Sign in to follow this  
razorback

PING!

That's the beauty of college ball. Anything can happen. Nice game by the Dogs. Winner tomorrow takes the trip to Omaha.

yup congrats to MSU well played with the walkoff

RB your Commodores still hangin'.......Bulldogs put up a good show against Florida, but just didn't have enough against what really is a good lookin' team all round....Noles come back after their loss SWINGIN'......ought ta be got to see tonight!

Yikes! FSU clearly does not believe in saving some runs for tomorrow.

I had forgotten about the story at Cal. They are the ones that had their program eliminated by budget cuts, then saved by alum bailout if I remember it right. I didn't see any of their SR, but that's a good story. You gotta love it for those guys.

That was an entertaining game 3 in the Gator-Bulldog series. Even the final out was a bomb, just didn't quite get enough. Gators should have a really good shot at the whole thing. In a year where most teams are way down on power, they can mash the ball, really good pitching, good athletes all over the field, just plain tough.

Vandy's in, so we've got that going for us. Lots of big names in this one, especially if FSU and UVA close it out today, should be fun.

Nice fish Grabbler!

I had forgotten about the story at Cal. They are the ones that had their program eliminated by budget cuts, then saved by alum bailout if I remember it right. I didn't see any of their SR, but that's a good story. You gotta love it for those guys.

That was an entertaining game 3 in the Gator-Bulldog series. Even the final out was a bomb, just didn't quite get enough. Gators should have a really good shot at the whole thing. In a year where most teams are way down on power, they can mash the ball, really good pitching, good athletes all over the field, just plain tough.

Vandy's in, so we've got that going for us. Lots of big names in this one, especially if FSU and UVA close it out today, should be fun.

Nice fish Grabbler!

The UF result is the lone bright spot in a positively dismal weekend on every level. Perhaps the Noles can add to that.

Nice fish Grabbler!

The UF result is the lone bright spot in a positively dismal weekend on every level. Perhaps the Noles can add to that.

Happy Monday to you too Sol!

Bracket 1 - UNC, Vandy, Florida, Texas

Yikes! No cupcakes there.

Bracket 2 a little more reasonable, but UVA and the Gamecocks are really, really good too. Good luck to Cal and A&M. You'll need it.

Whoever wins this thing will have earned it.

A local kid signed with South Carolina, he is the #1 rated baseball player in Michigan. He pitched a 1 hitter in the State Semi finals on Friday and his team won the state championship on Saturday.

Longhorns are first to the exit. Wheee! that's fun to say for those of us who grew up in the old SWC. As bad as the sight of that putrid orangy brown makes me want to hurl, I've gotta tip a cap to the tradition there. One helluva team just about every year.

Florida leading Vandy in the pre-championship game, 3-1 in the 6th, but we'll have to wait till tomorrow due to weather.

Beat me to the post! I was rooting for Vandy, but Gator pitching was really, really strong. I figured the Gators went into it with the best shot to win the whole thing and I don't see any reason to change my mind. Hopefully the Commodores can fight off UNC and keep one of the pennants in Jr.'s room in the tourney.

Gamecocks and UVA tonight could be good, but I'll be behind home plate at a Reds/Yankees game with Mrs. Razorback, Lil Razorback, and one of his teammates, so I really can't complain about missing it.

Beat me to the post! I was rooting for Vandy, but Gator pitching was really, really strong. I figured the Gators went into it with the best shot to win the whole thing and I don't see any reason to change my mind. Hopefully the Commodores can fight off UNC and keep one of the pennants in Jr.'s room in the tourney.

Gamecocks and UVA tonight could be good, but I'll be behind home plate at a Reds/Yankees game with Mrs. Razorback, Lil Razorback, and one of his teammates, so I really can't complain about missing it.

Well, it's down to four. Three SEC and one ACC. Both games rematches of the games listed above. Good stuff. Late lunch, early weekend today, with the 2 pm start....

All SEC championship round, with UF and South Carolina. To win, the Gators have to beat the defending champs. That is as it should be. USC is one of the few teams with a winning record against the Gators, taking 2 of 3. I'm guessing that there will be a lot more Cocks fans around here than there usually are, for the next few days....

All SEC championship round, with UF and South Carolina. To win, the Gators have to beat the defending champs. That is as it should be. USC is one of the few teams with a winning record against the Gators, taking 2 of 3. I'm guessing that there will be a lot more Cocks fans around here than there usually are, for the next few days....

Um, NTTAWWT?

Whatever the case, glad to see the SEC was what we thought it was; really, really good at baseball. I'm not sure I've got a big preference between these two. Both great teams, nobody snuck in on a cheap bracket or anything like that. I picked the Gators to win it before the regional's started, and still don't have a reason to think otherwise. Gamecocks have been there and are just plain loaded as well. Should be one helluva series.

I spent the weekend in Louisville watching 9 year olds play baseball and horses run around an oval, so I didn't catch the CWS action. In neither case did my pick win, but it was a big time anyway. Looking forward to the next few nights.

Um, NTTAWWT?

Whatever the case, glad to see the SEC was what we thought it was; really, really good at baseball. I'm not sure I've got a big preference between these two. Both great teams, nobody snuck in on a cheap bracket or anything like that. I picked the Gators to win it before the regional's started, and still don't have a reason to think otherwise. Gamecocks have been there and are just plain loaded as well. Should be one helluva series.

I spent the weekend in Louisville watching 9 year olds play baseball and horses run around an oval, so I didn't catch the CWS action. In neither case did my pick win, but it was a big time anyway. Looking forward to the next few nights.

Awesome game one. Carolina is the defending champion for a reason. They are also up 3-1 on the Gators for the season. They held their own against the best Florida could throw at them, literally, and then won it. I see a runner up for the Gators, here, but this team has a lot of fight in it. I hope they prove me wrong. That game showed us the best that college ball has to offer. While I wish the Florida boys could have won it, I just can't be pissed about it (other than the TWO FRIGGIN THROWING ERRORS on the winning run). Great game. Go Gators.

Um, NTTAWWT?

Awesome game one. Carolina is the defending champion for a reason. They are also up 3-1 on the Gators for the season. They held their own against the best Florida could throw at them, literally, and then won it. I see a runner up for the Gators, here, but this team has a lot of fight in it. I hope they prove me wrong. That game showed us the best that college ball has to offer. While I wish the Florida boys could have won it, I just can't be pissed about it (other than the TWO FRIGGIN THROWING ERRORS on the winning run). Great game. Go Gators.

No Shit! Is there any way we can get this extended into a best of 7? I'm glad I don't care who wins. It's exciting enough as it is.

The outs in the bottom of the ninth after bases loaded/no outs were unreal....Wingo the hero what with his hit in the 8th and then the two stops leading to the outs in the ninth, although not far behind was Beary the catcher with fuckin' great work at the plate, especially that tag bottom of the tenth.

Bring on 1900hrs Central Time....loading up on beer :lol:

Whew! Gamecocks do it again! They just got better and better the closer they got to the end. Really one hell of an impressive performance. Congrats to the Gators on a fine year and a general round of applause for another great CWS. It's a shame this event doesn't get more attention. Absolutely fantastic competition and drama.

Ugh. So close but yet so far. Great job by the Gamecocks at shutting the Gators down so completely. A well deserved second title in a row for Carolina and third in a row for the SEC. Best Gator baseball season ever.

Roth absolutely lights out last night, but reckon it was their defense that won them this CWS, Monday for sure, but still super consistent last night.

RB you're correctamundo about this event not getting anywhere near enough coverage and respect.

The SEC East was even more dominant in College baseball than the SEC West was in football, with Carolina, Florida and Vandy 1-2-3 in the final coaches poll. The state of FL put two in the top ten, and the Canes avoided dropping out of the top 25, to give FL three teams ranked. Not a bad year.

That was fun to watch! I only wish that it was a best-of-5 series at least.

I also don't understand the lack of coverage, hype, and respect for baseball's NCAA Championship.

Omaha is on my list.

That was fun to watch! I only wish that it was a best-of-5 series at least.

I also don't understand the lack of coverage, hype, and respect for baseball's NCAA Championship.

Omaha is on my list.

SC would have just won it tonight. The UF coach had it right; Carolina hit a little bit better, pitched a little bit better, ran the bases a little bit better and played defense a little bit better. That's prolly because they are a better team. Their season record vs UF is 4-1.

That would be fine with me - I cannot get enough of watching the Gators lose!!

Defense and clutch-hitting were key to SC's win. The 2 throwing errors in one play on UF in game 1 was mind-boggling at this level. One thing we learned early-on was to never follow-up a thorwing error with another.

That would be fine with me - I cannot get enough of watching the Gators lose!!Defense and clutch-hitting were key to SC's win. The 2 throwing errors in one play on UF in game 1 was mind-boggling at this level. One thing we learned early-on was to never follow-up a thorwing error with another.

happens so rarely that it must be a special treat.

Props to SC outstanding defense. I think the two errors in game one were the key but even then they were applying great pressure.

That would be fine with me - I cannot get enough of watching the Gators lose!!Defense and clutch-hitting were key to SC's win. The 2 throwing errors in one play on UF in game 1 was mind-boggling at this level. One thing we learned early-on was to never follow-up a thorwing error with another.

happens so rarely that it must be a special treat.

Props to SC outstanding defense. I think the two errors in game one were the key but even then they were applying great pressure.

You almost got it......the key in game 1 was the three outstanding defensive plays.....Wingo to Beary twice bottom of the 9th , then LF to Beary tag (which was just a fuckin' great job by Beary) bottom of the 10th crushed the Gator's spirit as far as I could see. I think the errors in the 11th were a direct result of a team who thought they had a game in the bag, but had a win snatched from them not once, not twice, but thrice.

The SEC East was even more dominant in College baseball than the SEC West was in football, with Carolina, Florida and Vandy 1-2-3 in the final coaches poll. The state of FL put two in the top ten, and the Canes avoided dropping out of the top 25, to give FL three teams ranked. Not a bad year.

You said a mouthful there, but every word of it true. Hard to believe that one half of one conference had that kind of concentration of excellence, but you just can't argue with the results. Incredible year for the SEC East.

JFC!!...spent the weekend watching Miss. State vs. Ole Miss up in Starkeville...first trip to The Leftfield Lounge....what an unbelievable experience....ice cold beers,shrimp, oysters, venison sausage, burgers, mud bugs and did I mention beer.... all while watching some great fuckin' college ball at a jaw droppingly beautiful stadium, for you college ball fans this spot has to go on to your bucket list....

My pic...

IMGP0008.jpg

Not my pic...

520675778_4fba9c8335.jpg

BTW State winning the series 2-1 made for a quiet Grabs Jr. on the trip home to FL. :D

Appreciate the nod, Grabbler.

Hogs, Gators, Gamecocks in from SEC. FSU, Kent St., Stonybrook, UCLA, Arizona in from off somewhere. Lots of great ball players and great stories on that list. The most underrated sporting event of the year is here. Good luck to everybody, and WOOOOO PIG SOOIE!

1335797001[/url]' post='3692978']

JFC!!...spent the weekend watching Miss. State vs. Ole Miss up in Starkeville...first trip to The Leftfield Lounge....what an unbelievable experience....ice cold beers,shrimp, oysters, venison sausage, burgers, mud bugs and did I mention beer.... all while watching some great fuckin' college ball at a jaw droppingly beautiful stadium, for you college ball fans this spot has to go on to your bucket list....

My pic...

IMGP0008.jpg

Not my pic...

520675778_4fba9c8335.jpg

BTW State winning the series 2-1 made for a quiet Grabs Jr. on the trip home to FL. :D

Hey Grabs, did I ever mention my father-in-law was a baseball stud at MSU in the 60's? He's got his name on a few plaques in that stadium. Hogs didn't give baseball scholarships at the time, so he went down there. Lil Razorback has a picture in his room of his grandad and Lance Allworth (Razorback and Chargers football star) holding up trophies for co-player of the tourney at some MidSouth deal. Pretty cool. Larry said Lance was an incredible center fielder.

Appreciate the nod, Grabbler.

Hogs, Gators, Gamecocks in from SEC. FSU, Kent St., Stonybrook, UCLA, Arizona in from off somewhere. Lots of great ball players and great stories on that list. The most underrated sporting event of the year is here. Good luck to everybody, and WOOOOO PIG SOOIE!

A kid from 1 town north of here went to play for the Gamecocks this year. Freshman pitcher. Stud ballplayer, watched him, his brother and sister all play ball (and 2 other sports each) and all got Division 1 scholarships.

No love for my Hogs from the oddsmakers:

College World Series odds (via Bovada)

Florida 5/2

Florida State 3/1

Arizona 4/1

South Carolina 4/1

UCLA 7/1

Stony Brook 15/2

Arkansas 9/1

Kent State 15/1

Can't say I disagree though. They've been living on pitching and defense, but I think in CWS, offensive power usually wins out because nobody has deep enough pitching to dominate through a big tournament weekend. The top half of that list can really rattle the bats. The two Floridas in the final would obviously hold the most interest for the 3 or 4 of you other than me who even know this is on.

Whatever, it's a beautiful summer weekend in Cincinnati and we are wall-to-wall baseball. Riverbats & Reds got it rolling yesterday (Lil Razorback allowed only 2 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs, & struck out 5 while channeling the Cuban Missile in 2 1/3 innings to close last night. Not bad in 10U!). Go Reds, Bats, Hogs!

Good luck RB, may your team do you proud. I am a bit of a Hogs fan myself, after seeing the school choose integrity over tainted success in football.

I hope to face the torturous fate of two FL teams in the final. Both are due for a title. To me, SC is still the champ until proven otherwise.

Whatever, it's a beautiful summer weekend in Cincinnati and we are wall-to-wall baseball. Riverbats & Reds got it rolling yesterday (Lil Razorback allowed only 2 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs, & struck out 5 while channeling the Cuban Missile in 2 1/3 innings to close last night. Not bad in 10U!). Go Reds, Bats, Hogs!

Congrats to little RB and his team. Hope you are having a good season. My daughter plays in her first 18u tourney this weekend (she is 14) so we are a bit nervous and excited to see her play with the big girls. A couple of her teammates are college players. Its going to be an interesting trip.

As I type, it's Arizona up 4-3 in the 12th on FSU. UCLA is loving this one. here's hoping USC & Gators have a similarly exhausting battle tomorrow. The #1 most important thing about the CWS is how many pitchers your next opponent has exhausted.

14 in 18U is a HUGE jump up! Tip of the cap to the Chinalass for attempting that one & good luck to her & her teammates.

It's actually been our toughest season ever, but little RB kept it rolling today. 3-4 including the walk-off RBI single. We had some personnel changes that were tough in the short term, but it looks like we're turning the corner. 3 big wins this week. Add to that the Reds beating the Mets. The force is strong with us right now. GO HOGS!

Thanks for noticing, Sol.

Update: Arizona wins in 12. Great game, but road to the final just got lumpy for FSU.

OK, Hogs put Kent State to bed without a struggle. Gamecocks & Gators up next. I don't care who wins, as long as they burn up a bunch of arms doing it.

Gators can catch a ride to the airport with Stony Brook if they hurry. Kent State 5 UF 4. That #1 ranking was cute.

Hogs & USC in the big boy game In 20 minutes. WPS!

Gators can catch a ride to the airport with Stony Brook if they hurry. Kent State 5 UF 4. That #1 ranking was cute.

Hogs & USC in the big boy game In 20 minutes. WPS!

Yeah, that was fun. I hope your season doesn't hinge on an ump calling strikes a foot outside the plate. Go Noles.

This event just never fails to produce the goods.....just some fantastic ball being played......RB, your Hogs looked good last night.....assuming SC gets by Kent State (obviously not a given like we thought it would be) the rematch should be epic....Sol, the Gators never should have let that game be in the position where a check swing call in the 9th was gonna decide it, a whole lotta talent headed back to Gainesville early....

On the other side of the draw guys I just don't have a clue....any of the three teams left could end up getting thru....fingers crossed its the Noles.... local boys an' all for us.... :P

PLAY BALL!!!

The check swing was ball five, if he could have held back. The pitch before that showed up on the telestrator as a foot outside. But they should know better than to let their games be close enough for the umps to be a factor, that is true.

5 teams left & either Cinderella or the champ goes home tonight. It sort of adds a twist that neither of the 2-0 is a top seed. Assuming USC eliminates KS, both semis would feature the favorite having to beat the underdog twice.

NOLES!!

It just hit me that I'm coming to visit right in the middle of the big one! You pull my Hogs through our side & I'll do what I can for your guys on the other side, then we'll fish on Monday & watch Game 2 of the finals! My Riverbats might have to coach themselves on Tuesday.

Edit: I prefer this FSU baseball video:

Ah well. The two Florida teams that made it to Omaha were treated to an early exit. Two titles in a row is enough. Pigs get fat and Hogs get... uh...that one doesn't work so well here. Go Hogs.

Sorry Sol, we got our share of creative strike zones too. USC gets walk-in winning run on a ball that hit the magic box and 2 of next 6 Hogs called out on balls that missed it by a LOT. Announcers gush over Gamecock resiliency. Methinks they just didn't have an alternative script.

I didn't see the game, but I am still pretty shocked at the quality level of the calls. Nobody is perfect, but this is the CWS. Sucks to have that crap end a season.

Not quite into the Regionals and Super Regionals yet, but some pretty good shit going on in the SEC tourney...Gators one and done...mixed emotions at the RB household I bet with Vandy dropping one but the Hawgs rolling...State a marathon 17 innings against Mizzou, then backing it up with a win over The Gamecocks...I love this time of year...contemplating a roadie next weekend if they get a Regional at Dudy Noble...

Upset city this weekend...top 3 seeds in tourney all go down...one of either #1 NC or LSU will go home after tomorrow...Miss. State Diamond Dawgs are hangin' in there...RB your FIL's gotta be happy!!

I'd love to see a rematch of the SEC championship, but the Gators have no rested, quality pitching left. They're gonna get lit up tomorrow, I am afraid.

For all the money tonight...got no dawg in the fight...but gonna be watching because I just fuckin' love college ball...

Fuck me!... I love this time of year!!!

Me too. I am seriously considering heading over to Gainesville tomorrow, for the S.R. series with the Noles. I'm less than an hour away, and there is no racing at the local dirt track this weekend. I almost have to go.

Fuck me!... I love this time of year!!!

Me too. I am seriously considering heading over to Gainesville tomorrow, for the S.R. series with the Noles. I'm less than an hour away, and there is no racing at the local dirt track this weekend. I almost have to go.

Yes you do...college baseball is as good as it gets...those kids already know if they're gonna move on or if it's their last hurrah, and they are seriously having fun...all you gotta do is watch the smiles on their faces in the dugout...

With the demise of my Mississippi State Bulldogs after a season which far exceeded expectations I am officially jumping on the UCSB wagon ...Go Gauchos!...close friend of mine is an alumnus and claims he got online to book tickets to Omaha while that homer was in the air...what a fuckin' storybook ending...this is why I love this time of year!!!

It all comes down to one game tonight for the Gators. Their ace was, well, their ace last night. Tough year for the SEC so far. Coastal Carolina in Omaha? That's my Cinderella team if the Gators don't make it.

The Trenton Tigers had a .667 AVG. for the season...... Chiefland was the problem...... Sigh.....

Omaha!

Short stay...

Yep. Wrong time to quit hitting and start making stupid mistakes on defense. Those seem to be staples of Gator play in Omaha over the years. No SEC or ACC teams left. Unreal.

Most of the Gator bumper stickers I see are either at eye level (on a mud truck) or crumple into a mass of plastic, and chrome, and Dodge Neon on the back of a flatbed tow truck.

Hard times for my Dawgs in Baton Rouge right now...thought we were gonna steal one last night...meanwhile, looks like the 'Noles may just squeak into OmahaB)...up 18-0 in the 6th...

Great Super Regional with Wake Forest, but the Gators go back to Omaha for the 3rd year in a row.  They once again go there with great pitching but lousy hitting.  Never a good mix for Omaha, but it is a new year....

Quite a series so far.  LSU/UF Championship Series starts Monday, and the Gators have tired pitchers vs. LSU's deeper rotation.  Another SEC Nat'l Champ on the way.