Editor

J/111 Goes Sailing...

j111hull-1.jpg

At CDG, flying home after a day at JB Composites in France.

It's now official that Blur3 is a J/111.

Plan A is to have the boat delivered to Spi Ouest in april, but there's still some work to be done to get that planned and crew committed. Several other owners from around Europe are looking at the same option, so final hull # depends on how/when we all decide to get our boats commissioned.

You finally broke down, good for you!

j111hull-1.jpg

Plan A is to have the boat delivered to Spi Ouest in april, but there's still some work to be done to get that planned and crew committed. Several other owners from around Europe are looking at the same option, so final hull # depends on how/when we all decide to get our boats commissioned.

Somebody's gonna get a really sweet and well sorted 109 out of the deal too!

j111hull-1.jpg

Looks good, bro.

DG

I was on a J111 recently at a boatshow. I've no doubt their quick but by god are they overpriced for what you get. Fair dues to J Boats if they can persuade people to part with that kind of cash for a boat that must be very cheap to manufacture in relative terms.

Compared to what, for example?

j111hull-1.jpg

Cool!

I was on a J111 recently at a boatshow. I've no doubt their quick but by god are they overpriced for what you get. Fair dues to J Boats if they can persuade people to part with that kind of cash for a boat that must be very cheap to manufacture in relative terms.

Compared to what, for example?

Don't engage in this debate again. If corkob wanna find out what "overpriced" means - I suggest he go visit the production at J/boats and Beneteau. Take a closer look at coretec/foam layout, glass/resin levels, weight control, keel mould/finsih, deck gear, Hall Spar nanotube carbon mast, sprit specs, ... When you got the numbers, we'll discuss value instead of price.

70+ sold boats and ramped up production is proof enough :)

But, this is SA, so it would be interesting to know what corkob thinks is great value for money if you wanted a 36' speedster?

You wouldn't happen to sell or own a J111 by any chance? I smell paranoa and a vested interest somewhere.

You wouldn't happen to sell or own a J111 by any chance? I smell paranoa and a vested interest somewhere.

If you bothered to read the thread you'll find I just bought one.

I did my homework on the boat before buying one (3 test sails with different boats in different conditions + 3 visits to production both in the US and in France + visit to Hall Spars). Plus racing an overpriced J/109 for 5 years.

But I'm sure your 10 minutes analysis after seeing a boat on a boat show is the correct one.

Oh, and thanks for the complete list of better alternatives.

If you bothered to read the thread you'll find I just bought one.

I did my homework on the boat before buying one (3 test sails with different boats in different conditions + 3 visits to production both in the US and in France + visit to Hall Spars). Plus racing an overpriced J/109 for 5 years.

But I'm sure your 10 minutes analysis after seeing a boat on a boat show is the correct one.

Oh, and thanks for the complete list of better alternatives.

yes, i own one as well and did fairly extensive comparisons before my decision. So I'm always curious to see more facts than opinion. So, Corkob, what say you? What would you consider better value in a comparably performing and constructed boat?

Hey Guys, different strokes for different folks and whatever happened to the right to express an opinion? After all if we all sailed J-111's it would be very boring wouldn't it . I was impressed with the lines and cockpit layout of the J-111. My impression however is that it felt cheap and poorly finished for the price (with the exception of the Hall spars mast). In addition the front cabin is unusable due to the presence of the bow sprit and I expect the boat will be constantly wet taking water through the bow sprit when under load. I would consider the interior to be virtually unusable from a cruising perspective because of this which rules out any real dual purpose aspect to the boat which is to me a huge disadvantage. In my view a boat should be both fast and usable. I am sure she is a rocket off the wind in a blow but I couldn't imagine doing a long offshore in one which is something I require a boat to be able to do. Also having raced against J109's and J133's I am not at all convinced about the J sprit in windward leeward courses. For a similarly paced boat I would opt for either an X41 - better quality, more versatile having a pole, much better interior, excellent resale, dual purpose and better looking. I accept that the X rates a bit higher and costs a bit more but not that much and in my view worth the premium. Alternatively an Elan 410 which would be a good deal cheaper, an Archambault 40RC which again would be cheaper or a First 40CR which would be considerably cheaper. If size is your issue then an X35, an A35 or a First 35 would all be much cheaper and with lower ratings. All the above are competitive boats with proven track records. Obviously everyone has different priorities when looking at boats. What other boats did you consider before coming to your decision?

Hey Guys, different strokes for different folks and whatever happened to the right to express an opinion? After all if we all sailed J-111's it would be very boring wouldn't it . I was impressed with the lines and cockpit layout of the J-111. My impression however is that it felt cheap and poorly finished for the price (with the exception of the Hall spars mast). In addition the front cabin is unusable due to the presence of the bow sprit and I expect the boat will be constantly wet taking water through the bow sprit when under load. I would consider the interior to be virtually unusable from a cruising perspective because of this which rules out any real dual purpose aspect to the boat which is to me a huge disadvantage. In my view a boat should be both fast and usable. I am sure she is a rocket off the wind in a blow but I couldn't imagine doing a long offshore in one which is something I require a boat to be able to do. Also having raced against J109's and J133's I am not at all convinced about the J sprit in windward leeward courses. For a similarly paced boat I would opt for either an X41 - better quality, more versatile having a pole, much better interior, excellent resale, dual purpose and better looking. I accept that the X rates a bit higher and costs a bit more but not that much and in my view worth the premium. Alternatively an Elan 410 which would be a good deal cheaper, an Archambault 40RC which again would be cheaper or a First 40CR which would be considerably cheaper. If size is your issue then an X35, an A35 or a First 35 would all be much cheaper and with lower ratings. All the above are competitive boats with proven track records. Obviously everyone has different priorities when looking at boats. What other boats did you consider before coming to your decision?

Valid points (and some misconceptions about sprits).

I considered X-35 and A35 when I bought the J/109 - more a matter of taste than anything. And today the First 35 would be on the list as well. Probably the First 35 and 40 are the most sensible choices if you want a cruiser/racer.

But looking at the racer/cruiser segment from the "overpriced" perspective, I lost less money on my J/109 than my friends who got X-35 and A-35 at the same time. And I can today get a race ready 2007 X-41 for the same money I got when I sold my 2007 J/109 three weeks ago (both boats bought new in 2007 and raced in Scandinavia). So "excellent resale" might mean different things to different people.

In the end both Xp 38, J/111 and First 40 are selling very well - but in completely different segments of the market. You might think that a J/111 is overpriced and I might think that 520.000 USD is a bit much for a well speced Xp38. But both boats are still selling, so I guess both J and X got their pricing right :)

Did you not find with your J109 that on a windward leeward course that you struggled against poled boats? Most certainly offshore the disadvantage seems to evaporate somewhat. By the way, well wear with the new boat. I'm sure you'll have great fun with it. Will she not be a bit of a handful shorthanded though?

Did you not find with your J109 that on a windward leeward course that you struggled against poled boats? Most certainly offshore the disadvantage seems to evaporate somewhat. By the way, well wear with the new boat. I'm sure you'll have great fun with it. Will she not be a bit of a handful shorthanded though?

With the J/109 we've won W/L races against X-35 and First 35 and have no problem going as deep as we need to keep pace. Offshore we don't worry and regulary beat IMX-40 and Elan 410 on the water if it's a long downwind leg... With the J/111 last weekend (3 W/L races under ORC in Holland) we actually sailed deeper than some of Europe's best X-35's in 4-6 knots of breeze. Scored 1-1-2 (lost out to a J/122 in the last race).

http://www.grevelingencup.nl/index.php/wedstrijdinformatie/resultaten.html

It's all about assy design - and it's come a long way just in the last 3-4 years.

Naturally it will be a handfull solo and doublehanded, but because of weight and sailplan the loads are much less than some of the alternatives. The J/111 I raced in Holland actually led Fastnet Doublehanded at the rock (and they also won Round Dritain and Ireland Doublehanded in a J/109 a couple of years ago).

17870_0_2_photo_FSNT11cb_56498.jpg

Alternatively an Elan 410 which would be a good deal cheaper, an Archambault 40RC which again would be cheaper or a First 40CR which would be considerably cheaper. If size is your issue then an X35, an A35 or a First 35 would all be much cheaper and with lower ratings. All the above are competitive boats with proven track records. Obviously everyone has different priorities when looking at boats. What other boats did you consider before coming to your decision?

Just on the E410, actually doesnt sail to its rating as well as could be hoped (or at least not in some configurations) the one very competitive one in the Solent was disappointed by it by all accounts and were considering switching back to their old Elan 40. Also not very dry offshore, I have no idea where that water came from but there was a lot of it!

Congratulations.

Spi Ouest is a great regatta, get yourself over there for a few days of training/shakedown then enjoy. My top tip is to stay at Lodge Kerisper

I considered X-35 and A35 when I bought the J/109 - more a matter of taste than anything. And today the First 35 would be on the list as well. Probably the First 35 and 40 are the most sensible choices if you want a cruiser/racer.

But looking at the racer/cruiser segment from the "overpriced" perspective, I lost less money on my J/109 than my friends who got X-35 and A-35 at the same time. And I can today get a race ready 2007 X-41 for the same money I got when I sold my 2007 J/109 three weeks ago (both boats bought new in 2007 and raced in Scandinavia). So "excellent resale" might mean different things to different people.

In the end both Xp 38, J/111 and First 40 are selling very well - but in completely different segments of the market. You might think that a J/111 is overpriced and I might think that 520.000 USD is a bit much for a well speced Xp38. But both boats are still selling, so I guess both J and X got their pricing right :)

Ahh, my faith in the Irish (Corkob, that is) is restored.... I also considered the A35 and X-35 as well as the First 35 as pretty much my shortlist. I wanted a sprit boat (specifically for better shorthanded capability) vs traditional symmetric which lowered the F35 and X35. Manufacturer and dealer support were also considerations on the X-35 and A35. Compared pricing on all with similar specs. Once you add carbon masts to these, the pricing came much closer (at least here in the States). Since cruising isn't that much of a priority for me, I find the 111 interior fine for my purposes (race deliveries, overnight during regatta's, etc.) and it's very easy to setup for offshore. I've had no problems with water coming through the sprit due to its design, however a few teething issues with a new boat that have been addressed. In terms of resale, J's have always done well and I felt that that would hold up better here in the States than the others that have limited exposure. Build quality may mean different things to different people (level of finish vs. construction, for example). On my old boat, if someone jumped on the deck, the whole boat shook. On the J, it's just rock solid while being a ton lighter and 6 foot longer.

Snip

It's all about assy design - and it's come a long way just in the last 3-4 years.

Naturally it will be a handfull solo and doublehanded, but because of weight and sailplan the loads are much less than some of the alternatives. The J/111 I raced in Holland actually led Fastnet Doublehanded at the rock (and they also won Round Dritain and Ireland Doublehanded in a J/109 a couple of years ago).

Snipety, snip.

Blur

Which boat/race was that? Only one I can think of from (literally) a couple of years ago is RWYC RBI2H from Plymouth, don't recall a 109 winning it, but can't find results on line atm.

Actually think that 111 will make a great shorthanded offshore boat, as you say, less loaded than a more typical IRC boat, enough sail area to be a challenge/rewarding, has a rating that it has shown it can sail to off W/L courses, its smack in the middle of my ideal size range for short handed racing and has an interior that provides everything you need, without a lot of unnecessary ballast.

J/111s Mental and Wicked having a good day in Key West, an interesting mix of boats having decent success in their class. Anyone have more info?

Mental has StuJ, Wicked has Neal Fowler calling shots. Couple of smarties.

Lighter wind than Mon + Tues would even things out a bit vs the 122.

Ahh, my faith in the Irish (Corkob, that is) is restored.... I also considered the A35 and X-35 as well as the First 35 as pretty much my shortlist. I wanted a sprit boat (specifically for better shorthanded capability) vs traditional symmetric which lowered the F35 and X35. Manufacturer and dealer support were also considerations on the X-35 and A35. Compared pricing on all with similar specs. Once you add carbon masts to these, the pricing came much closer (at least here in the States). Since cruising isn't that much of a priority for me, I find the 111 interior fine for my purposes (race deliveries, overnight during regatta's, etc.) and it's very easy to setup for offshore. I've had no problems with water coming through the sprit due to its design, however a few teething issues with a new boat that have been addressed. In terms of resale, J's have always done well and I felt that that would hold up better here in the States than the others that have limited exposure. Build quality may mean different things to different people (level of finish vs. construction, for example). On my old boat, if someone jumped on the deck, the whole boat shook. On the J, it's just rock solid while being a ton lighter and 6 foot longer.

I appreciate where your coming from there. You need a brand awareness in a locality to maintain values. Some of the European brands are probably relatively unknown in the states and vice versa. The serious Regatta campaigners in Ireland (the few that are left after the Celtic Tiger gasped its last) are dominanted by Ker and Mills design boats. There is only one J-111 in Ireland at present - WOW which sails out of the Royal Irish YC in Dublin. This will get its first real test in Cork Week during the coming July. Nice to see Blurs picture of the J 111 at the Fastnet. This would have been the day after Rambler 100 turned on its back, three or four miles to the South after rounding the rock. Lovely shot of the boat although I must confess of having seen enough of the Fastnet light over the years. Here's some footage of the Kinsale Fastnet from the MCM on my boat. There's even a J in it. See it sail past as if we were stopped (actually we were stopped) at the Old Head of Kinsale. We did catch him up............. eventually.

Nice vid and beautiful scenery.

No excuse with the talent on Wicked for them to not be winning. Driver learned to sail with Dickson in the SORC days!!!

pjrs - one of the first 109's won the 2 handed RBI - back in 2004 or something like that. Same guy then went on the "do well" in the Fastnet 2H but was DSQ'd for sailing with an undeclared genoa whilst being rated just for a small 3, there was a queue of us protesting him. We saw him with the big sail up and then changing down in Poole Bay, he'd been told by along list of peope to not take the sail or get his rating changed. I was so slow by the time I got to Plymouth he'd been protested and DSQ'd !

BTW I don't think that's the same folk as on the 111 this time.

No excuse with the talent on Wicked for them to not be winning. Driver learned to sail with Dickson in the SORC days!!!

Oh, the stories we've heard about sailing with "Dicko" aboard Scaramouche!

Fortunately he learned more from Duplin than he did from the douchebag from down under.

pjrs - one of the first 109's won the 2 handed RBI - back in 2004 or something like that. Same guy then went on the "do well" in the Fastnet 2H but was DSQ'd for sailing with an undeclared genoa whilst being rated just for a small 3, there was a queue of us protesting him. We saw him with the big sail up and then changing down in Poole Bay, he'd been told by along list of peope to not take the sail or get his rating changed. I was so slow by the time I got to Plymouth he'd been protested and DSQ'd !

Cheers Jambalaya, Blur is this the boat you were talking about?

Might be. Just came up in a discussione when I was in The Netherlands. Couldn't find the old results.

Fortunately he learned more from Duplin than he did from the douchebag from down under.

Looks like he needs to go back for a few more lessons

Might be. Just came up in a discussione when I was in The Netherlands. Couldn't find the old results.

With a bit more digging, it looks like it was the 2002 race when co-skipper of J-Xcentric won RBI

'Robin Verhoef, co-skipper of J/111, J-Xcentric is no stranger to short handed racing. In 2002, the Dutchman won the grueling Two Handed Round Britain and Ireland Race.'

linky

Not the same guy who got DSQ from 2h Fastnet - Henk Bulthuis in 2005.

Hijack over - back to your scheduled J111 programme.....

With a bit more digging, it looks like it was the 2002 race when co-skipper of J-Xcentric won RBI

'Robin Verhoef, co-skipper of J/111, J-Xcentric is no stranger to short handed racing. In 2002, the Dutchman won the grueling Two Handed Round Britain and Ireland Race.'

linky

Thanks. Robin is a great guy and dedicated short-handed racer.

He also did the RBI on a Class 40 a couple of years ago.

linky

Thanks. Robin is a great guy and dedicated short-handed racer.

He also did the RBI on a Class 40 a couple of years ago.

Blur glad to hear you finally pulled the trigger on the J/111. I think your downwind rides may be a tad more exciting than on the 109. Just curious, where is yours being built, and what is the build time looking like? Are we still talking over a year from order to delivery?

Looking forward to seeing your updates once she splashes.

You can buy a European J111 for delivery before the summer. As per Blur's post his boat was built by J-Europe

linky

I think the RBI team was Bulthuis (owner) and Verhoef. I chatted to Robin at Plymouth this year, very nice guy, not the sort to claim he didn't understand IRC

You can buy a European J111 for delivery before the summer. As per Blur's post his boat was built by J-Europe

Yup. Next 2-3 boats from JB Composites in France will go directly to Spi Ouest in late march.

Next one after that might be late april. They have the possibility to increase capacity, but it times like this it's a good thing to see the signed orders first.

post-5025-085117800 1327138273_thumb.jpg

love the j111 and how successful it is, the boat is stuning, but that pic really reminds me of another boat, cant put my finger n it at the moment.

i got an email from McMichaels (big NYC area J Boat dealer), saying they have a demo 111 for sale - not sure if it's theirs, or where it is.

ahh remembered now. unfortunatly i cant seem to find a good photo, but it looks alot like the corby 35 njos ex converting machine 92,

ahh remembered now. unfortunatly i cant seem to find a good photo, but it looks alot like the corby 35 njos ex converting machine 92,

http://web.me.com/jcboats/CorbyYachts/Njos.html

Speaking of Corby, my friend has a 36' "Inga from Sweden".

http://web.me.com/jcboats/CorbyYachts/Inga_from_Sweden.html

Stunning boat, with some very nice details/gear:

http://www.blur.se/2010/08/12/sweet-corby-36-gimp/

And with the J/111 we end up pretty much at the same rating. Will be fun!

Njos and a J111 looking a lot like each other... Behave...

Next you will be saying that she is a better boat!

http://web.me.com/jc...achts/Njos.html

Speaking of Corby, my friend has a 36' "Inga from Sweden".

http://web.me.com/jc...rom_Sweden.html

Stunning boat, with some very nice details/gear:

http://www.blur.se/2...-corby-36-gimp/

And with the J/111 we end up pretty much at the same rating. Will be fun!

Inga looks like a very sexy lady...

Test sail this am in 25-30kn in the Solent - chuffin 'eck.

Jeez-Louise is now a 111 from a 109. Hull no 35.

Looking forward to it...

J

Looking forward to it...

J

Pics or it didn't happen!

Looking forward to it...

J

What boat did you ride on?

Good to hear that you are joining the party...

When is expected delivery?

Looking forward to it...

J

What boat did you ride on?

Good to hear that you are joining the party...

When is expected delivery?

Should have looked at what hull 35 is/was... Doh!

Can't recall what it is now, Sail no 5811, we have it from now, but it'll be starting after the skiiing season. We'll be trolling behind J-Dream to see how we should really be sailing it.

A light season this year, Hamble based, maybe back to Brighton next year, our home port...

J

Looking forward to it...

J

Pics or it didn't happen!

You seriously think we had time to take piccies!

J-111 - dream machine

Hi guys,

i've read all about this issue...we just ordered our J-111, we will be delivered in France, at la Trinité sur mer for the Spi Ouest France race. Hull N°69.

In november 2011, we where thinking of buying a new boat within the next 18 months and went to the Paris boatshow in december.

As we are sailing racers since 6 years now, we had a JOD 35 to start our passion, followed by an Open 45, Ice Black, former OSTAR, Route du Rhum and Transat Jacques Vabre winner, but looking to a new boat!

Our playground is the North Sea, South of UK, Bretagne in France?

We where interested by these following boats;

JPK 10.10

X Yachts 38Xp

Archambault 35

Elan 350

J-109

Beneteau First 40

Salona 38

We've met all of these brands, discussed price and options, IRC ratings, and had many trials with these boats.

We went to Les Sables d'Olonne, in France to visit J-Composite, producer for J-Boats Europe. We saw a lot of nice boats, the J97, lots of J80's, the brand new J108, of course a J-109, and a J-111. After the visit, the people form J-boats proposed us the brand new J-111..instead of the 109 we were looking for.

The day after we had a test, normally planned with the 109, but last minute changed with the 111. After 30mins, we were convinced. This is it. Instead of 18 months, we did it in 4 months! This is just an crazy story!

The biggest issue in sailing is the program you are doing or fixing to do ;-)

Cruising in the north is not very sexy, or shiny...We are living in Brussels, sailing is our "stress relieve", buying a cruiser-racer, thinking that we'll do some days with our family @ North sea?

Or going for the real deal, a performer IRC and OD racer, with incredible speed, nearly empty inside, but build with quality and professional suppliers?

The JPK 10.10 is a great deal. IRC is between 1.003 - 1.006, price full options carbon rigging, .... around 160k€. But who knows JPK? How will it be a good resale in a few years?

A35 is looking old...but is still a great deal.

Ker 40 is to expensive...

J 111...the next J generation OD top speed boat!

WIth J, you can rely on a good value throughout the years.

The J-111 is just a great boat...for the people who love to race, around buoys, LW/WW, Offshore, Shorthanded, OD....

Of course, we will sail with our family but on rented heavy cruising boats with airco, plasma, and hot showers....The deal is done!

So the next issue is to find a name... ;-)

Hope to meet you one of these days...on the water or in the harbour! Let's stay in touch.... we are really excited with this new "toy4buoys"!

Best regs,

Jean Patrick

J-111 - dream machine

Hi guys,

i've read all about this issue...we just ordered our J-111, we will be delivered in France, at la Trinité sur mer for the Spi Ouest France race. Hull N°69.

In november 2011, we where thinking of buying a new boat within the next 18 months and went to the Paris boatshow in december.

As we are sailing racers since 6 years now, we had a JOD 35 to start our passion, followed by an Open 45, Ice Black, former OSTAR, Route du Rhum and Transat Jacques Vabre winner, but looking to a new boat!

JPK 10.10

X Yachts 38Xp

Archambault 35

Elan 350

J-109

Beneteau First 40

Salona 38

We've met all of these brands, discussed price and options, IRC ratings, and had many trials with these boats.

We went to Les Sables d'Olonne, in France to visit J-Composite, producer for J-Boats Europe. We saw a lot of nice boats, the J97, lots of J80's, the brand new J108, of course a J-109, and a J-111. After the visit, the people form J-boats proposed us the brand new J-111..instead of the 109 we were looking for.

The day after we had a test, normally planned with the 109, but last minute changed with the 111. After 30mins, we were convinced. This is it. Instead of 18 months, we did it in 4 months! This is just an crazy story!

Cruising in the north is not very sexy, or shiny...We are living in Brussels, sailing is our "stress relieve", buying a cruiser-racer, thinking that we'll do some days with our family @ North sea?

Or going for the real deal, a performer IRC and OD racer, with incredible speed, nearly empty inside, but build with quality and professional suppliers?

The JPK 10.10 is a great deal. IRC is between 1.003 - 1.006, price full options carbon rigging, .... around 160k€. But who knows JPK? How will it be a good resale in a few years?

The J-111 is just a great boat...for the people who love to race, around buoys, LW/WW, Offshore, Shorthanded, OD....

Of course, we will sail with our family but on rented heavy cruising boats with airco, plasma, and hot showers....The deal is done!

Hope to meet you one of these days...on the water or in the harbour! Let's stay in touch.... we are really excited with this new "toy4buoys"!

Best regs,

Jean Patrick

J108?

Am I the only one who hasn't heard of this boat?

J-111 - dream machine

Hi guys,

JPK 10.10

X Yachts 38Xp

Archambault 35

Elan 350

J-109

Beneteau First 40

Salona 38

Best regs,

Jean Patrick

J108?

Am I the only one who hasn't heard of this boat?

Like a J/109 with a centerboard and no horsepower

J108_FranceTrialSail.jpg

J-111 - dream machine

Hi guys,

JPK 10.10

X Yachts 38Xp

Archambault 35

Elan 350

J-109

Beneteau First 40

Salona 38

Best regs,

Jean Patrick

good luck Jean

Autopilot question:

Anybody installed an autopilot on a J111?

As the (carbon) rudder stock is not round but kind of oval, it seems to be difficult to find a suitable tiller arm. So I think of building a custom made part to attach the autopilot to the quadrant directly.

What do you think about this idea?

What solution has been found on the other J111s to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for all serious answers.

brico

Autopilot question:

As the (carbon) rudder stock is not round but kind of oval, it seems to be difficult to find a suitable tiller arm. So I think of building a custom made part to attach the autopilot to the quadrant directly.

brico

On Kashmir, we started by buying the premade aluminum tiller arm from edson. It would work fine and you should check out their website. We ended up not using it and having Blair Ross make us two simple carbon plates that bolt on to the back of the quadrant itself. We have a raymarine setup that is completely removable so that the only thing on the boat while we are racing are the two 6 oz carbon attachment plates and the drive unit mounting bracket. Its a great setup.

Autopilot question:

brico

On Kashmir, we started by buying the premade aluminum tiller arm from edson. It would work fine and you should check out their website. We ended up not using it and having Blair Ross make us two simple carbon plates that bolt on to the back of the quadrant itself. We have a raymarine setup that is completely removable so that the only thing on the boat while we are racing are the two 6 oz carbon attachment plates and the drive unit mounting bracket. Its a great setup.

Thank you

What is the dimension of the carbon plates? Do you have drawings?

Autopilot question:

brico

edasner,

If you could post photographs, that would be great.

Cheers

Jem

Autopilot question:

brico

edasner,

If you could post photographs, that would be great.

Cheers

Jem

No drawings but here is a pic. You could have Blair make you a set. You can reach him directly at Blair@sscomposites.com

post-15818-032641100 1328198961_thumb.jpg

Thank you,

this solution doesn't work on the european boat: On the US boat, the max possible angle of the rudder is defined by a rope (the visible blue rope on your picture). On the european boat, there is no rope but a vertical bar. This bar not only limits the movement of the quadrant; it also disables the lower one of the two carbon parts from crossing the middle position.

brico

Thank you,

this solution doesn't work on the european boat: On the US boat, the max possible angle of the rudder is defined by a rope (the visible blue rope on your picture). On the european boat, there is no rope but a vertical bar. This bar not only limits the movement of the quadrant; it also disables the lower one of the two carbon parts from crossing the middle position.

brico

Too bad.. it works well for us. You should probably use the edson arm then.

Here's how it's done on the European boats. I've seen people mounting tha autopilot directly to the quadrant and squeezing the autopilot into the space in front of the small bulkhead. Seems extremely hard to do, and tough to both service and couple/decouple. Still trying to find a good way of doing this!?!?

Maybe replace the stop with Dyneema lines and then do a proper arm in carbon pointing aft... Thanks for the photo.

Our plan is to go with NKE and have someone mount it in France before Spi Ouest in april.

post-5025-033812100 1328208962_thumb.jpg

Actually, here's my plan after giving it some thought: remove the stop. make one carbon arm, pointing aft, attach it directly to the rudder axis (oval - will try to get a drawing). Then it would be easy to set two new stops as endpoints for that arm?

International J/111 Regatta Schedule

The International J/111 Regatta Schedule for 2012 is outlined below for one-design and offshore events for J/111s located in Europe (UK/ Ireland/ France/ Sweden) and for the Americas (East, Pacific, Great Lakes).

The J/111 has already achieved phenomenal race results under IRC, ORR and PHRF handicap systems including class wins at the Round the Island Race, Cowes Week, Key West Race Week and Annapolis Race Week, to name just a few. However, the intention has always been to launch an International One Design Class as soon as a viable number of J/111s had been sold and were out on the water racing. This point has now been reached: over seventy-five J/111s have been sold and fifty of these are already sailing!

The J/111 Class has been created as a true one-design Class where the real test when raced is between crews and not boats and equipment. The fundamental objective of the J/111 class rules is to ensure this concept is maintained. J/111 hulls, appendages and rigs are only be produced by a licensed manufacturer (every single boat is weighed on a load-cell prior to leaving the factory) and all J/111 sails measurement will be controlled under the ISAF Certification system.

The J/111 Class Association will initially be administered by both J/Boats in Newport and Key Yachting Ltd in the UK for the J/111 owners on an international basis. The intent is to have the formalized J/111 Class organization operating by Fall 2012 by J/111 owners. For more information on the J/111 or on the regatta schedule detailed below, please contact Becci Eplett at Key Yachting Ltd or J/Boats Newport.

In addition, we suggest you look at Peter Gustafsson's BLUR.SE, he’s sailing the European circuit, and the French LE JOUET websites for an example of how teams are organizing in Europe. A J/111 Class website will be on-line soon.

England/Ireland/France

Mar 18-Apr 29 – Warsash Spring Series

Apr 5-9 – SPI Ouest France

Apr 28 – Tour de Belle-Ile

May 18-20 – Vice Admiral's Cup

May 25-28 – Grand Prix Crouesty

Jun 1-5 – Record SNSM

Jun 9-10 – Royal Southern YC Regatta

Jun 30 – JP Morgan Round the Island Race

Jul 7-13 – Cork Week

Jul 25-28 – J-Cup 2012

Aug 11-18 – Cowes Week & J/111 Europeans

East Coast Circuit

May 4-6 – Annapolis SW NOOD

Jun 8-10 – NYYC Annual Regatta

Jul 13-15 – SailNewport Regatta

Jul 18-22 – NYYC Race Week & J/111 East Coasts

Aug 3-5 – Buzzards Bay Regatta

Aug 17-18 – Ida Lewis Distance Race

Great Lakes Circuit

Jun 2-3 – Colors Regatta-

Jun 8-10 – Chicago SW NOOD

Jul 21-24 – Chicago-Mackinac Race

Jul 27-29 – Harbor Springs Regatta & J/111 Great Lakes

Aug 10-12 – Verve Cup Regatta

Pacific Coast Circuit

May 4-6 – Yachting Cup

May 25-26 – Spinnaker Cup

Jun 13-17 – Coastal Cup

Jun 22-2 – Long Beach Race Week

Jul 27-29 – Aldo Alessio Regatta

Sep 5-9 – Big Boat Series & J/111 Pacific Coasts

Future International Regattas

2013 – J/111 European Championship, France

2013 – J/111 World Championship, USA

2014 – J/111 World Championship, UK

Actually, here's my plan after giving it some thought: remove the stop. make one carbon arm, pointing aft, attach it directly to the rudder axis (oval - will try to get a drawing). Then it would be easy to set two new stops as endpoints for that arm?

You plan sounds like it would work much like ours. In looking at your picture, you might want to give some thought to mounting the carbon arm to the two square tabs on the quadrant where the steering cable turns in from the turnbuckles. It appears you could drill through those tabs and make a Y shaped arm that attaches to them. Just a thought as attaching ours to the quadrant worked out very well.

\\BTW - its interesting that the euro boats have carbon rudder posts. Ours appears to be aluminum.

On Le Jouet,

For the pin it's very easy and ok

For the foot the piece is not strong enough

We must make a new stratification

My link (foot page)

Just to understand. Is the autopilot not strong enough? Or the bulkhead where you mounted it?

I embedded your video below. Is that "tiller arm" fitting really long enough? Should be 250 mm. Also, the alignment is off.

the bulkhead where i mounted it, is not enought strong.

Generally, at least, you should add some strengthening. My 109 pilot (Raymarine Linear Arm) was fitted to engine bulkhead with an additional large piece of wood to strengthen it. If I were sailing the boat again I would upgrade the mounting (under use in heavy weahter you could see/hear things moving about a bit). It does of course depend on what conditions you want to use the pilot, motoring in flat water or with sails up in 30 knots of breeze when racing. On the 105 the mount was strong but in heavy weather we broke the steering quadrant (ie pilot arm and mounting in tack, quadrant broke at point arm was mounted as the hole drilled for the mounting weakened it).

One quick question regarding hiking downwind.

Hard downwind, how often do you hike through the pushpit (legs out, upper body through it)?

Do the mooring cleats get in the way for 1) crew just forward of the pushpit and/or 2) crew hiking through the pushpit?

Hard downwind, how often do you hike through the pushpit (legs out, upper body through it)?

Do the mooring cleats get in the way for 1) crew just forward of the pushpit and/or 2) crew hiking through the pushpit?

in anticipation, we've stuck retractable cleats on ours

Which ones?

When it is blowing old boots, on the plane at 25+ kts. Space is tight so I would say more emphasis on just getting someone or 2 back there in the breeze

Cleat is just forward of the pushpit next to the kite turning block so doesn't get in the way of anyone

Which ones?

Not sure - just asked the dealer to stick them on before we play on her - contact J-uk, they will let you know; they will be the little pop-up ones.

J

I like it.

if you're referring to the pop-up cleats, so do we.

Having said that, I'm sure that someone will leave their knackers behind on gybe when they sit on one and release it - so we'll probably have to stick them down anyway.

The more weight at the back the better, me thinks...

Has anyone yet developed a good polar table to use in our racing software?

I ginned one up doing some takeoffs from the IRC chart in Stephanes site, but would like to see if anyone has developed a more accurate and comprehensive table.

I ginned one up doing some takeoffs from the IRC chart in Stephanes site, but would like to see if anyone has developed a more accurate and comprehensive table.

You could start from these ORC Club certificates. Note that beat and run are VMG values. You need to calculte BSP by dividing with cos(TWA).

http://noordzeeclub.nl/rating/orc_rms/rms/NEDC9111.PDF

http://noordzeeclub.nl/rating/orc_rms/rms/SUIC2193.PDF

Also the sails may be different from yours.

You could start from these ORC Club certificates. Note that beat and run are VMG values. You need to calculte BSP by dividing with cos(TWA).

http://noordzeeclub.nl/rating/orc_rms/rms/NEDC9111.PDF

http://noordzeeclub.nl/rating/orc_rms/rms/SUIC2193.PDF

Also the sails may be different from yours.

and sailing in fresh water!

thanks

Minimum, 10 J111 from 6 nations racing in 3 weeks during Spi Ouest France in La Trinite

3 French, 3 English, 1 Netherlands, 1 Italian, 1 Belgium, 1 Sweden

Way cool.

Blur seems to be the last one to splash. Below how it looked earlier this week, but everything seems to be on track... A big puzzle that should come together on march 30: Boat from Les Sables d'Olonne, wheel arrived from Carbonautica in Slovakia, sails from North in Nevada and Sri Llanka will be shipped directly to Vannes, NXR instruments ready at Nexus in Stockholm and some final touches to the running rigging today back home in Gothenburg.

Then a week for rig rune, calibration and hopefully some practice. Will be a steep learning curve.

Another cool thing - we're bringing a "media man" that will shoot video + stills focusing exclusive on the J/111 class. J/boats is providing a RIB for him. So hopefully we'll be able to provide daily wrap-ups and some cool video from the races. Let's just hope for some nice weather.

419771_10150588633970677_66798180676_9290478_1792289904_n.jpg

For local handicap racing we've decided on either a code 0 (55% mid girth) or a code 1 (65% mid girth).

Would be great to get some input on what's working, range (TWA/TWS), sweetspots and when you get overpowered?

Naturally there's a "rating cost" - but both sails seems to cost the same here (+1%) - code 0 being more versatile, code 1 being bigger.

540403_10150608247320677_66798180676_9359186_1001659591_n.jpg

Testing the NXR kit in the old boat.

J/111 #69 splashes on friday :D