Editor

J/111 Goes Sailing...

OD = furlers

not using them is generally a jib batten thing.

i understand about the battens, but in Blur's video, of what i thought was OD sailing, it looks like one boat is furling, but the rest are not furling.

are people in the US mostly choosing to furl, and take a credit..., or mostly not furling, because the jib is better?

In the videos from Spi Ouest there's both boats with horisontal battens (taking the jib down) and vertical battens (furling). All boats are required to have the furler on, but furling in itself is optional except for #3. Besides better shape with horizontal battens there's the advantage of headsail changes being much faster.

(2) The jib shall be attached to the standard roller furling system.

(3) The OSR Heavy Weather Jib must be capable of furling.

In IRC the top boats replace the furler with a tuff luff.

We're doing horizontal battens + swivel down when racing fully crewed. Furling battens in #2 and #3 when doublehanded.

so, do you have two #1 and #2's?

We're doing horizontal battens + swivel down when racing fully crewed. Furling battens in #2 and #3 when doublehanded.

so, do you have two #1 and #2's?

#1 = 3Di - horisontal battens only. Used primarily with full crew or very light shorthanded.

#2 = 3Di - double set of battens. Horisontal for fully crewed + furling for shorthanded (this sail is up 80% of the time).

#3.5 = 3DL Marathon - short horisontal battens when fully crewed + no battens shorthanded or cruising.

J/111 Blur³ | upwind sails

On the 109 we ended uw with separate sails for full crewed and solo/double.

Now we're trying to get a more versatile inventory.

For some reason :D I keep getting requests for the polars.

So I wrote a short piece on J/111 polars & tuning guides.

If you have more useful info, tuning guides, tips & trix, links ... please drop me an email on peter@blur.se.

It would be useful for all of us if all performance data was collected in one place?

That's fantastic what you've put together Peter. Thanks for sharing.

In the diagram you built to reflect the Code Zero, it looks like you have it as ineffective below 75 TWA in 4 knots. With the cut of yours being more like a genny (55% instead of 75% at midgirth I think you said) I would've thought you could carry it closer than that. How has your experience been close reaching at different angles and speeds?

Thanks

That's fantastic what you've put together Peter. Thanks for sharing.

In the diagram you built to reflect the Code Zero, it looks like you have it as ineffective below 75 TWA in 4 knots. With the cut of yours being more like a genny (55% instead of 75% at midgirth I think you said) I would've thought you could carry it closer than that. How has your experience been close reaching at different angles and speeds?

We're still learning here. Got the code early june and need more time.

The issue in the light stuff is that the boat powers up really quick. So TWA 80 rapidly becomes AWA 35 :D At times we're going 140% of TWS... Just wild.

In a bit more pressure I'm sore we'll be able to point more, but then it's more a matter of when we're getting overpowered...

What a great week with 3 separate events over 9 days. 10 J111's raced the Chicago Mac, delivered to Harbor Springs for a 4 race one design regatta on Friday finishing with the Ugotta Regatta tour of the bay Sat and 2 W/L Sun. Tight competition for sure.

Thanks to the Velocity and crew for coming in from out East.

What a great week with 3 separate events over 9 days. 10 J111's raced the Chicago Mac, delivered to Harbor Springs for a 4 race one design regatta on Friday finishing with the Ugotta Regatta tour of the bay Sat and 2 W/L Sun. Tight competition for sure.

Was the Mac Race run in pure one-design format with first to finish or was it handicapped based on sail inventory, etc? Noticed some boats were carrying code zeros, is there a standard class rating for this setup? It seems like the code zero is becoming standard in the class, but every sailmaker has a slight variation on size & shape.

Was the Mac Race run in pure one-design format with first to finish or was it handicapped based on sail inventory, etc? Noticed some boats were carrying code zeros, is there a standard class rating for this setup? It seems like the code zero is becoming standard in the class, but every sailmaker has a slight variation on size & shape.

Pure One Design for the 111's in the Mac, no handicapping. Only time the code zero comes out is for distance racing.

268207_10151963768620463_1076367121_n.jpg

Image from Sunday AM Harbor Springs, MI

You're welcome! It was a blast sailing with and against you guys - we'll see you again next week at the Verve.

It'd be great to have some of you out to the Chesapeake next season, we've got some great racing on the Bay!

Oh yeah, here's a shot from the Mackinac Island Marina after the race with 6 or 7 J/111's in frame. The Mac was awesome!

I can't even imagine how much fun it was to race that race in a J/111 One Design! I bet the participants are still smiling!

Oh yeah, here's a shot from the Mackinac Island Marina after the race with 6 or 7 J/111's in frame. The Mac was awesome!

I can't even imagine how much fun it was to race that race in a J/111 One Design! I bet the participants are still smiling!

Ear to ear! The best part was when we hit the corner above Gray's Reef just as the wind shifted southwest and wound up to 18-20 as we launched the A3 and then 20-23 soon after. We were running boatspeeds in the 12-14kt range with water flying everywhere and the whole crew on the rail getting soaked in the pitch black at 3AM overhauling boats and laughing all the way to the bridge. The race was super tight but "The Reach" was completely worth the price of admission.

It was my first Mac and it was a blast!

Ear to ear! The best part was when we hit the corner above Gray's Reef just as the wind shifted southwest and wound up to 18-20 as we launched the A3 and then 20-23 soon after. We were running boatspeeds in the 12-14kt range with water flying everywhere and the whole crew on the rail getting soaked in the pitch black at 3AM overhauling boats and laughing all the way to the bridge. The race was super tight but "The Reach" was completely worth the price of admission.

Surprised more didn't do the same, it was a blast and a perfect end to the race. You guys made a serious run for it...

You were on "Mental"?

Velocity out of Annapolis.

Are you happy with the 3DL's? any problems in light air and lump?

Very happy. Used 3Di for two seasons on the 109 as well and it's hard to go back to anything else.

I never reflected over light/lumpy being an issue as any modern material would behave similar in those conditions. And the rest of the package is carbon/nanoubes/sk90 anyways. So pretty stiff :D

20120818-tjc3b6rn-runt-blur1583-kopia-72.jpg

We had a busy weekend with #69:

Friday: sunny downwind feeder race for Around Tjörn. #1 on both time and corrected.

Saturday: 3rd over all of 439 boats in 28 mile Around Tjörn, Sweden's largest yacht race (above). Lost to two ell sailed First 40's that just trucked in TWS 14-18 knots. Downwind we did 15 knots just a few feet from the rocks. More photos.

Sunday: did the same course again, this time solo racing against 8 other boats. Didn't win but it was a great way to get to know the beast. Some clips below.

Thanks very much for the video. Have you single-handed her yet in 15 knots+ with the chute up? If so, how was it? Letterbox drop still go ok?

Had 18-20 knots once and letterbox works fine. But a bit scary at times :blink: There's also a 157 sqm kite that becomes a handful in 10 knots...

I will probably start using my spinnaker socks for our shorthanded racing.

excellent video as always, Blur. Great job.

Does your helm massively load up when you are on the cusp of applying the power?

Jem

Does your helm massively load up when you are on the cusp of applying the power?

Not really. I find it easy to put the boat where I want it, and it doesn't load up - until it's to late...

as we were trying to go as fast as possible in just 20 knots, we were pushing it a bit to far :P

Not been a J like this since the 125!

Nice Vid's Dr. Peter

Did you never quite grow out of funk though :P

Fun stuff Peter! We are in Porto, Portugal now and planning to bring the boat to Malmo next year (my company has an office in Malmo and I've been pushing to transfer there). Can't wait to sail those waters on the Swedish coast. Looks awesome.

Fun stuff Peter! We are in Porto, Portugal now and planning to bring the boat to Malmo next year (my company has an office in Malmo and I've been pushing to transfer there). Can't wait to sail those waters on the Swedish coast. Looks awesome.

Cool. Shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with the right people in Malmö. And I'd be happy to guide you if you go up the west coast.

It had been blowing 28 knots steady with 36 in the puffs all day. Time for some speeding before putting the boat on the hard for the winter. 10 minutes before leaving the dock the wind went away. F*ck! A fun ride in 20-24 knots of wind, but still not over the magical 20 knote speed barrier.

It had been blowing 28 knots steady with 36 in the puffs all day. Time for some speeding before putting the boat on the hard for the winter. 10 minutes before leaving the dock the wind went away. F*ck! A fun ride in 20-24 knots of wind, but still not over the magical 20 knote speed barrier.

Nice video. I was surprised to see a sock in use at the end when dousing...

Nice video. I was surprised to see a sock in use at the end when dousing...

As said, we were prepared for 28-36 knots, and in October that can be pretty radical up here.

Another issue is "runway" in the archipelago where the downwind legs was down to 8 minutes...

Better safe than sorry.

I've been sailing without all season, both doublehanded and solo. But especially for the whomper (157 sqm) a sock would be come in handy when shorthanded.

Stephane, I hope you had a great season.

The polar seems strange. I can't see us doing TWA=38 in 4 knots of wind (more like +45. Or TWA=26 in 20 knots. The original VPP says 36 but to get maximum VMG I find we're going lower than that.

Also downwind. Do you really have TWA=143 from 2-35 knots? Have you verified the speeds downwind?

Hello,

I confirme the data,

upwind we build the target speed and after we reduce the angle

downwind first is target 143 to 145 TWA and after speed is comming

we work always with Adrena et Optima, with this parameters (table3)

polar

Stephane, I hope you had a great season.

The polar seems strange. I can't see us doing TWA=38 in 4 knots of wind (more like +45. Or TWA=26 in 20 knots. The original VPP says 36 but to get maximum VMG I find we're going lower than that.

Also downwind. Do you really have TWA=143 from 2-35 knots? Have you verified the speeds downwind?

the table says TWA, but maybe those upwind angles are AWA?

I confirme the data,

upwind we build the target speed and after we reduce the angle

downwind first is target 143 to 145 TWA and after speed is comming

we work always with Adrena et Optima, with this parameters (table3)

polar

Considering that an IACC v5 (the old America's Cup class) had TWA 36-38° in 10 knots of wind and maxed out at TWA 30° in a blow, I'm a bit surprised that you say you have TWA 26°!? A TP52 is at 40° in 10 knots and max out at 37°.

If you tacking through 52° doing 7.3 you'll win most of the regattas down there :D

For comparison I attached our polar. Upwind we're pretty much at the same BSP/TWA as the designer- and ORCi-polars suggest, even if we find that we can hit maximum speed 7.3-7.4 at lower and lower TWS throughout the season. I guess training helps.

post-5025-0-94581100-1349626188_thumb.png

Downwind we're high in the light stuff (TWA 135) and when planing (TWS 140-150). In between, we're in displacement mode and find that soaking down as low as possible gives us best VMG. This is the way everyone was sailing at Spi Ouest as well?

The little bulge at TWA 90-105 is the code 0.

Blur - I see the upwind boat speed as less than 7 knots and max reaching speed 9 knots, seems a bit low particularly upwind ?

Raced against J111 on a custom Corby 37 ft asymmetric with lots of stability at the weekend in 8-12 knots true on a passage race course out and back - under code-zero boats sailed about even to their rating differences (1.09 vs 1.045), downwind at top end of wind range Corby could hang on reaching under kite at 90 apparent, as it got lighter J111 extended to take out 15 mins in 15 miles, enough for an easy handicap win.

Blur - I see the upwind boat speed as less than 7 knots and max reaching speed 9 knots, seems a bit low particularly upwind ?

Raced against J111 on a custom Corby 37 ft asymmetric with lots of stability at the weekend in 8-12 knots true on a passage race course out and back - under code-zero boats sailed about even to their rating differences (1.09 vs 1.045), downwind at top end of wind range Corby could hang on reaching under kite at 90 apparent, as it got lighter J111 extended to take out 15 mins in 15 miles, enough for an easy handicap win.

Max upwind target is 7.35. VMG speeds downwind are accurate up to 24 knots TWS.

TWA 90-130 in higher wind speeds might be inaccurate due to little testing. This is a weak spot for the J/111 since we don't have the stability. We're experimenting with A5 and code 0 and even jib reaching but are still trying to figure out some of the cross overs. It's very easy to get ambitious - and overpowered :D

90 AWA in 12 TWS might is about 135 TWA = 9 knots.

for exemple data from last week in Lorient

http://lejouet.eu/images/Polair4.jpg

for 12 knots of true wind speed

Looks correct in the software, but numbers are impossible.

Are you sure your calibration is correct?

we had the same problem with a NKE sistem without the clinometer

TWA goes narrower and narrower as the boat heel

if the Adrena took the raw data from instrument and does not backcalculation here's tha 26 can compare as TWA....

by the way 26 TWA it's not possible

d.

The 2013 J/111 North American Championships (hopefully worlds, if we can get some European teams to come) have been granted to Chicago Yacht Club to be held at its Belmont Station, August 15-18, 2013. We are sorting out the details, but wanted to get the date out to people as soon as possible, so they can make plans. At this point we know that free dockage will be available to the out of town boats for the event, and the the Verve cup the weekend prior.

Much more information to follow. Please join us!

While your at it come in early and knock the Chicago to Mackinac race off you bucket list.

Last year we had 10 111's race North... why not more?!?

July 13, 2013

In fact, within a 4 week period, a travelling J/111 could participate in the Chicago Mac, the Harbor Springs Ugotta Regatta, the Chicago Yacht Club Verve Cup (which will be used as pre-NA's, and the NA's themselves. All ONE DESIGN starts.

That timetable sounds really good for a charter. Let us know if any options become available.

Even better if we can buy sails/sheets/halyards/bottom job as the charter fee.

Pros and cons of NKE instruments for a J/111

We are sailing hull #17 on SF Bay. We seriously looked at NKE and it was highly recommended because of the regatta processing unit option (25 Hz), directly related to optimal autopilot functionality as we will be doing mostly short handed racing and day sailing. We had the privilege to sail with Bob Congdon (EuroMarineTrading-representing NKE - who is a great guy and scary knowledgeable) on Rag Bag's NKE equiped J-111 #4 "INVISIBLE HAND" here on SF Bay. Impressive gear, effortless calibration and very acurate data output. I am sure Rag Bag and or Bob would be happy to expand further on the benifits of NKE. We also considered Nexus gear; I think BLUR equiped his #69 with a Nexus suite and could provide insight on that fine gear. However as we have used B&G for over a decade and are very comfortable with the interface we decided to stay with what we were familiar with. We also opted for the B&G Zeus system at the nav station. In addition to the navigaton, chartplotting and instrurment repeater function it adds a "Sonic Hub" Audio Server which integrates (an OEM'd Fusion Audio) iPod/MP3/Satellite Radio and Satellite Weather functionality which is kind of cool...The B&G gear is working great for us, however I think both the NKE and Nexus gear we considered are top drawer.

We've been running Nexus on our last three boats and are super happy with that. B&G have had limited support in our area, so that (along with x2 cost) pretty much sets the agenda. Also we're doing most of our calculations in Expedition, so sensors are more important than a fancy processor. Our Nexus setup: http://www.blur.se/2012/03/20/j111-blur³-instrument/

On the J/111 we wanted a real autopilot, and choose NKE Gyropilot. As our boat was built in France it was easy to get it installed, but then had some issues with initial setup as well att NMEA integration. After we got that sorted it worked beautifully. We're getting wind data over NMEA fron the Nexus system. Naturally it's a pain to get support from France, but we didn't have many options.

From a quality standpoint I wouldn't hesitate to go with a full NKE setup. Together with Nexus (Garmin) and Tacktick (Raymarine) I think it's great value for money. B&G is still the choice of most grand prix projects, but is more expensive and demands more time from your navigator.

I would choose system based on local support, both designing the system but also calibrating and getting the most out of it.

Hi Peter, hi Guys,

We are sailing hull n°68, Djinn - sistership of Blur ;-) - Our playground is mainly South of UK, North of France, North of the Netherlands..(BENELUX)

Like Peter said, and after many hesitations between B&G and NKE...we decided to go for a nice hybrid system, cheaper (B&G is really expensive) but we think better?

We have a full NKE setup (NKE Gyropilot, Multifunction Gyrographics, Fluxgate, Electromagnetic loch,...) in addition with Raymarine Wireless racing displays on the mast (tacktick). Really nice setup, very precise and fast.

Only issues are for support and initial setup. NKE needs some "time" to get the chlid-problems solved.

For the nav', we have a fitpc, OS Windows7, big LED flat screen (neovo), and the ADRENA Pro Offshore software. Very useful to workout our polars and try to get some progress.

http://www.adrena.fr/en/Gamme-Pro/range-pro.html

These J-111 are just amazing and need a lot of experience and fine-tuning te get the most out of it...But if you succeed...you'll be the leader of the band in each race. Our Dutch friends from Xcentric Ripper are really flying on the water...We did some IRC races together, they finished each times on the podium..racing X-44's 38's, Grand Soleil's 43, 39, J-122's, First 40-45-50, Swan 45's, ....Just amazing!

We had a first training session with them last sunday and they gave us some advices to accelerate our "progress" (with 2 other J-111, J-Bie and Sweeny). We are really excited sailing this great boat...

Greetz from Brussels,

jp

Hi Peter, hi Guys,

We are sailing hull n°68, Djinn - sistership of Blur ;-) - Our playground is mainly South of UK, North of France, North of the Netherlands..(BENELUX)

Like Peter said, and after many hesitations between B&G and NKE...we decided to go for a nice hybrid system, cheaper (B&G is really expensive) but we think better?

We have a full NKE setup (NKE Gyropilot, Multifunction Gyrographics, Fluxgate, Electromagnetic loch,...) in addition with Raymarine Wireless racing displays on the mast (tacktick). Really nice setup, very precise and fast.

Only issues are for support and initial setup. NKE needs some "time" to get the chlid-problems solved.

For the nav', we have a fitpc, OS Windows7, big LED flat screen (neovo), and the ADRENA Pro Offshore software. Very useful to workout our polars and try to get some progress.

http://www.adrena.fr.../range-pro.html

These J-111 are just amazing and need a lot of experience and fine-tuning te get the most out of it...But if you succeed...you'll be the leader of the band in each race. Our Dutch friends from Xcentric Ripper are really flying on the water...We did some IRC races together, they finished each times on the podium..racing X-44's 38's, Grand Soleil's 43, 39, J-122's, First 40-45-50, Swan 45's, ....Just amazing!

We had a first training session with them last sunday and they gave us some advices to accelerate our "progress" (with 2 other J-111, J-Bie and Sweeny). We are really excited sailing this great boat...

Greetz from Brussels,

jp

Hi JP,

Would you be able to share your tuning advice from Xcentric Ripper?

We have just splashed here in Hong Kong with #77 Mojito (a long wait after Cowes), and are looking to get up to speed for IRC racing as no OD here......yet!

Cheers, fom the year round place to sail.

Hi Jolly,

I wasn't in cowes this year, you met Sebastien I suppose. He told me about Mojito. You had some nice races over there...

Hong Kong...great city. Was there in september 2010 for business.

Of course I will be happy to share the advices (its huge and still in move - 3 other training sessions in the next months)..Just need some time to write it in English (or maybe you understand French or Dutch?).

Can you send me an email jpsmal@gmail.com or jps@punch.be, will be easier to stay in touch.

First things you need to do is to tune up your mast & rigging. Is your mast still in its original rigging setup?

Cheers from snowy Brussels.

jp

Hi There,

nice program...a dream for us to come over.

This year will not be possible..but who knows the future!

Posted on our facebook group / just4sailing

cheers,

jp

Posted in the J111 NA's thread but wanted to get it out here as well...

Hello All,

Anyone who is considering coming in from out of town to Chicago to take advantage of the full month of One Design fun (over 12 days of 1D J111 racing) starting with the 105th Race to Mackinac ending with the NAC's please. please, please click through on the link http://competitor.cy...requestinfo.cfm to request an invitation to participate sooner rather than later.

This is a popular race that will fill to capacity and we would like you to be able to join us as we sail up the lake. Last year we had a 10 boat section battling all the way north with only an hour spread for the section, 6 111's finished in the top 10 for the Mackinac Cup.

If you ever wanted to cross this, the oldest annual fresh water distance race in the world, off your bucket list with your boat then this could be the perfect time to come to Chicago!

J-111 Xcentric Ripper (NL) - WInner of the Grevelingencup winterseries 2012-13!

Congrats from the Djinn Racing Team!

We are still in a huge learning curve, tx to our Flying Dutch friends tips & hints, the process is faster!

Be aware, they are going for the Fastnet in doublehanded, we are in with our offshore racing crew! Stay tuned ;-))

post-59161-0-29546300-1363554851_thumb.jpg

UNCHAINED

Thanks to some shiny new Doyle sails and the sheer awesomeness that Clean bring to any team (HA!), Django, the first J/111 to hit New Zealand, crushed the competition in her first outing; a Wednesday night on the harbour. In a fleet filled with whacky canters and huge-rigged sporties, the J/111 seems to go just fine, thank you very much! Photos thanks to Atka Reid; that's Doyle NZ's Andy Pilchard, owner AJ Reid, and me in the bar shot.

Meanwhile, Anyone looking to escape the Austral winter or otherwise interested in a month of J/111 one-design racing in Chicago should check this link out.

IMG_1667.jpg

photo.jpg

I'm sorry but in your link I can see one big canter and no sportboats, unless you call a Ker 40 a sportboat. It did exceptionally well in that race compared to the races it has entered in since then, must be the Mr Clean factor.

Looking at the overall results in racetrack in my opinion if I was looking to spend big bucks buying a new 35fter to race in the NZ fleet(no measurement rules), the J-111 isn't much of a step up in performance for the extra outlay. It is competeing against similar size boats from the 80's/90's, and is below boats like the Ross 10.66 higher ground which was built in 1989. If you really want a step up in peformance I suggest you look at the new Elliott 35SS which is sailing about 15% faster than the J-111 http://www.salthouseboats.com/production-boat-elliott35ss.html

Looking at the overall results in racetrack in my opinion if I was looking to spend big bucks buying a new 35fter to race in the NZ fleet(no measurement rules), the J-111 isn't much of a step up in performance for the extra outlay. It is competeing against similar size boats from the 80's/90's, and is below boats like the Ross 10.66 higher ground which was built in 1989. If you really want a step up in peformance I suggest you look at the new Elliott 35SS which is sailing about 15% faster than the J-111 http://www.salthouse...lliott35ss.html

I'm sure you have some kind of agenda ;) but you might cut them some slack, since they're new to the boat and need the season to get up to speed. It's up against Elliott 12s and the very successful First 40. Pretty ok for a production 35-footer. On the "No measurement rules", sure, seems to be plenty of them http://www.aucklandr...NM Race 1-4.pdf

Naturally you can't compare the J/111 to Elliott 35SS or Shaw 11, that are full out carbon racers with canting keels costing 20-50% more (yeah, I did the comparison before buying the 111). Completely different tools. As is getting a 35' cat to go 115% faster than the Elliott 35SS :D

Looking at the overall results in racetrack in my opinion if I was looking to spend big bucks buying a new 35fter to race in the NZ fleet(no measurement rules), the J-111 isn't much of a step up in performance for the extra outlay. It is competeing against similar size boats from the 80's/90's, and is below boats like the Ross 10.66 higher ground which was built in 1989. If you really want a step up in peformance I suggest you look at the new Elliott 35SS which is sailing about 15% faster than the J-111 http://www.salthouse...lliott35ss.html

I'm sure you have some kind of agenda ;) but you might cut them some slack, since they're new to the boat and need the season to get up to speed. It's up against Elliott 12s and the very successful First 40. Pretty ok for a production 35-footer. On the "No measurement rules", sure, seems to be plenty of them http://www.aucklandr...NM Race 1-4.pdf

Naturally you can't compare the J/111 to Elliott 35SS or Shaw 11, that are full out carbon racers with canting keels costing 20-50% more (yeah, I did the comparison before buying the 111). Completely different tools. As is getting a 35' cat to go 115% faster than the Elliott 35SS :D

Blur, you just spanked the smallest of the true falcons. Isn't there some humane society org. that should complain?

Thanks for the shout out Clean, anyone with interests in bringing your 111 to Chicago for the 2013 summer can start with the 105th Chicago Mac and end with the North American championships. Up to 12+ days of one design racing over a 6 week period... shoot me a note.

With more than 10 boats on lake Michigan you can really get a feel for one design on the boats. We had 10 in the Mac last year and had a great close race all the way.

Thanks for your post, Peter - we are stoked with the new boat (which is Hull #1, the old "Stella"), and just getting our heads around sailing it. Might take us a decade or so! Thanks for all the info you post on Blur, it's super useful to us in learning our boat. And re the Elliot 35SS, you're right - this is an amazing boat, but quite a bit more $$$ than our 111's. It's seems to be a fundamental physical law of yacht racing - linear speed increases require exponential $$$$ increases!! A couple of pix of Django attached - the new Doyle's light headsail is looking very good.

post-92543-0-93701300-1364591561_thumb.jpg

post-92543-0-51440700-1364591566_thumb.jpg

I just got the latest issue of the biggest sailing rag here, Segling, where they review the J/111. We had the test team out on a windy day in august, and managed to put some smiles on their faces. Video above. One is the author of the book "700 tested sailboats" (!) - and I've never read such a passionate review!!
Some quotes:

The lines are swanky, the speed amazing and control direct and distinct.

Do you love speed and have 2 million left over. Then the J/111 might be the boat for you.

The long sprit was introduced by J/boats on the J/105 and it offers fabulous control. We managed to broach anyway, because we laughed too much and trimmed to little, when the boat thundered away in 15-16 knots.

Segling-testar-J111-cover.jpg

First training session this year. Always good to start the season with a +20 knots run :D

mrstrnd-training-6.jpg

Are Blur doing the Europeans?

Sadly, we're not. To much going on here to squeeze it into the schedule.

I'm project manager for the Marström 32 Cup. Wonderful carbon cats, great sailors and exciting racing, but it means we can't get involved in any big projects with the 111 (note to self: don't make sailing your job)...

That's a shame - though as it's in Le Havre, perhaps you're not missing out on much!

Envious of the M32 aspect though - look like a fun ride.

S.

MADMEN's first regatta and video...St. Francis YC Aldo Alessio.

Great fun; the learning continues!

Props to the owner's son Max (home from college) for video edit and production.

Last Sunday on Auckland harbour....getting faster