Sign in to follow this  
razorback

PING!

On 6/16/2018 at 8:40 PM, Sol Rosenberg said:

Welcome back. I didn’t even notice the rivalry game with Texas tomorrow. That’s gonna be fun. 

Thank you sir.  That was indeed fun.  Where I come from, beating the hell out of the Longhorns is all the Father’s Day gift any of us need.

Grabbler’s Dawgs just keep doing it too.  Better get a big lead early if you want a chance against them.

TTech might be better than anticipated.  They are handing Singer his ass as I type, and that doesn’t happen often.

1 hour ago, razorback said:

Thank you sir.  That was indeed fun.  Where I come from, beating the hell out of the Longhorns is all the Father’s Day gift any of us need.

Grabbler’s Dawgs just keep doing it too.  Better get a big lead early if you want a chance against them.

TTech might be better than anticipated.  They are handing Singer his ass as I type, and that doesn’t happen often.

Hard to watch the defensive effort. I suspect that may have something to do with Singer’s meltdown in the next inning. TT is a relentless team. They just beat the Gators down. 

12 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Hard to watch the defensive effort. I suspect that may have something to do with Singer’s meltdown in the next inning. TT is a relentless team. They just beat the Gators down. 

Yep.  Gotta start to wonder if the Gators didn’t break into a home run trot a little early this year.  End of the season, everybody was saying “doesn’t matter, they’ll still be #1seed”.  Then SEC tourney “doesn’t matter, still # 1 seed”.  I’m not counting them out at all, too much talent & experience.  But it can be hard to restart if you shut down early.

11 minutes ago, razorback said:

Yep.  Gotta start to wonder if the Gators didn’t break into a home run trot a little early this year.  End of the season, everybody was saying “doesn’t matter, they’ll still be #1seed”.  Then SEC tourney “doesn’t matter, still # 1 seed”.  I’m not counting them out at all, too much talent & experience.  But it can be hard to restart if you shut down early.

It is a very different team from last year.  They have too many guys who are already checked out mentally, for the next level. They will not beat Texas, nor do they deserve to.  Last year, they played error free in Omaha.  Not in any one game, in ALL of them.  Now, playing TT will rattle any defense, but that was atrocious and there was no excuse for it.  

Repeating is hard because there is no sneaking up on anyone; everyone sees you coming.  Couple that with the fact that a #1 seed hasn't won it all since before the turn of the century, if memory serves, and they have quite a bit riding against them. Couple that with what looks to me like a lack of hunger, and it's an itinerary for a short trip.  

Texas Tech sure looks hungry though...even more than Auburn did, and that was a team with a giant chip on its shoulder.  

Can't disagree with any of that Sol, except the part about the Texas game.

My idea about that is going to seem like a distinction without a difference, but stick with me.  I think you'll see what I mean.  I keep hearing the announcers go on and on about how the champion needs to win that first game.  The numbers make that obvious, but I think the reason usually given is too simplistic.  Obviously coming through the losers bracket adds games, and depletes pitching, so everybody just says "used up the pitching" as the reason.  

Here's my take:  Nobody wants to lose game 1, so everybody throws their ace (naturally).  Most of these aces have really gaudy records (Knight at Arkansas 13-0, Singer @ Florida is 12-1 or something like that, etc.)  These teams almost always win when their ace is up.  It's a punch to the head when they don't.  It's disorienting when that isn't happening, and to Sol's point earlier, defense presses, errors happen, bad pitch selection from pressing means unproductive at bats, etc.  So separate and above the obvious attrition of arms, I think the unraveling of team psyche from the unfamiliar situation of an ace not dominating is a significant factor.  Baseball is very much a state of mind sport, and when that which you have always counted on fails, it's naturally disruptive to your state of mind.  The teams that throw their ace and win just get their psyche reinforced and strengthened, while 1st round losers have to get off the mat with the new realization that this isn't going to go according to the plan you visualized.  It's not impossible to overcome, but it would take a very confident, unshakable team.  Texas is a very good team, but they don't have the recent history of success that Florida does.  I'd be surprised if that doesn't translate to Florida shaking off the loss a little better and winning one more, unless they have truly checked out.  But all these guys are super competitive, and I don't expect they'll go that quietly.  I think OSU eliminates the Huskies on the same basis.  

TTech and Hogs could really have some fireworks.  Two offenses that just don't give you a pitch off.  I don't know enough of TTech's bullpen to speak to theirs, but Hogs pitching gets erratic after first 2 guys.  3rd starter has been dominant, and a complete no-show.  Can't tell till you send him out there.  Same with the back end of the bullpen.  On a good night, my boys are very, very hard to beat.  It's just a matter of stringing enough of those nights together.  From what I've seen, TTech has a similar feel and that might make for a classic.  

Grabbler it looks to me like things are going about as well as could be hoped on your side.  MSU & UNC should be a battle.  Lots of momentum on both sides.  Whoever wins will have to deal with OSU again, and I suspect they will be tougher to eradicate than any of the other 1st round losers.  

We've been hoping for a Dawgs & Hogs final here (father in law was MSU 3rd baseman in the '60s) and we've got our fingers crossed.

Dawgs are running on pretty much nuthin' but spirit I think, but after last year's devestating injury toll amongst what coulda been an amazing pitching staff we'll take what we can get...somehow managing to get shit done, and don't forget they swept a cruising UF the last weekend of the season...corny as it sounds, they are the "one game at a time" team...looks like we've gotta wait a day...howzabout these Dudes just for old times sake...:D

will-clark-23-first-baseman-and-rafael-palmeiro-left-fielder-of-the-picture-id458522072.jpg

On 6/18/2018 at 2:11 PM, razorback said:

Can't disagree with any of that Sol, except the part about the Texas game.

My idea about that is going to seem like a distinction without a difference, but stick with me.  I think you'll see what I mean.  I keep hearing the announcers go on and on about how the champion needs to win that first game.  The numbers make that obvious, but I think the reason usually given is too simplistic.  Obviously coming through the losers bracket adds games, and depletes pitching, so everybody just says "used up the pitching" as the reason.  

Here's my take:  Nobody wants to lose game 1, so everybody throws their ace (naturally).  Most of these aces have really gaudy records (Knight at Arkansas 13-0, Singer @ Florida is 12-1 or something like that, etc.)  These teams almost always win when their ace is up.  It's a punch to the head when they don't.  It's disorienting when that isn't happening, and to Sol's point earlier, defense presses, errors happen, bad pitch selection from pressing means unproductive at bats, etc.  So separate and above the obvious attrition of arms, I think the unraveling of team psyche from the unfamiliar situation of an ace not dominating is a significant factor.  Baseball is very much a state of mind sport, and when that which you have always counted on fails, it's naturally disruptive to your state of mind.  The teams that throw their ace and win just get their psyche reinforced and strengthened, while 1st round losers have to get off the mat with the new realization that this isn't going to go according to the plan you visualized.  It's not impossible to overcome, but it would take a very confident, unshakable team.  Texas is a very good team, but they don't have the recent history of success that Florida does.  I'd be surprised if that doesn't translate to Florida shaking off the loss a little better and winning one more, unless they have truly checked out.  But all these guys are super competitive, and I don't expect they'll go that quietly.  I think OSU eliminates the Huskies on the same basis.  

TTech and Hogs could really have some fireworks.  Two offenses that just don't give you a pitch off.  I don't know enough of TTech's bullpen to speak to theirs, but Hogs pitching gets erratic after first 2 guys.  3rd starter has been dominant, and a complete no-show.  Can't tell till you send him out there.  Same with the back end of the bullpen.  On a good night, my boys are very, very hard to beat.  It's just a matter of stringing enough of those nights together.  From what I've seen, TTech has a similar feel and that might make for a classic.  

Grabbler it looks to me like things are going about as well as could be hoped on your side.  MSU & UNC should be a battle.  Lots of momentum on both sides.  Whoever wins will have to deal with OSU again, and I suspect they will be tougher to eradicate than any of the other 1st round losers.  

We've been hoping for a Dawgs & Hogs final here (father in law was MSU 3rd baseman in the '60s) and we've got our fingers crossed.

You were right about UF/UT.  Kowar is amazing when he is "on", and yesterday he surely was on, which he has not been for some time.  He did not need much help, but he got it.  Today's game should be a good one.  It's a shame to see the SEC vs SEC matchups whittling the field down, but such is life.