can be a homer pond. I would do the same thing in Holland, or figure that BT for instance had an advantage in Musketucky Lake over the Detroit M24 crowd. But I wish you the best of luck. Like I said there are some very competitive fleets, it should be great racing.

Usually light and shifty? i think the last 3 years averaged over 20... Maybe this year youll achieve your "usually" best of luck.

Usually light and shifty? i think the last 3 years averaged over 20... Maybe this year youll achieve your "usually" best of luck.

You think wrong. Two years ago it blew hard (not averaging over 20 but a couple races around there) for two of the three days, last year it blew hard for part of Saturday,,one race. Friday was actually postponed for a while after the breeze shut off in the first race, and Sunday was light as well. Three years ago was light. As was four, five, and six. Racing was cancelled one day due to a front moving through seven years ago IIRC. Any guess what the patterns have been so far this year, Einstein?.

24's..... WTF or Toaster

Afro-Canadian? Curtis? Great dude, great sailor.

VT's should indeed be strong in 7.9 but Curtis knows the boat well too and should be a strong competitor. Should be some great racing.

It seems like the weather has broke into the "summer" weather pattern a little earlier than previous years so I would venture to guess that we're looking at 2/3 of light-to-moderate and 1/3 days of solid breeze. Way too early to tell but that's what my prediction is.

24's..... WTF or Toaster

VT's should indeed be strong in 7.9 but Curtis knows the boat well too and should be a strong competitor. Should be some great racing.

It seems like the weather has broke into the "summer" weather pattern a little earlier than previous years so I would venture to guess that we're looking at 2/3 of light-to-moderate and 1/3 days of solid breeze. Way too early to tell but that's what my prediction is.

How the fuck would you know anything if you can't even make a boat call?

Perhaps the "pass out on the boat" instruction is in order. Hard to miss a boat call when you're on it. Unless conscious and functioning is part of the deal. ;)

24's..... WTF or Toaster

How the fuck would you know anything if you can't even make a boat call?

I had to get some venom out the night before to balance myself for the season. I think I am there.

Forecast

light

heavy

light

Almost time for some fun....

Oh and for my money I would never vote against Burden winning there class in this regatta. :P

More like Light, Medium, Light. Subject to change without prior notice. Void where prohibited. Not available in Wisconsin.

LAKE ST CLAIR-

936 AM EDT THU JUN 3 2010

.FRIDAY...VARIABLE WINDS 10 KNOTS OR LESS. PARTLY SUNNY DURING THE

MORNING. MOSTLY CLOUDY DURING THE AFTERNOON. WAVES AROUND 1 FOOT.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...SOUTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 15 KNOTS...TURNING TO SOUTH.

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS LIKELY. WAVES AROUND 1 FOOT.

.SATURDAY...SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 15 KNOTS...TURNING TO WEST...THEN

BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KNOTS OR LESS. PARTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. WAVES AROUND 1 FOOT.

.SUNDAY...VARIABLE WINDS 10 KNOTS OR LESS. PARTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE

OF SHOWERS. WAVES AROUND 1 FOOT.

More like Light, Medium, Light. Subject to change without prior notice. Void where prohibited. Not available in Wisconsin.

LAKE ST CLAIR-

5 to 15 can be considered heavy compared to the last couple of weeks. :P

Bring on the wind!

LAKE ST CLAIR-

5 to 15 can be considered heavy compared to the last couple of weeks. tongue.gif

Bring on the wind!

For the last 3 Saturday races, this is unfortunately too true. They don't call it Lake St Stupid for nothing.

It looks like Lake St. stupid will be up to it's reputation this weekend with the forecasts I am looking at.Good luck to all and I hope you are all on the correct side of all the shifts.And bye the Bye Brad Boston is in Ireland this weekend.But Doyle /Boston sails will still be well represented.

After a classic Lake St. Stoopid morning we actually got 3 races in on the A course - I can't remember that happening on a Friday on A - B and C always get more in. Turned out to be a dam' skippy day on the lake, persistent lefty (with stoopid moments) with wind building from 6k to around 15 for a moment before settling down in the last race.

Sho' beats workin'!!

24's..... WTF or Toaster

Say WHAT about IRC boats running aground

Details

24's..... WTF or Toaster

Say WHAT about IRC boats running aground

Details

i think that was a prediction, not a report.

After a classic Lake St. Stoopid morning we actually got 3 races in on the A course - I can't remember that happening on a Friday on A - B and C always get more in. Turned out to be a dam' skippy day on the lake, persistent lefty (with stoopid moments) with wind building from 6k to around 15 for a moment before settling down in the last race.

Sho' beats workin'!!

Lefty? On B course, we started with the weather mark at 065 in the first race and when the last J-105s rounded the weather mark in the third race, the wind was at 185. Unfortunately, the change mark was set at 160 - it just kept going right.

Lake St. Stupid indeed.

I missed yesterday, can't wait to get out there today. All I gotta say is Expresses on the "B" course? Way to think that through.

Day One Results... Click Here

Huh, based on the reported results, the leader of the Melges 24 class seems to be on quite the ego trip:

Sail# USA 587

Boat Alan Field

Skipper Alan Field

Yacht Club Alan Field

But then again, I guess that could be the reporting.

Day One Results... Click Here

Huh, based on the reported results, the leader of the Melges 24 class seems to be on quite the ego trip:

Sail# USA 587

Boat Alan Field

Skipper Alan Field

Yacht Club Alan Field

But then again, I guess that could be the reporting.

Yeah, like WTF ;)

I missed yesterday, can't wait to get out there today. All I gotta say is Expresses on the "B" course? Way to think that through.

I agree, that is a hike with 2 h.p.

No wind on "B" course until 3:00. Just about had the boat put away and they decided to start. Kudos to the RC. Atleast we got one in even though it hurt us. Just about to pass the leader and found a hole. The "A" game tomorrow.

Anyone have any details? Sure hope everyone is ok.

Man Drives On Dock, Injures Several

Elderly Member At BayView Yacht Club Accidentally Drives On Dock

POSTED: Saturday, June 5, 2010

UPDATED: 10:03 pm EDT June 5, 2010

DETROIT -- According to an employee at Bayview Yacht Club on Detroit's East Side, an elderly member accidentally drove on to the dock and hit four to five people, injuring them all.

It happened shortly after 8 p.m. Saturday.

One person was reported to have very serious injuries. All of the injured are adults.

Bayview Yacht Club is located at 100 Clairepoint Street in Detroit.

No further information was given as police continue to investigate.

I will not disclose names I have heard, but I will say that the driver of the vehicle was stone cold sober and that none of the injuries are life-threatening.

As I'm sure police are still investigating, the only thing I'll add is that what I'm told is that this was entirely a freak accident and that I hope this information will put a halt to the rumor mill.

bad scene - 3-5 peeps got launched off dock into water or boats as car

came from parking spot to ending on dock

one guy pinned under car - no sure how he is by heard critical

3 others taken to hospital

check utube for vid - search under noods 2010 car wreck

vid of truck getting pulled off dock

praying everybody is ok

Just got an update: everyone involved is going to be fine. Very glad to hear there are no serious injuries.

define ok please

I was helping 2 people that both had

neck wraps and were lifted off the ground onto stretchers to

the hospital

another had part of his heal torn off

it was a miracle more weren't hurt

again i hope evrybody is ok and recovers

OK means everyone is expected to make a full recovery and no injuries were life threatening.

Stretchers are standard procedure for anyone with a potential head/neck injury, as I'm sure everyone knows.

I agree that it's great that not more people were hurt. As I wasn't there, I'm relaying information I've received from people I trust and I know have accurate information.

Hope everyone is OK in the real definition of the phrase.

Good to see Z doing well in the M24s.

anybody know how the duck boys did today in t10's?

This says Super Dave is 8-9-7-5, good for 29 points and 5th place in class.

anybody know how the duck boys did today in t10's?

This says Super Dave is 8-9-7-5, good for 29 points and 5th place in class.

thanks ktb... looks like they are keeping the sea rage to a minimum and are still within striking distance of a podium finish

way to go team duck!!!

praying everybody is ok

you wanna know what happened, PM me. I was one of the 8 taken to the hospital and was the luckiest of the bunch with minor injuries. The boat is fucked up as someone was knocked off the dock and onto the boat and pulled out a stanchion on the way.

Everyone seems to be doing ok, at least a majority. We are all lucky to be alive

praying everybody is ok

you wanna know what happened, PM me. I was one of the 8 taken to the hospital and was the luckiest of the bunch with minor injuries. The boat is fucked up as someone was knocked off the dock and onto the boat and pulled out a stanchion on the way.

Everyone seems to be doing ok, at least a majority. We are all lucky to be alive

Glad you're ok, mate. Please let me know if there's anything I can do.

Just got home from the hospital. All but two of the 8 that were brought into the hospital have been released. I was not witness to the accident, so I can not comment on that. All I can say is that there are some serious injuries, but all should recover fine. For a couple, there were some very scary moments. As a friend to all of those that were injured, I want to thank everyone who responded to help them at the scene. The actions of these people saved at least one life tonight. I do not feel at liberty to release names and injuries. I am sure they will come out rather quick. I have spoken personally to all but 1 of the injured and they all seem in good spirits despite their injuries. Please keep them in your prayers for a speedy recovery.

Karl Kuspa

Just got home from the hospital. All but two of the 8 that were brought into the hospital have been released. I was not witness to the accident, so I can not comment on that. All I can say is that there are some serious injuries, but all should recover fine. For a couple, there were some very scary moments. As a friend to all of those that were injured, I want to thank everyone who responded to help them at the scene. The actions of these people saved at least one life tonight. I do not feel at liberty to release names and injuries. I am sure they will come out rather quick. I have spoken personally to all but 1 of the injured and they all seem in good spirits despite their injuries. Please keep them in your prayers for a speedy recovery.

Karl Kuspa

Karl -

Thanks for the update. I was horrified when I saw the video of the SUV being towed off the dock b/t Carinthia and Hot Ticket. I'm sooo very glad that everyone is going to be OK.

Colleen

Ouch. I'm glad nobody was seriously injured.

At first I thought they were using the mast crane to pull it up. (From the thumbnail on YouTube)

Hope all are going to be okay. My prayers are with those who have been injured.

Thoughts and condolences to the family. Sad news.

Police: Dock Crash Could Be Fatal

Man At BayView Yacht Club Drives On Dock

UPDATED: 5:04 pm EDT June 6, 2010

DETROIT -- The Detroit police dive team has recovered the body of a man they say could have died as the result of a an SUV being driven onto a yacht club dock.

Police spokesman John Roach said a 68-year-old man lost control of his Ford SUV around 8 p.m. Saturday evening at the Bayview Yacht Club on the city's east side.

The SUV ended up driving onto a dock, striking two boats and injuring at least five people, Roach said.

Roach said at the time of the incident, witnesses and members reported everyone being accounted for. But he said a woman called Sunday morning to report that her husband hadn't returned from the marina yet.

An underwater search of the area near the crash recovered the body of a man from beneath a boat, Roach said.

The recovered body has not yet been identified.

my thoughts and prayers go out to the family and freinds of the sailor

that was lost.

Thoughts and condolences to the family. Sad news.

Police: Dock Crash Could Be Fatal

Man At BayView Yacht Club Drives On Dock

UPDATED: 5:04 pm EDT June 6, 2010

DETROIT -- The Detroit police dive team has recovered the body of a man they say could have died as the result of a an SUV being driven onto a yacht club dock.

Police spokesman John Roach said a 68-year-old man lost control of his Ford SUV around 8 p.m. Saturday evening at the Bayview Yacht Club on the city's east side.

The SUV ended up driving onto a dock, striking two boats and injuring at least five people, Roach said.

Roach said at the time of the incident, witnesses and members reported everyone being accounted for. But he said a woman called Sunday morning to report that her husband hadn't returned from the marina yet.

An underwater search of the area near the crash recovered the body of a man from beneath a boat, Roach said.

The recovered body has not yet been identified.

God that truly sucks. My condolences to his wife and family, and a speedy recovery to those that were hurt. I can't imagine how the person driving the truck must feel, what a horrible tragic accident.

Just got back from BYC. We had not heard of the fatality until we hit the dock after the races today. Our condolences to the friends and family.

I know the other two injured, and our prayers are with them too.

The victim ius identified on the Free Press site.

Thoughts and prayers to the family and all his friends.

Speedy recovery to all, and condolences to the family of the sailor who didn't return home. Such a terrible tragedy.

I will not disclose names I have heard, but I will say that the driver of the vehicle was stone cold sober and that none of the injuries are life-threatening.

As I'm sure police are still investigating, the only thing I'll add is that what I'm told is that this was entirely a freak accident and that I hope this information will put a halt to the rumor mill.

2 deaths (in 4 years?) is going to make that tough. I like the BYC, the Detroit NOODS, and everything about it... I hope these accidents don't ruin a good/fun event.

The BYC needs to do a dance or something to shed all this bad juju.

My most humble condolences to Mike's family and friends.

To all those involved: My thoughts are with you all and don't hesitate to call if I can be of any help.

Condolences to the friends, family and team mates of Mike Badiendieck.

We all need to do a better job of looking out for each other. What a shitty way to learn this lesson.

2 deaths (in 4 years?) is going to make that tough. I like the BYC, the Detroit NOODS, and everything about it... I hope these accidents don't ruin a good/fun event.

RumBull,

Your compassion is underwhelming.

Nice backhanded slam. You could have waited till next week.

Keep up the good work.

ropetrick

This is awful, just awful. I am so sad to hear about Mike's death and I hope that Chuck B and Lisa M are able to make full and speedy recoveries.

Truly a tragic, freak accident- we all feel a deep loss. My heart goes out to Mike's family, friends and the crew of Carinthia.

Truly tragic stuff. Condolences to Mike's family and friends.

Did anyone see what happened? How did the guy end up hopping the curb?

Truly tragic stuff. Condolences to Mike's family and friends.

you don't pay attention much. I already stated that I was one of the persons hospitalized.

I'm here sitting at home not going to work today or tomorrow because I cannot even put a shoe on my foot. I'm in pain all over unless I sit perfectly still, even on vicodin, and I was the least injured of those sent to the hospital. I can't imagine how everyone else is feeling today.

I was standing on the dock and was hit by the car and knocked 5 ft back and into the water and somehow missed the boat behind me. I do not know if I even saw it coming, I distinctly remember the sound of the throttle floored and then seeing bubbles and swam to the surface. My dad (anarchist TFIO) was near me and he pushed his girlfriend out of the way and his heel was run over by the car and all the skin from his heel was hanging by a flap. He has about 120 stitches holding the skin on. His girlfriend, was knocked back and her shirt caught the ladder and held her from falling/hitting her head on the bow but her knee is messed up.

I don't want to talk about the other injuries because I haven't seen anyone else since the hospital.

I want to thank everyone that was there to help out and want to give a special mention to anarchist FINS. After I climbed out of the water I was walking around the scene drenched from water, barefoot and bleeding from my leg. He grabbed me because I was walking around like a chicken with its head cut off from shock and he got clothes from my car. He also spent a lot of time at the hospital making sure everyone was ok and getting people home.

RumBull,

Keep up the good work.

ropetrick

Slam? Hoping for the best for the event is a slam?.... am I not in the right thread?

Are we not allowed to wish the best for the Detroit NOODS and the BYC? I have to wait a week?

If Villainizing my comments on the state of this event is your way of showing compassion, you're doing a good job.

RumBull,

Keep up the good work.

ropetrick

Slam? Hoping for the best for the event is a slam?.... am I not in the right thread?

Are we not allowed to wish the best for the Detroit NOODS and the BYC? I have to wait a week?

If Villainizing my comments on the state of this event is your way of showing compassion, you're doing a good job.

Here's a quarter, go buy yourself a clue.

The point is that people are dead, lives are forever changed and youre worried about the "state of this event".

My condolences to Mike's family and everyone involved. I hope everyone that was injured makes a full recovery.

Not to change the subject, but does anyone know if dailies were awarded this year?

Zipped - I hope you and your father have a speedy recovery. Freak accident, nothing anyone could do to stop it.

Anyone have an update on Lisa or Chucky's condition?

There is very little room to be able to get out of the way where this accident happened. Below is a google aerial shot of where this happened. For those not familiar with the club, the boat wells on the right hand side of the shot are where the J120s were/accident occured. The SUV was parked directly across from the wells.

">Bayview Yacht Club Aerial Shot

since a pic was posted in the other thread, I'll post some here

4679562066_7fbba10bdf_b.jpg

4678931871_44d5e9ac93_b.jpg

4679562216_5e63faf01d_b.jpg

had the car rolled off the finger dock, I wouldn't be here

RumBull,

Keep up the good work.

ropetrick

Here's a quarter, go buy yourself a clue.

The point is that people are dead, lives are forever changed and youre worried about the "state of this event".

I wasn't aware of multiple deaths.

I wasn't aware of multiple deaths.

I think the "deaths" refer to this accident and the drowning several years ago. So far as is known, this accident is limited to one fatality.

you don't pay attention much. I already stated that I was one of the persons hospitalized.

I'm really glad that you are going to mend, and very sorry for those who are hurt even more seriously, and doleful for the family of Mike.

I'm not sure that any of the injured were in a good position to be able to describe the incident as eyewitnesses. Those who were nearby but NOT injured are probably better able to describe what happened prior to your being hit.

Also, since when is 68 years old "elderly?"

I'd love to know where they got info that the driver had a stroke. If so, wouldn't he have been hospitalized? He wasn't, to my knowledge.

If he indeed didnt have a stroke, what are people's impressions as to what caused this?

Also, im curious as to if the police or EMS considered bringing in divers right away to check for additional victims in the water? It must have been a really chaotic scene...

I was updated on Chuck's condition earlier today.

I was told that he was doing well, has a broken pelvis, a fractured vertebrae and a dislocated hip. He had surgery at detroit receiving and has 4 clamps and a rod holding everything together. They say that he should be moved in 3 days but not sure where yet

Far be it from me to hamper the rampant speculation, but I thought it might be worthwhile to highlight the incredible sportsmanship shown by our favorite train wreck of a class. While finding people to bash the Beneteau 36.7 class is pretty easy to do on Sailing Anarchy, the class showed amazing compassion and sportsmanship following this accident. The skipper of the B36.7, Grizzly, was seriously injured in the accident and remains hospitalized. On Sunday morning the class voted unanimously to award them average points for the races they would miss. Leading the regatta after Saturday's races, Grizzly's average points for both Sunday races allowed them to maintain their lead and retain First place. It would be easy to put competition first, but I think the B36.7 class is to be commended on their actions in light of the circumstances.

MS