Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kwelch

2011 Van Isle 360 Cancelled?

Rumor has it that the Van Isle 360 won't be running in 2011?

Wayne and crew have been doing this for a long time and probably would like to pass the baton - plus I am sure it is getting more difficult to attract sponsors to this wonderful event.

Anyone out there have any ideas?

If it is true have them give me a call. Maybe a Joint WIRW and Van Isle 360 would be good for sponsorship packages. I might want to carry the torch.

We have a coalition of racers, perhaps after discussion with Wayne and Jannine we should approach a Vancouver Island Yacht Club to see if they would take it on.

Ian Lloyd

Fancy Free

We would be willing to assist in whatever way makes sense given that we're Calgary-based. This is a race we'd already planned our next summer around. It's the best event going on the west coast and we should as a group move heaven and earth to ensure its continued viability.

Regards,

Christopher Lemke

Beneteau First 36.7 JAZ

I was kind of planing on going around anyways, so would be able to help out also

We would be willing to assist in whatever way makes sense given that we're Calgary-based. This is a race we'd already planned our next summer around. It's the best event going on the west coast and we should as a group move heaven and earth to ensure its continued viability.

Regards,

Christopher Lemke

Beneteau First 36.7 JAZ

+1..........

As a sailing community we need to keep this event alive! Was already prepping the wife that I might be away for a few weeks next summer.......

I would think that RVYC might take this over and make it part of what they do along with the Vic Maui, being that they alternate years!

As someone that hasn't done the race yet, what were the average costs per boat to do the race ( just entry fee ).

CdM

I was kind of planing on going around anyways, so would be able to help out also

:lol:

Let's hope rumours of the demise are greatly exagerated. Next summer would make number five for me...

This is a great event which takes a lot of work to organize and run. The team that runs it is awesome. After each race they have to catch their breath and decide whether or not to do it again. The 2009 race was uncertain until about Feb-Mar 2009 when enough racers stepped forward and committed, so it may be a similar situation for 2011.

Kinetic would like to make it four in a row in 2011.

White Cloud has it penciled in as well, for Number 4 (or is it 5?) with some thought to having an improved economy by then.

So much hard work rewarded with so much fun.

Icon would like to participate in this event next summer - hopefully we can either 1) get Wayne to run it again; or 2) find another group who could do it. Jibeset would be a good candidate to do this in conjunction with WIRW, although given all the local logistics required it might be good to get a Vancouver Island Yacht Club involved...

This is much too good an event to simply let it die...

post-22468-127740506954_thumb.jpg

If boats would just register early instead of last minute all the time organizers would be able to make these decisions a lot easier. I know first hand.

If boats would just register early instead of last minute all the time organizers would be able to make these decisions a lot easier. I know first hand.

Point well taken (PS - I recently mailed in my WIRW entry), however in this case I suspect the organizers have done this event for many years and need a break. If registration was open even now I think people would start signing up (as and FYI, I can help in this area if needed)...

If the issue is finding out number of boats that would go - how about an early registration - with a refundable deposit if the event does not occur?? That would provide organizers the ability to go to potential sponsors, and also the stops along the way, and say "we have 40 or so boats looking for an event, want to participate" ???

On the other hand it is a huge time commitment for Wayne and Janine which we all have apreciated very much!!!!

I see that the Vic Maui race starting next week only has 9 entries? What is going on with offshore racing out here?

I see that the Vic Maui race starting next week only has 9 entries? What is going on with offshore racing out here?

I've done both Vic Maui and Pac Cup on boats owned by someone else. Did the last VI360 on our own boat. One of the big things this race has going for it is the fact that we finish where we start. That makes it a lot more attractive to keep doing over and over once the boat's been brought up to spec for the first one. Love the trans-pacific races and sure hope they don't fade away but the VI360 is a 2-3 week chunk away from home vs a couple of months. All the more reason to keep it going!

JAZ would be willing to commit early for sure.

We have been wanting to do another Van Isle on Kahuna... our experience in 2003 was great.

I think an early bird registration/ deposit that locked in a spot at a slight discount but was refundable if the race didn't happen would be attractive.

It's official - I just got an e-mail from Janine & Wayne looking for someone to take this event over. Now the hard part starts - trying to find someone or some entity to step in! Any thoughts?

We need to get something in place by year end if we are going to get on people's racing schedule next year!

There's no place to go and its friggin' cold and pretty much too much or too little wind.

If somebody would get the Pacific to grow an island a couple hundred miles off shore, turn up the thermostat and get the breeze to behave, we might get something going.

There's no lace to go and its friggin' cold and pretty much too much or too little wind.

If somebody would get the Pacific to grow an island a couple hundred miles off shore, turn up the thermostat and get the breeze to behave, we might get something going.

Sign me up to help keep this amazing event going.

It's official - I just got an e-mail from Janine & Wayne looking for someone to take this event over. Now the hard part starts - trying to find someone or some entity to step in! Any thoughts?

We need to get something in place by year end if we are going to get on people's racing schedule next year!

I chatted with Wayne at Swiftsure last month and he was looking for someone else to run the event next time. He has had a few nibbles from some folks, but no firm commitments yet. I'm sure that there are a lot of people willing to help run the races, but the rest of the event needs help, too. There is a ton of coordination between the race and the local communities around the island that need to be set up (which means there needs to be a local person to help).

This is a great event and I have had a lot of fun on the last two and hope to go again. But I understand why Wayne is reluctant to run it again. I hope that someone can be found to run it next year.

JM

Perhaps a consortium of Vancouver Island yacht clubs (Royal Vic, Nanaimo, Comox) could lead the effort with help from Royal Van and West Van since a lot of boats doing the event come from those clubs. Agree with Jollymon that there's a lot of local coordination needed with the local communities where each leg stops, and probably best done by someone living on the island.

What a shame it would be to let this very special race die. It's an amazing experience, which offers up some challenging and exciting sailing in such a beautiful part of the world. All who have done it, can attest to how excellent it is.

I was planning on doing my fifth one next year ...always one less time than TPSM .... lol

I don't have a lot of time to spare, but would offer up whatever help I could, to make it work out again.

Wayne and Janine have done such an incredible job, that their shoes seem impossible to fill.

I've been talking this up at the Nanaimo Yacht Club when I can, hoping that maybe NYC could take it on. There are quite a few people in NYC who have helped with the VI360 in the past. The problem is that Wayne and Jeanine's decision not to organize the race for 2011 coincides with the decision at NYC to make the SIN regatta an annual event again.

I suspect that NYC will not be solving this problem, but never say never.

Ideally a Vancouver Island club would step in since working with local towns is such a large part of this event. What about RVic?

A couple of ideas are starting to surface regarding the 2011 van Isle 360 - here are a couple:

1 - setup a non-profit organization to take over the event as it is and use a mixture of hired & volunteer people to run it. Most registration fees would be tax deductible. This corporation would be run by a board of directors selected from interested participants.

2 - get a yacht club to run the event using their infrastructure. The only club thus far expressing any interest is the Anacortes Yacht Club (AYC). In order for this event to make sense for AYC they would likely want a US component in the event (say dropping French Creek and making Anacortes the start & stop of the event). A non-profit corporation could also be used with this alternative making most fees tax deductible. I fully understand that many may not like this idea, but then get a Canadian club to step up to the plate.

3 - run the entire event as a grass-roots cooperative with minimal infrastructure, with no advertising & PR - perhaps much more like it was when it started. It would be like a bunch of friends sailing around the island taking their own times.

For any of these alternatives to work Wayne & Jeanine have to be on board and be willing and/or consent to it happening.

Chime in - if we as a sailing community are going to pull this off we need to do so very soon as people are making their sailing schedules for next season...

Personally, I think if AYC is able and willing to step up and take over the event, more power to them............as at this point, it might die otherwise!

I think that the event with the right people in place, could and should be as big or bigger than Swiftsure, and rival major west coast events like the PAC CUP and TRANSPAC (obviously totally different events, but one's that draw many boats from around the world to attend.)

So would the final leg need to end in Anacortes under the AYC proposal? The leg from Victoria to Naniamo is pretty special so I would think most would want that one to stay.........

How do the Canadians feel about this?

can't speak for all canadians, but this particular one is not opposed to a few new ports on the way 'round the island. might actually be a refreshing change if we can make it work with leg lengths etc. seems like there's more flexibility at the southern end anyway. there's no reason you couldn't do an overnighter out of anacortes to nanaimo, for instance.

anyone else got thoughts?

I agree completely that the final leg from Victoria to Naniamo is pretty special - however, if AYC were to sponsor this event they would likely want the event to start and end in Anacortes. In thinking outside the box, if this were the case the legs could be like:

1 - Anacortes to Bedwell (any way, clear customs in Bedwell)

2 - Bedwell to Naniamo (any way)

3 - Naniamo to Campbell River

4 - Campbell River (Deepwater Bay) to Telegraph Cove

5 - Telegraph to Port Hardy

6 - Port Hardy to Winter Harbor

7 - Winter Harbor to Hot Springs Cove

8 - Hot Springs Cove to Ucluelet

9 - Ucluelet to Victoria

10 Victoria to Anacortes (any way, clear customs in Anacortes)

Several people have asked for a stop between Winter Harbor & Ucluelet - Hot Springs seems a logical place. Also, Bedwell (Poets Cove) is a neat stopping place and a favorite with my crew. Anyway, this would be something to discuss...

I think that Nanaimo Yacht Club has had plenty of time to step up to the plate. If another club takes it over at this point, I don't think NYC will be feel the least bit slighted. I can't speak officially for NYC but sailors at the club have been aware of this situation for some time and as far as I know there is no movement within the club to take this on.

If there is another club out there in the PNW, whether on Vancouver Island or elsewhere, with the desire and resources to make this happen, go for it. Yes, getting Wayne and Jeanine's blessing first would be the right thing to do.

dash

I agree completely that the final leg from Victoria to Naniamo is pretty special - however, if AYC were to sponsor this event they would likely want the event to start and end in Anacortes. In thinking outside the box, if this were the case the legs could be like:

9 - Ucluelet to Victoria

Several people have asked for a stop between Winter Harbor & Ucluelet - Hot Springs seems a logical place. Also, Bedwell (Poets Cove) is a neat stopping place and a favorite with my crew. Anyway, this would be something to discuss...

ha! can't wait for leg 4 as proposed. last time we logged 52 tacks from CR to the fish farm and 70 the next leg. if any of you deck apes from jaz are reading this, better hit the gym. like, now.

This would be a great event for the NYC to pick up, but from everything I have heard they are busy with other events.

Regarding the sample legs - the shortest would be from Telegraph to Port Hardy. Anacortes to Bedwell would be an interesting race (many course choices). Victoria to Anacortes would be fun with a nice westerly. Campbell River to Telegraph would be a long one as well, but that is what we have gyms for. I am not sure many would object to not stopping at the fish farm (even though they were very hospitable). The Hot Springs cove stopover, while not accessible by car, would likely be a crew favorite...

Any other thoughts out there...

... Most registration fees would be tax deductible.

... A non-profit corporation could also be used with this alternative making most fees tax deductible.

Stepping away from the important stuff about this race for a moment, it is very unlikely that most fees will be tax deductible. Donations to charities or non-profits where you don't get something in return are deductible, some of the time. In this case, the people paying the fees would be receiving significant value (i.e. the race entry) in return for the fees. It's very difficult (in the way the Japanese use this expression) to get deductibility when you are receiving significant value in return.

And when someone thinks they have that issue solved, then the next issue is: tax-deductible for who? US taxpayers, or Canadian taxpayers. Not likely to be both, without an unwieldy structure involving qualifying legal entities in both countries.

I'll be very happy when there is a solution that keeps this great event alive. Hopefully most of the focus and creativity gets put on the main objective of keeping the event alive, and not on distractions like trying to finagle tax deductibility for entry fees.

9 - Ucluelet to Victoria

Here is a thought or two. FWIW I'm not a member of any of the yacht clubs I am about to mention--I'm just happily spending other members' money...

Given that RVYC has partnered with Lahaina for the Vic-Maui race, and given the declining interest in that race, perhaps thought should be given to partnering with a different YC and supporting a race that is unique to this area. AYC, for example--but hey--who says it can't be one of the Seattle Clubs? The Salish Sea International Race? One can enter any number of events to Hawaii--but there is only one race like VanIsle. Would it be a draw to bring boats from California north? Show up for Swiftsure, leave the boat for VanIsle? Hmmm.

Anyway, who says the race has to start and end in the same place?

1 - Vancouver to Bedwell (Any way. Hands up who wants to go through Georgeson Passage in the dark. What--no hands?)

2 - Bedwell to Nanaimo (Any way)

3 - Nanaimo to Campbell River

9 - Ucluelet to Victoria

10 Victoria to Anacortes (Any way, clear customs in Anacortes)

One advantage is that you only have to worry about those pesky customs and immigration guys once while in race mode. Won't be much fruit left by Leg 10 anyway, I would guess...

Just a thought. Flame away.

This would be a great event for the NYC to pick up, but from everything I have heard they are busy with other events.

Regarding the sample legs - the shortest would be from Telegraph to Port Hardy. Anacortes to Bedwell would be an interesting race (many course choices). Victoria to Anacortes would be fun with a nice westerly. Campbell River to Telegraph would be a long one as well, but that is what we have gyms for. I am not sure many would object to not stopping at the fish farm (even though they were very hospitable). The Hot Springs cove stopover, while not accessible by car, would likely be a crew favorite...

My vote would be either Royal Vic or Maple Bay, or long shot Royal Van. Royal Vic and Royal Van have the financial clout to do it possibly without even much in the way of sponsors. Maple Bay has absolutely the nicest venue for both the start and finish events. Royal Van has been needing a signature distance race for decades since the Round Texada race died. I don't know much about Comox - is there a substantial organization there? Hey what about Saltspring Island or Sidney North Saanich?

I'm an NYC member so no conflict of interest!

Having said all this, the event was organized by just two people in the past. Mind you, they are pretty special people. ;-)

Anacortes doesn't make much sense to me. It is pretty out of the way for the VI 360. Then there are the border crossing issues. Good thought but no.

Tim

My vote would be either Royal Vic or Maple Bay, or long shot Royal Van. Royal Vic and Royal Van have the financial clout to do it possibly without even much in the way of sponsors. Maple Bay has absolutely the nicest venue for both the start and finish events. Royal Van has been needing a signature distance race for decades since the Round Texada race died. I don't know much about Comox - is there a substantial organization there? Hey what about Saltspring Island or Sidney North Saanich?

Having said all this, the event was organized by just two people in the past. Mind you, they are pretty special people. ;-)

Anacortes doesn't make much sense to me. It is pretty out of the way for the VI 360. Then there are the border crossing issues. Good thought but no.

Tim

ideally it would be a race wholly in canadian waters, but if AYC were to step up and an american stop was the price of admission, well, we'd be willing to put up with it.

we did LOWISA on lake of the woods a couple of years ago, and it's kind of the same - a week-long point to point race with a stop in the USA. problem there was that the nearest border check-in was a 30-minute powerboat ride from the fishing camp where the leg ended. they organized 5 or 6 powerboats to ferry the 100-odd skippers back and forth over a 4 hour period to check in at a telephone somewhere in the minnesota bush. now that's a monumental pain in the ass. but they made it work.

so long as there's a customs facility at the ports we're actually putting into, we'd consider ourselves ahead of the game...

9 - Ucluelet to Victoria

I'm up for any suggestions, including AYC.

What it takes however is not a YC. What it takes is people within any YC. People who are going to put a whole lot of time and energy and probably need to be compensated.

(The Deepwater to Telegraph Cove leg is really a stretch. Could easily turn into an overnight. The fish farm raft up is fine. Fun actually. And I think the Winter Harbor - Ucluelet leg is fine...but there is a need to adjust the scoring system to not reward tactical withdrawals)

Tim

ideally it would be a race wholly in canadian waters, but if AYC were to step up and an american stop was the price of admission, well, we'd be willing to put up with it.

we did LOWISA on lake of the woods a couple of years ago, and it's kind of the same - a week-long point to point race with a stop in the USA. problem there was that the nearest border check-in was a 30-minute powerboat ride from the fishing camp where the leg ended. they organized 5 or 6 powerboats to ferry the 100-odd skippers back and forth over a 4 hour period to check in at a telephone somewhere in the minnesota bush. now that's a monumental pain in the ass. but they made it work.

so long as there's a customs facility at the ports we're actually putting into, we'd consider ourselves ahead of the game...

I agree that having international legs makes things more complicated, but in this case there is a customs facility at the dock in both Bedwell and Anacortes. As far as rounding up people to make this event happen, this as several have mentioned is a critical part of making the event a success. If AYC were to take the event on they would likely want it to start & stop in Anacortes, plus they would look to hire someone to do the leg work on Vancouver Island. Several qualified people have already expressed interest.

As far as the legal structure & tax deductibility issue is concerned, I have spoken with a tax-attorney and this is a solvable problem and there are legal entities already in place on both sides of the border that could handle this. The issue of deductibility isn't a big one as there are many other non-profit organizations which provide donors with substantial intangible benefit & pleasure. This being said, if AYC were to sponsor this event it would likely be run using their existing legal structure (which is a for-profit private club). Ideally some of the Canadian clubs would step forward, but none are showing any interest at this point.

One other item - what about changing the scoring system. Many have complained about the "tactical withdrawals", but at the same time there should be safeguards to prevent boats pushing too hard in adverse conditions. Is there a "middle ground" that would balance things out.

As one of the few finishers of Winter Harbor to Ucluelet leg during the last van Isle, this is a particularly important issue for my crew!

One other item - what about changing the scoring system. Many have complained about the "tactical withdrawals", but at the same time there should be safeguards to prevent boats pushing too hard in adverse conditions. Is there a "middle ground" that would balance things out.

As one of the few finishers of Winter Harbor to Ucluelet leg during the last van Isle, this is a particularly important issue for my crew!

This is a very easy, simple change. It was suggested following the 2007 race where the same issue arose on the Ucluelet to Victoria leg, but unfortunately the change was not adopted in time for the 2009 race.

Take the paragraph in the SI's that causes an automatic abandonment of a leg when 50% of a division retires, and add a phrase that makes such an abandonment subject to the RC's determination that conditions are heavy weather.

This allows competitor-driven abandoment of a leg due to heavy weather, and prevents competitor-driven abandonment in light air or other conditions. Beyond this provision, the RC itself (not the comptetitors) always retains the authority to abandon when it sees fit (RRS 27.3, 32.1).

This makes sense and as you say is an easy change. If the event goes forward hopefully it can be worked in...

What about the various leg weights - some have argued that weighting the outside legs higher gives a benefit to the bigger/faster boats in the overall race! Any suggestions?

This makes sense and as you say is an easy change. If the event goes forward hopefully it can be worked in...

What about the various leg weights - some have argued that weighting the outside legs higher gives a benefit to the bigger/faster boats in the overall race! Any suggestions?

Weight the legs all the same. Allow one throw out.

...but there is a need to adjust the scoring system to not reward tactical withdrawals)

The accusation of boats making "tactical withdrawals" is fallacious and insulting.

...but there is a need to adjust the scoring system to not reward tactical withdrawals)

The accusation of boats making "tactical withdrawals" is fallacious and insulting.

Is it? Seems to be a pretty popular sentiment...

Is it? Seems to be a pretty popular sentiment...

But wrong.

For some maybe, but certainly not all...

This isn't really the time or place to get into a discussion about whether strategic withdrawls happened or not.

It was a concern that was brought up in this thread and elsewhere and dealt with rather elegantly by Cirdan.

Agreed that it's fairly essential to have a small team of very dedicated (and likely compensated) people to get this thing rolling.

For some maybe, but certainly not all...

Well Time Bandit was the lightning rod for that accusation on leg 8 of the 2009 race. On that leg we got caught inshore with no wind. We had sailed only 58 miles in the first 34hrs of the race. It was 6PM on the second day and we had to do 80 miles to finish in 18hrs. There was zero wind, it had shut off for the night and the forecast was for no wind. None of us aboard thought there was any chance that we could actually finish. And, we were out of whiskey. Easy chose. Still it took us 10 hours to motor in.

Word has it that Wayne & Janine have a "party" seriously interested in taking over the event. They hope to make an announcement in the next couple of weeks. Not sure what this means, but stay tuned...

Why?

I've certainly done it under the RRS. Bailed on a race when we were DFL and received the same score as if we had finished. Finishers + 1.

Any action that might be construed as a "tactical withdrawal" is perfectly legal within the RRS scoring system and the VI360 scoring. But they are provisions that while legal, change the nature of the game.

I think that it is a serious flaw in the RRS scoring that withdrawals, in certain circumstances, can actually improve your score (or not worsen it) over slogging it out and finishing even DFL. The RRS problem was made worse by the VI360 scoring which had fleet minimum finishers to score races and had provisions for withdrawals (or too many boats simply not meeting the time limit) from one fleet to affect the scoring in another fleet.

I'm just saying that it needs to be fixed.

Why?

I've certainly done it under the RRS. Bailed on a race when we were DFL and received the same score as if we had finished. Finishers + 1.

Any action that might be construed as a "tactical withdrawal" is perfectly legal within the RRS scoring system and the VI360 scoring. But they are provisions that while legal, change the nature of the game.

I think that it is a serious flaw in the RRS scoring that withdrawals, in certain circumstances, can actually improve your score (or not worsen it) over slogging it out and finishing even DFL. The RRS problem was made worse by the VI360 scoring which had fleet minimum finishers to score races and had provisions for withdrawals (or too many boats simply not meeting the time limit) from one fleet to affect the scoring in another fleet.

I'm just saying that it needs to be fixed.

What was discussed at the last Van Isle, and how I interpreted the "tactical" part, is a withdrawal in order to influence other boats or to start a conspiracy of withdrawal when behind but still able to otherwise finish. So OK I understand the distinction.

[/Hijack]

Those that have been involved with this race previously should be watching their email inboxes carefully...there's news...or rumours and speculation, whichever you prefer B)

:ph34r: - rumors and speculation ... : ) Hearing that it is going ahead is fantastic news. Latest "gossip" I hear, is that the tentative dates set are - June 4 - 18, 2011. Wayne and Janine have built an incredible race, and their shoes are difficult to fill. I've done four Van Isle 360's, and it is by far the best racing event around anywhere.

I'll be away and missing next year (doing another race), but stoked to see that all my friends and fellow sailors will be able to go 'round again.

Wishing the new organizers all the best, in keeping an awesome race continuing on.

[/Hijack]

Those that have been involved with this race previously should be watching their email inboxes carefully...there's news...or rumours and speculation, whichever you prefer B)

Email from Janine:

Good News Everyone! It looks like the 2011 Van Isle 360 is on with the tentative dates set for June 4 - 18. A very keen and capable group have come forward to take over the running of the Van Isle 360. We are very excited about this and wanted to share the news with you as soon as possible to help get the word out. Further details will be announced in the coming weeks once everything has been finalized. Wayne and I are as passionate as ever about the race and will remain involved in the running of the event.

We are extremely happy to see the Van Isle 360 continue. It is such a fantastic event.

If you are considering participating in the 2011 Van Isle 360 it would be great to hear from you.

Thank you

Janine Bell

Van Isle 360 International Yacht Race

www.vanisle360.com

info@vanisle360.com

240-754-9236

How do you get on that email list. I did not do it before but want to next year.

I have no idea, I got the email from a skipper, so I suspect if you put out the bucks you get the first notifications....

Good news for the PNW. Now just have to get time off for early June. Seems close to Swiftsure, come to think of it. Wonder why so early?

Good news for the PNW. Now just have to get time off for early June. Seems close to Swiftsure, come to think of it. Wonder why so early?

This is a tidal race!

This is a tidal race!

You going this time?

This is a tidal race!

You going this time?

I hope so......lots to sort out before hand though

So who is in for the 2011 van isle? The big blue sled will likely be back...

Panty Free is planning to go.

There has been no "official" announcement yet that I know of, but an insider told me yesterday that the event has been sold and that something should be forthcoming soon...

Any new developments? Is it on?

If you look up, not too far - just a few posts, your answer is there. :P;)

No major sponsor signed on as yet, but plans are going ahead regardless.Last time (2009 race) the website wasn't up 'til January, if I recall correctly.

If any of you are thinking you might want to do it - just do it! You won't regret it and a word of warning ... it is highly addictive