• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Editor

J/111 Goes Sailing...

What amaze me is the quantity of footage you need to have to make something interesting... and you do this while racing solo. Thanks a LOT. I love your videos , they inspire me!

p.s: nice cap , Stu Johnstone would be proud :D

Hi Peter,

We've missed you during past World Champs in Cowes! Sure you could be part of the pack with your great skills and speed!

Next year it's in the US, we had a meeting with Jeff Johnstone about the pratical organization and logistics for Europeans to be part of it.

He told us that JBoats will have a dedicated organizer to assure better communication between the 2 markets and trying to get as much as possible J-111 in the next champs. They have sold around 120 boats worldwide actually.

The "after racing" parties were not so good as during the Spi Ouest 12! ;)

Shmoking Joe, McFLy and J-Lance are the winners…they fly away upwind.

Djinn as "the learning rookie" team (550kg on 650 admitted!!) did some nice legs and less f…ups.

Overall, very happy about our starts in this very competitive, challenging fleet. For the rest (boat handling, boat speed, tactics), it is just about long-term dedication as well as practice, practice and more practice to climb up the ladder

best regards from Brussels,

jp

JP,

this year the worlds collided with my "day job" of running M32 Cup (we're racing in Malmö/Copenhagen).

Next year, when I have a bit more control of my schedule, we'll either do Fastnet Race or the Worlds in Newport. We'll decide shortly.

Any observation on what made the top boats go fast?

Here's a few shots from the Silverrudder Challenge in Denmark. Apparently the worlds biggest singlehanded offshore race with almost 200 boats.

The 140 mile course took me 29 hours with lots of light wind, current and sail shifts. It all payed off since I won the class and was fastest monohull around the island...

Here's a few shots from the Silverrudder Challenge in Denmark. Apparently the worlds biggest singlehanded offshore race with almost 200 boats.

The 140 mile course took me 29 hours with lots of light wind, current and sail shifts. It all payed off since I won the class and was fastest monohull around the island...

Did you not have the lazy spinnaker sheet run for the first gybe? Well done.

Did you not have the lazy spinnaker sheet run for the first gybe? Well done.

I had it run around the lifeline... If things can go wrong, they will.

But the upside: I got the perfect passing lane - so the timing was good :-)

Yup....we're in search for yet ANOTHER used J/111 for a buyer in SF Bay. If anyone's thinking about selling, I've got a guy VERY interested. Ping me a message please.

This one has a custom kelp cutter that my client does not want to fuss with.

Agree 100%...Blur videos are AWESOME!

This one has a custom kelp cutter that my client does not want to fuss with.

Agree 100%...Blur videos are AWESOME!

I noticed that too, it there a significant time and expense to removing kelp cutting gear? That's the only used J111 in North America and this one has lasted on the used market longer than any other. Aside from the boat being only the 3rd built the kelp cutter is the only detractor I can imagine, both reasons I wouldn't consider a deal breaker. But I suppose people do consider those negatives.

I know of one coming on market in N.Y.

owner is trading it in on a new boat and will take same amount of trade $

Peter, cool dodger. What is it made of? What gives it stiffness and who made it? I want one.

Peter, cool dodger. What is it made of? What gives it stiffness and who made it? I want one.

:D I made it myself. It's made of two layers of camping sleeping mat, glued together plus a soft batten at the back to give some extra stiffness. Covered in canvas and made to slide back and forth over the companionway. Easily removed and stored flat.

More photos: https://www.facebook.com/BlurSailingTeam/posts/10153090619850677

Bonus: muffles all sound, so it gets really quiet down below.

Actually I'm meeting with a Danish company that's interested in producing some. Stay tuned.

Peter, I've stared and stared at your pictures of your spray dodger and can't figure it out. It what way are the two camping mats glued together? Face to face, end to end, or side to side? It looks like a single sheet, perhaps double thickness, but where do you get a camping mat that is both wide enough and long enough? What I find are long, but not very wide. Like 2m x .6m or something like that.

Peter, I've stared and stared at your pictures of your spray dodger and can't figure it out. It what way are the two camping mats glued together? Face to face, end to end, or side to side? It looks like a single sheet, perhaps double thickness, but where do you get a camping mat that is both wide enough and long enough? What I find are long, but not very wide. Like 2m x .6m or something like that.

I think I had 4 mats, 2 layers in "opposite direction" to get 1.2 x 1.2 meter, glue together with sika to get double thickness.

Thanks blursailing - these guys provide some of the best sailing vids anywhere! I only wish I could figure out how they get some of their shots...

Thanks blursailing - these guys provide some of the best sailing vids anywhere! I only wish I could figure out how they get some of their shots...

Thanks. My crew complains about my double duty as media man, but when it's -10 and snowstorm outside we're pretty happy we put in the effort.

We use a "poor man's drone" i e a 5 m long carbon stick made out of two shorter ones. Works great.

Thanks. My crew complains about my double duty as media man, but when it's -10 and snowstorm outside we're pretty happy we put in the effort.

We use a "poor man's drone" i e a 5 m long carbon stick made out of two shorter ones. Works great.

It appears you often use the head strap also. But your "storyboard," editing, effects are very professional too. Great stuff...

Hey Peter,

question regarding your sails: why is the staysail so high above deck? Although it doesn't make much sense do design it as a deck sweeper yours seems to be extremely high above deck (higher than what I have seen on other boats).

Hey Peter,

question regarding your sails: why is the staysail so high above deck? Although it doesn't make much sense do design it as a deck sweeper yours seems to be extremely high above deck (higher than what I have seen on other boats).

This was just a temporary solution with a a dyneema bridle to try out the correct tack point.

We did lots of work with the staysail on the J/109, and got it very efficient in most conditions.

With the same setup on the J/111 we got almost no effect. So we've been trying several different tack points, ending up quite far aft. The main effect of the staysail is to increase the flow on the the back of the main, and the bigger STL on the J/111 make the geometry quite different compared to most boats.

You can see the same thing on Comanche and other bigger boats, where the staysail ends up very close to the mast.

Now we're getting ~1.5% speed increase in many conditions, so worth the effort.

So the bulkhead aft of the anchor locker is too much forward as tacking point for the staysail?

What size of staysail did you use and on which TWA and in combination with which gennaker?

@ZeeZee, we started out at this point but ended up about a meter further aft.

The staysail is just 23 m2 so a bit small to work as a windseeker. Maximizing area isn't very important for a staysail, but rather how it fits within the geometry. Now we use it from 6-8 knots up to planing mode when we usually let the jib stay up). So far we've got it to work in TWA 135-160 with positive effect in combo with both A2 and A3 as long as it doesn't cause trouble for the trimmer.

Depending how much rating hit you get, it may be worth the 1-1.5% speed increase.

One backside offshore is that it needs to be trimmed with the chute if you want to stay at 100%, requiring five active people (chute*2, staysail, main, driver) which is tough over a long period of time.

The plan for 2016 is to evaluate the storm jib in combination with A5 and C0.

We're also getting a new "J0". A 44 m2 (30% bigger than a J1) code, flat as a jib, tacked to the sprit and sheeted at the jib-track (w infuckers). Should be a weapon in the light Scandinavian summer :D

So not easy to make a solid tack fixing point 1 meter aft of the anchor locker I guess.

I'm looking forward to go out and try my new 55% Code-0 and a new J4 as soon as the boat splashes in spring again. Need to experiment with keeping the jib up/down when the genny is up. Maybe try the J4 as staysail. Size is 22m2, but geometry and to heavy fabric may be an issue.

Blur does your J4 still hoist on a furling stay? Also how will your J0 be affected by the pulpit and guard wires?

We ended up with two different jibs; one J3.5 (ISAF OSR Heavy Weather Jib) for fully crewed racing, flat w reef. Usable fron 18 knots to survival conditions. Runs in tuff-luff w horizontal battens (or could run on standard furler with furling battens).

Then another for solo/double-handed racing. Same size but more shape. Works from 8 knots and up. With similar reef, that usually goes in at ~20 knots. This one is on soft hanks on a bare forestay.

The J0 will have to go over the lifelines. We'll see how that looks. Priority is area and ability to get it sheeted for upwind.

I have soft hanks on al my headsails. Works great, especially when short handed. You can have proper horizontal battens and there is no fear of the jib blowing from the deck when doused for a gennaker leg.

I never used the furler. Just sold the entire package and when handing over the boxes to the new owner I only realized how heavy this stuff all is.

The J just does not do it for me, out of date design and deck layout. but saying that there are happy owners . The French are at the top of there game that's what I chose to sail on . I do not get why a sub 40 ft yacht has a wheel at the back of the boat taking all the space up and all that weight? I have often thought that people who sail J's wear ties. Hay Ho enjoy your plastic tub.

The J just does not do it for me, out of date design and deck layout. but saying that there are happy owners . The French are at the top of there game that's what I chose to sail on . I do not get why a sub 40 ft yacht has a wheel at the back of the boat taking all the space up and all that weight? I have often thought that people who sail J's wear ties. Hay Ho enjoy your plastic tub.

I have to agree with you on the fact that it is an out date design, however I think it offers a unique sailing experience. I race a J88 and it is indeed an out date design, max beam in the centre, L shaped keel (albeit a fabricated fin) and almost straight transom hung rudder, it is quite tender going upwind, the narrow beam and narrow transom means it heels quickly and doesn't always accelerate but there's something a bit numb about sailing a wider beamy boat especially upwind, I quite like it that the boat is twitchy, it's easier to find good balance. Their old fashioned flaws can be enjoyable, a bit like a Porsche 911, (very) outdated concept but it has been made to work and the results aren't bad

Horses for courses. In the last year we've raced the JPK 10.10, 10.80, 38 and the SunFast 3600. Also some of my crew sails on some of those designs. All examples of the "modern French IRC designs"; and naturally we enjoy different conditions.

If you race in locations where you typically get >12 knots of wind and lots of close reaces or heavy weather upwind work I'll take one of those any day. Or rather a Class 40, that I've also sailed.

But in Scandinavia many races are decided in light winds at night or in patchy archipelago conditions, and there we just smoke the "fatter" designs. To be able to beat modern 40-footers on the water both in 3-4 knots of wind as well as do 22 knots downwind in a blow is pretty unique. And naturally come's with some weaknesses :-)

On the wheel, it's a common choice for serious downwind legs offshore. Not unique to J. Personally I like it - especially shorthanded where I spend much time steering.

I have often thought this category of yacht is trying to do to many things, is it a racer or cruiser , single double handed or crewed . Nice but there is always a trade off. I myself like 5 up and two up sailing offshore in big seas. The designs are getting close but the interior and deck lay outs are still let down. Ideal boat would be no interior pipe cots, twin tiller , 5 or two handed sailing, two handed or single handed deck layout. LOA 30ft . Is there a yacht out there ?

I have often thought this category of yacht is trying to do to many things, is it a racer or cruiser , single double handed or crewed . Nice but there is always a trade off. I myself like 5 up and two up sailing offshore in big seas. The designs are getting close but the interior and deck lay outs are still let down. Ideal boat would be no interior pipe cots, twin tiller , 5 or two handed sailing, two handed or single handed deck layout. LOA 30ft . Is there a yacht out there ?

I think that the boat that you are describing is the J11s...

http://www.keyyachting.com/j-boats/j11s/

I think that the boat that you are describing is the J11s...

http://www.keyyachting.com/j-boats/j11s/

Tried a J11s no thank you.

IRC short handed boats have more interior, but maybe can have pipecots added aft. JPK 1010 or 1080, Sunfast 3200 or 3600, Ofcet 32.

I will look at the Ofcet 32 when its built and more details come online .Thanks for that.

IRC short handed boats have more interior, but maybe can have pipecots added aft. JPK 1010 or 1080, Sunfast 3200 or 3600, Ofcet 32.

I will look at the Ofcet 32 when its built and more details come online .Thanks for that.

Shaw 9, Shaw 10, Shaw 11 or a comparable Elliott.

Shaw 9, Shaw 10, Shaw 11 or a comparable Elliott.

Had a look at them, look good . My problem is I do not want to do 6 7 knots up wind , done that and I get bored quickly. I will be looking for a 28 30 ft cat. that can go offshore with minimum faf below . Crew 3 or 4 . Thanks for the feedback . Have a fab week.

Horses for courses. In the last year we've raced the JPK 10.10, 10.80, 38 and the SunFast 3600. Also some of my crew sails on some of those designs. All examples of the "modern French IRC designs"; and naturally we enjoy different conditions.

If you race in locations where you typically get >12 knots of wind and lots of close reaces or heavy weather upwind work I'll take one of those any day. Or rather a Class 40, that I've also sailed.

But in Scandinavia many races are decided in light winds at night or in patchy archipelago conditions, and there we just smoke the "fatter" designs. To be able to beat modern 40-footers on the water both in 3-4 knots of wind as well as do 22 knots downwind in a blow is pretty unique. And naturally come's with some weaknesses :-)

On the wheel, it's a common choice for serious downwind legs offshore. Not unique to J. Personally I like it - especially shorthanded where I spend much time steering.

Indeed, horses for courses.

And in addition to that: be honest on what course you are on most of the time! When watching some Vendee Globe action on YouTube, we all dream of 20+ knots of wind with 20+ knots of boat speed downwind rides. Unfortunately this may not be reality for many of us. In practice we might see many light wind days with some substantial upwind legs. So we probably better of choosing a horse that masters that.

Some other might be lucky to get these ideal downwind conditions often and they will choose their horse accordingly. The same is true for making the trade off between a boat setup for racing, cruising or any compromise in between.

In the end nothing is worse than having the wrong horse at hand during most of the time you spend on the water.

Re the discussion above...

Double-handed J/111 almost 5% faster around the course than a fully crewed SunFast 3600. 70% reaching in TWA 70-120 under white sails in 20-38 knots of wind. Sketchy at times :-)

The J/111 Perseverance (owned by Bennet Greenwald) won the Verve Cup overall trophy this year. First time a J/111 ever did that.

Double-handed J/111 almost 5% faster around the course than a fully crewed SunFast 3600. 70% reaching in TWA 70-120 under white sails in 20-38 knots of wind. Sketchy at times :-)

I would hate to buy one of your boats used, you wear those things out!

I would hate to buy one of your boats used, you wear those things out!

Some things are meant to be used. Hard. :D

As long as you don't put them away wet.

What's your rating compared to the 3600 and 1080?

Fresh water wipe off + complete dry out after every race/practice. Proactive maintenance is a big part of winning races. ZERO breakages during racing for the last two seasons (including Fastnet) :D

Locally we rate 3.3-4.2% faster than the 3600 = fair

In IRC (Fastnet) we rated 5-6.7% faster than the 3600/10.80 = tough

But we're not "IRC optimized" but set up for maximum performance in light air with OD main + max sprit + 157 m2 gennaker + big code 0. If optimized, the difference would be 2-5% and outcome muche dependent on the conditions.

Thats awesome man!! Haha...

Has anyone done a double-ended boom vang setup?  If so, any pics would be appreciated.  

Hrothgar

Variance USA 100

6 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Has anyone done a double-ended boom vang setup?  If so, any pics would be appreciated.  

Hrothgar

Variance USA 100

Should be pretty straight forward. Install one of these: http://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?id=5049&taxid=375 on each side of the cabin top. Run a continuous line through the vang.. This is what we have on the 125 and I assume a similar solution could be achieved. 

On 5/31/2017 at 4:31 PM, Sarcoma said:

Should be pretty straight forward. Install one of these: http://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?id=5049&taxid=375 on each side of the cabin top. Run a continuous line through the vang.. This is what we have on the 125 and I assume a similar solution could be achieved. 

Thats the direction we are headed.  Thanks.

Hroth

On 5/31/2017 at 9:30 AM, hrothgar said:

Hrothgar

Variance USA 100

Freedom (ex British Solider) came over with a double ended set up.  However it's not to either side of the cabin top. One end is lead to the port cabin top and the other comes out the bottom of the vang like a traditional set up.  I'll snap some pics the next time I'm out there.

All in all we like the set up and see no reason to change it.

On 2017-05-31 at 3:30 PM, hrothgar said:

Hrothgar

Variance USA 100

On Blur we go directly from the vang to each side., Red line w Spinlock PXR Cam Cleats on each side.

blur_offshore15-4.jpg

The Blur solution works well.  Add a second cascade at vang with low friction Ring (to get the block loads down). Dead-end above triple (see pic).  Then to a Harken 40mm T2 double,  make the triple from three 40mm Carbo singles (use the Jboat original bullet block SS base so the blocks swivel).   Much quicker reaction to "VANG OFF" events now. :blink:

Vang2.png

Our setup is done.  I will take some pics and post them.  Similar but not identical to what you all are talking about.

Hroth

I'm looking for J111 polar tables in a form I can load on our bandg Hercules 5000 system.  

And thank you Blur for the many ours of entertainment/instruction for getting our boat going.  After 2 seasons we finally got big wind in the thirty's, and planed at 18 knots Sog. 

On 2017-07-16 at 9:32 AM, jacksparrow said:

I'm looking for J111 polar tables in a form I can load on our bandg Hercules 5000 system.  

And thank you Blur for the many ours of entertainment/instruction for getting our boat going.  After 2 seasons we finally got big wind in the thirty's, and planed at 18 knots Sog. 

I have several polars in Expedition format, but these need to be reformatted in Excel to fit into H5000 that have a slightly differenmt syntax.

I'm guessing you're in OD konfig?

On 7/19/2017 at 0:42 PM, Blur said:

I have several polars in Expedition format, but these need to be reformatted in Excel to fit into H5000 that have a slightly differenmt syntax.

I'm guessing you're in OD konfig?

yes, race in phrf but pretty much in od config.

More stupid (?) stuff.  Sometime I like to go daysailing with my wife on our 111.  Other times we are delivering long distances.  In both cases, we can't for the life of us get the furling jib to unfuck itself.  What is happening is the halyard attached to the top drum is wrapping around the forestay, effectively jamming the whole thing up.  I like the idea of the furler for both day sailing, crusing and deliveries.  We don't use it for racing so not an issue there.  My assumption is that the top drum is fubar as it won't spin except under extreme load.  Any advice would be welcome.  We have the standard Facnor system.

Hroth

On 2017-08-29 at 2:25 PM, hrothgar said:

More stupid (?) stuff.  Sometime I like to go daysailing with my wife on our 111.  Other times we are delivering long distances.  In both cases, we can't for the life of us get the furling jib to unfuck itself.  What is happening is the halyard attached to the top drum is wrapping around the forestay, effectively jamming the whole thing up.  I like the idea of the furler for both day sailing, crusing and deliveries.  We don't use it for racing so not an issue there.  My assumption is that the top drum is fubar as it won't spin except under extreme load.  Any advice would be welcome.  We have the standard Facnor system.

Hroth

My guess is that the angle between the forestay and the halyard is to small (ie top swivel too far down). Try a lashing between the sail and the swivel to get it as high as possible to avoid the situation described.

halyard%20wrap.jpg

On 8/30/2017 at 3:38 PM, Blur said:

My guess is that the angle between the forestay and the halyard is to small (ie top swivel too far down). Try a lashing between the sail and the swivel to get it as high as possible to avoid the situation described.

halyard%20wrap.jpg

We have had the same problem numerous times while racing.  We discovered that if we leave some backstay on we are usually fine.  occasionally we have to overtension the halyard.

16 hours ago, jacksparrow said:

We have had the same problem numerous times while racing.  We discovered that if we leave some backstay on we are usually fine.  occasionally we have to overtension the halyard.

If you brought a high quality furler in the first place tgen youd find they come with a deviation block!!

Www.almasts.com.au

On 2017-09-08 at 1:13 PM, mezaire said:

If you brought a high quality furler in the first place tgen youd find they come with a deviation block!!

Www.almasts.com.au

There's nothing wrong with the Facnor furler. Or quality. It's preferred gear (together with Karver) for Thomas Coville and most IMNOCA-sailors, so I'm pretty sure it's good enough for the rest of us :)

If setup correctly it works very well, even without backstay tension.