• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
razorback

PING!

I realize that most on here live in big cities, and therefore have access to major league baseball. But for those who don't, baseball season hit high gear today. NCAA regionals underway.

My Hogs finally got their big guns back off DL and used them to pound Grambling 19-7. I'm watching New Mexico (who looks pretty good) beat Stanford and having a beer in rare solitude (kids at Grandma's, wife out of town). I'll miss them in a day or so, but right now, this is pretty nice. I know, I know metal bats and thin pitching mean it's not REAL baseball, but if you drop the pretension for just a second, you'll find a fun game to watch. Lots of balls put in play means lots more action. JESUS H CHRIST NM JUST SQUEEZED IN ANOTHER RUN WITH THE BASES LOADED IN THE 9TH! Everybody safe. Sorry about that. Watching, drinking, and posting will get you those little outbursts. Anyway, am I the only one excited about it? Who do you figure ends up in Omaha? Everybody's got Arizona State, Texas, and Virginia as untouchable. The fun is in the next 5 spots. That UCLA region looks tough. LSU was off much of the year, but getting better lately and UC Irvine is usually pretty good. My guys have to go through ASU. At the risk of sounding like a lizard, SEC is really good, as usual, and could be half the CWS field with a little good fortune. What say ye?

Didn't get to watch, but Boy informed me first thing this a.m. his Rebs coasted against St. Johns, tough one against Virginia coming up.

Yep gotta love this shit. Fairly close to local hero Blake Deans at LSU for his last year kinda have to pull for him if Ole Mis falters.

Was sort of hoping for some scrambling in the top 8 to stir up the Super Regionals a bit. But everything going according to seed so far. 13 of the 16 #1 seeds won straight to their finals. None of them out yet.

Florida and The U both cruisin' yesterday Sol. Looking good to get your wish.

Stanford out. Thanks for playing. That region is the most entertaining. They could have a #3-4 seed final.

Ole Miss has a big problem. They've got one great pitcher but they'd be better off with 2-3 good ones. The only chance of beating Virginia is with Pomeranz and they started him Friday so he could pitch twice in the series if needed. It'll be needed if they can get that far.

My guys held serve and should win the regional. But our two MLB first rounders are gimpy. One's got a bad back and the other has a shitty hamstring. Both injuries happened in the past couple of weeks. It's really a shame because we thought they had enough for a deep run, so everybody was all excited. But without them 100%, I can't see getting past Ariz. State. As an aside, I've got to say that the Wash. St. 2nd baseman dominated the game tonight against my guys like I've never seen a 2nd baseman do. He hit a HR and was a FREAK on defense. He turned several sure singles into double plays. I don't remember his name, and he didn't have enough help to win the game, but that guy is awesome.

Go Hogs!

I realize that most on here live in big cities, and therefore have access to major league baseball. But for those who don't, baseball season hit high gear today. NCAA regionals underway.

My Hogs finally got their big guns back off DL and used them to pound Grambling 19-7. I'm watching New Mexico (who looks pretty good) beat Stanford and having a beer in rare solitude (kids at Grandma's, wife out of town). I'll miss them in a day or so, but right now, this is pretty nice. I know, I know metal bats and thin pitching mean it's not REAL baseball, but if you drop the pretension for just a second, you'll find a fun game to watch. Lots of balls put in play means lots more action. JESUS H CHRIST NM JUST SQUEEZED IN ANOTHER RUN WITH THE BASES LOADED IN THE 9TH! Everybody safe. Sorry about that. Watching, drinking, and posting will get you those little outbursts. Anyway, am I the only one excited about it? Who do you figure ends up in Omaha? Everybody's got Arizona State, Texas, and Virginia as untouchable. The fun is in the next 5 spots. That UCLA region looks tough. LSU was off much of the year, but getting better lately and UC Irvine is usually pretty good. My guys have to go through ASU. At the risk of sounding like a lizard, SEC is really good, as usual, and could be half the CWS field with a little good fortune. What say ye?

Gators ranked #4 and playing well look like a lock

UF and FSU in, while Miami has to play tomorrow in an elimination game, thanks to Texas A&M.

SEC looks strong with two teams in the Super Regionals already, three playing tomorrow, maybe four unless Arkansas can continue to rally against WSU to win it tonight. Good stuff.

UF and FSU in, while Miami has to play tomorrow in an elimination game, thanks to Texas A&M.

SEC looks strong with two teams in the Super Regionals already, three playing tomorrow, maybe four unless Arkansas can continue to rally against WSU to win it tonight. Good stuff.

My guys just aren't what they were a month ago, I'm afraid. We've got to win tomorrow to advance. Looks like lots of regional hosts are in the same boat. While I feel good about our chances there, the long term doesn't look good. Obviously I have no idea how serious the injuries are, but it's really obvious that we aren't going to beat ASU in our current state.

Good news on this end is Vandy. Mrs. Razorback is an alum, so that's our secondary team. If by some miracle both they and the Hogs can win tomorrow, we're still all in here.

As an aside, the 2nd baseman for Washington State that I was talking about is Cody Bartlett. He was incredible again tonight. I hope he gets lost between the hotel and Baum Stadium tomorrow afternoon, but that guy is a stud.

My guys just aren't what they were a month ago, I'm afraid. We've got to win tomorrow to advance. Looks like lots of regional hosts are in the same boat. While I feel good about our chances there, the long term doesn't look good. Obviously I have no idea how serious the injuries are, but it's really obvious that we aren't going to beat ASU in our current state.

Good news on this end is Vandy. Mrs. Razorback is an alum, so that's our secondary team. If by some miracle both they and the Hogs can win tomorrow, we're still all in here.

As an aside, the 2nd baseman for Washington State that I was talking about is Cody Bartlett. He was incredible again tonight. I hope he gets lost between the hotel and Baum Stadium tomorrow afternoon, but that guy is a stud.

Busy household for you, with both teams in, though both face tough road trips. A nice field for the Super Regionals, with no real shockers, and three Florida teams in the mix. I love the UM/UF matchup. The Canes always seem to beat the Gators when it counts, so I wanted the Gators to have to break through that to get to the big dance, and got my wish, matchup-wise. Now it's "be careful what you wish for" time.

Busy household for you, with both teams in, though both face tough road trips. A nice field for the Super Regionals, with no real shockers, and three Florida teams in the mix. I love the UM/UF matchup. The Canes always seem to beat the Gators when it counts, so I wanted the Gators to have to break through that to get to the big dance, and got my wish, matchup-wise. Now it's "be careful what you wish for" time.

Yup Canes do seem to have our number. Baseball is the only major sport where the Gators haven't had a national championship (came oh so close against Texas in 2006). Time to get it done!

Yep, pretty good around for now anyway. I actually give Vandy a better shot at the CWS than the Hogs. They are really stumbling in at the end here. Key injuries, suddenly inconsistent pitching, and a general lack of momentum don't bode well for a trip to the desert. A couple of the young role players had a good regional though, so maybe if we can get the big guns aimed again and the young pups stay hot, we can get there.

Supers look really entertaining. No flukes as far as I can see. Everybody looks good. No offense to Ack, but I was hoping for a Bama-Auburn matchup just for the venom in the stands. Gators and the U should be great. Horned Frogs would love to knock out Texas too.

Oh Jesus you know we're going to hear it. Florida's in. Gamecocks, Vandy, Bama just need one.

Hogs embroiled in an extra innings war with ASU as we type. Winner of this super will have earned it. Go Hogs!

And while we're at it, go Horned Frogs!

Ah shit. My boys couldn't overcome multitudinous challenges (some self inflicted) this evening. ASU wins in 12th.

Can't help but think that this super has 2 teams that are better than anybody in several of the others, but that's how it goes. Hogs used too much pitching in a loss to pull it off. We just ran out of gas before the season ended.

As an aside, Razorback Jr's team rolls on. He's 5-5 so far this weekend with 3 games to go. They've won 2 games by a combined 28-3, both mercy-rule shortened to 4 innings.

Ah shit. My boys couldn't overcome multitudinous challenges (some self inflicted) this evening. ASU wins in 12th.

Can't help but think that this super has 2 teams that are better than anybody in several of the others, but that's how it goes. Hogs used too much pitching in a loss to pull it off. We just ran out of gas before the season ended.

As an aside, Razorback Jr's team rolls on. He's 5-5 so far this weekend with 3 games to go. They've won 2 games by a combined 28-3, both mercy-rule shortened to 4 innings.

OK I'm gonna extend the "GO THE FUCKIN' CARDINALS" support for as long as necessarybiggrin.gif

Still hot here RZB, no A/C yet should be here Tuesday, Momma still bitching, plus 2 of my Labs got snakebit, so we've gottem' in house recovering, it just don't quit!

Hey your Hogs ain't done yet! I'll be watchin'

Gators Looking very tough. Baseball is the only sport of note that we haven't won an NC in so I ask you all join me in rooting the Gastors on!!!

No Can Do!

For one good reason, can't be sure "Little Timmy T" won't show up...... and everyone knows.........

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=t48brs4QRjY

OK I'm gonna extend the "GO THE FUCKIN' CARDINALS" support for as long as necessarybiggrin.gif

Still hot here RZB, no A/C yet should be here Tuesday, Momma still bitching, plus 2 of my Labs got snakebit, so we've gottem' in house recovering, it just don't quit!

Hey your Hogs ain't done yet! I'll be watchin'

Thanks for the mojo there bro! Cardinals demolished the field and extended the winning streak to 26 this weekend. Combined score for 5 games: 72-12 We'd really be killing them if it weren't for the mercy rule. Lookthefuckout any 8 year old teams in our way.

Then just a second ago, Brett Eibner sent the super regional into extra innings with a 2 strike, 2 out, bottom of the 9th homer! WOOOOPIGSOOIE! Anybody who likes baseball NOT tuned in to the Arkansas Ariz. State series is missing an absolute classic. 12 innings last night. Starting the 11th tonight.

The biggest copperhead in history got my mutt a couple of years ago. He was miserable for a few days, but he's fine now.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the middle reliever that has thrown about 100 pitches and got us back into the game is a Sylvan Hills boy (our berg). Last year he was practicing on the same field Lil Razorback uses. No matter how it turns out, we're proud of him. Attaboy Bax!

Well dammit! ASU homers in the 12th for the win. Congrats to them and good luck in the CWS. It's a shame we didn't get to play there, but you've got to beat whoever you get paired up with, so be it. It was a great pair of games. Vandy out too. Looks like my focus shifts to slightly smaller players for the foreseeable future.

Groan. Gators and Noles tomorrow. Loser goes home. Crap.

Yep, what looked to be a really fun CWS for local interests a month ago has fizzled. I'll still watch a little, but must admit that my fervor has died.

On the bright side, Lil Razorback and his mates continue their march toward world domination in the 8yo division. One more tourney win this weekend, one more win.

Record for 2010: 40something and 3.

Average runs scored: 13.3

Average runs allowed: 2.4

Average game length: 4 1/2 innings (mercy rule)

National Rank: 12

Keep up the good vibe there, Grabbler. We're kicking ass.

Groan. Gators and Noles tomorrow. Loser goes home. Crap.

Yep, what looked to be a really fun CWS for local interests a month ago has fizzled. I'll still watch a little, but must admit that my fervor has died.

On the bright side, Lil Razorback and his mates continue their march toward world domination in the 8yo division. One more tourney win this weekend, one more win.

Record for 2010: 40something and 3.

Average runs scored: 13.3

Average runs allowed: 2.4

Average game length: 4 1/2 innings (mercy rule)

National Rank: 12

Keep up the good vibe there, Grabbler. We're kicking ass.

Go The Fuckin' Cards!!

Sat and watched the both games last night with the boy (He had 3hr oral surgery yesterday so didn't yell much) UCLA looked pretty good, and with ASU rocking could be an all Pac10 deal by the end I reckon! All the faves gone, FSU kinda local, but really don't see them beating TCU. Games still great, didja see that TCU kid Rivera's catch??:o

I like FSU just cause they have the baseball version of Bobby Bowden coaching in the form of Mike Martin.

And I view them with a jaundiced eye because of what they will do to him when he loses a few...as they did to Bobby.

I like FSU just cause they have the baseball version of Bobby Bowden coaching in the form of Mike Martin.

And I view them with a jaundiced eye because of what they will do to him when he loses a few...as they did to Bobby.

Bobby lost more than "a few".

The air of "Papal Infallibility" surrounded him, but he had lost control of the program and as a figurehead only was losing out in recruiting both state-wide and nationally. The team was never the same after Mark Richt left and the offense was left to Junior, and with Mickey Andrews retiring the D was gonna go downhill fast unless a new order was brought in. IMHOB)

Mike Martin will stand or fall on his own record, getting back to Omaha is a great boost, beating The Gators four out of five this year won't hurt either:)

Irrelevant. Bobby is solely responsible for everything the FSU has in any sport. The money and prestige he brought in entitled him to stay till he keeled over on the sideline if that's what he wanted.

And I hate FSU.

Irrelevant. Bobby is solely responsible for everything the FSU has in any sport. The money and prestige he brought in entitled him to stay till he keeled over on the sideline if that's what he wanted.

And I hate FSU.

Not a Noles fan (or hater) either, and I would agree with you except for one thing, college sports is a business now, and success on the field is the bottom line.

HoooWeee, did I ever get sucked in to the Pac10 koolaid deal! Damned if the Gamecocks didn't put an old fashioned SEC whipping on 'em ASU kids! I stand totally corrected, and Clemson up on the Sooners at this point but still only in the fifth. Gotta love this shit!!!!!

Oh! and a big postscript, Erin Andrews is SMOKIN' HOT!!

Edited by grabbler

I know there's been a shitload of sport "events" going on, but the last two nights of CWS have been unbelievably great entertainment.

TCU's rally against FSU on Wednesday was wild, sat with the boy, and was watching the TCU kids even when they were down, and I told him, to "look how relaxed they are, get ready they're gonna bust it open". Sure enough!!

And that SC Oklahoma game was an absolute beauty last night.

FAAAAARRRRRKKKK ME!!! Did anyone see the Gamecocks comin' on like this!!

Razorback, update on my Cards pleasebiggrin.gif

I hope the Gamecocks can seal the deal. I knew they were pretty good, but my impression was that they were in a group of about 4-6 SEC teams that were really impressive at some time in the season. It was just a matter of which one did it at the right time. Didn't really see this coming, but good for them.

Minor lull before the big storm for the Cards, Grabbler. We hosted a tourney as a fundraiser this weekend that we didn't play in, but our friends on the JV team did win, so we were happy for them. Back to work this week to get ready for the Firecracker Classic this weekend, then State Tourney next week as we go into final approach on operation world domination. Lil Razorback and his buddies took a few days off and are as loose and cocky as Muhammad Ali right now. I just hope they can get focused again for about 3 more weeks but it's going to be tough with strangers stopping us in Wal Mart with "Aren't you on the Cardinals?" No autograph requests yet, but it looks like that's next.

Updates to follow about this time next week.

Alright Grabbler, wake up and pay attention! This thread just switched over to 8 year olds playing pitching machine ball. The state tournament started tonight. 58 teams go in, one comes out. The Cardinals won round one 15-1 without really playing very well. Razorback Jr. is batting 1.000 with 4 RBI.

Updates to follow. Go Cards!

Still on course Grabbler. 18-5 win today. Jr. popped out once, but singled & scored the other 2 AB.

Awesome! Get that lad a knish!

Where can I get knishes in bulk Sol? The boys won 9-1 today. Halfway through the state tounament, we have a cumulative score of 36-7. Go Cards!

RB, sorry, been on The Cape for 10 days of scalloping, fishing, cerveza pounding, night-time bonfires on the beach, no phone, no TV, no computer, NO OIL YET!!!!! Happy to see my mojo is still running strong...........

GO THE FUCKIN' CARDS!!!!!!

RB, sorry, been on The Cape for 10 days of scalloping, fishing, cerveza pounding, night-time bonfires on the beach, no phone, no TV, no computer, NO OIL YET!!!!! Happy to see my mojo is still running strong...........

GO THE FUCKIN' CARDS!!!!!!

No worries man. I didn't know where you were, but knew you'd be along in time for the big event. Hope you enjoyed your really pleasant sounding vacation.

Now back to business. Firstly, I realize that I somehow added 18, 15, and 9 to arrive at an erroneous 36. Obviously the actual beat-down tally is 42-7 for the state tournament and something like a 35 game winning streak. What the hell, if we were smart people I'd be boasting about Jr.'s chess skills. But this is baseball and our little dudes are POUNDING the ball. Secondly, I don't know what a knish is, though I take it that it's desirable. I'm visualizing a doughnut and hoping that loading the boys up with Krispy Kremes will comply with Sol's wishes as well as keep them motivated. Seems to be working so far.

So, everybody blow your vuvuzelas and brush up on your rioting skills. 3 more wins and we're the champs! Go Cards!

Stand down for a day Doghouse. Over 3 inches of rain in an hour have prolonged our foe's misery. Will update tomorrow. Go Cards!

Doghouse, Grabbler, Sol, get your riot supplies together and start drinking. Cards beat Little Rock 12-8, then Monticello 10-1, and advance to the STATE FINALS! That's 32 wins in a row, for those keeping track. It's double elimination, and we are the lone remaining unbeaten, so somebody has to beat us twice to win. GAMETIME TOMORROW IS 19:30 CENTRAL TIME.

FEAR THE BIRD!

FUCKIN' A CARDS!!!!biggrin.gif

They better bust out the shields and Mace 'cause we're in riot mode!

FUCKIN' A CARDS!!!!biggrin.gif

They better bust out the shields and Mace 'cause we're in riot mode!

Attaboy Grabbler, knew we could count on you.

I forgot to mention that Lil Razorback had a bit of an Anarchist moment tonight. He led off an inning by stepping into the box, then calling time and stepping out. He then laid down his bat and turned to the crowd, waving his arms till our supporters were standing and cheering. He then stepped back into the box and poked a single between 3rd and SS, stole second, and scored from there when his buddy smashed a double. That was the first run of a 6 run inning that sealed the deal.

These guys are hilarious. It's like watching 13 Muhammad Alis that happen to be 4'5". I asked him once if he got nervous when he got 2 strikes "Nah, they gotta throw me another one. I'll just hit that." They are utterly convinced that they cannot lose. It will happen someday, but for now, they are pretty tough. The best part is watching these boys have complete confidence and trust in each other. They are truly best friends, without cliques or politics. Every one is thrilled to just be a part of this team, and that's why they are so good.

Attaboy Grabbler, knew we could count on you.

I forgot to mention that Lil Razorback had a bit of an Anarchist moment tonight. He led off an inning by stepping into the box, then calling time and stepping out. He then laid down his bat and turned to the crowd, waving his arms till our supporters were standing and cheering. He then stepped back into the box and poked a single between 3rd and SS, stole second, and scored from there when his buddy smashed a double. That was the first run of a 6 run inning that sealed the deal.

These guys are hilarious. It's like watching 13 Muhammad Alis that happen to be 4'5". I asked him once if he got nervous when he got 2 strikes "Nah, they gotta throw me another one. I'll just hit that." They are utterly convinced that they cannot lose. It will happen someday, but for now, they are pretty tough. The best part is watching these boys have complete confidence and trust in each other. They are truly best friends, without cliques or politics. Every one is thrilled to just be a part of this team, and that's why they are so good.

That is cool as shit! I have every confidence in DA CARDS!

Whilst on the subject of Jr.s gotta tell you the highlight of vacation. Last day, so we head out to the tip of the Cape (Cape San Blas), and we're light line fishing for little Blacktip sharks (catch and release). Towing a chum bag beside the boat, and every now and then one will come up and grab the bag and give it a shake. Grab Jr. says next one that does that I'm grabbing it......Yeh Yeh....Damned if the next one that hits it he grabs it flips it in the boat, you never saw 4 adults start looking for the high ground in a 17' boat faster than that, with a completely out of control 3' Blacktip thrashing around on the deck, he's hanging around my neck with his feet in the air pissing himself laughing, will PM a pic when I get 'em.

Back to reality.......GO THE FUCKIN' CARDS!!

Whilst on the subject of Jr.s gotta tell you the highlight of vacation. Last day, so we head out to the tip of the Cape (Cape San Blas), and we're light line fishing for little Blacktip sharks (catch and release). Towing a chum bag beside the boat, and every now and then one will come up and grab the bag and give it a shake. Grab Jr. says next one that does that I'm grabbing it......Yeh Yeh....Damned if the next one that hits it he grabs it flips it in the boat, you never saw 4 adults start looking for the high ground in a 17' boat faster than that, with a completely out of control 3' Blacktip thrashing around on the deck, he's hanging around my neck with his feet in the air pissing himself laughing, will PM a pic when I get 'em.

Ha! Sounds like he'd fit right in around here.

FYI Lil Razorback's only regret about the whole baseball deal is that it's killed his fishing time. It's the only thing that shares space in his head with baseball. He's heading to Grandma Razorback's house on the river, where he can fish all day, every day, for 2 weeks as soon as the season ends.

Huge crowd, players announced individually, 2 news crews, pretty girl singing the national anthem and

THE CARDS WIN THE TITLE!

14-1 WHEN THE MERCY RULE CUT IT OFF AFTER 4 INNINGS!

Zero errors and these guys are 8 years old! Our boys were incredible. Lil Razorback went 2-3 & him scoring from second was highlighted on statewide TV news. Coach gets the water bucket dumped on his head, kids are jumping and screaming, parents hugging, opposing team & fans were nice, just a truly stunning night.

I'll be watching CNN for riot coverage tomorrow. Go get 'em boys!

RB Great news! Proud of "MY" Cards, glad the Mojo was working so well.

By the way if you think us boys from Oz don't know how to riot like the Motor City boys, look what happens when ya try and close down one of our pubs.... (gets good about 2:30 in)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xrDSh7WWdZs

And here's a link to the background of that riot.... link....that you might find interesting.

Grew up in that era, remember it like yesterday :D

Looking forward to seeing my Cards in the Little League World Series in a coupla years

GO THE FUCKIN" CARDS!!!

BUMP!!

How'd my FUCKIN' CARDS do in NOLA?? :huh:

Just got back last night. The boys were cruising, winning the first 5 games by a combined 60-12. Game 6 was a semifinal and looked to be the same story with us up 11-4 after 3. Then Madisonville LA scored 3 and we popped up twice with runners on 2nd and 3rd to tighten it just a bit at 11-7 after 4. No problem, though. 2-3-4 batters coming up and every one of our first six batters is hitting over .700 for the tourney. Madisonville hit every hole in the field and scored 6 in the 5th! In roughly 70 games, it was the first time anybody hit the run limit on us (there's a 6 run per inning limit at this age). Still no problem, we're just down 13-11. THE UMPIRE ANNOUNCES THAT THE GAME HAS REACHED THE TIME LIMIT AND THIS WILL BE THE FINAL AT BAT! WTF? Regional Semifinal and we don't get to play the whole game? OK, well gotta go hit.

Leadoff pops out, 2nd grounds weakly to SS, 3rd reaches on an error. So it's to Lil Razorback with 2 outs, he's the tying run. He took the first pitch low, then blasted a line drive deep into right-center, where the center fielder makes a diving catch to end the game! DAMN! If that kid doesn't make that catch, it goes to the wall on a big field and we've got the tying run on third at worst. As it is, an absolute perfect storm of events ended our season one game early.

While it's disappointing to lose one that everybody knows you'd normally win, it was a great year and nobody who saw them questions how remarkable these guys were. It's just like a boxing champion getting knocked out with one punch while he's up on all cards. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. Tip of the cap to Madisonville (who turned around and lost to Jonesboro in the final, a team that we had mercy-ruled every time we played them) for catching lightning in a bottle. They never gave up and won an upset that their town will be buzzing about for quite a while.

Now, out with the pitching machine, and in with real pitchers! While licking our wounds at the hotel pool after, the parents soaking up alcohol and the kids screaming and splashing a little less than previous nights, talk turned to Fall Ball and position changes that the transition to real baseball would bring.

We'll be back....

RB settled in and caught some early regional rounds of the LLWS fuckin' Hawaiian kids look tough again :D

Love this shit!

Yep, we've been watching it. PA vs. Toms River tonight was entertaining. My favorite was the TR right fielder trying to look cool and stifle a grin after making a great catch. There's nothing like the pure joy of these boys playing ball.

Our guys just started practice for fall ball and Junior is completely jacked up about it. He got invited to play on the Bombers, with several other of his buddies from the Cards, plus the top players from a couple of rival teams. They all eyed each other suspiciously at the first practice, but after everybody had hit a couple of times and they had thrown "burnout" at one another, they seemed to be settling in. Stand by for updates.

Meanwhile, Go the LLWS!

Good game between Texas and Washington right now, Grabbler.

Runners at 2nd are stealing the catcher's signs. Ha!

These boys are sharp and they go HARD all the time.

Watched those Hawaiian kids again last night.......... TOUGH!

Lived there for coupla years back in the day, they take their ball VERY seriously. If Lil' Razor and "MY FREAKIN" BOMBERS" start on a Williamsport run in a few years time, avoid the Island Boys for as long as possible would be my advice.

Guess they got a rematch against the Georgia kids this arvo to see who takes on Texas.

On a slightly connected note, spent a little time watching some of Clean's Little AC feed, then watching the kids last night wondered just how many more people were watching 13yr. olds play ball........Just Sayin' :P

Hey Grabbler, first tourney, first championship for the Bombers this weekend! Start the win streak counter. We're at 5-0. Final was against the expected state #1, a team who played up an age group all last year in order to prepare for a championship run this year. Their ace was throwing over 60 and had a nasty curve, which is ridiculous to let a 9 year old kid throw. He's awesome but his arm won't make it to high school the way they are using him. He had a no-hitter going till Lil Razorback poked one just past the second baseman, stole second, advanced to third on a sacrifice, scored on a past ball for the first Bomber run. He was BUSTIN HIS ASS around those bases! Really proud of the boy working like that.

Final score 7-4.

GO BOMBERS!

MLB pitchers and catchers start reporting today, and college play starts this weekend, so here's a bump that will no doubt plummet back off the front page unless doghouse, Grabbler or new baseball geek EVK4 notices.

First the 9U Hot Stove updates for Grabbler:

Bombers finish the fall ranked #1 in nation for 9U AA, but that's not as great as it sounds because we should be reclassified to AAA (which is the top classification) when the first spring poll comes out. Looking at power rankings, we'll be #7. Still pretty good.

BUT, as you may have heard, Lil Razorback & his posse are relocating to Cincinnati, meaning that he's a free agent for 2011. Believe it or not, through the miracle of the internet & digital video, he was able to try out for an open spot on a team that plays in the top division for a different sanctioning body (it's like boxing, lots of different champions). That coach called again last night to make sure that he was over his recent bout with the flu, see how school was going, find out if he had a preference on which hats they go with, etc. So that's looking pretty good, but nothing has been signed. Rumor has it that the team is concerned that the unavailability of his precious #9 might be a stumbling block. But a source close to the player tell me he's really just holding out for a personalized bat bag. The only public comment he's made is "I appreciate everything the Cardinal and Bomber nations have done for me, but right now, I've got to do what's best for my family. Little Rock will always be home, but Cincinnati is an exciting place for a ballplayer right now."

(Before you anti-competitive youth sports zealots freak out. I do realize exactly how over-the-top it is for there to be national rankings, cross country recruiting, etc. for 8 year old kids. That's why I went a little tongue in cheek at the end there. All the part about getting set up on a select team via internet is true, though. The coach seems like a good guy, and Jr. really does just love playing good competition. So we'll see.)

So, time for the ceremonial first pitch. To commemorate the link that has always existed with baseball and the entertainment industry, here is pop diva Mariah Carey to do the honors:

Go Reds!

Play Ball!

MLB pitchers and catchers start reporting today, and college play starts this weekend, so here's a bump that will no doubt plummet back off the front page unless doghouse, Grabbler or new baseball geek EVK4 notices.

First the 9U Hot Stove updates for Grabbler:

Bombers finish the fall ranked #1 in nation for 9U AA, but that's not as great as it sounds because we should be reclassified to AAA (which is the top classification) when the first spring poll comes out. Looking at power rankings, we'll be #7. Still pretty good.

BUT, as you may have heard, Lil Razorback & his posse are relocating to Cincinnati, meaning that he's a free agent for 2011. Believe it or not, through the miracle of the internet & digital video, he was able to try out for an open spot on a team that plays in the top division for a different sanctioning body (it's like boxing, lots of different champions). That coach called again last night to make sure that he was over his recent bout with the flu, see how school was going, find out if he had a preference on which hats they go with, etc. So that's looking pretty good, but nothing has been signed. Rumor has it that the team is concerned that the unavailability of his precious #9 might be a stumbling block. But a source close to the player tell me he's really just holding out for a personalized bat bag. The only public comment he's made is "I appreciate everything the Cardinal and Bomber nations have done for me, but right now, I've got to do what's best for my family. Little Rock will always be home, but Cincinnati is an exciting place for a ballplayer right now."

(Before you anti-competitive youth sports zealots freak out. I do realize exactly how over-the-top it is for there to be national rankings, cross country recruiting, etc. for 8 year old kids. That's why I went a little tongue in cheek at the end there. All the part about getting set up on a select team via internet is true, though. The coach seems like a good guy, and Jr. really does just love playing good competition. So we'll see.)

So, time for the ceremonial first pitch. To commemorate the link that has always existed with baseball and the entertainment industry, here is pop diva Mariah Carey to do the honors:

Go Reds!

Play Ball!

Love baseball, wish my son still played. at 14 right after his first season of HS ball, he told me that he wasn't having any fun and hadn't really enjoyed it for 2 years. Miss going to those games, of course he would be a senior this year and probably deciding which college he is going to based on its baseball team (yes I think he was that good) instead he picked out the college of choice based on the availability of a marching band. So I proudly go to see other kids play football, so I can see my son play his trombone (BTW football families, we appreciate the entertainment you provide before and after the band performance).

Now my daughter on the other hand. I can't keep her away from the field. Playing 4 sports this year, down 1 from last. Next year she will be in HS so she will have to cut out track for Softball. She is pitching as much as she can in this weather, trying to master a new change up and a drop curve, plus fooling around with a straight drop. Can't wait to get outside.

RB wondered how long it'd be before you ramped it up again, figured you'd be itchy.

Congrats to Jr. SA "nation turns its lonely eyes to you (woo woo woo)" Will be looking for updates.

Grabs Jr. on his last year of middle school ball, looks like another "rebuilding " year, small country K-12 school, so we get beat up in most sports til they hit JV and High school when they play similar sized schools from outside the district. He's still happy with it, but jonesing for summer when he's headed to Venice to work for these guys :P Hoping to do a Tallahassee run or two and catch the Noles this season, glad we don't have to put up with BG, 'cause those Gators look the goods this year on both sides of the ball :o

This ought to feed the beast for ya......

CB- I have no idea how anybody hits a decent fastpitch pitcher. I've watched 12-14 yo girls practicing around where our teams were and just couldn't believe it. Ridiculous stuff.

Mine are reversed. Jr. (8yo) is in some sort of contest at all times and his sister (11), who is the one with the real athletic talent, doesn't have a competitive bone in her body. Said she wanted to try swim team one summer (I think because a friend was), but didn't want to swim in the races.

me-"So you want to get up early, go to the pool, and pound out grueling laps all summer, but don't want to race?" Her-"Yep"

So she did. I figured once she got into it, she'd want to give the races a shot, but nope. Consistently left the kids winning a pile of ribbons every weekend in her wake & didn't care one whit. That girl gets her stubbornness from Mrs. Razorback. Come to think of it, that goes for her looks and intelligence too, thank God. Good artist and a great kid though.

The boy, on the other hand, is all-in, all the time. Any kind of ballgame is fine with him, but his true loves are baseball and fishing. "I can play ball till I get old like you dad, then I'll just enter Bass tournaments." Grabs Jr.'s gig there would be a dream come true.

Nice touch on the vid, Grabbler. To say I'm getting twitchy is the understatement of the year.

Our move to an MLB city is exciting. I've never lived where there was any kind of pro team before, so we have no MLB allegiance. Moving somewhere and not embracing it seems sort of lame, so ever since we learned that Cincy was in our future, we've followed the Reds (Bengals are going to take more effort. Sorry BJ). REALLY looking forward to seeing some games there.

My Hogs will always be my primary team though (after whoever Jr. is with). We're going up for a weekend series before we leave town. Sounds like they lost more from their recruiting class to the draft than expected, so it might be a little tougher this year. Of local interest is a kid from my HS that is a projected HIGH first round pitcher. Signed with Hogs, but won't ever see a college campus. If he can mature a bit (emotionally, not physically) he's supposed to be the best ever from around here, and that list includes Cliff Lee & AJ Burnett, just lately.

CB- I have no idea how anybody hits a decent fastpitch pitcher. I've watched 12-14 yo girls practicing around where our teams were and just couldn't believe it. Ridiculous stuff.

Mine are reversed. Jr. (8yo) is in some sort of contest at all times and his sister (11), who is the one with the real athletic talent, doesn't have a competitive bone in her body. Said she wanted to try swim team one summer (I think because a friend was), but didn't want to swim in the races.

me-"So you want to get up early, go to the pool, and pound out grueling laps all summer, but don't want to race?" Her-"Yep"

So she did. I figured once she got into it, she'd want to give the races a shot, but nope. Consistently left the kids winning a pile of ribbons every weekend in her wake & didn't care one whit. That girl gets her stubbornness from Mrs. Razorback. Come to think of it, that goes for her looks and intelligence too, thank God. Good artist and a great kid though.

The boy, on the other hand, is all-in, all the time. Any kind of ballgame is fine with him, but his true loves are baseball and fishing. "I can play ball till I get old like you dad, then I'll just enter Bass tournaments." Grabs Jr.'s gig there would be a dream come true.

Nice touch on the vid, Grabbler. To say I'm getting twitchy is the understatement of the year.

Our move to an MLB city is exciting. I've never lived where there was any kind of pro team before, so we have no MLB allegiance. Moving somewhere and not embracing it seems sort of lame, so ever since we learned that Cincy was in our future, we've followed the Reds (Bengals are going to take more effort. Sorry BJ). REALLY looking forward to seeing some games there.

My Hogs will always be my primary team though (after whoever Jr. is with). We're going up for a weekend series before we leave town. Sounds like they lost more from their recruiting class to the draft than expected, so it might be a little tougher this year. Of local interest is a kid from my HS that is a projected HIGH first round pitcher. Signed with Hogs, but won't ever see a college campus. If he can mature a bit (emotionally, not physically) he's supposed to be the best ever from around here, and that list includes Cliff Lee & AJ Burnett, just lately.

Fastpitch opened my eyes. My girl lived on the fastball last year at 12u. But as the years go by the batters get better and you can't rely on a fastball. By the time they are college age a fastball becomes a homerun ball more often then not. If you ever see a college softball game on TV they show the speeds and these girls are throwing 65 MPH (with a release point about 37 feet from the plate) and not a single one is a fastball, every thing moves.

So she is learning 2 different types of drop balls right now, I sit on my bucket to catch her and every now and then she snaps one off with late movement that just about breaks my shin. Been looking on craigslist for used shinguards and chest protector

My son still played a sport, just not baseball. He is a soccer goalkeeper, so instead of playing baseball half the year and soccer the other half, he played soccer about 11 months a year. But he enjoyed every second of it.

RB, has the composite bat ban been extended to the level of play your boy is in?

You asked a short question to get a long answer.

As of RIGHT NOW, everything's still legal both where we play in Arkansas and Ohio. We don't play Little League/Cal Ripken/Dixie etc. anymore. Those are local league teams that form All Star teams to play in events like the LLWS on TV. They have rules about the kids having to live in a defined area and that area has a defined population, etc. The rules of play are tuned more to recreational players (can't lead off, shorter basepaths, smaller fields, etc.) It's a wonderful setup for many, and that's what we did until last fall. But after the Cardinals run last year, Jr. said he didn't want to go back to league play. He likes playing with the more serious players all the time. Five of his teammates felt the same way, so they added some like minded kids from area teams that used to be rivals, and the Bombers were born. They play in tournaments where the teams are really only restricted by age. The kids can come from anywhere. It would take fully 2 1/2 hours to drive across the area that the Bombers came from, for example. So what you get are teams that really are the best that can be assembled from players that age and their rules don't vary a whole lot from college/HS. Every kid on every team would be the star of almost any local league team. His new team in Cincy will be the same kind of deal.

I tell you all that to say that the organizations that sanction these types of teams tend to be less restrictive. So, while LL, Cal Ripken, etc. are pressing to ban composites all the way down, USSSA, AABC, etc. trail in the trend. BUT only the tournaments that count for world series qualifying points are bound to the exact national rulebook. Much like sailing, the locals can modify the race instructions, and tend to do so more the farther you get from the premier events. So, when going to 8 or 10 tournaments through the year, the odds are very good that you'll encounter tournament organizers that favor the more conservative rules. Therefore, Jr. & his teammates all have their favorites in both metal and composite, and in skinny and fat barrels. That's at least 4 different game bats per kid. Some also carry a couple of lengths/weights to adapt to the pitcher, but that usually means last year's outgrown bat just in case they are facing Nolan Ryan and are having a hard time catching up to it. I read the fine print and pull the non-applicable bats out of his bag before every weekend & send an email reminding others to do the same.

2011 will be the most confusing year in this regard due to the unevenness of the rule changes. Colleges have already banned composites, HS has with some exceptions, and all these groups I mentioned will by 2012 or 13, I predict. I think it's a good thing. There's no need for anybody to have to carry a half dozen bats just to stay even with the guys in the other dugout and there is certainly nothing healthy about having 9 year olds hitting missiles at the pitcher from 45' away (in this regard, having a girl pitching fast pitch in HS would scare me to death).

Honestly, even though they are really good hitters for little kids, I don't think they generate the power to really take advantage of the composites until they get a little older (maybe 12). That said, I've thrown a million BP pitches in the past couple of years to probably 2 dozen kids and there are a couple of models that seem notably hotter, no matter who is swinging it, and they are composite. But I suspect it's more of a weight distribution issue than purely materials (the one that sticks in my mind, Combat B1 skinny barrel) is very, very balanced and true to weight. They swing like a lighter bat than most other premium bats which tend to be more end weighted and most kids actually use too heavy of a bat. So, in a roundabout way they fit more kids better, thus better hit balls. Whatever the cause, I've got the scar from 6 stitches in my eyebrow to remind me to duck just a wee bit quicker when the kid has one of those. I'm glad those things will be gone before he gets over 100 lb.

Having reviewed my answer, I understand why non-baseball parents think we're nuts. When I was his age, the whole team shared a couple of bats. Of course his team could have beaten my team when I was 3 years older.

Edit: forgot to add, when he outgrows the composites he has, we won't be getting any more. It's only metal for the new ones. Most of the dads I know are doing similar.

RB, has the composite bat ban been extended to the level of play your boy is in?

You asked a short question to get a long answer.

As of RIGHT NOW, everything's still legal both where we play in Arkansas and Ohio. We don't play Little League/Cal Ripken/Dixie etc. anymore. Those are local league teams that form All Star teams to play in events like the LLWS on TV. They have rules about the kids having to live in a defined area and that area has a defined population, etc. The rules of play are tuned more to recreational players (can't lead off, shorter basepaths, smaller fields, etc.) It's a wonderful setup for many, and that's what we did until last fall. But after the Cardinals run last year, Jr. said he didn't want to go back to league play. He likes playing with the more serious players all the time. Five of his teammates felt the same way, so they added some like minded kids from area teams that used to be rivals, and the Bombers were born. They play in tournaments where the teams are really only restricted by age. The kids can come from anywhere. It would take fully 2 1/2 hours to drive across the area that the Bombers came from, for example. So what you get are teams that really are the best that can be assembled from players that age and their rules don't vary a whole lot from college/HS. Every kid on every team would be the star of almost any local league team. His new team in Cincy will be the same kind of deal.

I tell you all that to say that the organizations that sanction these types of teams tend to be less restrictive. So, while LL, Cal Ripken, etc. are pressing to ban composites all the way down, USSSA, AABC, etc. trail in the trend. BUT only the tournaments that count for world series qualifying points are bound to the exact national rulebook. Much like sailing, the locals can modify the race instructions, and tend to do so more the farther you get from the premier events. So, when going to 8 or 10 tournaments through the year, the odds are very good that you'll encounter tournament organizers that favor the more conservative rules. Therefore, Jr. & his teammates all have their favorites in both metal and composite, and in skinny and fat barrels. That's at least 4 different game bats per kid. Some also carry a couple of lengths/weights to adapt to the pitcher, but that usually means last year's outgrown bat just in case they are facing Nolan Ryan and are having a hard time catching up to it. I read the fine print and pull the non-applicable bats out of his bag before every weekend & send an email reminding others to do the same.

2011 will be the most confusing year in this regard due to the unevenness of the rule changes. Colleges have already banned composites, HS has with some exceptions, and all these groups I mentioned will by 2012 or 13, I predict. I think it's a good thing. There's no need for anybody to have to carry a half dozen bats just to stay even with the guys in the other dugout and there is certainly nothing healthy about having 9 year olds hitting missiles at the pitcher from 45' away (in this regard, having a girl pitching fast pitch in HS would scare me to death).

Honestly, even though they are really good hitters for little kids, I don't think they generate the power to really take advantage of the composites until they get a little older (maybe 12). That said, I've thrown a million BP pitches in the past couple of years to probably 2 dozen kids and there are a couple of models that seem notably hotter, no matter who is swinging it, and they are composite. But I suspect it's more of a weight distribution issue than purely materials (the one that sticks in my mind, Combat B1 skinny barrel) is very, very balanced and true to weight. They swing like a lighter bat than most other premium bats which tend to be more end weighted and most kids actually use too heavy of a bat. So, in a roundabout way they fit more kids better, thus better hit balls. Whatever the cause, I've got the scar from 6 stitches in my eyebrow to remind me to duck just a wee bit quicker when the kid has one of those. I'm glad those things will be gone before he gets over 100 lb.

Having reviewed my answer, I understand why non-baseball parents think we're nuts. When I was his age, the whole team shared a couple of bats. Of course his team could have beaten my team when I was 3 years older.

Edit: forgot to add, when he outgrows the composites he has, we won't be getting any more. It's only metal for the new ones. Most of the dads I know are doing similar.

My son played some travel, and since she was 8 thats all my daughter has played. The amount of equipment some teams carry, as you seem to be aware, is amazing.

When you go all metal, check out the Anderson Bat company. They make some very good bats, and they are all metal. In fastpitch they are one of the preferred bat companies, even over many / most composite bats. http://www.andersonbat.com/

Here is how you you survive as a Fastpitch pitcher's parent. Which BTW when they release the ball they are about 37" from home plate.

GamefacePic.jpg

These are becoming more and more popular, there is talk about making them mandatory in Michigan for pitchers and corner infielders, who in softball are set up way closer then hardball. You get a 3rd baseman digging in at 40 feet on a regular basis.

I remember you posting a picture of that thing before, just had forgotten it was you who did it. We're both on the same page. There's no point in kids getting their faces rearranged when the technology exists to prevent it without affecting play. We play on softball fields quite often, so I'm quite familiar with the dimensions. It just scales out to be more sane when the fastest pitchers are less than 5 feet tall and can't throw much over 50. Putting adult sized bodies on that field with accompanying ball speeds, girls or not, is pretty gnarly. My hat is off to those girls. They've got stones, figuratively speaking.

OK, it's on. NCAA pairings announced: bracket

(this is the spot where my drunken rant about WTF were they thinking giving a regional to UCLA was, but I decided to hold my tongue)

GamefacePic.jpg

I can see a viable market for those things, to fathers whose little darlings are heading out onto the dating scene at a young age....

(this is the spot where my drunken rant about WTF were they thinking giving a regional to UCLA was, but I decided to hold my tongue)

Pretty nice SEC tourney by the team that shall not be named, if I do say so myself. Now off to the real deal!

GamefacePic.jpg

I can see a viable market for those things, to fathers whose little darlings are heading out onto the dating scene at a young age....

Pretty nice SEC tourney by the team that shall not be named, if I do say so myself. Now off to the real deal!

Never thought of that Sol, and I've got just such a little darling at my house!

Yep, the lizards are good. Vandy and the Gamecocks are tough too. All the pitching was in the East this year. Just like football, only opposite. Hogs won the west and would've been lucky to get 4th over there. I married into the Vandy clan, so that's our best shot at it this year. Should be fun!

On a MLB note, I got to watch fellow central-Arkansan Travis Wood pitch a win for our adopted home team Reds last night. Warm night, cold beer, good seats, Mrs. Razorback under my arm and both the piglets whooping it up. Very good day!

Forgot to add, Lil' Razorback has found a spot on a really enjoyable team in the Cincinnati Riverbats. We're not dominant, but not bad. He's pitching & playing center field (cue John Fogerty), hitting 3rd, and loving his teammates. We got our first tourney final win in Dayton two weeks ago and go to Indianapolis this weekend. Go Bats!

CB, you'll notice that our pitchers are at least wearing a helmet. I'm not sure how much it'll really help, it's just a catcher's skull cap, but hopefully it's better than a soft cap. Nothing for the face, but it's progress I suppose. Jr. isn't opposed to a helmet, but he wants one that doesn't shift around during his considerable follow-through. If I can find something more adjustable I'm going to buy a couple for the team. Easton has a thing coming out this fall that is a step in the right direction, but it looks like the top is too open to me. Here's what you see right before the umpire says STRIKE!:

viewexport_20110413_001.JPG

Some good ball this weekend, Gaytor's boys looked the real deal (as he is bragging about elsewhere), Virginia is still rockin', looks like the Noles are gonna cruise into the Super Regional, but best of all, those pesky Bulldogs from State pretty much dominated the Atlanta Regional......

Howzabout some love for the boys as they go up against the Gaytors next week :D

(as he is bragging about elsewhere)

Just having a little fun with the UM Hot Air team. It is obligatory.

Unfortunately for my Bulldogs, he's got plenty to back him up this time (no pun intended......well kinda intended :P), they were brutal against UM in the final. Then again nobody expected State to kick ass in that regional like they did, so for at least a week the dream is alive.

(as he is bragging about elsewhere)

Just having a little fun with the UM Hot Air team. It is obligatory.

Unfortunately for my Bulldogs, he's got plenty to back him up this time (no pun intended......well kinda intended :P), they were brutal against UM in the final. Then again nobody expected State to kick ass in that regional like they did, so for at least a week the dream is alive.

I had to go back to look at the record from the regular season. The series was in Starkville, and UF took it 2-1, so it wasn't a sweep, and was competitive. Gainesville is a hard place to win, but that's the beauty of college ball. Anything can happen. Hopefully, FSU can get the job done tonight, so the Gators won't be the only Florida team moving on to the supers.

Baseball is the only sport of significance in which the Gators have not won a National Championship. Came oh so close in 2006 losing to Texas. That said is't the type of sport where Cal State Fullerton can dominate so maybe it's not worth winning.

In any event Gator Baseball is better than that of those boys in North Cuba :lol:

Hogs out. Ah, rebuilding year anyway. We'll be back.

Casa Razorback secondary team Vandy still in. Should they fall, we'll be rolling back to Mississippi State, since my father-in-law once led them in HR back in the 60's.

Here's a noteworthy tangent-he (my wife's dad) replaced Brooks Robinson at 3rd base on a Little Rock American Legion (or it's equivalent) team when Brooks moved on to a more lucrative assignment.

Back to CWS. Did anybody see Dallas Baptist? I was at a tournament with Jr., so missed all the action, but looking at the brackets, they appear to be quite the story. All they've got to do is beat Cal (who isn't that great) and they are in the CWS. Cool!

What time is it?

GAMETIME!

(GoPro on the head of Logan, smallest guy on the team and head cheerleader)

RB that's classic :lol: nuthin' like a little team spirit. (Why's it always the little guy who's the spark plug on the team??)

BTW dropped Jr. off in Venice last weekend for his summer of working as a mate. First coupla days they tore into the bull Mahi, third day out hit the hat trick: Tuna, Wahoo and this bad boy.......

Jacks1stblueascrew.jpg

BLUE!!!!!!

One of those GoPros would be the trick out there........now that he's a workin' man maybe he oughta buy himself one :P

Good guys lead 11-1

I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am not to be able to see this.....at least I had 4 days to entertain my fantasies :lol:

By the way speaking of nightmares coming true, check out my prescience in my first post of this season