Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

j 111 pics

I dig.

Now, if we can just see some more shots, I'd be happier.

Looks hot! Not sure that I really like the fixed windows in the doghouse, but that thing looks like it will roll!

Looking forward to the rest.... nothing on the JBoat site yet... nice scoop on the photos.

DG

The j 111 now looks like a boat. Whattaya think? More pics on the front page.

good scoop, and all looking good to me!

first sail tomorrow (17 July) is it?

I can't seem to find the other pics on"front page".......

oops - go there now!

thanks Ed!!

tempting.....I just need to save another USD150K and I can get one.

who needs a house anyway.

anyone know how many have been ordered now, and where they are going?

oops - go there now!

thanks Ed!!

Finally starting to get some Ross 780 lookalikes......

oops - go there now!

thanks Ed!!

Finally starting to get some Ross 780 lookalikes......

I see what you mean........

a spooky resemblance

post-35196-12792747545_thumb.jpg

This is a great looking boat. I wish them the best of luck with this new boat - It looks really fast. Maybe high teens downwind..i hope..

oops - go there now!

thanks Ed!!

I talked to a dealer about one...they are on something like Hull 22 and they are going all over the place. I am not sure about the Great Lakes yet. Seems this boat is getting a lot of traction already and Hrothgar wants one...it looks easy to sail, good accommodations, fast, family friendly, all the important stuff. Some rumblings about how it will actually rate but if they develop a one-design class than I suppose that doesn't really matter.

Hroth

Yeah....that boat looks fantastic. In a few years, that'll be a good 'upgrade' from the J/29.

I'll start saving my pennies now.

The j 111 now looks like a boat. Whattaya think? More pics on the front page.

They are cranking them out of the mold now....I am in the queue for #4, and they came for the mold deposit a few weeks ago. I did hear tomorow as first splash for hull #1 but no more recent confirmation. They have one enetred in the Mackinac which is in two weeks time so they should be close.

sounds like great advertising. who said that first the designer?

Why the wheel?

Wheel's rule on a 35 footer, I wouldn't have this boat any other way.

Why the wheel?

Some boats can easily be steered w/ tiller like 1D35, but others like J/105 are a bitch to steer with a tiller.

From the pic it looks like the mainsheet tail leads from that post behind the traveller ? If so that's a hassle as it prevents the main trimmer getting forward and it looks hard to switch round like the 105. Cabin a little higher than I expected but that's the compromise for standing headroom I suppose. I like the moulded footrests outboard for the jib trimmer, we added something similar to the 105. I'd add a stainless plate next to the furling line cleat so that you can furl the line from the centre/stbd side without wearing the gelcoat. Boat looks nice.

J111%20cockpit.jpg

From the pic it looks like the mainsheet tail leads from that post behind the traveller ? If so that's a hassle as it prevents the main trimmer getting forward and it looks hard to switch round like the 105. Cabin a little higher than I expected but that's the compromise for standing headroom I suppose. I like the moulded footrests outboard for the jib trimmer, we added something similar to the 105. I'd add a stainless plate next to the furling line cleat so that you can furl the line from the centre/stbd side without wearing the gelcoat. Boat looks nice.

J111%20cockpit.jpg

As a dinghy sailor (Finn in my case)), you'd expect it to be in that position. There just needs to be room for the driver and main trimmer. Shorthanded, the driver will also handle main.

J111%20cockpit.jpg

As a dinghy sailor (Finn in my case)), you'd expect it to be in that position. There just needs to be room for the driver and main trimmer. Shorthanded, the driver will also handle main.

looks like the main trimmer will sit between the wheel and the traveller, seems to be a good amount of space. And the helm will sit at the engine control panel with a leg either side of the wheel. Looks like allot of room behind the wheel to stack crew when the kite and wind get up :)

J111%20cockpit.jpg

I agree that the mainsheet and traveller don't look right. I would have the track all the way to the pedestal, since thats the best foot brace for the main trimmer to have when going upwind. Also, when tacking/gybing having the sheet pedestal in between the two i see big problems. The boat looks great, but they had better fix that. I understand the Dinghy comment, but try getting the sheet around the wheel every time without uncleating it. Just sayin.

j/125's are quick and fun - no doubt, but for the j/boat that might have a lot more versatility, this one might be the closest.

Why the wheel?

Some boats can easily be steered w/ tiller like 1D35, but others like J/105 are a bitch to steer with a tiller.

Looks like the wheel/tiller is probably a custom option. The hole for the rudder is right there and you could easily delete the wheel pillar an put a tiller on. Tiller would certainly open up the cockpit though.

An aside - why haven't they designed a better rudder for the J/105?

You need a wheel to manage the current barn-door (and in reverse the tiller is downright dangerous) but a tiller would be fine with a more modern design, and the 105 would be an even better boat for it. I understand about OD but I'd bet the class would go for it.

An aside - why haven't they designed a better rudder for the J/105?

You need a wheel to manage the current barn-door (and in reverse the tiller is downright dangerous) but a tiller would be fine with a more modern design, and the 105 would be an even better boat for it. I understand about OD but I'd bet the class would go for it.

Doesn't the J92 have the same rudder profile?

As a former J owner, who cares what it looks like. When will we see pictures of the Keel attachment/Sump Design - Lets hope they are finally starting to try something new (i.e. with structural integrity). Seven years down the line the compromise of production composite starts to rear its ugly head....

Really do not see what this boat will add to the fleet.

Looks like a pos cruiser.

A POS cruiser?... You are mistaken. The freeboard on the boat is like 3 feet. I looks way sexier than the 109 and you can’t even call that a POS cruiser. It is clear that you are unaware of what constitutes a boat as a POS cruiser.

I am a J boat lover and think the boat looks great but I would like to see the foils and rigging… and maybe a few sailing pics before I drink the Kool-Aid.

Design of the keel sounds good but we will have to wait and see. I think this is the most exciting boat that J has produced since the J125 and J90 and I can't wait to see how it sails.

I'm in Newport right now and did a quick tour today with Jeff Johnstone.

Still some work to be done before launch, but everything seemed to be going OK. BTW the cockpit layout is spot on.

Put some pics up here. Should have another update next week...

J111-bristol-2.jpg

So it's been over 10 years since the 125 was launched....and still nothing yet compares...maybe this?

And by the way, the 125 was a versitile boat. not only did it make an excellent racer, but the cockpit made had the dance floor of any J, and it even had a place for a lawn chair behind the wheel for deliveries...If you want nice accomidations, go to the Westin, which you would get to sooner in a 125!

So it's been over 10 years since the 125 was launched....and still nothing yet compares...maybe this?

And by the way, the 125 was a versitile boat. not only did it make an excellent racer, but the cockpit made had the dance floor of any J, and it even had a place for a lawn chair behind the wheel for deliveries...If you want nice accomidations, go to the Westin, which you would get to sooner in a 125!

I owned a J/90 and ordered the 111. It's not that I didn't like the 90, it is a marvelous sail boat. But it's like a sportcar: single purpose. You can't do much other than race, and you better have a hardened crew as I have never gotten through a race withour hard broaching a few times. Not your regular roundup either, that boat will go down on one ear while you are trying to release anything that is releasable. J Boats talks about versatility as its theme for this boat. You get more use out of a boat when it's more versatile. If I wanted another 90, I'd probably get into a Melges 32. I came close to getting a 125 a year or so again and after looking at it hard, it is just a bigger J/90. I didn't think it would let me expand my use much beyond what I was using the 90 for. Doesn't take anything away from the 90 and 125, outstanding boats. Never met an owner who wasn't passionate about these boats. But...there is a reason other than price why J Boats sold so few of them. They are trying to remedy that with this new design.

Great pics, thanks!

You can have google translate that page w/ the pictures, and interpret Blur's comments, not bad.

Great pics, thanks!

You can have google translate that page w/ the pictures, and interpret Blur's comments, not bad.

Nothing new really. Will try to collect my thoughts (in English as well) next week.

j/125's are quick and fun - no doubt, but for the j/boat that might have a lot more versatility, this one might be the closest.

Not very often this happens, but I have to agree with the Ed on this 100%. The /125 and /90 were probably the best all out boats the J boys ever built but to get longevity and hull #'s on the water there must be some compromise to multi-purpose use. They may have nailed this one from the looks. Very nice indeed.

As a J97 owner I can see 97 written all over the 111 especially if blurs shot of the keel is the right one, its a larger version of the 97, the bow is similar, cockpit layout too except for the wheel.

If it does plane and goes to windward like the 97 it will be a great boat. Its a pity the 97 hasnt really got off the ground in the states yet but I would suggest you look at it really hard if you want a 32 footer as a top round the cans racer but also one that will also look after you and keep the family dry in 30 knots of breeze and 6-10 ft waves, then relax on the marina berth with a meal when you get in, something not possible on a J90.

2 of my crew are ex J90 sailors and they do miss the wild downhill rides they used to have but they also like our ability to climb to windward up the course leaving larger boats sliding off to leeward and under IRC we have beaten the J90 on corrected.

Am really looking forward to seeing the 111 on the water next year and see what it rates under IRC, the ratings shenigans with the 97 seem to have settled down in the UK and it is a boat that you can actually sail to its rating,which is how it should be as against a lot of lightweight flyers which you can't.

So I'm a fan of the 97, but I can't see any of the 97 in the 111...consider:

The 111 has 6 ft more waterline length, only displaces 300 lbs more, actually has less beam, and has 165 sqft more sail area, with a SA/Disp ratio of 28 vice 19...

They are similar only in the level of accommodations down below...and the non overlapping/sprit sail plan....the 97 is IRC optimized while the 111 is not.

Not in any way meant to bash the 97 (I too wish they would take off here in the states), but just pointing out how different they are....

and under IRC we have beaten the J90 on corrected.

That has to be the harshest, unfairest rating of all, a J/90 under IRC. An ultra light boat in a rating system that favors fat pigs. I used to do horizon jobs on boats in my J/90, couldn't even see 'em at the finish and they'd still came back to beat us on corrected after they finished an hour later. And these were boats in the same size range 27-33 feet. It's bullt shit.

any word on pricing?

Base price of the first dozen boats is 229K. You add eletronics and sails, who knows, mid-high 200s depending on your taste in gadgets.

I suppose the Harken winches for the main sheet are gonna be up the main trimmers arse?

J111%20cockpit.jpg

????

The mainsheet will probably be a gross tune/fine tune system just like the 109's. No winches needed. The main trimmer will sit just aft of the raised coaming with the headsail winches on it.

The best looking J boat in a long time. But don't call it a J125 until it proves it's self. I hope it is as fast as they say cause I would be a player on it.

Got to be getting close to launching, anyone have any insider info? Looking forward to seeing the sailplan in use.

Got to be getting close to launching, anyone have any insider info? Looking forward to seeing the sailplan in use.

Apparently, first sail won't be until begininng of August now - I hear they have sold up to hull #28.

Bet it commisssions @ NEB. Anyone pulling there after NYYC regatta? Rumor was that the rig was a bit behind in production. Any Hall spars moles out there?

I suppose the Harken winches for the main sheet are gonna be up the main trimmers arse?

J111%20cockpit.jpg

????

The mainsheet will probably be a gross tune/fine tune system just like the 109's. No winches needed. The main trimmer will sit just aft of the raised coaming with the headsail winches on it.

sounds about right

I know that's just protective matting in the cockpit, but wouldn't some teak or teak venere look really good there??

I know that's just protective matting in the cockpit, but wouldn't some teak or teak venere look really good there??

plywood in a strong yellow colour could do it. or cork board? either would really set it off.

Nope. Extra weight = less speed = less fun.

Having no wood on deck is one of the great features of my J/109. It looks brand new after 3 seasons of hard sailing, as a boat with teak actually looks much older.

This boat is not designed for IRC......

ugh, fuck teak... we loved that about our 109 too. But, Blur, if you/jboats really wanted to minimize weight, and they would ditch the damn furler... just sayin'...

does anyone know if the build will come to europe?

There is one on its way to Dublin. Not sure which hull number it is or when they are expecting to get it.

McMichaels delivered a new J95 to a client that has teak in the cockpit floor. It also had (has) a custom full keel. Sweet looking boat!

ugh, fuck teak... we loved that about our 109 too. But, Blur, if you/jboats really wanted to minimize weight, and they would ditch the damn furler... just sayin'...

I had a furling headstay on my J/90. It goes against the religion, but I found it a great short handed capability and a safety feature on the ocean, you didn't want to go on deck on that boat in a real breeze and seaway. I bought the boat from Rod J and when I asked him about a furler he looked at me as if I was going to defeat everything he had accomplsihed with the J/90 design, lowering weight aloft, very low center of gravity etc. Anyway, I liked having the furler on the 90, and I like it on this boat too. There are limits to purism.

McMichaels delivered a new J95 to a client that has teak in the cockpit floor. It also had (has) a custom full keel. Sweet looking boat!

When I'm 70 and get a J/100 it will have plenty of teak and be dark blue ;)

I didn't say that J95 was for a 70 year old... you did ! :-)

I think you mean a custom deep fin keel right? A full keel would be kinda a giant step backwards...

I didn't say that J95 was for a 70 year old... you did ! :-)

Did I?

Just that certain things belong on a gentleman's day sailor (or cruiser) but not on a speedster.

I think you mean a custom deep fin keel right? A full keel would be kinda a giant step backwards...

Nope, I've seen it with my own eyes. Here's a render of the thing:

J95+Keel+Rendering.jpg

J95+Keel+Rendering.jpg

That's not a full keel. It's a fin with the squashed bulb that J Boats has been using for a while.

Let's get this thread back on track, any updates on the build this week? I'm getting antsy. Blur how did you convince the boys to let you snap some photos?

Nope. Rubber, please. Better grip and protects from lightening strikes up here where the squalls blow in fast, frequent and furious.

Wood anything is way past it's stale date...

"Plastics my son...the future is plastics..."

J95+Keel+Rendering.jpg

interesting. do u also have the specs for that non-std keel ? (how deep, weight...)

Courtesy of Michael Beers

J95 Fixed Keel

And I too saw this boat, the day it arrived at the yard... i was there to pick up my (new to me) J80 and there was this J95 with the twin rudders, the deep fin keel and teak on the cockpit sole.

Yes you are right.. I meant a custom deep fin keel, not the dagger board type.

Let's get this thread back on track, any updates on the build this week? I'm getting antsy. Blur how did you convince the boys to let you snap some photos?

+1

+1

Now hearing #1 will float next week. My hull #4 apparently has popped the mold and is in assembly. They are definitely 6 weeks or so behind the initial schedule but I'd rather have them get things right.

+1

Now hearing #1 will float next week. My hull #4 apparently has popped the mold and is in assembly. They are definitely 6 weeks or so behind the initial schedule but I'd rather have them get things right.

Thanks for the update, and did you buy your sails yet? Just curious what the OD setup is going to be. I'm guessing they decided vertical battens on the jib (j105-j109 style). Saw these renderings of the kite, and looks like it will get up and go.

post-13703-12799103147_thumb.jpg

+1

Thanks for the update, and did you buy your sails yet? Just curious what the OD setup is going to be. I'm guessing they decided vertical battens on the jib (j105-j109 style). Saw these renderings of the kite, and looks like it will get up and go.

post-13703-12799103147_thumb.jpg

I have over the years gotten my sails from Doyle, also for the J/90. Doyle is also building the sails for 111 #1, so they will have done some work on this before they get to my suit of sails.

I know the feeling :P Here you go...

j111_100721_B-10.jpg

Put up some additional pictures here (at the bottom).

The build of the first three boats are coming along quite fast, and I think #1 will get a keel today.

Anyway, I was very happy with what I found at C&C. Weight seems to be in control. Quality composite work, attention to details and innovative people. Deck layout is close to perfect, and personally I'd just change minor details.

Open, roomy interior with ok headroom. Nav + pentry area are quite nice and the rest of the boat is "sporty". All weight is centered with ends pretty much empty. From my standpoint it's spot on. Not as cosy as a J/109 for family cruising but a lot better than a J/125 or J/105.

So, the the only question now is how it sails. And we'll know soon enough... I'll have to come back for test sails this fall. Planned delivery for #18 BLUR is march 2011 :D

Sails. The class inventory will include a main, two jibs and two asym spinnakers. For handicap offshore races I think a staysail, a code 0 and some additional downwind sails will fit nicely. I'm in contact with the people at North who's doing the J/111 designs and MemBrain runs. More on this soon.

I also went over to Hall Spars (just 5 minutes from C&C) to look at the J/111-masts. Looked super nice, and will be using their new carbon nano technology exclusively for the J/111.

The new J/111 mast is a single-piece seamless tube from Hall Spars constructed using carbon nanotube technology. Ben Hall's commentary: "ZyVex Corporation's Arovex is a new line of carbon nanotube pre-pregs made to our specifications just for the J/111 project. To create Arovex, carbon nanotubes are mixed into resin that's combined with carbon fibers to create the pre-preg. During our autoclave-curing process, the nano-infused resin is heated until it becomes liquid, at which point it completely surrounds the carbon fibers. The nanotubes add strength to the resin, improving the overall strength of the finished product without adding the weight of additional fibers or the expense of a higher modulus of carbon. The tall, powerful sail plan of the exciting new J/111 is the perfect platform for this technology."

I know the feeling :P Here you go...

j111_100721_B-10.jpg

The build of the first three boats are coming along quite fast, and I think #1 will get a keel today.

Anyway, I was very happy with what I found at C&C. Weight seems to be in control. Quality composite work, attention to details and innovative people. Deck layout is close to perfect, and personally I'd just change minor details.

Open, roomy interior with ok headroom. Nav + pentry area are quite nice and the rest of the boat is "sporty". All weight is centered with ends pretty much empty. From my standpoint it's spot on. Not as cosy as a J/109 for family cruising but a lot better than a J/125 or J/105.

So, the the only question now is how it sails. And we'll know soon enough... I'll have to come back for test sails this fall. Planned delivery for #18 BLUR is march 2011 :D

Sails. The class inventory will include a main, two jibs and two asym spinnakers. For handicap offshore races I think a staysail, a code 0 and some additional downwind sails will fit nicely. I'm in contact with the people at North who's doing the J/111 designs and MemBrain runs. More on this soon.

I also went over to Hall Spars (just 5 minutes from C&C) to look at the J/111-masts. Looked super nice, and will be using their new carbon nano technology exclusively for the J/111.

The new J/111 mast is a single-piece seamless tube from Hall Spars constructed using carbon nanotube technology. Ben Hall's commentary: "ZyVex Corporation's Arovex is a new line of carbon nanotube pre-pregs made to our specifications just for the J/111 project. To create Arovex, carbon nanotubes are mixed into resin that's combined with carbon fibers to create the pre-preg. During our autoclave-curing process, the nano-infused resin is heated until it becomes liquid, at which point it completely surrounds the carbon fibers. The nanotubes add strength to the resin, improving the overall strength of the finished product without adding the weight of additional fibers or the expense of a higher modulus of carbon. The tall, powerful sail plan of the exciting new J/111 is the perfect platform for this technology."

I am definitely considering a code zero. I had one on my J/90. That sail can be used as a shy kite, or very hot angle reaching. Fun sail to have in the inventory. They did put the keel on #1 today. They are now aiming for test sails first week of August on #1. Won't be long.

Great pics, thanks!

Nothing new really. Will try to collect my thoughts (in English as well) next week.

No worries - Swedish is just fine

As a J97 owner I can see 97 written all over the 111 especially if blurs shot of the keel is the right one, its a larger version of the 97, the bow is similar, cockpit layout too except for the wheel.

If it does plane and goes to windward like the 97 it will be a great boat. Its a pity the 97 hasnt really got off the ground in the states yet but I would suggest you look at it really hard if you want a 32 footer as a top round the cans racer but also one that will also look after you and keep the family dry in 30 knots of breeze and 6-10 ft waves, then relax on the marina berth with a meal when you get in, something not possible on a J90.

2 of my crew are ex J90 sailors and they do miss the wild downhill rides they used to have but they also like our ability to climb to windward up the course leaving larger boats sliding off to leeward and under IRC we have beaten the J90 on corrected.

Am really looking forward to seeing the 111 on the water next year and see what it rates under IRC, the ratings shenigans with the 97 seem to have settled down in the UK and it is a boat that you can actually sail to its rating,which is how it should be as against a lot of lightweight flyers which you can't.

Are you fucking high?

I know the feeling tongue.gif Here you go...

j111_100721_B-10.jpg

So, the the only question now is how it sails. And we'll know soon enough... I'll have to come back for test sails this fall. Planned delivery for #18 BLUR is march 2011 biggrin.gif

I am definitely considering a code zero. I had one on my J/90. That sail can be used as a shy kite, or very hot angle reaching. Fun sail to have in the inventory. They did put the keel on #1 today. They are now aiming for test sails first week of August on #1. Won't be long.

Still have that zero floating around? Would fit nicely on my Viper.....

Anybody considering a code zero for the 111 should SERIOUSLY talk to North. After sailing under multiple "Code Zero's" from all of the leading sail designers (North, Quantum, UK) the design of their code zero is by far the best.

Anyway, I was very happy with what I found at C&C.

Correction. Naturally it's CCF Composites that's building the J/models!

Why the wheel?

Had a visit from the J109 I did a couple of seasons on: owner said it would be ideal with a tiller!

Dig that TP52 with tiller. Tough!

Matter of Taste for offshore, but can't beat the feel.

So after hearing the banter in this place about the second coming with this boat. It just doesn't pass the eye test. I see more J/109, less J/125. Not necessarily a bad thing. Im involved with a J/109 right now, and the boat is smart. Head, refrig and AC keep the ladies happy and returning... This thing just doesn't look like the hard planing boat I was led to believe was coming. Thought??

Good comment boatpimp. My own personal thought is that I want to see it in the water and sail a few times before I form a final opinion. J needs to push the envelope from time to time so things keep moving forward.

I'm excited to see what this boat looks like in a year or two (when I'll be able to afford one.)

Has anyone put the full costs together for one of these to the West Coast? What are we looking at delivered, commissioned, electronics, sails etc. Anyone have an itemized handle on the realistic costs to be on the water?

I priced it up with a pretty decent sail inventory and electronics package. I was at $265k IIRC. I'll look tonight when I get home. A lot of boat for the money though.

So after hearing the banter in this place about the second coming with this boat. It just doesn't pass the eye test. I see more J/109, less J/125. Not necessarily a bad thing. Im involved with a J/109 right now, and the boat is smart. Head, refrig and AC keep the ladies happy and returning... This thing just doesn't look like the hard planing boat I was led to believe was coming. Thought??

more like an A35 with presumably a longer prodder.

Good move to speedier OOD though, but you can no doubt forget HC racing unless some break out bandings for sportier boats take off; which they may well do!