Editor

J/111 Goes Sailing...

J111 Recon wins Round the County Overall for the second year in a row...

• Like 1

Two J/111's headed to the Salish Sea this month.  Eagles Dare (fka Invisible Hand, Hull #4, I believe) from the East Coast and we are finalizing the paperwork on Hull #94, currently in SF Bay.  Hope to have the boat in Seattle in the next 1-2 weeks and ready to race the Patos Island Race at the end of the month, then Southern Straits, Race to the Straits, and possibly Swiftsure.  

A few interesting "facts":

There are something close to 140 J/111's, most of them built between 2010 and 2015.  That's seems like a pretty good run for the price and period.  

There are/were 10 J/111's on yachtworld recently and 6 of them were sale pending.  Ours never made it to yachtworld.  I know 2 in the SF Bay area sold in less than 2 weeks.  

My wife & I are very excited about the new boat.  We hope/think it will fit very well with the type of sailing that we do in the area we sail.  It took a long time to arrive at this decision, but that means our J/120, Shearwater is for sale (and that's all I'm going to say about that, here).

• Like 1

Good luck with the new boat.  I hope someone scoops up Shearwater, she's a great boat, and you've kept her in great shape!

Congrats. You will not regret the decision.

seems an excellent choice for you - enjoy it!

(if you put a 120 and a schumacher 28 in a blender you might just get something like a 111 out of it!)

On 3/8/2020 at 7:44 PM, Roleur said:

Two J/111's headed to the Salish Sea this month.  Eagles Dare (fka Invisible Hand, Hull #4, I believe) from the East Coast and we are finalizing the paperwork on Hull #94, currently in SF Bay.  Hope to have the boat in Seattle in the next 1-2 weeks and ready to race the Patos Island Race at the end of the month, then Southern Straits, Race to the Straits, and possibly Swiftsure.  

A few interesting "facts":

There are something close to 140 J/111's, most of them built between 2010 and 2015.  That's seems like a pretty good run for the price and period.  

There are/were 10 J/111's on yachtworld recently and 6 of them were sale pending.  Ours never made it to yachtworld.  I know 2 in the SF Bay area sold in less than 2 weeks.  

My wife & I are very excited about the new boat.  We hope/think it will fit very well with the type of sailing that we do in the area we sail.  It took a long time to arrive at this decision, but that means our J/120, Shearwater is for sale (and that's all I'm going to say about that, here).

Congratulations.

My choice for more bang per buck would have been a POGO 40.

2 hours ago, marcus brutus said:

My choice for more bang per buck would have been a POGO 40

>20 knots, yes
<20 knots, no

J/111 vs Pogo 40 at 06:17 B)

1 hour ago, Blur said:

>20 knots, yes
<20 knots, no

Peter,

You posted the POGO 40S video below; so what's there not to like?

11 hours ago, marcus brutus said:

Peter,

You posted the POGO 40S video below; so what's there not to like?

As I said; >20 knots of wind, downwind over >100 nm a Class 40 (or a Pogo) is the ride you want.

For normal racing in typical summer conditions, a J/111 is 10X more fun.
And often faster around the course; elapsed times from Rolex Middle Sea Race 2019;

• Blur J/111 d4 h12 m14 s53
  • Andastra Class 40/Axion 40 d4 h17 m57 s33
  • Crazy Akilaria, Class 40 d4 h23 m34 s31
  • Akouavi Pogo 12.50 d5 h21 m58 s33