Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

window

New 32 footer

post-5627-127977687838_thumb.jpgNew 32 footer just out of the shed.

Done by PB Composites

Altered moulds from the MASRM 920

Rig and keel moved aft, non overlappers.

Waddya think?

Done by PB Composites

Waddya think?

Depends on how much it costs to float and how it performs with the new configuration. MASRM 920s were always a good little club racer with a reasonable turn of pace. Tough economy to be launching a new boat into.

And of course (seriously) wotsit rate mate? (IRC & AMS??)

Looks like PB is keeping himself busy.

If it sails as sweetly as his own 9m boat then he'll be onto a winner!!

I always had a soft spot for the MASRM 920, and still believe that it was in it's original format, the best all round performance 30 footer ever to hit the water.

The only thing wrong with the original 920 was it was a complex boat to sail fast, modernizing certainly would make the boat much easier to sail fast and certainly more often.

For this new creation I do hope that it works for the stake holders as it's an impossible size bracket to break into especially competing with the likes of the T980, Sydney 32 and so on.

Anyway I hope the new boat does really well, as a legacy from the MASRM 920 rightly deserves it.

It will be interesting how it goes thats for sure.

The owner purchased (and still owns) the molds and then spent alot of time changing them how he wanted his boat to be.

Plumbing the bow up a bit, adding a couple of feet to the stern getting rid of the cut away, moving the rig and keel aft, moving the chain plates out. Compare it to where it started it looks fantastic, modern. The owner intended the boat not as a full on race boat it is going to be his family weekender with capacity to do off shore and club racing. I think it will suit his needs fine.

This will most likely be raced under AMS.

jono

32 feet or 9600mm

The molds are ready to go either purchase or bang another hull out apparently.

Corecell / eglass / epoxy construction.

No lines.

I always had a soft spot for the MASRM 920, and still believe that it was in it's original format, the best all round performance 30 footer ever to hit the water.

The only thing wrong with the original 920 was it was a complex boat to sail fast, modernizing certainly would make the boat much easier to sail fast and certainly more often.

For this new creation I do hope that it works for the stake holders as it's an impossible size bracket to break into especially competing with the likes of the T980, Sydney 32 and so on.

Anyway I hope the new boat does really well, as a legacy from the MASRM 920 rightly deserves it.

We had a 920 and then a Bull 9000 after that, I agree, the 920 was hard to sail fast. On the other hand the Bull was easy to sail and a leg ahead in speed.

Piers, I'll be back down your way at the beginning of the season. I look forward to seeing more of it.

Phil

Im sam

Dont think piers gets on here much,

I will let him know. He has done an awesome job on this boat all vac bagged the full bit.

Why so quiet on the 9 m sport sportboat ? I like them both any interrnal photos of both ?

I've never bothered to take any photos of the inside!

Not a great deal there, v berth, head for the girls, seats down each side and a very minimal galley.

We had 10 days over last christmas doing the Launceston to Hobart and then the return trip. Five for the race and three for the trip home and it worked fine.

Whole thing only weighs 1800 though so that plays a factor and any more would clutter up the inside. The best type of small boat interior is as open as possible.

The modified Masrm has more inside but the owner is doing most of the work himself, he should have it in the water late this season (i hope/think). Thats early next year for you northern hemisphere types.

Sammy,

Top job on getting the pic on the front page. We are OS at the moment at B14 Worlds...boat looks great. Mic and Pizzel have done a great job!

fish,

mick and piers have done an awesome job putting this together.

Hope alls going well with the b's.

sam

Bob,

Yes, agree, the window finishes it real nice

Done by PB Composites

Waddya think?

We had a go at doing this in the early 90's. Took the 920 mould, extended the length, new deck, keel and rudder, taller rig, bigger sail plan, etc.

The boat was a bitch off a breeze.

We sailed it for 6 or 7 seasons and it was always competitive against the similar boats of the time. Not sure where the boat is now.

post-18170-128011557845_thumb.jpgpost-18170-128011551573_thumb.jpg

tosail

In what way was it a bitch off the breeze?

It rounded up very easily.

Full on concentration required downwind in waves. The Elliots, Cape 31 were certinally faster down wind.

I think the rudder was to small / mast too far forward / we carried sails that might have been a little too big (but fun).

post-18170-128012558804_thumb.jpg

I have the previous MASRM from these moulds (Trouble at the BYC) and also owned the one before that (Totally Wild). Ive had a few conversations with the new owner and am excited to see his new baby at this stage. She looks great. I believe he may be going to race her in Hobart for a while when shes finished. Can't wait!

Hi I have read you discussion iwith interest. I bought a Masrm 920 a couple of years ago and have been mainly doing twilights but havig great fun with it. I am interested in getting a bit more serious about its performance. Does anyone have target boat speeds for a 920?

Thanks

I have had one or the past 10 years fun fast boat.

See results SASC.com.au. Lion island race div 2 2013 series

Also has carbon fibre bow asymmetric spinnaker 3.0 mtrs. Modified rudder and much more.

Top speed so far is 15 knots