Editor

J/111 Goes Sailing...

111 Photos

DG

I did notice in the images that the carbon spar on PIRANHA is clear coated. The Hall carbon nanotube(ZyVex/Arovex)spars I have seen here in the US (#4 INVISIBLE HAND and #17 MADMEN) are both finished in black LPU; there is an option for white as well. Are the European produced boats using a different mast...or are the later Hall J-111 nanotube spars just finished in clear coat vs. LPU?

Clear coat does not hold up well in my prior experience, a few hard tacks, and the coating starts cracking and chipping. On #4, we also had an adhesive rubberized plastic pad applied to the front of the mast where the head sail clew travels across to protect the coating. It is pitch black, you can barely see it.

Nice write up, good name for a 111. It's time for you to move on from the 109 ! B)

:D

Regarding the mast it's Hall Spar from Holland. Great looking but both mast & boom needs protection from chafe. On the J/109 we use PROtect Tape (italian stuff) both on deck, coachroof (tackline + furler) and on the mast. Piranha used something similar along the side to protect the very nice Awlgrip paintjob.

One thing that has been discussed here is that the sprit is not as stiff as the one we got on the 109. Anyone know who makes the sprit? Specification? Should be the Hall nano-stuff as well...

I also would like some input on the downwind setup. Getting 100% out of the boat is key to sailing to the rating. TWS range for the big kite? When is a kite to much? Jibtop?

Plus if someone figured out a way to manage a heavy weather jib together with a rolled up jib? Ideally on a roller, halyard lock and a way to tension it downwards. Doing headsail changes solo- or doublehanded when it's blowing +25 knots is always messy.

Class rules on crew weight for J111 seems to be 650kg all up - ie INCLUDING the owner/driver, which is a bit different from the UK 109 setup (600kg + owner). 650/8 = 81kg, which seems to be about right - helm, main, 3 trimmers (or 2 trimmers + sewer/nav/tactics), pit, mast, foredeck. Drop a trimmer if your sailing with fat boys. 8 also happens to be IRC crew number.

Don't know if its relevant but J-dream, (one of the better UK 109's - who also had a pro at UK 109 nationals) have been advertising for some weight for their new 111 recently, despite the fact the 109 crew would probably have been over the 650kg limit - I'm thinking they may be feeling that hanging some lard out upwind could help in W/L on what appears to be an easily powered up boat....

There is no 111 class racing yet, all irc and I recall the winter series allows irc crew limit+2. Generally pays to be as heavy as possible in winter series as its generally stronger winds.

Ugotta Regatta on Lake Michigan last July had 5 J111's in their own class

My reference was related to the UK which was what pjrs and I were discussing. There is an indicative 2012 OD programme of a few events where the 111's should have a class score if not a class start.

I am hopeful for the development of class racing in UK but it's worth noting the OD success of the 109 came about due to strong sales based upon IRC success. The UK boats sold to date have been to a variety of owners, Schmoking Joe (probably) and J-Dream will race class W/L events. Arabella owner is interested in sailing his new boat in the US and when in Europe his interest is primarily in offshore racing. If the UK Agent still owns Jenga in 2012 it will race class events. The Munkenbeck owner rarely sailed his 109 but hopefully will do more in the 111.

OD isn't seen as such a big deal in the UK, partly due to owners being happy with IRC and partly due to the variety of events including passage racing and offshore - there is a lot to choose from and UK J111 OD is never going to rival the profile or competition of the Fastnet or Commodore's Cup. There may be 40 or 50 109's in the big OD events of the past few years (Cowes Week, Cork Week Europeans 2010) but it's not close to the same standard. The great thing for me is the 111 will do well in passage events and that will generate the profile.

111 Photos

DG

I did notice in the images that the carbon spar on PIRANHA is clear coated. The Hall carbon nanotube(ZyVex/Arovex)spars I have seen here in the US (#4 INVISIBLE HAND and #17 MADMEN) are both finished in black LPU; there is an option for white as well. Are the European produced boats using a different mast...or are the later Hall J-111 nanotube spars just finished in clear coat vs. LPU?

Clear coat does not hold up well in my prior experience, a few hard tacks, and the coating starts cracking and chipping. On #4, we also had an adhesive rubberized plastic pad applied to the front of the mast where the head sail clew travels across to protect the coating. It is pitch black, you can barely see it.

We followed your lead on the front of the mast protection...and a few other things too ;0))...

My reference was related to the UK which was what pjrs and I were discussing. There is an indicative 2012 OD programme of a few events where the 111's should have a class score if not a class start.

I am hopeful for the development of class racing in UK but it's worth noting the OD success of the 109 came about due to strong sales based upon IRC success. The UK boats sold to date have been to a variety of owners, Schmoking Joe (probably) and J-Dream will race class W/L events. Arabella owner is interested in sailing his new boat in the US and when in Europe his interest is primarily in offshore racing. If the UK Agent still owns Jenga in 2012 it will race class events. The Munkenbeck owner rarely sailed his 109 but hopefully will do more in the 111.

OD isn't seen as such a big deal in the UK, partly due to owners being happy with IRC and partly due to the variety of events including passage racing and offshore - there is a lot to choose from and UK J111 OD is never going to rival the profile or competition of the Fastnet or Commodore's Cup. There may be 40 or 50 109's in the big OD events of the past few years (Cowes Week, Cork Week Europeans 2010) but it's not close to the same standard. The great thing for me is the 111 will do well in passage events and that will generate the profile.

I've wondered a couple of times why J-UK haven't established an offshore categoryfor the 111 OD rules. Basing it around an IRC optimised sailplan, so allow an extra headsail for a JT and extra spinnaker or two for code 0 and reacher over the 2 headsails, 2 kites class rules. Use maximum areas on the additional sails so there's still a bit of IRC flexibility. This would allow class scoring within the existing UK IRC racing for minimal additional outlay for those J111'sthat are already doing offshore sailing. The boats strength is undoubtedly offshore/passage, it wouldn't take too much to get setup and would give another incentive for owning. As Jambalya says, for the UK market IRC success with the chance of OD seems to be a winning formula, so why not play it to the boats strengths

pjrs - if I had the money (always a big if !) - I'd go with OD sails for main (but with more reefs and heavier construction), jibs and kite and buy offshore sails like JT and reaching/heavy kites and race offshore under IRC, there is never likely to be OD scoring offshore. Look at the 109's, fleets of 30-40 OD and 10 boats doing offshore all under IRC with ratigs from 1.01 to 1.03 and most of them do very little or no OD. When I was racing 105s (in UK and France) most of the top boats focused on offshore and did OD for a little variety so the sail choices were driven by offshore IRC and if they weren't optimal for OD so be it.

It will be interesting to see the split, if any, amongst J111 owners inshore vs offshore bias.

Class rules on crew weight for J111 seems to be 650kg all up - ie INCLUDING the owner/driver, which is a bit different from the UK 109 setup (600kg + owner). 650/8 = 81kg, which seems to be about right - helm, main, 3 trimmers (or 2 trimmers + sewer/nav/tactics), pit, mast, foredeck. Drop a trimmer if your sailing with fat boys. 8 also happens to be IRC crew number.

Don't know if its relevant but J-dream, (one of the better UK 109's - who also had a pro at UK 109 nationals) have been advertising for some weight for their new 111 recently, despite the fact the 109 crew would probably have been over the 650kg limit - I'm thinking they may be feeling that hanging some lard out upwind could help in W/L on what appears to be an easily powered up boat....

There is no 111 class racing yet, all irc and I recall the winter series allows irc crew limit+2. Generally pays to be as heavy as possible in winter series as its generally stronger winds.

We had 6 J/111 racing OD there and at the Verve Cup in Chicago. Also 6 in the Chicago Mac.

And the video from the test sail... Go full screen/720p.

Nice!

Who caused the wipeout in the moderate breeze... a bit greedy on the helm?

Thank God you don't have that terrible music much like Onne's Vanderwal's 111 video.

Good times, and well done!

DG

Who caused the wipeout in the moderate breeze... a bit greedy on the helm?

Just me, trying to provoke the boat :P

Nice video. That pink kite looks quite small. Did you notice a difference with the yellow one ? Boat quite heeled upwind , your view on crew weight and main trim (sheet a bit slack and outhaul quite loose, perhaps not representative) ?

Nice video. That pink kite looks quite small. Did you notice a difference with the yellow one ? Boat quite heeled upwind , your view on crew weight and main trim (sheet a bit slack and outhaul quite loose, perhaps not representative) ?

Didn't look like they were flying the big kite A4, did they? Conditions seemed fine for the A4 .

Didn't look like they were flying the big kite A4, did they? Conditions seemed fine for the A4 .

As I wrote in my article, the spinnaker designs was pretty different to what I'm used to with North. The pink one we started out with was a smaller one, but the yellow was supposed to be a full size A3. To bad the wind dropped during the day... But the downwind speed must have been ok since it took ages to get back to the harbour :lol:

Upwind, naturally "fat is fast" when it comes to crew weight, but it was stiff and will make a great doublehanded boat. I didn't go into details when it came to trim, but I would definitely try flatter, tighter and more twist on both jib and main like we do on the J/109. We'll see.

Do you know Piranha weight?

According to ORC Club certificat (in your mail) it's 4.370 kg.

GPH is 572,4 which is roughly the same as X-41 :blink:

3 J111's out last Sunday in IRC class of Hamble Winter Series results link

Stephane, ratings are 1.09 and 1.093 (J-D hasn't got a rating yet). I suggest you email J-UK and ask what weights they have. RORC and UNCL will use same base weight, likely the UK boats have been weighed.

The Reflex 38 in IRC 1 gets a "DSQ" that they have to eat and they still win out of 25 boats? It must be the best sailed, best prepared boat, right? :lol:

Looks to me like you get three throwouts...so the DSQ doesn't count...dry.gif

The Reflex 38 in IRC 1 gets a "DSQ" that they have to eat and they still win out of 25 boats? It must be the best sailed, best prepared boat, right? :lol:

Looks to me like you get three throwouts...so the DSQ doesn't count...dry.gif

Where I come from, you have to eat a DSQ as 1 + however many boats were in the class, in this case 1 + 25 = 26. You can't drop a DSQ! The boat still dominated.

In addition, Puma Logic was also awarded RORC top yacht offshore this year. Awarded to the "best prepared, best sailed" IRC boat.

However Hamble clearly isn't "where you come from" and the DSQ has been discarded. Not entirely sure why you're surpirsed that Puma wins the class, given that only a handfull of boats have done the whole series, and Puma is clearly the best sailed of those.

You also wouldn't be surprised if you'd ever sailed against Puma.

Where I come from, you have to eat a DSQ as 1 + however many boats were in the class, in this case 1 + 25 = 26. You can't drop a DSQ! The boat still dominated.

When I raced in the US we could throw out a DSQ, in fact a DSQ is discardable everywhere I've raced. Very occasionally you'll see a DND (Disqualified Non Discardable) for something very specific. You'll note the other Reflex 38's were mid pack results wise.

Puma/visit malta logic are out every satuerday practicing, it's a case of an average boat sailed very well. as for the other boats jd aren't on race sails, Inga have just raced this weekend, Winston have just been quietly consistent and Flair have been on good form as expected. worth noting the GS46 would have achieved good results in irc 1 (sailed the same course on the same start as irc 1 but in irc 0).

Not that I ever get DSQ'd, but here we can't throw them out. Different rules for different countries I presume. Sounds like Puma needs some quality competition.

Where do you mean by "here", Great Lakes ? You can throw out a DSQ in Florida, certainly could the last time I raced there.

Puma were 7th in IRC 2 for the RORC season behind a mix of boats including the only J111, Beneteaus, Oyster, Grand Soleil. The title was won by a J122. Puma's having a great run in the winter series, well done to them.

Hey Polaris,

You're wrong about not being able to throw out a DSQ in the US, as well as being wrong about the best sailed boat not winning most of the time in IRC.

When I raced in the US we could throw out a DSQ, in fact a DSQ is discardable everywhere I've raced. Very occasionally you'll see a DND (Disqualified Non Discardable) for something very specific. You'll note the other Reflex 38's were mid pack results wise.

Not that I ever get DSQ'd, but here we can't throw them out. Different rules for different countries I presume. Sounds like Puma needs some quality competition.

Care to provide a link to that "no throw out of DSQ in the USA" rule, or are you just going to continue bloviating?

Not specifically as a whole, but our area. You mess up on our lake and you eat the DSQ http://drya.org/race...011_Scoring.pdf

Dropping DSQ's are like taking mulligans on the golf course. Pretending that it didn't just happen.

George, have I told you lately that you are a POS.

It is impossible to underestimate the ignorance of some morons who race on Lake St. Stupid, you being the prime example of that truism.

Normal ISAF appendex A scoring allows for DSQs to be discarded; A2 makes no mention of DSQ.

A2 SERIES SCORES

Each boat’s series score shall be the total of her race scores excluding her worst score. (The sailing instructions may make a different arrangement by providing, for example, that no score will be excluded, that two or more scores will be excluded, or that a specified number of scores will be excluded if a specified number of races are completed. A race is completed if scored; see rule 90.3(a).) If aboat has two or more equal worst scores, the score(s) for the race(s)sailed earliest in the series shall be excluded. The boat with thelowest series score wins and others shall be ranked accordingly.

There's the existance of the DNE and DGM scores:

DNE Disqualification (other than DGM) not excludable under rule90.3(B)

DGM Disqualification for gross misconduct not excludable underrule 90.3(B)

and 90.3b states: 90.3 (B) When a scoring system provides for excluding one or more race scores from a boat’s series score, the score for disqualifcation under rule 2; rule 30.3’s last sentence; rule 42 if rule 67, P2.2 or P2.3 applies; or rule 69.1(B)(2) shall not be excluded.The next-worse score shall be excluded instead.

2 is fair sailing. The last sentence of 30.3 is sailing a race that has been general recalled of abandoned and restarted after a black flag, and you were OCS in the last minute and the RC has displayed your number. 42 is illegal propulsion and 69.1.b.2 is the PCs penalty for gross misconduct (DGM).

Ahh seeing all those familiar names is making me miss summer in the Solent, wish I didnt have to spend all my winters up north and I could join in.

Yet another quality thread takes a detour

+1

Guys, take your personal insults to another thread. There's no shortage of them.

Sorry gents, just having fun with Jambo and his beloved IRC. George brought on the name calling.

Wrong as usual; LOL !

George, have I told you lately that you are a POS.

Sorry gents, just having fun with Jambo and his beloved IRC. George brought on the name calling.

BACK TO THE J111!!

Really, was your comment supposed to be about IRC. Being able to discard a DSQ or not, has nothing to do with the rating system as you well know.

As others have posted here to be successful in UK (and a number of other countries) the J111 needs to perform under IRC if it's to build the critical mass for OD. In any case even with established OD a European J111 will probably spend more than 50% of it's time racing handicap (under whatever system). OD at 30ft and above isn't really that big of a deal here, people don't really aspire to it in cruiser racers, there are plenty of 20-25ft boats you can race OD in if that's what you want.

EDIT: Just did some quick maths and for my J105 and J109 I spent less than 30% of my sailing days doing OD, both designs had/have active OD programmes. Compare that to my SB3/J80/Melges sailing where close to 100% of races were OD. Handicap performance under whatever system is very relevant.

The only real problem with the J111 is it's cost. Over 300K (249 not including equip/electronics/sails/tax). I can think of other ways to spend 300K and do some fast racing.

Market is proving that it is NOT a problem....this is an incredible successful design (based on boats sold) introduced in the lousiest economy in living memory....so, buyers are in fact taking the cost in stride. (I own #4)

The only real problem with the J111 is it's cost. Over 300K (249 not including equip/electronics/sails/tax). I can think of other ways to spend 300K and do some fast racing.

Market is proving that it is NOT a problem....this is an incredible successful design (based on boats sold) introduced in the lousiest economy in living memory....so, buyers are in fact taking the cost in stride. (I own #4)

+1, it's obvious price isn't a problem for those who want to buy it.

Porsche makes some great cars, the only problem is they are too expensive :)

As I was deciding on the J111, I also looked at other boats such as the Archambault 35, C&C115, even a Summit 35. By the time you get it similarly configured (e.g., carbon mast), there wasn't appreciable difference.

So what other ways would you spend $300K other than a used boat?

As I was deciding on the J111, I also looked at other boats such as the Archambault 35, C&C115, even a Summit 35. By the time you get it similarly configured (e.g., carbon mast), there wasn't appreciable difference.

Are you bringing a J111 to Detroit? I would enjoy having more time to race against the design getting to know it's personality. Good for you on treating yourself to that "new boat smell", one of my favorites.

Well, close to Detroit - Lake Huron. I took deliver last spring, Hull 25 named unplugged. Planning to be down for the NOOD next spring.

Are you bringing a J111 to Detroit? I would enjoy having more time to race against the design getting to know it's personality. Good for you on treating yourself to that "new boat smell", one of my favorites.

Well, close to Detroit - Lake Huron. I took deliver last spring, Hull 25 named unplugged. Planning to be down for the NOOD next spring.

Sorry; Detroit Nood Regatta is no more.

Sorry; Detroit Nood Regatta is no more.

Didn't know that. Thanks

The new J-Dream is a J111, arrived yesterday, pictures on owners facebook as of last night. The UK has had one boat a month since European production began. As my realtive sh1tter is at HYS I have seen 3 of them come in / get comissioned.

Arabella (US built boat) now for sale, owner has ordered another

Schmoking Joe

Jenga (agent's boat bought for stock, now for sale)

Munkenbeck and Partners

J-Dream

Plus I know of the Dutch boat which did the Fatsnet 2 handed and Stephane's in Pornic (recent recruit to SA and this thread)

I know it has been a while; but has ARABELLA been sold? Any details?

I know it has been a while; but has ARABELLA been sold? Any details?

Yes and staying in Hamble.

Heard that

22 J/111s have been ordered/delivered in North America - is that correct ?

Heard that

22 J/111s have been ordered/delivered in North America - is that correct ?

No, they had already delivered number #25 back in March 2011. I don't know the current number but would not be surprised if they had built and delivered 50-60 by now.

Next European hull for spring delivery if ordered now is 68 apparently. No 58 will be at London Boat Show.

Next European hull for spring delivery if ordered now is 68 apparently. No 58 will be at London Boat Show.

Is this accurate ?

25 boats sold/delivered for North America

30-35 boats for Europe

5-10 boats for Asia.

Is this accurate ?

30-35 boats for Europe

5-10 boats for Asia.

Well 28 was delivered in NA last May, so I would think it is higher than 25.

Is this accurate ?

30-35 boats for Europe

5-10 boats for Asia.

Well 28 was delivered in NA last May, so I would think it is higher than 25.

Aren't the boats being numbered in sequence no matter where they are built/delivered ? ie - Hull 28 might be a US boat, but Hull 27 is a European boat

All the other J models use a worldwide numbering system, numbers are allocated in batches regionally so actual boats delivered can be less than highest hull number sailing but it should be a reasonable guide.

Interesting to me to see Asia quoted above, when I was out in Singapore and following the scene in HK, Thailand and Aus I saw very few J's - the odd 109, a 130 plus quite a few older J24's especially in Japan and Aus. I'd be rather surprised if 5 sales had been made, perhaps 5 hull numbers have been reserved for the Chinese builder of the J80's

Is this accurate ?

30-35 boats for Europe

5-10 boats for Asia.

if accurate, impressive....60-70 boats in 2 years in this economy at $300K++ is no small feat.

Is this accurate ?

30-35 boats for Europe

5-10 boats for Asia.

if accurate, impressive....60-70 boats in 2 years in this economy at $300K++ is no small feat.

From J UK last week.

"One year on and we will be showing Stuart Sharpe’sbeautiful, shiny, sleek and slippery Joli on the Boardwalk at the TulletPrebon London Boat Show in 2012 (thank-you very much Stuart!) and she is hullnumber 58. In fact, if Santa didn’t bring you quite what you wanted this year,the next available hull for a J/111 for Spring delivery is number 68! So that’s61 J/111s sold in twelve months. Astonishing! "

Stephane's excellent list has 25 in North America. Stephane's List

Great Lakes - 10

San Fran - 3

Long Island Sound - 3

Newport / BB - 2

PNW - 1

Texas - 1

SoCal - 1

Eastern Canada - 4

I took a look at Stephane's list, Ragin' and Velocity are based on the Chesapeake (Annapolis), not on the Great Lakes. There's a 3rd 111 sailing out of Annapolis, I don't know the name/hull number off the top of my head but I've seen it around a couple times. I know there's a new hull waiting for a buyer over at Jabin's too, not sure where it'll end up though. Hopefully they'll find another couple buyers around here so we can do some local OD racing!

Great Lakes - 10

San Fran - 3

Long Island Sound - 3

Newport / BB - 2

PNW - 1

Texas - 1

SoCal - 1

Eastern Canada - 4

There is at least one (2 to be precise) in the Annapolis area. 1 might still be a dealer boat, but the other was out racing this Fall.

Great Lakes - 10

San Fran - 3

Long Island Sound - 3

Newport / BB - 2

PNW - 1

Texas - 1

SoCal - 1

Eastern Canada - 4

I took a look at Stephane's list, Ragin' and Velocity are based on the Chesapeake (Annapolis), not on the Great Lakes. There's a 3rd 111 sailing out of Annapolis, I don't know the name/hull number off the top of my head but I've seen it around a couple times. I know there's a new hull waiting for a buyer over at Jabin's too, not sure where it'll end up though. Hopefully they'll find another couple buyers around here so we can do some local OD racing!

The third on the water in Annapolis cruises and daysails most under the name of Pneumatic I believe.

So, 25 sold (or delivered) to retail customers in say 20 months in North America ?

I guess as a point of comparison I had J120 hull 98 which was built in the summer of 98. That would have been 4 years after production started. Given the economy, I think that run in basically the first full year is pretty successful and there are still orders in production as far as I know. THey have been putting them out as fast as they can build at CCF, at least until the fall.

European J111 are ordered until hull 63 , 3 more are quickly transform

the first OD Regatta is Spi Ouest France with ten boats minimum 2012/04/04

Stephane Le Jouet

Do you have you any guess on which boats will turn out for Spi Ouest?

BTW, we spent New Year in Sydney and had the chance to go out sailing with Ray Entwistles Jake on New Years Day...

6634211189_6bda99f7ca_z.jpg

There is a 4th, broker boat, in San Francisco sailing now.

Yes...and for Stephane's list...she is hull #44 named "JAVELIN."

Is this (approx) correct ?

North America:

19-21 Hulls to retail customers

3-6 Hulls currently in stock at Dealers

Covering period from August 2010 to Dec 2011

We hope for 4 or 5 French 3 or 4 English and probably 1 Swedish, Spanish, Belgium

5 Nations for the first J111 OD regatta

They were racing OD on Lake Michigan last summer with 6 on the line.

1325880873[/url]' post='3535454']

Sport - come up with a logical reason for wanting the numbers, then send it to Jboats.

20 boats sold in 15 months vs. a total US market of 1900 sold over same period = 1% market share

Sport - come up with a logical reason for wanting the numbers, then send it to Jboats.

20 boats sold in 15 months vs. a total US market of 1900 sold over same period = 1% market share

It's a $350,000 36.5' racer cruiser. You are saying that there are 1900 new boats in that target market sold in 15 months? Wow. The US Economy is hotter than I thought.

pay attention, 6924. I took retail delivery of hull 25 in early April of 2011. first hulls were produced in early 2010. What's your agenda here?

These are really really unusually good looking J boats...and they're one hell of a lot of fun to sail. They're simple as hell, and while there aren't many strings to pull...you kind of have to pull all of them at the same time when you're in the corners...coordinating which hands pull which strings is essential. They power up quickly, are very well mannered...I honestly just love sailing on the damn thing. You'll want 8 bodies in windy venues...max out the weight, position it correctly...you'll need it.

One more thing...it's sensitive to rig tension...this isn't a boat where you can set it and forget it if you want to do well.

In the right conditions I would expect the FT10 to be faster (it is a very fast boat). In most conditions I would hope the J111 would be faster in most conditions.

Um, FT10M finishes 39+mins ahead of J111 in Malibu Return Race this past weekend.

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=130395

All 6 J111's beat the FT10 in the CYC Mac by 2-4 hours (that would be about 15 miles). Everybody is entitled to the race of their lives once in a lifetime.

How did those time differences play out over the handicap correction?

Um, FT10M finishes 39+mins ahead of J111 in Malibu Return Race this past weekend.

All 6 J111's beat the FT10 in the CYC Mac by 2-4 hours (that would be about 15 miles). Everybody is entitled to the race of their lives once in a lifetime.

The FT had to give all the 111's time. sooo..

Really? What I thought the rating on the J/111 was falling in the 36-42 range and in most area's a FT10 is 48-54

keep in mind we have a 3 rating system in SoCal. The delta between the bouy rating and the offwind rating is greater depending on the downwind potential of the boat. The J/111 was given a provisional temporary random leg rating for this race only since it doesn't have an approved rating yet. If the boat ends up rating 30 Random Leg then it most likely would have a rating in the 36-39ish region for bouy. I believe this was also the owners first race.

[

The FT rates 54 here in SF, the 111 rates 36, so the 111 gives the FT time, not the other way around

GGYC Midwinter Results http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_detail.cfm?Race_Number=3&eID=566

I'm sorry to say that it isn't even close.

Unfortunately I don't believe SF has seen the potential yet of a well sailed FT10. No offense to the owners up there but the one you are using in your results has never sailed in a OD event. The level that the upper ends of the fleet sail at in SoCal and the PNW are more on par with what eightball did in your example. Really doesn't make much sense to compare the boats unless you have equally talented teams. Not to knock any of the boats I think the J/111 is a great boat.

EWS has it pretty right... looking at those same results, do you conclude that a Farr 30 is boat for boat in the same bull park (and some time faster) than a 111?

Good luck with the norcal fleet, it was great to see the 4 111s going for it on saturday... just make sure you finish in front of all the other 111s, then who cares what the other boats are doing...

Cazza

I think IRC Boat is for tree years maximum

J111 OD is for ten years minimum

Stephanie,

How many 111s will be coming to spi ouest?

Jem

I think IRC Boat is for tree years maximum

J111 OD is for ten years minimum

Stephanie,

How many 111s will be coming to spi ouest?

Jem

Sorry, just caught up with the last page and seen ten for spi ouest.

Hummmnnn...

J

GGYC Midwinter Results http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_detail.cfm?Race_Number=3&eID=566

I'm sorry to say that it isn't even close.

Unfortunately I don't believe SF has seen the potential yet of a well sailed FT10. No offense to the owners up there but the one you are using in your results has never sailed in a OD event. The level that the upper ends of the fleet sail at in SoCal and the PNW are more on par with what eightball did in your example. Really doesn't make much sense to compare the boats unless you have equally talented teams. Not to knock any of the boats I think the J/111 is a great boat.

There is only one way to find out.......the only evidence we have is what we see on the water....and it's not compelling

[

The FT rates 54 here in SF, the 111 rates 36, so the 111 gives the FT time, not the other way around

We were talking about the Chicago to Mackinac Race using ORR mainly downwind. Under that scoring system the FT rated .990 and the 111 rated around .967 TCF.

PHRF probably would have been another story.

Have you more information

Hull #NameCountryPageWebSite1JakeAUSO 2ImpulseUSAO 3HotRum IIUSAO 4lnvisibleHandUSAO 5BlastCANO 6ArabellaUKP 7007 HasUSAO 8VelocityUSAO 9 NZL 10Kairos SUlP 11Kontiki VUSAO 12KashmirUSAO 13 COL 14 CANO 15NoSurpriseUSAO 16PartnershipUSAO 17MadMenUSAO 18AlphalinkFRAP 19TrueLoveUKP 20ShmokingJoeUKP 21MistyUSAO 22MentalUSAO 23VoltefaceCANO 24Nighthawk USAO 25UnpluggedUSAO 26AndiamoUSAO 27 28WarlockCANO 29 30Wicked 2.0USAO 31 32 CAN 33Ragin'USAO 34JSpiritUKP 35JengaVllUKP Hull #NameCountryPageWeb