Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SailMedic

Longtime Bayview Yacht Club (Detroit) Sailor Dies in Freak Accident

Very sad and tragic, my condolences to the family.

Condolences to Mike's family and the whole crew. Sad situation for all involved.

Before all you trolls go off on drunk drivers,the driver of the SUV was not drunk and not driving a Toyota.

Apparently the bow is still the most dengerous place to be on a boat, even a 120. So sad all around..

Damn!

Best wishes to the family very sad news.

You hook a curb have a steering wheel yanked out of your hand - gut reaction smash your foot down on a pedal any pedal the wrong one and you have an out of control 4000lb vehicle in a split second.

Holy Crap!!

bayview_yacht_20100607101609_320_24.jpg

Holy crap is right. Those docks are very, very narrow. Triangular in shape, they're barely wide enough for two people to stand next to each other at the base, barely a foot wide at the end. To get there, that car had to jump the curb in the parking lot/driveway, go down a short but steep grassy slope, and cross the main dock (bottom left corner of the photo). I can't fathom how it could have happened. I sent the link to my dad who is a member to see if he knows anything more.

Scary to think about...sad for all involved. :(

Holy Crap!!

bayview_yacht_20100607101609_320_24.jpg

Holy crap is right. Those docks are very, very narrow. Triangular in shape, they're barely wide enough for two people to stand next to each other at the base, barely a foot wide at the end. To get there, that car had to jump the curb in the parking lot/driveway, go down a short but steep grassy slope, and cross the main dock (bottom left corner of the photo). I can't fathom how it could have happened. I sent the link to my dad who is a member to see if he knows anything more.

Scary to think about...sad for all involved. :(

It happened at the J120 docks just south of Gregory, not at the docks by the showers/condo closer to the clubhouse. No grassy slope, and a much narrower main dock. There is a lot more about this in the Detroit NOOD thread.

Damn!

Best wishes to the family very sad news.

You hook a curb have a steering wheel yanked out of your hand - gut reaction smash your foot down on a pedal any pedal the wrong one and you have an out of control 4000lb vehicle in a split second.

That is not how this happened. Please spare the conjecture.

Condolences to this sailor's family, friends,

crewmates, byc sailing community --

And may all injured parties get well and recover in all

the ways needed at this time - seems like

beyond the obvious physical injuries, there

is 'trauma' to reconcile ... and a bit of an

after 'shock' because of the fatality.

xo, you guys ~ be well

You are a very strong and close-knit

community & are lucky to be there

for each other!

Bella